Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ford Fiesta vs. Hyundai Elantra

I was going to get an Elantra. Then I heard they hate LGBT people. Now I'm thinking a Fiesta might be nice. Guidance?

by Anonymousreply 2906/10/2011

Buy this month's Motor Week.

by Anonymousreply 106/07/2011

The Elantra is a compact, the Fiesta is a subcompact. If you want Ford take a look at the new Focus.

by Anonymousreply 206/07/2011

The TV show, R1?

by Anonymousreply 306/07/2011

I want 40mpg, which both the Elantra and Fiesta have.

by Anonymousreply 406/07/2011

BTW, I think they actually make the Fiesta in Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 506/07/2011

r2 is right. The new Focus gets the same MPG as the Fiesta and is slightly larger and has more bells and whistles. And, yes, Ford is very LGBT friendly, while Hyundai is not.

by Anonymousreply 606/07/2011

Focus gets, tops, 33mpg on average.

by Anonymousreply 706/07/2011

That's the combined city/hwy, r7, which is actually true for the Fiesta and the Elantra, as well.

by Anonymousreply 806/07/2011

looking for Ford's LGBT stance...

by Anonymousreply 906/07/2011

Ford cuts LGBT ads after meeting with anti-gay group

by Anthony Glassman

Detroit--The Ford Motor Company staved off an anti-gay group%E2%80%99s threatened boycott by pulling advertising for two of its divisions from gay media, only to find itself accused of pandering to the religious right by LGBT advocates.

The controversy also caught Ford representatives giving contradictory statements to the New York Times and other publications.

WardsAuto.com, an automotive news site, reported on November 30 that Ford had negotiated a cease-fire with the American Family Association to avert the boycott, originally planned for last June. The AFA delayed the action against the company for six months so that individual Ford dealers who agreed with the organization%E2%80%99s %E2%80%9Cfamily values%E2%80%9D viewpoint could try to sway the company.

Two Ford executives, general counsel David Leitch and group vice president for corporate affairs Ziad Ojakli, met on November 29 with AFA officials in their Tupelo, Mississippi headquarters, joined by Texas dealer Jerry Reynolds, who brokered the truce.

Leitch and Ojakli were both senior Bush administration officials prior to working at Ford, reported the web site Americablog.com.

After the meeting, two Ford divisions, Jaguar and Range Rover, dropped their advertising in gay magazines and other media outlets.

Ford spokesperson Mike Moran said that the end of niche gay advertising for the two high-end lines was simply a business decision based on marketing strategy, denying that it was related to the threatened AFA boycott.

But Moran also told the Advocate, one of the publications that had carried the ads, that the company had no disagreement with a statement on AFA%E2%80%99s web site that described their agreement.

WardsAuto.com, in a later report, said they had confirmed that dropping the ads was part of a deal with AFA.

The web site also said that Volvo, which Ford officials said will continue to advertise to the gay and lesbian market in 2006, will not use ads designed for that market. As part of the agreement, only generic Volvo ads will appear.

The company%E2%80%99s other nameplates, including Ford, Lincoln and Mercury, have not advertised in LGBT media and have no plans to do so.

Ford officials have also said that there have been no revocations of sponsorships for gay and lesbian events. But there will be no new ones, according to their agreement with AFA, Wards reported.

Ford noted that it will not change its antidiscrimination policies, which include sexual orientation. Benefits for domestic partners of most employees are contractual, and cannot be changed unless new contracts are negotiated between the United Auto Workers and the company.

%E2%80%9CWe are deeply dismayed by reports in the media . . . that the Ford Motor Company has entered into a confidential agreement with the extremist American Family Association that requires Ford to stop advertising in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender media,%E2%80%9D reads a December 5 joint statement signed by 17 LGBT organizations. %E2%80%9CIf there is an agreement with AFA, we expect Ford to disavow it. We expect Ford to publicly reaffirm its historic support for our community. And, we expect Ford to meet with LGBT representatives this week to resolve those concerns.%E2%80%9D

Among the organizations signing the letter are the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the Human Rights Campaign, the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, the National Black Justice Coalition, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, as well as the Triangle Foundation, headquartered in Detroit.

The American Family Association has a decade-long history of boycotting gay-friendly businesses, attempting them to alter their policies.

In 1996, AFA launched a boycott of Disney both for its pro-gay policies and because of %E2%80%9CGay Days%E2%80%9D at Disney World, which was never officially sanctioned by the amusement park. The group dropped the action against Disney earlier this year, pointing to the departure of CEO Michael Eisner, the split with the f

by Anonymousreply 1006/07/2011

New Focus. It's the European version done right.

by Anonymousreply 1106/07/2011

R10 that article is 5 1/2 years old. It means nothing today with regards to Ford's GLBT policies.

by Anonymousreply 1206/07/2011

Op, you've really given up on life, haven't you?

by Anonymousreply 1306/07/2011

I went and saw the Focus and Fiesta in person not long ago. If you need want a hatchback, go with the Fiesta. Fiesta gets better mileage and has a cute interior. I'll probably get one.

by Anonymousreply 1406/07/2011

I guess it depends on how big the carport is at your double wide.

by Anonymousreply 1506/08/2011

Shut up R13 and r15.

by Anonymousreply 1606/08/2011

And Ford no longer owns Jaguar and Volvo.

by Anonymousreply 1706/08/2011

Proof of Hyundai's anti-gay stance? I have an Azera and simply adore it.

by Anonymousreply 1806/08/2011

The Ford Fiesta has dominated in Europe for years and is a better car. More reliable, better engineered and better on gas. Hyundai and Kia are considered cheap and disposable cars in Europe. The Ford Fiesta, although small, is actually a quality built, European designed car. Americans have to get over their image that small cars are cheap cars. This is not the Euro way. Small cars are efficient cars. In all fairness, this also applies to the Honda Fit and the Mini Cooper.%0D %0D Hyundai, besides being one of the 3 car companies left who refuses to give benefits to it's gay employees (Porche and Suzuki), is still built on stolen Western technology as are most Korean and Chinese products. The newly designed 2011 Hyundai Sonota, had to be pulled out of the dealers because of sterring problems and this is only from industry pressure. It makes you wonder what problems Hyundai is not recalling.%0D %0D This will all fade in the future, because if you think Korean cars are a mixed bag of problems, wait until China starts exporting cars to the USA. You ain't seen nothing yet!%0D %0D (When I hit the breaks, the car didn't do anything and the muffler fell off. Then I hit the railing and the air bag fell out of the steering wheel and on to my lap. We were only going 15 miles an hour. I looked at the airbag, and the bag part was missing, it was only a canister. Why is the muffler the size of an egg, shouldn't it be bigger?)

by Anonymousreply 1906/08/2011

r19, which car are you talking about in your final paragraph?

by Anonymousreply 2006/08/2011

Chery Automobiles. They have so far been turned down 3 times, for failure to meet basic safety requirements in the USA, but they will soon find the right government office to grease and then.....

by Anonymousreply 2106/08/2011

I would not want to crash in a Chinese car.

by Anonymousreply 2206/08/2011

For what it's worth, the latest issue of Consumer Reports says that, in their testing, the average city/hwy MPG for the Fiesta was 33 compared to 29 for the Elantra. And the Elantra was $2k more.

by Anonymousreply 2306/08/2011

More re Fiesta please.

by Anonymousreply 2406/10/2011

Hyundais are over priced now. Their profit margins are the biggest in the non-Luxury market.

by Anonymousreply 2506/10/2011

Hyundai announced specifics about plans and pricing for its soon to be released Blue Link telematics package at the Telematics Update conference in Detroit. The system promises a broad variety of services with basic plans starting for less than half the subscription cost of competitors, according to the company.

Set to show up first on Sonata models beginning in mid-June, Blue Link will make its next appearance in the Veloster sport coupe due this fall. Hyundai says this technology will make its way into most of its models by 2013.

Like we%E2%80%99ve seen with other telematics services, such as OnStar, three levels of service will be available. Buyers will get all three free for the first three months. The basic Assurance Package will be complimentary for six months. Highlights of each are as follows:

Assurance Package, $79/year, $139/2 years Automatic crash notification. One button SOS emergency assistance or roadside assistance. Monthly report on vehicle system status. Essentials Package, $179/yr, $315/2 years. Includes Assurance Package and adds: Voice text messaging, which converts speech to text for outgoing text messages. A downloadable mobile app that lets users access services and account information through their iPhone, Android, or Blackberry device. Remote lock, unlock, horn and lights. Location sharing to help users let friends know where they are. Service link, which lets users schedule dealer service. Geo-Fence to notify parents if their vehicle leaves a specified area, along with speed and curfew alerts. Stolen vehicle notification, slowdown, and immobilization. Guidance Package, $279/yr, $491/2 years. Includes Assurance and Essentials Packages, plus: Turn-by-turn spoken and graphic directions display. Points of interest search by voice. Daily route guidance with traffic, which offers users the best option from several pre-defined routes to avoid incidents or delays. Gas station locator with prices. Eco coach to monitor driving style for best fuel mileage, and compete with other Blue Link drivers. Weather information. Restaurant ratings.

by Anonymousreply 2606/10/2011

Just take a TV camera into any Hyundai factory in Korea and ask what they think of gays. Then Youtube the clips.

Hyundai's market share would drop 20% within a month.

by Anonymousreply 2706/10/2011

Top Gear gave the Focus a surprisingly positive review.

by Anonymousreply 2806/10/2011

R28, funny review. I loooove the English.%0D %0D (Ford ST.... in the ladies room, sanitary towel)

by Anonymousreply 2906/10/2011
Need more help? Click Here.