Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Freedom by Jonathan Safran Foer

Did you read it? Is it really worth a read? Does it teach you anything?

by Anonymousreply 1708/01/2013

This thread is a joke, correct?

by Anonymousreply 105/31/2011

You dumbass! Jonathan Safran Foer wrote "The Illuminati: Why They Eat Animals."

You must be thinking of professional hockey player, Johan Franzen.

by Anonymousreply 205/31/2011

Hey! Don't forget me -- I'm Brooklyn too!

by Anonymousreply 305/31/2011

I've read both Eating Animals, and Freedom. Which book were you interested in reading? Both are well worth reading. I learned more from the former, was entertained by the latter. Read both.

by Anonymousreply 405/31/2011

Are you eating less meat now, R4?

by Anonymousreply 505/31/2011

Its Jonathan Franzen (not sure if you guys are joking or stupid) but its one of the best books I have ever read. He is an amazing writer. After reading it I just kept on reminding myself about the importance of having a purpose in life, mixed with balance.

by Anonymousreply 605/31/2011

r5 -- I've been a vegetarian for almost all my adult life, so, no, I'm not eating less meat. I don't eat any at all! I did learn a lot from the book, though, primarily about how unusually cruel conditions are for pigs, who, by their nature, are social animals. Most books tend to focus on cows, not pigs.

RE Freedom. Fucking beautifully written! Every sentence was poetry. For the few months after I finished it, every book I read seemed like it was written by a monkey in comparison.

Read both.

by Anonymousreply 705/31/2011

As Eudora Welty once wrote:

R6 is a fucking douchebag.

Wasn't it obvious we were joking?

by Anonymousreply 806/01/2011

can't find this book? what is the exact title? thanks for your help

by Anonymousreply 908/01/2013

Freedom is a piece of shit. Franzen is very overrated. The Corrections was his only decent book. Strong Motion was so bad that I felt embarrassed to be seen reading it on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 1008/01/2013

"Strong Motion was so bad that I felt embarrassed to be seen reading it on the subway."

What a weak humblebrag.

by Anonymousreply 1108/01/2013

As long as Oprah likes it

by Anonymousreply 1208/01/2013

From O magazine

by Anonymousreply 1308/01/2013

Freedom bored the shit out of me. I didn't give a fuck about the "characters" and their self-absorbed bien pensant milieu. Coal mining! Endangered warblers! Arms sales! Feh.

by Anonymousreply 1408/01/2013

Agree with R10, I'd give a The Corrections a try over Freedom, though it might only depress you if your parents are aging. But some passages were very beautifully written.

And I absolutely hate Safran Foer's trying-too-hard-to-be-uninque-and-quirky voice/style. The flip book of a 9/11 victim at the end of Extremely Boring and Incredibly Maudlin was the last straw for me.

by Anonymousreply 1508/01/2013

I read Freedom about two years ago, and I can't remember a thing about it today. That tells you something about it, I think!

by Anonymousreply 1608/01/2013

Foer is a pretentious drip whose wife writes his books for him.

by Anonymousreply 1708/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!