Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Betty White Finally Talks about her Relationship with Bea Arthur

She also discusses good friend Liberace.

by Anonymousreply 7302/09/2013

Betty gets to be gracious and Bea gets to be the peculiar cunt. Ahhhh, the advantage of outliving the people you hate . . .

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2011

Between Betty and especially Cary Grant's daughter I'm starting to question what Cary Grant was really into sexually. His daughter seems to REALLY want to dispel the rumors that he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2011

r9, don't daughters of famous men ALWAYS want to do that? And need it be explained why?

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2011

r12, your post doesn't make sense. "Sorry, but no? "But no WHAT? And the part about Betty "rolling over TO someone?" Can you explain what the hell your post meant, in English, please?

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2011

"don't daughters of famous men ALWAYS want to do that?"%0D %0D Thasch an intereschting thing to schay. . .

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2011

Bea thought she was the STAR of GG and really didn't like the fact that the other girls got so much attention once the show hit it big. She also didn't like that Betty was always breaking the wall between the characters and the audience when something went wrong during the taping of the show. Bea was a Broadway Baby and didn't like acknowledging the live audience. Betty apparently talked to them all the time during breaks in the show.%0D %0D Yay for Betty, boo to Bea.

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2011

Well everyone else is dead so she can say what she wants there is no one to dispute her except Bea's son. I wish she hadn't said that Bea didn't like her. Who cares? Why say it? I still like her but respect her a little less now. No reason for her to throw that out there except to have to last word.

by Anonymousreply 1705/07/2011

The previous poster is right. Bea had a very different idea about acting. She was not a fan of playing before a TV audience. She wanted to film on a closed set and play the tape before an audience to get the spontaneous laughter. Betty on the other hand, loved the audience and drew strength from it. Betty may have be correct that Bea didn't like her, but I will bet money that it was mutual. The bottom line is, they were/are human. How many of us could be put in a working situation together or seven years and NOT have some people we were closer to than others? I am always surprised at fans reaction to in fighting on a set. I think people want to believe they are the characters they play, and not the flawed human beings that they really are.

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2011

I think there's dislike on both sides. Bea for the reasons mentioned above, and I always thought Betty wasn't too fond over Bea's decision to leave. Initially Bea wanted to wrap it up after the fifth season, but they got her to do a sixth, then apparently really bent ass over backwards to get her to do a seventh. Betty seems more of the "Let's keep a good thing going" type of mentality.%0D %0D But I wish "hate" wouldn't be used. Betty and Bea, while not close, certainly weren't mortal enemies either. Betty wrote in one of her books about how Bea and her were both going through crisis with their moms during the first season, and would often talk about it in their dressing rooms. Rue also wrote in her book that Bea and Betty would regularly dine in the cafeteria during taping breaks.%0D %0D I like them both. Bea gets a bad rep for being a bitch, but she left a shitload of money for a gay and lesbian organization in the City after she died. While she had her ways, she also appeared to be a very giving and caring person.

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2011

Betty also said on Joy Behar's show that the ol' gals didn't get along too well. I was surprised to hear her talk about it. Usually, actors portray every set as "hail fellow well met."

She claimed she had no clue why Bea didn't like her.

In any case, there was no love lost. Musto quoted Bea years ago as saying, "Rue was a dear, Estelle was an angel, and Betty was a cunt."

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2011

Betty White gets the last laugh, and of all of them she's the one who understood and cared about PR the most anyway. Anything she's had to hide - and there was some - is long buried.

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2011

As someone who saw a few GG episodes taped live, I can confirm that Betty acknowledged the studio audience, while the other three leads did not. But it was a quick smile and hello between takes; it's not as if she stopped tape to do a stand-up routine. My friend who worked on the show for several years tells me there was never any sign of discord on the set. The actresses were all professionals with each other and also with the crew and staff. This supposed "feud" has taken on a life of its own in the last few years, particularly here on DL. The women may not have been the closest of friends, but many colleagues are not. There were hardly Alexix vs. Krystal diva-like antics backstage.

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2011

I remember when Rue spoke at Barracuda years ago when she was promoting her book she talked about how Bea could be difficult - a lot - even though Rue loved Bea and they were close.

I also seem to remember her saying that Bea thought the show was supposed to be more like Maude, with her as the lead and the other three women supporting it and she never really got over it.

I have a feeling Betty has a bit of Rose in her in wanting everyone to like her. She's still working it, though she's endearing, to me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2011

God'll get you for that Betty

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2011

If they did dislike each other, then I have to give them credit for not letting it show in the actual shows themselves. You can see Bea touching Betty all the time during some of their scenes. She is either holding her hand or rubbing her arm or hugging her. There is also a blooper scene on youtube where Betty fucks up a line and Bea corrects her and they then have a nice little chuckle about it. There are also pictures of them taken at some awards show not that long ago and all three of the girls look happy to be together.%0D %0D Elaine Stritch has claimed that she was in the running for one of the roles on GG, but said she was glad she didn't get it because she would have hated working with Betty.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2011

[quote]I wish she hadn't said that Bea didn't like her.

It was the truth.

[quote]Who cares?

We do or we wouldn't be talking about it.

[quote]Why say it?

Joy asked her directly about it.

You're just sulking because you like Bea Arthur and worry this paints her in a bad light. But it's the truth.

by Anonymousreply 3005/07/2011

It had to be the Dorothy role. Bea was last to join in.

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2011

Elaine, darling, if I had had all those roles you claim to have been seriously considered for, I'd be even more over-exposed than I am now.

So sorry we didn't get a chance to do a long series together. I put Bea in her place, I'd love to have had a shot at an even bigger cunt, like you!

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2011

Are you Betty's agent R30? What the fuck do you know? %0D %0D ------------------------------------------%0D %0D Bea Arthur Leaves $300,000 For Gay Homeless Charity %0D %0D Late Golden Girls star Bea Arthur didn't forget her gay fans in her will - the actress left $300,000 to help fund a shelter for homeless homosexual youths.%0D %0D Arthur's estate has bestowed the huge sum to the Ali Forney Center in New York, which helps home young members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities who have been disowned by their families. %0D %0D Bosses at the charity have confirmed the money will go towards a new 12-person property, which is to be named in Arthur's honor. %0D %0D Ali Forney Center Executive Director Carl Siciliano says, "We work with hundreds of young people who are rejected by their families because of who they are. We are overwhelmed with gratitude that Bea saw that LGBT youth deserve as much love and support as any other young person, and that she placed so much value in the work we do to protect them, and to help them rebuild their lives." %0D %0D Arthur lost her battle with cancer in April. She was 86.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3305/07/2011

Reason behind the feud? Betty never let Bea forget that she was a slut who caught the clap during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2011

I agree that it is interesting that Betty waited until the actors could not defend themselves to toss rocks. She seems really manipulative to me. If Bea disliked her then wonder. Also Bea may not have been the star but the other gals couldn't carry on without her.

by Anonymousreply 3505/07/2011

Wow Bea called Betty a cunt? Seems Betty had more than a little Sue Ann Nivens in her back then. I just don't buy that Betty "has no idea" why Bea didn't like her. When someone calls you a cunt you have to at least have a clue as to what's going on. I think was Betty was (at the very least)passive aggressive. Bea doesn't seem the type to that play game.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2011

If I had known that, I would have signed them up for Real Housewives of Shady Pines.

by Anonymousreply 3705/07/2011

people call me a cunt all the time and I have no clue, R36

by Anonymousreply 3905/08/2011

r38, great liberties were taken with the number of children/grandchildren the Girls had and how old everyone was - it changed depending on the episode. That massive GG thread from a while back went into detail about this. Back in the 80s, tv shows didn't pay attention to continuity like they do now.

by Anonymousreply 4005/08/2011

Sue Ann was the best part of MTM show.

by Anonymousreply 4105/08/2011

It's kind of dishonest for her to say she doesn't know why Bea didn't like her. Betty tried to tell Bea how to deliver her lines during the first season, before the show was a hit. That's something Bea would never stand for, and she didn't appreciate the way Betty treated her initially when the show was getting off the ground.

by Anonymousreply 4205/08/2011

Explain how you know that, r42? It's just more supposition.

by Anonymousreply 4305/08/2011

Interesting how the conversation turns from talk of Bea Arthur to talk of Hitler and Bin Laden. Appropriate, really.

by Anonymousreply 4405/08/2011

I have no respect for Betty White and can not understand America's love affair with her. She was the least interesting character on the GG IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 4505/08/2011

[quote]I agree that it is interesting that Betty waited until the actors could not defend themselves to toss rocks.

Oh, please. She didn't "toss rocks." She said Bea didn't care much for her, but she loved Bea. That's hardly "tossing rocks."

Bea was a sour old bitch, even when she was younger - a sour old bitch with razor-sharp timing. But still sour, still old, and still a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4605/08/2011

r33, Betty did not say Bea was a bitch. On the contrary, she said she adored her. All she said was that Bea didn't like her, and that's the truth as she saw it.

Giving money to gay men in your will is wonderful, but it doesn't make you an unimpeachable saint.

by Anonymousreply 4705/08/2011

I thought it was nice how Betty made a point of saying how young Estelle Getty was, and how they really had to work to make her look older. Getty was younger than both Betty and Bea.

by Anonymousreply 4805/08/2011

This thread is why I love Datalounge. And I never watched "The Golden Girls."

by Anonymousreply 4905/08/2011

"Elaine Stritch has claimed that she was in the running for one of the roles on GG, but said she was glad she didn't get it because she would have hated working with Betty."

In "At Liberty," Elaine tells a long story about the audition process for Golden Girls, and how she blew it by going to far and making an off-color joke that was either going to endear her to the powers that were or make them dislike her. Turns out she made the wrong choice on that one and there was no going back.

She said nothing in the show about hating the idea of working with Betty.

by Anonymousreply 5005/08/2011

Bea was an older, predatory lesbian. She made many advances towards Betty during the GG run, all rebuffed. She even sent Betty a dildo for her birthday.

by Anonymousreply 5105/08/2011

I was a serious artist. Betty is comic relief.

by Anonymousreply 5205/08/2011

[quote]She even sent Betty a dildo for her birthday.

Talk about a gift that keeps on giving!

by Anonymousreply 5305/08/2011

Betty is a very competitive and ambitious actress and that didn't always sit well with Bea, who thought she was the star. She thought Betty was a scene-stealer and pushy. But they both had a great respect and admiration for each other's talent and were always cordial.%0D %0D Their relationship became tense and difficult after the fifth season ended. Bea was tired of doing the show and wanted it to end, but Betty was determined to keep going. Rue and Estelle were more neutral about it, but were willing to continue. After offering the ladies a huge amount of money, they all signed for two more seasons, but Bea was fed up and regretted it. She became very testy and difficult to deal with.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5405/08/2011

A young actress with Bea Arthur's looks could never make it today, even if her comic timing was as brilliant as Bea's. Entertainment is entirely vanilla now.

by Anonymousreply 5505/08/2011

True, R55. A lot of actresses (and actors) from the past would never make in contemporary vanilla Hollywood. Bette Davis, for example, wouldn't get arrested in today's Hollywood. She probably wouldn't even be able to get a one-shot guest part on a TV show. %0D %0D This would be a good idea for a thread - "famous actors from the past who could never make it today." I can't start threads, but maybe someone else will.

by Anonymousreply 5605/08/2011

I think Betty White is probably a real cunt if you knew her personally. People suddenly love her because she is old with a foul mouth.

by Anonymousreply 5705/08/2011

r50, Elaine made her comment about Betty in an short interview I read in Newsweek a while back. I'll try to find it.

by Anonymousreply 5805/08/2011

I read that same interview, r58. What Elaine said was, was that she was OFFERED the role of Dorothy (which was a lie, like so many of Elaine's stories), and that she turned it down because she couldn't deal with having to face Betty White every morning.

The comment itself was a direct steal from Vivien Leigh, who claimed the same thing about Bette Davis ("I could just about face Joan Crawford every morning, but not Bette Davis") when she turned down the chance to replace Crawford in "...Charlotte."

Bea was always first choice for Dorothy, but when she initially turned it down, then they began looking - but Stritch wasn't offered the part.

by Anonymousreply 5905/09/2011

[quote]I think Betty White is probably a real cunt if you knew her personally.

And you base this on ... what?

by Anonymousreply 6005/09/2011

r46 nails it. I had the chance to work with Bea on a project and, while incredibly talented, she was indeed a "sour old bitch."

by Anonymousreply 6105/09/2011

I've never heard that fabulous quote from Vivien Leigh re: Charlotte....thanks for posting r59! %0D %0D Did she say it at the time of the film or years later?

by Anonymousreply 6205/09/2011

[quote]Bea was a tough broad but there is no way in hell she hated Betty for no reason.

Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 6305/09/2011

[quote]I am always surprised at fans reaction to in fighting on a set. I think people want to believe they are the characters they play, and not the flawed human beings that they really are.

I don't get it either. I certainly don't like everyone I work with so why would they? These people who get so upset that everyone isn't lovey dovey and formed life long friendships on the set need to get a grip and grow-up.

by Anonymousreply 6405/09/2011

R60 - just based on a feeling I get about her. What do you base your gut feelings on?

by Anonymousreply 6505/09/2011

[quote]Did she say it at the time of the film or years later?

At the time. She was offered the film not long after she had had the manic breakdown that forced her to withdraw from her musical "Tovarich," so she was probably at her most manic, and wittiest.

by Anonymousreply 6605/09/2011

To those knocking Betty for answering truthfully, I have to disagree. On the contrary, I think it was classy of her never to mention it during Bea's lifetime (including in her book). But now that it's been heavily reported for so many years, including by Rue in her book and in the anecdote Rue told at Bea's Broadway memorial service about Bea calling Betty a cunt (which I think it was rather tasteless of Rue to tell), and with Bea gone, Betty probably figures what's the point of covering it up anymore? What purpose is served by continuing to put on a happy face and whitewash it when the truth is out there?%0D %0D Also, I call major bullshit on the person who claims Betty gave Bea line readings in the first season. What is your source for this? I can certainly buy that Betty may have been bossy on the set in various ways that drove Bea up the wall. But it strains credulity to think that somebody as seasoned as Betty White would have committed the unthinkable show biz breach of giving another star line readings. And particularly when that star was a crusty old bitch like Bea Arthur? No way!

by Anonymousreply 6705/10/2011

Nobody except eldergay theatre queens know who this Elaine person is, I've never heard of her until this thread.

NBC wouldn't cast a virtual unknown as it's lead in one of their sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 6802/09/2013

On this Merv Griffin interview Betty and Bea hold hands during the interview

by Anonymousreply 6902/09/2013

Merv Griffin was still on in 1985?!

by Anonymousreply 7002/09/2013

R54 sounds the most plausible to me.

by Anonymousreply 7102/09/2013

[quote] Betty tried to tell Bea how to deliver her lines during the first season, before the show was a hit.

The show was a hit from day one.

by Anonymousreply 7202/09/2013

My neighbor who lived to be 90 reminded a lot of people of Betty White in her later years, and indeed from her 80s on she was a very agreeable, fun-loving, sweet old lady but many of us remember years ago when she could be a bitch on wheels and had very contentious relationships with many members of her family and some neighbors. In short, she was a human being and not a saint.

by Anonymousreply 7302/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.