Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

We have never paid tribute to "Smash-Up, The Story Of A Woman."

That's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013

Wish there was a better print available. The only one I've seen on TV must be a public domain copy because it's so scratchy. I love the cat fight in the ladies' room with Marsha Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 106/08/2011

The current print is shitty. But it's worth it for the catfight between Susan and Marsha Hunt. Too bad she had to mess up that hot dress with the sequined hood.

Steady, Angie....steady.

by Anonymousreply 206/08/2011

Susan? Who is this "Susan"?

by Anonymousreply 306/09/2011

I always thought of Susan as a poor man's Barbara Stanwyck.

by Anonymousreply 406/10/2011

That's interesting, R4. I never saw it, but now that you mention it there was something in the set of the mouth, the nose and the way she would give the direct stare that seemed a bit like Stanwyck.

I never cared for her much beyond the camp - too brassy and seeming to believe being pissed and pissy was the way to convey seriousness. But that's me. She reminded me more of Ida Lupino with a libido and a better figure.

The story of her appearance at the Oscars at the end of her life is hair-raising. Lord, she wanted that last bow, even if it was only as a presenter.

by Anonymousreply 506/10/2011

Susan is Susan Hayward, multiple Oscar nominee and winner of best actress Oscar for "I Want to Live." She was one of the leading actresses of the Fifties. One of my favorite Hayward films is "My Foolish Heart."

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2011

You know that Bab's would have liked a sample of Sue's ladyham, but Sue wouldn't give it up.

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2011

LOL, that is what they say. Supposedly Susan didn't like gays, or at least did not like men she considered "effeminate". Now, one of my old drinking buddies, a flaming queen, met Susan in NYC when she was doing a B'way play (Mame?), and he insists she was nothing less than kind to him and his friends, and even invited them to her place for drinks. Who knows.

And Babs played it so close to the vest, I wonder if she had sex with anyone at all.

Even though Susan got the Oscar that Barbara never did (until they gave her an honorary one), I preferred Babs as an actress, finding her more versatile.

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2011

I liked Susan in early stuff like "Deadline at Dawn." She was a terrible hambone in her later films like "Where Love Has Gone", but they're fun to watch, and she was really beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2011

Susan Hayward was pretty the same way Debbie Reynolds was/is -- dimples & sparkling eyes, very girlish.

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2011

I hated Stolen Hours, Susan's mediocre version of Dark Victory. Just awful stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2011

A clip

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2011

Susan was beautiful. Agnes Moorhead supposedly carried a torch for her, although her love was unrequited.

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2011

Better yet, the entire movie:

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2011

Something was always off about her eyebrows. Can't explain it exactly.

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2011

[quote]when she was doing a B'way play

That never happened. She was never on Broadway. She made some stage appearances very early in her career with Louella Parsons' stage revue and did "Mame" in Las Vegas but never Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2011

I thought Susan was terrific in "Smash-Up" really believable as a woman who is troubled and struggling. She excelled in stories of women who were going through tough times and of course she was absolutely beautiful to boot. Susan was also one of the best smoker's the screen has ever had. She could make non-smoker's want to light up. Totally perfect with a cigarette. Smash-Up is a good story with a wonderful performance by Susan. One of the best, always loved her.

by Anonymousreply 1807/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.