Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Have you ever wondered if "so and so" hadn''t died so young and tragically, would they be alive today?

I do.%0D %0D I wonder what Sharon Tate would have done with her career.%0D %0D Or if Judy Garland would be a funny and bawdy old lady.%0D %0D Or what Princess Di would have thought about Kate Middleton.%0D %0D Or how Marlilyn Monroe would have looked like in her 80's. I bet whe would have gotten really fat. She seemed to have the 'bones' for that.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9201/28/2013

No.

Sent from my iPhone

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2011

Yes. I wonder about Sharon Tate. She's buried in the same cemetery as my relatives. I was a kid when she was murdered. My family and I lived only about 4 miles from her house. I was scared. But my mother said we were safe. It was a shocking event.

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2011

Yes. Of course. I am pretty sure Princess Diana would have been very proud of William and would have liked Kate Middleton very much. Di's presence was felt very strongly at that wedding, though. Wills looks SO much like her. His eyes. His smile.

Diana would only be about 50 years old now so she would still be lovely, if a bit older. With her stressful life, she might have looked more "pulled" and taught, though. She would probably have had some cosmetic surgery by now and that would be a bit "scary" to think about. The rich and famous usually have the worst surgery.

The best career move Marilyn made was dying young. THAT is what sealed her image as a beautiful, tragic goddess. (Princess Di, too.)

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2011

I always wonder how big river Phoenix would gave got. I think James Dean would have faded into obscurity. Don't think dianna princess of Wales would be anywhere near as well thought of if she hadn't died.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2011

If JFK Jr hadn't been so stupid as to fly that plane, he could have gone to the wedding, finally made the realization that Carolyn B. was a waste of time. %0D %0D Then he would have paid off the tart and divorced her. Then he would have called me up and we could have had a discreet affair that would have blossomed into romance. %0D %0D We would have moved to Massachusetts so we could have been one of the first gay couples to marry.%0D %0D No, OP, I've never wondered.

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2011

"she might have looked more "pulled" and taught, though."

You do need to be carefully taut.

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2011

I think Jon-Erik Hexum would have had Ted McGinley's career.

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2011

Yes, and if Marilyn were still alive skin and bones would not have become a hit.

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2011

William wouldn't be getting married if Di were alive. He was her "soul mate." He would not have been free to find another.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2011

I have wondered how well JFK Jr. would have done in the internet age. I do think that he was ahead of everyone else in terms of merging media, politics, culture, and art. His magazine ideas were too broad and complex for print media. %0D %0D Had he lived, I am sure that he would have created a "Huffington Post" type of site way before Arianna.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2011

Gilda Radner would have been up there with Steve Martin as one of SNL's most frequent guest hosts. In the 1990s she would have had her own sitcom, which didn't work and was quickly cancelled. In between she'd be doing a lot of forgettable movies that didn't utilize her talent, as well as guest appearances on shows like 'Six Feet Under.'

Kurt Cobain would have gone solo and his music would have taken more of a folk-rock direction. He also would be very politically active and raised millions for gay rights causes.

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2011

Another one: Tammi Terrell would be recognized as one of Motown's greatest stars, whose fame would be second only to Diana Ross -- but far more critically respected. She would have dabbled in disco, electronica, etc., and had a loyal fan base of older black women and gay men of all ages.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2011

I wonder, too, OP.%0D %0D For instance, I think that if John Lennon were alive today, he'd basically be Roseanne Barr. He'd live a life of quiet luxury, have a blog that mixes politics and crazy, he'd make occasional public appearances, he'd be divorced a few more times and have a bunch of messed-up kids around. He'd be a little more stable, but still wouldn't be happy.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2011

Patsy Cline would have divorced that drunk, had plastic surgery to fix her facial scars, and gone on raise some hell in the country charts for a decade or two. I think she would have ended up at Betty Ford eventually.

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2011

Jimi Hendrix: could have been Eric Clapton, but never would have had a big hit on the charts. More drug busts, more problems with women, some of them legal.

He would make money on the road, because those who liked him would REALLY like him, but for most younger people he'd be seen as a puzzlingly adored relic like Bob Dylan. I can also imagine a tour with Carlos Santana where the average age of the audience would be 55.

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2011

Mickey Rooney would have married about 8 times and lived off of his early career. He would be kind of chubby and a cantankerous old fart.

by Anonymousreply 1705/07/2011

Jack & Jackie would have eventually divorced over his womanizing and her excessive spending.

by Anonymousreply 1805/07/2011

I think Jon-Erik Hexum would have had a career similar to McGinley's. %0D %0D He would have gone more toward the CW/WB dad roles that John Wesley Shipp and Paul Johannson (sp?) got.%0D %0D He might have gotten more roles like he got in The Bear and done films.%0D %0D He had a great face. My guess is people liked working with him. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1905/07/2011

R10

Totally agree with you.

This is weird...

I read about about John F. Kennedy, Jr, the Shriver sons, and some of Ethel's sons just the other day and truly thought the same thing you did. It was one of those silly books and I checked it out at the library for the heck of it.

He would have totally cut The Huffington Post to the chase if he had lived by a very great deal. No question.

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2011

I go one step further, OP. I like to imagine what it would be like to bring, say, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, or Isaac Newton back from the dead. We could show them what an impact they have had on our current world.

Just imagine how thrilled Leonardo would be to see helicopters!

by Anonymousreply 2105/07/2011

Judy Garland was already a bawdy old lady when she died.

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2011

If Natalie Wood were still alive she'd annoy her friends by extolling on the virtues of water aerobics.

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2011

Jayne Mansfield would have a live show off the strip in Vegas and a website selling bras & wigs.

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2011

I think Sharon Tate would have divorced Polanski for all the cheating, ended up in a few bomb movies, remarried and ended up a housewife with some more kids. She really wanted to be a wife and mother, and she was pretty enough to find some rich older businessman and start over. She seemed to want to be taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2011

Peter Jennings would have purchased a home in Massachusetts so he could have married the love of his life -- David Tyler Muir.

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2011

[quote]Jack & Jackie would have eventually divorced over his womanizing and her excessive spending.

Jack & Jackie would have divorced. She had already started fucking a richer man.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2011

If Kay Kendall hadn't died of luekaemia in 1959 she would have become as well known as Carole Lombard as a gifted glamorous comedienne and would have grown into those Maggie Smith parts.%0D %0D If Francoise Dorleac had not been killed in an automobile accident in 1967 she would be as well known as her sister Catherine Deneuve.%0D %0D It would have been nice to have seen Susan Hayward as feisty old lady, or seen more of Lee Remick or Romy Schneider as they would have aged.%0D %0D It is impossible though to imagine how Dean and Monroe would have turned out. Mansfield's career was already over before her death, she only really left two good movies.

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2011

Pitiful isn't? So young.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2011

I usually go out on a limb and say that someone who hasn't died is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 3005/07/2011

I also agree R10. I think George Magazine online would have been the success that the Huffington Post has become.

JFK Jr and Carolyn would have divorced. I wonder if it would have been ugly.

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2011

If Princess Diana were alive today, she would be clawing desperately at the lid of her coffin.

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2011

Diana would have made life miserable for Kate by attempting to drive a wedge between her and William. She would have told Kate that the Royal Family was dissing her (Kate) behind her back, while at the same time telling William that Kate wasn't good enough for him. %0D %0D And Camilla would have been assassinated in an unfortunate car-bomb incident.

by Anonymousreply 3305/07/2011

Would Diana have married Dodi?

Which woman would have been number one in William's life? Diana or Kate?

Would Diana be the people's princess or would the people have grown tired of her?

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2011

Jean Harlow would have had Iris Adrian's career

by Anonymousreply 3505/07/2011

If Diana had remarried Dodi, or anyone else who wasn't English and titled, she would have lost favor with the English people and her sons would have felt alienated. I think she was destined to live out her days as a soap opera drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2011

The one I think of is Heath Ledger. He was just hitting his stride as an actor, and had some awesome work ahead of him.%0D %0D He was preparing to direct his first feature film, The Queen's Gambit, about a young female chess player. He was working with the writer on the screenplay, and talking about Ellen Page for it.

by Anonymousreply 3705/07/2011

Fuck the actors. I want more books by Laurie Colwin and Sarah Caudwell.

by Anonymousreply 3805/07/2011

[quote]I think George Magazine online would have been the success that the Huffington Post has become.

Yes, if only there were some website that would tell me where I can buy the kind of socks that Eric Cantor wears and who was seen dining with whom at which hot eatery in Chevy Chase MD.

by Anonymousreply 3905/07/2011

Jimi Hendrix and Randy Rhodes would have moved far away from the hard rock that made them legends. Jaco Pastorius, however, would still be a jazz god.

John Kennedy Jr. would be a Senator right now if not an Obama cabinet member.

by Anonymousreply 4005/08/2011

I think that Brandon deWilde would have gotten handsomer as he got older. He was only 30 when he died in an accident.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4105/08/2011

Diana would not have married Dodi. But she would have continued to stalk any ex-lovers who decided her personal drama was too much to handle. Teddy Forstmann might have been the only man who could have controlled and pacified her at the same time.%0D %0D She would have remained a HUGE influence on William, and would definitely have inserted herself into that marriage, by constanttly seeking validation, support and sympathy from him. And when the Queen died, she would have lobbied hard for William to succeed to the throne instead of Charles. She would have enjoyed the media frenzy.

by Anonymousreply 4205/08/2011

Gianni Versace would have become an even bigger deal than he already was and we would have been spared the monstrosity that is his sister. He also would have dedicated a collection to Diana and probably be in a publicized feud with Elton John and/or Madonna.

Halston would have been like Calvin Klein by now. Billionaire, reclusive, sleeping with young rent boys.

Rudolph Nureyev would have been extremely famous. More so than he already was.

by Anonymousreply 4305/08/2011

[quote]I usually go out on a limb and say that someone who hasn't died is still alive.%0D %0D Oh c'mon r30, you know OP asked a perfectly legitimate and logical question. "If James Dean had not died so young and tragically, would he still be alive today?" %0D %0D The answer can be "yes, and he'd be doing ______" or "no, _______ would have done him in."%0D %0D Don't act so smarmy.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4405/08/2011

I think the better question for some of these is, what if they hadn't died and had gotten off the drugs? Because for some of these people, it was just a matter of time. If they didn't die when they did, they would have shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 4505/08/2011

[quote]I wonder what Sharon Tate would have done with her career.

Tate was just a hot piece-o-ass. She wasn't exactly Meryl Streep. She and the midget would have divorced and she would have been in obscurity until the 80s where she would have been cast in tv movies of the week and night time soaps.

by Anonymousreply 4605/08/2011

Me too, R38.

by Anonymousreply 4705/08/2011

JFK Jr. would be President, not Obama. In fact, JFK Jr. might have become President in 2004. And yes, he would divorced that insipid beard he was married to and wife #2 would have been worse ... someone like Gwyneth Paltrow would have been our first lady. Anderson Cooper would have been his secret affair.%0D %0D Judy Garland would not be the gay icon she became. She had a homophobic streak to her that would have made us turn away.%0D %0D James Dean would not have lived to be an old man. If he didn't die in the car accident, he would have died from the plague.%0D %0D Diana would be co-starring in a reality show; with Sarah. And we'd be LOVING it.%0D %0D Harvey Milk would have become Mayor of San Francisco and Dianne Feinstein would have been long forgotten. Its likely he would have died from the plague in office.%0D %0D Jonathan Larson would have been a one-hit wonder and would have ruined his comeback attempt by agreeing to co-write Spider-man with Julie Taymor.%0D %0D Gilda Radner would have won an Oscar by now.%0D %0D John Belushi would have ended up playing Dan Conner or Al Bundy. Jim Belushi would never have had any career at all.%0D %0D Chris Farley would have been on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew by now. Ditto for Corey Haim. Ditto for Dana Plato (who also would have had at least one sex tape released).%0D %0D MLK Jr would have been a Vice Presidential nominee and he would currently be a thorn in Obama's side.

by Anonymousreply 4805/08/2011

I thought I was old but the pop culture references on this site are almost always BEFORE the 70's. I am sure most of you queens are shut in's who really can't get around anymore. So my questions is: How did you all learn to use the internet?

by Anonymousreply 4905/08/2011

R49 has figured out the secret for staying young FOREVER!

by Anonymousreply 5005/08/2011

Diana would be the trophy wife of a super rich man. At the time of her death there had been negative stories about her in the press for some time. As much as she enjoyed the attention, the negativity would have overwhelmed her at some point and she'd eventually decide it would be better to be seen as a respectable wife.

Marilyn would have become a comic/character actress ala Shelley Winters. She was already trying to stretch herself as an actress, once the famous face and figure were irretrievable she would have realized how much unhappiness her looks had brought her. She'd be married or in a long term relationship with someone on the production side of the movie business and be involved in charity work for orphans or abused kids.

by Anonymousreply 5105/08/2011

What about James Dean and Monty Clift?%0D %0D I think both of them would have been alcoholics with a career in ruins. Their lives ending long before they died.

by Anonymousreply 5205/08/2011

Like I said in the last such thread, I think the sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll of the sixties would have hit James Dean HARD. He probably would have turned on, tuned in, and dropped out. I have no idea if he would have become a hippie, a druggie, a revolutionary, or have come out, but he wouldn't have stayed quietly making movies in LA.%0D %0D If he was still alive by 1970, he would have been dead broke, and probably made some horrible low-budget horror movies, before making a comeback on 80s TV.

by Anonymousreply 5305/08/2011

I'm sorry, but some of you have JFK Jr seriously overrated.

by Anonymousreply 5405/08/2011

If poor Alexander Hamilton hadn't been shot by Aaron Burr and was still alive, he would have ended up as a much bigger historical figure--the oldest person who ever lived!

by Anonymousreply 5505/08/2011

Judy would have dried out, received the first liver transplant,and formed the first rehab, The Judy Garland Center.

In addition, she would have invented the Thighmaster long before Suzanne Somers, creating a massive fortune.

Finally, she and Betty White would costar in a remake of "Thelma and Louise", a story about two old broads on a road trip. With guns.

by Anonymousreply 5605/08/2011

[quote]Halston would have been like Calvin Klein by now. %0D %0D Except that - years before dying - Halston sold his company - including the rights to his name - to JC Penney for something like 800 million dollars. in other words, he sold out and lost all control to his product. %0D %0D Calvin Klein never did that, he's always had control of the Calvin Klein name, even at his hardest of times.%0D %0D So, short answer, no he wouldn't be like Calvin.

by Anonymousreply 5705/08/2011

Monty Clift was lucky that he made it as far as he did. He had really serious health problems for a very long time even without all the drugging and drinking. The boy was a mess!

by Anonymousreply 5805/08/2011

Heather O'Rourke would have been starring in Poltergeist XXXIV.

by Anonymousreply 5905/08/2011

JFK, Jr. would not have gone into politics. No way. He didn't have the killer political instinct nor confidence of his father. Jr. would have been involved in the Internet Social Networking scene, like Facebook or Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 6005/08/2011

Calvin Klein never did that, he's always had control of the Calvin Klein name, even at his hardest of times.

r57.... Not true....

Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation (Dutch pronunciation: [%CB%88f%C9%AAl%C9%AAps v%C9%91n %CB%88h%C3%B8%CB%90s%C9%99n]) (NYSE: PVH) is an American apparel company, and the world's largest shirt company. It owns brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Van Heusen, Izod, Arrow, G. H. Bass and licenses brands such as Geoffrey Beene, BCBG Max Azria, Chaps, Sean John, Kenneth Cole New York, JOE Joseph Abboud and MICHAEL Michael Kors.

by Anonymousreply 6105/08/2011

After haeavy probing and numerous investigations, and despite her denials, it would have been found that FloJo had indeed doped durig Olympic competitions. All her medals would have been stripped from her, and - having perjured herself - she would have done time in some local women's facility. %0D %0D All her white male counterparts - professional and otherwise - who also testified in court on their own behalf, would have made it scott free, unscathed.

by Anonymousreply 6205/08/2011

I always wonder how big river Phoenix would gave got.

I used to wonder that too, until he stuck it in my ass.

by Anonymousreply 6305/08/2011

r61... and?%0D %0D That doesn't mean all those designers don't have a say on what kind of shirt Van Heusen can put out with their name on them.%0D %0D In Halston's case, he relinquished that.

by Anonymousreply 6405/08/2011

Had RFK not been assassinated, he wasn't even going to win the '68 Demo nomination, let alone the Presidency.

HHH was already ahead in delegates in early June, 1968. Remember, many delegates back then were not won through the primary process. HHH entered the race on 4/27/68, too late to get signed up for the primaries, but he was already well on his way to the nomination.

LBJ and Eugene McCarthy and a majority of the party insiders loathed RFK. They would have made sure RFK would not won the nomination.

Plus, Nixon was running well ahead of RFK in general election polls at the time of the assassination.

RFK wasn't half the well-liked politico JFK was.

by Anonymousreply 6605/08/2011

Kurt Cobain would have gone solo and divorced Courtney. I wonder if he could have gotten clean to get custody of Frances Bean.

by Anonymousreply 6705/08/2011

Florence Ballard would have written a very juicy tell-all book and made a fortune from it (which would have been stolen and wasted by her husband).%0D %0D The tell-all book would have ruined Mary Wilson and defended Diana Ross.%0D %0D The Supremes reunion would have been a big success, with Diana, Flo and Cindy raking in the big bucks while Mary continued to sulk.

by Anonymousreply 6805/08/2011

"The tell-all book would have ruined Mary Wilson and defended Diana Ross"%0D %0D %0D %0D Diana Ross fanboi alert

by Anonymousreply 6905/08/2011

If Aaliyah had lived, I think it would have stopped or at least slowed down Beyonce's ascension.

by Anonymousreply 7005/08/2011

Judy Garland would have had a very successful variety show in the 1970's , similar to Carol Burnett. Then she would have replaced Barbara Stanwyck in "The Thorn Birds"

by Anonymousreply 7105/08/2011

Aalyiah would have had a successful acting career. She was so beautiful and really could sing, a shame she died so young. Her death was just a few days before 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 7205/08/2011

River Phoenix would have Leo DiCaprio's career.

by Anonymousreply 7305/08/2011

River Phoenix would be lucky to have Joachin Phoenix's career, much less Leo's. %0D %0D The family of origin was so messed up that River was guaranteed to have major psychological problems as an adult, and he wouldn't have aged as well as well as his younger brother. River had the kind of near-girlish prettyness that fades early, and tends to get gnomelike over thirty. Nobody would be asking him to play Johnny Cash, that's for damn sure.

by Anonymousreply 7405/09/2011

For the record, I've met Mary Wilson and she was a real sweet lady.

by Anonymousreply 7505/09/2011

Marilyn Monroe would fade into obscurity along with James Dean (who would have died of overdose) and River Phoenix. Only some obscure hipsters would worship her. JFK Jr. would the major figure in social networking/new media business, just like Arianna Huffington is right now. He would be also one of the staunch supporters of Obama, along with the face of major charitable foundation, Princess Di. Judy Garland would be the person telling Whoopi to shut up on the View.

by Anonymousreply 7601/27/2013

I don't know, but I kindof think RFK would have won the presidency in '68. and part of the reason is people were still in love with JFK, in only because he was assassinated.

by Anonymousreply 7701/27/2013

RFK would not have won the presidency in 1968, by the time he died Humphrey already had enough delegates to seal the democratic nomination. Nevertheless the RFK campaign was gaining popularity, and was on a winning streak when it all came to an end.

by Anonymousreply 7801/27/2013

JFK Jr would never run for public office. Otherwise people would dig into his parentage.

by Anonymousreply 7901/27/2013

R78: I hope you aren't saying he died for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 8001/27/2013

How could RFK have died "for" anything? IMHO his death was a senseless tragedy, for all the conspiracy theories nobody really knows why he was killed. It can't have been to prevent him from winning the presidency, because he didn't have the delegates to get nomninated by his own party.

He was a remarkable man, which is why I know so much about him.

by Anonymousreply 8101/27/2013

but it's also possible that, had RFK not been assassinated, HHH might have become president and that alone would have changed history.

by Anonymousreply 8201/27/2013

R81: I agree, and what did President Kennedy die for? Lincoln? it simply goes with the territory, a risk.

I notice how often he said "it seems to me" his opinion, but maybe i'm too used to today's politicians, but Bobby seemed so exceptionally kind to be a politician.

by Anonymousreply 8301/27/2013

He was remarkable man, intellectually, genuinely cared, and not bad looking

by Anonymousreply 8401/27/2013

Diana would have continued her usual charity work. Perhaps done some honorary ambassador work, too. She would have always been a star.

The Royals would not have been seen as favorably as they have been in recent years. No one would have given a rats ass about Charles and Camilla. Will and Kate of course, but Diana would have stolen the show, as she should have. Harry's wild antics would not be as prevalant.

And there would have been no QUEEN movie with the ridiculous casting of Helen Mirren (who was much too pretty to be portraying someone who resembled Russell Brand in her prime)

by Anonymousreply 8501/27/2013

Like Monty Clift, Marilyn was so messed up that I think she would've died prematurely anyway. However, I do sometimes wonder, had she made it to her 80s, would she have retired gracefully to a quiet existence with her menagerie like Kim Novak and Doris Day, or would she be an attention whore like Mamie Van Doren, posting her old naked titties on her website. Or would she still be working and experience a popularity resurgence like Betty White?

by Anonymousreply 8601/28/2013

If Jessica Savitch were still alive, she and I would be partying out of a cookie jar full of the best blow between here and Miami.

by Anonymousreply 8701/28/2013

I remember seeing a video of a reporter asking RFK why he did a 180 on Vietnam, and RFK addressed his past beliefs and why he thought they were correct at the time, and then listed his current beliefs and why he believed they were true now.

No sound bites, no turning the question back on the reporter, no tears about how the Irish suffered in The Great Famine -- he just answered the question in a thorough, adult way that is greatly missed now.

by Anonymousreply 8801/28/2013

No, but then I'm not one of those people for whom life froze as memory in 1983, or 1991, or 2002...

by Anonymousreply 8901/28/2013

As to RFK's supposed "greatness," the most recent tapes establish, as Slate's Fred Kaplan has observed, that he was a hawk on the Cuban Missile Crisis from day 1 to day 13. Fortunately, JFK overruled ALL of his advisers.

by Anonymousreply 9001/28/2013

R48- JKK Jr's wife was not his beard. He was not gay and I thought it was a love match????

by Anonymousreply 9101/28/2013

Had Tanny LeClercq not stopped dancing in 1956, Suzanne Farrell's career might have been much briefer.

by Anonymousreply 9201/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.