Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay athletes

All the stories about athletes and coaches making homophobic slurs really makes me feel sorry for professional athletes who are gay. Must be a real tough environment for them - all those macho guys who think attacking gays makes them seem more manly. No wonder why hardly any professional athletes come out.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2013

I feel the most sorry for the gay NBA players. From what I've heard from a friend who used to be a sports writer, the NBA players are the THE most homophobic sports group. It's really terrible - no wonder Kobe made that remark.%0D %0D And no wonder so many gay black men feel the need to be on the way-down low.

by Anonymousreply 104/28/2011

I doubt they care, OP.

by Anonymousreply 204/28/2011

Professional athletes that is...$$$

by Anonymousreply 304/28/2011

No matter how much $$$$$ you're taking in, it's still got to be difficult to endure the slurs and homophobic rants hurled by teammates.

by Anonymousreply 404/28/2011

Like when David Pellietier, Kurt Browning and Patrick Chan started attacking Johnny Weir at the 2010 Olympics and then Jamie Sale mocked him as prissy in a TV interview a week later, Echoed by the by the Quebec radio station that told him to get gender tested as Johnny Weir sat in the warm up area.

That has got to be the worse case of it I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 504/28/2011

Looks like we have a gay NFL player involved in a domestic dispute. He beat up his bf.

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2011

The most anti-gay sport is hockey, a lot of white Republican males.

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2011

R6, that's interesting. I worked in sports in TX when he was in college and never heard a bit of a rumor, but maybe he was just really closeted.

by Anonymousreply 807/25/2011

The most anti-gay sport is Figure Skating.

Wholly crap....read your news people!!!!

Skate Canada actually started a campaign to flush gay athletes out of the sport. They started a TV show (Battle of the Blades) where they hold skating competitions where only the male figure skaters, are replaced by hockey players.

Can you imagine a sports organization holding basketball games where the black players were replace by white players, because they think it will boost interest in basketball???? .....well it is happening in figure skating right now - today!

by Anonymousreply 907/25/2011

any new rumors?

by Anonymousreply 1010/05/2013

lol

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2013

If you can't be a gay athlete, be a gay athletic supporter.

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

No one cares about gay MATHletes?

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2013

R13, it's MATHSletes.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2013

Let's be honest. Society yawns when a swimmer, gymnast, or female basketball player identifies as gay because this fits into preexisting stereotypes. They also yawn when tennis players come out because well, gay male tennis players don't really break stereotypes either. People pay attention when a big teamsport male athlete comes out, such as hockey, football, or basketball because these are considered the manly, aggressive sports. A gay baseball player is also newsworthy, but not as much as a gay football or basketball player. It's about breaking old stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

[quote] They also yawn when tennis players come out because well, gay male tennis players don't really break stereotypes either.

The following is a list of all men's tennis players who have come out in the last 40 years:

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.