Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So why do the British have bad teeth?

Why didn't childhood orthodontry catch on?

by Anonymousreply 17806/05/2015

Crooked teeth aren't bad teeth.,necessarily. Orthodontistry won't do a thing for soft or rotten teeth. Heredity and diet are probably the two determining factors. I know a lot of English ex-pats with immaculate choppers. And plenty of Americans with teeth like Roquefort%0D cheese. %0D %0D I'd say nationality's got damned little to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 306/12/2011

Wow, this is a new and different topic.

by Anonymousreply 506/12/2011

I thnk it's about priorities. The English in the past were never that concerned with superficial perfection like their American counterparts. As a non-Brit and non-American I can say from afar that the stereotype of all British have bad teeth is like saying all Americans are fat tea baggers.

by Anonymousreply 606/12/2011

The NHS didn't provide dental care to the population. This is how it started. You'll find a lot of Britons with bad teeth, but a lot of them with actual good teeth. I don't recall ever seeing braces though. One thing the Brits never do is whiten their teeth. They will spray tan like there's no tomorrow though, go figure!

by Anonymousreply 706/12/2011

The higher Horse to lower calcium-rich milk Cow ratio.

by Anonymousreply 806/12/2011

This is just a stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 906/12/2011

OP: flyover queen who has never crossed the USA border.

by Anonymousreply 1006/12/2011

R7 Im a Brit, and had a brace as did most of my classmates.

by Anonymousreply 1106/12/2011

Is it that we're used to not paying for healthcare, and braces cost money? I only saw one or two kids with braces when I was growing up, and they still seem to be unusual. I have perfect teeth myself without needing braces.

by Anonymousreply 1206/12/2011

OP, it's a STEREOTYPE. British teeth are among the best in the world. There is one key difference: British teeth are treated to be healthy, they are not treated to look cosmetically perfect.

by Anonymousreply 1306/12/2011

[italic]British teeth are among the best in the world.[/italic]

lol, no, they're not.

by Anonymousreply 1406/12/2011

Yes they are, R14. The OECD says so.

by Anonymousreply 1606/12/2011

Because their values are not as superficial as Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2011

What R11 said.

In the 80s, and I suspect 60s and 70s as well, orthodontic treatment was still available on the NHS. If you had crooked or buck teeth you could have them corrected for free. Lots of people my age consequently have reasonable or good teeth, even if they turned crappy at adolescence like mine did.

However, around the mid-90s I think, the government insisted orthodontic treatment was a luxury and they should pay for it themselves and suddenly people stopped getting it done. I would imagine the result is that there are a lot more people out there with crooked or 'bad' teeth. Especially since they started charging (admittedly largely nominal fees) for even general dental treatment on the NHS.

You hardly ever see teenagers with braces these days (a common sight until the mid-90s). I should imagine only the rich can afford it.

Having said all this, the OP is an idiot and this view is very dated and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1806/12/2011

The OP, R4 and R14 just announced to the world that they have never once stepped foot in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 1906/12/2011

A carb heavy diet in pregnancy causes crooked teeth in offspring. That's why all the brits have bad teeth.

by Anonymousreply 2006/12/2011

I honestly don't think the British have bad teeth really. No worse than what I see constantly in the US (how people walk around with yellow teeth and gray gums, I'll never know!).

by Anonymousreply 2106/12/2011

[quote]A carb heavy diet in pregnancy causes crooked teeth in offspring. That's why all the brits have bad teeth.

By that reasoning US americans should have the worst teeth.

Americans maybe think the artificial chiclet teeth of their TV and movie stars are representative of the population as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2011

R22, well I admit I was wrong but there's widely an opinion that this is the case, I'm pretty sure. I thought it was so. And how comes you never see kids with braces anymore then?

Weird.

p.s. No need to be so rude, you pathetic little worm.

by Anonymousreply 2406/12/2011

As far as orthodontic care goes, the NHS offers it to kids, but they now have much stricter criteria as to who can get it.

When I was a kid (now in my 30s), about half of my class had braces (and/or four extractions to ensure teeth won't crowd in the future).

by Anonymousreply 2506/12/2011

I have RARELY seen a Brit with healthy teeth. Yellow, yellow, yellow!!%0D %0D I'm glad this topic is finally being discussed on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 2606/12/2011

R24 I see kids with braces all the time??? Rarely see the wrap round the head ones u used to see, but I still see them. Seen alot of White braces too.

by Anonymousreply 2706/12/2011

[italic]No worse than what I see constantly in the US (how people walk around with yellow teeth and gray gums, I'll never know!).[/italic]

Where the fuck have you been walking around? Trailer parks in the South?

Good teeth are pretty much the norm in the US, especially after the US dumped fluoride into its water supply. Kids get braces on a massive scale. It's almost a rite of passage. If they're not packing bracing, they're packing retainers. Schools routinely check students teeth, and teach them how to brush and care for their teeth. It's indoctrinated into the culture.

The British are not known for their good health. Exercise is not common at all. They drink too much, and smoke too much. The US has an obesity problem, but Britain is the fattest country in Europe. The Europeans with the best health care is France. People fly to France just to get treatment.

by Anonymousreply 2806/12/2011

[itlaic]Yes they are, [R14]. The OECD says so.[/italic]

That's a 12 year old, not the population at large, dumbass!

by Anonymousreply 2906/12/2011

[italic]Yes they are, [[R14]]. The OECD says so.[/italic]

That's a 12 year old, not the population at large, dumbass!

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2011

Ever been to Japan or France, OP? Have you heard of them?

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2011

[quote]I thnk it's about priorities. The English in the past were never that concerned with superficial perfection like their American counterparts. As a non-Brit and non-American I can say from afar that the stereotype of all British have bad teeth is like saying all Americans are fat tea baggers.

Another Anglophile with his tongue up the collective asshole of Mother England.

by Anonymousreply 3206/12/2011

The problem with cosmetic dentistry is that it involves a lifetime investment in dental costs. As soon as you put veneers or crowns your teeth, you embark on a lifetime of expensive maintenance work. Most dentists won't tell you this.

It's all very well and good, but what happens when the economy bombs and those expenses can't be met? Americans roads are crumbling, and soon American teeth will follow.

by Anonymousreply 3306/12/2011

Excuse typos.

by Anonymousreply 3406/12/2011

Crooked teeth can be incredibly sexy on the right man. I'm thinking particularly of a gay but married man I knew from a monstrously rich UK shipping family. Dazzlingly handsome, icewater blue eyes, and slightly crooked white teeth. Fabulous. His sister once told me that every man who knew him, straight or gay, fell in love with him. I wasn't the least surprised. Some people are so dazzling in their beauty and personality they are beyond the prescriptions of gender.

by Anonymousreply 3506/12/2011

Aren't Americans sneering at foreigners' teeth a bit like bald people wearing wigs sneering at bald people?

by Anonymousreply 3606/12/2011

Perfection is unerotic. Sir Francis Bacon said it well:

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

by Anonymousreply 3706/12/2011

You don't have to be judgmental about this, but Brits (and Europeans generally) have traditionally put greater store by authenticity than perfection: they are prepared to put up with a bit of imperfection in order to be "natural". In the US the balance is somewhat the other way: people are quite tolerant of artificiality if it leads to a more perfect look. Americans sneer at British crooked teeth; Brits sneer at Americans' artificial wrap-around smiles. Who is to say who is right and who is wrong?

Teeth are not the only example. Americans are far bigger users of toupees than Europeans, and far bigger users of cosmetic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 3806/12/2011

I find tea drinkers are generally more anemic looking than coffee drinkers. And their teeth are more yellow than those who drink coffee. They also have that gross mucuous-like film left on their tongue after drinking a cup of tea. %0D %0D It's the tea.

by Anonymousreply 3906/12/2011

[quote]The problem with cosmetic dentistry is that it involves a lifetime investment in dental costs. As soon as you put veneers or crowns your teeth, you embark on a lifetime of expensive maintenance work. Most dentists won't tell you this.

But having good teeth usually doesn't require veneers or crowns. Most people get by with just braces or retainers in their youth, accompanied by regular brushing and check-ups.

by Anonymousreply 4006/12/2011

I had braces on the NHS when I was in my early twenties, which would have been around 2002. But my dentist did say something about how normally I'd be too old and I only got them free because I was a special case for some reason. I think he had to claim the orthodontic work was genuinely necessary, rather than purely cosmetic. My teeth were messed up before (I had that one snaggle tooth thing that Celine Dion used to have in that video). I've never needed a filling, though.

by Anonymousreply 4106/12/2011

Anyone who doubts the quality of British teeth only has to hold an apple in front of Prince William or Princess Beatrice's mouth. If you walk away with the apple gone and all of your fingers intact, I owe you a steak dinner.

by Anonymousreply 4206/12/2011

yet again another uneducated american who has no idea what there talking about and has clearly never been to britian. the majority of british children have or has had braces at some point. just because we arnt as fake as the sterotypical american. on the fake tan comment though i do have to agree, unfortunatly it seems to be over used on alot of younger women and in some case men. it does not look good! but that doesnt mean that all brits where it.

by Anonymousreply 4306/12/2011

Amy Winehouse has a lovely set of chompers.

by Anonymousreply 4406/12/2011

Off to die in a grease fire! Cheerio!

by Anonymousreply 4506/12/2011

The only time I've really noticed bad teeth was in the US. Walking around poorer neighborhoods in NY and especially in Philadelphia. A number of people missing lots of teeth. It was very shocking. A lot of Brits have crooked or yellow teeth but I've never seen an adult walk around missing several teeth before.

by Anonymousreply 4606/13/2011

And where do you live, R47?

by Anonymousreply 4808/14/2012

eets thur class system, innit?

by Anonymousreply 4908/14/2012

WOW, the Brit-hating trolls are getting sadder - R47 brings back a year-old thread!

by Anonymousreply 5008/14/2012

Americans look just like the British, so let's watch what we say.

We are all fat, with stubby bodies and big bellies. We all have weird-looking teeth, unless you are a celeb. Short arms, short waists, and pudgy calves. The lot of us.

We are pasty too. Bloated. Pink-cheeked.

We smell like mustard gas, and have spots on our nalgas.

Sometimes we marry Mexicans which makes our children look even shorter, squattier, and jelly-bellied.

Everyone in America has herpes. It gives us crotch-rot, which makes our genitals smell like a rotting corpse. Luckily for the Brits, the cold weather masks the odors.

Autism runs rampant in both America and Brit-land which gives us that stoopified expression on our faces.

We are all alcoholics too. That's why so many fat, stubby Americans and Brits take the Ayahuasca tours to Peru.

We think that imbibing hallucinogenics will help us stop being such terrible drunks!

by Anonymousreply 5208/14/2012

[quote]yet again another uneducated american who has no idea what there talking about...

Ohhhhhhhh, the irony!

by Anonymousreply 5308/14/2012

On behalf of Brits everywhere, we'll be thrilled if we never have to associate with R15 and his winning personality.

by Anonymousreply 5408/14/2012

R15 had me at "fat ankles."

by Anonymousreply 5508/14/2012

A friend of mine who worked for a large international company was told that she would be working in the USA for a whole year, she was told this several months before she went. As a result she spent a fortune on private dental treatment because she was concerned about her teeth. Her teeth were fine, but because she was going to the USA she felt she had to get something done to make them perfect.

Also crooked teeth are not unhealthy. It's just the straighter your teeth the easier they are to clean and keep food particles for getting stuck.

by Anonymousreply 5608/15/2012

So ridiculous. My child has been referred through the NHS for braces. They will decide if her teeth are crooked enough to warrant free braces. If not, I will pay for them. I teach teenagers, almost half of them get braces when they are around 13 or 14.

by Anonymousreply 5708/15/2012

Every item on R15's hate list regularly appears on DL, which is predominantly Americans bitching about Americana, not always pointlessly.

Plenty of Americans are jealous of their fellows: it's a vital if dubious fuel for 'The American Dream', that slogan now nearing quaintness.

Awful food? Try MacDonalds and KFC, those global monuments to haute cuisine. There's your sugar-saturated contribution to British bad teeth.

by Anonymousreply 5808/15/2012

This pathetic idea of British people having bad teeth is a really stupid stereotype- it might have been true 60 years ago but not anymore. Im British and my teeth are fine, as are most others.. also we (unlike Americans) get free dental and orthodontic treatment- I got braces fitted as a teenager ten years ago, as well as jaw surgery- all free. People here are very invested in their teeth, go to the dentist once every six months, and straightening and whitening treatments are very very popular... Most of you need educated in hard facts instead of rumours..

by Anonymousreply 5908/15/2012

To R47 'Kev' - if you don't like it, why don't you just leave?

by Anonymousreply 6008/15/2012

Can giving lots of oral to both men and women give your problems with your teeth, gums and mouth. Any dentists here.

by Anonymousreply 6108/15/2012

I've noticed it's often the richer people with the bad teeth now.

How fast is the process of getting braces etc in America? I know when I was at school in the UK it seemed that any child that needed braces went through a really drawn-out period of constant appointments, often being taken out of class to go.

Resulting in stupid people with nice teeth.

by Anonymousreply 6208/15/2012

I saw an ad on Craig's List placed by a British company. In the list of benefits, they included Dental insurance with "We're British but we're not THAT British!"

Had to admire the fact that they weren't afraid to poke fun at themselves for being British.

by Anonymousreply 6308/15/2012

Does their healthcare, pay for dental?

by Anonymousreply 6408/15/2012

I am a lesbian and I always floss after giving oral.

by Anonymousreply 6508/15/2012

@R64 you get free dental treatment up until the age of 19 if you are in full time education then you have to pay.

by Anonymousreply 6608/15/2012

Does their healthcare, pay for dental?

Have a wee go at a sentence. Piece of piss, I promise.

by Anonymousreply 6708/15/2012

Toss off.

by Anonymousreply 6808/15/2012

'british teeth are among the best in the world Lol, no,they're not.'

Lol, yes, they are. Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 6905/19/2013

I'm watching that trailer park series on sky... It's quite funny really

by Anonymousreply 7010/13/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7110/13/2013

Even although dental care was free growing up in Scotland, no-one growing up poor would go to the dentist unless they had a problem. School dentist told me i needed braces at 8 or 10, never bothered (they would have been free). So my front teeth are crooked, but all healthy (and white).

by Anonymousreply 7210/13/2013

hell, even Alex Pettyfer has fucking yellow ass teeth. The Brits really should take a good, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves...WHY isn't it more important to have nice, white, straight teeth? They don't have to be bleached out or perfectly straight, but white and mostly straight aren't too much to ask.

by Anonymousreply 7310/13/2013

Britons have better dental hygiene than the US it's been found now. Americans overwhelmingly don't get dental. I don't see anyone in Britain with bad teeth today. One thing they don't do is bleach their teeth though.

by Anonymousreply 7410/13/2013

With all the negatives about Britain i find it amazing all the people who do everything in their power to transport their needy asses to the UK. Yes we make fun of them, but it doesn't make any of them want to go home. We'll keep it up until is does.

by Anonymousreply 7510/13/2013

Braces aren't "the norm" in America. A major reason for that is that they are quite expensive. Just regular dental care is expensive. I've seen lots of bad teeth in America.

I don't know how good or bad British teeth are, but I doubt that England is home to some of the world's most attractive teeth.

There's a bleak little movie called "The Mother" that is set in England. In it Daniel Craig plays a sexy loser. At one point in the film he grins, revealing a mouthful of crooked, greyish bad British teeth.

by Anonymousreply 7610/13/2013

According to Nancy Mitford or someone like that, wasn't fanciful dentistry "Non-U"?

by Anonymousreply 7710/13/2013

OP - Brits don't have the obsession with perfectly straight, white teeth that Americans do. The NHS concentrated on dental health, not cosmetic dentistry.

As the poster above mentioned, this was deregulated in the 90's, so you now have to pay for dental, although it's much cheaper than private insurance, unless you're on benefits. So now we have a part public/private system for dental. If you want cosmetic dentistry you have to pay for it.

I've seen plenty of people from other countries, including the US, with bad teeth.

by Anonymousreply 7810/13/2013

Yeah, because people in the Ozarks have such great teeth. Or should I say tooth?

by Anonymousreply 7910/13/2013

I spent a week in the UK a few months ago. LOTS of Brits I came in contact with had terrible teeth.

by Anonymousreply 8010/13/2013

[quote]hell, even Alex Pettyfer has fucking yellow ass teeth. The Brits really should take a good, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves...WHY isn't it more important to have nice, white, straight teeth?

White isn't necessarily the healthiest colour for teeth. Enamel is off-white and the dentine below is yellowish. If you don't have a super thick enamel layer then your teeth are going to have a natural yellowish tinge. Bleaching the enamel to get that horrible Hollywood White smile is not the best thing for them, either.

If your mother took tetracycline antibiotics during pregnancy, then your chances of a 'healthy' white smile are virtually zero.

We do look in the mirror but by and large don't have neuroses about our appearance. Must be why the wealthiest shrinks aren't British.

If it is not teeth then it is Speedos or something innocuous that Americans seem to have issues with.

by Anonymousreply 8110/13/2013

Giving tetracycline to children while their teeth are still forming causes their teeth to become a dark grey color. I knew a girl in school whose teeth were like that, and I've seen other people with the gray teeth that are no doubt the result of tetracycline stains. I have no idea why doctors continue to do this. Tetracycline stained teeth, according to one medical tome should be "rare, but are not uncommon." The only way to get make your teeth look better if they've been stained by tetracycline is to get veneers, which are so expensive it's ridiculous, something like one or two thousand dollars a TOOTH, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 8210/13/2013

Not sure really our diet?? Compares to America's teeth ours our yellow and sometimes teeth are out of place when there's are supposidly gleaming white. Many people at my school have bad teeth or some out of place even I do, there only a few people in our year with really nice teeth, maybe americans have better dental care than us?

by Anonymousreply 8311/10/2013

so not hot. I will say younger Brits (under 35) seem to have improved teeth aesthetics, though it's still not out of the ordinary to see them looking a bit fucked up and 18th century.

by Anonymousreply 8410/29/2014

[quote]The British are not known for their good health. Exercise is not common at all. They drink too much, and smoke too much. The US has an obesity problem, but Britain is the fattest country in Europe.

So it seems.

by Anonymousreply 8510/29/2014

haaaaaaaaaaaaa! Experts have found that gum disease is much more common in today's current British population than the population who lived there during 200-400 AD!

by Anonymousreply 8611/14/2014

Why do Americans think that "healthy" teeth are artificial, bleached manufactured things? They're not teeth, they're plastic surgery.

R38, beyond the screaming Daily Mail headline, the experts are blaming smoking, not dentistry. I'm sure if you did a comparison between the current population of the US and the population of AD 200-400 you'd find similar results. Except, you didn't have much of a population in that era. You're shiny, plasticy and new, which is probably why you think shiny, plasticy and new is what constitutes "healthy" teeth.

by Anonymousreply 8711/14/2014

Oh' brother.......

by Anonymousreply 8811/14/2014

R86 Probably from all that shit they eat and drink. They have the worst eating habits of all of Europe and are the fattest as well.

by Anonymousreply 8911/14/2014

I don't have especially white teeth but I've made it to 39 without needing a filling or major dental work.

I'd say that for most British people they look after their teeth if they've been brought up to (the council estate rotting teeth through being fed on high sugar juice drinks all the time is true) but teeth are meant to be functional rather than purely cosmetic.

There are plenty of people with a Hollywood smile who can't drink tea or coffee, red wine, eat meat or chewy foods because their enhanced teeth can't cope with it. If they weren't neurotic to begin with then they're neurotic now.

I have considered whitening but it's likely to do more damage to my teeth an impact on my enjoyment of the small things in life. Life's too short.

by Anonymousreply 9011/14/2014

Well, not everyone wished they had Britney Spears' blinding white (and forced smile and vacant eyes) or Faye Dunaway's perfect line of fake chompers. I think in that domain, tiny imperfections look way more attractive.

The most disturbing thing is those people who have six veneers on the frontmost teeth and when they smile, you get to have a glimpse on the other(mostly rotted) teeth. Eww!

by Anonymousreply 9111/14/2014

R86 = a bitter Brit with bad teeth. It's more than just smoking that has led to prevalent gum disease in the UK. A lot of sugar and unhealthy foods are also to blame. No one is saying fake teeth are better but in this day and age nice, white, relatively straight, natural teeth for people under 40 should not be too much to ask. If people can bother to style their hair and take showers to be clean, they can take time to make their teeth nice too

by Anonymousreply 9211/14/2014

the population in the UK during the Roman Empire was also different to the ones in the UK now. We know obesity rates with shit Brit food have sky rocketed.

by Anonymousreply 9311/14/2014

yup the Brit diet has been a huge contributor to the demise of their teeth. Smoking too.

by Anonymousreply 9411/16/2014

another thing they just don't seem to care as much about straightening them out. When will they understand that buck teeth, crooked teeth and missing front teeth aren't hot, aren't the move and are unsightly?

by Anonymousreply 9511/17/2014

It's the food. The bad food leads to bad teeth and probably explains why so many Brits are fugly too

by Anonymousreply 9611/17/2014

The answer is, simply, it's the Brit's heavy consumption of TEA. It stains their teeth.

by Anonymousreply 9711/17/2014

Did someone recently get dumped by a Brit? There is nothing but insecure anti Brit trolling this past week. It's tediously predictable.

by Anonymousreply 9811/17/2014

I mean, fuck, this bitch was rich and relatively young but her teeth were SHIIIIIIT

by Anonymousreply 9911/17/2014

You're seriously posting a pic of an alcoholic, mentally ill drug addict to try to prove your point R99? That's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 10011/17/2014

Omg image google British teeth and you will see some ghastly sights

by Anonymousreply 10111/17/2014

Omg image Google Kentucky teeth and you will see some ghastly sights - and that's just one state.

by Anonymousreply 10211/17/2014

Brits bad teef caused by no fluoride in their drinking water! They need to add fluoride to their water treatment facilities like they do in 'Merica. Because chemicals are good and help us with a better quality of life.

by Anonymousreply 10311/18/2014

with their crap diet, lack of emphasis on brushing teeth and flossing it's easy to see why

by Anonymousreply 10412/08/2014

The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD, say that British teeth are the best in the world.

Must be all that socialist health care.

by Anonymousreply 10512/08/2014

I think crooked teeth are as sexy as fuck. I knew a trustafarian from a billionaire family who was dazzlingly handsome, and his teeth were crooked. The spittle oozing between them used to turn me on something chronic.

by Anonymousreply 10612/08/2014

They have great teeth now.

by Anonymousreply 10712/08/2014

Bad nutrition.

by Anonymousreply 10812/08/2014

British teeth are a full decade behind the US. In the 1960s, a survey of Brits over the age of 16 reported that 37% of the people had full dentures.

In the 80s of the US, there was a huge boom for tooth care and aesthetics. That didn't hit the UK until the 90s so that's why most people over 30 there don't have great teeth. There are still plenty of under 30 Brits who have just fucking nasty teeth, but the number is shrinking. Again, though, the shitty diet doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 10912/08/2014

r105, they may be the best, health-wise, but they're certainly not the "best-looking." But I don't think this is endemic to just Britain: other European nations seem to not just tolerate but celebrate crooked or ugly teeth -- just look at Lea Seydoux from France.

by Anonymousreply 11012/08/2014

R110 best looking is a subjective term. Overly evened-and-straightened, bleached white American type teeth (the result of cosmetic procedures, not superior health) aren't that popular in the rest of the world, to some people it's just downright unattractive. Most people outside North America go for healthy rather than fake looking.

I think I'd prefer accessible, affordable dental care available to all and providing the healthiest teeth in the world, all things considered. The American poor are fucked when it comes to dental care. We've got nothing to be proud of.

by Anonymousreply 11112/08/2014

The problem for the trolls who want to decry the British as obese with bad teeth is their crushing sense of Anglophobic lack of awareness about the levels of these two problems in the American population.

Obesity in the USA continues to lead the Anglophone world: 74.1%, against the low/mid 60% range in the UK (source :WHO 2007), and obesity levels has risen frighteningly fast in the USA over the last 20 years.

But hey, why let the truth get in the way of a little irrational bigotry?

by Anonymousreply 11212/08/2014

The idea that there is a lack of emphasis in the UK on brushing and flossing is just downright bizarre. Unbleached teeth aren't necessarily not well-cared for.

I had a few years of private, expensive orthodontics as a kid but my teeth aren't American straight (the goal was to correct an under-bite, position them healthily but most importantly still to have them look natural). Teeth that are too even, too straight and bright white are just tacky. If you can tell that work has been done, that work was a failure.

Stuck like cosmetic veneers that destroy healthy teeth for no good reason whatsoever is just crazy and not a positive thing.

by Anonymousreply 11312/08/2014

Typical Brit defenders. Plenty of young Americans have white teeth because they brush, floss, use mouthwash and go the dentist for cleanup. You don't have to get them bleached if you clean them after every meal. There's a clear difference between beautiful white natural teeth and the fake veneers/implants etc.

by Anonymousreply 11412/08/2014

Even by British standards, these are incredible(click to enlarge). My God, Liz. Pay for the man to get some help!:

by Anonymousreply 11512/25/2014

1. Only 10% of water supply in UK is flouridated. Fluoridation helps prevent tooth decay, especially for the young.

2. NHS program for oral hygiene started in 1950s, better funding in 1960s/70s. Kids born earlier, or to families that didn't follow it, have weak/decay teeth - much more likely to get teeth pulled/crowned in later life.

3. Orthodontry is available but you cannot put braces on weak teeth/gums. So partial plates/crowns/dentures are more common there.

4. Cosmetic dentistry - whitening, veneers, are less expensive here.

by Anonymousreply 11612/25/2014

Cosmetic dentistry is less expensive HERE in the US? How is that possible? Invisalign alone is like $8K, so how much more would it be over there?

Jesus, do you have to get a mortgage on your house in the UK if you want anything aesthetic done to your teeth?

by Anonymousreply 11712/25/2014

I know people who go to poland for dental work.

by Anonymousreply 11812/25/2014

Too much tea.

by Anonymousreply 11912/25/2014

I drink tons of tea and my teeth don't like that.

by Anonymousreply 12012/25/2014

omfg R115 lol

R118 serious? wow.

by Anonymousreply 12112/29/2014

a lot of them are quite scary

by Anonymousreply 12201/03/2015

While watching the recent broadcast on PBS of Ken Burn's "The Roosevelts" was struck at just how bad so many person's teeth were back then.

In countless vintage film footage you saw nothing but misalign, rotted, missing and or suffering from obvious stages of periodontal diseased teeth. FDR seems to have had OK teeth, but Al Smith and many others today probably would have had the lot extracted and fitted with false.

Could understand such poor oral health in "the poor" but the Rossevelts and their set weren't exactly living in poverty.

by Anonymousreply 12301/03/2015

the opening line of the British Marie Claire website blog is hilarious! The author acts shocked that people judge others on how their teeth look:

[quote]Hands up who knew how much the way our teeth look really impacts what other people think of you?

is this not done in the UK? It's just OK to walk around with jacked up teeth?

by Anonymousreply 12401/10/2015

In the UK, R124, having "jacked up" (as you put it) teeth has always been a sign of authenticity and even trustworthiness. Those who went out of their way to improve their dental appearance have always been suspect among hard core Britons.

It is not uncommon even to this day for very successful Brits who are considered quite attractive to have teeth that would be considered horribly yellow by American standards. When I lived there (from 1999-2009), it was also quite acceptable even among the upper classes to walk around with front teeth missing - I'd say half of the age 40+ population over there had at least one visible missing tooth (and it got worse at 50+ 60+ etc). In America you just don't see that.

A dentist friend over there told me that because so much of the British food is able to be eaten with out chewing, there really isn't much of a demand for corrective (or even preventative) procedures.

I'm not surprised that they've all gotten used to looking at each others' rotten teeth all the time, but I was quite shocked at their corresponding bad breath and how no one ever seems to mention it (or notice it?) but as an American, even after living there a decade, it would nauseate me almost to the point of vomiting on a regular basis (and it was everyone over there who had it - from kindergartners to seniors, so it must be a combo of the water, the food, and their hygiene habits).

by Anonymousreply 12501/10/2015

lmao R125 thank goodness things are kind of changing then. How the fuck can bad teeth be equated with "authenticity" and "trustworthiness"? That is absurd

The Brits ought to be ashamed of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 12601/10/2015

I knew an American who got relocated to London and let go several months later. On his release documents among the reasons for his layoff was listed "excessive tooth brushing/ vanity.". He inquired what that meant and they told him they saw brushing his teeth after lunch (they usually run clients out to lunch and he'd politely excuse himself when the check came, go to the loo and brush/floss) as a waste of company time and rude/ " improper" (that word has always stuck in my head).

He went to consult a lawyer or barrister of some sort who told them a British jury would never side with an American and more importantly NEVER understand brushing and flossing three times a day!

by Anonymousreply 12701/10/2015

R127 lol please tell me that's not real?

As bad as the Brits are about teeth that seems a bit too far fetched.

by Anonymousreply 12801/10/2015

I lived there for 10 years, R128 - I never saw that exact scenario but it wouldn't shock me in the least!

by Anonymousreply 12901/10/2015

and the British have the nerve to judge anyone else's appearance? lol

by Anonymousreply 13001/12/2015

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 13101/12/2015

r123 I noticed that as well while watching "The Roosevelts" on PBS. Many, many photographs of people who would've been considered "upper class" in the 1st half of the 20th century and even they had jacked teeth, as well as FDR and Eleanor. They had braces back then, and other corrective procedures. I wonder why people who could afford that just didn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 13201/12/2015

lol R131 and R132

by Anonymousreply 13301/12/2015

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 13401/12/2015

R134 what about the Cornish?

by Anonymousreply 13501/12/2015

I think it's more an age thing now. Brits over 50 appear to have bad teeth, while those under that age have better teeth.

People have become more vain everywhere, including Brits.

by Anonymousreply 13601/12/2015

Too busy raping and pillaging Asia and Africa to pay attention to their teeth...

by Anonymousreply 13701/12/2015

by Anonymousreply 13801/12/2015

Also, I think for many of us our knowledge of what people looked like in the 1st half of the 20th century comes from Hollywood films, and of course that is not representative of how the general population really looked. Hollywood was always at the forefront of fixing up jacked teeth and other unfortunate aspects of peoples' looks. When we see footage of "real people" from that time period, it can be quite jarring to see how busted-up most people looked back then as far as teeth, hair, hygiene etc was concerned. DL's annual 1925 Office Xmas Party photo is a perfect example of this.

by Anonymousreply 13901/12/2015

I think there is something to say about putting fluoride in the water.

And I originally posted the guy @R115. I had forgotten about it. Jesus Christ, heinous.

by Anonymousreply 14001/12/2015

In America it seems that be an indicator of class whether you've has your teeth straightened and whitened, in Britain the same class judgment is made on accent.

by Anonymousreply 14101/12/2015

by Anonymousreply 14201/12/2015

Not bad teeth. Teeth with character. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 14301/12/2015

Define bad teeth!

Andy Murray is my definition of sexy teeth. I'd love to run my tongue on his teeth.

This on the other hand, would be my definition of bad teeth.

I'm sure Hollywood would beg to differ, but I don't live in L.A.

by Anonymousreply 14401/12/2015

I've never noticed British teeth myself. And why do Englishmen think we "bloody Americans" give a shit about your teeth in the first fucking place??? This yank ISN'T your dentist so there is no logical reason why I should give a flying fuck about English teeth anyway! Yes?

by Anonymousreply 14501/12/2015

smegma

by Anonymousreply 14601/12/2015

R141

Persons go on about the cost of American healthcare but you hear little about the often obscene cost of dental services. So yes in a way good oral care has become something of an indication of class.

*Think* back when unions had some strength many employer plans offered decent dental plans. Today you are lucky to get a yearly cleanings/exams and a few cavities covered.

Periodontal disease, root canal, crowns, and other care can run into thousands, so it isn't surprising many Americans simply go without. The result is people losing teeth long before they should.

by Anonymousreply 14701/12/2015

I let a british guy go down on me once (good looking guy, excellent class and breeding, young, in shape) and my dick stunk for like a week. Literally. This is with showers, shampoos, everything. There was just something about his oral hygiene that was so foul and offensive I could even wash it out. Last time I ever got with one of those rotten-toothed limeys.

by Anonymousreply 14801/12/2015

R144 you're disgusting. Murray has that awful, typical, fucked up Brit teeth.

by Anonymousreply 14901/13/2015

[quote] why do Englishmen think we "bloody Americans" give a shit about your teeth in the first fucking place???

I can't imagine, r145... *looks at thread title*

It's the most tedious obsession on here.

by Anonymousreply 15001/13/2015

R150 if the Brits cared more about their teeth health and aesthetics, it wouldn't be a topic here. As we've seen in this thread, there are many examples of present day Brits with awful, neglected chompers.

by Anonymousreply 15101/14/2015

Here you go, r145, r151 has arrived to show you that it's actually a yank obsession, not the British thinking that you should give a damn.

by Anonymousreply 15201/14/2015

R152 hardly an "obsession" but something we notice, as yellow, crooked and missing teeth are just so unsightly in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 15301/14/2015

I actually had braces free on the NHS.

by Anonymousreply 15401/14/2015

Plenty of Canadians and Americans who grew up during the Great Depression had bad teeth. No need to be so smug.

by Anonymousreply 15501/14/2015

R148. LIAR, LIAR,

CAFTAN ON FIRE.

by Anonymousreply 15601/14/2015

R155 it's not the Great Depression anymore. There are waaaaaay too many Brits under 70 with absolutely pathetically bad teeth. Stop being so defensive.

by Anonymousreply 15701/14/2015

R155

Yes, the ravages of poor dental care and disease cannot be undone for those born before the Baby Boom. For them the answer is what it always was; pull them out and go with false teeth.

OTOH there really isn't any reason for Baby Boom generation or beyond Americans to have poor teeth other than poverty and ignorance.

The latter comes from slattern parents who give Coca-Cola or other sweetened drinks to infants/toddlers in the bottles, especially before bed. A couple of friends work as volunteer dentists and hygienists for that Dental America thing, and they report often seeing toddlers and young kids with entire mouths of rotted teeth due to that behavior.

Ignorance comes from persons either not knowing or caring to learn about the importance of routine brushing, flossing and seeing a dentist.

Some persons complain about the cost of seeing a dentist even just for routine care but will gladly put a house full of new electronics and other stuff they don't need on credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 15801/14/2015

The younger Brits have better teeth than the generations that came before them, but in general the country is still an embarrassment. It's just totally acceptable to awful yellow, cavity-ridden, crooked teeth!

by Anonymousreply 15904/24/2015

Better question: why do the Kennedys have bad teeth?

by Anonymousreply 16004/24/2015

It's funny-since Brits love to copy American culture, they have FINALLY started to care more about their teeth.

On the other hand, there have been plenty of articles in British papers whining and complaining about teeth being more than just for chewing and also as a part of health and beauty.

by Anonymousreply 16104/24/2015

R144 you are disgusting lol Murray's teeth are hideous

by Anonymousreply 16204/25/2015

why are some posters in this thread saying that straight, white teeth automatically imply "fake"? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you regularly brush your teeth after each meal/snack and have had braces if your teeth are crooked, you'll be fine. No one is saying you need implants or absurdly fake-looking teeth. Healthy always looks hot.

Yellow/off-colored crooked teeth are ugly and just don't look healthy. Why is that so hard to understand?

by Anonymousreply 16304/25/2015

R163, white teeth do not look healthy. They look fake and their owner retarded.

by Anonymousreply 16404/25/2015

R164 you have a warped view. White teeth means a person has clean, healthy teeth and that he/she cares about his/her health and appearance. Plenty of people have their own natural teeth and they're white because they take care of them.

Yellow/brown/off-colored teeth are not attractive and often indicate someone doesn't take care of his/her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 16504/25/2015

For some reason orthodonture emerged as the thing to do with kids in the US after the 2nd World War: families who would not spend money on other things would shell out lots of dough to fix their children's teeth. Probably this has to do with the twentieth-century obsession in the United States with extroversion (chronicled in the recent bestseller QUIET), which demanded everyone in the US shows off a big smile.

When I as in college, Andrew Sullivan was a graduate student at the same school where I was a graduate student, and he had braces, which in those days was very rare for someone in his 20s. I asked someone who knew him well why he was bothering to have it done, and they said, "Oh, he recently decided he wants to be big in the media in the US someday, and he believes Americans won't take you seriously if you have crooked British teeth." About that time he also started learning how to affect an American accent (replacing his East End accent).

by Anonymousreply 16604/25/2015

[quote]It's funny-since Brits love to copy American culture, they have FINALLY started to care more about their teeth.

I've noticed that too.

by Anonymousreply 16704/25/2015

R166 you do realize that taking care of one's teeth is good for health reasons, beyond just vanity?

by Anonymousreply 16804/25/2015

Do Brits at least floss since that's crucial to heart health?

by Anonymousreply 16904/25/2015

A lot of them have extremely narrow palates.

by Anonymousreply 17004/25/2015

Bad news, there are now programmes on tv here in the UK featuring real Americans as opposed to the perfect surgically enhanced ones we usually see.

And seen as though you are all rich and live in LA, I've got to tell you in the rest of the country the teeth are really bad.

by Anonymousreply 17104/27/2015

Cara Delevingne, a British average-looking joke of a "supermodel" has some UGLY yellow teeth. There's really no excuse for her

by Anonymousreply 17204/27/2015

Lol lol!!!!!! I'm a brit and have natural healthy teeth and so do my friends. No many of us use our teeth and that's to eat with. That's why they're there. No whiteners...why would I. ...for vanity sake?!!!! No ta. I've more cerebral things that take up my time...u jumpy redneck meatheads and vain greedy fat american War mongerers. you've no manners, you all talk too loud, ask shed loads of questions in tourist areas 'Oooooo look at me...I'm an emerican' and we all wish you'd shut your donut cakeholes. Yep...Americans have no manners and your racists.

by Anonymousreply 17304/27/2015

Every English person I have ever met had bad crooked horse teeth! I hate to admit stereotypes are true but so far yeah it is!

by Anonymousreply 17405/30/2015

I'm in better shape than you most likely and have perfectly straight pearly whites and you are probably a redneck cause you don't have time to take care of your teeth lmao poor British kid I wish you the best!

by Anonymousreply 17505/30/2015

Again we are not all racist just the rednecks who don't take care of their teeth!

by Anonymousreply 17605/30/2015

I can't see a person getting fired for brushing their teeth after lunch, I've done so in every job I've ever had (yes, I'm English). Although I now wait an hour later as my dentist explained that you need the acid to be neutralised before brushing. Anyway, no English employer would argue any more than they would with a toilet break. Incidentally, my teeth are very well taken care of, and although I smoke and drink black coffee and red wine, I periodically have my teeth bleached to compensate. They're not unnaturally white, though, we don't like the fake look here generally. It's a bit like seeing a really bad set of false nails, if they look fake, your dentist or manicurist has failed.

by Anonymousreply 17706/05/2015

In America it seems that be an indicator of class whether you've has your teeth straightened and whitened, in Britain the same class judgment is made on accent.

The guy who said this is on to something. As any necessary dental treatment is very cheap here, yes, table manners, correct ways of addressing people and accent /dialect are more what you'd be judged on. Basically old money vs new money.

by Anonymousreply 17806/05/2015
Need more help? Click Here.