Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

AfterElton sucks out loud

Is there a better website out there covering gay men in media? AfterElton has so deviated from their initial focus and philosphy that it's become pure crap.

by Anonymousreply 10507/01/2015

OP, AfterElton is a fucking waste of time. They won't even TOUCH the closet cases on MTV or the homophobia on Comedy Central since they're owned by Viacom. They know damn well who their masters are.

by Anonymousreply 106/10/2011

If you check out the comments there are more Straight women members than gay men.

by Anonymousreply 206/10/2011

If it make s you feel any better AfterEllen is full of straight girls too.

by Anonymousreply 406/11/2011

I am a straight woman and I don't disagree- I think its a shame that AE is over run with fangirls- I used to read without comment and it was a much more unique experience- now it reads like a Glee fan forum. The obsessive love for that show, particularly from the older set, creeps me right the fuck out. That said, I am sure AfterElton is thrilled- they just want the traffic. It was good while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 506/11/2011

Good to know I'm not alone. %0D %0D And why the fuck is there a review of Super 8? There's no gay content, no gay characters and no openly gay actors in the film or openly gay writers, directors or producers behind the film. There's no reason for it to be reviewed on the site, especially when recent gay inclusive films, such as The Conspirator (co-starring openly gay Jonathan Groff) or Potiche (directed by openly gay Francois Ozon and feature a gay supporting character) went un-reviewed.

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2011

I totally agree about the Glee-obsession. And before that it was Adam Lambert. Really irritating. %0D %0D They tend to exaggerate the gay content in mainstream film and TV (e.g. Game of Thrones) while neglecting more relevant stuff produced around the world. I wonder how much their parent company dictates that they cover.

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2011

So......what's better, then?

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2011

Worse than Queerty even? Wow, that takes work.

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2011

I totally agree, R7. I have no idea why they cover every fucking episode of Game of Thrones when GoT only had one gay scene that lasted two minutes a couple of episodes ago. I'm fine with them covering that episode, but is there really any need to cover every fucking episode after that even when they don't contain ANY gay content what so ever? And they even had an interview with the actor for his two seconds love scene.. LMAO, ok then.

I'm also quite annoyed by their movie reviews like Tangled and Super 8. WTF is gay about those movies? Is every fucking movie with a cute main character going to be reviewed at the site now? wow..

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2011

[quote]I have no idea why they cover every fucking episode of Game of Thrones

Viacom is the parent company of Showtime. You're welcome, citizen!

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2011

What I find pathetic is when one of the ladies there in the comment section post gifs/pics of Chris Clofer and Adam Lambert trying to be sexy and expect the gays to drool over them..Just because they're gay doesn't mean they find those guys attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2011

I bet these are the same Entemann's eating fraus who thought that Johnny Weir was straight. I hate those cunts.

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2011

"And why the fuck is there a review of Super 8?"%0D %0D AfterEllen has the same type of issue - some of the musicians mentioned (e.g. in the new music posts) are heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2011

One of the kid in super 8 is gay.

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2011

r15, character or actor? AE didn't mention it in their review, and you'd think they would have; and if it was a character, I'd be shocked, considering it's J.J. Abrams writing and directing.%0D %0D r10, I think the reason the review those films is because most of the writers have hard-ons for sci-fi, fantasy and cartoons. They've admitted as much, but deny that that is the reason they published those reviews.%0D %0D r11, Game of Thrones is on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2011

If you think AE is frauish, look at the Anderson Cooper threads at DL.

by Anonymousreply 1706/11/2011

I am seriously considering just to stop posting at all. I was attacked for pointing out the idiocy of featuring articles about straight shows or movies, or today, for featuring a show with lesbians.. on a GAY (as in gay male website). I pointed that out, and I think it sucks.. if I wanted to watch that then I would have gone to AfterELLEN, not AfterELTON.

by Anonymousreply 1806/15/2011

Funny how the site becomes less and less gay for each fucking day.. now they think it's ok to write about lesbian shows and straight movies, and people who disagree get attacked.. WTF?!?! Isn't it supposed to be a GAY website?

Do you agree? And is there any other site like AfterElton, that covers gay tv shows, out there? I'd like to stop going to AfterElton all together.

by Anonymousreply 1906/15/2011

OP here: I stopped posting or even visiting the site when I created this thread. I was attacked for criticizing the site for wasting bandwidth on a non-gay film.%0D %0D I wonder if all of this is a directive from Viacom, for both AfterElton and AfterEllen to expand their coverage...with the intention of creating one whole site that covers media from an LGBT perspective, but not limited to those films, TV programs, musicians, etc., that are not LGBT in content or character.%0D %0D That may be what straight women want to read and experience, but not gay men and lesbians. There will be a flight of readers, which seems to be starting now.%0D %0D If I had the money and time, I'd create my own website devoted to gay media....

by Anonymousreply 2006/15/2011

[quote]now they think it's ok to write about lesbian shows and straight movies, and people who disagree get attacked.

This has been happening on lesbian forums since forever. They'll write about gay male and het junk. I don't bother with them anymore. They're full of silly, stupid teenage girls and straight males.

by Anonymousreply 2106/15/2011

[quote]OP here: I stopped posting or even visiting the site when I created this thread. I was attacked for criticizing the site for wasting bandwidth on a non-gay film.

Exactly! The same thing happened to me when I criticized them. I was verbally attacked too. I don't agree with their vision for the site. I don't want to read about straight tv shows and straight movies from a "gay" POV. WTF?!?! That was NOT what the site was supposed to be about when it first started out some years ago. It was supposed to be for and about gay and bisexual men, having gay editors and covering gay entertainment. Now though.. they seem to be fine with covering more and more straight tv shows, which is covered EVERYWHERE btw. But a gay site covering gay entertainment.. AfterElton was unique. I seriously don't get why they would just go away from that vision. The funny thing is that I think Glee was their downfall. They saw how much added traffic they got by catering to the straight moronic fangirls, so they probably figured they might as well cover straight tv shows, to get even more traffic, even though that means many former readers of the site are getting pissed off with the direction the site is taking. The worst thing is the stupid excuses given by the editors of the site, and I personally do not like getting attacked. I'm fine with people disagreeing, but the fact that people are getting attacked for criticizing the site?!?! I'm not ok with that at all.

by Anonymousreply 2206/15/2011

OMG.. this site sucks out loud. I mean.. it's becoming less and less gay every day. Shows like Pretty Little Liars, Vampire Diaries and now Awkward are featured on a regular basis without ANY, and I mean ZERO gay content.. This latest article makes me sick. it's clearly a piece written just to draw in viewers, but why it's on a gay site.. I have no idea, probably because MTV owns Logo which agains owns AfterElton. AfterElton is such a shitty site! But unfortunately I still have to go there to get my gay entertainment news, because there's no other site like it.. sigh.

by Anonymousreply 2308/03/2011

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that site sucks ass now. It's been overrun by fangurls, not to mention the site won't comment on closeted actors anymore.%0D %0D The site should not be considered a gay site anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2408/03/2011

I usually read their morning and evening link roundups just because it's a quick way to get all the gay news in one place. But with this morning's praise for homophobe Brad Paisley's new video, I may be done for good. What's next -- the Pat Buchanan swimsuit photo spread?

by Anonymousreply 2508/03/2011

It's also funny how they write about none gay movies and tv shows, like Super 8, Awkward, Pretty Little Liars and Vampire Diaries. They're not even gay! And they have apparently changed their agenda, before it was to write about gay entertainment, now it's to look at entertainment "from a gay point of view." Yeah, whatever.. if I wanted straight entertainment news I'd go to E! or some other shit site. I'm sorry, but there's no excuse for what they do, and they try to justify it and even insult those who disagree with the site's agenda these days. That article about Awkward today.. did anyone read it? It was just this huge PR written article, I read it because I thought it would included gay content, since you know.. it was on AfterElton. But nah.. not one word about gay characters or gay sex. The closest to "gay sex" was about a straight couple doing anal. I mean.. really?!?! That is considered "gay" enough to be on a gay entertainment website? Like I said.. there's NO gay characters or gay sex. I'm sure many gay men would like to watch a show that includes straight anal sex *roll eyes* The site is going further and further down the drain. It's a shithole these days. %0D %0D %0D But the lack of gay articles isn't even the worst thing.. the worst thing is that the site is overrun by fangurls and it is Glee central. Everything about that shit tv show is on AE. I even said it got out of hand and that the site was overrun by straight women, I got like 10 *0* ratings for saying that, yeah.. whatever. It's getting tiresome. And whenever you disagree with one of the editors you get a virtual slap in the face and you get a condencenting reply back. The editors like your pow, as long as they agree. FFS.. I agreed with the poster who said that the straight article had nothing to do on that site, but when I saw the reply.. OMG. They don't even have enough decency to reply with respect, no.. they act as all superior and as like all they say is right, and opinions are ok, as long as they are shared with the editors of the site. Fucking disgusting. I still use the site, because there is no other site like it, but it constantly pisses me off.. and especially the news articles about new tv shows that ARE NOT GAY.. WTF?!?! but I won't say anything because then it would just create a shitstorm and people agreeing with those lame ass editors. Fucking hell.. I wish they weren't so adamant on pushing and advertise series that have zero gay content. It's so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2608/03/2011

R25 Is Brad Paisley a homophobe (not that I'd be surprised since it's a country singer)? I don't know anything about him. If he is, then I want to know why this one dumb ass gay man I know was wearing a Brad Paisley t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 2708/03/2011

"But with this morning's praise for homophobe Brad Paisley's new video"%0D %0D I have never seen anything to suggest that Brad Paisley is homophobic. Even when Chely Wright was pushing (pushing, pushing, pushing) her autobiography telling of how she knew that she was a lesbian when she was dating Brad and then dumped him, Brad maintained a dignified silence.

by Anonymousreply 2808/03/2011

Wow.. yet another article today about a tv show that guess what, HAS NO GAY CONTENT!%0D %0D %0D If I wanted to read about Pretty Little Liars I would have gone to AfterEllen or any other site that featured the show. It has no business doing on a gay entertainment site.

by Anonymousreply 2908/04/2011

Yeah, I posted yesterday asking the Editor about all the non-gay content. Of course, several people rushed in to say 1) nothing has changed (uh, wrong!), or 2) I'm being closed minded because I want a gay site to actually cover gay material.%0D %0D I suspect MTV is jumping on them to make the site more mainstream so they can up the traffic and charge higher ad rates. The Associate Editor recently quit and I wonder if that's the reason. %0D %0D The site is becoming a shell of what it used to be. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 3008/04/2011

"And why the fuck is there a review of Super 8? There's no gay content, no gay characters and no openly gay actors in the film or openly gay writers, directors or producers behind the film. There's no reason for it to be reviewed on the site, especially when recent gay inclusive films, such as The Conspirator (co-starring openly gay Jonathan Groff) or Potiche (directed by openly gay Francois Ozon and feature a gay supporting character) went un-reviewed."

Contributing factor: Their editor is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3108/04/2011

If the site is also for bi guys doesn't that make the straight content somewhat understandable?

by Anonymousreply 3208/05/2011

If there was a bisexual character in the piece, yes. Otherwise, no.

by Anonymousreply 3308/05/2011

I linked to an article about them adressing the issue. Please state your opinion there. They need to get the picture. I'm sick and tired of people defending the site. The site has become unrecognicable. It's not the same as it once was, and we need to tell them that.%0D %0D %0D Again.. I would have quit the site a long time ago, but the fact is that there is NO OTHER SITE like it. I still enjoy reading their gay themed articles, even though it is fewer and fewer of them these days.

by Anonymousreply 3408/06/2011

It's a common practice that new fresh and edgy things "sell out" when they get the opportunity.

Take Perez Hilton for example. When he started he was a bitchy queen who didn't hold back and dished the good stuff. Now he gets paid by PR agencies and handlers to post or not post stuff about their clients and the his whole blog is a boring press release convention.

After Elton was fun while it lasted, but their main focus on soaps with gay content drew the attention of gay friendly women (some might call "fraus") to the site and they feel comfortable enough to stay there. I'm not judging, but when the ratio of posts and votes by women is more than gay men then a site or gay themed network platform or community has lost its true gay edge.

by Anonymousreply 3508/06/2011

ITA with everything you said, R35. I don't like what the site has become. But I think it's fishy that they're actually getting away with what they're doing, and that people defend them!%0D %0D %0D It's sad to see AE in its current state. I post there less and less these days, because the straight articles now outweigh the gay articles. And I find that incredibly stupid since it is a GAY entertainment website, as in GAY. If I wanted to read about the straight conent I would just go to the maaaany other straight entertainment sites out there. %0D %0D %0D I still appreciate AE for its gay content, even though it's less and less of it these days. I read the gay articles on the site, they are done well. But I skip/ignore the straight articles, because they are useless.

by Anonymousreply 3608/06/2011

The debate is raging on AfterElton now and everyone's defending the site by saying we're being closeminded for wanting a gay site to focus on gay material.%0D %0D What amazes me is most of those making the arguments are gay men. We're somehow now in a "post gay" world where we're so well represented in mainstream society that instead of having websites that feature gay content, we have websites that feature straight content "from a gay perspective."%0D %0D Bottom line is MTV wants AE to increase site traffic so they can charge more for ads. The Editor pretty much admitted that.%0D %0D I wish people would smell the Kool Aid at least before drinking it.

by Anonymousreply 3708/06/2011

I don't got to After Elton anymore. If I want gay news, I'll stick with Queerty or if I'm desperate, TowlerRoad.

by Anonymousreply 3808/06/2011

They should change the name to The Formerly Gay Website AfterElton.

by Anonymousreply 3908/06/2011

Straight women always treat any peaceful place as a vacuum that they have to fill...

by Anonymousreply 4008/06/2011

In less than 6 months, two of the main editors of the site have left/quit. The main editor wrote an article yesterday saying he's leaving. I'm starting to think that the de-gaying is not of their choosing, that their owner, Logo/MTV/whatever is calling the shots, and that they're unhappy with it.. which it's why they're now leaving. Fuck.. I kinda feel guilty now for complaining so much.

I blame the fraus/moronic fangurls for taking over the site. It started with Glee and only got worse and worse, and less and less gay. Now 2 out of 8 daily articles have gay content.. the rest? not so much. There used to be at least 7 gay articles out of 8 before.. Then Glee happened, and we've seen a slowly de-gaying of the site, something the editors and posters actually defended.. and still do. I never quite bought their excuse. It was OBVIOUS it was done to draw more traffic, they saw the potential with the increase Glee gave them, and probably figured they would have even MORE traffic with more straight articles.

I kinda had the feeling the other day that they're weirdly defending the site's direction, and I mean.. WHY would they defend the de-gaying at all? it doesn't make any sense! and the excuse that it's a "natural" direction and that the articles are not necessarily gay, but from a gay and bisexual point of view.. yeah, like anyone would even buy that lame excuse?!!? lol! like I said, it was obvious it was done, by the owners, to draw more traffic.. only it kinda backfired, and a lot of posters are now pissed off. Lets see if the increased traffic was worth changing the site for, and lets see if they won't end up losing more posters than they gain. Will be interesting for sure to see where this is going..

by Anonymousreply 4109/27/2011

Why don't most of you form your own gay sites if you aren't happy with AfterElton? Quit your whinning!!!

by Anonymousreply 4209/27/2011

R42.. I don't have the time or the resources to do that. If AfterElton had just continued to be a gay site then I wouldn't have a problem with it.. it has changed though, and is de-gayed more and more every day, that I have a problem with.

Of course you're not complaining, considering you're probably one of those moronic fangirls happy with the new changes. Congrats, a site is ruined because of fraus like yourself. I hope you're happy.

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2011

I don't go on AfterElton, sir.

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2011

Not only did they lose 2 editors, now there are constant pop-up ads everywhere you click. Corporate takeover is complete. This is the nail in their coffin I think.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2011

AfterElton has to be the worst "gay" site on the net.

Does anyone know of any other gay sites that offer information about upcoming gay films?

by Anonymousreply 4604/02/2012

Oh yay, yet another bumped old thread.

zzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 4704/02/2012

AfterElton is changing again.

They claim they are not de-gaying (stemming from sensitivity to the chatter that LOGO was going more mainstream last year?) and they will maintain their content.

But they are changing the name to TheBacklot.com in April.

by Anonymousreply 4802/01/2013

There is BUTT magazine for the alternative (read much, much cooler) gays.

by Anonymousreply 4902/01/2013

As in most identity-centered endeavors, the shit rose to the top.

They present us in the way they think straights see us.

by Anonymousreply 5002/02/2013

They've converted!

The Backlot must start today because when I checked Afterelton it took me to Backlot.

by Anonymousreply 5104/17/2013

The Backlot is a terrible name if they are trying to be taken more seriously and be more of a mainstream site. You immediately just think of backdoor, it seems like the name of a porn studio.

by Anonymousreply 5204/17/2013

I really hate most of the gay blogs. They assume we're all Fashionistas and that we all obsess all day long about women's fashions and female singers like Beyonce, Gaga, Rhianna, and Madonna. Am I really the only gay man who has no interest in those things? And no, I am not a "G0y" or whatever you call them. I love cock, not Project Runway.

by Anonymousreply 5304/17/2013

I've also been told they are stopping their online jigsaw puzzles featuring sexy guys (puzzlers, they are called), one of the few good things left in the website. STOOPID.

by Anonymousreply 5404/17/2013

[quote]Quit your whinning

Quit your loosing.

by Anonymousreply 5504/17/2013

I actually prefer this Backlot reincarnation to the frau-overrun Gleefest that it had lately become.

The focus is back to MEN (at least for now).

Geez, I wonder who realized that gay men would want to read about men? And not freaking Pretty Little Liars?

by Anonymousreply 5604/17/2013

I wonder if the originator of AfterEllen/Elton regrets her decision to sell out to Logo?

She was quite passionate about her mission statement but a big payoff must have been difficult to resist.

I'm sure they made her sign something keeping her from starting another site but hopefully it had a timeline on it that will end soon and she can start something fresh.

by Anonymousreply 5704/17/2013

Didn't AfterElton appear AFTER Sarah sold AfterEllen?

by Anonymousreply 5804/17/2013

After Elton is all over. RIP. Take a look at a messy cluster of bits and bytes now known as the Backlot. Goodbye bookmark. Goodbye most visited. PRobsably goodbye Darren Criss, as well. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 5904/17/2013

Wonder if they are going to try to re-boot AfterEllen? Now that's a clusterfuck. Same shit as The Lchat. Teenagers and Glee. That's it. And AfterEllen is so full of pop-ups and other crap, it takes forever to load. All of the other stories are about "subtext". Did you see how she looked at her? OMG! totally gay! And these are straight shows.

by Anonymousreply 6004/17/2013

It has been the same on AfterElton for years, R60, and when I pointed that out I was always attacked by a hoard of fangirls saying "omg this is a gay website, you don't actually have to have any gay content! it's enough to just look at entertainment through queer eyes!" Whatever the fuck that means. Ok then.

by Anonymousreply 6104/17/2013

Something fresh and new will come along and sooner or later it will sell out and become more mainstream (= profitable).

the circle of gay lifestyle culture.

by Anonymousreply 6204/17/2013

[quote]Wonder if they are going to try to re-boot AfterEllen? Now that's a clusterfuck. Same shit as The Lchat.

Not quite. Over at AfterEllen they don't mind it when "lesbians" turn around and sleep with men. But I will say in their defence, that (to my knowledge) it isn't overrun by straight guys or girls.

I can't believe straight women were posting on AfterELton. They're shameless.

by Anonymousreply 6304/17/2013

Can we stop with the women or Frau hating? I NEVER posted a comment. We didn't ruin AfterElton the tween fangurls and grown fanboys did. Most of us are just as upset over the de-gaying as you. I used to be able to find music/movies/books/festivals that I would share with my nephew before he came out. Now, the site is just like MTV and EOnline...that underground off the beaten path feel is gone.

by Anonymousreply 6404/17/2013

Louis Virtel is too good for that shit.

by Anonymousreply 6504/17/2013

Usually when people say women that are grouping the fangirls in there too. And yes the fangirls had A LOT to do with changing AfterElton. The get sucked in by things like Glee and are a big demographic and internet savvy so of course they can dominate web traffic.

Of course, AfterElton/The Backlot is still the best place to find about about gay content in the media so what choice is there.

by Anonymousreply 6604/17/2013

[quote]Can we stop with the women or Frau hating? I NEVER posted a comment. We didn't ruin AfterElton the tween fangurls and grown fanboys did.

Tween fangurls are women too.

At least here we can pretend it's mostly gay people posting, but how incredibly obnoxious of straight women to be registered with a picture and everything on a website specifically for gay men. And I say that as a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 6704/17/2013

Thank you for a thoughtful reply R66.

by Anonymousreply 6804/17/2013

No, R58. She started AfterElton before the sale.

by Anonymousreply 6904/17/2013

You're correct r63. On the Lchat, if you are straight, or bisexual, those girls will run you out of there. And forget about men posting. These are on the threads that are not GLEE related. I know those are loaded with straight girls. I have no problems with straights posting on here, or bisexuals. And I appreciate the fact that the gay guys here are pretty good about the lesbians. As long as it stays a gay site, it's all good.

by Anonymousreply 7004/17/2013

I thought it was such bullshit how they let the straight fangirls take over the Hot 100 List, which was supposed to be who GAY MEN thought were hot.

by Anonymousreply 7104/18/2013

The site used to have really good video blogs from contributors associated with AfterElton or MTV. They let all of those people go or they moved on to other projects. Examples include: John & Jon who did the Project Runway recap VLOG in the first seasons of PR, the Sounds Like A Hit theater blog, the Blood Work True Blood blog, or the short lived cooking blog. I watched all of those religiously and then they just sort of disappeared. But since they began transitioning to the new format(The Backlot)none of the video content on the site will play, no matter what your browser settings are. Do they make you log in to the site as a registered user to view the videos now? I have given up and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 7204/19/2013

PUZZLERS please. The new format is very hard to navigate. Plenty of negative comments on the new design and navigation. Let's go, guys...

by Anonymousreply 7304/24/2013

Why does AfterEllen get to keep its name, but AfterElton had to change to the stupid Backlot?

by Anonymousreply 7406/18/2013

Stop complaining. The puzzlers came back (sort of), even though the site is much harder to navigate than the original. It's all there, just bitsier.

by Anonymousreply 7506/18/2013

I was recently attacked for pointing out that it was a gay website, and should therefor have gay content. I'm sorry, but I just don't see WHY The Backlot is reviewing lesbian tv shows.. isn't that what AfterEllen is for? If I wanted to read reviews of lesbian dramas, I'd just go there. It doesn't belong on The Backlot at all. They have completely lost it, haven't they? I mean.. there's a few features I like.. the meme, the briefs and the weekly soap column. But the rest of the website is pretty much sh!t.

by Anonymousreply 7608/03/2013

Snicks over at The Backlot seems to be overly obsessed with Darren Criss and Freddie Smith to the point its getting annoying/weird.

by Anonymousreply 7708/03/2013

R75, NOTHING has changed at all.. just the look of the site, and the name. It's still a website mainly for straight fangirls.. hence all the coverage of Glee. They even manage to include lesbian tv shows - on a GAY (as in male) website! That sh!t just isn't right. I wonder if AfterEllen includes gay male content? Because The Backlot sure as hell doesn't include much gay content. It's less and less gay content every year. I blame the infestation of fangirls a few years ago. That's when their policy changed.. from posting actual gay entertainment to posting anything entertainment (mostly straight) "seen through gay eyes". What a load of BS. Now all they care about are hits, hence catering to fraus and fangirls.

by Anonymousreply 7808/03/2013

R40 is right, and what's truly pathetic is people like R5 and R64, who don't know they ARE the problem. You (straight women) wanting your all-gay sites... don't you get it? By being part of it, thinking you belonged (but the other straight women didn't) because you were the "good" kind of straight woman... you ruined it.

You ruined DL, too. You're like the people who move into a town that allowed them to buy and then want to pull up the drawbridge and say "no more... no more people because it's getting too over-populated." But if you hadn't been allowed to buy, the place would've been better, still.

DL isn't what it was. AfterEllen/Elton and queerty... none of it can be, because straight women won't let anything stay GLBT. They just demand to be included and think they're welcome. And then they don't know why we bash them on here.

by Anonymousreply 7908/03/2013

[quote]Straight women always treat any peaceful place as a vacuum that they have to fill...

Wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 8008/03/2013

Well said, R79. I agree with everything. I have been on Datalounge since 2006, seven years now. In the beginning, back when DL was a secret (sort of anyway), it was amazing. No bashing, just peaceful talk about gay celebrities and politics. Of course there was some bitchery and meanness, but it wouldn't be Datalounge without it. The thing is though.. back then you never got attacked for discussing a celebrity being gay, you never saw stuff like "haha I knew he wasn't gay you stupid f*g". You never saw homophobic straight fangirls coming here to attack us just because we dare mention that their possible crush might be gay. Something changed. Over the years, more and more straight people, especially fangirls started to invade Datalounge. It's not a secret anymore. I even think there's more straight people here than gay, hence all the homophobia and gay bashing lately. We can't even discuss gay celebs anymore! I miss the old DL, back in 2006. Back then everything was good. Now.. DL is just a mess. The straight fangirls ruined yet another website, just like they ruined AfterElton (The Backlot). It's sad, but it's the truth.

by Anonymousreply 8108/03/2013

R79 I never said I belonged. "By being part of it" as you put it, I was able to share info with my nephew at a time when he was desperate. I'm not going to get into all the stuff that happened before and after he came out, but like I said the site (before it changed) was very helpful to us. I understand the need for an all gay site and greatly appreciated it...so you can kiss my ass, I didn't ruin anything!

by Anonymousreply 8208/03/2013

LOL at 2006 being the good ol' days of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 8308/03/2013

R83, for me that is.. :) Remember that is when I first discovered the site.. through a friend. And yes, back then it really was much better. Less fangirls, better discussions about politics, less freepers, more good gossip etc. It was before the design/layout/whatever you want to call it of the site changed too. I liked the old one better. I liked that it separated gossip and politics.

by Anonymousreply 8408/03/2013

I have visited datalounge for about 12 years if not longer. There have always been hateful people here. The difference now is that straight women are part of the hateful people. It's still people who think if they say something often enough it will be true. It's the price you pay for anonymous posting. It has never been the be all end all of gay thought. There have been from time to time entertaining and informative threads. AfterElton is a toothless tiger and always has been. It, too, is not the be all and end all of gay thought. The difference is there is no anonymity. Towleroad, on the other hand, has something to say which borders on real journalism.

by Anonymousreply 8508/03/2013

R85 = The Voice of Reason.

by Anonymousreply 8608/03/2013

r85 is right and what is r77 talking about?

by Anonymousreply 8708/04/2013

The Backlot has the past week covered straight shows, with no significant gay characters. They weekly cover Agents of SHIELD, Arrow and The Vampire Diaries. Neither show has any gay characters.. lesbians, sure. Gay? no. I'm wondering.. do AfterEllen cover shows with gay men, or even straight shows? I'm guessing not.

Yesterday was a really important episode of Nashville. The show has not only one gay characters, but actually THREE, and they all had important story lines yesterday. Yet not one word on The Backlot about this.. why? I just don't get why they prioritize straight shows, is it because of the website traffic? Didn't this website used to be gay at one point? Before Glee, I mean.

If HuffPo find Nashville important enough to cover, due to misogynist and sexuality/homophobia issues, why doesn't The Backlot, a gay website? It just doesn't make any sense. It's baffling.

I can sorta understand them not covering gay shows all the time. Like I get it.. and especially now, when we have a lack of gay shows on tv. But when there's an ACTUAL gay show, they ignore it, and prioritize straight shows instead. I just.. I don't understand this.

by Anonymousreply 8811/15/2013

I never get why they cover shows with zero gay content (and yes, Arrow has zero).

Unless there is gay male content or an openly gay actor who is staring it shouldn't covered.

It is supposed to be a website about gay male content in the media.

by Anonymousreply 8911/15/2013

Thank you R89, I'm glad someone agrees! I've encountered abuse for pointing this out on The Backlot. I guess the mostly straight fangirls who hang out there now are happy with straight shows. I'm not though. I've mostly given up on the website all together. It just isn't gay anymore. It went straight when they saw all the website traffic they got from the straight fangirls. They branched out. I get it, more views create more income from the ads. I still think it's dumb though.. to sell out like that. It's not only about the money, it's about being authentic. There's a million straight entertainment websites out there. There's not many gay entertainment websites at all, at least not like The Backlot once used to be.

I must say, due to lack of other similar websites, and the fact that the little gay content they have left is still good, I still visit the website. Just not as often as I did. I don't like the fact that it sold out. It was a dumb move. They might have gotten a few more straight fangirls to visit TB, but they alienated gay men in the process, people the website was supposed to be for in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 9011/15/2013

I knew the site was now dominated by straight fangirls when Chris Colfer,Darren Criss,Adam Lambert and Gale Harold were in the the 10 ten list of the hottest in every poll they made.

by Anonymousreply 9111/15/2013

R92 Well, Chris and Adam are openly gay and Darren and Gale play gay characters on TV so what's your problem with that? Real live gays and gay content. I understand what you're getting at, but that was not (IMO) good example.

And, I guess everyone forgot that Arrow season 1 had openly gay John Barrowman as Malcome...billionaire/badass villian extraordinaire. People are still missing his evil ass character.

by Anonymousreply 9211/15/2013

...I meant R91.

by Anonymousreply 9311/15/2013

Please, while I liked what Barrowman brought the the role he was not a main character on the show.

There is literally no reason for them to cover Arrow (among other shows), it has no gay content but AfterElton long sold out about being about gay media.

[quote]due to lack of other similar websites, and the fact that the little gay content they have left is still good, I still visit the website. Just not as often as I did

I feel the same way. The website has dissappointed me in a lot of ways but the sad truth is there isn't a better option to follow gay content in the media so I still check out them out regularly.

by Anonymousreply 9411/17/2013

What's with The Backlot's sudden obsession over lesbians lately? They keep posting all these videos with lesbians, from lesbian tv shows, movies, adverts.. whatever. I thought it was supposed to be a GAY MALE website?! I have nothing against lesbians, but they have their own separate entertainment website for a reason. AfterElton (now The Backlot) was supposed to ONLY cover gay content, as in male. I wonder.. do AfterEllen EVER feature content for gay males? I've never seen anything about men on AfterEllen. Yet AfterElton keeps covering lesbian content.. why?!

It's sad, but The Backlot sold out around back when Glee became big and the fangirls started to infest the website. They basically admitted they got more traffic by "branching out", and ad revenue is all they care about. So now they cover entertainment "through queer eyes". Not only gay entertainment, like the website started out as. No wonder the original people behind the website left when it started going downhill. Now all the people that are left are fangirls, who attack you every time you dare to mention how off topic AfterElton has become.

Truth is.. in a way I get it. Ad revenue.. money issue, fine. Also, there's just not many gay related tv shows to cover right now. BUT they won't even cover the ones we do have!! One weekly column, although good, is not enough imo. Sure, there's been a drastic decline in gay characters on tv, and sure, the ratio of lesbians to gay men is now 10:1, but still.. how about covering gay characters that actually are on tv?! Nah, they won't do that! That's too gay! LMAO. Don't even get me started on their refusal to even review gay movies. I mean.. they often have interviews with the actors of said movies, but they never actually review them. Movies are actually one area in which there hasn't been a drastic decline in gay content. I'm talking mainly gay themed movies btw. There has been 10 great gay themed movies released over the last year or so.. yet only one of these was mentioned on the website.. and not one single review!

Their refusal to actually acknowledge gay characters on tv shows and in movies, annoys me. But the sad fact is that I still check in on the website from time to time. I do still enjoy some of their content, especially the weekly soaps column. The truth is just.. there's literally no alternative. I would have left the website a long time ago and never looked back if there was a decent alternative, but there isn't, so I still visit the website, just not as often as I did. I never post anymore though. Got sick and tired of being bullied, just because I didn't share the majority's opinion on different topics. I also got tired of being attacked every time I pointed out the fact that the bs Arrow reviews etc had NOTHING to do on a gay website. They shouldn't cover shows with no characters, but of course they do, because they sold out a long time ago, ugh.

Sorry this got long. I just had to vent. So sick of that website.

by Anonymousreply 9503/05/2014

What is this fuckery?!?! I'm baffled. They are covering straight shows with no gay characters while complaining about too much gay sex on tv!!! Is OMM working for them now?

by Anonymousreply 9610/21/2014

Backlot has become one stupid mess.Most of posters there are beyond insane and self righteous

by Anonymousreply 9702/12/2015

It's not only that AfterElton sucks. Hell, AfterEllen sucks as well. You would think there would be better representation for LGBT media.

by Anonymousreply 9802/12/2015

When you look at these sites, they tell you what the media powers really think of us.

We will remember what they did.

by Anonymousreply 9902/12/2015

And what are going to do R99?

by Anonymousreply 10002/12/2015

The Backlot sucks. They keep doing recaps of shows like Arrow with NO atual gay characters, yet they ignore shows like The Walking Dead with ACTUAL gay characters. The Walking Dead episode was incredibly important. It's a first time there's been a gay kiss (as in male) on a comic book show. Considering the audience rioting it was especially brave too. Sure, The Backlot did mention the episode and the uproar over the kiss. I just don't get why they won't actually recap the show?! It has gay characters. It's extremely popular. The effect this show has, showing the rednecks that gay people exist too, is so incredibly important. I find gay characters on shows like The Walking Dead more important and significant than on premium gay shows like Looking. TWD actually has the ability to make people think, possibly even change the minds of the rednecks and bigots (though I find this unlikely you never know).

by Anonymousreply 10102/27/2015

the Walking Dead is a redneck show?

by Anonymousreply 10202/27/2015

How come they stopped doing the annual Hot 100 list?

by Anonymousreply 10302/28/2015

So looks like AfterElton/Backlot is finally folding. I don't know when it will be shut down, but I just read the post from the guy who writes weekly updates on soap operas and he made it sound like this is the last week his piece will be on Backlot. Check NewNowNext for future updates.

by Anonymousreply 10407/01/2015

Here is some information about the death of what was left of AfterElton.

by Anonymousreply 10507/01/2015
Need more help? Click Here.