Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Adults playing video games

What's your opinion on adults who play video games?

by Anonymousreply 6012/04/2012

No opinion. Not my thing but if you love playing have at it.

I admit I'm intrigued by that new L.A. Noire game.

by Anonymousreply 106/06/2011

These days, the majority of people who play video games are adults. The average age of a gamer is 35.

by Anonymousreply 206/06/2011

Years ago it might have been pathetic, but now games are on everyone's mobile devices. There's no escaping it. If you don't work and play all day, then yes, that would be seriously pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 306/06/2011

They're nerd fags. I bet they even read comics and know who the last 5 US presidents are.

by Anonymousreply 406/06/2011

Guilty as charged, R4. :)

by Anonymousreply 506/06/2011

Pretending to dislike things because you're afraid of being seen as immature it's a very mature thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 606/06/2011

This is almost like asking, "What's your opinion on adults who watch TV?"%0D %0D I think the vast majority of people play video games in some form or another, and it's accelerated with the broadening of casual and social games. 80-year old grandmothers play word games or Jewels on their computers, tons of people of all ages play games like Angry Birds on their phones, mothers play social games like Farmville or fitness games on the Wii, etc.%0D %0D Usually when people talk about "video games" they're referencing specific genres of games on home consoles (e.g. first-person military shooters on the XBox 360 or Playstation 3), but even those games have pretty wide age demographics, though largely male. But yeah, it just seems a bit dated to talk about "video games" like they're some new-fangled thing that only 8-year old boys play - maybe back in the 80's, but electronic games have expanded well past that now.

by Anonymousreply 706/06/2011

Most people who play video games are adults.%0D %0D I know a dozen people 40 and up who play video games.%0D %0D Why is this even a question? It's almost like asking about "Adults who watch movies" ... it's a form of entertainment, and it's more interactive than sitting on a couch and vegging in front of the TV for sure.%0D %0D Hell, there are video games out there with budgets that dwarf some movies, and which make a huge return, that would dwarf some box-office returns. Video Games are BIG. And POPULAR.%0D %0D Anyone who thinks they're just for kids is living in a weird sort of past...%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 806/06/2011

R7 = Nerd. Never went to Prom.

by Anonymousreply 906/06/2011

R9, I am a nerd. But I did go to prom.%0D %0D And apparently R8 and I are mind twins or something.

by Anonymousreply 1006/06/2011

I think it is a way some people deal with anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 1106/06/2011

I'm almost 42 and grew up playing video games. I don't have a system now but I want one so bad. The problem is I get addicted to the games.

by Anonymousreply 1206/06/2011

They're games. People do them to have fun. None of my business what another person does for recreation. My mom played the Wiis (plural)I bought for a sibling and niece and wants one now. It was good exercise, it came with the sports games.

by Anonymousreply 1306/06/2011

[quote]I'm almost 42 and grew up playing video games. I don't have a system now but I want one so bad.

Then get one. Geez, you're 42 years old, you do still need to get someone's permission?

by Anonymousreply 1406/06/2011

My opinion is that you're old, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1506/06/2011

I think a better question would be:%0D %0D Are any of you addicted to gaming, or know someone who is?%0D %0D I have a nephew who hasn't left the house in about 5 years due to his World of Warcraft addiction. I even hung out with him for a few hours and watched him play, just to see what the fuss was about. I couldn't get the allure at all.

by Anonymousreply 1606/08/2011

It's a perfectly fine form of entertainment but everything in moderation. Games now are so sophisticated compared to what was out there 20 years and they can be very addicting. The stories draw you in. R1, the LA Noire game is great!!!

by Anonymousreply 1706/08/2011

I love them. Just finished Portal 2, and now I'm completely engrossed in LA Noire.

by Anonymousreply 1806/08/2011

i gotta say, im pretty interested in the Wii U

by Anonymousreply 1906/08/2011

I love them and I'm going to be 42. I never played as a kid, so now as an adult, I find them fascinating. I only play on the weekends though. Love my Xbox 360. I'd rather play a game than watch tv. It's much more engrossing and interactive. The best games are the ones you can wander around in. I actually enjoy seeing the game design and all the details the designers put in. I hate relentless action type games. Love to just look around in a different "world."

by Anonymousreply 2006/08/2011

[quote]What's your opinion on adults who play video games?

It's a hobby, just like any other. It's no different from reading for fun, knitting for fun, playing golf for fun, etc.

Unless of course it is an obsession and you wind up neglecting your kids and pets because of it. There've been plenty of video game addicts whose babies have died from neglect.

by Anonymousreply 2106/08/2011

The adults who play video games and are all up into the "world" of the video game(s) scare the heck out of me.

Everyone else is cool. It is stress relief for some, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2206/08/2011

38yo gamer here. Taking a break from Warcraft for a while (I do spend a bit too much time on WoW). Just finished Portal 2 (anyone who disses games and gamers should try Portal 2 - it's amazing and engrossing, and there isn't a single weapon in it). Currently working through Assassin's Creed II. Giving up everything else in your life for your gaming is more than a bit sad, but people who don't game at all really are missing out on a vital new entertainment form.

by Anonymousreply 2306/08/2011

Does anybody have anything to report about the new Star Wars game? I saw a commercial for it yesterday and got excited, but I didn't realize it's a MMO. And it's costs $60 to buy and then a $15 monthly fee. That quickly diminished my excitement.

I do like video games, but I've never played one of the online role-playing games like WoW. If I were ever going to start, this Star Wars game would probably be the one that would draw me in. But that does seem pretty expensive.

Any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 2412/19/2011

I love Angry Birds

by Anonymousreply 2512/19/2011

Is OP posting from 1990?

by Anonymousreply 2612/19/2011

Been around video games and computers since I was a teenager in the days of Pong.

I have an Xbox and a Wii. GTA is one of my favorite games, but so too the Super Mario Brothers reboot on the Wii.

by Anonymousreply 2712/19/2011

It's better entertainment value that going out to see a movie. And more interactive.

I've played Borderlands, FarCry 2, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Portal 2, and others... they're amazing fun.

I pity adults who don't play video games.

by Anonymousreply 2812/19/2011

About 20 years ago, it was okay if adults played Tetris. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 2912/19/2011

I wrote a song about this very topic:

by Anonymousreply 3012/19/2011

OP, video games make far more money than movies. Someone with money is buying them. Guess which demographic has money.

by Anonymousreply 3112/21/2011

I grew up playing video games, still do. I dont do it every night, maybe once a week or so. Its a great way to relax and unwind after a stressful day and is also fun when you're playing with a partner.

by Anonymousreply 3212/21/2011

"Video" games?

by Anonymousreply 3312/21/2011

They're fine, within reason.

That said, I don't play them as I tend to get addicted.

by Anonymousreply 3412/21/2011

Think about home game systems. Those of us in our late 30s/early 40s grew up on these things. It's no longer "weird" for an adult because for us game consoles have always been around.

And yes, some of these games are very engaging. I bought Fallout 3 two and a half years ago. At the time it was one of the expensive games ($55?). But I have gotten so much game time out of it. Just played it again for the 3rd time.

by Anonymousreply 3512/21/2011

by Anonymousreply 3602/03/2012

As a 43 year old who plays video games, I'd have to say I'm pro video games.

What a stupid question. Do you live under a rock, op? Most of my childless peers own a wii or playstation, and even those that don't still play games on their phones or on Facebook, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3702/03/2012

Do any of these posters ever read books?

by Anonymousreply 3802/03/2012

[quote]Do any of these posters ever read books?

by Anonymousreply 3902/03/2012

Why would you assume books and video games are mutually exclusive? It's just another form of entertainment. Would you ask if a tv viewer "ever reads books"? How about a concert-goer? Or someone who likes to go dancing on the weekends, or golf, or throw back a few drinks with friends...

How old are you? You sound like my 73 year old father.

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2012

This thread is making me wanna fire up the PS3.

by Anonymousreply 4102/03/2012

[quote]Most of my childless peers own a wii or playstation

I know nobody without children who still has a wii.

Most everyone I know has an XBox though, with a few that have a PS3.

I know several people who have more than one system. My cousin (40+) has an XBox for herself, and a Wii for her young daughter.

I'm 46 btw. And I just finished playing Skyrim. One of the best investments (dollars per hour of entertainment) I've ever made.

I also read a lot (I'm never NOT in the middle of a book), watch TV, go to see movies, occassionaly go to see live theater and live music, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4302/03/2012

R42 You say that like its a bad thing. Is it that you are jealous of others that are younger or more agile than you?

by Anonymousreply 4402/03/2012

not my thing, really. but as long aas he doesn't do it for hours and hours on end, fine.

by Anonymousreply 4502/03/2012

I love role playing franchises like Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil.

World of Warcraft Online scares me a bit since it looks very time consuming which prevented me also from joining social network sites like facebook. I don't think I could give it the time and energy without having to cut down on other things I like (like working out, reading, going out with friends, watching TV, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 4602/03/2012

[quote]I know nobody without children who still has a wii.

Oh you are just 500 times cooler than my friends I guess, R43. I guess that's why you sit at the popular kids' table in the cafeteria.

by Anonymousreply 4702/04/2012

bump for adult gamers

by Anonymousreply 4812/04/2012

[quote]I pity adults who don't play video games.

Bitch, I don't need your pity. I happen to be a very happy, well adjusted eldergay at 48.

I haven't played a video game since Atari. Did get hooked on a few PC Games, loved Castle Wolfenstein, but got tired of it after I completed the levels.

I don't FB but love twitter.

Don't be so judgmental, I don't care what you do with your time, so please don't worry about what I do with mine.

by Anonymousreply 4912/04/2012

Who is bumping all these old threads?

by Anonymousreply 5012/04/2012

OP? What's your opinion on Adults who watch TV? Or Adults who watch movies? Or Adults who play poker? Or Adults who watch sports? Or Adults who play sports?

by Anonymousreply 5112/04/2012

[quote]Bitch, I don't need your pity. I happen to be a very happy, well adjusted eldergay at 48.

Yeah, you sound SO happy

by Anonymousreply 5212/04/2012

What do you think of people who like to get fisted?

by Anonymousreply 5312/04/2012

Well I'm 40 & plan on picking up the 3DS XL by Nintendo with Paper Mario to kill time over the upcoming holiday.

by Anonymousreply 5412/04/2012

Video games are awesome, although I hate how every game these days has to have a long drawn-out story. If I wanted to watch a movie, I' a movie.

by Anonymousreply 5512/04/2012

It's fine to play games but I know people (guys) who go home, game for 5 hours and go to bed. They neglect their wives, their kids and their pets just to kill some people on World of Warcraft. That isn't healthy. At least with booze they'd talk to others in their home.

by Anonymousreply 5612/04/2012

Video games are great fun. They can be as entertaining as films/tv shows. Video games have inspired films like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and Silent Hill (all adaptations of games). The Walking Dead games are even better than the TV Show. Same universe, different characters and you direct the story based on your choices.

To the "well adjusted" eldergay who last played an Atari game, perhaps you should give modern day gaming a try. Video games have come a long way since Astroids and Pac Man.

by Anonymousreply 5712/04/2012

Skyrim is one of the best games ever, and one of the best values for your entertainment dollar ever.

by Anonymousreply 5812/04/2012

Have you ever played "Tempest" or "Robotron" ?

by Anonymousreply 5912/04/2012

I don't play them and when I start judging people for playing them, I think of all the trash media I consume...I do love Tetris.

by Anonymousreply 6012/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!