Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Agghhh...I am getting sued by my former college over student loans.

They sent me something from the superior court. I owe them 3,500 dollars. I hate to sound like a whiny bitch, but what do I have to do?? It doesn't say I have to appear in court. I don;t have 3,500 dollars--I can make a monthly payment. Will they accept that?%0D %0D I feel all we do as Americans is work and pay bills. Do we ever get ahead??

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 6210/03/2013

Bitch, you betta pay!

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 105/04/2011

Pay your damn bills, OP! Do without till you get it paid off. Deadbeat trash!

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 205/04/2011

[quote]I feel all we do as Americans is work and pay bills. Do we ever get ahead??%0D %0D Some might say we get ahead when we ignore the repayment of loans provided for by other Americans.%0D %0D Others may say we get ahead when we get loans to attend college while others do not.%0D %0D But really, check Bankrate.com which is a good starting point for financial questions and has large sections devoted to student loans and all the issues associated with them. And good luck (but maybe drop the disingenuous approach of saying it's the problem of a nation when, right now at least, the is a little more narrowly focused for you.)%0D %0D Poke around at Bankrate; there's lots of stuff beyond the link below -- and your problem is not unique, so there's lost of basic advice online.%0D %0D

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 305/04/2011

You have enough money to pay for a membership to the datalounge, yet you haven't been paying on your student loans? FAILED

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 405/04/2011

You can't get out of student loan payments, ever. You're fucked.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 605/04/2011

Call an attorney.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 705/04/2011

If you have the money to make payments, why didn't you arrange that BEFORE you were sued? Just curious...

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 805/04/2011

$3500? You piker.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 1305/04/2011

Uh huh, $18 dollars that could have gone toward the repayment of a $3,500 student loan.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 1405/04/2011

Yes, of course they garnish wages to collect on student loans. They can garnish your Social Security Disability or Retirement, too, at 15%. %0D %0D And if you are really being sued, OP, you undoubtedly have to go to court. Better read that document again carefully. You're either not actually being sued, or you have a court date in the future.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 1505/04/2011

I hope you will move to Venezuala r16. Because if you stay here, you are going to be up shit creek.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 1905/04/2011

[quote]I don;t have 3,500 dollars--I can make a monthly payment. Will they accept that?

They might, if you can get them to agree to it and get them to believe you will follow through. They have to pay a lawyer to pursue it to a judgment and garnishment of your wages.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 2005/04/2011

If you can make monthly payments, then why weren't you making monthly payments?

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 2105/05/2011

OP

What kind of loans are they?

Federal or private?

I am thinking they might be private. If they are you just have to cop to things and work out a payment plan quick. You might actually be able to make a proper proposal of things for the lawyers who are behind stuff and present it to them and have that be it.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 2205/05/2011

pay your fucking LOAN back, you fucking deadbeat. come join us in the human race, where people honor their commitments, you fuckwad. $3500 FUCKING DOLLARS? ugh, i hate you.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 2305/05/2011

[quote] Better read that document again carefully. You're either not actually being sued, or you have a court date in the future.

Or they've already taken you to court and your notice from said court is the notifying you of the judgement they have obtained against you.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 2505/05/2011

r11, You do realize everyone's money goes into the pot, right? Not just Democrats? Whatever we agree or disagree on.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 2705/05/2011

The worst that can happen if you do nothing is the college will win a court judgment against you and garnish your wages until the debt is paid.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 3105/05/2011

Parasite!

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 3205/06/2011

r29: You must speak with them. Ask for a forbearance or a deferment. Look on your lender's website for information and forms. Speak with the lender ASAP. The problem will only get worse.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 3305/06/2011

Did you agree to pay the loan back when you took the money, OP? Of course you did. So man up.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 3505/06/2011

$3500, and you can't pay it?%0D %0D Where'd you go, Wal-Mart U?

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 3605/06/2011

[quote] OP, if you cannot get the case dismissed, you should request a jury trial.

$3500 is a small claims case. No jury trials available.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 3805/15/2011

Anything under 10K can easily be paid back by getting a second job.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 4111/23/2012

[quote]I feel all we do as Americans is work and pay bills. Do we ever get ahead??

oh yes...and its fabulous!!!

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 4211/23/2012

r10 not only are you missing a sense of humor, you're missing the point.

OP's debt most likely did not all come up in the last few months, which means, despite being in debt and heading toward default, he said "oh it's just $18" I could still read and chat on DL but I just have to start threads and bitch during prime time...

Do you not see the bigger problem?

OP probably reasons like this in all aspects of life, throwing away $18 here and there and more because he has no sense of proportionality and lives beyond his means.

I lived in a studio, didn't have cable, etc. until my debt was paid off. And I still save money so I have it to splurge when I want.

Be smart. Live within your means.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 4311/23/2012

Let's offer an example.

Assume you buy lunch out at work for $10 but could have made your lunch for about $3. Make your lunch five days a week, you save $35. Do this 100 weeks (2 years) - there's OP's debt. In 2 years,

You don't have to scrimp and save across the board, and never go out to lunch but avoiding takeout, getting two new sweaters instead of three .... it adds up.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 4411/23/2012

that should have read, "In 2 years, if OP went out to lunch every day, he spent $3500 that could have been channeled to debt."

It's just an example that could be put in practice more randomly if the impulse was "do I need this" ...

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 4511/23/2012

I read that as $35,000 and had some sympathy. But $3500? Who doesn't have $3500? All this drama for a few measly bucks? Just pay it, you dead beat.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 4711/23/2012

Why wouldn't one ask these questions to those they owe?

You want to borrow, you agree to pay what you borrow plus interest. What more is there to understand?

I guess common sense was not taught at that college?

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 4910/02/2013

You don't have a measly $3500? Really? Poor much? Ew!

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5010/02/2013

Good advice r43. Even better than living at your means is living below your means. Amazing the stuff you just do not need! And the $$$ you end up saving!

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5110/02/2013

Let's see, $3,500 divided by 104, the number of weeks in 2 years, is about $34 a week. Get a part-time job and pay it back. The 2 years will fly by. I know, I've been there.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5210/02/2013

[quote]Don't they garnish wages for student loans?

Yes. Yes they do. My garnishment situation is what finally made me quit smoking, since I had to reduce expenses ASAP. Took a couple of years of sacrifice, then it was over. Now 10 years later my credit is crystal clear.

[quote]I heard it goes away after 10 years

No. No it doesn't.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5310/02/2013

Also: if you continue to receive collection calls after your loans are repaid, it's a scam. Don't talk to collectors for something you don't owe, ever.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5410/02/2013

[quote]I feel all we do as Americans is work and pay bills. Do we ever get ahead??

Yeah, and accept loans which we have no fucking intention of repaying.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5510/02/2013

When I was in Law School we used to have to hang out at the court to help people in debt situations who were being sued. So I'll give it a whirl. Assuming that what they sent you wasn't a judgement but a notice that you are being sued.

First of all you must go to court. If you don't make the appearance you are screwed. A lot of people think that if you don't show up they can't proceed and it will be ignored or put off for another time. Wrong. A judgement is automatically entered against you when you don't show up.

Here's how that automatic judgement works against you. The school will hand the court decision over to a Marshall. The Marshall will handle the garnishment of your wages. You will normally be required to pay ten percent of each paycheck. It normally doesn't go above that. You will be given a chance to make the payments yourself. If you miss them they are allowed to contact your employer and have your wages garnished.

But here's how you are royally fucked with a Marshall. They are allowed to add poundage. That is their fees for processing all this. It will add about $1000.00 onto your debt.

Now, you may not believe it, but getting sued to get out of this debt is the best thing that will happen to you. Because of the amount you will be sued in small claims court. Before trial an attorney for who is suing you will almost always speak to you first and say something like: "If you agree we will agree to a settlement judgement against you of $2000.00(or even lower it almost always goes to about 50% of your debt)pay us $50.00 a month until it is paid." If you agree the judge will make it so.

If, in the unlikely chance, the lawyer doesn't contact you at court first, then you will first meet with a mediator before you see the judge. You will pretty much be offered the same deal. If not, when you are in front of the mediator and the judge, tell them you want to "move for discovery". This will delay the action for a while and they will more likely than not be moved to offer said settlement.

This session of small claims court is nothing but debt cases. The judge will move through about 50 cases in an hour. It's pretty straight forward. I don't think I ever saw someone not offered a settlement.

If you want to delay this process to get your act together or deal with them outside of court go to the clerk's office and tell them you need time to file a response. It is always granted. Or at least ™.99 percent of the time. This alone can delay the action for almost a year if you keep doing it. Just think of an excuse each time.

If this occurred before you were served from the court there would be much more you could do. In fact I could give tips on how to just get out of almost all your debt if you don't wait. However, people always like to just sit around and do nothing. It astounds me. Especially in the age of Google.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5610/02/2013

Let's see. You borrowed money to get an education so you could have a better career/life. You then decided not to pay back this loan.

Democrat, right?

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5710/02/2013

I don't understand. Why don't you people just get a full scholarship with a stipend, like I did?

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5810/02/2013

What's a loan?

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 5910/02/2013

Unfortunately, in the U.S. you can't bankrupt on student loans. They hunt you til you die, and if they get a judgment it will be withdrawn right from your wages.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 6010/03/2013

This was over two years ago.

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 6110/03/2013

$3,500 doesn't seem like much at all, OP. Would you like me to send you a check in that amount?

by Please save the judgemental posts for someo...oh, who am I kidding. It''s DL.reply 6210/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.