Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Flush your acting career down the toilet!

Which actors did a terrific job of destroying their careers?

by Anonymousreply 20801/24/2012

James Dean

by Anonymousreply 105/23/2011

Arnold just killed his come back.

by Anonymousreply 205/23/2011

Cher's infomercial...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305/23/2011

Oooh, goody! This is going to be a very long thread.%0D %0D I'll start with someone less well-known: Michael Biehn, a very hot young aspiring leading-man type in the 1990s. He apparently torpedoed a potential Brad Pitt career by being a nasty, violent drunk. %0D %0D Sean Young -- too crazy even for Hollywood, and that's saying something something. Maybe she should have tried being a supermodel... it worked for Naomi Campbell.

by Anonymousreply 405/23/2011

Alex Pettyfer and his "Thank You" tattoo.

Wes Bentley after American Beauty.

Will Forte doing MacGruber.

Tom Cruise getting rid of Pat Kingsley

Mel Sugartits Gibson and his recorded phone rants.

Chris O'Donnell choosing family over career (or was he just no longer in demand?)

Gabourey Sidibe dissing the big O

by Anonymousreply 505/23/2011

[quote] Gabourey Sidibe dissing the big O

I missed that! What did she say?

by Anonymousreply 605/23/2011

She said orgasms weren't for her.

by Anonymousreply 705/23/2011

I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 805/23/2011

I don't know either, Debra.

by Anonymousreply 905/23/2011

There's a recent thread on this with some very good responses on this. Nobody will ever be able to find it tho

by Anonymousreply 1005/23/2011

Rupert Everett

by Anonymousreply 1105/23/2011

lohan. duh.

by Anonymousreply 1205/23/2011

Would Victoria Jackson count?

by Anonymousreply 1305/23/2011

I'm always fascinated by TV actors who attempt an immediate jump to major movies, like a cat trying to jump onto a high shelf. In both cases, there's a lot of flailing and scrabbling of claws, and they end up in a heap on the floor anyway.

Ken Wahl is a prime example of this, as is Shelley Long (although she at least had the Brady movies). Both of them ended up mental messes. David Caruso should have been a prime example as well, but I'm not sure why the universe gave him a second chance.

by Anonymousreply 1405/23/2011

You would think box office would have something to do with this, yet they keep casting Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 1505/23/2011

Arnold is destroying his career as we speak.%0D %0D Kim Basinger also thought she was Meryl Streep and picked inappropriate follow-up roles after L.A.Confidential but her behavior with Alec Baldwin - leaking those tapes and sacrificing her own daughter's name for vengeance ruined her career.

by Anonymousreply 1605/23/2011

Michael Richards.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 1705/23/2011

Would Jan Michael Vincent be a nominee?

by Anonymousreply 1805/23/2011

[quote]but her behavior with Alec Baldwin - leaking those tapes and sacrificing her own daughter's name for vengeance ruined her career.

I agree her behaviour was appalling and cruel to her daughter; however, I don't believe for one minute that if Alec had done the same thing it would have affected his career one bit! Tina Fey still would have hired him.

by Anonymousreply 1905/23/2011

[quote]You would think box office would have something to do with this, yet they keep casting Jennifer Aniston.%0D %0D Some of her movies do make money. Her track record is really not so different than a lot of A listers. Most have at least a few flops behind them.%0D %0D Of course her movies are usually horrible, but they aren't commercial disasters, which is why she's still hired.%0D %0D This thread is incomplete without Lindsay Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 2005/23/2011

Kim Basinger also reached that age where, just as her skin, roles start to dry up.

by Anonymousreply 2105/23/2011

Treat Williams started off very promisingly and then got into cocaine. He's had somewhat of a comeback but is not nearly as big as he could have been.

Alec Baldwin chose to do "A Streetcar Named Desire" on Broadway instead of the sequel to "The Hunt For Red October." That, and his antics onset of "The Marrying Man," killed his leading man career.

by Anonymousreply 2205/23/2011

r22, please describe the antics

by Anonymousreply 2305/23/2011

R22, don't you think Baldwin has the career he wants. He does tons of stuff and seems like he's in every other movie if in a small roll. I doubt he has a ton of regrets. I love him; he's one of my favorite actors.

by Anonymousreply 2405/23/2011

It wasn't just him, R22. Basinger was difficult too. They hated the script and gave Neil Simon, who wrote it, a really hard time. They were constantly bashing the film and its makers in the press.

by Anonymousreply 2505/23/2011

That was the movie set where he and Basinger hooked up and they held up production and exasperated pretty much everyone with their demands and poor behavior.

I think Alec seems t enjoy what he's doing but I also think he aspired to an Oscar at one point. I bet he wishes he had more of a movie career.

by Anonymousreply 2605/23/2011

I'm destroying my career as I type.

by Anonymousreply 2705/23/2011

What exactly happened with Chris O'Donnell? I've heard the family story and he is a jackass.

by Anonymousreply 2805/23/2011

Tuesday Weld

Sean Young

Malcolm McDowell

Thora Birch

Patty Duke

Gary Oldman

Melanie Griffith

by Anonymousreply 2905/23/2011

r28, what is Chris O'Donnell's family story? I know he was a bunch of kids.

by Anonymousreply 3005/23/2011

Chris O'Donnell is a conservative Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 3105/23/2011

That absurd guy, I forget his name, from CSI Miami.

Wasn't he big shit in the early 90s, doing some highly lauded dramatic role on one of those TV cop shows? Then he left, making a big deal out of it, going in to movies... And he crashed like a lead balloon.

Now he's on that ridiculous show where he's become a parody and a laughing stock (but no doubt a bit richer).

Yeah, him.

by Anonymousreply 3205/23/2011

r31, how would you know that? I'm clueless about him.

by Anonymousreply 3305/23/2011

David Caruso ..... "Jade" killed his career.

by Anonymousreply 3405/23/2011

What did Malcolm McDowell do? I mean, I know about "Caligula" but he's not the only respectable actor that got suckered into that mess.

by Anonymousreply 3505/23/2011

R35,

Malcolm was involved with the most graphic scenes in that movie (e.g., fisting a bridgroom on a kitchen table. Helen Mirren just had to walk around topless.

by Anonymousreply 3605/23/2011

SPY Magazine did a terrific hatchet job on the making of "The Marrying Man", detailing Baldwin's onset nastiness and Basinger's insane demands. I don't remember the details, except that for EVERY take of a closeup she left the set and had her makeup completely redone (which took about an hour per retake), where any other actress just had her powder and lipstick touched up. Their unbridled egotism cost the filmmakers an unholy fortune, and then the film was a massive flop. Their careers both tanked overnight.%0D %0D So "LA Confidential" was actually a comeback for Basinger, a comeback which went nowhere since she was no longer young but was still a pain. And the whole flap about the phone call came well after their heydays, and after the first round of comebacks.

by Anonymousreply 3705/23/2011

When Paula Prentiss took time off to care for her children and her severely mentally ill sister, her career never bounced back at all. %0D %0D She is mentally ill in a far more different and (thankfully less severe) way than her sister was. But, still. She just bailed! %0D %0D Her sister died in prison last year. She tried to murder their father and while she was in prison for that she placed a hit on Richard Benjamin and her own nephew. So, Paula Prentiss placed a wonderful career aside to tend to her kids (which is cool) but also to try and tend to an absolute loon of a sister who would have been far better off in an institution. %0D %0D Every once in a blue moon I will see a promo for a film that Paula Prentiss could very well have done a fair job in. Like, the movie "Monster in Law" would have been wonderful for her to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3805/23/2011

"Chris O'Donnell choosing family over career"

I believe he comes from a quite rich family, so he really doesn't need to work. He chose to concentrate on family for a while because he could without working.

by Anonymousreply 3905/23/2011

Christian Slater

by Anonymousreply 4005/23/2011

I agree with r27 about Jake G. He has really made a total fool of himself over that silly photoshopped picture. Half of Hollwood has been photoshopped in some way and they just ignored it so it was never a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 4105/23/2011

Orlando Bloom, for so many reasons.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4205/23/2011

[quote]I agree with [R27] about Jake G. He has really made a total fool of himself over that silly photoshopped picture.

What picture??? link please!

by Anonymousreply 4305/23/2011

James Woods.

by Anonymousreply 4405/23/2011

Russell Crowe - being an asshole and letting himself go. Same age as Brad and George but now looks like their father. While Brad and George are working, Crowe has nothing lined up.

by Anonymousreply 4505/23/2011

Alex Pettyfer

by Anonymousreply 4605/23/2011

Born into a family with entertainment connections

Check

Attend High School of Performing Arts

Looking good

Debut in a film alongside Sean Penn and Jennifer Jason Leigh

Successful launch

Co-star in a film with Michael J. Fox when he was in his prime star power

Your only decision now is should you try for an Oscar or Emmy or Tony?

Marry Kevin Kline

Call roto rooter, that's the name and away goes your career, down the drain

by Anonymousreply 4705/23/2011

Here you go R43. It's been discussed here for several days. There are four or five threads about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4805/23/2011

Gretchen Mol notoriously whored herself out to anyone for a part, and now no-one wants to know her.%0D %0D Linda Fiorentino, batshit crazy bitch who will never work in studio movies again because of her behavior. Was replaced in the second Men in Black movie because Sonenfeld (no angel himself) refused to work with her. Kevin Smith's comments about her had to be censored from the commentary track on the "Dogma" DVD.%0D %0D Megan Fox, fired from the third Transformers movie because of comments she made about Michael Bay (all of which were doubtless true). This franchise was the only thing keeping her pathetic excuse of a film career afloat.%0D %0D Surprisingly, Shi(t)a LaBouf has yet to get his just desserts after dissing Spielberg publically and trashing that awful Indiana Jones film (and the second Transformers movie).%0D

by Anonymousreply 4905/23/2011

Thanks, r48. I missed it, somehow.

by Anonymousreply 5005/23/2011

R49, Gretchen Mol has sort of made a comeback in HBO's Boardwalk Empire. She's gotten good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 5105/23/2011

Rupert Everett with that awful Madonna movie, bitchy comments in the press, laughable plastic surgery, advising gay actors to not come out...

by Anonymousreply 5205/23/2011

I am guessing with Chris O'Donnell is was partly due to his young family, and partly due to the roles he would have gotten at one time started going to Matt Damon and to a degree Matthew Mcconaughey. He was ok with the younger supporting roles, but I am not sure Chris had enough charisma to be a leading man on the big screen once he was passed the male ingenue stage. It could be worse, his TV career has given him a bit of a revivial.

by Anonymousreply 5305/23/2011

There is another story about Megan Fox, r49.

Apparently she was fired after she came to the set, *after* all the shit-talking. She came to work looking horribly thin (even by Hollywood standards), pale and pinched from plastic surgery. Bay had told her he wanted her tanned and curvy.

Now, he is a gross pig, & the trash talk probably didn't help; however, I don't think it was the sole reason.

A couple of posters on other industry/gossip sites said there was more to the story.

by Anonymousreply 5405/23/2011

Some of the people in this thread don't fit the OP's question.

A couple of people have serious mental illnesses, and I think Phoebe Cates made a conscious decision to leave Hollywood.

Care to elaborate, r42?

by Anonymousreply 5505/23/2011

Jim Caviezel has said that The Passion of the Christ limited his career. Well, that and the fact that he's a fundie freak who refuses to take parts that go against his 'principles.

by Anonymousreply 5605/23/2011

Michael Schoeffling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5705/23/2011

Winona Ryder, of course.

by Anonymousreply 5805/23/2011

Agree with R57, though, I think he had trouble getting parts and finally gave up.%0D %0D Megan Fox - I DO NOT understand her need to get plastic surgery. Just sad.

by Anonymousreply 5905/23/2011

Why did Joe Dallesandro's career tank to the degree he's now just an apartment building supervisor? Just the classic Hollywood thing of not gaining the gigs, and slip-sliding away?%0D %0D In a documentary they showed him overweight and greasy sitting in what looked like a basement office, sitting in front of an old work PC watching the demands roll in. It was saddening.

by Anonymousreply 6005/23/2011

I always loved Linda Fiorentino. Sad to hear she's a raving lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 6105/23/2011

Carrie Snodgrass and Phoebe Snow both dropped out to take care of handicapped children. I knew and still know plenty of women with handicapped kids who still work. You don't have to drop out. Snodgrass could've done theater and Snow could have recorded in a studio and made tv appearances instead of touring.

by Anonymousreply 6205/23/2011

Timothy Hutton.

Eliot Gould, who was a film superstar in the very early 70s. Drugs, ego and overexposure

Faye Dunaway

Barbara Hershey disappeared for 20 years after she decided the spirit if a dead seagull entered her body.

by Anonymousreply 6305/23/2011

Malcolm McDowell and Gary Oldman have continued to find lots of work. Maybe they aren't A-listers, but they aren't unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 6405/23/2011

r54 what are the other industry/gossip sites please

by Anonymousreply 6505/23/2011

Having bit parts in over rated superhero B movies is pretty much the equivalent of flushing your career down the toliet r64-especially for him.

Oldman was an incredible actor until the alcohol and drugs ruined his career.

by Anonymousreply 6605/23/2011

LOL, so do I r65. I find a lot of the best gossip in the comment sections of bigger sites. Hollywood is pretty sewn up; that's why I loved it when we had insiders here (before the EST screamers moved in)

Deadline's comment section is good. Some stories are linked to Drudge, which fucks it up. You have to read them right away, though, because Finke sometimes removes stories or comments she doesn't like.

The Hollywood Reporter's comments are spotty-someytimes they're good. The stories aren't broken, and it's obviously in thrall to TPTB. However, they do good roundtable interviews; you can get good info there.

Oh No They Didn't skews really, really young. I can hear the uptalking as I read replies. The good thing is, it is user-generated so it's not publicist crap shoved down your throat.

Speaking of which, I've learned about some damn hot actors I didn't know before.

TMZ is mostly low rent crap, but Levin was (is?) a lawyer with decent legal and law enforcement connections. It is a must-read for any celebrity story with a police/legal angle.

Blind Gossip is a good gossip aggregator. A lot of vapid posts, but occasionally some good ones. It's about a 20:3 ratio of crap to good.

Dlisted-Michael K just cracks me up. I don't care if his stories are any good.

by Anonymousreply 6705/23/2011

Betty Hutton threatened to walk if Paramount didn't let her boyfriend direct movies. They didn't, she did and she was out on her keister when no other studio would touch her.%0D %0D Independent producers Rodgers and Hammerstein offered her the role of Ado Annie in the film OKLAHOMA. She turned it down to star in a TV "spectacular" called SATINS AND SPURS. The show flopped so badly that Betty announced her retirement from show business.

by Anonymousreply 6805/23/2011

Raquel Welch

by Anonymousreply 6905/23/2011

LiLo owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 7005/23/2011

Chris Engen

by Anonymousreply 7105/23/2011

Dave Chapell might have had a screen career if he hadn't flushed away his TV show.

by Anonymousreply 7205/24/2011

Jim Caviezel gave an excellent, terrifying performance as a Timothy McVeigh-like terrorist in DEJA VU. I wouldn't believe he could play anything else but fundie freaks after that.

Wes Bentley and Thora Birch (American Beauty), for different reasons - Birch, supposedly because her parents micromanage her career.

Bentley, Linda Fiorentino...earned the rep of being difficult after being good in hot movies.

Malcolm McDowell: didn't he sort of seal his fate by being typecast as rebel/killer/nutcase, by making IF, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, well before CALIGULA? He wasn't a conventional romantic, handsome leading man.

by Anonymousreply 7305/24/2011

Charlie Rocket, Randy Quaid.

by Anonymousreply 7405/24/2011

Alicia Silverstone

by Anonymousreply 7505/24/2011

Rula Lenska

by Anonymousreply 7605/24/2011

Malcolm McDowell had a hit romantic sci-fi thriller called TIME AFTER TIME, where he played H.G. Wells. This was around the same time as CALIGULA, and it's where he met his 2nd wife Mary Steenburgen. He also had the lead in the CAT PEOPLE remake a couple of years later.%0D %0D He's worked steadily for years, but with his looks, his days as a leading man were bound to be numbered anyway.

by Anonymousreply 7705/24/2011

"He was ok with the younger supporting roles, but I am not sure Chris [O'Donnell] had enough charisma to be a leading man on the big screen once he was passed the male ingenue stage."%0D %0D Bingo. He can be good in the right role, but the TV screen suits him just fine.

by Anonymousreply 7805/24/2011

I'm amazed Chloe Sevigny managed to land a role in a hit cable series despite her...um...erotic art film.

by Anonymousreply 7905/24/2011

Not that Elizabeth Berkley would have had any chance of a career after Saved By The Bell, but her decision to star in Showgirls was the obviously nail in the coffin. Of all directions to choose to distance onself from a good girl sitcom typecast...Showgirls? Really? Not the best example of a promising future being ruined, but this thread brought her to mind.

by Anonymousreply 8005/24/2011

Wasn't Gary Busey also supposed to be difficult?

by Anonymousreply 8105/24/2011

Joe Dallessandro doesn't strike me as a very bright person. He was very photogenic when he was young but he doesn't have any acting skills that I've been able to discern.

by Anonymousreply 8205/24/2011

Mel Gibson owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8305/24/2011

Natasha Lyonne--did she have mental issues, overbearing parent issues, or substance-abuse issues?

She's very talented, and so watchable.

by Anonymousreply 8405/24/2011

[quote]seems like he's in every other movie if in a small roll.%0D %0D Oh, no. Baldwin's rolls are pretty big these days. His roles, however, are a little less meaty.

by Anonymousreply 8505/24/2011

Meg Ryan and Shelley Long co-own this thread.%0D %0D Both ruined their careers by being intolerable cunts to the point that assistant directors and department heads (wardrobe, hair, make-up) refused to work with them.

by Anonymousreply 8605/24/2011

Long had a pretty good, if short run with THE MONEY PIT (awful film, but it was a hit), OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE (her one decent film), and HELLO AGAIN (a mild hit).%0D %0D But she pretty much did variations of her CHEERS role, and that had a short shelf life...along with her reputation for being a royal pain.

by Anonymousreply 8705/24/2011

Elizabeth Berkley can be effective in comic roles. As for bad judgment for doing SHOWGIRLS, you have to remember that both Paul Verhoeven and Joe Esterhaz were major players at the time coming off of BASIC INSTINCT, so it must have been irresitable to a TV actress to star in a project with these two.%0D %0D Her problem was that she took the role very seriously - which made the film all the better for camp reasons, but made her look foolish. Gina Gershon - whose career hasn't exactly flourish either - played Crystal with a sense of humor about the whole thing, so she escaped some of the derision that Berkley has had to endure.

by Anonymousreply 8805/24/2011

[quote]Not that Elizabeth Berkley would have had any chance of a career after Saved By The Bell, but her decision to star in Showgirls was the obviously nail in the coffin. Of all directions to choose to distance onself from a good girl sitcom typecast...Showgirls? Really? Not the best example of a promising future being ruined, but this thread brought her to mind.

Obviously that's easy to say in retrospect, but if you're coming off a schlocky, low budget tween sitcom and you're given the chance to star in Paul Verhoeven's next film after Basic Instinct (which made Sharon Stone a household name), Total Recall and Robocop, I think you take it. No?

by Anonymousreply 8905/24/2011

Meg Ryan's plastic surgery ruined her face. There's no way I could look at that mess unless she was cast as the Joker in the next Batman.

by Anonymousreply 9005/24/2011

HEL-LO?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9105/24/2011

Leave Frances Farmer [italic]alone![/italic]

I'd have sent out flyers if I had been around then.

by Anonymousreply 9205/24/2011

John Barrymore

Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle

Judy Garland

Ingrid Bergman

Winona Rider

Lindsay Lohan

Arnold

by Anonymousreply 9305/24/2011

Ingrid Bergman?

by Anonymousreply 9405/24/2011

Bergman's career took a dive after she left her husband for Rossellini.

by Anonymousreply 9505/24/2011

Didn't she still end up winning another Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 9605/24/2011

She did win an Oscar and was appreciative, but it was after she'd been heavily slammed. A senator denounced her publicly.

by Anonymousreply 9705/24/2011

NFL Wide Receiver Lance Retzel

by Anonymousreply 9805/24/2011

"but her behavior with Alec Baldwin - leaking those tapes and sacrificing her own daughter's name for vengeance ruined her career."%0D %0D Oh please. Baldwin is no walk in the park himself. The guy had drug and alcohol issues for the longest time. He berated the shit out of her at a LI restaurant after she won the oscar.%0D %0D Kim's problems stem from the fact that she has that condition where you don't want to leave your house.

by Anonymousreply 9905/24/2011

R99, I think the condition you refer to is "angoraphobia."

by Anonymousreply 10005/24/2011

What's Timothy Hutton's story? Is he difficult, crazy, or just not interested in being a big movie star?

by Anonymousreply 10105/24/2011

Not too long ago, there was a thread about Meg Ryan and how she had one of the worst face jobs in Hollywood history. People were shocked at how awful it was. That definitely helped to end her career, in addition to turning 40 and being such an uber-cunt to everyone within 100 yards of a movie set that nobody wanted to work with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10205/24/2011

Cuba Gooding - his shit went way downhill after winning his Oscar for Jerry Maguire.

Lisa Nicole Carson - beautiful black actress who came to fame on Ally McBeal. She was bipolor or schizo or something, and self-medicated, which ended her career.

Richard Greico - cute but the eyebrows were overdone. Left 21 Jump Street to star in his own show called Booker, which got axed after one season. Then he made a silly spy caper movie called Better Off Dead, with the wonderful Linda Hunt. Now I hear he is all drugged out.

by Anonymousreply 10305/24/2011

[quote]Natasha Lyonne--did she have mental issues, overbearing parent issues, or substance-abuse issues?

She was a hard core drug addict and ended up homeless for a while. She's clean now and trying to make something of a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 10405/24/2011

Russell Crowe owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10505/24/2011

Never thought about Bergman. Her career was not the same when she was allowed back for Anastasia in '56, although it probably would have faded some by that time anyway, because she was approaching 40. I am trying to think if there are any big female roles from the early '50s that she missed that were right for her.

by Anonymousreply 10605/24/2011

Uhhhh, Judd Nelson?

Lukas Haas.

F. Murray Abraham

Bette Midler (no one makes Mummy movies anymore)

by Anonymousreply 10705/24/2011

r104, didn't Natashe Lyone die of an overdose last year?

by Anonymousreply 10805/24/2011

Helen Lawson was offered "Deep Throat" but turned it down. That really killed her film career.

by Anonymousreply 10905/24/2011

R108-If she did, she looked pretty fucking great in the two plays I saw her appear in this season.

by Anonymousreply 11005/24/2011

Ingrid Bergman doesn't belong on this thread, because Hollywood officially forgave her after a few years of exile. In the late fifties it welcomed her back with an Oscar and some primo scripts, and kept her working until her final illness. %0D %0D Okay, her star faded and she turned to character roles after she turned forty, but not after she'd had one of the biggest comebacks of the mid century. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11105/24/2011

Natasha is still with us, although she contracted Hep C during her down and out period. She's back to making direct to video schlock.

by Anonymousreply 11205/24/2011

Here's a site that answers the question WHET. Some interesting stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11305/24/2011

Jamie Foxx... although I'm not sure if it's because his head tattoo, or mixing it up with Howard Stern to the point where Stern almost outed him.

Maybe both.

by Anonymousreply 11405/24/2011

Ingrid Bergman flushed her acting career down the toilet for seven years, and managed to be attacked in Congress to boot. Of course she had a comeback, but her career wasn't what it would have been, whatever her "vindication" and subsequent two Oscars added to the previous one.

Other actors experienced droughts and comebacks - Bergman's was a spectacular self-immolation at the time.

by Anonymousreply 11505/24/2011

All Ingrid Bergman did was have an affair while she was still married. That wouldn't even be noteworthy today. People were such uptight assholes back then.

by Anonymousreply 11605/24/2011

She also got pregnant out of wedlock, which would have been shocking to 1940s America.

by Anonymousreply 11705/24/2011

[quote]or mixing it up with Howard Stern to the point where Stern almost outed him

What did Stern say?

by Anonymousreply 11805/24/2011

r29 why patty Duke?

by Anonymousreply 11905/25/2011

Did you see Jamie on Oprah's next to next to last show on Monday?

Can anyone say MAJOR FUCKING QUEEN????

He did everything but prance.

by Anonymousreply 12005/25/2011

So, by mentioning Ingrid Bergman did Liz Taylor flush her career down the toilet when she dumped her then husband for Richard Burton?

by Anonymousreply 12105/25/2011

Joaquin Phoenix

by Anonymousreply 12205/25/2011

[quote]What did Stern say?

It all started last year, when Howard and crew were making fun of Gabourey Sidibe's weight. Jamie Foxx and his people (I guess he has a radio show?) started to trash Stern. Foxx called him a "honky", a Jew, etc.. and saying how Howard is irrelevant.

Howard replied by saying he knows things about Jamie, and if Foxx really wanted to get into a pissing match, then bring it on. While he didn't elaborate later in the broadcast, Howard would interject by asking how old Foxx was, if he's found the right woman to settle down with yet, asking why can't Jamie find the right woman, etc. It was pretty obvious what the references were geared towards.

As far as I know, Foxx didn't mention anything again.

by Anonymousreply 12305/25/2011

F. Murray Abraham

Developed a huge ego after winning the Oscar so he ruined his chances to continue working on good films.

Director Jean-Jacques Renaud talks about it on the commentary for "In the Name of the Rose".

by Anonymousreply 12405/25/2011

Chris Klein, who starred in Election and American Pie in 1999.

For a couple of years, he was touted as the next Brad Pitt.

I'm not sure what happened, but not much since.

by Anonymousreply 12505/26/2011

Samantha Mathis, young actress from Little Women, Broken Arrow, American Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 12605/26/2011

Rose McGowan was the It Girl for five minutes in the mid-90s. Then she started dating Marilyn Manson and people were so grossed out she was over.

by Anonymousreply 12705/26/2011

Sean Young

by Anonymousreply 12801/22/2012

Chuck Norris' endorsement of Newt Gingrich will prove to be the beginning of the end for his phenomenal acting career.

by Anonymousreply 12901/22/2012

You know Keanu Reeves got Wes Bentley into heroin. Talk about a bad influence. Exactly how many lives has Keanu destroyed?

by Anonymousreply 13001/22/2012

Rose McGowen made a small comeback but you could look to Reeves and that Manson crowd and see where it has all ended. Think about Depp, top actor in Hollywood but he's having a little addiction problem. He and Manson used to be great friends.

by Anonymousreply 13101/22/2012

Kim Basinger was the most beautiful woman in Hollywood but a total nutcase. Baldwin, who could love him? I know he is impossible but she should have just divorced him and forgot about him.

by Anonymousreply 13201/22/2012

"All Ingrid Bergman did was have an affair while she was still married. That wouldn't even be noteworthy today. People were such uptight assholes back then."

She got pregnant with one man's baby while was married to another man. Sorry, but that is kinda skanky. No one gave Arnold a free pass for knocking up his maid while he was married, so why should Bergman get a free pass for being a huge ho?

by Anonymousreply 13301/22/2012

Michael Pitt seems to be doing a good job of sabotaging his career. How do you get fired from a successful series that you are essentially the heart of?

by Anonymousreply 13401/22/2012

What's her name? Brett Butler?

by Anonymousreply 13501/22/2012

Judy Davis, the hateful cunt with a big mouth.

by Anonymousreply 13601/22/2012

Rooney Mara in every interview she's given for TGWTDT.

by Anonymousreply 13701/22/2012

Chris Klein looks too much like Chris Evans. It was a body double thing, not something he could control.

by Anonymousreply 13801/22/2012

Imagine Judd Nelson's nostrils on an IMAX. He's just been looking in the wrong place for his career.

by Anonymousreply 13901/22/2012

You hateful sow, at r133

by Anonymousreply 14001/22/2012

[quote]F. Murray Abraham

You have to admit, the guy is so ugly and pockmarked as to be practically deformed. I'm always shocked to see him playing roles that aren't some variation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, or stories about trolls who live under bridges.

by Anonymousreply 14101/22/2012

Judy

Poor Judy

by Anonymousreply 14201/22/2012

What has Rooney Mara been saying? What is she doing wrong? When I saw her, she came across as either a snob or a punk.

by Anonymousreply 14301/22/2012

Lupe Velez.

Literally.

by Anonymousreply 14401/22/2012

[quote]Samantha Mathis

I always confuse her with Martha Plimpton, who is the same age and similar in looks but seems to have gone from late-teens/early-20s to matronly overnight.

by Anonymousreply 14501/22/2012

Perry Como destroyed his film career before it had a chance to start by telling Louie B. Mayer to fuck off.

Gloria Grahame destroyed a solid film career by fucking her face up with plastic surgery and being difficult on the set of several of her films.

Whitney Houston....oh, that deserves a thread of its own.

by Anonymousreply 14601/22/2012

[RE : 68] You didn't mention it , but the Neely O'Hara character was actually based on Betty Hutton , not Garland. And Helen Lawson, was Ethel Merman. The whole bit of Lawson having song taken out of show, then firing Neely, was based on true incident, when an unknown Hutton, was cast in Merman's " Panama Hatie" , in the early 40's, and Merman cut Betty's best number, and then had her fired , cause she was still a show stopper. Betty ended up getting a Hollywood contract ( like Neely) , but alcohol, and her ego, cut her film career short.

by Anonymousreply 14701/23/2012

Is the Jury still out on Charlie Sheen?

by Anonymousreply 14801/23/2012

LOL at r144!

by Anonymousreply 14901/23/2012

[quote] Why did Joe Dallesandro's career tank to the degree he's now just an apartment building supervisor?

Who is this person?

by Anonymousreply 15001/23/2012

What's the latest with Tracy Morgan?

by Anonymousreply 15101/23/2012

I can't believe no one has mentioned Valerie Harper. All that EST crap ruined her and her career. After the "Valerie" stupidity she has worked, but nothing worth notice.

by Anonymousreply 15201/23/2012

What did Wes Bentley do to sabotage himself? I thought he was broodingly handsome in American Beauty.

by Anonymousreply 15301/23/2012

Wes Bently had major drug problems. He was basically non-functional for several years.

by Anonymousreply 15401/23/2012

Oy vey! What's wrong with the first 82 of you?

by Anonymousreply 15501/23/2012

Some of you are listing one hit wonders who failed to ever really develop a career. That's like shooting fish in a barrel. Especially when the wonder never really had any talent or charisma.

by Anonymousreply 15601/23/2012

Kurt Cobain

by Anonymousreply 15701/23/2012

I think when Keanu fell hard for Tiger, he flushed his career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15801/23/2012

Sal Mineo

by Anonymousreply 15901/23/2012

Donna Dixon. After Bosom Buddies she was being touted as being the next Marilyn Monroe.

She was gorgeous, talented and well-liked by all who knew and worked with her.

She shocked both her fans and the industry by giving it all up to marry Dan Aykroyd of all people.

You can still see her occasionally when she takes on a bit role on one of her husband's movies.

by Anonymousreply 16001/23/2012

What happened to Christian Slater? He was all over the place and then gone. I saw him listed in some really low budget flick a few days ago. Was he difficult or a druggie?

by Anonymousreply 16101/23/2012

Has no one mentioned Eddie Murphy yet?

He's got to be up there in the top three.

by Anonymousreply 16201/23/2012

Me, asking people how they're pooping.

by Anonymousreply 16301/23/2012

Several posts bring up Alex Pettyfer.

It's funny to me because I used to know who this person is. Right now, my mind is drawing a complete blank. I've forgetten him entirely.

by Anonymousreply 16401/23/2012

If the acting thing doesn't work out, Michael Pitt can fall back on his other talent-prostitution.

by Anonymousreply 16501/23/2012

Michael Nader (Dynasty,All My Children)

Was fired from AMC because he was high with his daughter in the car as well as a bag of drugs. He was also charged with selling drugs.

He now looks like death walking- emaciated, missing teeth, facial wasting.

by Anonymousreply 16601/23/2012

R141

F. Murray Abrham was just on an episode of The Good Wife.

by Anonymousreply 16701/23/2012

Gloria Grahame also didn't help her career when she had sex with her husband Nicholas Ray's 13 year old son Tony Ray, and then after divorcing Nicholas, eventually married Tony. That was scandalous even by Hollywood standards.

Billy Crystal wanted to do serious films, and he flopped with a vehicle called Memories of Me. He still works hosting the Oscars but he never really recovered from that.

It goes way back, but Rudolph Valentino nearly killed his career by wanting to do serious films and insisting his wife write and direct those serious films. Their films together were such a departure from The Sheik that they flopped. He eventually had to sign a contract that barred his wife from the set to continue working. He was in the midst of a comeback when he died.

Of course, Billy Haines refused to dump his lover Jimmy Sheilds and was fired by Louis B. Mayer. But he went on to a great second career, so that was more of a choice on his part.

Mike Meyers - The Love Guru. All that needs to be said.

by Anonymousreply 16801/23/2012

[quote]Mike Meyers - The Love Guru. All that needs to be said.

That was the nail in the coffin, but he was already running out of gas before then. The last decent movie he'd made was Austin Powers 2.

by Anonymousreply 16901/23/2012

R166, Nader didn't help matters by suing All My Children to get his job back, which he claims they promised him if he got clean.

But apparently, the lawsuit highlighted that he didn't get clean.

A sad case.

by Anonymousreply 17001/23/2012

Christian Slater was in every third movie in the early 90s and then practically disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 17101/23/2012

Jennifer Lopez? Though, I do not know the reason for her disappearance. Maybe it was the lack of talent.

by Anonymousreply 17201/23/2012

[quote]Lupe Velez.

[quote] Literally.

I bow to you...

by Anonymousreply 17301/23/2012

Dane Clark had a fairly good career; he was known as "the poor man's John Garfield." He was slated to star in Champion, which would have lifted him to real stardom. And then he decided to belt Jack Warner. Kirk Douglas replaced Clark in the film, and Clark's career went basically no where. He wound up playing roles like Ham Berger in "The New Perry Mason." And then he died.

by Anonymousreply 17401/23/2012

Shannen Doherty - a career so dead it took about 175 replies to get around to her!

by Anonymousreply 17501/23/2012

Reminds me of Dane Cook.

by Anonymousreply 17601/23/2012

Lopez is very talented but she had a lousy manager and she thought she was more important than God. You know, either you are a singer, an actor or a designer...you can't be everything. Well, maybe Oprah can...

by Anonymousreply 17701/23/2012

All of the following ruined their careers by their own bad behavior:

Marilyn Monroe

Judy Garland

Betty Hutton

Brad Davis

Louise Brooks

Frances Farmer

Mel Gibson

Clara Bow

by Anonymousreply 17801/23/2012

I disagree with Marilyn Monroe ruining her career.

by Anonymousreply 17901/23/2012

She'd been rehired for Something's Got to Give at the time of her death -- at a salary increase, and an agreement that called for more films.

by Anonymousreply 18001/23/2012

[R123] Stern acted like he had some kind of "inside info" about Foxx being gay, and threatened to use it to "kill his career". In reality, Stern was about two years behind: when video vixen Kareen "Superhead" was interviewed on Foxx's radio show, she said the same thing right to his face, and even gave specific examples. Foxx didn't let Superhead faze him, and I seriously doubt he let Howard Stern faze him.

by Anonymousreply 18101/23/2012

Nick Nolte

Debra Winger

Jennifer Garner

by Anonymousreply 18201/23/2012

Shelley Long

by Anonymousreply 18301/23/2012

McLean Stevenson left MASH when it was the most popular show in the world because he couldn't stand being a supporting character. He had auditioned for Alan Alada's role and couldn't get over not playing that part.

He was in four or five flop sitcoms, became a punchline and died of a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 18401/23/2012

Brian Dunkleman quit his hosting job on American Idol after the first season because he didn't think the show would last.

by Anonymousreply 18501/23/2012

Mel Gibson

by Anonymousreply 18601/23/2012

Suzanne Summers

by Anonymousreply 18701/23/2012

[quote]All of the following ruined their careers by their own bad behavior:

Frances Farmer

I disagree with this one. IIRC, Farmer was effed over both by the studio system and her mother. She had schizophrenia or was bipolar (before it was called that). Her mother gave permission for Frances to receive shock treatment -- such as it was at the time -- and Farmer was never the same. I don't feel like looking up the details, but it was similar to that.

by Anonymousreply 18801/23/2012

Tom Hulce

by Anonymousreply 18901/23/2012

I thought she had a lobotomy, r188?

by Anonymousreply 19001/23/2012

Speaking of MASH, R165, the actor who played Radar left early to pursue a career in films, which never materialized.

Dumb move.

by Anonymousreply 19101/23/2012

[quote]Kevin Smith's comments about her had to be censored from the commentary track on the "Dogma" DVD.

What was bleeped out?

by Anonymousreply 19201/24/2012

What did Tom Hulce do?

I always liked him.

by Anonymousreply 19301/24/2012

I don't think that Hulce did anything per se. He's a sweet, nice man. But his role in Dominick and Eugene wasn't exactly a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 19401/24/2012

George Lazenby quit the James Bond franchise after only one movie, his career was then over.

by Anonymousreply 19501/24/2012

Lazenby didn't quit. It quit him.

by Anonymousreply 19601/24/2012

Dolores Hart could have been a HUGE star, had she not become a nun. I've always found her to be most appealing onscreen in her handful of movies.

Susan Kohner should've had a much bigger career, but decided to marry fashion designer John Weitz in 1964, retiring from the screen to raise a family.

by Anonymousreply 19701/24/2012

[quote]Carrie Snodgrass and Phoebe Snow both dropped out to take care of handicapped children. I knew and still know plenty of women with handicapped kids who still work. You don't have to drop out. Snodgrass could've done theater and Snow could have recorded in a studio and made tv appearances instead of touring.

I don't know who you are, [R62], but you are an asshole of epic proportions. Phoebe Snow was amazing, and her daughter wasn't simply "handicapped," she was like an infant in terms of development.

You've complained about her not being quite as famous as you would have liked in TWO threads now, including the one about her death. You're a sad, demented human being.

And FYI, Phoebe DID record several albums in a studio and DID do limited touring. She also sang several commercial jingles. Most of America forgot about her, because she wasn't Bouncy McFunBags and couldn't sell records on the size of her boobs. A shame, because she's beyond amazing.

by Anonymousreply 19801/24/2012

I was surprised that Keanu was a rice queen.

by Anonymousreply 19901/24/2012

Meg Ryan aka Margaret Hyra aja Meg McCunty. Being an utter cunt on her sets sealed her fate.

Ditto for Helen Cunt and Penelope Ann Cuntface.

by Anonymousreply 20001/24/2012

Penelope Ann Miller, I mean. She was enormously cunty for somebody who wasn't even a household name yet. She makes for a good cunt in THE ARTIST, though.

by Anonymousreply 20101/24/2012

r161, Slater's problem was he can't act. He only got where he was because his mother was a BIG casting agent. He did okay with some supporting roles, he did have a drug problem. Came back with a cable tv show last year or a few years ago, did not do well.

by Anonymousreply 20201/24/2012

"I disagree with Marilyn Monroe ruining her career."

Due to her pill addiction and mental health issues (which were exacerbated by her strange, possessive psychiatrist Ralph Greene) she was unemployable. On her last film she only showed up to work infrequently and when she did show she was hours late and couldn't remember her lines. She was fired. Of course, there was plenty of talk of new projects and even coming back to finish the aborted picture but none of this had much chance of actually happening. Her career was dead before she actually died herself.

by Anonymousreply 20301/24/2012

Mickey Riurke owns this thread. Destroyed his career and his face.

by Anonymousreply 20401/24/2012

I'm not sure it's fair to say that a mentally ill person "ruined their career." That's not a choice like using drugs or alcohol or being an asshole. It's probably more accurate to say that their careers were ruined.

by Anonymousreply 20501/24/2012

Already said in other thread but meeting Tom Hulce when I worked in casting was THE biggest disappointment -- expected warm, cuddly and fun, got fuckin' weirdo Martian who stared back and kept his sunglasses on inside. NOBODY does that in a casting office, ha.

Also mentioned in similar thread: could anyone fuck it up more than Scott Bairstow? My vote to own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 20601/24/2012

It doesn't help your tanked career when you have boogies in your nose and a hearing aid on the red carpet. But it might explain ALL THE SCREAMING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20701/24/2012

I've heard Shelley Long mentioned across several threads, but no one ever goes into detail. No entertaining stories a la Betty Bacall ("Don't you look at me!")

by Anonymousreply 20801/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!