Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

College Professors and Other Sociopaths

Name careers that seem to attract people who get off on making other people miserable...

by Anonymousreply 6110/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2011

I would think lots of other professions would be more likely to appeal to sociopaths - actors, politicians, attorneys, clergy, policemen, bankers, Wall Street brokers, military - but college professors? Hmmm. Maybe so, but that surprises me.

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2011

Fortune 500 CEOs.

Republican Congressmen.

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2011

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2011

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2011

Hipster Bloggers

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2011

I guess OP just got his grade back from his class.

Sorry, OP, but maybe you should have spent more time studying and less time on Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2011

In Academia, I think you'd find more clinical sociopaths on the administrative side, rather than the professorial. Especially in the financial aid department.

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2011

[quote]...people who get off on making other people miserable...

Isn't that the definition of a sadist? Or are either sadists or sociopaths a subset of the other? And if so, which is a subset of which?

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2011

Reality Show Judges

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2011

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but sociopaths don't necessarily go out of their way to harm others, they simply just don't care.

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2011

Moving company employees%0D %0D landlords%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2011

Sociopath is just a latter version of the word psychopath - now they suffer from "antisocial personality disorder." They're all the same. No conscience.

Some are violent, mainly due to upbringing, some aren't. None of them have fully functioning consciences - some have no conscience whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2011

College business departments probably have their fair share of sociopaths. Can't think of any other depts that jump out at me for that though.

Lots of aspergers and autism spectrum people in computer science and engineering - maybe mathematics too?

by Anonymousreply 1405/25/2011

All the sciences have people on the autistism spectrum. Theatre and music have a lot of Narcissists. Journalism too - especially broadcast journalism (like Sarah Palin's major)

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2011

Every college's football team. Maybe all their athletes?

by Anonymousreply 1605/25/2011

Science and medicine.

by Anonymousreply 1705/25/2011

Animal control officers. They have a chance to engage in cruelties with it seeming part of their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 1805/25/2011

Sadly, studies show they are especially drawn to "helping" professions...

by Anonymousreply 1905/25/2011

Yeah, a lot of psychologists, psychiatrists, and counselors are either Psychopaths or Narcissists.

by Anonymousreply 2005/25/2011

Most college professors are narcissists, but I'm not sure if a lot of these are also sociopaths... I've met a few sociopathic professors, but I wouldn't say that it's an inherently sociopathic profession.

by Anonymousreply 2105/25/2011

The most "together" professors I've had were in the fine arts and the humanities. Sure, there are divas in every department, but those two were pretty solid.

The only absolute nightmare teacher I had was a chemistry teacher. She knew no one in the class was a science major and we were only taking her class as a requirement.

She was bitter, mean spirited. She never personally fucked with me, but she really went after some of the others. Especially the girls. She made one walk out the class crying and she was actually snickering. She was one twisted sister.

by Anonymousreply 2205/25/2011

...this is all just spectrum, probably emanating from extroversion at one end and moving through narcissism and all the way to psychopathy.

This entire spectrum is utterly the opposite of the introvert %E2%80%93 fearful %E2%80%93 neurotic type, but your average moron can%E2%80%99t figure that out. As a society, we think that shy introverts are %E2%80%9Cpsycho%E2%80%9D,%C2%A0 probably because we worship extroversion and despise introversion. Truth is the true, pure, classic introvert is the least harmful or dangerous person, the least likely to hurt an innocent person, on Earth.

True, they are not all wimps, and some will fight back against the abuse they are typically subjected to. But that%E2%80%99s not the same as the abusive aggression of the narcissist and sociopath that targets the innocent.

Why the introvert is generally so harmless is a fascinating subject, but I think I will leave it for another post.

I would also point out that most sociopaths are never arrested. These are the %E2%80%9Ccontrolled sociopaths%E2%80%9D swarming all over the worlds of business, law, politics, law enforcement and the military. All of these professions provide outlets for controlled sociopaths to channel their antisocial and extremely aggressive behavior into. The shyster attorney, crooked businessman, con artist, ruthless executive, lying and wheeling/dealing politician come to mind. There are many non-sociopaths in LE and the military, but it%E2%80%99s heaven for controlled sociopaths too. There is some evidence that they don%E2%80%99t do well in the military though. They love to blow stuff up and kill people, but they are so fearless and reckless that they often end up dead in wartime. Studies in World War 2 showed that though this type were excellent pilots, they were much more likely to be shot down. They were so fearless that they didn%E2%80%99t even bother to try to save their own skins.

I%E2%80%99m not trying to say that all cops are sociopaths, but anyone who%E2%80%99s had unpleasant dealings with cops (like yours truly) knows they are out there. Personality studies have shown the cops and criminals have remarkably similar personalities. It%E2%80%99s just that cops are channeling their antisocial BS in a healthy direction %E2%80%93 busting bad guys.

by Anonymousreply 2305/25/2011

OP means Sadist, not sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 2405/25/2011

More serious cases of Narcissism and Psychopathy probably don't have the self discipline to complete a Ph.D. They're disorganized, have a hard time focusing on subjects other than themselves, and they're lazy.

by Anonymousreply 2505/25/2011

The word sociopath gets thrown around entirely too often around here.

by Anonymousreply 2605/25/2011

R7, you don't sound sorry.

by Anonymousreply 2705/25/2011

Anyone with money in the restaurant business.

Meaning owners and executive chefs.

If you're really lucky, sometimes they're the same person.

by Anonymousreply 2805/25/2011

Hey Charlie -- what do you do again?

by Anonymousreply 2905/25/2011

R23 forgot HR

by Anonymousreply 3005/25/2011

Law enforcement

by Anonymousreply 3105/25/2011

I completely agree, OP. They about drove me wild, until I found a solution.

by Anonymousreply 3205/25/2011

R31 beat me to it. I was gonna say cops. Absolutely. Also, psychologists, ministers, priests, nuns.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2011

diplomat%0D %0D ceo%0D %0D surgeon%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2011

I remember quite a few elementary and high school teachers who were pointlessly cruel, but no professors.

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2011

R25 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2011

OP. What's your damage?

by Anonymousreply 3705/26/2011

Take it from a college professor for over twenty years, the professors you describe usually aren't sociopaths. They're bitter and have no control over their lives. The only true sociopaths I've met were law professors. They're a whole other breed. Maybe a random business faculty member, as noted, but rarely in liberal arts.

Thanks to the poster who gave the shout out to humanities and arts professors. We need all the love we can get 'cause there ain't nothin' else for us!!That's okay. We usually don't mind!

by Anonymousreply 3805/26/2011

by Anonymousreply 3907/18/2011

Anonymous over the top poster on DL.

by Anonymousreply 4007/18/2011

(Some) publicists.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4107/18/2011

I've found many social workers to be nasty, cruel, ugly cunts who enjoy lording their power over their victims aka clients.

by Anonymousreply 4207/18/2011

R42 has clearly had his/her children removed from their care and predictably blames the social workers for it.

by Anonymousreply 4307/18/2011

Lawyers, dentists and police.

I disagree with college professors. All my profs were pretty fucking cool.

by Anonymousreply 4407/18/2011

I think there are some small number of professors who go into it to be mean to students (maybe from being picked on as kids) but the vast majority of professors go into it because they like interacting with students and they enjoy sharing what they love in their field. Of this latter group, some small subset wants to screw around sexually with young students - that's to be expected as well, but again, is not the majority by any stretch.

Administrators and Department Heads/Chairs and Deans and Vice Presidents and Presidents and Vice Chancellors and Chancellors, on the other hand, often do display a mix of the psychological conditions listed above. Going to the administrative side is usually not motivated from love (of teaching, of students, of your field), it's often motivated by baser drives: more money, ego, power trip, status. The most insidious version of this kind of administrator is when they get good at acting like they don't want these things, but they really do - acting like no one else would be the department head so someone had to twist their arm and beg them to do it - that's the kind of administrator who is really off his or her nut. All the pretentiousness, double the schadenfreude, wrapped up in mock-self-deprecation.

by Anonymousreply 4507/18/2011

Investment bankers. Being a sociopath must be a prerequisite to succeed in that profession.

As a university professor (sciences) myself, I can attest to the fact that a number of my colleagues are slightly autistic nerds but rather harmless and certainly not sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 4607/18/2011

I agree with R25, and the poster who said animal control officers. I'd add bouncers and paramedics to the list. You'll find sociopaths in jobs where they can hurt people and get away with it, but perhaps it's even more likely you'll find them living off someone parasitically.

by Anonymousreply 4707/18/2011

Human Resources.%0D %0D Human Capital.%0D %0D Whatever the fuck these sociopaths are calling themselves these days.

by Anonymousreply 4807/18/2011

Perversely (because they are perverse perverts), sociopaths are drawn to the "helping" professions.

So what R47 said.

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2011

Dentists own this thread. Am I really supposed to believe you got this job because you have a passion for molars?

by Anonymousreply 5007/18/2011

Town clerks who think they can decide whether you should be allowed to marry or not.

by Anonymousreply 5107/18/2011

I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on introverts R23. Sounds fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 5207/19/2011

I agree with the OP as to professors, at least those at research universities. At least with lawyers, politicians, bankers, etc., the sociopathy isn't really part of the draw of the field -- most go into these fields for money, power, etc., and if they can't make the world a better place, so be it. Professors get none of that. The very allure of being a professor is that it allows you to deal with a bunch of nobodies (those poor, know-nothing students) for whom you put just enough time in to justify your salary, and otherwise see as a distraction from your research.

To me, this is the central focus of professors' sociopathy -- for me, and for most others, the very appeal of the job (teaching) is generally low on their list of priorities.

by Anonymousreply 5307/19/2011

Agreed R20 and R21. Also radio hosts...

by Anonymousreply 5410/29/2013

r14, interesting. All of my gay hookups in university were with engineering students and computer science students (and business). I was an English major and didn't have one gay encounter with another English student - they were way too repressed and weak about sex.

by Anonymousreply 5510/29/2013

OP got it all wrong. College professors, especially those at research institutions, only teach as an obligation. Their primary responsibility is to put out research. They may not care about the students, but they're definitely in it to make your life miserable.

Those who teach at small liberal arts colleges, as far as I know, actually care about students.

by Anonymousreply 5610/30/2013

I know this thread is old but the real job of a professor at a major university is NOT teaching R53, as an undergrad it seems important to you, but they have that position to do research, it's why they were hired.

by Anonymousreply 5710/30/2013

OP= that fish who tried to cry in that guys office hours and was humiliated on here a few days ago

by Anonymousreply 5810/30/2013

Right, most surgeons are sociopaths. They spend 4 shit years in med school and 6-10 shit years in residency to be able to remove your huge anal warts, your gallbladder (cause you ate too much fatty foods) and then scrape the shit out of your carotids (again, due to fatty foods and all the alcohol your greasy hands have poured down your throat). Gee, that fun work would make anyone a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 5910/30/2013

host of Watch What Happens Live

by Anonymousreply 6010/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 6110/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!