Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Los Angeles

Do any of you live in LA or the surrounding areas? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of making a career move that will transfer me from NYC to LA and, while they're both major cities, I know they can also be very different.

Please no tired cliches either. Just thoughtful, intelligent comments.

by Anonymousreply 13303/26/2013

Yes, OP--I live in LA.%0D %0D What specifically were you wondering about?

by Anonymousreply 106/02/2011

Live in West Hollywood, work in Century City. What do you need to know?

Yes, the traffic is abominable but you get used to it. You will need a car.

Yes, it DOES sometimes rain in Southern California. But most of the time it's sunny and beautiful. The smog is overrated, too.

It's very expensive to live here.

by Anonymousreply 306/02/2011

Are you going to be commuting to work every day? Chose a neighborhood that you like closest to your place of work. That's the main thing. Everything is a little less convenient than in NYC, because everything takes a little longer due to driving. Driving, driving and more driving.

by Anonymousreply 406/02/2011

[quote]The smog is overrated, too.

The smog used to be horrible in the 1960s.

We'd get 3rd stage smog alerts where it actually hurt to breathe.

It's been getting cleaner ever since.

Now we never even get Stage 1 smog alerts anymore.

Also, the closer to the beach, the cleaner the air.

Worst air is inland just below the mountains. San Bernadino, Riverside and Pasadena.

BTW, if you live within a mile or two of the beach, you'll never need an air conditioner. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 506/02/2011

Be careful with the job because if you lose it, you'll have a fuck of a time trying to find a new one.

by Anonymousreply 606/02/2011

I'm not much of a WeHo type person, given that I'm not much of a Chelsea person. I live in and love the East Village so I think a neighborhood like Silverlake or Los Feliz is more my speed.

I also prefer a walking neighborhood with a lot of street life. Cafes, bars, restaurants and shops were you can get to with your own two feet and not constrained to a vehicle.

I mainly want to know what there is to do of interest. I know that LA has a budding art gallery scene and is generally trying to shirk the old stereotypes of airhead bottle blondes with no culture.

Also, is it easy to meet new people? One of the things I love about NYC and my hometown Philly is that it was easy to meet people even walking to the local deli. Is that same level of openness present in LA?

by Anonymousreply 706/02/2011

Living near the beach sounds great, but the reality is it will cost you. You will also have to deal with tourists and congestion daily, not to mention the valet parking just to go to the gym or the grocery store. You do need a car and to be prepared to spend the majority of your paycheck on gas since it's really expensive. And you should probably know a little bit of Spanish because there is a huge illegal immigrant problem here. Traffic is a nightmare, even on off hours and on weekends. It never used to be like that but now even going 45 miles on a weekend you have to allow 2 hours to get there.

But CA is beautiful and a nice place to live. It's not for the faint of heart though.

by Anonymousreply 806/02/2011

Where are you going to work? You will need a car and will be married to that car.%0D %0D The best place to live if you want to walk to your social life is Santa Monica. %0D %0D Silverlake and Los Feliz are nice, but unless you will spend every night on Vermont Avenue you will have to drive there also.%0D %0D And no you will not meet people walking to the Deli. What Deli? You can chat up people in Wholefoods or Sprouts but there is no local deli. The deli is a fucking restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 906/02/2011

[quote]I also prefer a walking neighborhood with a lot of street life. Cafes, bars, restaurants and shops were you can get to with your own two feet and not constrained to a vehicle.

In LA, those are called ghettos or Olde Townes

by Anonymousreply 1006/02/2011

Find a place close to your job-you WILL NOT want to deal with the traffic. If possible,Orange County is the way to go. Irvine, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach etc. Long Beach might be an option but you have to live on the Eastside( Belmont Heights, Belmont Shore) or over by El Dorado Park. Other parts of Long Beach are ghetto. Hope you don't have to live in the actual city of L.A-overpriced, parking sucks and YES it is FLOODED with illegals with an attitude.

by Anonymousreply 1106/02/2011

[quote]is it easy to meet new people?

No. Well, it's easy to meet a ton of new people but none worth keeping as friends. Very shallow, what-can-you-do-for-me types abound. Lots of flakes too - they look normal, they act normal (initially) but you'll soon realize they're not all there.

by Anonymousreply 1206/02/2011

LA is a completely different city when you get away from "The Biz" which infests the westside.

by Anonymousreply 1306/02/2011

If you will be working in Orange County, Laguna Beach is perfect.

You can walk to everything downtown, it just getting in and out of the town which can be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1406/02/2011

Yes, living in Orange County is great advice to give to a gay person. Orange County is one of the biggest conservative counties in the state. The residents are all elderly homophobes but it is beautiful there.

by Anonymousreply 1506/02/2011

Los Angeles = Souless. Urban blight. Vapid People. One Industry Town. It's All About Your Car. Endless Traffic. Awful Air Quality (e.g. Pollution). Fake Boobs...Well Fake Everything. Cultural Wasteland. Uncosmopolitan. Slow Pace...Not in a Good Way.%0D %0D Just All Around UGGGGHHHHH!

by Anonymousreply 1606/02/2011

The weather is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 1706/02/2011

Where exactly will you be moving to, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1806/02/2011

r15, have you ever BEEN to Laguna Beach?

It's Artsy, Liberal, and Gay Gay Gay!

(and it's in Orange County)

But keep on sterotyping. It's serving you so well.

by Anonymousreply 1906/02/2011

Lots of Repubs in Orange County, but like Palm Springs most do not give 2 shits if you're straight, gay or trans. It's not like the midwest. Chances are you won't have much interaction with the neighbors anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2006/02/2011

Of course I've been to Laguna, but I can't afford to live there or really even eat lunch there. It is artsy there and there is a large gay population. But I'm not stereotyping. Should I show you my emails from the time I wrote to the members of Orange County school boards who were trying to ban Gay/Straight Alliances on their high school campuses? Apparently you'd be shocked how so many of the members told me that they believed gays were "leaving the gay 'movement' in droves."

by Anonymousreply 2106/02/2011

If I take the job, I'll be working downtown in the financial district for a small investment bank.

I've reached a bit of a stagnant plateau here in New York. I'm a freelance broker and haven't had much success when I take my hand entering the formal Wall Street scene, but I think I'll have a lot more career mobility in Los Angeles.

This particular investment bank has been hounding me for years to join them and it will be nice to have more job stability.

I don't drive and I don't even have a license. I'm more than willing to pay for car service to and from work each day. That's not the issue. I just want to live in a livable neighborhood. Not one where you absolutely need a car to even go to the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 2206/02/2011

OP/R22, listen to what we're telling you and repeat it until it sinks in: YOU WILL NEED A CAR. Take driving lessons and get your license. You will be absolutely miserable in LA without one.

You haven't provided your age or any other stats, but assuming you're a 20-50 something gay person, I'd highly suggest Loz Feliz. Much closer to downtown than West Hollywood (or certainly Santa Monica), with a hip/quaint/ pedestrian-friendly downtown area.

And R19, have you been to Laguna in awhile? "Gay, gay, gay"? Maybe in 1990, but there's now only one gay bar left in the whole city. Gays and artists have been priced out for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 2306/02/2011

There is a subway that goes downtown from a few limited areas. I've never ridden it. If you can search there was a thread about it just in the last few days. If you can live close to the subway stops then you could get by without a car. Just know that the LA subway is light years apart from the NY subway system and won't get you many places. There are other public transportation options for that. You'll burn money up real fast taking cabs or using a car service.

Downtown LA is trying to refurbish and clean up. There are some great new lofts and condos there, but most people don't feel safe walking around at night. Still, it might be worth it to you to check out the area.

by Anonymousreply 2406/02/2011

Here's the thread about the LA subway.

by Anonymousreply 2506/02/2011

The OP posts his question so naively, so gingerly, so girlishly as if this exact same question has not been posted a million times before.%0D %0D The OP seems to think his situation and question are novel.

by Anonymousreply 2606/02/2011

OP, don't you think you should spend at least a weekend in LA before you decide to move there?

LA is OK as long you don't try to compare it to NYC. Take it for what it is and be open minded. There are parts of LA that are beautiful. I love all the parks (Runyon in the sunset!), beaches are nice, and for living, if I ever have to move from NY to LA I will choose Hollywood Hills (even somewhere around Beachwood would be nice).

As someone upthread suggested, Los Feliz would be a good location for you, though do not expect to find endless streets with cafes and small stores there (not like in downtown Manhattan). Downtown LA is, actually, pretty cool and you can walk around. Maybe you should find a place in downtown, get to know LA, and then move to another neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 2706/02/2011

Stop projecting your bitterness onto others, r27.

by Anonymousreply 2806/02/2011

Again, for the record: YOU WILL HAVE TO GET A CAR AND DRIVE! No one will take you seriously if you don't. You migbht be able to swing a car service for work,but for your social life, no. Taxis and buses as they exist on the East coast, don't work here. You don't meet people at the Deli as much of the town is in the "Biz" and some (not all) people will want to know what you can do for them before they decide if they want to know you. But the weather is worth it. I'm a former Seattlite and it was like someone let me up out of the damp basement for the first time in my life. Good luck-- but learn how to drive.

by Anonymousreply 2906/02/2011

OP, if you are dead set on moving to LA no matter what then I think R27's advice is good. Move to downtown but I suspect you will quickly find that it is not what you hoped for. But, it will give you the time to explore the other neighborhoods and give you time to get your drivers license. I know people who do not have cars and make it around on public transport but it is not nearly as convenient as NYC. Downtown LA is better than it was even as recently as 5 years ago BUT it is mostly dead after 6:00.

by Anonymousreply 3006/02/2011

Wow, OP. I could have written this post a several years ago. We even share the same hometown. I moved back to NYC after my LA stint, but I do have some advice for you if you make the move.

1. The poster above about LA's job market is spot on. Make sure you have all your moving expenses covered and a good amount of savings if the job doesn't work out. PLus so many people are out of work there, it's worse than other areas of the country. In New York, it's much easier to get work, and make more money. LA just seems difficult workwise - so make sure everything is solid with the small firm you will be joining.

2. You will save a ton of money on rent! For what you're paying for your east village studio, you can get a great one bedroom and still be saving a lot of money every month.

3. You really need to rethink the car situation. Seriously, you will need a car, but you can survive without one. It will not be easy. If you're working downtown, I don't suggest living downtown, it's a horrible area to live. If you want shops, and places to walk to I suggest living between Santa Monica Blvd and Frankin around La Brea and Highland. It's a cute little nook of an area (La Brea isn't that great though) where you can at least walk around and get to a grocery store, bars and nightlife are right there too.

You also will be walking distance to the Hollywood/Highland subway which will take you right to work downtown.

You will also be walking distance to the bus line (Santa Monica Blvd) which takes you right into WeHo, Silverlake - and all the way down to Santa Monica for when you want to hit the beach.

That's probably the best area to be if you need public transport to get to work.

I do seriously suggest getting a car though (and license) if you plan to stay.

LA is not like New York, but the weather is warm, it's very pretty - it's very different. As far as meeting people, just like anywhere else - you have to seek that out. It can be a very superficial self absorbed place to be, and you will find many of these types there so keep that in mind - but you can make quality friendships there like anywhere else. Just get involved, be social, and seek out the right people.

Good luck OP!

by Anonymousreply 3106/02/2011

How come L.A. doesn't have a mass transit system? In Dallas we have a rail system.

by Anonymousreply 3206/02/2011

[quote]Stop projecting your bitterness onto others, [R27].

Huh? How is my post bitter?

by Anonymousreply 3306/02/2011

[quote]How come L.A. doesn't have a mass transit system?

It used to.

by Anonymousreply 3406/02/2011

I've lived in Los Angeles for 20 years now and agree with most everything the other residents have said.%0D %0D If you work downtown - Los Feliz/Silverlake would be your best bet. They are also the most neighborhoody with things that make you feel like you could just walk around a neighborhood a bit. But nothing like NYC.%0D %0D Definitely will be a royal pain without a car unless you only plan on going to work and hanging in your own hood. You will be extremely limited and since you will also be an oddity - it may cause you to miss out on a lot of things going on in LA.%0D %0D Be careful because LA is a town where you can become easily isolated. If you so choose, you can become quite a hermit spending a lot of time in your car or alone. It's made up of people here trying to get somewhere else career wise. So people come and go quickly. It's a very transitionary/temporary town. Very little in the way of history or character for the most part. No respect for the past - much more interested in tearing the old down and putting the new up but in architecture and people.%0D %0D The weather - you start to forget what time of year it is unless it's sweltering and then you know it's summer. So you will lose track of the seasons. I often wonder if it's October or April or February? Because they all sort of seem the same.%0D %0D But there's LOTS to do here. And the weather permits you to do nearly any activity that interests you.

by Anonymousreply 3506/02/2011

[quote] How come L.A. doesn't have a mass transit system? In Dallas we have a rail system.

We had one. But the oil and tire companies colluded to to destroy it and turn LA and environs into a car culture.

by Anonymousreply 3606/02/2011

More please, r36.

by Anonymousreply 3706/02/2011

R35 is spot-on. Nicely done.

by Anonymousreply 3806/02/2011

Okay, OP since you will be working downtown, I suggest Los Feliz or Silverlake if you have a car. If you refuse to learn how to drive or get a license you will need to live in Hollywood. R31 is spot on about the train access. %0D %0D But be aware that even in rush hour the train isn't coming every 5 minutes. You will have no social life. When you meet someone and you have no wheels you will be seen as a loser. %0D %0D You could get a Vespa to move around a bit staying off the freeways. But I strongly suggest learning how to drive. I moved from NYC a while back and had never own a car. I hadn't driven since driver's ed in HS. So I took a refresher course and was fine.%0D %0D You don't need to know spanish and so what there are a lot of illegals here. Never been an issue for me. I'm by the beach and I love it.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3906/02/2011

The auto industry bought the light rail system out and dismantled it so we'd buy their cars.

OP, get a car. In L.A. you can't even hail a cab you see passing by. It's illegal. You need to find a taxi cab line at a hotel or at Union Station to catch a cab.

by Anonymousreply 4006/02/2011

I'm sorry, r27/33. I meant to say r26.

by Anonymousreply 4106/02/2011

Here you go R37

by Anonymousreply 4206/02/2011

Laguna is not gay like it used to be. No gay bars left. Extremely expensive.. more than in Beverly Hills and very congested in the summer, although very beautiful.%0D %0D Most posts already here are accurate. You will want to be less than 20-30 minutes to office / work... which may be 3-5 miles in some areas esp. the Westside. West Hollywood to Santa Monica can take an hour in traffic and it's like only 6-7 miles inland to the beach.%0D %0D Beverly Hills very touristy and crowded.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4306/02/2011

R27, I was confused by R28's response; you're not bitter.%0D %0D I agree living in down town LA is not what people who don't live here might think.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4406/02/2011

Thanks r42, I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 4506/02/2011

To everyone recommending Laguna Beach, are you forgetting OP doesn't have a drivers license yet? OP I briefly did the commute from Newport Beach to downtown LA - it was a long commute, especially in rush hour. Living by the beach is totally worth it, and while Orange County is great - Laguna isn't really a gay area. Newport is even less gay friendly.

Also, when you get your drivers license, I don't recommend being on I5 as a new driver - you're just begging for an accident. I would suggest avoiding that commute to and from Laguna as an inexperienced driver.

by Anonymousreply 4606/02/2011

Since you will be working downtown try renting a loft or apartment in the Arts District. There are lots of cafes and restaurants you can walk to. LA Live is not too far (movies, Staple Center, restaurants); downtown LA has changed a lot in the last few years; sections of downtown vary, some areas have lots of homeless and the SROs and missions that serve them but there are trendy bars, gallerys and services everywhere; I see lots of people walking thier dogs in the morning as I drive to work; depending on where you rent and work you maybe able to take the DASH to the office (a bus service that is pretty reasonable and allows people to move around the downtown area without a car); Also, the newer Ralphs is supposed to have a fantastic deli and I hear a Target is opening at 7th and Figueroa;

by Anonymousreply 4706/02/2011

Avoid Downtown. Except for area around Staples Ctr. and sealed condo buildings, extremely high crime rate! Check out crime statistics for this area.

by Anonymousreply 4806/02/2011

Um - all you supposedly hip L.A.-ers?%0D %0D It's Silver Lake, not Silverlake. Named after Water Board Commissioner Herman Silver.%0D %0D I live there and work in Culver City. Many times, the beaches are cold and cloudy ("marine layer," LOL) while my neighborhood is sunny and warm.%0D %0D If you work downtown, you can take the Sunset bus to Silver Lake. We have rent control as well.%0D %0D Like Tootie Smith, I'm just lucky to live in my favorite city in the world, in my favorite neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 4906/02/2011

It's spelled both ways, Silverlake and Silver Lake. Check out the signage. Miss Schoolmarm at R49.

by Anonymousreply 5006/02/2011

Downtown living now has many amenities, but the people are the flakiest of outlanders. They will be mostly NYC and Chicago people. That may lessen the culture shock for you, but the neighborhood is skeevy after dark.

Go for South Pasadena -- small town with stuff near larger towns with more stuff. In the area around the train station, there is a two block area where you can pretend you are a walker in the city, but then you can walk away into leafy greeness of a nice LA adjacent town.

Lots of Asians and old people being terrorized by Latinos from neighboring hoods, so that will add a dash of edginess which won't be your concern because they never bother non-elderly men. Many assimilationist gays with gaybies, so the people in the area can feel more liberal then they are (but again -- don't worry. They don't bother other white people)

by Anonymousreply 5106/02/2011

R49, Culver City is your favorite city in the world? What neighborhood do you live in, in Culver City?

by Anonymousreply 5206/02/2011

MARY AKA r49 has been here for a mere matter of months.

by Anonymousreply 5306/02/2011

[quote]I see lots of people walking thier dogs in the morning as I drive to work;

because they are too terrified to walk them at night - poor dogs have to go to the bathroom and they can't hold it in any longer. So hoards of dogs will be out at sunrise on the streets of downtown LA.

[quote]the newer Ralphs is supposed to have a fantastic deli

You'll be too terrified to walk to Ralphs, OP.

Op, coming from the east village, you will HATE downtown LA. It's filled with menbtally deranged homeless. You won't want to walk to any cafe's. Put it like this, Avenue C is Bel Air compared to downtown LA.

by Anonymousreply 5406/02/2011

I said I live there (Silver Lake) and work in Culver City.%0D %0D And no, it's not spelled "both ways" except for lazy retards who can't be bothered to learn things.%0D %0D I've been in Silver Lake for 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 5506/02/2011

31 and 35 are correct in their responses. I moved a year and a half ago to L.A. from living in NYC for 20 years. I drove a lot in NYC, but didn't own a car. You should DEFINITELY get your driver's license, although it does suck constantly using the car, it's the only way to experience life here.

Start looking for places on the internet, a key thing is that "Los Angeles" is made up of many small towns, some even have their own governments; but it's all considered living in "L.A." I found a nice one bedroom close the the airport and beach. Most places here have real closets and dining room areas as well as linen closets. :)

I haven't found anyplace that resembles living in NYC for more than a few blocks. Everything is a chain: restaurants, stores, movie theaters etc.,etc.; even the diners are mostly chains. You have to really look for authentic food that isn't a chain; I've become a much better cook.

Meeting people is tricky because everyone seems to have an agenda. People here awaken with the sun and things close down by 10P in most places. Bars stop serving at 2A. Also, people don't celebrate things here like they do in NYC; there's a small Pride festival in West Hollywood that doesn't compare to the Fifth Avenue parade. The only thing that gets people al revved up is the Lakers-seriously, they don't seem to care about anything else.

I stay here because I'm in the film industry, and the beach is the only thing that keeps me sane some days. It is like day and night, but you can't beat the weather.

by Anonymousreply 5606/02/2011

Los Angeles Crime Map

by Anonymousreply 5706/02/2011

Los Angeles

by Anonymousreply 5806/02/2011

Well, it's outrageous that the 2nd largest city in America doesn't have a sophisticated rail system, especially with L.A.'s smog problem. It's your own fault for not voting into office city council members and mayors who support such a system.

by Anonymousreply 5906/02/2011

Another option is Long Beach.

A good number of gays.

No "biz" people.

Downtown Long Beach is very old and pedestrian friendly. Lots of loft conversions there now.

As for getting to work, the Blue Line goes straight to downtown.

by Anonymousreply 6006/02/2011

R56, some people do not wish to drive - not ever - in their life.%0D %0D Is that so hard for people like you to understand?%0D %0D It's fine to state that you think a car is necessary in LA, but to harp on it like you cannot conceive of someone not having the temperament or particular faculties to drive gets awfully old.%0D %0D The OP has already stated that he is NOT going to be driving nor own a car.%0D %0D But you R56, and several others keep insisting that he must drive.

by Anonymousreply 6106/02/2011

The only people who don't have cars in L.A. are all the illegal mexicans you'll be riding the bus with.

by Anonymousreply 6206/02/2011

LONG BEACH? ORANGE COUNTY?%0D %0D ???%0D %0D Good night nurse.

by Anonymousreply 6306/02/2011

[quote] Bars stop serving at 2A.

Technically they close at 2AM and last call is at 1:30.

by Anonymousreply 6406/02/2011

Gays are far to fragile to drive.

Traffic causes them to hyperventilate and clutch their pearls.

by Anonymousreply 6506/02/2011

For r65.

by Anonymousreply 6606/02/2011

Here are your neighborhoods:

- Culver City (near the nice main area)

- Hollywood (near Vine, recently revitalized, completely pedestrian friendly)

- Los Feliz

- Silver Lake (close to Sunset)

- Melrose (streets that hug Melrose Avenue, between HIghland and La Cienega)

I would avoid living downtown. Everything great about it is available to you as a visitor, you don't need to live there.

by Anonymousreply 6706/02/2011

Los Angeles Times Crime Mapping Link

by Anonymousreply 6806/02/2011

(R35The weather - you start to forget what time of year it is unless it's sweltering and then you know it's summer. So you will lose track of the seasons. I often wonder if it's October or April or February? Because they all sort of seem the same. LOL. You'll soon realize there are more hot guys here than in any other metro sector.

by Anonymousreply 6906/02/2011

DO NOT live in the goddamn valleys.

by Anonymousreply 7006/02/2011

Good point about the men, appropriately post R69!

by Anonymousreply 7106/02/2011

If you move to Silver Lake and are over on Plump Snauer Boulevard, tell that old cocksucka Jimmy John that he still owes me a Ring Ding AND a reacharound!

by Anonymousreply 7206/02/2011

RE: Weather

Microclimates abound.

There are only two season. Wet and Dry.

Wet is Nov - Apr. Dry is everything else.

"Summer" weather can happen at any time of year. 85 and sunny has happened during many a Rose Parade on Jan 1st.

As a general rule, there is no "hot and sticky" unless the remains of a rare summer hurricane drift this way from Mexico.

A thunderstorm makes the front page of the LA Times every time.

It doesn't freeze. It doesn't snow.

The coast is subject to "May Grey" and "June Gloom" which will only extend inland a couple of miles. People are willing to endure this because it never gets hot enough for air conditioning.

The farther inland you go, the hotter it gets (but it's a dry heat). This is why so many people refuse to live in "The Valley".

Local Mountains (and skiing) are two hours away by car.

For really good skiing you have to go to Mammoth which is six hours away by car. They still have 10 feet of snow and close on July 4th this year.

by Anonymousreply 7306/02/2011

Why does a thunderstorm make the front page of the LA Times?

by Anonymousreply 7406/02/2011

Why? Because overall, the weather in Los Angeles is very temperate the year round.

by Anonymousreply 7506/02/2011

I have lived here for 20 years and really like it. I live in the Hollywood Hills and it's for the most part quiet and peaceful, yet close to everything. I grew up in NJ, went to school in DC, and lived in Honolulu and Sydney before settling down here. LA by far beats those cities. It's really what you make of it. I have a tight circle of friends, none of whom work in the industry anymore. When I moved here I found it easy to meet people but I was living in WeHo at the time and was a lot younger. I can't say that I liked it for the first year but once you figure your way around the city and discover the neighborhoods you like it will help you a lot. I wouldn't recommend downtown, although I was just there today and was surprised at how much it has improved. Best of luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 7606/02/2011

OP, I would check out Carson/Wilmington/Lomita area. ...lots of gorgeous bungalows close to the beach, nice restaurants, cute hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 7706/02/2011

I heard that Venice was being recone and is cleaner and hipper. Is that true. On Abbott?

by Anonymousreply 7806/02/2011

"Be prepared for a shitload of illegal immigrants who have turned much of the city into a Third World shithole."%0D %0D [R2] you are telling nothing but the TRUTH. I left Los Angeles 5 years ago and haven't been back once since. That place has turned into a rundown, miserable shithole. Never have I lived in such a trashy place. Rundown buildings, grafitti all over the place, trash all over - I don't know why anyone would want to live there now. And I know it's a sterotype, but it's true - (in general), people in LA are dumb as a box of rocks. I don't know if all the sun has warped their brains or what, but there are very few people you can have an intelligent conversation with. It's cliche, but it's true that many of the people don't care about anything but themselves. And the gay people in LA couldn't care less about you unless you're "somebody" or you've got money or can help them out in someway. %0D %0D I don't care if I never go back.

by Anonymousreply 7906/02/2011

Such divergent views on Los Angeles and living in Los Angeles!

by Anonymousreply 8006/03/2011

R55, if you lived there, you would notice that it IS spelled both ways, Silverlake and Silver Lake.

by Anonymousreply 8106/03/2011

I'm in LA for just the week. Any cool gay bars worth checking out tomorrow afternoon and evening?

by Anonymousreply 8206/03/2011

I've lived in L.A. over 20 years--and will say this: you need a car. The bus system is highly unreliable--sometimes, the bus doesn't come at all, other times, it just drives on by... After all, only "losers" ride the bus: illegals and seemingly deranged people... Believe me, ride the bus a few times and you'll see what I mean! As far as "exploring L.A.", you won't want to when it means a several hour bus ride.. You'll rethink stopping off at the store for a few items after work-- after all, that spontanaeity will cost you big in waiting for another bus to go home!%0D Now, if you want to be in walking distance of things, I'd live in Weho: stores, coffee shops, bars, grocery... Try to be near Santa Monica Bl... You'll meet people--you can choose just how involved or how much of the scene you wish to partake of...(And there is a pretty viable bus system The difference is, if you decide not to take the bus, there's stuff there!)

by Anonymousreply 8306/03/2011

[quote] The coast is subject to "May Grey" and "June Gloom" which will only extend inland a couple of miles.

Um, no. I'm 20 miles inland from the coast and we have it here as well.

by Anonymousreply 8406/03/2011

Silver Lake is correct, Silverlake is a common mistake. It doesn't mean it's right.

by Anonymousreply 8506/03/2011

I have lived in LA for 14 years (in the Beachwood Canyon area)... I moved from the East Village for work. It took me 4 solid years to adjust. It is not urban at all in any way. Yes, there are neighborhoods you can walk around (West Hollywood, Silverlake, Los Feliz, Larchmont, Venice and others) but they all consist of two blocks at best. Meeting people is hard as everyone here seems to be in the entertainment industry (or aspire to be) and are self involved. A car is really helpful but not mandatory as others suggest. The weather is great. You get used to it but I still miss NYC every day. Every day.

by Anonymousreply 8606/03/2011

[quote]Why does a thunderstorm make the front page of the LA Times?

Because LA can go years without ever having one. It's news.

Thunder and Lightning are almost as rare as snow in Los Angeles.

Snow in the foothill communities will also makes the front page of the LA Times.

by Anonymousreply 8706/03/2011

I love NYC with all my heart, but it is gritty, and dirty, and congested, and damned inconvenient. I don't automatically think of green spaces, and light, and sunshine in NYC, as unfair as it seems.Yet, it is a city of neighborhoods, and history, and it is wonderful because of the choices, and the options, and it's overall quality and texture.%0D %0D All cities have a down side. I think the main thing OP needs to do is learn to drive and get a car. He needs to discover the neighborhoods, and areas he finds attractive, and he needs to plan out a lifestyle. %0D %0D At first I'd recommend finding an apartment in a busy section of town not far from work. Easier to meet people or at least not feel isolated. Places like WeHo, etc. Good luck OP.

by Anonymousreply 8806/03/2011

Why do people on DL never mention Westwood?%0D %0D It's in a good postion re the beach and everywhere else and it's a district you can walk around in.

by Anonymousreply 8906/03/2011

Westwood = UCLA drunken college students.

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 9006/03/2011

If you live on the beach, you will never leave!

by Anonymousreply 9106/03/2011

I let the UCLA students have the run of Westwood. Though it would be a good place not to have a car since parking is impossible to find there.

by Anonymousreply 9206/03/2011

[quote]Contrary to urban myth, it is not illegal to hail a cab in Los Angeles. But it is illegal for cabbies to pick up passengers in bus zones and red zones or along busy streets when no-parking regulations are in place.

by Anonymousreply 9306/03/2011

I had a job that moved me around a lot: NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Columbus, and Los Angeles. Now back in New York.

Of all those, Los Angeles was the only one I hated, and the only one I was not sad to leave. I was there three years and never felt so lonely in my life. Somehow I found it impossible to make any personal connections. I just felt all I did was move from my condo (which was nice, actually) to my car, to my work, to my car, to some supermarket, to my car, to the mall, to my car... I felt very walled off. No friendships I made ever got off the ground for any of a million reasons. It was painfully and shockingly lonely.

I wish you better OP, but it was awful for me.

by Anonymousreply 9406/03/2011

Then go the fuck home, R86.

by Anonymousreply 9506/03/2011

Look to the eats side OP. I know people only think of L.A. as being west of the 5/101/downtown, but there is a lot of good stuff on the other side of Downtown like Pasadena or even Alhambra. Stay above the 10 though.

L.A. is a collection of lots of little downtowns that are walkable. Just find the one you like. If I had to move back up to L.A. (where I grew up) from O.C. i'd probably look around the South Pasadena area.

And please, get a car. R83 has it right.

by Anonymousreply 9606/03/2011

Wow, I thought Los Angeles would be a challenge to find friends, but some of you guys make it sound like a lost cause. Because of that I would never try to move to Los Angeles unless I'm rich and maybe have something people want (like a Harry Potter or Twlight type of franchise). And even then it would be fake friends who'd drop me in a heartbeat the moment I am no longer of use for them.

by Anonymousreply 9706/03/2011

I will say this: I lived in L.A. years ago, between 1968-1971. Then I moved to the Bay Area and lived there for 20 years before moving to Madison, WI. During the time I lived in the Bay Area, I never went to L.A. except for one trip to Orange County on business.%0D %0D Since I've been in WI, my job has required that I go to L.A. a couple of times a year (we have an L.A. office on Sunset Blvd.) The first couple of times I went, I was shocked at how the city had detriorated since the time I lived there. For instance, I remembered La Cienega Blvd. as being very chic, filled with great galleries and stores and lots of al fresco cafes. Very clean and the epitome of what you thought of when you thought of Los Angeles.%0D %0D When I went back for the first time, I decided to take a stroll down La Cienega to the Beverly Center. I was shocked at how filthy everything was...litter all over the place. Graffiti on almost every building, bars over the windows and doors of many businesses. It was amazing to me.%0D %0D And forget Sunset Blvd. It's a cesspool, for the most part.%0D %0D Truly like a Third World country.%0D %0D The people in our L.A. office, even though most of them are native Californians, would die to be transferred out of there to Wisconsin.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9806/03/2011

I'm leaving Los Angeles, but I lived in West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I wish that I had spent some time living in Venice, or Silverlake/Los Feliz instead (but not Little Armenia - mean old people). West Hollywood is fun if you have money and you're in your early to mid 20's. I loathe Beverly Hills. It has no soul, it's overpriced, and the people are RUDE. Downtown LA has cool lofts and love the downtown LA art walk but it's a dangerous, desolate area for the most part. Walk down the wrong street and you'll end up on skid row. People I know that live there are mostly "eh" saying it's not bad but not great.

My goodness, you absolutely need a car. I have been here for 10 years. It's a driving city, beyond a doubt. LA is sprawling and the subway system is not up to par. Do not live in Orange County, Long Beach, or Laguna (extremely expensive). If you want to be happy you must live near where you work, within maybe a 15 or 20 minute drive max with traffic.

You better enjoy the entertainment industry and events. LA is saturated with parties, entertainment. It's very transient. Very diverse. Weather is nice and sunny with occasional bouts of rain or natural disaster.

by Anonymousreply 9906/03/2011

LA is a great city if you can entertain yourself. If you know what you want and you don't need other people to give it to you, or give you access to it. Example: if you like to do outdoor sports, explore, stay home and read, make bizarre found object collages. If you are by nature a solitary creature, you will ADORE Los Angeles. The weather can not be beat, it's affordable and you can buy a lot of personal space to live in.

It is difficult to make friends if you don't have a job that is intrinsically full of people. Although there are scads of jobs like that out here. The entertainment industry is like a giant web where, once you get on it, instantly connects you to hundreds of people.

I've quite liked it out here.

by Anonymousreply 10006/03/2011

The key= know people in the "biz."

by Anonymousreply 10106/03/2011

I was born in Los Angeles and have left it. The city is now a Turd World Shithole. When I lived there it was wonderful but began deteriorating starting in the 80's with so many fucking illegals - almost all of them on welfare through dropping a baby over the border.

The downtown area is much better in parts since I lived there but after dark it's still violent. Do not live there.

Friends? Don't make me laugh, and there's no such thing as lasting friendships either. Even for people like me where were born there. It's really a solitary city, but then again so is the SF Bay Area.

by Anonymousreply 10206/03/2011

I completely agree with [R98] that LA is a complete cesspool. I lived there for the year of 2007 and that was all I could stand it for. I HATED it - it's a total shithole and rundown. I don't know why anyone would want to live there. I also thought that it was boring, as were the people. The people are not very nice and couldn't care less about you. They only care about people who have money and/or can do something to help advance their career in someway. It seems everyone is a user and nobody cares about making genuine friends. I never felt so lonely in my life.%0D %0D I live in Chicago now and I LOVE it. You can driver OR take public transportation and the people are much nicer.

by Anonymousreply 10306/03/2011

Los Angeles is still pretty much a clean slate for all things, which makes it such a great "city" (suburb next to suburb). As I read more of these posts, it seems those who've lived here/are living here, really start to live in a bubble. So many gay friends and acquaintances that live here just don't experience, nor explore, the "city". Most of them get holed up in West Hollywood, Hollywood, Silver Lake, etc. (Only recently have more gays explored Echo Park and downtown). Although, I can understand keeping to one's area, a lot of (mostly gay, IMO [and usually out of fear]) people who tend to say Los Angeles isn't a great city, are usually the ones who stay in one area. So, yes, a car would be great. But, depending on what area you'll want to live in, you could find it easy to get around without a car. You can find just about ANYTHING here. We've a very large fashion district-one for clothing, one for fabrics, we've large retail outlets, large health food stores galore, etc. Restaurants are abundant. The incredible, not as easily found, as in San Francisco, but I digress. We've some great beaches and the weather is incredible. You'll find plenty of clean places here. It's definitely not as dirty as New York City. The cops can be major assholes, but Los Angeles has a reputation for it. Speaking of, there are seedy places (which I like sometimes too), just like in most metro areas. I guarantee if you move here and you're one for adventure - YOU WILL LOVE LOS ANGELES.

by Anonymousreply 10406/03/2011

"It's definitely not as dirty as New York City."%0D %0D [R104] that is complete bullshit. New York City is WAAAAY cleaner than Los Angeles (this is coming from someone who has been to both cities in the last year). Los Angeles looks like Mexico City in so many areas it's scary. Unless you think grafitti on the buildings and bars on the all the windows and trash on the streets is nice.

by Anonymousreply 10506/03/2011

I'm sure the OP of the linked thread meant to post his valuable insights here.

by Anonymousreply 10606/04/2011

Culver City? You have got to be kidding. Culver City is like moving back to the 1950s. It's the city that time forgot.

by Anonymousreply 10706/04/2011

There is a lot of great advice. OP will you be getting a car?

by Anonymousreply 10806/08/2011

Read all about the I-405 and what will happen to the Westside in July

by Anonymousreply 10906/08/2011

R107, Downtown Culver City is like Westwood in the mid-80s. THE place to be.

by Anonymousreply 11006/08/2011

I would rather be in The Valley than Culver City.

by Anonymousreply 11106/08/2011

In the HIT film Troop Beverly Hills, Culver City was portrayed as very rough and tumble, blue collar- very hopeless and depressing. Whereas Beverly Hills is DA BOMB!

Cunts, riddle me this, is Culver City a ratrap shithole as portrayed in this amazing film?

by Anonymousreply 11206/08/2011

R100 through R104 capture LA in my opinion. I posted earlier and it truly is a place where if you're happily solitary and independent, but like lots of things going on around you and like a lot of "casual acquaintances", and plan to work in the biz (music/movies/tv etc) you'll be fine. I would also say it's a mix of trendy/good looking/snobby people who zip around in expensive cars, and a heap of illegals/poor and dirty/run down neighborhoods. There's not a lot of middle ground. LA is where you can reinvent yourself or start over every day. You can be as batshit crazy as you want. You can do what you want but good luck not getting lonely or fed up with your surroundings or the day to day hassles of the city. I've lived in LA and worked in, and out of the entertainment industry. You may feel lost if you don't work in it. I moved to LA for its gay scene and weather and once I did the things I wanted to do -- something cleaner, slower, affordable, nicer, etc sounds like paradise now.

by Anonymousreply 11306/08/2011

Culver City has been extensively re-developed and the downtown area is quite the hotspot now - a pedestrian area with loads of restaurants and coffee houses.

A Trader Joe's has been installed right across from the rehabbed movie theater, and the 20's-era Culver Hotel has been renovated, with the bar becoming a hipster magnet.

The whole city seems to have embraced its heritage as a movie studio neighborhood (Sony - once MGM -dominates the area) and it has a nice, upscale vibe, with lots of Art Deco architecture.

Quite a forward leap from the seedy, dangerous gang-infested hellhole it was in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 11406/08/2011

Culver City aint all that with their traffic cameras on nearly every damn corner.%0D %0D Downtown is nice with a lot of new restaurants and shops. Yes it is a great place to go out to eat at. %0D %0D Sony Studios is the center of downtown so all that has been built around it.%0D %0D My favorite is Manhattan Beach. OP, look into MB so you won't miss NYC.

by Anonymousreply 11506/08/2011

Manhattan Beach won't keep you from missing NY.

by Anonymousreply 11606/08/2011

Downtown LA rocks. I've lived in my loft there for over 5 years. I use my car to get to work in Mid-Wilshire, but usually park at home on Friday and either walk everywhere or take the red line subway into Hollywood for more restaurant and club options on the weekends. It's totally safe. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't spent any time downtown in the last ten years.

I love walking to the grocery store, movies, museums, Disney Hall, Mark Taper Forum and Dorothy Chandler Pavillion. Downtown also has the hottest restaurant scene right now.

by Anonymousreply 11706/08/2011

R117, are you in the Financial District? Little Tokyo? I love downtown but am not that familiar with which residential areas are best.

by Anonymousreply 11806/09/2011

Oh, by the way, my name is Helen Fucking Keller

by Anonymousreply 11906/09/2011

I've lived in LA my entire life. I know it like the back of my hand from The SF Valley to the SG Valley to the OC and IE, along with all of LA City, etc. %0D %0D Traffic sucks. Please don't move here. I'm trying to encourage more transplants that their dreams will never come true and they should go back home. %0D %0D %0D Seriously though, it's the city of broken dreams.... it will eat you up and spit you out if you aren't prepared. Natives are much nicer than the transplants who seem to get caught up in the fakeness of it. IMO You'll need a car, traffic is a bitch. I used to live in WeHo and drove to Culver City for work... it would take an hour sometimes an hour and a half. It is just ridiculous to take that long to drive five miles. It was never this bad growing up.... too many fucking people.

by Anonymousreply 12006/09/2011

Oh, but I have to add... contrary to what some of these bitches say... There is no city in the world like it. It's a bit of everything. I could never live anywhere else... perhaps Eurpoe, but not anywhere else in this country and I've been all over. LA is just a unique place. It doesn't suit everybody's tastes, but I'm happy for that. It'd be more traffic.

by Anonymousreply 12106/09/2011

If it's Chiat/Day, run away OP.

by Anonymousreply 12206/11/2011

Can anyone help, I've recently got a job in LA, so I'll be moving there early autumn. But I keep hearing people tell me how sprawling the city is and how difficult a city it is to live in. My job will be on South Olive street, near Pershing Square, which is Downtown, right? But most places I've been looking to live are West Hollywood, would that be a far commute to work every morning? I originally thought Silver Lake, but I can't seem to find anything I like there and it seems too residential, and it looks very dirty with a lot of rubbish bins everywhere. I'd like to be able to walk to the shops. Venice looks cool but it seems very far out from the centre of LA.

I'm considering a flat in the Downtown area, not teriibly far from where I'll be working, maybe that might be the best option.

I have lived and worked in Dublin since I started college 11 years ago, so maybe my idea of living in a city is goning to be very different from the reality of living and working in LA. But I cannot turn this job opportunity down, it's more than triple my current pay check.

by Anonymousreply 12306/16/2011

Don't rent Downtown.

by Anonymousreply 12406/16/2011

R123 -- Pasadena, South Pasadena, North Glendale.

Any of the nicer areas just off freeways that go downtown, but nothing off the 101 south of Burbank, the 110 south of Highland Park, the 10 east of La Brea, the 10 west of Alhambra

Stay away from the south of LA

by Anonymousreply 12506/16/2011

I saw a homeless man take a dump in the street this morning. Stay out of LA!

by Anonymousreply 12606/30/2011

R123 if you're working in downtown San Diego would be the most convenient. Plus there's a military base there for fleet week!

by Anonymousreply 12706/30/2011

Was she just a lucky lady in the City of Light?

Or another lost Angel in the City of Night?

by Anonymousreply 12806/30/2011

LA DL'ers, I am headed to your fine city this weekend and the only items currently on my agenda are the Getty Museum and Langer's Deli. If you could point me to some solid Mexican options accessible via public transportation from Hollywood and a SoCal equivalent to the Lexington Club in SF I'd appreciate it greatly.

by Anonymousreply 12903/26/2013

R129 Do yourself a favor and rent a car. Public transportation is not cheap, convenient, or fast here and you can usually book a car deal with your flight.

Langers is in a not very convenient location and is about 15 miles from the Getty in west LA and 25 miles from the Getty in Malibu.

However, no matter where you are in LA you could spit in any direction and find good Mexican food.

by Anonymousreply 13003/26/2013

Laguna Beach was gay about 25 years ago. Now it's filled with horrible straight "mommies" who push their $3,000 strollers and their disgusting spawn all over town while wearing Lululemon pants two sizes too small. Skip Laguna Beach at all costs (except a day trip, because it is beautiful). Orange County in general remains one of the most conservative places in California and should be avoided at all costs.

Echo Park, Silverlake, Los Feliz are all great choices and are very happening right now. Downtown is also. Do not live in West Hollywood for any reason, because rubbing up against the thousands of 25 year old meth addicts will break your heart in more ways then one. Unless, of course, you are turned on by sweaty teeth grinders.

Long Beach (Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights) is amazing. right at the beach, killer vintage houses, great normal people who do not give a shit about box office gross figures and fake tits. The neighborhood called Retro Row (4th and Cherry) is also cool.

by Anonymousreply 13103/26/2013

R131 I noticed not many people have recommended West Hollywood. If you choose to waste your time chasing after wanna be actor/model, meth twinks you might hate it. However, I doubt there is a more walkable neighborhood in LA. Maybe downtown Hollywood but I think Weho is not as congested and maybe has a little less crime.

I wonder what ever happened to the OP?

by Anonymousreply 13203/26/2013

I lived in NY, LA, SF, and now back in NY. If you can get a place in the Hills, any Hills, go for it. It's always better looking down on Hollywood than living in it, and I did both. LA isn't really my kind of place, but I love cars, so in a way it was. I indulged myself in every conceivable car fantasy I ever had. I still have many friends in Los Angeles. I like the nights there. The jasmine. The lights twinkling in the hills. Bring Xanax for the traffic.

by Anonymousreply 13303/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!