Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

To LA DLers: Have you ever been on the LA Subway?

How did it work out? Where did you go?

by Anonymousreply 6403/27/2013

The number of replies is currently zero. Wondering how many more years it will stay that way.

by Anonymousreply 106/01/2011

Yes. Several times, especially when I've had jury duty, needed to get downtown and didn't want to navigate traffic.

When it opened, the subway was barely used. The last time I took it, it was teeming with Mexican immigrants and more than a few crazies and homeless.

That said, it's a very efficient way to get from Point A to Point B. Amazing how fast you can zip from Hollywood to downtown. But it's not extensive enough for general usage; it just doesn't go to enough places.

Furthermore, unlike NYC, Angelenos have to drive to their subway stop, pay to park, and then take the subway. For a lot of commuters, that defeats the ideas of convenience and cost-effectiveness.

In general, because of its limitations and enormous cost to build, the subway's long been considered a big boondoggle here.

by Anonymousreply 206/01/2011

NYC subway was built by the private sector and made millions.

LA subway was build by the government and has lost billions.

by Anonymousreply 306/01/2011

I had to use it a few times. Nearly every time there was a crazy homeless person or drug addict misbehaving.

And one time a little kid threw up on my feet.

Good times.

by Anonymousreply 406/01/2011

[quote]NYC subway was built by the private sector and made millions.

All but a few miles of the NYC subway were built by the government. Some of those lines were leased to and operated by private companies, but they were taken over by the city in 1940 because they were not profitable. But thanks for playing, freeper.

by Anonymousreply 506/01/2011

We have a subway?

Cool. Where is it?

by Anonymousreply 606/01/2011

In Boston and London, everyone rides so problems are diluted. In LA, crazies scare the illegals, so they are no help.

by Anonymousreply 706/01/2011

I rode the subway in LA once just so I could say I'd ridden in.

My car was in the shop on Hollywood Blvd, so had a few hours to kill. Rode from Vine to the end of the line in North Hollywood and then back to Highland, just so I could mark it off my bucket list.

Can't imagine why I'd ever have any other reason to ride the LA subway. At least not until the build lines that actually go someplace.

by Anonymousreply 806/02/2011

Oh please. I've taken it to Universal Studios, Hollywood and Highland, Union Station (Olvera Street and China Town). I had jury duty downtown and it was awesome to take it. I've also taken it to the blue line which then goes all the way to Long Beach where I went to the Aquarium and/or gay pride a few times. I live in North Hollywood so I can walk to it.

I've seen some crazies and some normal folks. The best advice is to ride in the first car where the engineer is. That way, the crazies won't bother you. And bring a book or a magazine.

by Anonymousreply 906/02/2011

When trains crash, people in the first car are the ones who die.

by Anonymousreply 1006/02/2011

Yes, but trains don't crash that often. I'm not too worried. My odds are much worse driving to work every day.

by Anonymousreply 1106/02/2011

I did it once. I just had to go one stop, and I thought it would be fun. The moment I walked on, a man sitting right by the door puked into his briefcase.

by Anonymousreply 1206/02/2011

I used to take the red line from the valley into downtown. It was clean, and I never had a problem with crazies. A six dollar day pass will get you all the way to Long Beach, and you don't have to worry about driving or parking.

But, yeah, if you have a problem with Mexican immigrants, you probably shouldn't take it. In fact, you should probably move to Castaic and do us all a favor.

by Anonymousreply 1306/02/2011

I'd ride it all the time if it went anywhere useful.

by Anonymousreply 1406/02/2011

I ride the rapid transit rail all over LA. It's such a bargain for us old farts. I have two cars, but I most often take the train/rapid transit and I have ridden the Santa Monica line which goes underground, so I'm guessing this is the subway being talked about. Most of the system is elevated and quite nice except for the typical rider. So many don't pay and few are caught. The only good thing about the cheats, most of them behave so as not draw attention from the transit police almost always on board the trains I ride on.

by Anonymousreply 1506/02/2011

It's insanely easy to take from Hollywood to Downtown, but it's also insanely easy to drive from Hollywood to Downtown. And parking costs about the same as a roundtrip ticket, if you have to pay for a spot. It doesn't go to West Hollywood or Santa Monica or the airport or any other useful place. So, I have taken the subway in LA, but I don't take the subway in LA.

by Anonymousreply 1606/02/2011

Don't live in LA, but went there for business. I was staying in Long Beach and I took the train from Long Beach to downtown LA where a friend picked me up so we could hang out. Worked great. Didn't know anything about it at the time, had no idea about the subway system's general usage or how it was perceived. All I know is that it worked great for me that one time.

by Anonymousreply 1706/02/2011

I take the rail to LAX. The last couple of miles is by bus/shuttle, but compared to the 18.00 a day I day at Parkone, it's a real bargain for only 55cents and sometimes only a quarter. When I'm in Europe, I'm gone for a week to two weeks, so the savings is in the hundreds of dollars.

A spur line directly into LAX is planned in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 1806/02/2011

Just once. I normally drive. It wasn't bad at all. I actually wish it went more places. I'd save a ton in gas. %0D %0D I just went from a friend's house in the Valley over the hill into Hollywood. It took minutes and was a nice change of pace.

by Anonymousreply 1906/02/2011

I should add that the train from Long Beach to downtown wasn't all underground subway. Reading the other replies, I may have changed trains somewhere, but I don't remember doing so. I thought I took the same train from Long Beach all the way to Union Station.

by Anonymousreply 2006/02/2011

I love taking BART. I take it to work everyday and to Hollywood and Vine to eat.

by Anonymousreply 2106/02/2011

R5 why don't you go FUCK YOURSELF.%0D %0D Anyone who dares to say the government screws most things up is a freeper? Eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 2206/02/2011

I used to live in Hollywood by the Hollywood/Highland Red Line station. My mechanic was at the Vermont stop; drop off and ride back and forth.

Took the Red Line to the Music Center (Ahmanson, Dorthy Chandler, Mark Taper) and Disney Hall. No parking nightmare.

Took the Red to the Blue Line to get to the Staples Center.

If you live near a station it is wonderful thing.

by Anonymousreply 2306/02/2011

I never knew LA had a subway until I saw it on an episode of New Adventures of Old Christine

by Anonymousreply 2406/02/2011

[quote]The moment I walked on, a man sitting right by the door puked into his briefcase.

Now Cheryl, you should be used to things like that by now.

by Anonymousreply 2506/02/2011

The subway is great if you're one of the few lucky people that lives near a station and you need to go to one of the limited places it goes to. Memorial Day, I decided to do some photography downtown with a couple of friends, using only the metro. I live in West Hollywood and it took me just as long to drive to a station as it would have if I'd just driven downtown.

What makes it more inconvenient is that the Hollywood/Highland station (to the best of my knowledge) does not provide free park & ride lots to park your car like every other station does. It did used to be nice when the Dash shuttles ran through Hollywood/WeHo for only 25 cents because I could take that from my house to the station and not worry about parking. Sadly the entire H&H Dash line was discontinued because of budget cuts.

It does seem to have more than its share of Crazies than Bart or NYC though.

by Anonymousreply 2606/02/2011

R26 I loved that little Dash Weho shuttle. I hope it comes back someday. The riders on that were so much saner than the riders on the MTA buses.

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

[quote]I take the rail to LAX.

There is a rail to LAX? How and where? I visit LA once a year and I hate to rent a car at the airport, as it costs more.

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

Culver City to LA Live is great. They've extended hours on the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

I've never ridden it although I probably would if I had jury duty or something. I've heard parking downtown is expensive.

I don't really like anything underground like parking, subways, etc as I'd rather not be below street level when the big one strikes.

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

[quote]There is a rail to LAX? How and where? I visit LA once a year and I hate to rent a car at the airport, as it costs more.

The stupid thing is it doesn't go all the way to the still have to get off and take a bus....can you imagine...a bus!! What are we animals?

by Anonymousreply 3103/26/2013

[quote]as I'd rather not be below street level when the big one strikes.

true...look what happened to Ava Gardner!

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

About the Mexican problem, can't they just stop them from getting tickets? Show ID or get stun gunned? And maybe extend that solution to short people, too.

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

The red/purple lines agree the only ones that are true subways; the other lines are light rail.

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

There are no gates...anyone can get on an then a conductor comes through and takes your ticket. Bas system...lots of crazies can get on at any time.

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013

bad system^

by Anonymousreply 3603/26/2013

[quote]. And bring a book or a magazine.

Oh, really!? So that is how it is done!?!

by Anonymousreply 3703/26/2013

R35 You obviously haven't ridden recently. There are gates at most of the red/purple line stations, and you now need to use your TAP card at all stations.

by Anonymousreply 3803/26/2013

I take the red line alot from union station into hollywood and back. Its useful.

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013

Does LA Metro have a higher percentage of crazies riding their system vs. other cities? How do they get on? Do they buy tickets, too?

I can't imagine putting up with cracked-out schizos everyday in other cities where most of the general public takes public transit.

by Anonymousreply 4003/26/2013

I used to take it for years about 3 years ago because I lived very close to a station. I thought it was awesome since I have little patience for LA traffic.

by Anonymousreply 4103/26/2013

R38, technically you "need to use" your TAP Card, but the turnstiles work for everyone; people using a valid TAP Card or not. It's not like other cities where the turnstiles won't let you in unless you have valid credit.

The only thing making riders pay is the possibility that LAPD cops will check for TAP card credit, but that only happens about 15% of the time. (Thus, lots of riffraff still take it for free and get away with it).

by Anonymousreply 4203/26/2013

LAPD doesn't police the Metrorail system. It's a countywide operation.

by Anonymousreply 4303/27/2013

The one time I took it I didn't even know how to pay. I got on at Burbank Airport. There was no turnstile or anything. The train stopped, I got on, then I waited for a conductor but he never came.

by Anonymousreply 4403/27/2013

Did you suck him off?

by Anonymousreply 4503/27/2013

I used to ride the blue line between LA and Long Beach more than twenty years ago. The crowd was fine, it was never underutilized. That said, the scenery was not exactly spectacular, and the ride was very long.

by Anonymousreply 4603/27/2013

I saw Sinead O'Connor and that older dude she dated a few years ago on the red line. It was odd seeing a celebrity on the LA subway. You see celebs all the time in NYC' subways, but LA seems it'd be extremely rare to see famous folk.

by Anonymousreply 4703/27/2013

R40, when you take the Metro during rush hour, you will be amongst fellow commuters, and since it's packed during these hours, the crazies usually stay away. Afterhours is when it gets dicey. Late nights are filled with drunks and drug addicts trying to get home.

by Anonymousreply 4803/27/2013

Back in the late 1990s I took it from Long Beach to Union Station downtown. Worked great. Fairly empty at the time.

by Anonymousreply 4903/27/2013

Perhaps I misunderstood, but as far as I could tell there were NO free transfers? You pay for each "segment" in full?

I found it great for getting to museums in Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 5003/27/2013

[quote]The last time I took it, it was teeming with Mexican immigrants

They like tunnels, especially those between Arizona and Baja California

by Anonymousreply 5103/27/2013

[quote]I've never ridden it although I probably would if I had jury duty or something. I've heard parking downtown is expensive.

If you're on jury duty downtown, there is a designated parking lot where you can park for free while you're a juror. I've always parked at the Disney Concert Hall with other jurors and walked a few blocks to the courthouse.

by Anonymousreply 5203/27/2013

They need a line to connect Santa Monica to West Hollyood area. My friend met me at a Wine Bar in Hollywood and it took him 90 minutes from West LA. WTF? That is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 5303/27/2013

R50 The cost of a day pass is the same as two separate round trips, so if you're going to use more than one line, that's how you do it.

by Anonymousreply 5403/27/2013

I'm a NYer and I visit LA 1-2 times a year. I've taken the Metro several times. The first time was from Silver Lake to H'wood and it was nearly empty. I had the whole transit system to myself. The last time there were big crowds coming and going from the N. Hollywood Station. When I told my LA friends that I'd been getting around on the Metro, they expressed utter shock and disbelief: "You did WHAT?!?", "But it doesn't go anywhere!". That said everyone is pretty excited about the expansion to Culver City and the beach. Angelenos will take the train to get to the beach- watch.

by Anonymousreply 5503/27/2013

R53 The residents of the west side are fighting it because they don't want blacks and Mexicans to have easy access to their fancy pancy neighborhood. They prefer the traffic.

by Anonymousreply 5603/27/2013

I take it to Redondo Beach

by Anonymousreply 5703/27/2013

LMFAO at this entire thread!

by Anonymousreply 5803/27/2013

Everything that's wrong with the LA Subway

1) It doesn't go anywhere.

2) No express tracks. Every train is local. What rocket scientist thought this was a good idea?

3) It's at the center of the earth. Even when you get somewhere, it takes you 20 minutes to reach the surface.

LA USED to have the greatest transit system in the country. They should have re-built the old Red Car lines for a fraction of the cost of that stupid subway.

by Anonymousreply 5903/27/2013

R58, you do realize that you can entirely, physically fit 5 out of 6 of those cities (in square miles) inside of LA's square mile boundaries, right?

Comparing the ease-of-transportation in a city like SF (all 46 squares mile of it) to LA (469 miles) is really not a fair or realistic comparison... Of course, LA's size is partially the reason it's the hot mess that it can be. That plus the earthquakes.

IMO, if LA needs a model city to emulate for its transportation, it is better off studying say Mexico City (no joke), a city of comparable size and sprawl and smog that is situated on an earthquake fault, rather than any other American city.

by Anonymousreply 6003/27/2013

LA has a great rail system, light rail and subway/light rail. It's very inexpensive compared to other major cities especially is you're old like me. I live at the beach and I can get to any part of metro LA and even out to the boonies if I want, and rides are just a buck. I have two cars, but I often just let them sit and take the local transit. Once you know the system, you can save a ton of money and get about fairly quickly. Considering we don't have to put up with any snow or real cold, I can't imagine a better system with the exception of SF. There's is super great too, but it's more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 6103/27/2013

Getting back to basics, please:

OP, we have in the subway but not on it. We have been on trains or train cars.

by Anonymousreply 6203/27/2013

[quote]Everything that's wrong with the LA Subway - 1) It doesn't go anywhere.

I don't understand people who say this. The subway (Red Line) goes from the Valley (NoHo, Universal City), down through Hollywood, to Wilshire, through the Downtown Financial District, to the Civic Center, and finally to Union Station. From NoHo, you can take the Orange Line all the way to the West Valley. From 7th & Metro, you can take the Blue Line to the Nokia/Staples Center/Convention Center area, and all the way down to the San Pedro/Harbor area. And from Union Station, you can take the Gold Line to East Los or Pasadena, or you can take any number of MetroLink or Amtrak commuter trains to wherever your heart desires. Oh, and there's the Green Line that takes you from the Blue Line to Norwalk and to the South Bay. The only place these lines don't go is to the Westside, but that's because of all those uppity NIMBYs who lobbied hard against it and now constantly whine about all the traffic.

by Anonymousreply 6303/27/2013

R63 The Orange Line is a bus. The Blue Line goes to Long Beach, not San Pedro.

by Anonymousreply 6403/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!