Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever seen a little kid and thought, ''that kid is gay.''

For instance you're at a friend's house and you notice that their son or daughter may exhibit some, what you assume to be, gay tendancies.%0D %0D Do you ever mention it to the parents or to anyone else? Or do you just let it play out on its own and not say anything.

by Anonymousreply 72February 22, 2019 7:15 AM

Yes, good friends' third son. He must be about nine years old now.%0D %0D Have not discussed it with his parents but have with mutual gay friends (male) and straight (female) who feel the same. %0D %0D Time will tell. He'll certainly have lots of gay "uncles" to talk to if and when he comes out.

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2011 4:21 AM

No. We just thought he was a "sissy." When I was in elementary school, there was a very effeminate boy named "Richard." He only hung around with girls and during recess he played jump rope with them. Even at the age of 8, he was a flamer -- did the whole hand thing and the way he walked and spoke.

When you're that young, you don't think about gay, because that would imply sexuality. He was just a sissy to us.

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2011 4:28 AM

Is OP Rumpy? Because he posted a thread about telling one of the professors at his job that her kid was gay.%0D %0D You absolutely do not discuss it with the parents, unless they bring up the subject with you. I think it is premature to guess on a little kid's sexuality; it's probably more projection on your part.

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2011 4:29 AM

Yes. My cousin's eldest son.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2011 4:36 AM

I thought it must be Rumpy too R3. It seems like the kind of socially "awkward" thing he might do.

I myself would of course notice it if they reminded me of my own behavior (for the males). Similar to the sissy behavior mentioned by R2. But I would never dream of saying anything to the parents for the simple fact that you have no idea how the kid will turn out.

Some sissies are gay, some of sissies are straight. Some butch boys are straight, some butch boys are gay. Ya never know.

by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2011 4:39 AM

I TEACH kids, so yes, I see this

by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2011 4:44 AM

I think this boy might be...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2011 5:05 AM

Don't say anything to the parents, even if you think it's an excellent observation. Parents just don't want to hear anything sexual orientationish about their kids. Even if they're open-minded and cool with gays, don't say anything. Discuss it with friends -not the parents.

by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2011 5:11 AM

WHY would you mention something like this to a child's parents? How tactless and selfish. It's positively none of your business, unless the parents come to you about it. Otherwise, doing so would only reinforce the negative stereotype that there's something "wrong" with a child not behaving within their gender's "normal" boundaries. Mind your own business.

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2011 5:42 AM

I had a parent ask me if I thought her son is gay. The woman is a work colleague of a friend who I had met a couple of times. I think she was genuinely trying to find out if her son is gay and how she should respond to that.%0D %0D The kid just started junior high and seemed to me to be gay, gay, gay when I met him.%0D %0D I didn't tell her that, though. I said that it's impossible to say and that it doesn't really matter. I told her to just make sure he knows that she loves him and supports him no matter who he is and whatever his path in life. %0D %0D Then I told my friend that the kid was the biggest queen I'd ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2011 6:12 AM

Ths boy: gay and future drag Queen%0D %0D Very obvous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2011 6:27 AM

i have a 6 year old niece that for the last 2 years ive gotten a lesbian vibe from and also its like she can also sense that i am different just like her. I have not told anyone in my family much less her parents. She is a strong and very assertive girl- never takes no for an answer. Completely ignores societies gender roles- she hates pink, wears her hair in a ponytail, loves to play with her male cousins and totally ignores her female cousins.

Has a healthy appetite and is growing tall for her age. Part of me hopes and wishes that if she does turn out to be a lesbian that she is a lipstick one rather than a butch one.

I think to myself - "at least she wont be a teen mother"

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2011 6:36 AM

I used to babysit for this kid who I could tell would grow up to be gay. I was shocked one day when I was watching MTV's Spring Break (where they show all the kids partying at the beach) and the kid pointed at the TV screen and said, "He's sexy!" He couldn't have been more than seven or eight years old. Then on another occasion he had ripped out the men's underwear section from some catalogue and had it in his room. I asked him if his mother knew he had that and he said yes.

It was weird...I saw a lot of myself in that kid. He had a little brother about two years younger than him, and they couldn't have been more different. The younger brother always wanted to throw balls around and play rough...the older boy just wanted to draw pictures of horses or play on the piano. Sure enough, he turned out gay (confirmed via Facebook). VERY gay, I might add.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2011 6:37 AM

One of my cousins has a son who pinged my gaydar at about 4 y/o. He's grown now, and out.

by Anonymousreply 14May 10, 2011 6:58 AM

Yes, a friend's 6 year old son. Fave colour is pink, loves watching fashion shows, plays with My Lil Ponies, loves shopping with his mom and picking out dresses for her etc. Unfortunately, he has a homophobic stoner idiot for a dad.

by Anonymousreply 15May 10, 2011 7:09 AM

Yes. It's only happened once but my neighbors' youngest son (of 4 kids) seemed like a complete flamer from when he was 3-4 years old. I don't know for a fact that he is (he should be about 30 now) because we live in different places now but if I ever find out he's not, it will be the greatest surprise of my life.

by Anonymousreply 16May 10, 2011 10:20 AM

Yes, my 12 year old nephew.

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2011 10:28 AM

I have ... many times.

by Anonymousreply 18May 10, 2011 8:17 PM

Kids are very cute when they don't have these guarded walls up that are supposed to prevent them from making fools of themselves in the eyes of others.

I wittnessed a lot of kids who had flaming tendencies to practically change overnight into different persons who go out of their ways to fit in with the rowdy straight crowd.

Maybe that will change some day.

by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2011 8:25 PM

Was at a wedding standing with my hommies, when this little boy asked if we wanted to dance with him. When we said "No", he then said "Do you want to kiss me?" %0D %0D I thought it was a joke, but this kid was serious. Surprised that kids can be so precocious at such a young age.

by Anonymousreply 20May 10, 2011 8:28 PM

Don't know if that Apple kid is gay, but he sure is a cool kid.

by Anonymousreply 21May 10, 2011 8:31 PM

My oldest nephew. He's 12, very creative, and has absolutely no interest in sports. I babysat for him a couple of years ago. I'm hardly the biggest jock in the world, but I thought we'd go outside and play catch. He would have none of that, preferring to "play with my dollies." He loves to help my sister out in the kitchen, so she bought him one of those Fisher Price bake sets last Chanukah. I have no doubt he is gay. I'm a little worried, because my sister is extremely religious (Orthodox Jewish). She tolerates me, but not sure how she and her fanatical husband will take the news.

by Anonymousreply 22May 10, 2011 8:39 PM

Your nephew is 12 and still referring to his toys as "dollies"?

by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2011 8:45 PM

My friends James and Tracy have one son . He puts on fashion shows in their living room (in cooperation with several girls from his fourth grade class), he reads us original poetry, sets the table and knows where the salad fork goes, gets very anal about color coordination in his clothes and has refused to go to school because of a bad hair day. If you ask James or Tracy "Hey you think Jim is going to grow up to be gay?" they respond with "We already joined PFLAG."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2011 8:46 PM

R22, a friend of mine went through something very similar. His sister and her husband blamed him for being a bad, gay influence on their son. I hope that doesn't happen with you.

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2011 8:46 PM

A cousin who I hadn't spoken to in years came up to me at a family reunion and asked me if I thought his son was gay, when I asked him which kid it was, he pointed to a little boy on the dance floor with both arms waving in the air dancing with a bunch of his girl cousins to Hot Stuff.

by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2011 8:50 PM

Much like several posters before me, I saw this thread during primetime last night and though "yeah, I think that, but I don't mention it to their parents because i'm not Rumpy." This past Christmas I went over to my dad's family's house to discover that my youngest cousin is very funny, very smart, and a ridiculously obvious seven-year-old budding queen; I got a kick out of all of this but only discussed the latter with my sister on the car ride home.

by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2011 8:51 PM

Yes, and if I know the parents at all, I usually "out" the kid to his family. It's for his own good: the sooner, the better.

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2011 8:55 PM

Let's go beat him up, R23!

by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2011 8:56 PM

r23, if you'll re-read my post, you'll see that he said that a couple of years ago.%0D %0D %0D r25, it's a tricky situation. We didn't grow up religious. My sister became very Orthodox when she married. He's totally fanatical. Just a very grim, angry, judgmental person, as I've found many Orthodox people to be. I know my sister has this internal struggle between her secular upbringing and her current religious life. My being gay brought all of her issues to the fore. I love her to death, but frankly that's a problem she needs to deal with. I have no doubt she'll try to be accepting of her son, if he does turn out to be gay, but my brother-in-law is the one I fear can do the most damage.

by Anonymousreply 30May 10, 2011 9:02 PM

I work for two attorneys whose 11 year old son has been in ballet for years and loves to knit and crochet as a hobby, amongst other things. Of course I need my job so I wouldn't say a thing.

by Anonymousreply 31May 10, 2011 9:02 PM

"I work for two attorneys whose 11 year old son has been in ballet for years and loves to knit and crochet as a hobby, amongst other things. Of course I need my job so I wouldn't say a thing."%0D %0D Say anything like what? "By the way, your son is gay, grass is green, and water is wet"?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 32May 10, 2011 9:06 PM

I have a friend who told me that her 5 year old son loves to draw "princesses" and that he was going through his princess phase (e.g. movies, books, etc). She uses words like sensitive and artistic to describe him. I never met her son, but I have seen pictures. I have absolutely NO doubt that her child is a sister. However, the funniest part to me is that she seems to have absolutely no clue about her son. I just keep my mouth shut on this one. She'll discover the truth at some point down the road.

by Anonymousreply 33May 10, 2011 9:09 PM

This thread is priceless. My partner has 2 nephews (brothers), the oldest one has been known to freak out over his hair but other than that seems to be straight. The younger one likes sports, but isn't all that good and would rather cook and dance if he had to choose. He's also pretty and gets called faggot at school. Luckily the parents are supportive of him.%0D %0D r24...James and Tracy deserve a hug

by Anonymousreply 34May 10, 2011 9:11 PM

When I was 6 and looked in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2011 9:13 PM

I don't know if this boy is gay or not but he is very talented.%0D %0D His wish is to performed in broadway!%0D %0D Here is his wonderful Legally Blonde cover of So Much Better! Amazing! A star is born!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2011 9:13 PM

Here's another one from this kid! He really really wants to be in a broadway show!%0D We should help him out!%0D %0D Here's his The Wiz cover of "Home"%0D %0D What a prodigy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2011 9:16 PM

Yes. And I always think what a tough road the kid is going to have in this world where society is still so homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2011 9:17 PM

my nephew was hanging out with a few friends; my mom asked one of them what he was looking forward to about his trip to NYC and the kid, 15, says, 'the shopping.'%0D %0D I said to her later, what kid thinks about shopping? She got this look over her face like, "oh, people see what they want to, I guess. you'r right."%0D

by Anonymousreply 39May 10, 2011 9:23 PM

A good friend of mine has an 8 year old son who gives off a serious vibe. The friend is right-wing, a Catholic, and has "issues" with feminism and gay marriage. We should all check in on this thread in 5-10 and see if our predications are correct.

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2011 9:35 PM

My nephew (8) is in a princess phase. He threw a positive tizzy fit at Christmas because he wanted his sister's Disney princess stuff instead of the Mickey Mouse watch he got. He did recover in time to make a nice centerpiece for the holiday table, however.%0D %0D I think his parents are just hoping it's a passing thing that will run its course.%0D

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2011 9:35 PM

Why is that all the kids that everyone suspects are gay sound like flamers?

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2011 9:41 PM

I always ask the kid if he's a top or a bottom. Not because I'm being helpful. Just nosey.

by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2011 9:44 PM

36, 37 that kid is awesome and also very very gay.

by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2011 11:00 PM

R11. Love Trevor. Thanks. Love that everyone in the store is oblivious.

by Anonymousreply 45May 11, 2011 1:07 AM

I have 3 nephews who are brothers. The youngest was playing one of those baseball video games. When he commented on how clear the groin area of the game players were, that clinched it for.

by Anonymousreply 46May 11, 2011 1:45 AM

My best friend's nephew is totally gay. At age 10 he wanted to perform a Hannah Montana song at his school's talent. He's 13 now and still loves to put on a show, he's moved on to Pink and Lady Gaga. Last summer he had the whole family watch a performance he put on in his basement. He's a sweet kid and whenever I see him I just want to give him a hug.

by Anonymousreply 47May 11, 2011 2:53 AM

A couple of years ago I was at a local independent bookstore that has lots of comfortable chairs so you can sit and read all day if you want to. I was sitting near the gay and lesbian magazine section. A family is wandering around and their 6-ish year old boy happened to see one of the gay mags which had a cover of a cute shirtless guy. That kid stared at that picture for a long time. I remember making a wish for that kid that if he is gay that he has an easier time handling it than I did.

by Anonymousreply 48May 11, 2011 3:06 AM

Mark Indelicato on Ugly Betty%0D %0D Danny Pintauro on Who's the Boss

by Anonymousreply 49May 11, 2011 3:13 AM

Yes, one of my nephews. He's seven and really particular about his clothes and his hair. He also loves to pose in our family photos like he's Heidi Klum or something. He's a sweet kid, but I've noticed him trying to hug other little boys and they're not to keen on letting him. My brother will be cool about it because he's cool about me and the kid already likes some of the movies I liked at that age. He can't get enough Annie, Mary Poppins, and Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 50May 11, 2011 5:38 AM

I used to work at Disney for a couple years in the late 90's and I would occasionally see little boys with Minnie Mouse ears on or Princess autograph books and pens. Although, one time I did see a little lesbian. She was dressed as Hercules. When I acknowledged her, she pounded her chest and bellowed "I'm Hercules."

by Anonymousreply 51May 11, 2011 5:41 AM

R51's story is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 52February 2, 2015 5:38 AM

My bosses son(9 years old) seemed very gay when I first started at my office 8 years ago. He gravitated towards the openly gay office manager. I was convinced he was gay. He now has a GF and his queenish ways have kind of disappeared He could still be gay, but you never know.

by Anonymousreply 53February 2, 2015 5:46 AM

Shiloh Jolie-Pitt

by Anonymousreply 54February 2, 2015 5:49 AM

Yeah, and the parents were homophobes too. The dad is a big fat fortysomething Obama hating slob and the mother is a right wing Fox News loving bitch.

The seven year old kid is effeminate and sensitive. Loves dancing and music, and likes hanging out with little girls more than little boys, which the parents take as an early sign that he's a ladies man. LOL.

(No idea if he will turn out gay, but it would not surprise me)

by Anonymousreply 55February 2, 2015 5:53 AM

That kid Farkle on "Girl Meets World." It's ludicrous he's made out to be a wanna-be player who has the hots for the two girls.

by Anonymousreply 56February 2, 2015 5:58 AM

[quote] "Was at a wedding standing with my hommies, when this little boy asked if we wanted to dance with him. When we said "No", he then said "Do you want to kiss me?" I thought it was a joke, but this kid was serious. Surprised that kids can be so precocious at such a young age."

Did he look like this at you at the reception, R20?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 2, 2015 5:59 AM

My coworkers son. She's always raving about how he loves playing with dolls and wearing girl clothes. Even worse, the poor kid's name is Rueben. He doesn't have a chance.

by Anonymousreply 58February 2, 2015 8:14 AM

I used to teach second grade. There was one boy one year who was so clearly gay, he broke my heart. I never mentioned this directly to his parents, but in conferences I would often remark how sensitive their son was and how they should always be emotionally supportive of him and let him know, in no uncertain terms, that they love him.

by Anonymousreply 59February 2, 2015 11:39 AM

Yes, gay but not sexual. I have been gay since at least 5, but I didn't feel sexual attraction to males until about 13. Still, most any parents don't like to think about their child being gay or sexual. Even though really young straight attraction is encouraged. Cute. Grooming for later years.

by Anonymousreply 60February 2, 2015 11:59 AM

I think this guy is-I can watch this a 100 times and still laugh my ass off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 2, 2015 12:04 PM

Frankly, yes.

by Anonymousreply 62February 2, 2015 12:08 PM

Yep. At my cousin's wedding, I met his 11-year-old cousin who gave me the highest gaydar reading I got from a kid since Chad Allen had a recurring role on [italic]Webster[/italic]. I even made a bet with my Mom he'd turn out gay, and it's still standing.

by Anonymousreply 63February 2, 2015 12:48 PM

I was at a baby shower a few weeks ago with a (fellow lesbian) friend and we were watching this little boy interacting in a group with some little girls. They all would have been about nine/ten years old and were all animatedly discussing the chocolate cake; the little boy, gesticulating dramatically, exclaimed that he only wanted a small piece because he was 'worried about his weight' (the kid was skinny like a stick). As his friends reassured him of his non-obeseness, my friend and I exchanged knowing glances.

I've known this kid since he was about 5 and seen him sporadically at parties with that circle of friends over the years. This is the first ping for me. And I hate to play to stereotypes with the above example because of course it's more than just having seen him interact like that, but it's just... You know, don't you? You just know. My concern is that he's from a very cloistered culture that will most definitely frown upon him maybe being gay (I have an adult friend from this same culture who has to pretend to have a girlfriend when he's back in his home country), but since the family now lives here in a western country, he may have a bit of freedom to be himself, and I really, really hope that's the case.

by Anonymousreply 64February 2, 2015 12:56 PM

I'm pretty sure that one of these kids will grow up to be FABULOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 2, 2015 1:01 PM

Although I was several years younger I got a weird vibe from watching Jonathan on Who’s the Boss? I was like maybe 6 or 7 and knew something was different about him. Anybody watch the PBS morning show Biz Kid$? I got it so right with the youngest boy on the show, maybe black or half black, he I think was barely going through puberty when the show ended but I picked up on it right away. His smile,voice and mannerisms totally gave it away . I think his real name is Devin or Devon. He now has a boyfriend and is gogo dancing at many gay clubs in I think Washington. Plucks his eyebrows, loves Gaga, just a giant queen and proud of it. I think his name was Derrick on Full House, so obvious, no surprise there. The one I got wrong was Mark from Home Improvement :( Ironically he was the only kid on the show NOT rumored to be gay. He married some flower child lady twice his age and I think he’s gone vegan and now I don’t get that gay vibe at all that I got when he was on HP. He was really scrawny but not in a twinkish way, more malnourished and pasty in a neo hippie type way.

by Anonymousreply 66February 21, 2019 8:18 AM

my nephew (by marriage). I was sure he was gay when he was about 8, then by 14 he was moderating a forum for "bronies". Now he is 26 and in a relationship with a girl who is obsessed with Disney princesses. I still think he is gay but just afraid to get out of the closet. He's not happy and it's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 67February 21, 2019 8:25 AM

[quote]Yes, good friends' third son. He must be about nine years old now.

Well, now he's old enough to buy cigarettes, r1.

by Anonymousreply 68February 21, 2019 8:47 AM

Heeeeeeeeeeeere's Blake!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 21, 2019 12:29 PM

Nick Jonas as Gavroche

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 21, 2019 12:31 PM

This kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2019 7:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 22, 2019 7:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!