Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The cast of "Friends"...

Were they really all good friends? What's Matthew Perry like (and why is he back in rehab)? Was Lisa Kudrow the brains of the operation when it came to negotiating raises?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 16401/16/2013

Matt Perry and Jen Aniston did advocate the standing together idea. Sadly, "Ross" David whatshisname was the lone standout. He soon toed the line when he saw he was not regarded as the star. Conversely, Gale Harold who played Brian on Queer as Folk, quickly became the star and could have demanded more but he advocated for the main cast to have equal pay. With the notable exception of Hal Sparks, who felt his vast experience in I love the 80s meant he was more valuable. Well done Gale Harold, you have always worked and retain the respect of your co-workers. Sparks, not so much.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 205/19/2011

I read that it was David Schwimmer who convinced all of them that they should stick together when negotiating for a raise.%0D %0D Apparently Jennifer and Courteney were always pretty tight. Lisa was a married lady with a kid and wasn't available to hang out after work.%0D %0D The guys looked like they got along pretty well, if you go by the blooper vids that are on youtube.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 405/19/2011

[quote]I read that it was David Schwimmer who convinced all of them that they should stick together when negotiating for a raise. I did too. And I thought it worked out well for him, because Ross was the most disposable of the six.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 505/19/2011

Schwimmer has moved into directing; good move on his part. LeBlanc's career was the worst post-Friends until "Episodes", which isn't that great. Perry is a drug addict and clearly can't cope with the workload expected of him.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 805/20/2011

Tom Selleck (Richard) has said in interviews that just being in occasional episodes, he was a little envious of the closeness of the Friends cast.

Courtenay and Jennifer are close. I think Jen is Coco's godmother if I'm not mistaken.

Coco Cox -- well that *is* an interesting name I guess... But what if she doesn't want to be a stand up comedian?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 1305/20/2011

The original concept of the show focused more on Monica's character with Phoebe and Chandler intended as more minor characters. Kudrow was brilliant in having them negotiate together - even though she was a fan favorite, her character was easily the most expendable.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 1405/20/2011

Matt LeBlanc used to work at my hometown grocery store as a produce boy. He had very long, shiny hair.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 1605/20/2011

Weren't they all good heroin addicts, thus "friends?"

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 1705/20/2011

I don't think any of them had a heroin problem with the possible exception of Matthew Perry, who was more likely addicted to opiate painkillers.%0D %0D There was something very wrong with Courtney Cox during part of the series when she became practically skeletal and looked very ill. I assumed that was anorexia, though...%0D %0D BTW, even though the Joey spinoff stunk, the Showtime series, "Episodes" is pretty good.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 1805/20/2011

I always heard that Courtney and Jennifer were into heroin when they dated that dork with the Counting Crows

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 1905/20/2011

It was Schwimmer's idea to stick together. He used the same model with his theatre company, Lookingglass.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 2105/20/2011

I've heard all three guys are gay.

Didn't LeBlanc announce his divorce THE DAY that JOEY was axed?

If he was pissed that the he felt 'forced' into playing straight off screen that'd be a f.u. to people who promised him JOEY would run for a while and give him even more money that he'd made on FRIENDS.

I get why they don't come out; none of the 'oh, haha Joey and Chandler were hugging too long' jokes wouldn't play if it were known that the actors were also gay off-camera.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 2405/20/2011

Answered above.

Schwimmer no (screw the no-male-bisexuality troll, there were rumors to the contrary).

Perry was incredibly cool about the gay jokes and encouraged a few. Many people thought he was closeted, but his friendship with Azaria notwithstanding, he had no boyfriend that anyone could ever confirm.

Next to Kudrow, Perry was the kindest and sweetest of the six, despite being very dark and clearly hating himself for reasons people always were sad about.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 2505/20/2011

more r-25!

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 2605/20/2011

LeBlanc had an affair with the blonde woman on Joey (not Drea de Mateo...the other one) They might even be married now. Sort of doubt he's gay since he dumped one woman for another. Seems more like a stoner to me.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 2705/20/2011

r22....who were the two NBC wanted to drop? I've always wondered. Supposedly during one of the last seasons when their salaries were so high NBC said they'd only pay the desired rate for 4 of the cast and wanted to drop 2 actors and bring in 2 unknown actors whom they could pay less....who was it?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 2905/20/2011

R22 That was interesting. I genuinely feel that Friends was one of the best sitcoms of all time and as a writer myself I really loved the writing on the show. I still watch Friends reruns all the time -- even marathons of them when some networks run those.

Hmmm I had always thought that Monica was a lot funnier when she and Chandler became a couple so it's nice to have your insight as to why -- especially as it turns out to apparently been abut the writing.

All of the Friends cast members were amazing, but it was Chandler who always stood out to me as the most poignant in what Perry brought to the character. I guess it doesn't make sense though that for me Chandler always seemed the most connected to all the other characters when Monica and Ross were the brother and sister (although yes Chandler knew them in high school).

It's sad to hear that Perry seems to have so many problems to struggle with -- I wish that his time in rehab will really help him be okay. He is an amazing talent!

By the way any info you have on Janice (Maggie Wheeler) and Perry -- I loved them together -- so funny! LOL!

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3005/20/2011

Thanks, r25! I've got some questions...

- Did Matt LeBlanc ever have his "guy friends" hanging around the set, or was it more discreet?

- Which guest stars were pleasant, which were pros, and which were horrors?

- Reese Witherspoon was very good playing Aniston's sister (and got Aniston's mannerisms down - it was believable they were sisters). But she never appeared on the show again - is it true she was blackballed by Aniston?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3105/20/2011

That was part of the story, R28, but the body issues went back to Season 1. There are some early pics around of him before the show playing tennis where you can see the issues with his chest. He's also a bit pair shaped (the hips). It wasn't until after he did a bit more contouring that he had his first shirtless scene (Season 8, I think).

Before that though, he doubled up tshirts, covered himself in his one shirtless scene, and his wardrobe (those sweater vests) evolved out of it. He had addiction problems throughout the show and before that happened. He constantly fussed with his clothes and hated the way he looked on TV and remarked about it, often not jokes. All I can tell you is several people I knew had seen this behavior among women and ended up looking this way in Hollywood. He was skeletal, not eating, and it was bad enough that there was talk of intervention.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3205/20/2011

[R29] I was on to another WB show, and never heard that rumor on the lot. The six-strong tactic was in full force before then, and if it was a serious rumor it would have been floated by stupid people to break them. The show had run its course with few issues to resolve, and the last two seasons dragged on.

NBC would not have pushed for four to continue. The only thing I can say for sure is Perry's health problems made people think he needed a break, but he pulled himself together every time.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3305/20/2011

Janeane Garofalo was almost cast as Monica. She turned the role down. I love Janeane, but she would not have been a good fit as Monica.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3405/20/2011

really r30?, you thought it was the best and you are a writer.%0D %0D They lost me after the 3rd season.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3505/21/2011

When the show ended, I missed Janice and Gunther the most

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3605/21/2011

"...as a writer myself I really loved the writing on the show."

I can not reconcile this idea. "Friends" really lowered the standards to no "sit-," all "-com". Set up, joke, set up, set up, joke. Exterior shot, another location. Comment. Set up. Joke. Comment. Call back. Exterior shot, another location. Repeat for 22 minutes. Continue through 22 weeks with two serial through-lines.

"Friends" really made me miss the world of self-contained sitcoms that were in no way soap opera-like. You could watch an episode at any point in a season of a Norman Lear show, or Mary Tyler Moore, and laugh for 22 minutes. You didn't have to know if this one slept with that one, or will they or won't they, or have they and hated each other. They featured situations that were comedic.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3705/21/2011

I heard a post friends interview with aniston where she said she saw Courtney all the time, occasionally still saw Lisa and matt le blanc but hadn't seen David or matt perry for ages.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3805/21/2011

{R25]... I'll handle the guest stars stream of consciousness.

No one stands out as being really difficult that I can recall, but it's relative in LA, and one person says one thing, others say the opposite. Lots of people working on shows want every guest star to be perfect and bitch over nothing, so it is what it is. People wanted to be on the show and the longer it went on, the wealthier the six became and really were considered huge to play with. It was hit for the entire time when I was there and generally a happy set. Very hard to leave.

Most professional and loveliest... Jessica Hecht and Jane Sibbett, hands down. I gay-crushed a little on Hecht, she was that good and every line reading had real charm to it. She's gold in my book. I wished she had been a regular.

Maggie Wheeler is also extremely talented and professional, very funny. Ditto Allison LaPlaca and Joanna Gleason, who I knew from before the show, so I loved it when she was there. Also very smart.

Margo Thomas was really nice to me, so she stands out personally but not sure it was universally felt. Brooke Shields was also gracious across the board.

Brad Pitt was in a great mood the days he was on set (and he looked his prettiest then, a knockout) but a lot of people kept their distance considering why he was there, and just to be cool.

Selleck didn't really fit in, which explains the comments above. Awkward but professional. Reese was actually quite funny but also awkward - trying too hard sometimes, cold to the crew, out of place. Kathleen Turner had her moments of seeming - erm, lost? - but she delivered. Elliot Gould was a little eccentric but a star.

Julia Roberts radiated ego but it was a golden time for her and the show was rising in clout despite a terrible writing year up until that point. The first half of Season 2 was the most laugh-tracked the show ever was. Jokes fell flat over and over, there was a lot of tension and pressure, so people were grateful she was there on a good episode, and everyone was relatively happy as I recall, other than that she sucked a lot of air out of the room.

Clooney seemed a little annoyed about doing a crossover even though it was Season 1 for ER and Friends, but he was a good sport. Bruce Willis was pretty jovial but had a bit of an edge - a bit scary here and there.

Biggest disappointments %E2%80%93 Sean Penn and, to my recollection, David Sutcliffe, probably. Strangely enough, Ron Liebman was actually generally affable and funny, but barked at a couple of people that I can remember back in Season 2 or 3. It was a long time ago.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 3905/21/2011

[R37] that's unfair. It's not your taste, but yet you're here bashing the show. Did you watch it or not? Your criticism can be made of most shows if you don't watch and try to pick up an episode. And if you hated it and did watch, you're just that kind of person.

And if you know anything about sitcoms, there's a reason the shows you're touting didn't last. They were high concepts, no plan for a long life. The structure and substance you can't "get" is what made the show have a good 8 season run.

All in the Family fell apart by Season 5 and the cast became caricatures. MTM did not turn in strong seasons in 6 and 7 and had to quit. And if you're saying all Lear shows bested Friends in the writing department, closer examination of those shows doesn't prove you right.

Were there bad episodes of Friends? Yes. Season 2 was painfully cloying up to a point. The Ross-Rachel storyline after Season 6 became absurd. But once the show got out of its "tug at the heart / make the characters likeable" pitfall in the middle of Season 2, it took off.

There's a reason it has staying power in syndication. It's funny.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4005/21/2011

R37 is correct.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4105/21/2011

[quote]There's a reason it has staying power in syndication. It's funny.%0D %0D Seinfeld and Cheers were funny, Friends not so much.%0D %0D The same crap is happening in the movies. People are dumbing down.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4205/21/2011

[quote]All I can tell you is several people I knew had seen this behavior among women and ended up looking this way in Hollywood.%0D %0D %0D Could you clarify this sentence? Not being a grammar troll....just really interested in what you are saying.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4305/21/2011

Thanks, 39. Your comments are fascinating to me. May I ask you about Christina Pickles? How was she to work with? I loved her on St. Elsewhere. And she delivered, I think, one of the funniest lines of the entire series -- on the Thanksgiving episode, where she reels off a breathless litany of responses to everyone else's behavior.

I liked Friends a lot and still do. But I agree with R37 that MTM may have been the high-water mark for sitcoms.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4405/21/2011

R43, All I mean is that Perry's behavior pretty much paralleled the behavior of every female star who sees herself on camera and hates how she looks relative to other skinny women that dominate LA, with the exception that he wasn't told to lose weight. The ones that see themselves as hippy and pudgy particularly are the quickest to starve themselves. I remember making several jokes about his having to wear jeans and the writers even wrote a workout story out of it.

I've seen several women starve themselves like Matthew did on many shows (one, not on Friends, who also had a drug habit). They start out looking normal, then go through a stick phase where stress, pressure, etc. makes this easiest solution "starve yourself."

Matthew's reasoning may have been affected by pain killers and his perception of when he needed to stop, but given his sensitivity to how he was dressed, going shirtless, the jokes about his appearance, etc., it was a classic response to his perceived problem.

His behavior was no different from female celebrities who do exactly what he did. He just took it much too far.

Those wardrobe people have no secrets.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4505/21/2011

I have not seen a single episode of Friends in my entire life. (I wish I could say the same about Sex and the city.)

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4605/21/2011

[quote]Christina Pickles...delivered, I think, one of the funniest lines of the entire series -- on the Thanksgiving episode, where she reels off a breathless litany of responses to everyone else's behavior.

Absolutely my favorite episode of the series, and you are correct about her delivery being absolutely hilarious.

As far as guest stars, I read a fairly recent interview with Fisher Stevens who played one of Phoebe's boyfriends in an early episode and he had nothing good to say about the show or cast. But he came off as such a complete douche I think it was more his problem than the show's.

To the FRIENDS insider, were you around the final seasons when Paul Rudd was playing Phoebe's boyfriend? It was very obvious how they avoided putting him and Jennifer Anniston in scenes together. Did they not get along after that movie they made together? I just wondered what you knew.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4705/21/2011

There are episodes that are painful to watch because Perry is so scarily thin and hyper. The few where he is wearing a goatee and the butt-slapping boss episode are about that time.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4805/21/2011

Another friends insider here: Kudrow was as responsible as Schwimmer for getting the group to act as a team vis a vis negotiating, if not more so. I always felt she was actually the smartest of them all. Matthew is not gay, just deeply fucked up to the point of being almost dysfunctional (although he dropped Julia Roberts because, he said, she was too crazy for HIM). Matt is indeed gay, but tortured by it. The weirdest thing about Jen is how stupid she is; it kind of takes you by surprise. No one ever discusses it, or writes about it, because somehow that would seem more cruel than talking about how helpless she is at romance. But there are some wonderful jokes that Brad played on her that illuminated her stupidity, despite that they were very, very cruel. Cox was actually the best actor of them all but never got much to work with. I always thought Schwimmer was kind of a jerk.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 4905/21/2011

Angie, is that you at R49?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5005/21/2011

There was a lawsuit once where a female writer sued the studio (I think) gor sex discrmination. She alleged that jokes were made on her expense and she didn't get the support and promotion she deserved because she ead a woman. Did that have any merit - in your opinion?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5105/21/2011

Our current 'Jeopardy!' champ still has his Joey hairdo from the '90s. He's a school teacher too. I imagine the kids laugh at him behind his back.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5205/21/2011

I just have one question: what the hell was the monkey all about? That was the stupidest multi-show crap I've ever seen.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5305/21/2011

I agree with R40 - R37 is showing his age and is spouting bullshit.

There were plenty of jokes in the Norman Lear / MTM shows about people's relationships to one another. But they also had the advantage of taking on the of the major social issues of the time to give their shows gravitas and plotline.

Those social issues had been pretty much fully discussed by the early 90's.

Friends had a fresh perspective and was written differently - that's why it was a success. To say otherwise is just sticking your head in the sand. Was it brilliant all the time? No, but it was relatable and very funny.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5405/21/2011

I bet they didn't say "Damn! Damn! Damn!" on that whitey show. I am the queen of the multiple curse words in a 30 second period.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5505/21/2011

Hi it's me, r37. I honestly didn't mean for any of you to take my belief that Friends was just a com with no sit so damn personally. I'm glad you loved it to itty bitty pieces. I have a friend who grew up with the show and loves everything every cast member has ever done since then and really feels as if they were his, um, friends.

I am still startled by the fact that somebody who is a writer thinks the writing was good on the show. I was a faithful viewer for many, many seasons and sporadic by the end, until of course, the finale. I was a very early champion of the show among my friends who didn't watch it at the beginning, because of the James L Brooks connection. Even when I watched it every week, I was keenly aware that while it was giving me laughs, it was a watering down of the sitcom form.

It's actually the fault of Cheers (a very well written show) that TV comedy became obsessed with "will they or won't they?" serialization. Watching the Friends writers head down that road with Ross and Rachel was painful. Monica and Chandler came out of nowhere. But a more glaring problem to me was the one I illustrated in my original post. Scenes did not have beginnings, middles or ends. They started in media res and they ended when a slide of an apartment building or Central Perk indicated we had just left the last location because somebody said something funny.

I did not hold up the Lear shows or Mary Tyler Moore to say every line in them was funny. I held them up as examples of *situation* comedies, where something happened and the cast of characters reacted to that. They were not *just* collections of people saying snarky things to each other or something supportive to get an "awwww" from the studio audience ("Good Times" notwithstanding.)

I also don't get how somebody could assert "Friends had a fresh perspective and was written differently"? I could see saying that about Ricky Gervais's "The Office" but I think Friends succeeded the way it did because it had very little perspective and was written fairly elementarily.

Even though it's in the overdone mockumentary format, "Modern Family" is a prime example of a really well-written situation comedy today. Compared to "Friends," just on the writing (not on whether or not we feel like the cast is our friends), it's worlds better.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5605/21/2011

r56 did we ever see George Jefferson's drycleaning shop? Hmmm?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5805/21/2011

I heard Courtney and Jen would tag team the guests and be completely cruel to them. Reese Witherspoon refused to come back because of their hateful behavior, which is how they got Chris Applegate, who was one of the few who stood up to them.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 5905/21/2011

After SEINFELD was a hit, NBC wanted pitches for comedies that were "SEINFELD with attractive people." That's why FRIENDS was born

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6005/21/2011

Thanks to the insiders for all the backstage info! Very interesting.%0D %0D

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6105/21/2011

EPISODES is by David Crane and Jeffery Klarick. JOEY was produced by weird, creepy, drug-addicted Kevin Bright

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6205/21/2011

"- Reese Witherspoon was very good playing Aniston's sister (and got Aniston's mannerisms down - it was believable they were sisters). But she never appeared on the show again - is it true she was blackballed by Aniston?"

Aniston did not like Reese and felt threatened by her, as she was "just" a TV star then.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6305/21/2011

"Seinfeld and Cheers were funny, Friends not so much."

Anyone who uses that worn, tedious "not so much" expression should not embarrass himself by opining about what is fresh and funny.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6405/21/2011

I want to know R22's opinions of episodes 29 and 63, and what was the thing in Schwimmer's left back pocket just before the second commercial break in episode 70.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6505/21/2011

Friends is not brilliant television, whatever that means, but at its best it was hilarious and most of the time it was good for a few laughs per episode. It has become a popular target for derision because it was so successful.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6605/21/2011

Ok R37 - I can see your point about the "will they or won't they" serialization. The worst offender of this was Who's the Boss.

But your over-intellectualization of structure, proclamations and general snarkiness makes you a bore.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6705/21/2011

Oh R56, where to begin.

Where on earth are you getting that everyone loved the show and said it was perfect? From your weird, defensive imagination.

You still don't seem to get it - and the fact that you posted this bitchy, obnoxious rant on a show I'm ASSUMING you didn't watch because you couldn't follow it or thought it was so pedantic - makes it even more questionable why you think you're such an authority on it. And if you DID watch it after hating it so much just so you can opine on it ten years later, your sense of humor is questionable.

You also fail horribly to defend your choices of Lear comedies of examples of such great writing. They had NO potential to sustain interest, much less comedy, after several years. The flagship Lear show, ALL IN THE FAMILY, was tired by the end of its fifth season, and by year six Archie's tired inability to get words correct, Gloria's crying, Mike's mugging for the camera were nauseating schtick.

Ditto for Cheers, which does not hold up well at all past season 6.

FRIENDS never pretended to be a show about issues any more than Seinfeld did or intellectual wit like FRASIER. It was a relationship comedy about friendship, pure and simple. And it worked for eight years.

And for those of us who worked on it, seeing it still make people laugh because of the comic talent of the cast and the situations conceived by the writers, it's something to take pride in.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 6805/21/2011

I don't really know where you're getting "defensive" from my post, r68, except that maybe you're projecting? The illustrations I used were simply to point out that once upon a time, situation comedies centered around situations. That's all. To point out a legitimately hilarious and groundbreaking situation comedy like All in the Family ran out of steam after season five does nothing to weaken my point. There really aren't many shows that don't run out of steam after season five. Nowhere, anywhere, did I say that Friends wasn't a situation comedy because it didn't cover "issues." I said it gave up the "situation" in "situation comedy." Period.

I used Cheers as an example of the start of the problem with serialization of TV comedies, but you seem to be unable to hold contradictory points in your head. It was better written than Friends, it was the beginning of the problem Friends exacerbated. It was two things at once! One of them was good, and the other was bad!!!! (Hold your skull together!)

Nowhere, anywhere, did I say "everybody loved the show." I said I am glad the people who are so enamored of it to this day loved Friends. That's great. In another contradiction to try to hold in your head, it's great you loved the show and it entertained you, it also degraded the situation comedy format. A well-written situation comedy would not have done that. A well-written situation comedy would not have to fall back on Sam and Diane "will they or won't they?" seasons-long plot markers.

I also love all the backstage info. I think it's fascinating. I am glad for its huge success, because without it we would not have gotten the perfection that was Lisa Kudrow's "The Comeback." An extremely well-written situation comedy. Situation. Comedy.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7005/21/2011

That's the problem with the Internet: Every nitwit thinks his opinion matters.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7105/21/2011

R70, I agree with you. I enjoyed Friends at the time, and I think for what it is, it was well done. But I never want to re-runs of it. I don't think it holds up well for precisely the reasons you mentioned -- too soap-opera-y.

Frasier had some similar problems -- the Niles and Daphne stuff -- but I love re-runs of Frasier. I think it's just funnier, and has more "situation."

What do you think of Seinfeld? To me, Friends is like water-downed Seinfeld with a soap-opera angle.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7205/21/2011

R37, R56, R70 - I'm curious how you define situation comedy. I've always understood it to be a comedy program that centers around characters in a common environment, and they would act and react to a certain situation. For instance -

Mary Tyler Moore had the newsroom and Mary's home. Sample situation: Mary gets a waitress fired so tries to create a job for her in the newsroom.

Cheers had the bar. Sample situation: Rebecca tries to continue her climb up the corporate ladder by dogsitting for the top executive.

Friends had the apartments and Central Perk. Sample situation: Rachel has to hire a new assistant and must choose between the experienced woman and the inexperienced hot guy.

Is there more to the term "situation comedy" than I realize?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7405/21/2011

"Is there more to the term "situation comedy" than I realize?"

c = j(x + y) / l(x - y)

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7505/21/2011

R72, I always much preferred "Frasier" to "Friends," which I now find unwatchable. David Hyde-Pierce was a much more talented actor than anyone on "Friends."

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7605/21/2011

Frasier was and remains unwatchable.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7705/21/2011

Frasier was an extremely well written show, but I find Kelsey Grammer insufferable.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7805/21/2011

To me, 'Frasier is heads and shoulders above 'Friends. 'Frasier had better writing, funnier format & much better actors... 'Friends was kindergarten by comparison...%0D The only funny character was Phoebe on 'Friends--the episode where she thinks her mom was reincarnated as a cat is classic!!!!!

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 7905/21/2011

bump

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8005/21/2011

I like Seinfeld, r73. I like to pretend they are my friends when I awaken in the middle of the night and find it on reruns. It's comforting.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8105/21/2011

[quote]Coco Cox -- well that *is* an interesting name I guess... But what if she doesn't want to be a stand up comedian?%0D %0D %0D How about - "she won't have to worry because her name is actually Coco Arquette."%0D %0D

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8205/22/2011

All sitcomes should go off the air after five years. A sixth year could be allowed but only under special circumstances. %0D %0D Cheers, Frasier, Friends, All in the Family, Seinfeld - all mentioned in this thread - would have been just fine without their last seasons. (Frasier had a good last season but the few before that were not particular good.) In addition, Golden Girls and Roseanne could have missed their last seasons as well.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8305/22/2011

Wow, Matthew Perry really does have an unusual body shape.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8405/22/2011

What's so unusual, R84?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8505/22/2011

If FRIENDS ripped off any show, it was LIVING SINGLE, which debuted the previous season. It was a show about a group of late twenty something African American's living in the City. Same soap-opera-ish situations (Max and Kyle were the Rachel and Ross) only a lot funnier. %0D %0D And I like FRIENDS, but LIVING SINGLE did it better. But it didn't get half the attention that FRIENDS got.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8605/22/2011

R83: You apparently don't understand television.

It is a business, not a purveyor of fine art.

Shows are on the air to make money. Period.

And they will stay on the air as long as they do make money and the people making them want to continue working on that particular project.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8705/22/2011

R86 - that's a very bad analogy. Living Single was primarily about 4 women - living single - together and making it in the city.

The first season was about the women with the men being very secondary and not really part of the plotline outside of being neighbors. Relationships didn't happen until the end of the 2nd and into the 3rd season.

I watched Living Single religiously and thought it was a very good show - but Friends was not a rip-off of it.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8805/22/2011

I thought Friends was a ripoff of "These Friends of Mine." (Later called "Ellen.")

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 8905/22/2011

Yes, Miss Priss/R87, I understand how television works. It's obviously about making money because none of this reality drek would be on television if it cost any real money.%0D %0D Just talking about the qualities of the show. I know they will keep on running these shows into the ground for the money. It's just that they're making shit shows in the later seasons.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9005/22/2011

Wasn't "Friends" based on a british sitcom, like so many US sitcoms have been?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9105/22/2011

Friends was based on a single chapter from Julianne Moore's second memoir, "Seriously Friendly."

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9205/22/2011

I prefer Russ and Rebecca on "Chums."

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9305/22/2011

Oh, I haven't thought of Living Single in years! I loved that show! I know I was probably in the minority but I remember recording Friends and watching LS live.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9405/22/2011

R69 reminds me -- the guys on Friends had great haircuts. Not in the first season, but after that, especially Matthew Perry. And of course each guy needed to have a different haircut from the other two. I always wondered about the meetings at which different haircut options were debated and chosen.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9505/22/2011

I would love to get more dish from the "Friends" insiders. Anything?

In the meantime, did anyone else see the final-season episode of "Murder She Wrote" where Jessica Fletcher investigated a murder on the set of a sitcom called "Pals"?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9605/23/2011

Is that for real, r96? I never realized MSW's timeline coincided with Friends.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9705/23/2011

This isn't exactly hot gossip, but I work in the entertainment industry in London and a woman I'm working with told me recently that she used to work with a woman who was completely, totally obsessed with Friends. She wanted to move to LA purely to pursue the Friends lifestyle and try to meet the cast and all that, and she wound up meeting and marrying David Schwimmer. I don't know if they're still married or when this was, but I found that a bit odd, marrying a hardcore fan. I guess a few celebs have married fans, though.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9805/23/2011

I know a 50+ year old woman who moved out here from Jersey, abandoning her under age children in the process, to pursue a relationship with Elijah Wood. She finally met him and she said he seemed scared of her. She's given up on him being her one true love, at this point, but I don't know if she's still keeping the scrapbook, etc. or planning to ever move back home.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 9905/23/2011

It's real, r96 - I don't know, but I would guess that maybe the last seasons of MSW went up against Friends in the same time slot and this was the producers' way of raising an eyebrow at the situation.

The scene where they explain the show to Jessica was funny - "What's it about?" "They're all in their twenties, and they drink a lot of coffee and sleep with each other." Something like that.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10005/23/2011

Wow, that's crazy, r98. David Schwimmer only married last year--maybe he hasn't had time to figure out that his wife is batshit insane.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10105/23/2011

If she's the mother of the kid they just had, well then, mission accomplished.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10205/23/2011

Matthew Perry as a junior tennis player was cute. Hiding behind his tennis racket kind of gives credence to the body issues that was mentioned in this thread

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10305/25/2011

R96 I remember that! IIRC, the lead actress of the Pals show was really 36 trying to pass as 28.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10405/25/2011

The show was a remake of the movie "Singles" by Cameron Crowe.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10505/25/2011

[quote] Everyone at WB and NBC considered both comic geniuses, and credit both them and Schwimmer with improving the skills of Aniston, Cox, and LeBlanc through chemistry.%0D %0D Really, R14? Because Aniston was on a sketch comedy show on Fox in the early '90s and actually turned down SNL to join Friends. I think her comic timing was always pretty good. To me, David Schwimmer was one of the bigger comic voids on the show.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10605/25/2011

r98 - Wow. His wife would have been only 24 when they met and in her teens when Friends ended.

Although I suppose that's a sound strategy, targeting an older, slightly washed up TV guy. Rich, needy and not nearly so much competition.

[quote]Schwimmer (44) and Buckman (26) met in London's Cuckoo Club (where Buckman was working as a waitress) in 2007 while Schwimmer was directing the film "Run, Fat Boy, Run." They married in June last year.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10705/25/2011

[quote]I just have one question: what the hell was the monkey all about? That was the stupidest multi-show crap I've ever seen.

I'd like an insider to explain that too.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10805/25/2011

Why is Friends still so popular in the UK?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 10908/20/2011

On the subject of actors marrying fans, I know a woman who began writing to one of the child actors from the Willy Wonka movie as a fan. He eventually moved to NY from LA to be with her full-time and they now live together.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11008/20/2011

Corey Feldman's wife was a fan.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11108/20/2011

I don't get all the stuff about Schwimmer being the weak comedy link on Friends. For me -- who never seems to get tired of watching Friends reruns -- he was a strong link. For me it's Joey and Phoebe who are the more 'disposable' Friends. Ross, Monica, Chandler and Rachel are the strong comedic ones I find. I love the way Schwimmer reacts to things -- same with Perry and Cox. With Aniston, the appeal is different -- it's not her reactions to the other characters, but it's something she brings like an entertaining realism or something??

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11208/20/2011

Granted, Joey and Phoebe were the "clown" characters, but I can't imagine Friends without them.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11308/21/2011

r110, I'm assuming you mean Paris Themmen (Mike TeeVee.) Unless you're talking about the Tim Burton remake.

I agree about Schwimmer's reactions. He could be hilarious - the Thanksgiving episode where he tastes Rachel's disgusting dessert is classic. I think it was the first couple seasons of the show where he was played the mopey, whiney sad sack that annoyed me (and a lot of others.) Once they got that initial Ross-Rachel shit out of the way, the show got much better.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11408/21/2011

Moonlighting owns the will they/won't they shit.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11508/21/2011

R27, The blonde woman you refer to was also on Matthew Perry's Mr. Sunshine.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11608/21/2011

Although Matthew Perry was born in the states, he considers himself Canadian.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11708/21/2011

R112, that's funny because I think Joey and Phoebe were the best parts of the show. They were the clowns but they played the sh@t out of what they were given which was rarely as meaty as what they gave Ross and Rachel and later Chandler and Monica.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11808/21/2011

R117 We loved and accepted him as one of our own too. That is until we learned he was a junkie drunk!

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 11908/21/2011

Make no mistake -- I definitely think LeBlanc and Kudrow had great acting chops on Friends, otherwise those "clown" characters wouldn't be tolerable to watch at all. Instead, Phoebe screeching along to Ross playing the bagpipes and Joey eating jars of Monica's jam with it spread all over his face were HILARIOUS.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12008/23/2011

I think Matt was probably the weakest link of the show.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12105/14/2012

Matt will do well with his new gig.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12205/14/2012

Casting Kathleen Turner as Chandler's father was brilliant.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12305/14/2012

[quote]Hmmm I had always thought that Monica was a lot funnier when she and Chandler became a couple

WHAT?!? Chandler and Monica became a couple. Ewww, gross. They shouldn't have the friends sleep with each other. And uh, a spoiler alert would have been nice. Thanks for ruining it for me.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12405/16/2012

Thanks for resurrecting this thread! There's some great gossip in here.

I wonder what the roof of MP's problem is. Poor guy. Whatever his issue was, it looks like its still destroying him. Those photos of him a few months ago testifying in DC in support of recovery programs were awful.

For all the wisecracks the Chandler Bing made I always thought MP brought a sadness to the role which made the character the most real to me. There was that one episode where Chandler feels like he's always going to be alone which was heartbreaking. I remember a lot of people were speculating that the pathos was because the writers were going to have Chandler eventually realize that he was gay. I seriously think that might have been the original intent of the character but the show backed away from it because Chandler was so popular with women.

I swear I remember ET doing a big story on Chandler possibly coming out (this would have been the season that Joey moved out). It would have really been something if they had gone ahead with it.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12505/16/2012

What was the deal with Jennifer and Courtney both dating Adam Duritz from Counting Crows? Heroin?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12605/16/2012

So if Matthew Perry had such strong body image issues, he's certainly a trooper to go along with some of the story lines - I'm thinking about his third nipple particularly.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12705/16/2012

OH please Matthew Perry is the gay one. Period. The absurd tabloid pics of him with Jamie Tarses - so forced, so obvious. The same with the Julia Roberts thing. Julia agreed to be a temporary beard for him. Matthew and Hank Azaria (Ms. Helen Hunt) were the deal.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12805/16/2012

Pairing Chandler and Monica did lead to the funny "They don't know that we know that they know that we know" sequence. It worked better than pairing Phoebe with Joey.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 12905/16/2012

Casting Kathleen Turner as Chandler's father was the worst piece of casting in the history of Friends. Totally unbelievable that Chandler had such a freak for a father. Should have hired someone who had a dick.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13005/16/2012

What?! Kathleen Turner was great as Chandler's father.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13105/16/2012

Matt and Lisa together.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13207/30/2012

Why is anyone getting excited about 'Go On'?? No one watched 'Mr Sunshine' which featured Perry as the owner of a sports arena, so now people are going to watch him as a sportscaster? Personally I can't stand to look at his smirky twitchy face, he ruined the end of last season's 'The Good Wife' for me. Remember when he was all cracked-out on 'Friends' and lost all that weight? That was scary shit, I don't think I've ever seen a TV star so strung out. I don't think Charlie Sheen even looked that strung out.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13307/30/2012

Matt LeBlanc was at his hottest in the shower scene in the first season. It was the episode where he had been hired to be Al Pacino's butt double.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13407/30/2012

That's weird, Lisa looks good.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13507/30/2012

Indeed she does.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13607/30/2012

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I missed it the first time around.

I think Le Blanc looks better now than he did on Friends. And Kudrow looks great. She's nearly 50, isn't she?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13707/31/2012

i wonder if after they went their seprate ways they all watched the show Joey to see almost like a continuation and see how their friend Joey not Matt was doing in hollywood

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13808/07/2012

Does anyone remember Michael j fox and Tracy pollan romance in family ties? I loved that storyline. I stopped watching after that when Tracy left the show and Courtney Cox took her place. I remember Michael J Fox complaining that Courtney was inexperienced and couldn't really handle the role..,or at least I read gossip to that effect. Anyone know more details?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 13908/07/2012

No but I love the way portray Matt LeBlanc's relationships with them on "Episodes." Those one sided converations revealed so much and were so funny it was like watching a good Bob Newhart routine. I can't say enough how much I love "Episodes"

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14008/07/2012

[quote] I can't say enough how much I love "Episodes"

Ditto, R140.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14108/07/2012

Those episode when MP was skeletal and hooked (and sporting a goatee, no less) are seriously creepy. He was so out of it, if you' ve noticed, most of his scenes were done with him sitting down.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14208/07/2012

R139 - Did you know Michael Pollan is Tracy's brother?

I liked both romances. Courtney and MJF had chemistry as well, and I liked her character.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14308/07/2012

What are Episodes ratings like? If it's a favorite of mine, it's doomed to cancellation.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14408/07/2012

R144, I feel the same way. It seems like every time I love a show, it gets cancelled.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14508/07/2012

R144, R145:

The second season of Matt LeBlanc’s Episodes TV series is still airing on Showtime but there are likely more installments on the way.

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour, Showtime’s entertainment president, David Nevins, said, “I’m expecting Episodes to come back. I think that show is irregular as opposed to some of our other shows… We tend to be a little slower to get them on the air, but my intention is to keep [Episodes] going.”

The five installments of Episodes that have aired so far this year have averaged 380,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating in the demo. Viewership is down by about 20% when compared to the first season’s average.

8/2/12

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14608/08/2012

I heard they all (except Kudrow) partied hard after the show was done for the day. Girls with girls, guys with guys. Sex, drugs and alcohol.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14708/15/2012

R147 - would not surprise me. I think booze and pot were the drugs of choice fro Jennifer and Courtney.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14808/15/2012

actually the idea of the renegotiation was David Schwimmer's, but he was actually one of the ones who were most likely to get paid the most. so he didn't do it out of jealousy or because he was the most "disposable" because along with courtney he was the most successful at the time.

lisa kudrow says it all in an interview on youtube

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 14912/22/2012

Why would Schwimmer make more than the others?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15012/22/2012

How the hell did Adam Duritz score both Courtney and Jennifer. Besides heroin?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15112/22/2012

[quote]Why would Schwimmer make more than the others?

He had already been a regular on a few tv shows: The Wonder Years, LA Law, NYPD Blue

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15212/22/2012

He was recurring on shows, not a regular.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15312/22/2012

On The Wonder years, Schwimmer played the boyfriend of the older sister. In one episode, she dumped him and he kept stalking her until she took him back.

Except in those days, it wasn't called stalking and all the things that now cops warn young girls about were presented as romantic and appealing. This all ended a few months after it aired when Rebecca Schaeffer was killed by her stalker...

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15412/22/2012

Is it a fact that they were both dating Adam Duritz? At the same time? One after the other?

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15512/22/2012

[quote]Why would Schwimmer make more than the others?

The Ross and Rachel storyline was huge.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15612/22/2012

Yes, they both dated Adam Duritz, very briefly. One after the other, not at the same time. I found it curious, too. He must have had a large dick and/or had good drugs. I assume he had a fun dick to play with.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15712/22/2012

Adam Duritz -- Mary Louise Parker also was involved with him around the same time.

Maybe he wasn't so fat, then.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15812/22/2012

I read it was Cox's brainchild to negotiate as a unit; that it was actually Schwimmer who was the holdout, and it was Kudrow who finally talked him into negotiating salary as a team. If Kudrow said otherwise on youtube, I'm betting it was her act of kindness, not truth.

I saw their last group interview after the series finale. It was clear that the true friend group was LeBlanc, Aniston, and Cox. In a we-are-superior-and-you-are-not-invited kind of way. Seemed they liked Kudrow well enough, but had different interests (she'd long been married with a kid and seemed to live a more wholesome life - probably wasn't a partier). It was clear Schwimmer and Perry were excluded, though. Schwimmer could not hide his feeling of rejection. They were slightly rude about it while they're all sitting together in this interview.

But I'm not surprised, either. Schwimmer always seemed like such a putz. I do happen to know, however, he is very well-endowed (from someone who went to college with him, and this is only gym locker-room info, not a gay story).

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 15912/22/2012

[quote]I saw their last group interview after the series finale. It was clear that the true friend group was LeBlanc, Aniston, and Cox. In a we-are-superior-and-you-are-not-invited kind of way. Seemed they liked Kudrow well enough, but had different interests (she'd long been married with a kid and seemed to live a more wholesome life - probably wasn't a partier). It was clear Schwimmer and Perry were excluded, though. Schwimmer could not hide his feeling of rejection. They were slightly rude about it while they're all sitting together in this interview.

Interesting. It's a boring early Saturday evening, so I found the Jay Leno finale special online and am now watching it. So far they've only brought out the men. David Schwimmer is very softspoken.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 16012/22/2012

[quote] Schwimmer always seemed like such a putz. I do happen to know, however, he is very well-endowed

Is that right? He does kind of have BDF.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 16112/23/2012

I'm with R79.

Also, Andrea Anders is the women that Matt had the affair with. Heck, he was holding hands with her at red carpet events while on the show/soon after it ended...what sluts.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 16212/23/2012

I always thought that Lisa Kudrow would be the one with the kick-ass movie career post-Friends since she was in some critically-acclaimed movies back in the 90s and early 2000s - The Opposite of Sex being the most memorable.

by Watching the Matt Perry Biographyreply 16401/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.