Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California officials announce closure of 70 state parks\\n\\n

State parks officials today announced the closure of 70 parks because of the state budget deficit, including the governor's mansion and the Stanford mansion in Sacramento.

Gov. Jerry Brown's January budget plan proposed reducing the state parks budget by $22 million. The Legislature in March approved $11 million in cuts to state parks and $10 million in cuts to off highway vehicle parks in the next fiscal year, with $22 million in cuts to state parks in future years.

The California State Parks System was directed to identify which parks would close based on attendance rates and historical significance. The department operates more than 270 state park units covering more than 1.4 million acres.

"We regret closing any park," Ruth Coleman, director of California State Parks, said in a statement. "But with the proposed budget reductions over the next two years, we can no longer afford to operate all parks within the system."

The department said service reductions will begin over the summer and closures will begin in September. All parks on the list are to be padlocked by July 1, 2012 under the current budget proposal. The cuts have not yet been signed by Gov. Jerry Brown, so a final list could grow or shrink based on the actions the Legislature takes to close the budget deficit.

Parks officials said they tried to protect the most significant cultural and natural resources, while maintaining the parks that provided the most public access and state revenue. In addition, the department intends to seek partnership agreements with local governments and non-profits in attempt to keep some of the parks open. They said 92 percent of total park attendance will be retained and 94 percent of existing revenues even with the closures.

Besides the recently renovated Stanford Mansion and the Governor's Mansion state historic parks, both in downtown Sacramento, the list includes Brannan Island State Recreation Area in Sacramento County and Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park and South Yuba River State Park in Nevada County.

Here's a full list of the closures from the parks department:

Anderson Marsh SHP

Annadel SP

Antelope Valley Indian Museum

Austin Creek SRA

Bale Grist Mill SHP

Benbow Lake SRA

Benicia Capitol SHP

Benicia SRA

Bidwell Mansion SHP

Bothe-Napa Valley SP

Brannan Island SRA

California Mining & Mineral Museum

Candlestick Point SRA

Castle Crags SP

Castle Rock SP

China Camp SP

Colusa-Sacramento River SRA

Del Norte Coast Redwoods SP

Fort Humboldt SHP

Fort Tejon SHP

Garrapata SP

George J. Hatfield SRA

Governor's Mansion SHP

Gray Whale Cove SB

Greenwood SB

Grizzly Creek Redwoods SP

Hendy Woods SP

Henry W. Coe SP

Jack London SHP

Jug Handle SNR

Leland Stanford Mansion SHP

Limekiln SP

Los Encinos SHP

Malakoff Diggins SHP

Manchester SP

McConnell SRA

McGrath SB

Mono Lake Tufa SNR

Morro Strand SB

Moss Landing SB

Olompali SHP

Palomar Mountain SP

Petaluma Adobe SHP

Picacho SRA

Pio Pico SHP

Plumas-Eureka SP

Point Cabrillo Light Station

Portola Redwoods SP

Providence Mountains SRA

Railtown 1897 SHP

Russian Gulch SP

Saddleback Butte SP

Salton Sea SRA

Samuel P. Taylor SP

San Pasqual Battlefield SHP

Santa Cruz Mission SHP

Santa Susana Pass SHP

Shasta SHP

South Yuba River SP

Standish-Hickey SRA

Sugarloaf Ridge SP

Tomales Bay SP

Tule Elk SNR

Turlock Lake SRA

Twin Lakes SB

Weaverville Joss House SHP

Westport-Union Landing SB

William B. Ide Adobe SHP

Woodson Bridge SRA

Zmudowski SB

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2011 1:01 AM

How can a state with such wealthy residents & high taxes possibly be BANKRUPT? It never ceases to blow my mind.

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2011 9:35 PM

R1? Are you clueless. For every wealthy Californian there are 100 poor Californians.

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2011 9:44 PM

This is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2011 10:06 PM

R2 You're right...I forgot all the illegals. MY BAD!

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2011 10:49 PM

Exactly R4. California is broke ass broke and that is not something that is going to change.

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2011 10:52 PM

John Muir is rolling in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 6May 13, 2011 11:04 PM

As long as they don't raise the TAXES on my 4-bedroom ranch-style with the double garage!

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2011 11:11 PM

Forget Prop 13 R7. We need to ensure that the fucking millionaires & billionaires who live here pay their fair share of taxes, along with the corporations.

There is something inherently wrong with a system when someone like me who doesn't even make $50k a year pays more in taxes than GE.

by Anonymousreply 8May 13, 2011 11:24 PM

Why is CA broke? The wealthy don't pay taxes, and neither do the poor, and the middle class is disappearing, so who is left to pay taxes.

by Anonymousreply 9May 13, 2011 11:26 PM

At least now there will be somewhere for the 40% of us who are out of work and the other 30% of us who are underemployed to set up our hobo camps. That's a lot of land. We can eat rattlesnakes.

by Anonymousreply 10May 13, 2011 11:31 PM

There are tons of retired people who would move into state parks in their airstreams and take care of the parks. Lots of states let them do it.

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2011 11:36 PM

"Why is CA broke? The wealthy don't pay taxes, and neither do the poor, and the middle class is disappearing, so who is left to pay taxes."%0D %0D That's one of the big reasons the Roman empire fell, the wealthy stopped paying taxes (and serving in the military), and the middle class was destroyed by the burden of paying all the taxes. Sound familiar?%0D

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2011 12:33 AM

Oh, the humanity!%0D %0D What will all the skeevy queens who troll the state parks, do now?%0D %0D I guess no more presentation of holes for you bitches in California!

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2011 12:37 AM

Actually R13, they plan on relocating to your state.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2011 12:40 AM

It's past time for the siezure of all assets for those who make more than $100,000.00. IF it doesn't happen soon then we need to instill a French style revolution in this country.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2011 4:25 PM

Couldn't Will Smith just sell his massive trailer, and use the proceeds to re-open about 70% of the parks?

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2011 4:35 PM

r7 nailed it. First, repeal Prop 13. Second, repeal the Prop system. Third, institute a tax program that treats everyone equitably.

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2011 4:39 PM

Bring back Helen Reddy. When she was head of the park service in California, they made money.

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2011 4:41 PM

I expect to see a long line of similar announcements. If you don't pay taxes you can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2011 4:41 PM

[quote]Why is CA broke? The wealthy don't pay taxes, and neither do the poor, and the middle class is disappearing, so who is left to pay taxes.

The top 1% of tax filers already pay 40% of the income taxes collected. The top 5% pay almost 90%. Yes, a lot of the top earners have tax loopholes, so that 40% and 90% would be higher if we closed some of them.

The fact is, though, that your contention that no one is left to pay taxes is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2011 4:43 PM

Want money? Declare war on the parks.

by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2011 4:48 PM

It's the capital gains taxes that need to be increased, not income taxes.

by Anonymousreply 22May 14, 2011 5:06 PM

How many octomoms are in California that the taxpayers are picking up the tab. Just who paid her medical bill, as she was on workmans comp and having that brood when she already had 6 and not married? Welfare state California did it to themselves. Get rid of all the illegals, is octomom even a citzen of the USA?

by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2011 5:19 PM

I didn't know what we had 70 parks. %0D %0D It's best to avoid wild animals anyway.%0D

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2011 5:36 PM

LTrammell on NPR

13 hours, 39 minutes ago

Maybe we should look at the big picture for a solution. We spend $7.7 billion in CA each year JUST to educate the children of illegal aliens. Here is a link to prove this - (see below). Now we should either make them pay when they register for school, or find a way to collect a "tax" for this and other services. That would mean registration of illegals and getting them to pay for the services that we pay for and they receive for nothing. That would go a LONG way in helping to balance the budget. These illegals get paid in American dollars and send a large portion back to Mexico. The president of Mexico came to see Obama about this and stated that about 25% of the money coming into Mexico comes from this and didn't want us to basically secure our border and return the illegals to Mexico. I don't believe that I could go to Mexico and not have to pay, yet receive free support. The question is DO YOU WANT YOUR CHILDREN TO SUFFER BECAUSE OF ILLEGALS OR DO YOU WANT THEM TO HAVE THE QUALITY EDUCATION THAT ALL AMERICANS PAY FOR!!!! Governor Brown, wake up and smell the roses or they will turn to compost.... CA residents should support this kind of solution. If not, then they deserve the inevitable outcome and just accept it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2011 6:00 PM

Wow. As a native Californian and having lived there 40 years, I've camped at more than a few of those sites. That is really sad.

by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2011 6:18 PM

this is shitty news. the parks and the beauty in CA is the only thing left I actually enjoy. I'll join you R10.

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2011 6:21 PM

[quote] It's best to avoid wild animals anyway.%0D %0D Maybe they'll stop killing mountain lions who like to snack on park joggers.%0D %0D It's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 28May 14, 2011 6:22 PM

Why don't they charge admission fees set up to cover the expenses of the parks?

by Anonymousreply 29May 14, 2011 6:25 PM

who's going to work there and collect them R29?

by Anonymousreply 30May 14, 2011 6:31 PM

They do charge at some of those parks.

And they are collected by rangers.

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2011 6:32 PM

THE PARK IS CLOSED

A Falcon Film

Starring Brock Masters as The Ranger.

by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2011 6:36 PM

Well, that's my point: Raise the entrance fees enough to cover the costs of park maintenance and the rangers' salaries.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2011 6:36 PM

Parks, schmarks.

The whole TOWN of Pine Valley is being closed!!

by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2011 6:39 PM

Some parks in Florida have toll-takers who are living in their vacation trailers in the campground. They get a break on camping fees by working as volunteers for a certain amount of hours each week.

by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2011 7:14 PM

Californians couldn't afford the gas to drive to the parks anyway, so this will work out well for them.

by Anonymousreply 36May 14, 2011 7:41 PM

r25 - this isn't Storm Front so fuck off.%0D %0D Stop calling them illegal aliens.

by Anonymousreply 37May 14, 2011 8:46 PM

It isn't just that Prop 13 is for a current long-term home owner. That same tax break is also handed down to his/her children. Absurd. I know people who can't wait to move back into their parents homes after they (the parents)die: not only the house is inherited, but also inherited is that real estate tax bill of maybe a few hundred dollars. I just learned about this a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2011 9:45 PM

Why oh why did Spain have to colonize Mexico? If the British had done it we would have another Canada to the south of us. What a wasted opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 39May 14, 2011 10:30 PM

Oh, r39, don't you know yet that WE'RE Canada's Mexico?

by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2011 10:51 PM

Visit poor Belize and then you'll know what a British Mexico would have been like...

by Anonymousreply 41May 14, 2011 11:53 PM

Is Magic Mountain on the list?

Sent from my iPhone

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2011 12:14 AM

[quote] I didn't know what we had 70 parks.

We have more than 70. That's just the ones that are closing.

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2011 12:56 AM

Close them all! Send me my rebate check.

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2011 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!