Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The first US album to have 4 top ten hits according to Billboard. It was number one for 31 non-consecutive weeks.

What were some of your memories of 1977 that Rumours were a part of?

by Anonymousreply 14112/01/2013

Daydreaming about Lindsay Buckingham while sitting on my rec room bean bag chair with the massive earphones on.

by Anonymousreply 105/05/2011

yummy!

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2011

I just remember that the songs were played endlessly on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2011

I liked that their album was soft without being wimpy. Liked the variety of voices/writing. My brother and I used to fight about music but we both enjoyed this record; my mom loved the wispy, romantic "Oh Daddy," an often overlooked track.

My mom is very old now and my brother is no longer with us, but when I hear those songs I think back to summer in our ramshackle but comfortable old house, with that album playing everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2011

I remember learning that Mick Fleetwood was bi and may have slept with Lindsay Buckingham. Very hot thought for a young teenage gay.

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2011

I like that #4. Nice memories. A little sad too.

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2011

I wasn't born then, so I guess I heard it on classic rock radio, but the song Dreams brings me back to the afternoon when a neighborhood boy and I sucked each other off 3 times in his bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2011

Wonderful. Had to buy it after seeing Glee. Roommates and such always had a copy & I didn't. Do now!

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2011

I understand Rumours is #2 on iTunes now... Nice to see a younger generation discover REAL music...

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2011

I was about ten years old when Rumours came out. My older sister and my aunt were both about 5 years old and played the album constantly. The songs remind me of them wearing the disco looking dresses for prom and it also makes me think of weekends at the beach. Way back when I didn't have bills to pay and heartaches to get over. Styx, Queen, ELO, Linda Ronstadt and even Nick Gilder all have that effect on me.

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2011

I had a serious girl-crush on Christine McVie. (Actually I still do!) I loved that her maiden name was Christine Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 1105/06/2011

r10, your older sister and aunt were 5? They were wearing disco dresses? wow.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2011

Yeah, I liked Christine too, seemed more level-headed than Stevie & had the British accent...& the thrilling, low-pitched voice.

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2011

I never got what people saw in Stevie she looks dirty.

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2011

Every song was so good on that album. There was no filler in it. It just brings back lovely memories of my youth.

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2011

I got my Rumors album free from a radio station promotion.

by Anonymousreply 1605/07/2011

Billy Joel's The Stranger.

by Anonymousreply 1705/07/2011

Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 1805/07/2011

I was a senior in high school and had the 8 track... Smoked copious amounts of weed while listening to it. Lots of parties and sex, too.

by Anonymousreply 1905/07/2011

"The doctor said 'Stevie, if you do cocaine one more time, you will destroy your nose'. So I had my assistant start blowing cocaine up my butt with a straw."

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2011

tell us about the sex r19

by Anonymousreply 2105/07/2011

All I remember thinking is, "Jesus Christ, the Sex Pistols album is out, the Clash album is out and all they play on the radio is this stuff that is comforting to the baby boomers who have such a vice grip on programming they will NEVER let go."

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2011

You should have bought a radio that allowed you to change the station.

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2011

Most of the young people in 1977 that bought that album were still part of the baby boomer generation, born before 1965. More young people liked Fleetwood Mac than The Sex Pistols or the Clash.

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2011

The hot vinyl seats of my mother's yellow hatchback Honda that felt so good on my bare legs after swimming lessons.

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2011

Why did they use the British spelling of the word as opposed to the American spelling? The same goes for Chicago's "Colour My World"... did the American spelling take precedence over the British spelling of words AFTER the '70s?

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2011

The two Brits in the band called the shots.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2011

It was played over and over and over again in college. (Along with Carole King's Tapestry.)%0D %0D Punk hit hard (though not with many people at my college)---it was such a relief.

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2011

I was five years old when Rumours came out. My boomer folks bought the LP and it got a lot of play around our house for the next few years. I remember my mom would play 'Go Your Own Way' over and over. Then when I was about 16 I rediscovered Fleetwood Mac, bought Rumours on CD and they've been a favorite ever since.

Second Hand News - One of the album's underrated tracks, if that's possible. Predicted the direction of Buckingham's songwriting which grew in interesting if somewhat eccentric directions post-Rumours. Won't ya lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff.

Dreams - And off this album lifts into the stratosphere. The song that created "Stevie Nicks, rock goddess."

Never Going Back Again - Nice small track. But it's my partner's favorite Mac song of all of them, so it just goes to show ... something.

Don't Stop - The album's most overexposed song, thanks to Bill Clinton. Hard to believe it's been almost 20 years just since that happened!!

Go Your Own Way - Buckingham answers "Dreams." Utter perfection. Best track on the album, best classic rock song of all time?

Songbird - Pretty, but a little self-indulgent. But then it was the late 70s.

The Chain - The moment where the music drops, John McVie keeps playing his bass riff and then the guitar, drums and vocals kick back in is just pure transcendence.

You Make Loving Fun - This song is surprisingly fun to dance to. A highlight.

I Don't Want to Know - Another underrated track. Nicks having fun.

Oh Daddy - Great late-night song.

Gold Dust Woman - And the album collapses into beautiful decadence.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2011

"Nice to see a younger generation discover REAL music... "%0D %0D Oh, for chrissakes - you do know you do nothing to advance your "cause" by saying things like this, right? Think back - WAY back - to when you were young and your parents/older people would say condescending things like this to you. Remember how you felt? Well, now that's you. EVERY generation thinks their music/pop culture was the best. And, funnily enough, they're all correct. Because it's a subjective experience.

by Anonymousreply 3005/07/2011

Nice analysis R29. You Make Loving Fun had some of that disco feel to it from the time.

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2011

My memory: Being so fucking sick of hearing those songs.

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2011

R30 thinks a lecture changes people. What an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3305/07/2011

"Go Your Own Way" is one of the best rock songs of all time. I love how he sticks it to Stevie: "packin' up, shackin' up's all you wanna do."

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2011

Yes, loved the songs but they were overplayed at the time.

by Anonymousreply 3505/07/2011

[quote]All I remember thinking is, "Jesus Christ, the Sex Pistols album is out, the Clash album is out and all they play on the radio is this stuff that is comforting to the baby boomers who have such a vice grip on programming they will NEVER let go."

I was in London in 1977 and Capital Radio was playing a lot of Sex Pistols. CBS Records initially refused to release The Clash in the US because it was not "radio friendly."

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2011

I loved 1977.

Rumours, Dancing Queen, I Feel Love, Farrah - Cheryl on Charlies Angels, Star Wars, Andy Gibb, Saturday Night Fever, Punk...

by Anonymousreply 3705/07/2011

Am I the only one that thinks the double album follow-up, TUSK, is better? It is pretty impressive overall and much more musically adventurous than RUMOURS, especially "Tusk".

by Anonymousreply 3805/07/2011

I love "Tusk" (the song). Don't remember much of the rest of that album.

by Anonymousreply 3905/07/2011

r38 Yes. Tusk is a bloated, pretentious piece of cocaine fueled crap.

by Anonymousreply 4005/07/2011

[quote]Am I the only one that thinks the double album follow-up, TUSK, is better?

No.

by Anonymousreply 4105/07/2011

I've been playing The Chain over and over since watching Glee. What a great song.

by Anonymousreply 4205/07/2011

My Step-father was obsessed with this Album and Stevie Nicks, that is how I know who OP is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4305/07/2011

Stevie, Stevie, Stevie!

I was the real female talent in FM.

by Anonymousreply 4405/07/2011

No, r38. That's actually a very popular opinion.

by Anonymousreply 4505/07/2011

Rumours is pretty much perfection. Tusk has moments of great brilliance but is too sprawling, weird and unfocused to be considered "better" in any honest sense.

by Anonymousreply 4605/07/2011

The album is still number 3 on i tunes. Pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4705/07/2011

Were the songs murdered on "Glee"?

by Anonymousreply 4805/07/2011

Just drugs are all, r109.

I thought Glee handled the songs well and with respect, worth watching. As much as I can't stand Kristin Chenoweth I like her flawed self on Glee.

by Anonymousreply 4905/07/2011

Good lord, look at Christine McVie's makeup in this video at 37 seconds in.

Does she harbor any ill will towards Stevie Nicks for being so much prettier?

by Anonymousreply 5005/07/2011

Listening to the album again after years I'm liking "The Chain" best; great song.

by Anonymousreply 5105/07/2011

I prefer the original Fleetwood Mac, the British blues band, with Peter Green on lead guitar.

btw, Peter wrote "Black Magic Woman", which was a big hit for Santana.

I never got the Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham version of this band, the Mac were essentially a new band. They certainly were no longer a blues band.

I always thought Mick Fleetwood and John McVie simply should have changed the name of their band when Stevie and Lindsey joined.

Christine McVie also had her own band before she joined the most successful version of Fleetwood Mac.

by Anonymousreply 5205/07/2011

Buckingham Nicks' debut album had some great singles on it. I wonder what Lindsey and Stevie would have created had they not joined FM.

by Anonymousreply 5305/07/2011

Frottage in my living room, before I even knew what it was called.

by Anonymousreply 5405/07/2011

I love that this was Fleetwood Mac's eleventh album!

by Anonymousreply 5505/09/2011

Major part of college life when I was a sophomore along with Songs in the Key of Life and Station to Station. But fast forward about 6 years to 6 am at the Saint and the DJ went from Tina Turner's version of Let's Stay Together into Stevie doing Dreams and it was epic. I remember at one point turning around while dancing (or whatever you call moving to morning music) and catching the eye of one of the other dancers who was having the same connection with the song that I was. There was a look of shared recognition that passed between us and I had that whole Dancer From the Dance moment. It was pretty damn amzing and at age 54 remains as vivid as if it were yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 5605/09/2011

We had ABBA in the UK, they were much better.

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2011

ABBA never spoke of reality nor sparked the genius bits Fleetwood Mac did. Silly superficial euro geese.

R29 - thanks! I loved their combination of backstabbing, secret-messaging, masturbatory, singing, gloriously-rocking bunch of druggy, loony, ego-nutjob relationship smashing music.

by Anonymousreply 5805/09/2011

In 8th grade in 1977/8 I had a classmate, who was a girl I was simultaneously in awe and terrified of. She was a badass, talked back to teachers, constantly got caught smoking in the bathroom, etc.%0D %0D In gym class one day, during our "Jazzercise" track in phys ed, the teacher put on "Go Your Own Way" and for the first time that year I saw pure joy and happiness on that girl's face. She was singing along with abandon and no sense of self-consciousness as we were doing our knee lift kicks. It was just one of those little moments that stayed with me always.

by Anonymousreply 5905/09/2011

Lindsay Buckingham nude in a pool with a guitar:

by Anonymousreply 6005/09/2011

First album I ever bought.

by Anonymousreply 6105/09/2011

Any DL insiders know if Lindsey and Christine ever had an affair during the Tango In the Night era? It's a "rumour" that's floated around in Fleetwood Macdom for many years, but if you come right out and try to discuss it, a lot of fans start freaking out.

It seems like the two of them single handedly made Tango, even though I know a lot of LB's work on it was re-purposed from a scrapped solo album. By their own admission, it was basically L & C up at L's studio working on the whole thing. Mick and John came in to record their parts, and Stevie swanned in after a solo tour with a few songs that they haphazardly inserted into the record.

I always thought that something may have been building after Lindsey played on Christine's 1984 solo album.

After Say You Will came out, it seemed like there was animosity between the two of them. Lindsey didn't have very many nice things to say about Christine, despite at one time basically calling her his musical soul mate:

"She and I have a real valid kind of rapport between us, something that was there before we even met. It%E2%80%99s like she can play the piano and I can play the guitar just wonderfully along with her. It%E2%80%99s almost like parallel lines during our formative years of music until we met, and it gave us a lot of common ground"

by Anonymousreply 6205/09/2011

It was the first album I bought with my own money, too. About seven dollars out of my $20/month allowance. I was 8. Thanks to my sister, by the next summer I acquired Hotel California, Supertramp's Breakfast in America, and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I was the 70s tween.

by Anonymousreply 6305/09/2011

A few years ago, VH1 had a special on them reuniting for a new album. They still drove each other crazy. Lindsay is an egotistical jerk who thought it should be a double album even though Stevie said their fans didn't really buy music anymore and would splash out the money for that. Stevie was all kind of awesome with her talismans for the studio. She really seemed to be smart about the music business.

by Anonymousreply 6405/09/2011

Oh Christ, the album that never seemed to die.

Got sick of it fast.

by Anonymousreply 6505/09/2011

LIndsey at him most gorgeous circa 1992. As wierd as he was.

by Anonymousreply 6605/10/2011

"Oh Christ, the album that never seemed to die."%0D %0D It's back... number 11 on the Billboard album chart.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6705/13/2011

Reminds me of coke, disco and my first 12 boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 6805/30/2011

I think the 1975 Fleetwood Mac album with Stevie's Rhiannon and Landslide was even better.

by Anonymousreply 6908/31/2011

[quote]We had ABBA in the UK, they were much better.

Don't be silly. The Kick Inside came out in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 7008/31/2011

I LOVE this album.

by Anonymousreply 7108/31/2011

[quote]Why did they use the British spelling of the word as opposed to the American spelling?%0D %0D Maybe because three of the five band members were British??

by Anonymousreply 7208/31/2011

Me a teen boy looking dreamy-eyed at Stevie Nicks, not knowing whether I wanted to fuck her or be her.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7308/31/2011

Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

by Anonymousreply 7408/31/2011

Indeed, R72. And one of the Yanks was named Buckingham and the other was very proud of her Welsh backgound.%0D %0D I bought Rumours in spite of the fact that my tastes ran towards prog and other "difficult" music. I'd tested my stoner friends patience with that, and then my early adoption of Patti Smith and Blondie. I did it as an act of teenage schoolyard diplomacy. It was either "Rumours", or Kiss.%0D %0D I did end up loving the record, it sounded perfect over the AM radio in the only ride I had access to, my least-best friend's yellow AMC Gremlin with three-on-the tree. Good times, if not great cars.

by Anonymousreply 7508/31/2011

Don't get me wrong, I really like Rumors, but it's not as great as I remembered.

by Anonymousreply 7608/31/2011

Well I'd like ta hear ya try and make a disc of yer own, lovey! Now toss off!

by Anonymousreply 7708/31/2011

Not the biggest FM fan, but r59 's post put such a big smile on my face. Reminded me why I love rock music so fucking much. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7808/31/2011

First memory that comes to mind is church camp, smoking dope and listening to Rumors...

by Anonymousreply 7908/31/2011

I like the energy and excitement of Sex Pistols, the Clash, and the Ramones.

I also like the pure songcraft and yearning emotionalism of Fleetwood Mac.

Both are good. There is room for both.

by Anonymousreply 8108/31/2011

The Clash influenced Tusk, or at least LB's songs.

by Anonymousreply 8208/31/2011

Camper Van Beethoven recreated Tusk, note for note

by Anonymousreply 8308/31/2011

R82, how on earth did you arrive at that?%0D %0D The Clash wrote politically charged punk, and were disciples of the Sex Pistols. Lindsey snorted coke and wrote very clever hooks on his guitar dedicated to Stevie.

by Anonymousreply 8408/31/2011

What was The Spinners song that inspired "Dreams"? Stevie said she based it on one of their hits.

by Anonymousreply 8508/31/2011

Probably "I'll Be Around".

by Anonymousreply 8608/31/2011

R84: It's detailed in Storms, the book Lindsey's ex wrote about FM. Lindsey wanted to go in different directions after Rumours, and was consciously thinking about The Clash when writing his material for Tusk.

by Anonymousreply 8708/31/2011

I was into Olivia Newton-John at the time, and thought that Fleetwood Mac were a bunch of junkies who sang some good songs.

by Anonymousreply 8808/31/2011

r9, real music still exists, it's just independent. You have to know where to look, because it's not going to find you on FM radio.

I'm a 30-year-old indie music snob. Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite bands of all time. "Rumours" is perfection.

Their 2003 album, "Say You Will," had some decent tracks on it, for any fans who didn't look into it.

by Anonymousreply 8908/31/2011

This album is brilliant and there is no music like this today.

by Anonymousreply 9009/01/2011

Rumours was just re released with tons of outakes and shows very different versions of songs. "The Chain" came from three different songs of each of them that was sewed together. I posted Stevie's demo of The Chain. Very different and you can see they just took the chorus from her part of it. Pretty cool to see who things evolved.

by Anonymousreply 9101/29/2013

[quote]You have to know where to look, because it's not going to find you on FM radio.

The quest may enliven you, but when we were your age, all we had to do was turn on the radio for good music.

by Anonymousreply 9201/30/2013

R88, you actually admit to that in public? (The ONJ part, that is.)

by Anonymousreply 9301/30/2013

I remember that summer driving around and Dreams and Thelma Houston's Don't Leave Me This Way were in constant rotation on the radio. Fast forward a few years and it was 7 am at The Saint and in the midst of the Morning Music set he dropped Dreams and it was one of those magical dance floor moments when everyone was connected with the memory of where they were when they first heard that song. I am 55 now and it is such an indelible moment in time. I may forget where I put my keys but I will never forget that.

by Anonymousreply 9401/30/2013

First time I heard "Dreams" I thought Stevie sounded like Bonnie Raitt...! I also like the predecessor simply titled "Fleetwood Mac" - has some great songs like "Blue Letter" which I wish I had a copy of.

by Anonymousreply 9501/30/2013

I knew all of them. I served them at a store I used to work at and have many intimate details and stories about all of them. You know, because we got really close.

by Anonymousreply 9601/30/2013

Ditto to all of those of you who were crushing on Lindsey Buckingham.

I can recall playing Rumors into the ground until I became distracted by Linda Ronstadt's Simple Dreams album, which is the album that finally ended Rumors' 31 week reign at the top of the charts.

by Anonymousreply 9701/30/2013

Was one of the very first ablums I bought with my own money, along with the Original Broadway Cast Recoding of Annie. Was driven to Korvette's with my older sister in her bff's red Camaro. I remember thinking how beautiful LB & SN were.

By the way R93, you are a tool.

by Anonymousreply 9801/30/2013

A direct ripoff of a Jimmie Spheeris album cover, R60.

by Anonymousreply 9901/30/2013

Lots of options for the expanded/deluxe editions of the 35th Anniversary version of RUMOURS.

by Anonymousreply 10001/30/2013

Best price for 3CD expanded version of the 35th Anniversary edition of RUMOURS on 1/30/13 @ amazon.

by Anonymousreply 10101/30/2013

That's an older re release. R101 There is a new one with a lot more stuff that was released a few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 10201/30/2013

Really, r102? Amazon lists the release date as January 29, 2013, and quite a few reviews were posted this month (see link).

I'll be very disappointed if this isn't a new release.

by Anonymousreply 10301/30/2013

My kid goes to Brentwood School. Same grade as Lindsey's kid.. a few same classes,same football team etc. Lidnesy kid is a self proclaimed "MUFF CABBAGE" say no more.. his profile is public... mostly photos of my daughter's photo from our driveway... dickhead asshole

by Anonymousreply 10401/30/2013

Wait r104 -- what?

by Anonymousreply 10501/30/2013

I own Rumors but never listen to it. Like The Eagles, they're one of,those 70s artists that you can hear enough on the radio to have to play on the stereo.

by Anonymousreply 10601/30/2013

Murray: When you're in a band, you don't get with your bandmate's girlfriend - past or present. Jemaine: Yes, well thanks for that. Murray: You get a love triangle - you know? Fleetwood Mac situation. Murray: Well there there was four of them, so more of a love square. But you know, no one gets on. Jemaine: Okay, I see. Murray: Mind you, they did make some of their best music back then. Bret: Rumours. Murray: No, that's all true.

by Anonymousreply 10701/31/2013

iTunes just released a Deluxe Expanded Edition. It's expensive, but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 10801/31/2013

Tusk was better. Seriously. Great songwriting by McVie, Buckingham, Nicks, and some great weird shit amongst the more traditional songs.

But, Rumors is great.

by Anonymousreply 10901/31/2013

I've been listening to Tango in the Night lately and it's an excellent companion to Rumours. Quite underrated.

by Anonymousreply 11001/31/2013

I like their next album "Tusk" too. It's a double album with lots of good songs like "Sara". What did people think of it when it came out?

by Anonymousreply 11101/31/2013

R108 When your computer dies, what happens to the music you bought on iTunes (or any digital download)? Do they let you download another copy?

by Anonymousreply 11201/31/2013

R111, with the exception of "Sara," I didn't much like Tusk when I first heard it in 1979. In fact, it wasn't until I bought a new turntable in 1997 that I really listened to it much at all. Now it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

by Anonymousreply 11301/31/2013

r111 -- people liked Tusk, but it was no Rumours.

Camper Van Beethoven loved Tusk and did a note by note matched rendition of it about ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 11401/31/2013

The new FX show, The Americans, used Tusk (the single) to great effect on it's premiere episode last night.

by Anonymousreply 11501/31/2013

[quote]The first US album to have 4 top ten hits according to Billboard

Maybe so but we had three NUMBER ONES in the same album before anybody did.

by Anonymousreply 11601/31/2013

We were proud that they used the USC Marching band for the title song.

by Anonymousreply 11701/31/2013

Poor kids today -- they have to go digging for their good music -- we only had to turn on the radio for a start. Any digging we did came with the help of myriad excellent music mags and writers.

by Anonymousreply 11801/31/2013

Christine Perfect McVie

by Anonymousreply 11902/01/2013

Stevie will be at Fantasy Springs Casino this weekend.

WooHoo

by Anonymousreply 12003/01/2013

Don't tell me that you love me.

by Anonymousreply 12103/01/2013

R112 Your purchased downloads stay in the iTunes cloud (or whatever it is) and you can re-download them on whatever computer is permitted for the account. I only found this out recently, I fucking hate iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 12204/14/2013

Why would anyone use iTunes? They completely bamboozled people by dint of being the first.

by Anonymousreply 12304/14/2013

Anyway back on topic there was a great documentary on Fleetwood Mac with an empasis on Rumours that I saw on BBC4 recently.

I do have to say I was shocked by Lindsey Buckingham. I won't say "he pinged" but he had a distinct gay vibe to him. Like one of those gay-seeming straight guys.

There's a couple of threads about him and the 2010 one mentions rumours about him being bisexual. He was hot for sure. In the programme "Big Love" was mentioned as being autobiographical; how he had become bitter and jaded with love and was avoiding it after all the problems it gave him but he finally found the real thing with his wife and kids later on.

I would love to see them but as legends they of course cost a fortune. But no Christine is a bit of dealbreaker. She was the star of Rumours for me.

by Anonymousreply 12404/14/2013

My mom bought it for me when I was 10. One of our elderly neighbors saw us at the mall after we got it and, upon seeing the back cover, said, "They look like demons!"

by Anonymousreply 12504/14/2013

On the videos of the Tusk documentary on youtube, a lot of the comments remark about how gay Lindsey seems.

I personally don't think that he is; I think he has genuinely been obsessed with Stevie for 40 years, but I can see why he pings for a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 12604/14/2013

Also, he and Stevie were still fucking while he was dating his now-wife and continued doing so even after she got pregnant and had their first kid. So I highly doubt that about her finally being the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 12704/14/2013

Lindsey is hot.

by Anonymousreply 12804/14/2013

What? Dish, r127.

by Anonymousreply 12904/14/2013

r129 It was pretty much common knowledge among hardcore FM fans at the time of the Dance tour, then they were seen by several people (as a couple) on her Enchanted tour the next year. At the time, people didn't know this other girl existed, much less was pregnant until the kid was born, so it didn't seem out of the ordinary or scandalous or anything. It just was. There was also a lot of talk at the time about someone in the Buckingham Nicks social circle (maybe Ken Caillat?) talking about how Lindsey was pissed that the ex/gf was pregnant.

Oh, and then Stevie ended up writing Fall From Grace (on Shangri La) and Thrown Down (on Say You Will), which she's revealed enough about for those who were paying attention back then to connect the dots.

On the documentary thing they did for the Say You Will record, there's even a part where he's saying to her (about Thrown Down) like, "Well who are you talking to [ in the song ]?" and she snaps at him, "I'm talking to YOU!" It was kind of funny.

by Anonymousreply 13004/14/2013

The first time I heard the whole album was at Misty and Melody's birthday slumber party-- they were twins from Texas and this was in San BErnardino, California. I was in 7th grade. Misty and Melody's parents let them drink, and they purchased for us kids a case of Boonesfarm Strawberry Hill, while they retired upstairs for the evening.

I was the only boy at the party. Andrea, a chubby blond from the condo complex hit on me while we were drinking and listening to Rumours. Next thing, the lights are out and Andrea and I are in the sleeping bag. She brought my hand down to her vagina. I was fingering about and quite drunk and felt just kind of obligated. Since I didn't know what I was doing in these parts my fingers apparently wound up in her anus. (I didn't find this out until the next day.) I woke up later and the twins told me she went upstairs and was angry. Later, she told me I had been rough and put my fingers up her butthole. She said that she asked me to stop but I didn't remember that.

So, that, for me, is "Rumours". The next morning was actually MY birthday and I had to ride out with my mom--very hungover and head-ached-- to Magic Mountain for my birthday treat.

by Anonymousreply 13104/15/2013

Ooh interesting, R127. Now that you mention it, although that was given as the official version of events in the documentary, a lot is focussed on the Buckingham/Nicks love affair and you see them talking about it. At the end they're shown singing together which I suppose implies it never really ended.

By the way, how good is the Buckingham/Nicks album? I'd read it was really good but presumably a lot is recycled for Fleetwood.

by Anonymousreply 13204/15/2013

Talking Heads - 77

Television – Marquee Moon

Richard Hell & The Voidoids – Blank Generation

Blondie – Plastic Letters

The Clash – The Clash

Iggy Pop – Lust For Life

Never Mind The Bollocks, Here’s The Sex Pistols‘

by Anonymousreply 13304/15/2013

r124/132 That sounds about right. Even back during the 97 tour, in public Stevie was saying "Over my dead body" that they'd get back together (he was like "Mayyyybe, we'll see"), AS they were already banging again. And Lindsey was pretty adamant during the SYW press that he was SO over her, and that his Say Goodbye song represented that, and now he's already doing his version of backtracking ("well we were really pissed at each other when I wrote that. Things are a lot better between us now..."). I used to wonder what the now-wife really thought her life was going to be like by venturing into the middle of this never-ending affair/soap opera.

Buckingham Nicks is pretty good! It's a jangly-folky little thing, very catchy. If you like the sound of FM songs like Monday Morning, Never Going Back Again, Landslide, Second Hand News, etc. then you'll like Buckingham Nicks. It's unmistakably the foundation of what the band became when Stevie and Lindsey joined. The little instrumental tune, Stephanie, is very pretty and sweet. I have a sneaking suspicion that the composer of the Winnie Cooper Theme on the Wonder Years television show ripped off Lindsey's Stephanie.

by Anonymousreply 13404/16/2013

High school in California, 1977. Everyone smoked pot at lunch, even the teachers, so afternoons were very mellow.

by Anonymousreply 13504/16/2013

I read Lidnsey's girlfriend's book and she claims he was abusive.I'll kick a woman's ass if she attacks me but if I saw Lindsey attack her or choke her,I'd kick his ass!!Also Mick Fleetwood had an affair with Stevie Nicks not Lindsey Buckingham.Bob Welch was stupid to leave that group.Rest his soul. FM are performing in my area on May 2.I'm debating if I can afford to go.

by Anonymousreply 13604/16/2013

It was one of my first records. It was seven dollars and I bought it at the store with my allowance. I listened to it nonstop for the next year. I was eight.

by Anonymousreply 13704/16/2013

The band is dropping an EP in a few days. Heard one of the new songs (Sad Angel) and it's really good.

by Anonymousreply 13804/16/2013

Did any of you read that Rolling Stone Q&A that Lindsey and Stevie did a few months ago? It's like watching your parents fight and put you in the middle. It's quite something! Especially the Lindsey portion of the interview. He really felt like venting to a therapist the day it was conducted, I guess.

Here's a link.

by Anonymousreply 13904/16/2013

[quote]This album is brilliant and there is no music like this today.

Pretty much true, but the girl group Haim have been getting a lot of Fleetwood comparisons. And rightfully so, they're Rumours calibre even.

by Anonymousreply 14004/24/2013

love this early demo of Dreams.

by Anonymousreply 14112/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.