Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does anybody work in marketing?

I'm curious about this field.%0D %0D What kind of people usually work in marketing? It seems like there would be a lot of phoney bullshit artists.%0D %0D Has anyone ever worked in motion picture marketing?

by Anonymousreply 2111/14/2012

No, nobody works in marketing. They make wild guesses and go for cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2011

Have had extensive experience in marketing for a non-profit dealing with breast cancer. Yeah, marketing. For breast cancer. Most of the people involved are megalomaniacs, including the founder of the organization, who can't go anywhere without a hair and make-up squad at her side. Chock full of adrenaline junkies and egomaniacs who will do ANYTHING to bring in the bucks. Really nauseating, exhausting and horrible field. Unrelenting. Your time is not your own. Be prepared to have to drop everything in your personal life at any time in order to 'push' some cockamaimy product or idea or be at some stupid, waste-of-time attention-getter event. Travel at the drop of a hat. Never-ending, stupid meetings. Had to get out or lose my mind. Maybe it's different in other places. And it probably depends largely on your age, energy level and what you are marketing.

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2011

What is the difference between sales and marketing?

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2011

Cancer is a BIG money-maker! All "charities" are. The more you work in marketing, the more you'll start to realize the entire world is smoke & mirrors and that the human race is disgusting. Profit over people.

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2011

3 of the most common marketing types (not assistants but VP level - Marketing assistants rarely get promoted up)

1. Masters of Contacts - often through family. Many ivy league, rich kids get into marketing using Dads and other family contacts.

2. Masters of the Facade. People who have learned to make great first impressions. Reality almost always hits and shortens their careers (at the end of the day you still have to deliver for the Corporation), but you will meet a lot of them in Marketing.

3. Masters of Manipulation. These types often came from very successful sales backgrounds. You will also find Sociology and Psychology types here. If you got your PhD in Sociology and don't want to teach, this is your other career option.

(If you are doing trade shows or generating sales materials, you are an assistant, regardless of what your business card says)

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2011

To answer R3. Sales is tactical. Marketing is Strategic.

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2011

Please, no more marketers! We're running out of places to put them!

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2011

for R3: Marketing does all the work , Sales gets the commission.

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2011

R8, truer words were never spoke!

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2011

Con Artists are another word for people that work in marketing.

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2011

[quote]Has anyone ever worked in motion picture marketing?

No one under the age of 90, considering the term "motion picture" hasn't been commonly used in the industry for at least 50 years now.

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2011

I work in Marketing. It's frustrating most of the time and requires a good amount of overtime work.

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2011

I'm transitioning into events marketing having worked in journalism/media for the past 10 plus years. It's definitely sales without the commissions.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2011

R3, "Masters of Facade" describes two of my bosses correctly.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

I read Marketing is Sales, but with a College Degree.

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

Marketing is filled with the daughters and sons of old money families, milking their parents elite contacts for the benefit of the Corporation.

by Anonymousreply 1611/14/2012

I work in marketing for a major arts organization. The people I work with are insane - and CHEAP. But you have to be in order to succeed. I'll tell you what, you learn how to cast of inhibitions while asking for free stuff pretty easily. At some point you even start demanding it. And if you're good enough, you'll get what you want. The way to survive it to get the most for the least.

by Anonymousreply 1711/14/2012

Since outsourcing began, most major companies are well on their way to consisting only of exec boards and marketing departments...

by Anonymousreply 1811/14/2012

Most of the people on this thread are very confused about what marketing really is, including those who have indicated that they work in marketing.

I do agree that it is a profession where empty suits can advance very quickly and to heights they might not otherwise see, usually on the basis of some superficial, and ultimately meaningless, skill. The ability to present without actually saying anything being the common example.

by Anonymousreply 1911/14/2012

So, r19 -- tell us what marketing is.

We'll wait for your freshly washed pee-pee to dry.

by Anonymousreply 2011/14/2012

Some classic words on the subject from c. 25 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2111/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.