Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does the Sound of a Person Chewing Gum Drive You Crazy?

I mean, to the point you want to punch your first into a wall? I just found out it has a name: Misophonia

by Anonymousreply 8503/04/2015

Hmm I've heard of people hating when people chew gum, the guy I'm dating now is one of them, but not specifically the sound of it.

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2011

Chewing gum in any social situation = the very definition of trailer trash.

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2011

I had a coworker who constantly popped and smacked her chewing gum. The noise was so loud people on my phone could hear her. Everyone wore headphones to muffle the sound. %0D %0D When someone complained, she told HR she had to chew gum for health reasons, and that was that. We all celebrated when she transferred to another department.%0D %0D A month later she was replaced by a woman who munched ice cubes.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2011

Thanks, OP. Now I have a "condition" to take to HR!

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2011

No, but I hate to see people chewing gum. It's nasty.

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2011

I have it. Didn't know it was an "it" 'til now. Really wish I didn't. Especially since it seems like gum-chewers always manage to have to sit next to me wherever I go. I think it's like cats - how they always gravitate to the allergic.

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2011

I agree about ice chewers.%0D %0D What really grosses me out is popping knuckles. %0D 2nd runner up... my boss clipping his fingernails in the office. Why on earth would you do that at the office.

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2011

I'm always flabbergasted when I see an attractive seemingly intelligent person, male or female (usually female) start chomping,smacking slurping and sucking on a wad of gum, and they plummet from attractive and seemingly intelligent to annoying ignorant cows. Some people can keep up the cow act non-stop for hours.

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2011

The sound of gum-chewing is worse than fingers down a chalkboard. I also hate the sound of whistling and humming.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2011

ok, the gum thing... at times I do chew gum. i don't smack.%0D %0D I am a former smoker. I know it sounds odd.. but it helps at craving time, even years later.

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2011

Doesn't bother me nearly as much as the sound of someone clipping their nails.

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2011

God I have this so bad. Makes me insane. Closely followed by the sound of people who slam the shit out of their keyboards when they type.

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2011

People who clip nails in public are disgusting.%0D %0D Gum chewing? I actually like the sound. Don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2011

Only if they do it with their mouth open or constantly pop it.

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2011

I don't care about people chewing gum in the least. At least they're not smoking. And people do all kinds of things to relieve stress. Some people use worry beads, some people stretch, some people turn their necks from side to side. If it relieves their stress and helps them cope, that's fine with me. better that than some person freaking out or being mean.

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2011

Chewing anything with one's mouth open is pretty gross.

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2011

awwww, you sound like a very lovely person r17.%0D %0D r15, I love that you like the sound of chewing gum. It's just funny. Never heard that.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2011

Yes! And lip-smacking or people who chew with their mouths wide open. I don't like slobbery mouth sounds unless I'm receiving a blow-job.

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2011

Doesn't it seem like chewing ice would be bad for your teeth?

by Anonymousreply 2105/08/2011

If they pop their gum. I've never heard men do it, just cube fraus. Thankfully I now work from home the majority of time but if I have to go in, I have my headphones on a high volume. BTW, I worked with a woman who claimed she popped gum because of her wisdom teeth surgery. Really.

by Anonymousreply 2205/08/2011

Probably 21, but according to dentists, what ISN'T bad for your teeth?

by Anonymousreply 2305/08/2011

4 out of 5 dentists recommend sugarless gum

by Anonymousreply 2405/08/2011

For their patients who chew gum.

by Anonymousreply 2505/08/2011

Yeah well any beverage that isn't non-carbonated water is bad for your teeth. And fruit. Cough drops. Juice. Bread.

If I avoided everything that's supposed to be bad for my teeth and did every thing the dentist told me to do... my whole life would be tooth oriented.

by Anonymousreply 2605/08/2011

Whistling drives me crazy. WTF do people have to impose their shrill sounds on others?%0D

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2011

I cannot stand to hear the sound of a graphite pencil writing. I can tolerate a mechanical pencil, but I pretty much always did my math homework in pen when I was in school.

by Anonymousreply 2805/09/2011

r28, you have great hearing..

by Anonymousreply 2905/09/2011

Thanks OP, cuz I used to think I was being irrational. You know, with wanting to slap the gum chewer and all. Seriously. I think it just shows an utter lack of class when someone chews gum in public like they are a cow chewing on cud.

by Anonymousreply 3005/09/2011

I also don't like people breathing on my food or drinks. I avoid buffets.

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2011

I also like it when people lightly lick their fingers to turn pages. I have never done that in my life, but I find there's is something oddly comforting about watching someone else do it. I also like the sounds if dishwashers and washing machines.

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2011

I don't so much care about gum chewing unless there is smacking involved. Smacking and popping gum is an aggressive, hostile act. I think people who do it know that it irritates everyone and they do it anyway hoping for a confrontation. Or they do it gleefully knowing others WON'T confront them but will silently seeth with annoyance. From my experience, loud gum smackers are mostly black women with an attitude.

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2011

I also hate the sound of water dripping.

So that's gum-chewing, whistling, humming and water dripping so far. And the nail clipping sound, too. Even when I clip my own nails, I try to muffle the sounds as much as possible, I just hate it so much.

Oh, and mouth-breathers. That also drives me nuts. Some people have to do that, though, so can't hate on them.

by Anonymousreply 3405/09/2011

Wait, someone else is smacking, chewing with his or her mouth open, attacking his food like a rabid wolf, and not liking to have to listen to it (or see the food swirling around like a front-loading washing machine) is MY disorder?

by Anonymousreply 3505/09/2011

Some of you people wouldn't have survived childhood in a Third World country.

by Anonymousreply 3605/09/2011

Who'd want to R36?

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2011

waiting. at jiffy lube. in a booth. with an old man. retired sneakers. baseball cap. cheesy apps blaring on an exhausted cell phone. him smacking the hell out of that rubbery cud. his arrogant chewing expression begging to be humbled.

by Anonymousreply 3805/20/2011

Used to work with a woman who would smack gum and then blow a bubble and suck it back up, over and over again. I could have literally shot her and not felt bad.

by Anonymousreply 3905/20/2011

I hate standing in line or sitting on a bus and the person behind you is chewing gum like its a piece of steak, I just want to turn round and slap them. One of my pet peeves its rude and disgusting all rolled into one.

by Anonymousreply 4005/20/2011

gum smacking is just gross, and blowing bubbles past the age of 10 is just ludicrus. I can't stand nail clippers either and told my roomate to take it to his room or the bathroom (we were watching t.v. and he started it,,so I told him) another is eating with the mouth open or making noises like smacking..quel horror

by Anonymousreply 4105/20/2011

I feel so validated.

by Anonymousreply 4205/20/2011

There is this one girl at work who chews like a cow for hours on end... smacking and popping her gum. She must have chompers like the jaws of life from all that exercise! It sounds really disgusting and I dread working with her. I also found out that she doesn't wash her hands after sitting on the toilet...BIG surprise!

by Anonymousreply 4408/15/2011

The sound of someone popping their gum, especially in an office setting is beyong irritating! I think it's extremely rude and i dont understand why people think everyone else around them wants to hear the constant smacking and popping. This manager in my office, while i think she's a great person is one of the worst gum popping offenders... she'll do it WHILE she's talking to you. The sound makes my body cringe in pain. Her desk is 15 feet away from mine but her popping is so incredibly loud it is as if she's right behind my ear... And she does it every 5 seconds i swear...ugh. i hate it!

by Anonymousreply 4508/29/2012

So it's any repetitive sound per Wiki: then I have it for people dribbling basketballs while walking and for hovering helicopters. Drives me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4608/29/2012

How do you make them stop??

by Anonymousreply 4709/01/2012

I have a couple of questions for those of you who are annoyed by these types of noises. Do you consider your hearing normal or better than normal?

Do soundtracks/laugh tracks sometimes annoy you too? I really wish there was a mute button for some of them...like the laugh tracks for sit-coms and the background music on many of the HGTV shows.

by Anonymousreply 4809/01/2012

I cannot tolerate the sound of people eating wheat.

by Anonymousreply 4909/01/2012

Or the sound of babies breast feeding...

by Anonymousreply 5009/02/2012

Being around blacks, gays and Mexicans.

by Anonymousreply 5109/02/2012

You mean like this, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5209/02/2012

OP, I cannot stand gum chewing. Cannot stand seeing people chewing gum.

I think it is a rude habit, terrible to watch, and makes them look like ignorant imbeciles and cows.

And those who really work their jaws in excessive motion or open their mouths while chewing gum have terrible manners and appear ignorant.

I noticed a good number of delegates at the National Republican Convention this week were chewing gums and wracking their jaws in motion while seated during the speeches.

by Anonymousreply 5309/02/2012

I can't even describe the feeling I get when I see someone chew gum, not to mention, if I hear them!!! It is gross and offensive to chew gum in public and people, who chew gum can't imagine what it is like for people like me, who hate gum so much. I can't go out of my house without hearing someone smack bubbles or open their mouth, so that all their insides are visible. Imagine, if every person on a bus started scratching a chalk board.... that would drive most people insane. Well, it is the same for me and chewing gum, except that when I get on a bus, every other person really IS chewing gum. I can't walk on the street or ride any form of public transport without music in my ears because of this... It is really annoying and very very stressful! I hope, someday, every person, who has ever teased me with gum can experience, what I experience every day of my life. No offense. Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 5409/09/2012

i like chewing myself its fine but when someone else is chewing and im not i hate it especially if its right in my ear!!!!!!!!! I LOVE JAHNIKA CHADWICK

by Anonymousreply 5511/21/2012

What drive's me insane is people making sucking noises with their teeth after they've eaten. That has made me want to slap said person silly. To me that's way worse than gum chewing. The other sound that freaks me out is people swallowing loudly while they drink--that glug, glug, glug sound. It has only occurred to me after I heard Kelly Ripa talk about it on her show that I may actually have misophonia too. In my case it's pretty circumscribed. Doesn't tooth sucking bother everyone??

by Anonymousreply 5611/22/2012

You know how people have these little habits that get you down? Like Ernie. Ernie liked to chew gum. No, no chew... POP! So I came home this one day (and I am really irritated) and I'm looking for a little bit of sympathy, and there's Ernie layin' on the couch, drinkin' a beer, and chewin'. No, not chewing... POPPIN'! So I said to him, I said, 'You pop that gum one more time...' and he did. So I took the shotgun off the wall and fired three warning shots... into his head!

by Anonymousreply 5711/22/2012

It drives me nuts sometimes when I'm in a movie theater and I become aware of everyone eating popcorn. Their smacking sounds as they eat really can bug if I tune into it.

However, I realize people have a perfect right to eat popcorn in a movie theater (unlike some nutty control freak dataloungers, who pop a gasket at the idea and want everyone completely silent like they're at the fucking Festspielhaus in Bayreuth when they're watching "Knocked Up" at the Regal multiplex).

by Anonymousreply 5811/22/2012

Can someone explain why so many people must chew gum? What is it exactly that motivates them to do this low class, cow chewing cud-like activity?

by Anonymousreply 5911/22/2012

This entire thread rates a huge MARY!

When I was in school I had a job in a real estate office. It wasn't in the greatest location and I was alone most of the time with a lot of cash because we managed properties. It always made me a little nervous.

One of the partners, a very quiet loner, would come in and work on the accounts when no one else was around. He always chewed gum, and he cracked it. It became a comforting sound to me because it meant I wasn't alone.

by Anonymousreply 6011/22/2012

I don't even notice when people chew gum. When I was growing up, people smoked everywhere. I mean everywhere. Why would I notice gum chewing when places used to smell like shit from the stinky cigar butts old men used to chew on and spit out? And spitting was another common thing. Right on the street. Hacking and spewing various colored gobs of mucus.

I also lived in NYC during the homeless years. You couldn't walk two blocks without being tripped by some bum lying on the sidewalk or someone bugging you for money. If you didn't live through it, you can't imagine what it was like.

Then there was crime. Mugging, random face-punching. Cars constantly broken into for radios. I had a one month old car stolen within 45 minutes one day. I used to look out the window at night and watch people steal cars. Sure, I called the police at first. A cruiser would show up an hour and a half later, when the cars were on I-95, heading south.

Then there was "wilding," which was real. I lived near an express subway stop. The gangs would run up the subway stairs, onto the streets and into a shop, steal jackets, sneakers, small electronics, run back down the stairs and be on the next subway before the storekeepers knew what happened..

You would welcome gum chewing or knuckle popping if you lived through those things.

Honestly, no wonder you people are put on so many drugs by your psychiatrists.

by Anonymousreply 6111/22/2012

In a word: No

by Anonymousreply 6211/23/2012

It drives me fucking insane. There is a guy siting a seat over from me on the bus at this very moment slurping and chewing on some gum without a care in the world. Why did i forget my headphones. Want to lash out

by Anonymousreply 6301/12/2013

I swear to God someday I'm going to snap if I hear another fucking teenager snaping her gum on a mother loving bus or something or some disgusting old man who can't keep his mouth shut when chomping away. An aluminum baseball bat should do the trick...

by Anonymousreply 6407/30/2013

Freakin' wind chimes drive me right up the wall. I can put up with "normal" city sounds: traffic; pedestrians; jet traffic, etc. But wind chimes, there's no reason for it. It's just unnecessary noise. I can hear them all night long. I've stolen a few that were a bit too close for comfort.

by Anonymousreply 6507/30/2013

a buddy of mine SMACKS his gum, I fear b/c he's so angry at the world.

I want to hug him, but...he gets weird about that which IS weird b/c he's 100% straight.

by Anonymousreply 6607/30/2013

It can do. Whistling is the worst.. anything high pitched like kids screaming in shops.

by Anonymousreply 6707/30/2013

Chewing gum is a very vulgar, uncouth thing to do. Only the lower class ignorant ill-bred, ill-mannered would do such a thing.

WE who are superior to the peasant peons of society wouldn't think of engaging in such a morally offensive act.

by Anonymousreply 6807/30/2013

Hate the sound of someone chewing gum. What I hate even more is stepping in a huge wad of it that someone just spit out on the ground, as I did today. Who does that?! Really, you're too lazy to put your gum in the trash or spit it into a napkin? Could you at least try to give two shits about being a member of a SOCIETY that includes other people?!

by Anonymousreply 6907/30/2013

I used to work with someone who would chomp on gum and then blow a bubble and slurp it back up over and over again.

I wanted to strangle her.

by Anonymousreply 7007/30/2013

I could watch this guy chew gum for the rest of my life.

by Anonymousreply 7107/30/2013

Yeah but whistlers are far worse.

by Anonymousreply 7207/30/2013

R71 - amazing guy!

by Anonymousreply 7307/30/2013

When they crack it, HELL YES.

by Anonymousreply 7407/30/2013

I am finding tremendous comfort in all of the other posters disgust for gum noises. Seriously! I fly a bit for work and the worst is getting saddled next to some inconsiderate ass clown who has made the decision that his or her travelling neighbors want to listen to their mouth noises,.. Or is too much of a Fuckwad to care. I have never said anything to a gum whacker before because I feel it's my hangup and therefor I need to deal with it.

Let's create a line of t-shirts, bumper stickers and other get-the-message-out tools that calls this habit to the surface and gets a conversation started. Who's in?

Putting myself out there... Guyette.greg@gmail.com.

I have found my people!!!

by Anonymousreply 7502/04/2015

Chewing gum is banned in Singapore.

by Anonymousreply 7602/04/2015

People who whistle and chew, snap and pop their gum around other people know that they are seriously aggravating other people. That's the pleasure of doing it.

by Anonymousreply 7702/04/2015

Hatred of certain sounds, when it just drives you around the bend, is called misophonia. Unfortunately there is no treatment for it.

by Anonymousreply 7802/04/2015

Oh there's a treatment.

by Anonymousreply 7902/04/2015

No but that breathing through your nose whistle thing does piss me the fuuuuck off!

by Anonymousreply 8002/04/2015

R79 Shooting the offenders is not considered treatment (but dear God, I wish it was!!!).

by Anonymousreply 8102/04/2015

I don't even notice it.

I don't even know what people mean when they say "gum smacking" or "gum popping." I don't know what it sounds like because I don't hear it.

I don't chew gum because it irritates my gums. Funny. Gum irritating gum.

by Anonymousreply 8202/05/2015

If I'm in public and someone is doing that chewing that makes the gum go: pop pop pop pop pop in about 2 seconds I have to get away from them. I was in the public library and this black woman would not stop. It pissed me off so badly that I left. It is my only 'pet peeve'.

Funny/gross story. At a job I had our team of 4 sat in the same large cubicle. Dee would come back from lunch every day and start flossing her teeth AT HER DESK. It was so disgusting. We made jokes about her infectious food particals flying through the air. Finally, my chicken shit boss sent out a mass email saying people could no longer floss at their desk!!!!

She was large and had a smell about her. She also farted all the time and it smelled so bad but she just acted like nothing happened.

I despised that woman.

by Anonymousreply 8302/05/2015

When I was a kid I was watching TV when all of a sudden my older brother leaped out of his chair, jumped on top of me and pummeled the shit out of me. All the while screaming about how I was popping my gum [italic]and[/italic] doing it on purpose just to irritate him. (I seriously was unaware - honest!)

I thought he was insane to have such a strong, over-the-top reaction but ... I stopped chewing gum after that.

That's my recommendation to those of you bothered by this. Beat the shit out of the offender. That'll do the trick.

I will say that the gum on the sidewalk is my annoyance. It's bad enough when I step in it but I hate it the most when my dog gets it on his little paws. Hot days and a gummy sidewalk - not a good combo.

by Anonymousreply 8402/05/2015

They can fucking die is what they can do. It's 99% of the time ghetto black women.

by Anonymousreply 8503/04/2015
Need more help? Click Here.