Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The male dancers on "The Carol Burnett Show"

Only guys in their forties and up will remember them, but The Ernest Flatt Dancers were the gayest things on television when I was growing up in the 70s. The men had great bodies and were fairly effeminate, and there was one with the gayest 70s beard ever, whom I was absolutely erotically obsessed with as a boy. (He seemed one of the few clearly gay but also pretty masculine figures in the kind of pop culture I had access to growing up in the heartland.) I can't even find stills of them on the Internet, much less their individual names. Does anyone remember them? I think a number of them died of AIDS in the 80s and early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 16112/02/2012

I remember the sexy, hairy dark haired one. He was soooo hot!

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2011

As someone who became a professional dancer in the 1980's, I can tell you that most of my colleagues always mentioned the Carol Burnett dancers as their inspiration for wanting to become dancers. That did not include me - having been born and raised in Puerto Rico, my Carol Burnett intake was limited to post-1976 cable TV.%0D %0D Second place - a tie between The Hulabaloo dancers (many of which became stars of their own) and ... brace for this one - The Mitzi Gaynor Special Dancers (now those were some of the biggest screaming flamers on TV). %0D %0D In honor of all those who were more masculine but gay gay gay chorus boys, here's a clip starring the one and only Miss Joey "Cocaine" Heatherton

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2011

[quote]I can't even find still of them on the Internet.%0D %0D Christ, you ARE old.

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2011

OP, I remember the bearded one, but the only one I remember by name was Don Crichton. He seemed to have the lead in most of the dance numbers and he was quite cute.

He's still working as a choreographer and director on Broadway:

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2011

Thanks, OP. I remember who you're remembering. I loved "The Carol Burnett Show." I had the biggest crush on Lyle Waggoner.%0D %0D This thread reminds me, when I was a child, of my fond fascination with the "Spanish Dancers" who performed at the, by now long defunct, "Milwaukee's Holiday Folk Fair."%0D %0D Workin' those castenets took work.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2011

R3, that number was choreographed by Michael Bennet.

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2011

Herre you go everyone. From her final episode.

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2011

Here's one of my favorite Carol Burnett parodies of old movies, "Torchy Song" based on the Joan Crawford film "Torch Song," that shows a very good look at the male Ernest Flatt Dancers working with Carol. The bearded one enters from the right almost immediately--you get some good shots of his ass in the number. btw, Carol's imitation of Joan Crawford is pretty fantastic. It's pre-"Mommie Dearest" and so it's not an imitation of Faye Dunaway doing Joan, but of Joan herself. And the running joke about The Pose is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2011

OMG Della (R7)---The Holiday Folk Fair! That brings back memories.%0D %0D That and the summer Boat Show (at the Milwaukee Auditorium) were the Super Bowl and Oscars for Milwaukeeans before Summerfest and the 1,458 separate ethnic festivals (PolishFest! Hmong-a-Palooza! Liechtensteinage Wasteland!)caught fire.

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2011

The bearded guy was Stan Mazin

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2011

Thank you, r11.%0D %0D LOVE that jumpsuit Peters is wearing. Is that Bob Mackie?%0D %0D With the right accompanying jacket, that could be worn now.

by Anonymousreply 1405/25/2011

r8, didn't know that. But come to think of it, it makes a lot of sense, since some of the moves go back to Michael Kidd. The Michael Kidd signature jump kick at 3:05 - last seen in Viva Las Vegas (alomost the same kind of music LOL) was used a lot by Bennet throughout "A Chorus Line."%0D %0D And before I get flamed, I know those moves have been around forever, it's just that those two choreographers were very fond of them.

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2011

Thank you, r13! Been trying to figure out his name for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 1605/25/2011

GAWD! R9, that was Gayer than Xmas!

by Anonymousreply 1705/25/2011

To OP & #13: An article (and photo) on Stan Mazin from last year. He's also a director:

by Anonymousreply 1805/25/2011

The guy who played Janet's dance instructor in the Three's Company ep "Some of That Jazz" reminds me of him. Skip to about 20:45 for the best part.

by Anonymousreply 1905/25/2011

What was even funnier was the takeoff on the Ernie Flatt dancers done by SCTV -- The Juul Haalmayer Dancers. They were three times as gay and slightly more untalented. And their routines were absolutely hysterical. For years I had buried in my resume, "Studied dance with Juul Haalmayer."

by Anonymousreply 2005/25/2011

I'll never forget them prancing around Ken Berry as he sang "Love Stolen" and chased girls around a tennis court pinching their butts.

R20, if I ever saw Juul on the street, I'd instantly start doing that finger pointing move. I bet people do that to him all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2105/25/2011

My gay cousin "Butch" was a production assistant on the Carol Burnett Show for its entire run. He once gave me a terrific tour of the stage, dressing rooms, workshops etc. at the CBS studio. While I loved the tour, I was amazed and intrigued by all the male staff who would greet him with a big smile and a girly "Hiiiiii Butch!" Talk about Gaye Gayerson/

When Butch died of AIDS in the 90s, many of his CBS friends attended the memorial service.

by Anonymousreply 2205/25/2011

Did Carol show up R22?

by Anonymousreply 2305/25/2011

What a great story r22. Var klempt here.

by Anonymousreply 2405/25/2011

Ernie Flatt, Don Crichton and probably several of the other dancers go all the way back to The Garry Moore Show which prominently featured Carol as a weekly regular. %0D %0D Unlike her own show, it was shot in NYC and made great use of all the Broadway talent (as did Hullabaloo) in all departments. I believe it was even shot on the night that most Broadway shows were off, enabling the dancers to continue working on Broadway and also do Garry's show.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2505/25/2011

I was shocked at how old the dancers in the Bernadette clip looked! Or was it the hideous 70s hair-dos?

by Anonymousreply 2605/25/2011

One of the main dancers showed up on an episode of Frasier entitled "Taps at the Montana".

His sequence starts around 3:20...

by Anonymousreply 2705/25/2011

Stan Mazin doesn't look much like he did in the 70s, but he was impossibly hot then (at least in the eyes of the 12 year old I was in 1978) and he's still a hot daddy now.

by Anonymousreply 2805/25/2011

Funny how we all watched those fellas but no one ever really derided them. Maybe because they were backing up a hot babe, and men considered them "neuter" and not competitors. And maybe like Interior Designer and Hairdresser, it was considered an 'okay' profession for "those types" (I mean, you gotta work somewhere). Just don't try to be a construction worker or anything...

by Anonymousreply 2905/25/2011

Never mind the dancer in the clip.....wasn't that the fabulous Mimi (Funny Girl) Hines as the lady in the hallway?

by Anonymousreply 3005/25/2011

The one who plays the tapdancing doctor on "Frasier" at r27 is the same one who screws up Carol's "pose" in the "Torch Song" parody at r10.

btw, they also did a parody of The Ernie Flatt Dancers once on The Simpsons... of course, it was The Wayland Smithers Dancers...

by Anonymousreply 3105/25/2011

Wow, Bernadette Peters was gorgeous in that clip (and a great dancer)!%0D %0D Also, I'm hoping flared pants come back in the worst way.

by Anonymousreply 3205/25/2011

with Sally Struthers

by Anonymousreply 3305/25/2011

Who knew Sally Struthers had such a decent singing voice?

by Anonymousreply 3405/25/2011

But they were horrible as actors . The way they mugged behind the principals during sketches was as tiresome as Tim Conway.

by Anonymousreply 3505/25/2011

[quote]What was even funnier was the takeoff on the Ernie Flatt dancers done by SCTV -- The Juul Haalmayer Dancers. %0D %0D Lola Heatherton's Love Spirit Christmas Special featuring The Juul Haalmeyer Dancers!

by Anonymousreply 3605/25/2011

No, that is not Mimi Hines, she's way too thin to be Mimi Hines.

by Anonymousreply 3705/25/2011

This thread is one of the best I've read on DL in a long time. No snarkiness - just wit and memories. Bump!

by Anonymousreply 3805/25/2011

That "Torchy Song" clip was wonderful. Only Carol Burnett could take a craptastic, campy movie and make it even campier.

Love, love, loved The Juul Haalmayer Dancers. The first time I saw them I about pissed myself. Juul himself was always my favorite to watch. Did anybody ever catch on when reading your resume R20?

by Anonymousreply 3905/25/2011

my crush was the one who plays the director in the torchy lady skit. a bit of salt and pepper hair. loved him.

by Anonymousreply 4005/26/2011

Gay dancers? You want gay dancers? %0D %0D Here is all of that and Chita Rivera, too. "Pretty For Me" from the Hollywood Palace.

by Anonymousreply 4105/26/2011

r5 Don Crichton... I remember him... He was the one I always noticed... Love this thread... Great memories of the Carol Burnett Show...

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2011

This thread is fabulous. I just watched BOTH parts of Torchy Lady and then watched Crawford in the trailer for Torch Song. Carol did a dead-on impersonation of Joan, right down to THE POSE.%0D %0D Thanks for the memories and the YouTube links!

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2011

According to one of her biographies, Crawford was amused by Burnett's MILDRED FIERCE parody but she was genuinely hurt by the meaner tone of the TORCH SONG takeoff. Joan took it personally to se them burlesque the "new" Crawford image of the Technicolor 50s. %0D %0D She was lucky they made no reference to the "Two Faced Woman" number she performed in "tropical" blackface!

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2011

All I can remember thinking as a small child, "they have wonderful pants!"

by Anonymousreply 4505/26/2011

OP, thank you so much for this thread. This is an awesome thread, and I wish there are more like this thread on DL. Everyone is posting a lot of terrific stuff! There is noting on this thread that isn%E2%80%99t fun or interesting. %0D %0D %0D Really R44? I have heard Carol Burnett talking about that skit, and Joan Crawford called Carol laughing on the phone. Joan said, hey Carol, you do a better impersonation of me than I do myself. %0D %0D The dancers in the Bernadette Peters link screams major dancing queens! Wow!%0D %0D %0D Why didn't Sally Struthers work on Broadway? I think her singing was Broadway level. She claimed after working on All in The Family that she couldn't get any work and she really struggled. She said she was broke a lot for many years there after. %0D %0D Chita Rivera is just incredible in person. I saw her in Can Can in person. She was in her 60's at the time, and she had some sort of injury. However, she put every ounce of herself into her dancing and she was truly a bolt of lightning! However, sorry R41 but that wasn't her best dance skit at all. However, the male dancer on the right of her with the gold chains I vaguely remember seeing him on TV when I was a little kid. He was a real hottie! Very handsome face!%0D %0D %0D I adore Carol Burnett. When I was a little guy I remember her show. The Carol Burnett Show always brings back terrific memories for me. If anyone gets a chance to read her most recent book, please do because she comes off very real and down to earth. She is really funny in that book. Also, she is in the process of writing another book. %0D %0D %0D BTW, I have always been so attracted to Lyle Wagner. That man was hot! Carol Burnett said he is a happily married man, but I thought I have heard he was gay? Any info on that?%0D

by Anonymousreply 4605/26/2011

OMG! Who the hell wrote that song Pretty For Me? It must be the gayest moment on 70s TV (for the costumes alone!). Was it viewed as such back then?

by Anonymousreply 4705/26/2011

R9, I fucking love that clip with the disco Stravinsky!

by Anonymousreply 4805/26/2011

The male dancers don't get much Gayer than on this Bobbie Gentry clip. The one white queen in the foreground just looks pleased as PUNCH!!%0D %0D [italic] "Gonna get you on the scooby doo!" [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 4905/26/2011

Spanish flamers from the Ballet Zoom de Espa%C3%B1a back the one and only Iris Chacon.%0D %0D Gayer than 'un arbol lleno cotorras.'

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2011

Espaa >> Espana (Spain)

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2011

Another gay moment in male dancer history.%0D %0D I mentioned this in the VLV thread but it's worth repeating here. %0D %0D At 0:14, the third chorus boy from the left changes from this fairly handsome, dark-haired cutie with decent rhythm to this blond flamer with flailing arms, hips run amock. Lighter hair, pants, and loafers.%0D %0D And don't get me started on the one with the blue tank top. Ann Margret is more masculine than he is. I think that's why the director may have decided to splash some sweat on him - to "butch him up" a bit.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5205/26/2011

I am so sorry I read R44's post. Now I'm going to have that g*damned song "Two Faced Woman" in my head all day. It is the catchiest friggin' song.

I sing my own version though. Changing the words to "Two Faced Homo" and I do it in a light lavenderface.

by Anonymousreply 5305/26/2011

Now I'm going to be prancing around all day singing "Pretty For Me" and tearing my clothes off. Thanks R41, I adore you for posting that!

by Anonymousreply 5405/26/2011

I find it a bit hard to believe that Joan Crawford truly was hurt by Carol's send ups, including Torchy Song. Carol adored all the old movie stars and ALL of her movie parodies (and the show did so many!) were, ultimately, tributes to the old stars. The dialogue was not really "mean spirited," but rather poking gentle fun. Carol Burnett was much beloved BY "old Hollywood" because she revered it so much. Every chance she got (and STILL!), she said that the old movies were what made her go into show biz. She would go with her granny, who raised her, to see those movies when Carol was a girl.

And, yes, I do think the gay dancers did get a "free pass" back then because the country somehow, some way, appreciated and understood what they were doing "back there" supporting the leading lady singer. They were "necessary" background with the occasional recognizable face. And they were very talented dancers, too. Talent trumps homophobia in the entertainment industry. I am sure that if you asked many people back then about the dancers, they would have said "Oh yeah, they're all fruits" or some such kind of comment BUT there was a kind of "It's not an issue" element, too. Gays didn't have a visible presence, too much, in mainstream media or culture and people just watched those happy boys dance but did not know much about what they were really up to once the cameras were turned off. Gay was still a relatively back alley hidden culture then, except for the smiling, dancing chorus boys in movies and TV or the Rip Taylor or Paul Lynde gay clown minstrels. I think everyone just thought that the chorus boys were homosexuals BUT...that was as far as it went. Out of sight out of mind.

by Anonymousreply 5505/26/2011

OMG R49. I love that clip. Hot fit lads with hairy chests. I bet they wouldn't even think about doing that on network television nowadays.%0D %0D And now I know where I got my inspiration for wearing my shirt tied across my chest, a look that my mother was not particularly fond of.

by Anonymousreply 5605/26/2011

R9, that is gayer than gay

by Anonymousreply 5705/26/2011

gayer and gayer yet

by Anonymousreply 5805/26/2011

More Juul Haalmeyer Dancers with Solid Gold dancer Marci Odette on The Dusty Towne Sexy Holiday Special!

by Anonymousreply 5905/26/2011

[quote]I find it a bit hard to believe that Joan Crawford truly was hurt by Carol's send ups, including Torchy Song. %0D %0D If I recall correctly, Crawford thought "Torchy Song" was a cruel joke at her expense. TORCH SONG itself was a painful memory to her. It was her first film back at MGM after her departure in the late 30s ("Tina, get me the axe!") She worked her ass off trying to make a comeback in it but the movie was a flop. %0D %0D Crawford was an expert at creating her own reality and banishing anyone who wasn't willing to dwell in it. She must have hated the running joke about The Pose, based as it was on the inescapable truth that she couldn't really dance. As a self-deluded poser it must have hurt to be called out on national television.

by Anonymousreply 6005/26/2011

Wow. Catherine O'Hara is frighteningly great in that "Love Spirit" Christmas special. Damn, thanks for posting that.

by Anonymousreply 6105/26/2011

Don't know how to post videos or links to You Tube (yet), but if you look at the "Got a Lot of Livin' To Do" dance number at the Malt Shop from Bye Bye Birdie, you'll see Ann Margaret dancing with some of the nelliest queens ever to put on a pair of tap shoes!

Check out the dyed blond in the tight pants and powder blue bowling shoes she does a number with in that scene. They must have put weights in his shoes to keep him from floating away!

by Anonymousreply 6205/26/2011

I too LOVED the CBS and all her dancers on their. Thanks guys for the links, those were fun to watch!!

by Anonymousreply 6305/26/2011

r62:%0D %0D Go to the page where the clip you desire to share with us is located%0D %0D Copy the url address, that's the long line (can't quote it because DL will reject post) usually located on the uppermost cell left corner. (To copy, right click and then click on "Copy").%0D %0D When posting your reply, paste said address on the cell below your message cell, appropriately labeled "Url"%0D %0D Viola! (Wills!)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6405/26/2011

Jesus... this thread makes me feel old.

What the hell happened to the variety show?

How are young dancers and hopeful, juicy young queers ever to be educated if they are trapped living in the flyover states?

by Anonymousreply 6505/26/2011

Viola!

by Anonymousreply 6605/26/2011

[quote]I just watched BOTH parts of Torchy Lady and then watched Crawford in the trailer for Torch Song. Carol did a dead-on impersonation of Joan, right down to THE POSE.

I still refuse to believe Crawford hated it and won't believe otherwise until I see a link backing this up.

The brilliance of the Carol Burnett parody isn't just that Carol can do a dead-on Joan; it's that whoever wrote it clued in on the fact that in the original film Crawford kept showing off her legs in the film (she had great legs even if she wasn't a dancer) and tied that in with the little bit about the back-up dancer being fired for stumbling over her pose. So the whole parody really becomes a love story between the Crawford character and The Pose.

I also love how gloriously masochistic Carol gets during the "Goodbye Broadway, Hello Life" number when Harvey Korman keeps piling on the humiliations she'll have to endure as his wife. That also is so in line with Crawford's late 40s and early 50s non-tragedic films, where she had to be shown that a man is supposed to wear the pants in a relationship (according to the post WW II American ideology).

by Anonymousreply 6705/26/2011

Viola! Part Deux

by Anonymousreply 6805/26/2011

So can anyone explain the appeal or spotlight any real talent possessed by Joey Heatherton?

Why was she hoisted on the American public?

by Anonymousreply 6905/26/2011

[quote]she had great legs even if she wasn't a dancer%0D %0D Oh but she was! And not just some chorinne, but a featured dancer in very early MGM musicals.%0D %0D Just not any longer. The legs always stay, though - ask Lucy, Cyd, Juliet, Leslie, Gwen, Chita, Mitzi, Shirley, Joey, Lola, Bebe, Ann M., Anne M., Ann R., and even Lesley Anne.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7005/26/2011

LOL! But even on her early days as a dancer, "the pose" was there. I googled Joan Crawford dancing and no kidding, about five different first-page pics had the infamous leg out.

by Anonymousreply 7105/26/2011

That must be why Carol Burnett also had such great legs too--all the dnacing she did in her youth for shows like "Once Upon a Matress" and "Fade Out - Fade In."

by Anonymousreply 7205/26/2011

OMG r69. Of all known female Hollywood dancers throughout history, very few could kick as high - on both legs - as rubber-legged, Balanchine trained, sex kitten Joey Heatherton.%0D %0D She was a child actress who made it past the cut-off mark and exploded with sexuality (usually directed at much older men) by age 18 (she was 19 in the clip above). %0D %0D Plus she could sing better than the average pop star (also classically trained though not used that way) and her acting skills were strong enough for her to be the first and foremost choice for the lead role in Lolita, which her Dad - a Radio star himself - promptly turned down.%0D %0D In their heyday, Anne Margret was the sex kitten with an adult mind, but Joey remained childlike and alluring (something to do with the pouty lips, uncombed boyish hair, and half-open thumb-sucking mouth). %0D %0D How could anyone have been surprised when her husband, an NFL wide receiver, was caught exposing himself to an 11-yr-old girl? There were roles being played early on, and Joey fulfilled one of them - appealing to millions of older men's fantasies - formidably.%0D %0D Just ask Johnny Carson, or better yet, the guy at the end of this clip --- which coincidentally features scarf-wearing Gay McGay Dancers

by Anonymousreply 7305/26/2011

Zak, it was mostly a sex appeal thing with Joey Heatherton--she was an It Girl of the early 60s, and even was pursued to play the title role in "Lolita" but turned it down (on her father's advice) before it went to Sue Lyon.

She also could dance very well and was a decent singer.

And if you doubt her sex appeal:

by Anonymousreply 7405/26/2011

Joey really could sing as well as dance, as this clip shows (yes, that's Zero Mostel leering at her):

by Anonymousreply 7505/26/2011

Sory Miss Margret, I've been misspelling your first name in a couple of posts.

by Anonymousreply 7605/26/2011

Joan won MANY dance comptitions in the 20s. True, they were for Charleston and black bottom style dancing, but she most certainly could move, just to a different style. She was in Dancing Lady opposite Fred Astaire! Perhaps by Torch Song, she was out of shape/practice or wasn't up for that type of choreography. Or, more likely, she was so bent on keeping her face taut and immobile in that masklike visage she had perfected, that she couldn't cut loose and give it her full attention.

by Anonymousreply 7705/26/2011

Doing the Charleston isn't really dancing, R77. You can see Crawford jazz dancing in some silents and a few early talkies (including one where she dances opposite Fred Astaire.) Her energy and enthusiasm notwithstanding, she's a flat-footed clod-hopper. She makes Ruby Keeler look like Eleanor Powell.

by Anonymousreply 7805/26/2011

"How could anyone have been surprised when her husband, an NFL wide receiver, was caught exposing himself to an 11-yr-old girl?"%0D %0D I bet the 11-year-old girl was.

by Anonymousreply 7905/26/2011

Joey Heatherton's over-exposed hubby was Lance "Keep It In Your Pants" Rentzel.

by Anonymousreply 8005/26/2011

Joey was a good dancer and singer, a very talented woman.

Can you imagine of Joan Crawford had access to botox?

by Anonymousreply 8105/26/2011

I used to see Joey at the YMCA on the Upper West and mid-East. She looked a fright. She had a couple of albums, never thought she was much of a singer. One album she was nude on the cover. She's funny in "Where Love Has Gone".

by Anonymousreply 8205/26/2011

For sure heavy-footedness and arm flailing, do check out Joan doing the Charleston in The Holywood Revue of 1929, seen in a perfect clip in That's Entertainment Part I. %0D %0D And in 1933's Dancing Lady, MGM's answer to Warners' 42nd Street. In the later the young Clark Gable, billed below Joan, is at his youngest and hottest especially in the gymnsaium scene in his tank top and footie shorts. The film is actually a lot of fun and shot with a nod to the currently popular German Expressionism.

by Anonymousreply 8305/26/2011

How did a thread on the Ernie Flatt Dancers somehow become a thread on Joey Heatherton?

by Anonymousreply 8405/26/2011

[quote]Can you imagine of Joan Crawford had access to botox?

Those eyebrows would have been frozen in place.

by Anonymousreply 8505/26/2011

R 64, I cant thank you enough for explaining how to post a link. I have been trying for ages, pasting in the message box. I've wanted to ask, but, you know, its the DL. Thanks for taking the time.

by Anonymousreply 8605/26/2011

[quote]How did a thread on the Ernie Flatt Dancers somehow become a thread on Joey Heatherton?%0D %0D Kind of like the way our discussion about sculptors of the Italian Renaissance descended into a thread on necrophiliacs who are into fisting.

by Anonymousreply 8705/26/2011

[quote]our discussion about sculptors of the Italian Renaissance descended into a thread on necrophiliacs who are into fisting.%0D %0D I missed that one. Several years ago, people replying to a thread could change the subject line. We also had a "preview" button to catch spelling errors.

by Anonymousreply 8805/26/2011

r12, growing up in Mliwaukee 60's and 70's was great.%0D %0D There still were good, low skilled, high paying jobs. Mom and Dad provided a good life to thier children.

by Anonymousreply 8905/26/2011

Myth has it that Joey Heatherton was an early pioneer of brazilian waxes.

by Anonymousreply 9005/27/2011

Joey Heatherton and Linda Ronstadt were an item back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 9105/27/2011

[quote]The way they mugged behind the principals during sketches was as tiresome as Tim Conway.

"Peas and carrots, peas and carrots, peas and carrots..."

by Anonymousreply 9205/27/2011

[quote]Sory Miss Margret, I've been misspelling your first name in a couple of posts.

Not to be a jerk but you've still got it wrong. Her first name is Ann-Margret, not "Ann". She goes by this single name. Her full name is Ann-Margret Olsson Smith.

by Anonymousreply 9305/27/2011

Here's a much better high quality clip of Lola Heatherton The Love Spirit

by Anonymousreply 9405/27/2011

[quote]Not to be a jerk but you've still got it wrong. Her first name is Ann-Margret, not "Ann". %0D %0D And not to be a cunt but when addressed ass Miss _____, she would professionally go as Miss Margret. I know she has a compound first and middle name (as a matter of fact I once started a thread "What do Ann Margret, Shirley MacLaine, and Angelina Jolie have in common?" which took a lot of posts for people to figure it out). But if we get nit picky (which you started) Ann is her first name and Margret her middle name. Her PROFESSIONAL name is Ann Margret. When actresses make the choice of having a professional name consisting of a first and a middle name, that middle name becomes a LAST name when it's time to call them Miss Whatever. Those who choose to go professionally only by one name (Madonna, Cher) forsake the Miss treatment altogether because they'd rather be the legend that is the one-name brand. You have your trivia down right but need a brush-up on showbiz ways.%0D %0D [quote]R 64, I cant thank you enough for explaining how to post a link.%0D %0D My pleasure, sweetheart. Now here's a tip on referencing previous posters. Just write the letter r (you don't even have to capitalize it) IMMEDIATELY followed by the number of the post and the system will automatically convert it to a clickable reference (as opposed to R 64 with the space in between, which does not allow the new reader to click on it to find out what the poster said). %0D %0D Viola! (Concerto!)

by Anonymousreply 9505/27/2011

So wait, we're supposed to refer to Vera-Ellen as Miss Ellen? Somehow I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 9605/27/2011

Yes, r96!

by Anonymousreply 9705/27/2011

Gowns by IRENE

by Anonymousreply 9805/27/2011

I think I'm going to have to add "pleased as PUNCH" to my lexicon of synonyms for the gay, r49.

by Anonymousreply 9905/28/2011

My fans always forgo my middle name - Laqueesha.

by Anonymousreply 10005/28/2011

The old Greydon Carter era SPY magazine used to pick on Joey Heatherton (this was long after the peak of her fame) in almost every issue. They liked to refer to her as "actress-singer-dancer-tigress-survivor Joey Heatherton," or some such.

by Anonymousreply 10105/28/2011

GOD, I miss the old SPY magazines!! I still have the issue w/ a Pat Buckley cut-out Halloween mask!! Damn, those were the days!!

by Anonymousreply 10205/28/2011

[quote]GOD, I miss the old SPY magazines!! I still have the issue w/ a Pat Buckley cut-out Halloween mask!! Damn, those were the days!!%0D %0D %0D A lot of them are available on Google books. See link below.

by Anonymousreply 10305/28/2011

r95, nothing you posted makes any sense because it is factually incorrect. Are you on crystal?%0D %0D You left out the hyphen in Ann-Margret's name, the little hyphen that destroys your entire tirade.

by Anonymousreply 10405/28/2011

I love the way this thread is traveling through a barage of topics.

by Anonymousreply 10505/28/2011

[quote] Also Known As: Ann Margret, Miss Ann Margret, Ann Margaret, Ann-Margret Olsson%0D %0D ...and if you look up Angelina Jolie's and Shirley MacLaine's Wikipedia and other bios, there are countless references to them as Miss Jolie, Miss MacLaine.%0D %0D And, sadly, no, I'm not on tina.

by Anonymousreply 10605/28/2011

That is an improvement R94. I previously hadn't even realized that Martin Short was one of the dancers.

I remember wishing that it had been me that Lance Rentzel showed the goods to. Handsome football stud.

by Anonymousreply 10705/28/2011

[quote] "traveling through a [bold]barage[/bold]...."%0D %0D Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 10805/28/2011

This thread started out so sweetly for the first two pages, and then the punctuation and correct form queens took over and shat all over it.

by Anonymousreply 10905/28/2011

Whatever happened to the Kevin Carlisle (sp?) dancers?

by Anonymousreply 11005/28/2011

And The Peter Gennaro Dancers....? What show were they featured on?

by Anonymousreply 11105/28/2011

A dancer friend of mine, with whom I've done theatre, was a dancer on Carol Burnett, Sonny & Cher, Laugh In and other shows and movies in the 70's. He started his career when he was only 16. He's in his mid fifties now. He was also a back-up dancer for Juliette Prowse and Ann Margaret, and danced in a couple of Broadway shows, including Bob Fosse's 'Dancin', and was in the film 'All That Jazz'.

He told me that almost all they male dancers he worked with early in his career died in the 80s from AIDS, leaving him without any professional contemporaries at all. I think it affected him pretty profoundly.

by Anonymousreply 11205/29/2011

Didn't The Dean Martin Show have the Golddiggers?...

by Anonymousreply 11305/29/2011

I have fond memories of the June Taylor Dancers and their intricate dance formations that were filmed from above - like a water ballet in an Esther Williams movie.

by Anonymousreply 11405/29/2011

One of the more unusual gigs in Network TV Variety was the hardy troupe of young women who danced and also swam water ballet on THE BRADY BUNCH VARIETY HOUR. One of them played Pattie Simcox, the obnoxious cheerleader in the film GREASE. %0D %0D Theirs was a long, wet and pruny ordeal humorously recounted in LOVE TO LOVE YOU BRADYS, the book about the making of the misbegotten variety hour.

by Anonymousreply 11505/29/2011

[quote]Didn't The Dean Martin Show have the Golddiggers?...

I freakin' LOVED The Goldiggers when I was a kid!

by Anonymousreply 11605/29/2011

AND The Dingalings, which were a sub-group of The Golddiggers!

by Anonymousreply 11705/29/2011

It's funny how Joey Heatherton was seen as talentless by some. %0D %0D When I first checked her out on youtube, I was struck by the fact that her singing voice was SO much better than Ann-Marget, that other '60s TV/Movie "triple threat". %0D %0D As someone upthread mentioned, Heatherton sang better than your average pop singer (e.g. Cher). I wonder why she never did Broadway. I could imagine her as Roxie Hart.

by Anonymousreply 11805/29/2011

As somebody who was around when she was at the height of her rather limited fame, I have to say that her main problem was that her image was too much the bad girl, really almost a nasty sneering vibe for the early 60s. Even Ann-Margret had a kind of scrubbed girl-next-door image, maybe springing form Bye Bye Birdie.....which Joey just never had.%0D %0D Then, by the late 60s when everything started rapidly changing and nasty girl rebels were in, Joey had become too associated with your parents' TV variety hours which made her just seem hopelessly square and trying too hard. %0D %0D It was really a matter of bad timing (well, among other things).

by Anonymousreply 11905/29/2011

That sneering quality is kind of a turn off, R119. She's definitely a better dancer than A-M and their singing is similar, but A-M just had much more screen impact, even in her early, mostly terrible films.

by Anonymousreply 12005/29/2011

Joey Heatherton did do Broadway. I think she was in the original run of THE SOUND OF MUSIC. No lie.

by Anonymousreply 12105/29/2011

I think The Peter Gennaro Dancers were on the Kraft Music Hall starring Perry Como. Eileen Rodgers replaced Perry for the summer version of Kraft Music Hall.

by Anonymousreply 12205/29/2011

Some of those clips of Joey Heatherton was very interesting. She's clearly talented but like so many, styled herself after Marilyn Monroe. a direction which was on its way out in the late '60s. She acts a lot like Connie Stevens in some of the clips, and that ain't good.%0D %0D She needed a mentor. If Bennett had tried to marry her instead of McKechnie, it might have turned out profitable for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 12305/29/2011

Joey's problem was her main mentor was her father, before she married the pedo football player.

by Anonymousreply 12405/29/2011

Fosse wanted Joey to play Honey in "Lenny", but Hoffman wanted Tuesday Weld. Valerie Perrine was a compromise.

by Anonymousreply 12505/29/2011

Has it already been stated that Joey's father was Ray Heatherton, WNEW's Merry Mailman from 1950s NY TV? It was a very popular show for kiddies when I was a kiddie.%0D %0D And Joey was not in the original cast of Sound of Music. She was a replacement Von Trapp.

by Anonymousreply 12605/29/2011

Where is Joey today? In the 90s she was in terrible shape--she had prematurely aged because of all the drug abuse and hard living, and she was in very reduced circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 12705/29/2011

I remember reading that Joey was anorexic. Whether she kicked it, I have no idea. She looked horrid in Cry Baby as one of the gang members' mother.%0D %0D I recall even Madonna making a Joey Heatherton joke in TRUTH OR DARE when she was taking a few pills in her Paris hotel. Something about not wanting to turn into Joey Heatherton.

by Anonymousreply 12805/29/2011

Anyone else remember Joey Heatherock? I loved her in the 80s and just about 4 years ago found out she was Wendy Wild.

by Anonymousreply 12905/29/2011

[quote]Anyone else remember Joey Heatherock?

She was no Ann-Margrock.

by Anonymousreply 13005/29/2011

Joey Heatherton is exactly what Madonna is turning into.

by Anonymousreply 13105/29/2011

Joey Heatherock was kind of like what Justin Bond does now. Except Wendy Wild could sing. But she would get blotto during the set, so that she would begin dancing and end up laying on the ground crying. Really funny and savvy send up of 60s show biz.

by Anonymousreply 13205/29/2011

R78-79, Joey Heatherton's football player husband was a pedophile?

by Anonymousreply 13305/30/2011

Her husband, Lance Rentzel, was arrested for exposing himself to a 10 year old girl, and apparently this was something he more or less did on a regular basis. Only this time he got caught. He later wrote a book about it.

I remember when this happened. He and Joey were an absolutely gorgeous couple, and she initially did the "stand by her man" thing, until it became apparent that he was indeed guilty and had major problems. Then she divorced him.

by Anonymousreply 13405/30/2011

[quote]Lance Rentzel, was arrested for exposing himself to a 10 year old girl... He later wrote a book about it.%0D %0D "Southern Exposure" was a huge seller in certain communities.%0D

by Anonymousreply 13505/30/2011

Thread officially hijacked...and I don't mind it one bit because, really, how many posts can we have about The Carol Burnett Dancers? (and I'm a dancer from a bit after that era myself!)

by Anonymousreply 13605/30/2011

Forgot about this song salute-

by Anonymousreply 13705/30/2011

It doesn't get any more 60's-it-girl than this

by Anonymousreply 13805/30/2011

Miss Heatherton always looked as if her BenWa walls were working their way out of her vajayjay.

by Anonymousreply 13905/30/2011

I remember long ago hearing rumors concerning Joey's appearance on Hullabaloo. The lead dancer on the show Lada Edmund Jr had nasty things to say about her though I was too young to get her innuendos.

by Anonymousreply 14005/30/2011

R138 she looks and acts stoned in that youtube video. %0D %0D Is there any biography on her?

by Anonymousreply 14105/30/2011

Off topic, but "Your Hit Parade" had a number of hot male dancers. One of them was named Lenny Clarret (sp.?). Great ass and hairy chest.

by Anonymousreply 14205/31/2011

One of the female dancers from Carol's show went on to take part in this classic piece of work with Christopher Walken:

by Anonymousreply 14305/31/2011

I've been fascinated by Joey Heatherton since SCTV and also reading about her in an early 80s John Waters article on celebrity (also in the book Crackpot). He recounted a couple of arrests of hers from the late 70s; one involved stabbing her drummer with a butter knife and the other had Joey attacking a ticketing agent after, as John Waters speculates, the young whippersnapper had the audacity to say, 'Joey who?' in response to her, 'Don't you know who I am, I'm Joey Heatherton!' %0D %0D So ever since then I've wanted to know more about her.

by Anonymousreply 14405/31/2011

I found the court appearance! It was a passport agent. Cindy Adams, what a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 14506/01/2011

R145, sorry but that cracked me up! LOL! That was super hilarious how Joey reenacted the confrontation in court, LOL. Is Cindy Adams dead? I thought something happened to her?%0D %0D %0D By way, OP's topic is on the male dancers on the Carol Burnett Show. However, is Lyle Wagner gay? Carol Burnett said he is a happily married man. I thought I have heard he was gay or bi? That guy was a major hot stud!%0D

by Anonymousreply 14606/02/2011

bump a fun thread.

by Anonymousreply 14712/04/2011

Lyle Wagner may have been married but I've never seen evidence to indicate that he's totally straight. You'll have to prove it to me.

by Anonymousreply 14812/04/2011

Is it just me or did those dancers always seem a bit on the older side? I'm not sure what their relative ages were. But compare them to the chorus dancers today on "Dancing With the Stars" or the kids that audition for "So You Think You Can Dance". Even back then, the bearded dancer and Don Crichton had salt-and-pepper hair! Is it just that today's dancers are starting at a younger age?

by Anonymousreply 14912/01/2012

They want 'em young today, hon, and it's kinda depressing. But I think Ernie Flatt's group were pretty much the same for the whole run of the Burnett show so they were of course much younger when they started. Show ran over 10 years, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 15012/01/2012

Stan Mazin was not the bearded dancer. He is the dark haired dancer standing to Bernadette's right at 2:22 in the YouTube video.

by Anonymousreply 15112/01/2012

in case it hasn't been posted already... Beach Blanket Boo Boo the Carol Burnett Dancers go topless!

by Anonymousreply 15212/01/2012

R152 Even before I saw your post I was going to comment about how seeing the black Flatt dancer was probably one of my first inklings that I preferred darker men. But your post more than explained why! Check out his bulge!

Also, loved the white lipstick on Vicki Lawrence.

Did anyone see that PBS special on Mitzi Gaynor? They included interviews with two of her long-time dancers.

by Anonymousreply 15312/02/2012

[quote]Did anyone see that PBS special on Mitzi Gaynor? They included interviews with two of her long-time dancers.

Damn, I missed that. I went out with one of her dancers back in the mid-90s. Her dancers were scorching hot.

by Anonymousreply 15412/02/2012

Thanks for reviving one of my all-time favorite Datalounge threads!

I had forgotten what a great dancer and singer Vicki Lawrence could be.

by Anonymousreply 15512/02/2012

The Ernie Flatt Dancers are really awful. I mean, they're ok I guess, but the choreography is embarrassing! It's barely a step up from decent community theater!

by Anonymousreply 15612/02/2012

Posting "Torchy Song" again since that last post was deleted. Here is part 1-

by Anonymousreply 15712/02/2012

Part 2-

by Anonymousreply 15812/02/2012

[quote]So can anyone explain the appeal or spotlight any real talent possessed by Joey Heatherton?

She was a decent singer and quite a good dancer in that clip shown.

by Anonymousreply 15912/02/2012

r13

He was chester on Mr Belvedere

by Anonymousreply 16012/02/2012

R157 Harvey looks like Steve Allen in those clips.

I wonder if anyone ever thought about casting (or actually did cast) Sally Struthers in "Annie Get Your Gun." Based on that clip, she might've been really good.

by Anonymousreply 16112/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.