Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Simone Simon

Any fans of her here?

Anybody ever meet her (or know her)?

Anybody know anything about her? I can't find much.

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2013

She was my 78-year old father's favorite back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 106/11/2011

I'm a huge fan of "Cat People", a movie that's much better than its acting. %0D %0D Wasn't there a rumor that she was the illegitimate daughter of Hearst and Marion Davies? Or was it someone else?

by Anonymousreply 206/11/2011

I have seen her only in two movies in 'La Bête Humaine',a Jean Renoir film, and of course in'Cat People',a Jacques Tourneur movie. Of course i liked her.

By the way, she was easy on the eye, wasn't she?

t

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

I can watch Cat People over and over, it's one of my all time favorite movies and the acting is actually very good, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

R4 yes i agree this movie is so ATMOSPHERIC!

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

Exactly R5 and it was considered one of RKO's low budget movies, but the director/producers were brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

Simone Simon, Joan Davis in 'Josette'. Nice photo.

Sadly, i hadn't the opportunity to see this film. Has anybody of you seen 'Josette'?

The leading males of this movie were Don Ameche and Robert Young.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

In the original "Cat People", it was obvious that she could barely speak english, and could hardly act. But the movie is so good, it doesn't matter!

She really was a one-hit wonder, at least in English-language films. Did she ever do anything worthwhile in French?

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

R8 yes. She played in Jean Renoir's marvelous 'La Bête Humaine', with Jean Gabin. By the way this movie was based on Emile Zola's novel with the same title.

She also played in 'La Ronde', another French film which was directed by the famous director Max Ophüls. By the way 'La Ronde' was based on an Arthur Schnitzler's play. You want me to remind you that Arthur Schnitzler is the writer of the novel 'Dream Story' on which 'Eyes Wide Eyes' was based?

In the photo below you can see Simone Simon with Jean Gabin in 'La Bête Humaine'

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

She was fab in "Diabolique".

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

R10, Simone Simon was not in Diabolique. You must be thinking of the great Simone Signoret, who starred in that film.

Besides the titles that have already been mentioned, another film I enjoy Simone Simon in is Curse of the Cat People. It's a sequel to Cat People, but unlike Cat People, it's not a horror film. Instead, it's a psychological drama about a lonely, sensitive young girl, and it's rather touching.

Via IMDB, I see that Simon also starred in a 1951 French film with a lesbian theme called The Pit of Loneliness. It was directed by Jacqueline Audry, one of the very few women directors of that era. I saw Audry's film of Gigi (made a couple of years before the Hollywood musical adaptation of the story, which was directed by Vincente Minnelli). Audry's version was quite good. I'd love to see The Pit of Loneliness, which sounds fascinating, but it doesn't seem to be on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

[r11]: yes, indeed I was, you are right. I love Simone Signoret!

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

R11, omg, i had no idea that Simone Simon played in that Jacqueline Audry movie. I'm dying to see it too! Thanks for sending this information. They should release it on DVD ffs! What are they waiting for? It's so interesting!

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

CAT PEOPLE.....

Do you remember Jane Randolph? She played Alice in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2013

About Jane Randolph

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2013

I loved the TV show. Gerald McRaney was really hot as the older brother

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2013

"Simone Simon" was her actual birth name, and not a stage name. She lived a long time - she died in 2005 at age 94.

by Anonymousreply 1702/24/2013

R17, and she was lucky enough to die of natural causes. Wow!

:)

by Anonymousreply 1802/24/2013

I preferred the blond hottie, Jameson Parker, R16.

by Anonymousreply 1902/24/2013

Bon. Simon LeBon.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2013

A rare, yet oft overlooked beauty

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2013

Miss Simone Simon encore une fois...

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013

Cat woman...

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2013

Simon began her film career in France in 1931 and quickly established herself as one of the country's most successful film actresses. After seeing her in the 1934 film Lac Aux Dames (USA title: Ladies Lake), Darryl F. Zanuck brought her to Hollywood in 1936 with a widespread publicity campaign, but her films for 20th Century Fox were only moderately successful, and Simon returned, dissatisfied, to France. There she appeared in the film La bête humaine (The Human Beast) in 1938.

With the outbreak of World War II she returned to Hollywood and RKO Studios where she achieved her greatest successes in English language cinema with The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941), and the horror film Cat People. These films did not lead to greater success and she languished in mediocre films until the end of the war.

She returned to France to act, and appeared in La Ronde (1950). Her film roles were few after this and she made her final film appearance in 1973.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2013

With Tom Conway for 'Cat People'

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.