Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Nancy Reagan, Stylish?

Many try to make her out to be the Right's Jakie O'. Was she really that fashionable?

by Anonymousreply 5511/19/2012

she gave the BEST blojobs

by Anonymousreply 105/19/2011

Actually, depending on your taste, she was. But not nearly as glamorous as Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 205/19/2011

Plus she was butt ugly.

by Anonymousreply 305/19/2011

Sadly, by the time Nancy and bubu brains made it to the white house, she had already become a giant head on a tooth pick. Her clothes may have been fashionable, but keep in mind, that old broad is 5 years older than she admits. She'll be 95 in July.

by Anonymousreply 405/19/2011

She wore Adolfo for crissakes! That's like the Dockers of the ladies who lunch set.

by Anonymousreply 505/19/2011

Oh please there were plenty of right wing ladies that were much more glamorous than Nancy - Nan Kempner, Betsey Bloomingdale, Lynn Wyatt to name a few. God I miss the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 605/19/2011

R1 = vouch.

She was hardly a beauty from out of the gate, with that large oddly shaped head, protuberant jawline and too-wide mouth. The latter does explain her ability to give good head I guess.

Plus she had an ugly body - no upper body and thick, ugly legs with serious cankles.

by Anonymousreply 705/19/2011

The only stylish thing about Nancy Reagan is the fact that Nazimova was her Godmother.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2011

She's an ugly, racist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 905/19/2011

Her inaugural gowns were terribly unflattering. She was a tiny little old thing, and the one-shoulder gown showed off some very brittle, sagging areas. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1105/20/2011

She dressed well sometimes. I liked the little red suits on her. But she overdressed often, and it betrayed her insecurity.

by Anonymousreply 1205/20/2011

You can add Marion Jorgensen to your list as well, R6. Rich, white, right wing Calif. society broads who would sooner cut you than look at you.

by Anonymousreply 1305/20/2011

FWIW, Lynn and Oscar Wyatt have long been Democratic supporters. Oscar Wyatt delivered a lot of money to LBJ.

by Anonymousreply 1405/20/2011

"Jakie O'"

Is this some sort of "Bareback Mountain" code?

by Anonymousreply 1505/20/2011

Fashionable?%0D %0D Well, she BORROWED from a lot of fashionable designers and sellers.%0D %0D She never paid. She rarely gave them back.%0D %0D So, I'd have to say it was the clothes people that were fashionable.%0D %0D Nancy herself was cheap and entitled.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1605/20/2011

Style involves more than just being a mannequin.

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2011

She resembled a Pez dispenser -- giant head on a stick thin, linear body. Did I mention she had an enormous head?

by Anonymousreply 1805/20/2011

Are you really that stupid that you can't puzzle out who the topic of conversation is, R15?

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2011

I don't think she was as fashionable as Jackie Kennedy.She did have an enourmous head and wasn't good looking. At least in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 2011/18/2012

She had piano stool legs.

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2012

But did she have a giant head?

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2012

Her look was not effortless.

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012

She wasn't attractive at all.

by Anonymousreply 2411/18/2012

I love that story that Nancy Reagan told to Larry King about pressuring John Travolta to ask Princess Diana to dance.

John, why don't you go ask Princess Diana to dance?

John... "Oh, no. I couldn't!"

Nancy... "John, you don't understand. She really wants to dance with you. Now, GO ON! Scoot!"

Notice who's clapping in the background.

by Anonymousreply 2511/18/2012

She was downright homely.

A First Lady as social-climbing and Marie Antoinette-ish as Nancy was would be raked over the coals today.

by Anonymousreply 2611/18/2012

She was no major beauty, even in her MGM days. I wonder why they signed her, she was very ordinary looking and had little glamour.

by Anonymousreply 2711/18/2012

just loved her one shoulder gown, I made one for myself

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2012

I don't see anyone clapping in the background, R25.

[quote]But she overdressed often, and it betrayed her insecurity.

Kitty Kelly wrote a bit about this in her biography. She said the Nancy really went overboard during their state visit to the UK. Her grooming and costuming took great effort. The ladies there made note of it, of course, because Nancy came across as very vain and immodest compared to the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 2911/18/2012

Good god that one shoulder thing is awful. Her titty top is scrunched out but her actual boobs seem to be about 2 inches above her bellybutton. I wonder what she looks like now? She looked 47 for about 40 years. I wonder if the rumors of her being addicted to speed are true? She certainly acted like it. Was too paranoid to make a move without an astrologer. She did hate the Bush family though but who could blame her after they tried to have Ronnie assassinated.

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012

Look at how much larger her head was than Ronnie's!!!

by Anonymousreply 3111/18/2012

No one touches Jackie when it comes to fashion. No American anyway.

One of the most ghastly things Nancy Reagan did was her redecoration of the Presidential bedroom. She had put up this horrid wallpaper of big black birds - flying and looking they were attacking. Right out of Hitchcock. Bizarre. How in the hell they slept in there, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 3211/18/2012

Her favorite leading man:

by Anonymousreply 3311/18/2012

Here's a picture of the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 3411/18/2012

[quote]She was no major beauty, even in her MGM days. I wonder why they signed her, she was very ordinary looking and had little glamour.

She could have been a "Father Knows Best" sort of TV frau. A movie star she wasn't, and even when she was put together well it was clear she was trying, trying, trying. Red suits and pussy-bow blouses.

Jackie Kennedy made it all look effortless.

I think Michelle Obama does it very well, too -- her looks are usually very good but not devastatingly chic or over-fussy. Jackie was the unattainable princess (which people liked), but Michelle's look is smart but not intimidating.

Plus both Jackie and Michelle weren't afraid to experiment with color, line and texture, and Nancy Reagan clung to the same cuts and silhouettes, almost always in red, like they were life preservers.

by Anonymousreply 3511/18/2012

Ummmm.... I don't know. You be the judge.

by Anonymousreply 3611/18/2012

I honestly think they loved each other, so I can't snark on that.

by Anonymousreply 3711/18/2012

They called eachother mommy and daddy. Snark on that.

by Anonymousreply 3811/18/2012

I don't like her. I don't think she was as beautiful as Jackie O. But I do think she was stylish. I still think she is. Compared to the frumpy way Roz Carter, Mrs. Bush I and II dress post-Presidency I think she's very stylish.

by Anonymousreply 3911/18/2012

She was incredibly ambitious and insecure, like so many wanna-bes in Hollywood. Nancy was never a great beauty, but she had presence and personality. She was "pleasant looking."

And as far as style, the bar is incredibly low for first ladies, Jackie notwithstanding. Nancy loved clothes and luxury and as the wife of the leader of the free world, aimed to be the best dressed woman in the room, if not the most beautiful.

Of course, her Hollywood standards never really flew in DC (the most unfashionable city in the US), and she was endlessly criticized for her vanity. But I think most people have no idea how much calculation and effort goes into image-making for most first ladies. Ask Laura Bush about her "wig room," for example.

by Anonymousreply 4011/18/2012

Jackie wasn't really stylish until the 1970s when loosened up a bit she started wearing the casual clothing of the day. She and her sister always looked at their most attractive when they were wearing pants and a sweater.

by Anonymousreply 4111/18/2012

The 60s Jackie wasn't stylish, R41? Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 4211/18/2012

Nancy Reagan dressed appropriately to her position without dressing drably. I liked the little red Adolfo suits and the white, one-shoulder dress. She occasionally overdressed. Generally, though, she looked pretty good.

How she obtained those outfits is another issue.

by Anonymousreply 4311/18/2012

The Sugarbaker sisters of Atlanta on Nancy's style:

"Julia, you've been ranting and raving about Ron and Nancy Reagan for nine years now, and I and the rest of the American people are sick of it!" argues Suzanne. "I remember when it all started, at their first inauguration. Nancy was wearing that over-the-shoulder white dress and a string of pearls, and she looked stunning. But Julia goes, 'I don't know what everyone's carrying on about! Wilma Flintstone's been wearing that outfit for years!'"

by Anonymousreply 4411/18/2012

But Jackie had MASSIVE hands and feet. Almost manlike. And larger than JFKs.

by Anonymousreply 4511/18/2012

You young people have to realize that until Jackie was First Lady, none of the others wore couture clothes or anything remotely fashionable. Think Eleanor Roosevelt, Bess Truman, Mamie Eisenhower! Ou Hoover for god sakes!!

It wouldn't even have been considered appropriate for them to dress with any expensive attention-getting flair.

None of them were even pretty. It just wasn't what being First Lady was about then.

And after Jackie there were Lady Bird, Pat, Betty, Rosalind and so forth.

So, yes, comparatively speaking, Nancy was stylish.

by Anonymousreply 4611/18/2012

She very much defined styles for the time: the big shoulderpads and the bright red she affected in her dresses and tops were both iconic for women in the 70s. She unfortunately had that weird 80s political matriarch hairstyle that everyone made fun of (Johnny carson in one of his monologies: "Did you hear about poor Nancy Reagan? She fell down yesterday, and broke her hair...")

by Anonymousreply 4711/19/2012

To me she looked like a shag-carpet real estate agent. A lot of 80s fashion was very corporate and Nancy Reagan worked that look too.

Such a vain woman and so mean to her children and staff. She would have trouble in politics today.

by Anonymousreply 4811/19/2012

She just looked like every other Southern California rich bitch. Actually, the old twat appeared much better as a hag than she did as a dumb, homely younger woman in her movies. TERRIBLE actress and unpleasant to look at. Once she discovered her inner bitch and felt secure in her power with the old lunatic she latched onto, he started settling into her Clubhouse Dragon Lady Look, which was an improvement.

That off-the-shoulder gown for the inauguration is the worst. The poster noting her oddly sagging-yet-anorexic appearance got it right.

by Anonymousreply 4911/19/2012

Having a large head for one's body is an asset for a movie star. Note how Nancy dominates that shot in R31's link. The list of movie stars with over-sized heads would go on and on. Charlie Chaplin and Eve Arden are the first two I can think of.

Of course Nancy was stylish. And of course she was a tax cheat. It doesn't matter if you return a designer gown. Once you are seen wearing it, you have gained nearly the full value of the item. Her unreported and untaxed income in millions of dollars' worth of designer dresses was an under-reported scandal.

First Ladies are damned if they do, as Mamie Eisenhower was for trying to look stylishly modern, and damned if they don't, as Bess Truman was for not caring about fashion. By the way, Lou Hoover cultivated a matronly image but she was always an impeccably well-dressed woman.

by Anonymousreply 5011/19/2012

R44 Same exact reference leapt to my mind when I saw that photo.

by Anonymousreply 5111/19/2012

Pat Nixon rocks the early 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 5211/19/2012

Actual caption:

"THRILL TO THE LARGEST COLLECTION of Pat Nixon’s elegant gowns and coats ever displayed."

by Anonymousreply 5311/19/2012

Is that Trisha Cox or Ann Romney?

by Anonymousreply 5411/19/2012

R44, I almost posted that myself. The first thing that popped in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 5511/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!