Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Body odor in the public library

I had to print my taxes and my printer is out of ink, so I went to my local public library. They have a computer lab that is open for a few hours on the weekends. %0D %0D Well, it was packed with bums and thugs. The whole classroom reeked of ashtrays and sweat and B.O. Disgusting...I wanted to call the police. If I were the librarian, each of them would have to pass the smell and good behavior test with me. %0D %0D Why do bums and thugs have free rein to pollute and disrupt public places? I live in a quaint Southern city and I don't see how you metropolitan dwellers stand it.

by Umpyreply 16409/09/2013

[quote]Why do bums and thugs have free rein to pollute and disrupt public places?

A library system in New Jersey, IIRC, tried to ban people based on smell. The ACLU sued. The library lost.

I usually cheer on the ACLU but this one aggravated me. I no longer spend time at the public library because of the smell and harassment problem. I request stuff online, pick it up at my local branch and then get out.

by Umpyreply 106/12/2011

OP

In the summer sometimes the "bums and thugs" go to such places as the library because of how there is AC.

by Umpyreply 206/12/2011

[quote]The whole classroom reeked of ashtrays

Where do you live that they allow smoking in the library?

by Umpyreply 306/12/2011

If your too fucking cheap to go to an office supply store and buy printer ink, you really shouldn't be complaining. And taxes? In June? You sound lazy too.

by Umpyreply 506/12/2011

It's the same in San Francisco. The line of people at the library door before opening is the same as the crowd at the food lines and public assistance office.

by Umpyreply 606/12/2011

I work at a public library. We had this problem for a while but then incorporated into our rules of use that anyone sleeping in the library or not wearing footwear get warned once then asked to leave the premises if there's a second incident that day. There's also a provision that if a patron complains about another patron being intrusive or offensive the situation will be evaluated with the possibility of someone being asked to leave.

More disturbing recently was a couple of heroin ODs in the bathrooms so now bathroom checks are conducted every 30-60 minutes. The other day while waiting for a light to change on a corner near the library I overheard two scruffy looking street guys (users?) complaining about how the checks have interfered with their routines.

by Umpyreply 906/12/2011

[quote]The other day while waiting for a light to change on a corner near the library I overheard two scruffy looking street guys (users?) complaining about how the checks have interfered with their routines.

LOL

by Umpyreply 1006/12/2011

One of my favorite childhood memories is of an announcement over the library PA system,

"There will be no smoking of marijuana in the library."

by Umpyreply 1106/12/2011

I used to love the quiet of the library and the smell of the books.

by Umpyreply 1206/12/2011

[quote] I remember my card with the metal plate in it.

I think you're confusing that with your head, Rumpy.

by Umpyreply 1306/12/2011

Where in the South are you, Umpy?

by Umpyreply 1406/12/2011

[quote]Where do you live that they allow smoking in the library?

No, it's the same on my city's bus system: the homeless men who smoke always reek of ashtray in the enclosed space.

by Umpyreply 1506/12/2011

Is OP Rumpy, or does someone here actually aspire to be like Rumpy? If so, he is fast gaining with the original Rumpy on the obnoxiousness scale.

by Umpyreply 1606/12/2011

Does it bother you that you keep getting banned, Umpy? Do you think it's unfair?

by Umpyreply 1906/12/2011

Dear God, you can get banned from DL? What exactly is considered unpardonable around these parts? I've seen some awfully harsh stuff.

by Umpyreply 2006/12/2011

You should have chosen Dumpy, G/R/Umpy. I thought your mental health was on the mend, LOL.

by Umpyreply 2106/12/2011

We don't rub elbows with the unwashed masses.

by Umpyreply 2206/12/2011

Fuck the 'bums and thugs', try a packed computer room in a university library full of Masters and PhD students in London. Jesus H Christ, it stinks.

by Umpyreply 2406/12/2011

Why did you get banned?

by Umpyreply 2606/12/2011

Well, thanks for answering my question, I guess. Now why don't you take the hint?

by Umpyreply 2806/12/2011

People have b.o. in England?

by Umpyreply 2906/12/2011

I hate going to the public library. I live in a fairly wealthy suburb of DC, but the homeless trash still manage to funk up the joint. If I could find a way to get online in a local university's law library (I'm not a student, but it's easily accessible), I'd stop going to the public library altogether.

by Umpyreply 3006/12/2011

I would have gone with "Lumpy."

by Umpyreply 3106/12/2011

The main branch of the Philadelphia Public Library was once a gorgeous place. I loved going after school, and well into my young adulthood, finding some books, and sequestering myself in a corner to read. At some point it all changed, and the homeless started taking over, washing their asses in the public lavatories and begging people for food and change in the library itself. I stopped going around ten years ago; it got to be too much. They have taken it over. I understand they need places to wash and crash and all, but trust me, it made the library a less pleasant place to be. So we just have to accept it because..............? I hope someone has a good answer.

by Umpyreply 3206/12/2011

Not quite Umpy, it's international students who study in England who have B.O.

by Umpyreply 3306/12/2011

[quote]People have b.o. in England?

Does a bear shit in the woods?

by Umpyreply 3406/12/2011

But to add, it's the fact they have a penchant for cheese and onion crisps (and other such stinky snack foods) that makes some of London's great libraries reek!

by Umpyreply 3506/12/2011

W&W for R13.%0D %0D I totally agree with you, R/D/L/Umpy. I grew up using the main branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library in downtown Baltimore and there is no more beautiful temple to books than that location. Last time I was there it fit your description. So sad.

by Umpyreply 3606/12/2011

Just for the record, I don't go to libraries.

by Umpyreply 3706/12/2011

On my last visit to the public library I contracted conjunctivitis.

Never.Again.

by Umpyreply 3806/12/2011

Did a bum lick your eyeballs?

by Umpyreply 3906/12/2011

Roust them all for loitering. For chrissake the public library is not a homeless shelter.

by Umpyreply 4006/12/2011

They need to ban the fucking homeless. They don't pay taxes so they don't get to use the facilities that taxpayers keep running.

by Umpyreply 4106/12/2011

Grumpy? This is you ON Cymbalta?? Lord have mercy.

by Umpyreply 4206/12/2011

What happens when you run out of vowels?

by Umpyreply 4306/12/2011

[quote]On my last visit to the public library I contracted conjunctivitis.

One lady I saw using the library computers carried hand sanitizer and wipes to clean the keyboard. I've noticed hand sanitizer dispenser near my branch's checkout counter. People have noticed there's a public health problem.

by Umpyreply 4506/12/2011

Lots of university libraries do let the local public use them. You have to register and sometimes give a fee. You just have to deal with the bum students.

by Umpyreply 4606/12/2011

Grumpy thinks that all he needs to do is drop a letter and we'll all be confused.

by Umpyreply 4706/12/2011

San Francisco has one of the most beautiful, new public libraries in the country. It is now so foul with the homeless. %0D %0D It's not a nice thing to say, but the smells and abuse from the homeless are revolting.

by Umpyreply 4806/12/2011

The Boston Public Library is like this. The main reading room in the original building is usually OK but if you spend any time in the attached Philip Johnson 1970s monstrosity you're bound to get a waft of the urine/feces/ashtray smell along with some offensive language. The 'problem' is that severely mentally ill people now have more civil rights than they did in the 70s. They will be asked to leave if you complain to a security guard. They do, and then they go right back in, until someone else complains. It is much harder now for family members to commit these people to a facility or home that will clean them up and feed them. A lot of them insist they're fine. I've seen some get abusive when confronted (ie told their stench is offensive to others). I honestly do not know what the solution is.

by Umpyreply 4906/12/2011

Sadly, some people no longer wish to support public institutions because they feel they can no longer use them. That is some of what is behind the call to reduce taxes -- why pay for libraries when the homeless just turn them into clubhouses?

by Umpyreply 5106/12/2011

So, since you remove one letter from your name each time you're banned, does that mean after four more bans you'll finally disappear?

by Umpyreply 5206/12/2011

What part of the South are you from, Rumpy? Did you get banned for writing offensively racist posts?

by Umpyreply 5306/12/2011

[quote]One lady I saw using the library computers carried hand sanitizer and wipes to clean the keyboard. I've noticed hand sanitizer dispenser near my branch's checkout counter. People have noticed there's a public health problem.%0D %0D Little paranoid now....%0D %0D Should I spray my library books with lysol when I get them home?

by Umpyreply 5406/12/2011

I work at a state university library in a large city with a huge homeless population. Because we're public, we have to make the computer lab available to the general public. We do require some form of state-issued identification, the result of the Patriot Act's requirements that anyone accessing the Internet on public equipment be identified, but that has the effect of allowing us to turn away people with absolutely no I.D.

The campus is also adjacent to the county jail, so we're the first place newly-released inmates can go online. We accept the state inmate card they're issued as I.D.

We don't allow either groups to sit down ("Students pay for those seats" is my standard lie), and they get a maximum of 30 minutes. Then off they must go.

by Umpyreply 5506/12/2011

I worked in a public library for a while. In the office area reserved for employees, we had pictures of people who were banned from the library and detailed reasons why. It was completely frightening. If any one of the incidents detailed on those sheets happened near or to me, I would have quit on the spot.

by Umpyreply 5606/12/2011

[quote]Should I spray my library books with lysol when I get them home?

Sadly, I've stopped using the public library because the books are so unsanitary and the library doesn't care.

When I was a kid, if you damaged a book you might have to pay to replace it. Now, you open a library book and people have sneezed on its pages, left food smears on its pages, and the occasional booger is still found in the pages.

Thank god for Amazon and the Kindle - and my newfound joy in voting "no" on any increases in library funding levies.

by Umpyreply 5706/12/2011

I wonder if he has to pay $18 each time he gets banned.

by Umpyreply 5806/12/2011

Most homeless shelters do not allow their clients to stay inside the shelter during the day. Depending on the type of shelther, they are kicked out in the morning and not allowed back in until late at night. Part of the reason why there's so many in public libraries.

by Umpyreply 5906/12/2011

[quote]Fuck the 'bums and thugs', try a packed computer room in a university library full of Masters and PhD students in London. Jesus H Christ, it stinks.%0D %0D Curry or fish?

by Umpyreply 6006/12/2011

thanks r57.. you calmed my paranoia..not.%0D %0D off to spray my books....

by Umpyreply 6106/12/2011

I was in the quiet room of the local library and this homeless guy (who looked young) was in there sleeping. The guy was fucking snoring!!! Another guy started sniffling and this homeless asshole started ranting about it not being quiet and walked out.

by Umpyreply 6206/12/2011

Have you seen the spooge on most peoples Kindle, r57? No wonder the public library system needs an Epidemiologist.

A soft microfiber cloth slightly dampened with a bit of ammonia-free glass cleaner goes a long way.

by Umpyreply 6306/12/2011

r60, I've already said ... cheese and onion crisps, and other such smelly snacks.

by Umpyreply 6406/12/2011

[quote] I honestly do not know what the solution is. Sounds like it's time to bring back the workhouses.

by Umpyreply 6506/12/2011

The library where I work provides ample hand sanitizer for use. We also religiously wipe down keyboards, screens, phones, desk and table surfaces, etc. - even run the toys from the kid play area through the dishwasher for cleaning. We also visually check/flip through returned items in order to prevent nastiness from hitting the shelves. Our book processors have the authority to remove books they find damaged or unusable.

by Umpyreply 6606/12/2011

We need to bring back large-scale sanatoriums. A lot of homeless people can't hold down job or make logical decisions about their lives because they suffer from mental illness. They shouldn't be humiliated because of their psychological state, but they shouldn't be roaming the streets either.

by Umpyreply 6706/12/2011

I don't believe a word this guy says. I thought you were banned by your IP number, not your name. In the days of the DL red necklaces, that's how it went.

by Umpyreply 6806/12/2011

Worse than the smell is the lice and scabies they harbor.

by Umpyreply 6906/12/2011

People have always been sneezing, coughing etc.. on library books. %0D %0D Libraries will probably go all digital in the future, and you will have to pay a fee and own a computer to access books and other media. That'll show those poor people!

by Umpyreply 7006/12/2011

The middlebrow set now use places like Barnes and Noble as their libraries. The public joints are now the province of the elderly and the indigent.

by Umpyreply 7106/12/2011

Which is why I only browse in a B&N store, and then order the book on-line.

by Umpyreply 7306/12/2011

Middle-CLASS set, R71. See the link for a definition of "middlebrow."

by Umpyreply 7406/12/2011

Those bums reeked so bad I had to concentrate not to gag. Remember fart spray? They sold it in Spencer's at the mall. Well, if I went into the computer lab and sprayed fart spray, I bet I would get expelled from the library. These bums smelled just as nasty and they were left alone.

by Umpyreply 7506/12/2011

[quote]The main branch of the Philadelphia Public Library was once a gorgeous place. I loved going after school, and well into my young adulthood, finding some books, and sequestering myself in a corner to read. At some point it all changed, and the homeless started taking over, washing their asses in the public lavatories and begging people for food and change in the library itself. I stopped going around ten years ago; it got to be too much. They have taken it over. %0D %0D I remember a couple of years ago when a young girl was raped in the bathroom at the Free Library.%0D I moved to Philly about 5 years ago and was underwhelmed with the library. You folks on DL can bitch about flyover country all you want but when I lived in the midwest we had a beautiful modern large clean library that was populated by mostly regular working folks and retirees. I don't remember obnoxious behavior or odors.%0D %0D

by Umpyreply 7606/12/2011

[quote]Remember fart spray?

Oh man, that stuff was so foul. People's reactions to it were hilarious. It smelled 10x worse than most people's farts.

by Umpyreply 7706/12/2011

Did you ever think downloading personal info on a public computer is probably a stupid move? Especially tax info?

by Umpyreply 7806/12/2011

Don't forget the crazy guys exposing themselves and/or jerking off in the library!

by Umpyreply 7906/12/2011

"A lot of homeless people can't hold down job or make logical decisions about their lives because they suffer from mental illness."

Treatment usually requires their consent. But many of them refuse treatment and refuse to believe anything is wrong.

by Umpyreply 8006/12/2011

I hope you are proud of yourself, Dumpy.

by Umpyreply 8106/12/2011

The homeless shelter in my city is a few blocks from the downtown library. The homeless are locked out of the shelter all day. The winters here in southwestern Ontario are bitterly cold and the summers are extremely humid. The library offers warmth, air conditioning, relative safety and indoor plumbing as needed. They also have a security guard who patrols the numerous floors and checks the washrooms. The reference desks are strategically placed near the washrooms so they can keep an eye out. The vibe there is completely different from the libraries in other neighbourhoods in the city. I can't relax and kick back with a book. The moms bring their sons into the women's washroom. I've seen a few pissed off eightish year olds.

by Umpyreply 8206/12/2011

[quote]San Francisco has one of the most beautiful, new public libraries in the country. It is now so foul with the homeless. It's not a nice thing to say, but the smells and abuse from the homeless are revolting.

No kidding. Rumpy may be complaining about body odor, but there are days at the SFPL where you not only smell bo, but urine saturated pants.

The

The bums will grab a book and nurse it for hours pretending to be reading. They can't be caught napping. The nice cushioned chairs they sit on stink to high heaven.

I almost got robbed by one of these bums a few years ago. I put my belongings down so I could grab a book on the top shelf. The idiot swoops in and grabs my stuff. I run after him knowing that he's not going to get away with it because we're on the 3rd story. I chase him into the elevator and grab my bag back. He gives me a stupid and says, "oh, is this yours?" Fucker.

by Umpyreply 8306/12/2011

R84, from what public library are you posting from?

by Umpyreply 8506/12/2011

We're not saying the homeless are wrong -- we're saying their using the library as a clubhouse.

They should have 24 hour shelters

by Umpyreply 8606/12/2011

[quote]We need to bring back large-scale sanatoriums. A lot of homeless people can't hold down job or make logical decisions about their lives because they suffer from mental illness. They shouldn't be humiliated because of their psychological state, but they shouldn't be roaming the streets either. You can thank Ronald Reagan. Oh, wait, he's dead. You can thank the Republican Reagan Worshipers. [quote]The public library is an anachronism. It's time to shut these homeless shelters down. Thank you, Barbara Bush, for your advice.

by Umpyreply 8706/12/2011

Questions to the Librarians here (and we have more than I expected):%0D %0D Do you look at the previous books I check out.. this year I have checked out books on compulsions, Dalai Lama, boks from Larson Steig (I think that's the name - The Girl with the Tatoo book - I am on the 2nd one now), Eckhart Tolle, meditation CDs, CD by Gordon Lightfoot (don't laugh it soothing), and Nora Roberts.%0D %0D Do you ever wonder what I am up too? I always look at the Librarian to see if she is thinking "Oh Lord".. ya know has that look.

by Umpyreply 8906/12/2011

Sorry, R89, we are too busy to be doing that.

by Umpyreply 9006/12/2011

R89 we only keep track of books currently checked out, not past check outs. There is an online feature patrons themselves can opt into if they want to keep a list for themselves but that's all.

thank the Patriot Act - we can't give the Feds what we don't have :)

by Umpyreply 9106/12/2011

R89, your post made me laugh. When I was a kid we had a nosy old librarian that oversaw a collection of probably around 1,000 books (I grew up in a town so small it was a suburb of Hooterville) who did make it her business to have an opinion on your reading material. Fortunately, I now live in a city where librarians have neither the time or concern about what you're reading.

Except - didn't the Bush administration try and pass something that required librarians to flag certain books and report on who checked them out? Seems like I remember something about that.

by Umpyreply 9206/12/2011

ICK

by Umpyreply 9306/12/2011

r94, I was the one wondering about the lysol, but I am out in the burbs and really think all my books look clean and fresh, even the cover on my Gordon Lightfoot CD was clean. lol%0D %0D I love the library. Librarians are always helpful and sweet. Books and CDs are free. I read too many books to pay for it plus you can test out a text/inspirational book before you buy it.

by Umpyreply 9506/12/2011

[quote]Except - didn't the Bush administration try and pass something that required librarians to flag certain books and report on who checked them out? Seems like I remember something about that.%0D %0D r92, see the second half of r91's post. It makes me giggle. Problem solved. it sounds like the Librarians revolted against doing it. Good for them.%0D %0D %0D

by Umpyreply 9606/12/2011

What's Umps going to do when he runs out of letters in his name?

by Umpyreply 9706/13/2011

Grumpy/Rumpy/Umpy has been trolling DataLounge for in excess of three years now. He's actually been banned more than the two bans to which he admits. What is it going to take to get this asshole permabanned?

by Umpyreply 9806/13/2011

Not trying to add to the troll count r98, but why does this thread have 99 responses, some of which are actually interesting and on-topic?

I remember when his threads would be totally ignored here. They'd go without replies and whoosh off the main pages. People don't seem to let things go here anymore.

I also remember his excruciatingly painful cat posts. This is much better, and I can still skip it if it's too much.

by Umpyreply 10006/13/2011

Do any of the homeless actually read?

I don't understand why we don't just have all day homeless shelters if this is what libraries have become.

To those saying the smelly have rights...no they don't (or shouldn't). If someone is too loud they can be arrested for disturbing he peace. So, if someone stinks they should be arrested for being offensive to others as well.

by Umpyreply 10206/13/2011

I stopped going to the library mainly because of the stink. It's a sad state of affairs when librarians are forced to be homeless minders. Sooner or later they'll be shut down as regular people won't want to support them if they're too disgusting to visit. Then the cons will have won.

by Umpyreply 10406/13/2011

I worked in a large chain bookstore when I was younger. The homeless were the first in the place in the morning and the last to leave. The majority of them stank, and many *ruined* the bathrooms due to whatever horrible garbage food they were forced to eat. I ended up both disgusted by some of the experiences I had dealing with them daily, and compassionate. If I was homeless I'd spend my days in a library or bookstore too.

by Umpyreply 10506/13/2011

This would stop the moment you only gain access to a library through your library card and you have to apply for your card either only or have an appointment where a librarian is opening the door for you.

Treat libraries like dance clubs with a rope, a red carpet and limited access and people will consider it a hot spot.

by Umpyreply 10606/13/2011

sorry: ... for your card either ONLINE or have an ...

by Umpyreply 10706/13/2011

Librarian here--to answer R89's question: no, we do not do that. That falls under intellectual freedom, which means that what you read is your business. Every time a subpoena is issued under section 215 of the PATRIOT ACT to a library for patron records (and it happens more often then you would think), it is challenged. In fact, most libraries use software that a) deliberately purges patron check-out histories and interlibrary loan requests and b) automatically deletes browsing histories on public access computers.

Regarding the conversation about "bums and the homeless" using the public library--yes, it gets irritating, but the public library is for EVERYONE to use, regardless of smell.

by Umpyreply 10806/13/2011

[quote] The DL Republicans don't want tax money paying for homeless shelters. They don't want the homeless living on the streets or allowed in the libraries. Where is it that you want them to go? Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

by Umpyreply 10906/13/2011

[quote] Regarding the conversation about "bums and the homeless" using the public library--yes, it gets irritating, but the public library is for EVERYONE to use, regardless of smell. That part of the "public" doesn't pay taxes that support the library so they shouldn't have access to it.

by Umpyreply 11006/13/2011

Except the homeless are not "accessing information." They're sleeping and using the bathroom mostly.

by Umpyreply 11206/13/2011

r108, I'm in a smaller city in flyover country and the library does enforce a 'noxious odour' policy.

Their position is that the homeless are considered patrons, but they don't have the right to disturb others' use of the library.

The policy is posted at the front entrance and at the circ desk.

I've literally been unable to get to books near where one person sits because the smell is so bad; I'm not being a Mary! either. It was that gross.

The few people who were banned had case workers who intervened to make sure it wasn't a political issue. The next time I saw these people, they had cleaned up and were allowed back.

Of course, our city is small enough to do this.

by Umpyreply 11306/13/2011

R108 here again. I'm not saying the homeless are not a problem, but what are we supposed to do about it? A public library is more or less a public utility, and the last I checked smelling bad was not a reason to kick someone out. I don't know who's running the library in R113's town but mark my words, a lawsuit is brewing over that policy.

by Umpyreply 11406/13/2011

Any legal aid attorney worth their salt would kill to set a precedent over a smelly library patron. Makes me want to not bathe for a couple weeks and get involved. People are barbaric, this will never change.

by Umpyreply 11506/13/2011

I'm in Canada R114, if that makes any difference.

The tack they took was treating it the same way they would any other patron who was infringing on everyone else's ability to use the library.

It didn't address the homeless specifically.

It was vetted by lawyers before it went up. I remember having a discussion with one of the older librarians about it.

by Umpyreply 11606/13/2011

Grumpy gets a golden star for actually starting an interesting discussion.

by Umpyreply 11706/13/2011

Few things are worse than kicking someone when he/she is down.

by Umpyreply 11806/13/2011

r110 By your logic, no children should be able to use the libraries either. Idiot.

by Umpyreply 11906/13/2011

Few things are as annoying as sanctimonious twits who spew pieties without addressing the problem. Many people now no longer use public libraries or curtail their use because of the smell, sanitation and harassment problems caused by homeless people using public libraries as havens. It's not horrible to admit this is a nationwide problem and discuss it. If you have some suggestion about how to solve it, by all means, share it with us. Otherwise, take your sanctimony and shove it.

by Umpyreply 12006/13/2011

[quote] By your logic, no children should be able to use the libraries either. Idiot. Their parents pay taxes. Idiot. Smelly, insane homeless people should have no rights other than being locked up in the crazy house 24/7.

by Umpyreply 12106/13/2011

[quote] So, again, this is your logic, all homeless people exist in a smelly vacuum with no relatives who pay any sort of taxes. I'm sure you're absolutely right. And, quite the humanitarian as well. Fascist idiot. Nope. Just sick of these lowlifes having more rights than I do. I long for the good old days when crazies and retards were locked up for life.

by Umpyreply 12406/13/2011

and if they have relatives somewhere then they should be required to do something with them: either commit them or take them in.

by Umpyreply 12506/13/2011

Many of them are mentally ill and have been denied getting benefits going back to Reagan.

by Umpyreply 12906/13/2011

I don't think people are saying stinky homeless people should be thrown out on the street. They're just saying they don't belong in the library. They need to go to a shelter that is designed to serve their needs.

by Umpyreply 13306/13/2011

If you want unwashed masses stink, go to the midnight showing of the next/last Harry Potter movie.

by Umpyreply 13606/13/2011

[quote]If a society can not make provision for the homeless to sleep somewhere - then it's a fucking shitty 'society'.

You're right. The measure of a humane society's decency is not how well the upper classes live, but how the lower classes live and are treated.

by Umpyreply 13706/14/2011

[quote]Many of the assholes on this thread would like to eat foie gras whilst looking out the window at starving, freezing, suffering people. Oh shut up. I can almost bet you've done nothing to help the "starving, freezing, suffering people." People have the right to go into a public institution without having to be subjected to the foul odor of unwashed persons. What about the rights of library patrons? Many students and researchers go there to read and study for hours. Imagine having to smell the BO of someone who hasn't bathed in weeks as you quietly study for exams. The library is not a homeless shelter.

by Umpyreply 13806/14/2011

The downtown Las Vegas libraries literally look like homeless villages from the outside.%0D %0D Speaking of children, a few librarians have told me that parents still think the library is a place for their kids to be dropped off at. Forget it. The number of convicted pedophiles who lurk there is incredible. They are not banned by law from being there, unlike distances from schools and playgrounds.

by Umpyreply 13906/14/2011

Do a search on an article called "Tragedy of the Commons" by Garrett Hardin. It gives an accurate and concise explanation of what is happening.

by Umpyreply 14006/14/2011

Look, if the homeless want to use the library for what it's meant to be used for, fine. But it's not a day-shelter and there should be a way to run them off. We do need sanitoriums and 24-hour homeless shelters, but that requires either "faith-based" efforts (oh suure they will) or a tax-base, neither of which we have now. But the homeless should not be permitted to take over and make unusable the very institution that helped to create an educated middle class and helps to preserve what little is left of Democracy and an open information society. Isn't it a case of suppression of free speech, free speech being books and access to the same, for gangs of homeless people to make the libraries inaccessible to the non-homeless?

by Umpyreply 14106/14/2011

r142 if ever I should reach the level of becoming a burden to myself, my family and society, I will exit this world with dignity. I will not dig in the trash, sit in the library with urine soaked pants, or make my living begging for food and money. That is not life.

by Umpyreply 14406/14/2011

[quote]Speaking of children, a few librarians have told me that parents still think the library is a place for their kids to be dropped off at. Forget it. The number of convicted pedophiles who lurk there is incredible. They are not banned by law from being there, unlike distances from schools and playgrounds.%0D %0D I work for Barnes & Noble, and the same happens here. People drop off their kids to entertain themselves in the children's department (ie, to tear up all the merchandise and leave a huge mess) while they shop at the mall nearby. Little do they know that as soon as we perceive that a child has been left alone unsupervised, we call Child Protective Services. We do not fuck around.

by Umpyreply 14706/14/2011

Sit your ass down r148 aka Rick Scott. Nobody here is that stupid.

by Umpyreply 14906/14/2011

the MOST annoying people in the library are the kids dumped off by their parents on saturday and sunday for free babysitting. they monopolize all the computers. when my desktop died, i would go in needing 15 min, but would have to wait 2-3 hours b/c of kids playing on the computers and fighting with each other over various "issues."

by Umpyreply 15006/14/2011

r142/r145 I don't think you really grasp the scope either. Your way of thinking has not worked for decades and decades. It has not benefited society nor the homeless mentally ill people. We a new solution. Your pollyannic world view has kept things in not only status quo, but has exasperated the problem.

I live in two cities that has been plagued by homelessness for decades: San Francisco and Los Angeles. So don't tell me that I don't grasp the scope of the problem.

The service that you work for is myopic and short-term. You feed people for one day. You make their lives less inconvenient for just that one day. You're not solving the real problems that plagues them.

by Umpyreply 15106/14/2011

[quote]exasperated

Oh dear.

by Umpyreply 15206/18/2011

R148, all it took was one crooked judge to toss most of the Exxon Valdez damages.

by Umpyreply 15306/18/2011

I work for a library system that serves about 150,000 people and we do have a few problems with homeless people, but not many. We serve very poor people and very wealthy people, and a lot of the rich ones are a bigger pain in the ass.

We do have some problems now and then, but we are pretty tough. Just yesterday I told some kid to pull his pants up or get out. I don't want to see anyone's ass hanging out.

You have to have a library card to use our computers, so that cuts down on some folks coming in. We do have idiots who still try to look at porn--we catch them, ban them the first time, second time--call the police.

We have an unattended child policy--no kids under 9 without a parent or older sibling. We are not your after school daycare. Any kids left at closing times--we call the police to come get them. There have been some pissed parents.

The public library is still, and will be, a viable public service. The libraries who DON'T change with the times and show the public how valuable they are will lose funding and die. I'm pretty lucky to work for a system that gets good funding, even with assholes like some of you in this thread who gleefully vote "no" to library support.

by Umpyreply 15509/07/2013

"Few things are worse than kicking someone who is down."

This is human nature, cochise. You will not get people to stop doing this.

by Umpyreply 15709/07/2013

[quote] Libraries are an outdated notion these days. It's all online these days.

Have you ever been to a public library?

I have to assume not - if you think their services are available online.

Let's start with an easy one. People who can't get online at home - can at the public library.

Let's try another one - check out the children's activities.

How about public meeting rooms?

Where online can I get a copy of book for no charge?

by Umpyreply 15809/07/2013

I recently stopped at a library in a nearby city and there must have been two dozen homeless men standing along a fence near the library entrance. It looked like a meat rack on Fire Island. I asked someone inside if that was unusual and was told that they hang out there most of the day.

by Umpyreply 15909/07/2013

I don't think it's fair to the librarians who spend time and money to get both a undergraduate degree and specialized advanced degrees in library science and then have to spend their time and energy mitigating the effects of bums (as described in R9 's post). These homeless people can be very disturbed and violent due to mental illness or substance abuse. I'm not judging them, but libraries tend to attract school age kids and meek readers who don't have the "street smarts" to deal with surly bums.

I know homeless people are people too. I totally get that. But the ones at my public library honestly just sleep on the couches and kind of made me very uncomfortable going there when I was younger. One shouted profanities at my friend and then chased her.

by Umpyreply 16009/07/2013

One morning I opened the library and 3 groups of young kids came in. They ranged in age from about 4 years up to around 9. They all had lunch boxes and drink bottles. I asked them what school they attended and rang the school to check if it was a pupil free day. It was, so the library manager got the kid's names from their library cards, rang the school and asked them to contact the parents to collect their children in the next hour, otherwise Children's Services would be called. The parents were all at work and had dropped the kids off at the library for the day rather than pay for childcare. They were pissed they had to collect the kids early as they wanted them to stay there until after 5pm. We opened at 0930.

by Umpyreply 16209/08/2013

Wow [R169], that's crazy. We've never had anything that extreme, as far as I know. I was talking to one of our managers at our smallest library the other day. She said some mom walked in, plopped down her toddler and said "I'll be back in an hour"... The tough old librarian broad told her she'd need to pick the kid up at the police station then because that's where he's going to be. You can imagine how pissed that shitty mom was.

Librarians have to be tougher these days--unfortunately, the job does attract a lot of meek and shy people who don't have the balls to stand up to people. I try to get it across to our staff that even though we work for the public, it doesn't mean we have to take abuse. I had one mousy staffer come get me out of a meeting because a lady was being too loud on her cellphone and her kid was running around the building. Jeez. Grow a pair and tell her to shut up and control her brat! Not in those words, of course.

It will happen at some point, but we are still years and years away from people not using printed materials, physical DVDs, audiobooks, CDs, etc. Sure, we spend less money on them now as we beef up our electronic collection, but the idea that "well, there's the Internet now, might as well close the library" is really a stupid person's rationale. Unfortunately, a lot of those people are in elected office and get to make decisions about library funding.

Just the other day, I photographed everything going on in one day, just to show officials. They were amazed.

by Umpyreply 16309/08/2013

there is this one old guy who watches port ALL day

he thinks the privacy screen covers what he's watching?

he is really creepy and gross

guess what? hasn't been kicked out yet

by Umpyreply 16409/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.