Since 1995

Why is Jamaica so homophobic?

Is it connected to Rastafarianism?

by Anonymousreply 17208/11/2013

Who she?

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2011

backward people

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2011

Lack of education and indifference. Gay is seen as a "white" problem. Violent culture in general. Regarding the music end, record companies also profit from it. Homophobia sells records, that may have otherwise been written off as lame. Much Dance Hall is other peoples songs sampled with new words, just like Rap music. Buju Banton's famous "Boom, Bye, Bye........ in Da Batty Boy Head" Is sampled from Mad Cobra's song "Flex" with the words changed to be homophobic. If Banton never swapped out the words with hate words, nobody would know who Buju Banton was. (The ironic thing is he actually does have great original voice and if he could have passed on the hate he may have gotten the big label pickup that Sean Paul got. Sean Pauls voice is lame, typical) After the attention that Buju Banton got for this, Elephant Man, Beenie Man, Admiral T all did anti-gay songs too. A record company had to release these songs, else you would have never heard of it, so the Corporations are on board.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2011

All those island cultures are all very sexist and macho. I had friends that worked in the islands for months at a time and they said the incidence of AIDS is pretty high and all of the men were routinely cheating on their women. It was not uncommon on any given night after work at the bar that some woman would roll in and bust her man with some other woman. Some of the guys still send boxes of condoms to the islands in an effort to help out because it is so expensive down there and also difficult to find.

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2011

[quote]Some of the guys still send boxes of condoms to the islands in an effort to help out

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2011

Black folks like to look down upon queers as their inferiors.

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2011

Elephant Man? Beenie Man? People listen to these losers?

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2011

[quote]Gay is seen as a "white" problem.

In other words, they're racist trash.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2011

BBC6 radio dj George Lamb, use to play that Dance Hall stuff all the time, some really offensive stuff about the torture and killing of gay men, and this was on his primetime morning show. He also use to call Shabba Ranks a legend, this is a man who said all gay men should be executed.

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2011

Lowdown folk look for someone else to look down on and once they get away with it there's no end to where it being going. Jamaica got no one talking good about the gays, so it's open season. Sad, sick culture, and their meat be dry for all they be jerkin it.

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2011

The Ragga scene contaminated itself. Nobody in Hollywood or TV wants Ragga sounds now.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2011

Bob Marley was a gay-bashing cunt.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2011

Many Chinese families also think gay is a "white problem".

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2011

George Lamb was the beginning of the end for radio 6, he really dented it's credibility. Anyone from Fulhum whom speaks in a mockney and proudly calls himself a "gansta" without and thread of irony is bound to be anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 1605/07/2011

Latinos too, and Philippinos also think it's a white problem.

by Anonymousreply 1705/07/2011

but r17 you don't see thread after thread on DL talking about how horribly racist those people are. The agenda here only points in one direction. Only one group of people is to be demonized.

by Anonymousreply 1905/07/2011

Chinese, Latino, and Philippino cultures do not have the same level of homophobic violence that Jamaica does, r15/r17. Homophobia is common to many places and cultures, but Jamaica really does stand apart.

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2011

Well, r21, I guess that means it's yet another opportunity for them to stop being homophobic. A reminder never hurts.

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2011

"Is it connected to Rastafarianism?"

When people think of the Caribbean, most tend to think of, you know, laid-back, Bob Marley, peace and love, white sand, blue waters, palm trees, pot, Hey-Mon, etc etc.

This is a misperception. Caribbean cultures are post-colonial places: very poor, strictly religious. Everyday life there is quite different than that picture above. Quite strict, dog-eat-dog, fundamentalist, religious, small-town, isolated. Even the "big cities" tend to be small towns.

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2011

And the answer is.... British colonialism! Thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2011

R22 Yeah I bet they will stumble on DL read this thread and just feel awful. *rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2011

No one has really adressed what I actually tried to get at: why is it that Jamaica is so much more homophobic than other Caribbean countries where most of the same conditions (strict religiosity, poverty, lack of education, machismo, colonialism) apply as well?

What is it that's particular to Jamaica, that gives it an "edge" in homophobia? The obvious answer would be Rastafarianism - so, is that the reason? Or is it something else?

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2011

I don't know OP, but Elephant Man is the dumbest name ever for an "artist". Sorry.:-(

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2011

Low IQ stupidity. The first Caribbean destination to sell itself as a gay mecca will clean up. But Jamaicans would rather wallow in poverty and ignorance.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2011

The greatest proof that gay men aren't welcome in Jamaica is the enduring popularity of dreadlocks. Any hairbender worth a damn would have long ago done away with the ugliest hair trend ever invented.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2011

R26 Do you genuinely believe you will get a reasonable response to your question posting on a gossip board generally made up of white gay males? You HAVE to be trolling.

by Anonymousreply 3005/07/2011

r21 and r25 feel most helpful, and morally triumphant by burying their heads in the sand! That oughtta help!

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2011

Jamaican society is extremely religious. Combine that with an astonishing amount of casual violence brought on by the drug trade and there you go.

by Anonymousreply 3305/07/2011

[quote]Oh good another thread on how black people are so homophobic.

[quote]I should NOT be surprised by the constant racism and prejudice I see on this board but the DL never ceases to surprise!

Actually it is a thread about how Jamaica is homophobic but carry on.

Perhaps you are unaware of the mobs in the street beating anyone they suspect is gay to death. It is a FACT that jamaica is probably the last place in the western hemisphere that one would want to be gay. Comparing it to other islands in the Caribbean is disingenuous. The violent homophobia in Jamaica is unique in the world outside of the Africa.

The roots of this extreme violence lay in the origins of the unique culture that developed on that Island after the slave rebellion. The extreme brutality of the colonial rule lead directly to the dirt poor, racist, uneducated, violent tribal culture that has emerged.

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2011

I don't think OP is being racist he's just asking about Jamaica it's not like this thread is called "Why are blacks so homophobic." The problem does seem to be especially bad in Jamaica and there has to be a reason for it.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2011

R35/37 is the unhinged "gays are disease-ridden freaks" troll who often rears his head in threads where race plays a role. He often has a point in objecting to racist posts but goes too far. And in this case, he's totally off-base.

by Anonymousreply 3805/07/2011

r39 here, that is not a picture of me! That is a pic of a well-known, out and flambouyant gay in St. Lucia who often wears skimpier clothing than this (last year he wore a g string with his ass cheeks exposed) and goes unharrassed by the locals.

by Anonymousreply 4005/07/2011

Trinidad and Tobago are the most gay-friendly and would, any day now, de-criminalize homosexuality. In fact there are a number of openly Gay artists, at least one Judge and thriving GLBT organizations. The main problem for gays come from a minority poorly educated working class, and so-called religious leaders who gay bash to gain notoriety.

Trinidad, unlike the rest of the Caribbean Islands is oil/gas-rich and doesn't need tourism to exist. It is completely racially diverse, East Indians, Africans, Chinese, Lebanese, White Europeans, especially Germans (don't ask me why?!) etc.

Their citizens recently voted in a WOman of East Indian descent as Prime Minister. Obama had lovely things to say about the country during his visit last year, as did Oprah lol. Its citizens enjoy a GDP higher than many European countries.

However the country is also mired in Islamic fundamentalism, and I believe there are several Trinidadians incarcerated in American jails for terrorist activities. In 2003/4 the FBI was welcomed to the Island to set up a station to help the government fight terrorism. They are still there. In fact, the FBI says that a Guyanese/Trinidadian national is 5th on the list to take over from Osama bin laden.

Now, I know I haven't answered the OP - but if this has enlightened ya'll i shall start with those murderous, anti-gay Jamaicans.

by Anonymousreply 4105/07/2011

Thank you r39/40 for your posts.

by Anonymousreply 4205/07/2011

Excellent post, R39!

by Anonymousreply 4305/07/2011

Because they eat da poo poo!

by Anonymousreply 4405/07/2011

[italic]Trinidad and Tobago are the most gay-friendly and would, any day now, de-criminalize homosexuality.[/italic]

LMFAO!

You're trumping up places as gay meccas, and the first you start off with is how they criminalize homosexuality? Good Christ, now I've read everything!!

by Anonymousreply 4505/07/2011

I had a few drinks once and asked a Jamaican guy about this. He said with its tourist based economy, the most experience most of them have with gay people is either being propositioned for sex or selling sex to tourists who are extremely disrespectful and sometimes violent to them. It made sense to me altho I've never heard anyone else say it. He wasn't homophobic at all and said most people aren't but the ones who are are violent.

by Anonymousreply 4705/07/2011

it is well known among gay Caribbean circles that Jamaica has the most gays! We all think it is a case of extreme self-loathing where a religious society drives the gay guys deep into the closet and makes them become vocally and physically anti0gay. Not unlike those freeper gays in your country.

by Anonymousreply 4805/07/2011

As a Jamaican American I can honestly not pinpoint one particular reason why Jamaica is so homophobic. I think it's a matter of tradition, like so many other things in Caribbean culture. I%E2%80%99m sure you all understand that Jamaican and Haitian cultures have extremely dark and horrifying histories. Tiny islands that have had to fight viciously for EVERYTHING. Their independence, freedom, the island has been leveled by hurricanes over and over since the beginning of time, etc etc. I think its left the people traumatized. Look at Cuba. It doesn%E2%80%99t take much for one person to decide they want to take over. So the gangsters have to constantly keep each other in check. Its ingrained in the culture. Killing a gay person does not dwell on the conscious of the people there like it should, although that might change. %0D %0D The exposure we get in the U.S. to new ideas and information we take for granted. It will take something major to change that. And it%E2%80%99s also worth noting that Jamaica is also very diverse like most places in Caribbean. A lot of Jamaicans look like Colin Powell and are descendant from East Indians, Scots, and Chinese. So the homophobia is not just a product of Africa, it is of many cultures. %0D %0D Jamaicans still believe in duppy ghosts, so it's hard to expect them to believe in something that even the U.S. is struggling with. Just to put it in perspective.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4905/07/2011

[quote]you start off with is how they criminalize homosexuality?

To be fair this was the case until very recently in much of the US.

I was in Barbados years ago for new years eve with a bunch of Bajan gay friends. There is a tradition of swimming at midnight and when the hour approached many in the group dropped their clothes and went down to the sea. One friend had had a bit too much rum punch and ended up rolling around in the surf with a guy he met and one thing lead to another until it was full on sex under a bright moon and flood lights. A cop strolled by and someone asked if he was going to do anything and his reply was, "Too much paperwork" which incidentally is now the nickname some of us use for the guy rolling in the surf. I am not aware of anyone having been prosecuted for sodomy in Barbados for a very, very long time but the law remains along with many other foolish statutes they inherited from Britain.

In my experience the post colonial english caribbean gay world is now much as it was in the US northeast cities about 25 years ago. There are some that are out for all to see and many others that live under the radar. For the most part nobody outside the poor church culture cares.

The culture is evolving quickly, just as it did here but it just got a later start.

by Anonymousreply 5005/07/2011

stoned ass cuntssss!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5105/07/2011

[quote]Jamaicans still believe in duppy ghosts, so it's hard to expect them to believe in something that even the U.S. is struggling with. Just to put it in perspective.

Did you see that video? Duppy--You leave that boy alone, now. You hear?

by Anonymousreply 5205/07/2011

Without wishing to rationalise the homophobia, Jamaica is really weird about sex generally, in all its forms.

by Anonymousreply 5305/07/2011

What's a duppy ghost?

by Anonymousreply 5405/07/2011

[quote]However the country is also mired in Islamic fundamentalism, and I believe there are several Trinidadians incarcerated in American jails for terrorist activities%0D %0D I don't mean to derail this thread, but, wow, I would never have thought that about T & T.

by Anonymousreply 5605/07/2011

My heart goes out for you, r56.

by Anonymousreply 5705/07/2011

r56, gays aren't being set on fire in the US. Get real!

by Anonymousreply 5805/07/2011

Because a lot of them are religious... and religious people are often HYPOCRITES! in one sentence they will say "love thy neighbor" and in another sentence they'll say something hateful about gay people. How stupid can you be? %0D %0D What a shame! such a beautiful island with rich culture RUINED by their homophobia. I will NEVER set foot in a country that is so openly anti gay! I hope they lose a lot of money from tourists who refuse to go there because of the homophobia. If they lose enough money, then let's see if they change their tune. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5908/05/2011

r59 couldn't afford the $18. Poor people need to be banned from DL!

by Anonymousreply 6008/05/2011

[quote]There are still anti-sodomy laws on the books in may places. %0D %0D How is that possible when the US Supreme Court struck down all such laws in 2003?

by Anonymousreply 6108/05/2011

Staceyann Chin (the poet) broke my heart. I can't find the clip right now, but she was on that Oprah special about gay people around the world where she talked about her experiences being out in Jamaica.

She was an out lesbian and was targeted by a group of men who dragged her into a bathroom and gang-raped her because of it. She said she knew she couldn't stay there anymore and left for America (New York specifically), but she broke my heart because she talked about how much she yearned for her home, her family there and most of all how much she yearned for it to get better.

I think we can all relate to that.

She also said it was born of ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 6208/05/2011

Any ideas why Jamaica is more homophobic than the other former British colonies, r24?

Because the British Empire, was, you know - kind of large...

by Anonymousreply 6407/15/2012

British Colonialism is indeed a major factor. Just look at India. It took over a century for them to make 'being gay' legal again. They didn't care about it before the British took over their country.

by Anonymousreply 6507/15/2012

[post by racist shit-stain removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6607/15/2012

In a lot of those former British colonies, Christianity is of the fundamentalist, fire-and-brimstone variety.

by Anonymousreply 6707/15/2012

The majority of the countries in the former British Commonwealth still criminalize sexual acts between consenting adults of the same sex. The Brits used to pass laws penalizing homosexuality wherever they went. 42 of 53 of those nations have retained those laws.

by Anonymousreply 6807/15/2012

I say, pass the Dutchie pon the left hand side

Pass the Dutchie pon the left hand side

It a gonna burn

(Give me music, make me jump and prance)

It a go done, [It's a stereo, radio, fariy-o]

(Give me the music, make me rock in the dance)

by Anonymousreply 6907/16/2012

[quote]In other words, they're racist trash.

Blacks can't be racist dummy

by Anonymousreply 7007/16/2012

[quote]Blacks can't be racist dummy

Spoken like a true dummy!

Hint: non-whites are often FAAAAR more racist than white folks, but it's not honestly called out for what it is, but rather defended as being part of the "___ Pride" (Black Pride, Filipino Pride, etc etc) thing.

by Anonymousreply 7107/16/2012

R39, you live on the most liberal Anglo Caribbean island, and St Lucia barely meets the level of North Carolina. The scene you describe is medieval (especially the cultural choice of closet or queen) and I pity you.

The answers on Jamaica are: British colonialism, poor education and a culture that respects education even less than the US, fear of competition from black women from 'battymen', and the weird fascism of Rastafarianism, which is Scientology-level silly. It's a shame, because the music sounds lovely but it is so full of hate.

The rest of the English-speaking is in a pitched battle for least awful, with St Lucia near the top. Trinidad and Barbados, because of size and development, are less bad. The big Spanish islands are a notch above, the Dutch a little better, and the French the most tolerant.

But it is sad that one of the most beautiful parts of the planet can have people so ugly inside. And Jamaica is ground zero for this kind of backward terror.

by Anonymousreply 7207/16/2012

". . .a culture that respects education even less than the US":

What the fuck are you talking about?

I know plenty of Jamaicans who live in NYC and they are among the most literate, educated, immersed-in-the-British-literary-canon people I have ever met. The Jamaicans I know are in fact unbelievable literary snobs, they know their Shakespeare backwards and forwards, and unlike you fuckwads on DL, they DO NOT MAKE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS.

What the fuck is wrong with you all?

by Anonymousreply 7407/16/2012

No tourists propositioning Jamaicans did not cause them to be homophobic (see Dominican republican and Haiti, which are not homophobic in any particular way).

Jamaicans are homophobic because of ENGLAND. And I don't mean, colonialism. I mean, 800,000 people of Jamaican descent live in Britain, compared to 2.7 million in Jamaica. In the US, Puerto Rico and New York have the same dynamic, but it has made PRs less homophobic. But PRs are not the bottom of the well in the USA. Jamaicans comprise the absolute bottom of British hierarchy and every other group goes above them, including all the more recent arrivals. That has made them bitter about Britain, which they think of as a gay place.

by Anonymousreply 7507/16/2012

If people outside of Jamaica didn't buy Murder Music, there would not be so much of it.

There is not commercially, a big enough music scene in Jamaica to support so many anti-gay Dance Hall singers. Somebody outside of the country, is buying it (and giving Dance Hall singers Grammys too).

by Anonymousreply 7607/16/2012

R74, Did it not occur to you that you were only meeting the Jamaicans that were smart enough to get out of Jamaica and go to NYC?

I doubt that Jamaican academia has an abundance of Calls for Papers on Shakespeare's position in the literary canon.

It's as bad as the people who start their posts with "As an Irish-American" and proceed to make huge generalizations about a country and culture they've never experienced directly.

by Anonymousreply 7707/16/2012

R17: The Latino thing is odd to me since I know a hell of a lot of LGBT Latino folks.

I think a lot of what makes Jamaica so homophobic is deep seated Christian bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 7907/16/2012

I was repeatedly questioned about my sex life when I visited Negril in the 90s. My 'Canadian girlfriend' story didn't convince anyone.

Perhaps I shouldn't have invested so heavily in Williwear for the trip.

by Anonymousreply 8007/16/2012

[quote]Asshole blacks and Asians can't be racist. Racsim is about power. They don't have it. Blacks can be sexist or homophobic but NOT racist.

Bullshit.

Even if one accepts the ridiculous contention that in order to be a racist, you need to have power, it's a myth and demeaning to those groups to contend that blacks and Asians don't have power.

by Anonymousreply 8107/16/2012

[post by racist shit-stain removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8207/16/2012

R73, your false equivalency is showing.

There is homophobia all over the planet, yes, except for Antarctica, where there are gay penguins.

But one can live in and visit the USA without having a single worry about being gay, and it's getting better every year (to the point when the President is finally pandering to us).

You cannot say the same about Jamaica. Sorry, but I don't think everyone making this point is a racist.

Come back when you can have a cogent discussion and can parse language for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 8307/17/2012

So r83 you are saying hate crimes to happen in this day and age in America? And r72 you are a fucking jackass. Medieval? If you hate the region, just say it, but you know NOTHING about the Caribbean. The French isles are the best in terms of gay rights? Maybe on the law books, but just like France has its Muslim fundamentalists who hate everything liberal, Martinique has a lot of Christians who do not like gays.

The real issue behind homophobia is religious fundamentalism. You do not have to criticize a country's level of development, especially since your country has stepped all over them in order to achieve economic prosperity (read up on Chiquita, the Caribbean and the WTO) to make your fucked up, snobbish, CUNTY point!

by Anonymousreply 8409/23/2012

[quote]He said with its tourist based economy, the most experience most of them have with gay people is either being propositioned for sex or selling sex to tourists who are extremely disrespectful and sometimes violent to them

Oh please.

by Anonymousreply 8609/23/2012

I work with some Muslim guys who are always cold to me. I mentioned it to a black (Christian) guy I work with and he said, "You know why they always dog you? Because you're a homosexual- they don't like that".

by Anonymousreply 8709/23/2012

"Asshole blacks and Asians can't be racist. Racsim is about power. They don't have it. Blacks can be sexist or homophobic but NOT racist."

Bull. OPPRESSION takes power, but racism and bigotry are about personal beliefs. Anyone can be a racist or a bigot, even someone as powerless as a homeless junkie. In fact, facism and bigotry are very appealing to the powerless, it makes someone at the bottom of society feel better than somebody.

by Anonymousreply 8809/23/2012

lol

by Anonymousreply 8909/25/2012

I did a quick google search after starting to read this thread and found, among the horror stories, a music label that contracts its performers not to promote homophobia and violence in their music, and reports of political and church leaders encouraging the acceptance of diversity in Jamaica. Portia Simpson-Miller, the Jamaican Prime Minister, has pledged to end discrimination against gays and said she would happily appoint a gay person to her Cabinet, a huge public statement to make in Jamaica. Jamaica's homophobia is borne of poverty, widespread christian fundamentalism, and official corruption (politicians don't hesitate to play up the gay threat), but it's important to remember Jamaicans are a diverse people who don't speak with one voice.

by Anonymousreply 9009/25/2012

Sorry, my post was a bit off-topic. From what I've read so far, rastafarianism encourages fairly traditional gender roles but I don't think it's explicitly homophobic, although there's clearly room for intolerant fundamentalists to interpret its teachings that way, as is the case with most world religions. There are more inclusive and tolerant rastafarians and there are more bigoted and punitive rastafarians.

by Anonymousreply 9109/25/2012

Agreed, R82 and R85.

by Anonymousreply 9209/25/2012

r5 i know of what you speak. Were your friends working on a film down there? Mine were and I was going to say the exact same thing.

Some of the fathers also "sold" their daughters to the crew members who wanted bed warmers as they called them.

by Anonymousreply 9509/25/2012

That is very creepy.

by Anonymousreply 9609/25/2012

Islamic tradition. Something to do with the heat.

by Anonymousreply 9709/25/2012

People also don't talk about the AMERICAN CHRISTIANS who go to third world countries and use the peoples' Christian beliefs to influence and help foment this homophobia. I fucking hate double standard American BITCHES who want to act as if Caribbean island with archaic antigay laws still on the books are savages, animals, blah blah blah

by Anonymousreply 9809/25/2012

I've only seen such threads on DL about Jamaica and Uganda. Never about Russia, Serbia or Poland which are absolutely toxic for gays.

by Anonymousreply 9909/30/2012

[quote]So the homophobia is not just a product of Africa,

Go to hell r49, for trying to blame us for the ills and failings of your society. We didn't care about homosexuals until the British colonised us and imposed the same anti-sodomy laws all over the commonwealth.

[quote]In fact, it is a well-known secret by locals that our current Prime Minister is in fact gay, although closeted and married to a woman, yet during the last elections people voted for him to represent their district as a member of Parliament.

R39, Almost similar situation with the President of Botswana (pictured here with Obama). He's in his late fifties, never married and widely rumoured, by his own people, to be homosexual. Yet they continue electing him president and he retains the respected position of chief of his tribe.

by Anonymousreply 10009/30/2012

Some of them really do have very large penises.

Why do you think the woman was crying?

by Anonymousreply 10109/30/2012

Why are people interested at all in this dusty piece of landing strip?

by Anonymousreply 10209/30/2012

British colonialism is the answer. That island has been the genesis of most of the world's evils.

by Anonymousreply 10309/30/2012

This thread is full of racists, liars, and lunatics. But, I'm sure that is exactly what OP wanted.

by Anonymousreply 10409/30/2012

British colonialism.

The British introduced anti-sodomy laws everywhere the British flag flew. After the empire fell, most of those former colonies kept the persecution of homosexuals on the books.

by Anonymousreply 10509/30/2012

I agree with r104. The OP just wanted to start another "black people are homophobes" thread.

by Anonymousreply 10609/30/2012

But black people are homophobes. Let's be real.

by Anonymousreply 10709/30/2012

We have absolutely had many threads on homophobia in Russia and Eastern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 10809/30/2012

[quote] But one can live in and visit the USA without having a single worry about being gay

You live on a coast, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 10909/30/2012

[quote]Blacks HATE gays

White conservatives and religious fundamentalists are responsible for denying gays rights in the US.

by Anonymousreply 11010/03/2012

And yet homosexuality EXISTS in nature bigoted freeper cunt R111. Stop being so bitter just because your husband prefers sucking cock than hitting your nasty hole. buh bye....

by Anonymousreply 11210/25/2012

They're having the same debate in France.

by Anonymousreply 11310/26/2012

How did Trinidad & Tobago ever get mixed up in this thread? Yes, there are anti-sodomy laws in the books that nobody gives a shit about, but there's no rampant homophobia as far as I can tell - and I live in Trinidad.

Truth be known, I can't recall a single case of gay-bashing in this country. When I Googled "gay bashing Trinidad & Tobago", the first thing that came up was, "Gays bash Govt on same-sex marriage". I must say, for a civilized country such as the US, there is certainly a lot more violence against gays than "homophobic Trinidad". But, then again, I can't find a single lynching in our history books.

by Anonymousreply 11410/26/2012

It's no different than any other small country like, say Belarus, it's just that no one knows or gives a shit because it doesn't have nice beaches.

So stop.

by Anonymousreply 11510/26/2012

It's kind of sad that the ethnicity with the biggest cocks is the most homophobic

by Anonymousreply 11610/26/2012

You take British homophobia and marry it to African homophobia and you get Frankenhomophobia.

by Anonymousreply 11910/28/2012

I'm not sure whether r117 or r118 is the sicker individual.

by Anonymousreply 12010/28/2012

R118 is not a Jamaican... and R114 TT may not be violently homophobic but it is violent... what about de coolie beheadings yall known for and the shooting in de park last year dat caused Kamla to put de country on curfue?

by Anonymousreply 12110/28/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 12210/28/2012

Jamaican is hardly alone when it come to homophobia. If you live in the US you can experience it here no need to worry about Jamaica. Check yourself first.

by Anonymousreply 12310/28/2012

[quote]The British introduced anti-sodomy laws everywhere the British flag flew.

Not at Eton.

by Anonymousreply 12410/28/2012

Because of all you queers coming there looking for BBC. Actually Jamicans pretty much hate whites. that is why you have to stay locked up at your hotel at night so you don't get murdered.

by Anonymousreply 12510/28/2012

well it looks like some brave gays are challenging hte laws

by Anonymousreply 12710/28/2012

R128, you are nuts!

by Anonymousreply 12910/28/2012

Recent poster, you are doing too much.

by Anonymousreply 13310/28/2012

Somebody's sure gone off the deep end!

by Anonymousreply 13410/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 13610/28/2012

Without Jamaicans we would not have hot Jamaican hybrids, like Louis Smith!

by Anonymousreply 13810/29/2012

Marlon McKenzie

by Anonymousreply 13910/29/2012

Wow, someone really hates Jamaicans.

by Anonymousreply 14010/29/2012

haha, Mr SickEvilFuck says "I hate to sound like Hitler", yet his multitude of hateful posts make it very clear that he LOVES to sound like Hitler. One doubts he has the level of self-awareness needed to see the irony.

by Anonymousreply 14110/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 14210/30/2012

[quote]The three most abhorrent, worthless human demographics on earth: A) Jamaican dreadlocked, ashy, heavily-drugged-out mindless things, B) Our own American Jerry Springer, hurricane-bait, bible-thumping, trailer park hillbillies, and C) The tracksuited, completely incomprehensible chav-abominations I've watched on Britain's Jeremy Kyle for years and years.

SickEvilFuck, many of us share your dislike for one or more of these demographics, but the hate speech is a bit much. Tone it down.

by Anonymousreply 14410/30/2012

This gay man was caught in a bathroom with his boyfriend -

by Anonymousreply 14511/02/2012

Gays should choose their battles wisely. Jamaica for now is lost.

by Anonymousreply 14702/21/2013

Why is Russia so homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 14802/21/2013

Having gays as a scapegoat keeps the stupid riled up masses from noticing that the authority figures are guilty of corruption, lies, and hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 14902/21/2013

Okay I'll say it, Jamaican sprinters cheat. They are the original Doping Professionals.

No we shouldn't write off Jamaica. As I pointed out, their hate of gays is derived from their low status compared to gays in Britain. If Americans didn't boycott them in favor of less black islands in the Caribbean, they would be more receptive to both Americans and gays because unlike the situation in Britain, they are not the bottom of the barrel in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 15002/21/2013

Nuke them already

by Anonymousreply 15102/21/2013

A quarter of all Jamaicans live in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 15202/21/2013

It's their reigion, not much different from orthodox islam, judaism and christianity.

Dogma + poverty = intolerance.

by Anonymousreply 15302/21/2013

It's related to Blackism, which relates back to ignorance and poverty.

by Anonymousreply 15402/21/2013

"As I pointed out, their hate of gays is derived from their low status compared to gays in Britain."

That's totally irrational. Why hate gays, out of all the other groups who are slightly higher in the barrel? Why not hate the people who own the barrel, and keep everyone else stuffed in?

I agree that someone in Jamaica is fostering anti-gay hate, to keep the angry young men from directing their anger at the corrupt power structure.

by Anonymousreply 15502/21/2013

"Someone", R155?

Expand that to every bigoted, power hungry, thieving, so-called "Christian" leader in the country.

by Anonymousreply 15602/21/2013

Because they don't have power over other groups in Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 15702/21/2013

Jamaicans don't like gay people because that area was enslaved by the British and when a slave owner thought that a slave of his was rising against him he would sodimize/rape the male slave, sometimes in front of all of the other slaves. They would also make them rape each other for entertainment. It is easy to see how their culture would formulate hate for the act if it was used as a way to oppress and humiliate.

by Anonymousreply 15808/11/2013

Transgendered teen brutally lynched by mob in this island paradise:

by Anonymousreply 15908/11/2013

Has anyone seen the documentary on Youtube about Jamaican skin lightening?

Evidently, all Jamaicans use harsh skin lighteners to bleach their skin and look white. These skin products are cheap, third-world produced agents that are slowly killing them. In the video, you see many Jamaicans with disfigured faces and burnt skin who continue to use these products.

I think that Jamaicans are a unique group of people who have a completely different world view. They are nothing like Africans or African Americans. I wouldn't even begin to attempt to figure them out.

by Anonymousreply 16008/11/2013

Jamaica, and the rest of the world for that matter, is homophobic because of one thing, religion.

Religion is the root of all evil.

by Anonymousreply 16108/11/2013

Untrue R158

by Anonymousreply 16208/11/2013

r160 -- that is way beyond generalization -- all jamaicans bleach? come on now. also, as much as jamaica has a unique culture, bleaching is neither part of the culture or unique to jamaicans.

by Anonymousreply 16308/11/2013

Jamaicans have a very economically stratified society. Families of the lighter, mixed-race natives worked with the British, and tend to be better educated.

Fundie, with a very disciplined family structure, they're homophobic because of their rigid community structure. Even young children are expected to spend long hours in Church where they'll be eventually matched up with spouses.

Those that are darker skinned were raised with a different value system. They tend to have working class, labor intensive jobs. Some mimic the beliefs of the upper classes. Any child centered culture tends to be homophobic, and to a lesser extent, dis couples and women that are child-free.

by Anonymousreply 16408/11/2013

So then, evil sick fuck, or whatever you call yourself, to your mind sinking down to their level is the answer? Because right now, you look exactly like them, congratulations.

by Anonymousreply 16508/11/2013

R49, thanks for mentioning the belief in duppies. I went to Wikipedia to read more and found out about a Jamaican black metal band in the process. Unlike his dancehall-colleagues, Ohene Ifrit doesn't seem like he's a homophobe. Instead he's an atheist who's all about "evil, misanthropy, chaos, anti-cosmic waste matter and the ORIGINAL evil which has its roots from Mami Africa."

by Anonymousreply 16608/11/2013

r167

Jamaica was founded as a total slave economy, so it was quite different from the US, Canada, and Australia. Britain was responsible for creating that slave economy, and all the horrors that followed from it.

by Anonymousreply 16708/11/2013

It's because Jamaican guys have big dicks and they're tired of the gay, white tourists hitting on them.

by Anonymousreply 16808/11/2013

OP are you racist? You sound really bigoted.

by Anonymousreply 16908/11/2013

I wish gays would examine Islamic fundamentalism the same way we do Christianity.

by Anonymousreply 17008/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.