Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Favorite obscure movies ... list them here

I'll start us off:%0D %0D My most favorite obscure film is one called "Choose Me", made in the early 1980s by Alan Rudolph, a protege of Robert Altman. It starred Keith Carradine, Genvieve Bujold, and Lesley Anne Warren, who all looked gorgeous. It's a beautifully-shot, well-written quirky movie about love, romance and identity, among other things.

by Anonymousreply 31612/08/2012

The 1970s were full of movies like this. I like CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER, with Mary Beth Hurt, John Heard and Peter Riegert. And Paul Mazursky's WILLIE AND PHIL, with Margot Kidder, Ray Sharkey and DL fave Michael Ontkean. %0D %0D My old apartment was close to an art house that had midnight movies on Fridays and Saturdays. Good times. PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK is another one, with Kitty Wynn and Pacino at his most gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 104/27/2011

Burnt By The Sun.%0D %0D It's Russian, with subtitles. Go rent it - you will not be sorry.

by Anonymousreply 204/27/2011

Passed Away Peter's Friends Fearless

by Anonymousreply 304/27/2011

THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD (1996), starring Vincent D'Onofrio, Ren%C3%A9e Zellweger and Ann Wedgeworth

"In Texas in the 1930s, young schoolteacher Novalyne Price meets a handsome, eccentric, interesting young man named Robert Howard. He's a successful writer - of the pulp stories of 'Conan the Barbarian'; she's an aspiring one. A friendship develops into a sort of courtship. Based on a memoir by Novalyne Price"

by Anonymousreply 604/27/2011

So far, I've only heard of a couple of movies listed. Looking forward to seeing these, they all sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 704/27/2011

Basileus Quartet, not available on dvd as far as I know. An aging string quartet, whose founder has just died, replaces him with a gorgeous brilliant young violinist whose furious appetite for worldly pleasures makes them all doubt their ascetic lives lived for music.

Lags somewhat in the last half.

by Anonymousreply 804/27/2011

"The Attic" - an obscure low-budget "horror" film from '79 or '80 (sources vary.) There are horror elements but it's really more a psychological character study. Carrie Snodgress and Ray Milland star and both give excellent performances.

by Anonymousreply 904/27/2011

Lady Caroline Lamb

by Anonymousreply 1004/27/2011

Jesus of Montreal - 1986 or so. Denys Arcand's French Canadian updating of the passion story

by Anonymousreply 1104/27/2011

down by law

by Anonymousreply 1204/27/2011

A World Apart

High Tide

by Anonymousreply 1304/27/2011

"Operation Petticoat" was popular when it came out but is nearly forgotten. What's interesting is that a lot of the story is based on fact. At the beginning of WWII we really did have a pink submarine. The letter from the supply office in San Francisco where the S.O. asked for a sample of what they wanted (toilet paper) is actually in Navy files, along with the reply from the Commanding Officer.

by Anonymousreply 1404/27/2011

Twin Falls Idaho and Secretary. I've seen a lot of obscure movies but these are the only two that always come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 1504/27/2011

Speaking of Alan Rudolph--another fave obscure film of mine is "The Moderns." It even had a soundtrack album. IIRC, it starred John Lone, Joan Chen, and a lot of the same cast of Choose Me. Also, Linda Fiorentino.

by Anonymousreply 1604/27/2011

My favorite is a schlocky rip-off of Diabolique called GAMES, starring James Caan, Katherine Ross, and SIMONE SIGNORET! Yes! Hard to believe she stooped to this, but she's great in it. And there are some genuinely creepy scenes. Shows up once in a while on cable.

by Anonymousreply 1704/27/2011

The best movie I've seen that almost no one has heard of is One False Move starring Bill Paxton. It's a taut, tense manhunt that goes to unexpected places yet has a highly satisfying end.%0D %0D Recommended!

by Anonymousreply 1904/27/2011

Lady in a Cage with Olivia De Havilland as a woman stuck in an elevator in her home as it is robbed in a blackout.

by Anonymousreply 2004/27/2011

Mr Wrong -- Ellen Degeneres

by Anonymousreply 2104/27/2011

Cutter's Way - John Heard and Jeff Bridges. This was a cult favorite when I was in college in the 80s. Heard is a Vietnam vet and Bridges has dropped out of the working world. They stumble on a crime committed by a wealthy man and try to prove it.

by Anonymousreply 2204/27/2011

Montenegro with Dusan Makavejev and Susan Anspach

by Anonymousreply 2304/27/2011

I know One False Move! One of my favorites. How could I forget that movie???

by Anonymousreply 2404/27/2011

The End of Evangelion.

by Anonymousreply 2504/27/2011

I love Choose Me!%0D %0D Also:%0D Nobody's Fool (1986) and Afterhours (1985). Both with Rosanna Arquette.

by Anonymousreply 2604/28/2011

[quote]My favorite is a schlocky rip-off of Diabolique called GAMES, starring James Caan, Katherine Ross, and SIMONE SIGNORET! Yes! Hard to believe she stooped to this, but she's great in it. And there are some genuinely creepy scenes. Shows up once in a while on cable%0D %0D I remember that movie when I was a teenager, I had a crush on the actor who tried to seduce Katherine Ross...he was the one that gets shot at the end.

by Anonymousreply 2704/28/2011

Great thread, thanks OP

I'll probably get good suggestions; a lot of cinema fans on here.

The one I remember immediately is called The Reflecting Skin.

It's a bizarre story of a small, heartland town that's an archetype, not really a real place. The light in it is gorgeous.

I also liked the original Wicker Man with Edward Woodward. That's more of a known cult hit, I think, but maybe not with anyone under 35.

by Anonymousreply 2804/28/2011

The best of royal marriage movies, in my opinion, is The Swan with Sir Alec Guinness, the lovely Grace Kelly, and gorgeous Louis Jourdan.

[quote] Princess Beatrice's days of enjoying the regal life are numbered unless her only daughter, Princess Alexandra, makes a good impression on a distant cousin when he pays a surprise visit to their palace. Prince Albert has searched all over Europe for a bride and he's bored by the whole courtship routine.

by Anonymousreply 2904/28/2011

The Color of Her Skin%0D %0D The Invasion of the Bee Girls

by Anonymousreply 3004/28/2011

"The Pope of Greenwich Village"

by Anonymousreply 3104/28/2011

Oh yes R31.

How could I have forgotten that? Rourke was smoking in that one.

by Anonymousreply 3204/28/2011

I absolutely adore a sweet, funny Japanese film called "Kikujiru".

by Anonymousreply 3304/28/2011

1993 film "King of the Hill"

written and directed by Steven Soderbergh

based on the memoirs of A.E. Hotchner

with a great cast, starring Jesse Bradford with Adrien Brody, Elizabeth McGovern, Karen Allen, Spauling Grey, Jeroen Krabbe, Lisa Eichhorn, Katherine Heigl...

In depression-era St. Louis, two young brothers are left to fend for themselves after their father gets a job as a traveling salesman and their mother lands in a sanatorium with tuberculosis.

DOA at the boxoffice due to studio politics, still on on DVD in the US, even though it was well reviewed and nominated for the Palm d'Or at Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 3404/28/2011

[italic]Bang Bang You're Dead[/italic]

It begins with the main character's quote "welcome to the nightmare." From there we experience high school from the perspective of a student who threatened to bomb his school the previous year out of frustration over the way he was treated. It's only 80 mins long, but one of the most honest portrayals of that side of school life I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 3504/28/2011

I love the very slow, beautiful Japanese film "Maborosi."

by Anonymousreply 3604/28/2011

Eden Lake.%0D %0D Really great, trashy modern thriller.

by Anonymousreply 3704/28/2011

Entre Nous%0D %0D Strange Days%0D %0D Let Him Have It%0D %0D Desert Hearts

by Anonymousreply 3804/28/2011

Voices with Michael Ontkean and Amy Irving.%0D %0D He was an aspiring musican with big dreams and a dysfucntional family; she was a deaf teacher with an uber-bitchy mother played by Viveca Lindfors (sp?) who wanted her to marry Scott, a fellow deaf person.%0D %0D I'll never forget Amy saying in deaf voice to her mother: "ALL SCOTT AND I HAVE IN COMMON IS THAT WE ARE DEAF!" %0D %0D My heart broke.%0D %0D But Michael's character really loved her.%0D %0D Great ending.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3904/28/2011

An Angel at My Table

by Anonymousreply 4004/28/2011

Rock and Roll High School. PJ Soles, the Ramones, Vince Van Patten. A Roger Corman production c. 1979. Classic tale of anti-authoritarian teens getting high, getting laid, and loving rock music. And exploding mice!

by Anonymousreply 4104/28/2011

"Paper House"%0D %0D The story of a young british girl whose drawings come to life ... and the line between reality and fantasy beings to blur as she spends more and more time in the fantasy world.%0D %0D It's an utterly perfect movie. With an utterly perfect ending.%0D %0D Unavailable in the US on DVD, and was only in small art-house theaters for very brief times.%0D %0D The movie is so good it deserves so much more exposure than it's ever had.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4204/28/2011

The Public Eye with Mia Farrow and Topol

Phantom Lady

Stranger on the Third Floor (Peter Lorre)

Picnic at Hanging Rock

by Anonymousreply 4304/28/2011

The Peanutbutter Solution. WHY hasn't it ever been released on dvd or blu-ray?!

by Anonymousreply 4404/28/2011

Brian de Palma's OBSESSION with Cliff Robertson and Genevi%C3%A8ve Bujold. %0D %0D Maybe it's not exactly obscure, but I rarely hear anyone talking about it, except for it getting trashed as a Vertigo knock off. I don't care about that, it haunts me and the lush, sublime soundtrack may be Bernard Hermann's best.

by Anonymousreply 4504/28/2011

wow, R45, i agree about OBSESSION! is a lot of fun. John Lithgow is righteously evil. It IS a Vertigo copy ...but still enjoyably creepy & suspenseful. Sadly, I don't think it ever made it to DVD - or at least it is not still available. UPDATE...I see this is now available via amazon on demand - who knows, maybe netfix too? Oh, and looks like it is coming out on blu-ray very soon...%0D %0D Also...several boys have mentioned ONE FALSE MOVE...yes, a very entertaining movie for those who enjoy dark crime dramas. It is sort of like a much darker FARGO. Definitely recommended.

by Anonymousreply 4604/28/2011

Crimes of Passion--very trashy, but I remember being taken by it Kathleen Turner, Anthony Perkins

by Anonymousreply 4704/28/2011

R4 "Rain" is my favourite too. We really do need to see more of Marton Csokas.

by Anonymousreply 4804/28/2011

Stranger than Paradise

by Anonymousreply 4904/28/2011

THE LAST SUPPER, one of the best black comedies ever. A group of progressive roommates have an unexpected conservative dinner guest who horrifies them with his opinions. Death and hilarity ensue (much like Datalounge, actually).

by Anonymousreply 5004/28/2011

"Play it as it Lays" - early '70s Los Angeles, Tuesday Weld, what's not to like

by Anonymousreply 5204/28/2011

"American Hot Wax" about Alan Freed and the Payola scandal, starring Tim MacIntire, who was an incredible actor. Died when he was 40 from drug-related heart problems.

"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" about Beatles fans, starring Nancy Allen.

"Madadayo," the last film Akira Kurosawa directed, about an elderly professor who retires in 1943. It's sentimental and odd, and many felt it was maudlin at the time. I think now it's seen as a classic, but I haven't seen it anywhere since TCM showed it about a decade ago. I think an out of print DVD exists.

by Anonymousreply 5304/28/2011

Sooo agree about Entre Nous.%0D %0D Willie & Phil was very disappointing when you I re-saw it on an old VHS.%0D %0D I like films of 60s London.%0D %0D Joanna has just been re-released on DVD and though sometimes silly is really worth watching for how much it captures the period. Same with Pleasure Girls. Also Pumpkin Eater starring Anne Bancroft. Is Petulia starring Julie Christie obscure? It's a wonderful film.%0D %0D Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush, although it's a teenage film, is great. Smashing Time's a hoot. Zee & Co. A Touch Of Love.%0D %0D Joanna starred Geveieve Waite who married the Mamas & Papas guy. Bet she has some stories to tell.

by Anonymousreply 5404/28/2011

Yes I love those London films too -recently saw The Pleasure Girls now on dvd (interesting gay character too, just an ordinary gay guy), Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, Smashing Time -Lynn Redgrave is hilarious in that.%0D %0D Lady In A Cage - Olivia is the lady and the young James Caan is smoking hot in those sprayed on jeans, Ann Sothern is in it too. %0D %0D Whats New Pussycat is a scream too, great cast.

by Anonymousreply 5504/28/2011

One Potato, Two Potato

by Anonymousreply 5604/28/2011

The Game is Over, a French film with Jane Fonda and Peter McEnery. Directed by Roger Vadim. Fonda's sex kitten phase.%0D %0D Choose Me! Agree with OP.%0D %0D Diary of a Mad Housewife with Carrie Snodgress and Richard Benjamin.%0D %0D Isadora aka The Loves of Isadora starring Vanessa Redgrave as Isadora Duncan.%0D %0D The L Shaped Room with Leslie Caron and Tom Bell.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5704/28/2011

"You're a Big Boy Now" with Elizabeth Hartman.%0D Lovin' Spoonful did the music including "Darlin' Be Home Soon."%0D %0D %0D Otto Preminger's Hurry Sundown. Jane Fonda, Michael Caine, John Philip Law, Diahann Carroll, Burgess Meredith and Miss Faye Dunaway.%0D %0D Last Summer, the unedited version on the old VHS tape, not the edited print that was recently on Turner Classic Movies. Barbara Hershey, Richard Thomas and Bruce Davison and his glorious naked ass in the last scene.

by Anonymousreply 5804/28/2011

"A Private Function" with Maggie Smith and Michael Palin. One of the funniest movies ever.

by Anonymousreply 5904/28/2011

Sweetie - An Australian film from 1989. Described as, 'a ghastly parody of the tyranny of family life'.

A Taste Of Honey - A film from 1958. Wikipedia says, "...puts into question, class, race, gender and sexual orientation in the mid-twentieth century Britain". Morrissey of the Smiths greatly admired the play.

Fish Tank- Another British film from 2009. Fine acting, especially of new-comer, Katie Jarvis, playing a volatile 15-year-old.

J'ai Tue Ma Mere - French film from 2009. The main actor is also the writer and the director. Amazing debut.

by Anonymousreply 6004/28/2011

Good Night, and Good Luck. 2005 Black and White film, it has quite an all star cast and yet isn't all that well known.

Snow Cake. Is just... I don't know how to explain it; brutally beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 6104/28/2011

Careful, He Might Here You. Great Australian movie from the 80s with a classic performance by Wendy Hughes as a very fucked-up wealthy woman trying to do the right thing and making everyone else's life miserable in the process.

I've Heard the Mermaids Singing.

by Anonymousreply 6204/28/2011

A film about Proust's maid.

Is it just me, but few of the films listed here seem really that obscure....

by Anonymousreply 6304/28/2011

[quote]THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD (1996), starring Vincent D'Onofrio, Rene Zellweger and Ann Wedgeworth%0D %0D I liked this movie too, R6. It's the only time I could stand to watch squinty Zellweger.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6404/28/2011

Love some of the suggestions on this thread!

Rumble Fish. Moody, beautiful black and white teen story with Matt Dillon and Diane Lane. Mickey Rourke too, quietly smoldering.

Just Tell Me What You Want. Did you know Ali McGraw could actually act? She has great chemistry with Alan King of all people in this bitter comedy set in a haggard, beautiful late-70s New York.

Blow Out. John Travolta playing an actual relatable adult in a fun, trashy low-budget thriller.

Darling. Julie Christie is sooooo beautiful, charming and relaxed in this 60's comedy of manners. Boy, could she could hold the screen...

by Anonymousreply 6504/28/2011

Just Tell Me What You Want

Great choice R65. McGraw is shockingly good, the performance of her career.

by Anonymousreply 6604/28/2011

NO SURRENDER (1985) URL below.

Just a beautiful movie that made little impact on America.

Next to GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK obscure? If you say so.

Oh, and SIdney Lumet's THE HILL. A brutal and fascinating movie.

by Anonymousreply 6704/28/2011

'AKA' (2002) by Duncan Roy, an odd and imperfect gay film, but interesting and rather good.%0D %0D [quote]%0D %0D %0D ad feedback%0D %0D AKA is the story of a disaffected youth's search for love, status, and identity in late 1970s Britain. 18-year old Dean is handsome and bright, but feels hampered by his working-class background and by his family. In order to make something of himself, Dean assumes another identity and manages to enter high society. As he navigates this decadent new world, he meets a host of characters, including David, an older gay man who desires him, and Benjamin, a young hustler from Texas who has also managed to find a place among the aristocracy. Can Dean find love while living a lie? How much is he willing to sacrifice in order to pull off his charade? Presented through three simultaneous frames rather than one.%0D

by Anonymousreply 6804/28/2011

I wouldn't say "Darling" was obscure. At least, here in the U.S. it's one of the better known classic British films.

"Close My Eyes" is a fascinating film about an adult brother and sister who have an affair. Alan Rickman is totally miscast in it as the sister's nerdy husband but it's still one of his best film roles.

It's not really a film but the Dennis Potter TV miniseries "Lipstick On Your Collar" is amazing and features a very young and delectable Ewan Macgregor.

by Anonymousreply 6904/28/2011

The great film JACKNIFE starring Robert DeNiro and Kathy Baker is worth seeing at least once. I was thrilled when De Niro reminded people of this film when he was awarded that Golden Globe Achievement Award.%0D %0D In addition to the glorious and previously mentioned A PRIVATE FUNCTION, Maggie Smith is superb in THE LONELY PASSION OF JUDITH HEARNE also starring Bob Hoskins.%0D %0D I also loved IN COUNTRY starring Bruce Willis, in a fine film directed by Norman Jewison.%0D %0D And for under-rated musicals, you must see the all dance film INVITATION TO THE DANCE , recently released on MOD DVD via the Warner Archive.

by Anonymousreply 7004/28/2011

House of Games%0D %0D Bound%0D %0D Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

by Anonymousreply 7104/28/2011

I LOVE Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, I don't think it's that obscure though...

by Anonymousreply 7204/28/2011

I love Cutter's Way, R 22.

My contributions:

Manny & Lo -a fantastically offbeat dark comedy about two teenage sisters who run away from foster homes when one gets pregnant. They kidnap a nurse to help with the delivery and hole up in an abandoned cottage. Starring Mary Kay Place as the nurse and a very young ScarJo as the non-pregnant sister.

Marianne and Juliane - written and directed by Margarethe Von Trotta (Volker Schlondorff's ex-wife.) The story of two German sisters during the late sixties political upheavals. One (Marianne - played by the amazing Barbara Sukowa) becomes an editor of a feminist paper and the other a member of the revolutionary Bader Meinhof gang. It's basically a mystery, with the journalist unraveling what led to her sister's arrest, and what happened after her imprisonment. It's a haunting example of New German cinema.

by Anonymousreply 7304/28/2011

I LOVE House of Games.

by Anonymousreply 7404/28/2011

So glad to see some love for "Obsession" here.

"The Tenant" with (yuck) Roman Polanski is a weird, creepy movie. He's a sleaze but his movies are fantastic.

"Pandora and the Flying Dutchman" with Ava Gardner/James Mason. An odd love story beautifully filmed in Spain.

"Honogurai mizu no soko kara" (Dark Water) an eerie ghost story.

Another vote for "Blow Out".

by Anonymousreply 7504/28/2011

Would "Babette's Feast" count as obscure? It was pretty well-known in its day but no one mentions it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7604/28/2011

I love an obscure MGM fantasy called ON BORROWED TIME with Lionel Barrymore. A little kid tricks "Death" into getting stuck in a tree and no one on earth can die until he lets him down. It's a very sentimental, sometimes maudlin film, but I love it.

by Anonymousreply 7704/28/2011

BLOW OUT is obscure?

by Anonymousreply 7804/28/2011

I just remembered another movie that made a huge impression on me. My mum let us watch it because it is about a set of boy/girl twins (I have a twin sis). Boy, did she regret not researching it more. Do you remember "The House of Yes" with Parker Posey and Josh Hamilton?

by Anonymousreply 7904/28/2011

Legend of 1900

by Anonymousreply 8004/28/2011

The Straight Story- one of David Lynch's more forgotten & overlooked films. One of my all-time favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 8104/28/2011

"Route 9" with Kyle MacLachlan and Peter Coyote.

It's like "A Simple Plan" only this is about two cops who steal 1.5 million from a crime scene and try to cover their tracks.

by Anonymousreply 8204/28/2011

Pouvoir Intime - bank heist goes incredibly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 8304/28/2011

My Bodyguard

by Anonymousreply 8404/28/2011

"Chuck and Buck"

by Anonymousreply 8504/28/2011

Spun. It's fairly well known in the subculture it portrays but not in the mainstream. The camera work on it is amazing, and it is the first film that I really liked Zachary Quinto in.

by Anonymousreply 8604/28/2011

Great thread! I'll add:%0D %0D Taking Off (1971) Milos Forman comedy in the vein of Altman & Ashby. Very much 'of its time.'%0D %0D Wicked Wicked (1973) Split screen gold - one side the protagonist's perspective, one side the killer's perspective.%0D %0D Demon of the Derby (2001) Documentary about the incomparable roller derby queen Anne Calvello. The movie itself isn't that special, per se, but man, what a character! So glad I saw that! (& I met Anne in all her leopard print glory!)%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8704/28/2011

I love this thread! Thanks OP!

I'll add "Me Without You," about two lifelong friends and their love/hate relationship. It also has a very sweet love story and features a young Michelle Williams.

"Das Experiment," a messed up German movie (surprise!) about prisoners and wardens.

There are many more I could add but I'm outta time. Will check back on this thread, so keep the titles coming!

PS -- LOVED Chuck & Buck! "Chuck and Buck, suck and fuck!" So twisted!

by Anonymousreply 8804/28/2011

Damn you, R42. I was gonna mention Paperhouse. Really a great movie. Don't know why its not out on DVD but you can watch the whole thing on YouTube. Link is to the trailer.%0D %0D %0D %0D My pick is "The Dead", the last film by John Huston. Based upon James Joyce's short story and starring Angelica Huston. A little slow, but has amazing actors. The final scene is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 8904/28/2011

This thread made me think of an obscure film -- not a favorite, just obscure -- called The Wrong Box. I read the book in grade school and thought it hilarious. The movie used to come on television late at night sometimes. It had a cast of wonderful actors -- Michael Caine, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Ralph Richardson, Peter Sellars. But it wasn't very funny. It was too knowingly arch. It wasted a funny story and a great cast, but I still watched it for the actors, especially for Peter Sellars' cameo with a kitten.

I believe it's on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 9004/28/2011

by Anonymousreply 9104/28/2011

This is an excellent topic. Please keep 'em coming. Would the recent "Black Death" be considered obscure? Fascinating take on what may make/create the psychology of a twisted witchfinder general, though in less realist terms than Michael Reeves' film with Vincent Price.

by Anonymousreply 9204/28/2011

"Dos Chicas De Revista" (Spain)%0D %0D with Lina Morgan (comedienne who could dance a little)%0D %0D Filmed in 18 days in 1972, and it shows.%0D %0D Tag line could be: %0D %0D Before there was 'Showgirls', there were 'Dos Chicas.'

by Anonymousreply 9304/28/2011

...and happy ending...with lesbian undertones (the pretty showgirl leaves the man who beats her and returns to join her noticeably moved gal pal onstage)

by Anonymousreply 9404/28/2011

"The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom" with Shirley Maclaine.

Harriet Blossom, the lonely wife of a workaholic brassiere manufacturer, breaks her sewing machine and ends up in bed with the repairman, a mechanic from one of her husband's factories. The man, Ambrose, is supposed to leave during the night but Harriet finds him the next day still hiding in the attic. Harriet lets her new lover stay in the attic for years, managing to keep it all secret from her husband and from the detectives investigating the sudden disappearance of a certain Mr. Ambrose Tuttle

by Anonymousreply 9504/28/2011

R40 got it right. An Angel at My Table is a stunning piece of work. Jane Campion and Laura Jones did an amazing job of adapting Jane Frame's autobiographical books for the screen - and Kerry Fox is transcendent as the grown Janet. If you've not seen this film, rent it, download it, do whatever you can to see this film. I think it especially resonates with the LGBT community because Frame was such an outsider most of her life. Also, all of you big readers here in DL: if you haven't read any Janet Frame, do it. Her three-book autobiography (To the Is-land, An Angel at my Table and The Envoy from Mirror City) are amazing pieces of work.

by Anonymousreply 9604/28/2011

R90, THE WRONG BOX is on YouTube.

I also have it - hehe - burned onto a dvd.

It is not all that obscure, and its pedigree is certainly prodigious.

As I have mentioned i other threads, the Peter Sellers cameo is one of the best in any English language film.

by Anonymousreply 9704/28/2011

The Bigger the Better, with Matt Ramsey. I like the scene where the student comes over to Matts house to work out and gets fucked hard.

by Anonymousreply 9804/28/2011

Arthur Bressan's "Abuse" with Raphael Sbarge.

by Anonymousreply 9904/28/2011

Rocket Gibralter (1988)

Hope & Glory (1987)

by Anonymousreply 10004/28/2011

Four Friends%0D %0D Crossing Delancy%0D %0D Truly Madly Deeply

by Anonymousreply 10104/28/2011

Great thread. I loved Choose Me and the Moderns. Another one that comes to mind is Housekeeping with Christine Lahti.

by Anonymousreply 10204/28/2011

Wish You Were Here which starred Emily Loyd.

I always mention it because it is so awesome: Personal Services starring Julie Walters as an accidental Madame who becomes an advocateforsexual freedom in GB.

by Anonymousreply 10304/28/2011

Don't be fooled by the DVD cover which makes it look like a silly romance or something. Great movie.

by Anonymousreply 10404/28/2011

Fraternity Row- a USC student film about hazing that starred Gregory Harrison. It got a limited theatrical release and pops up on TV from time to time. Very moving. I think Don McLean was related to someone who worked on the film; he contributed some songs to the soundtrack.

The Company of Wolves- probably the best take on Red Riding Hood ever made

Son of the Shark - based on the true story of two abandoned/orphaned brothers who terrorize a small town in France. I'm dying to know what happened to these two.

Eyes of Fire - truly obscure horror film that was a like a breath of fresh air in the 80's when the slasher flick reigned supreme. A forerunner to Blair Witch.

Melody - a little film I saw once at midnight in the late 70's that I have never forgotten. It reteamed Mark Lester and Jack Wild from Oliver! in a cute story of a couple of ten year olds who decide to get married (not to each other).

And I second all the praise for Paperhouse.

by Anonymousreply 10504/28/2011

La Boum 1980 (w/a super young Sophie Marceau)

a Little Romance (1979) With a super young Diane Lane.

I loved The Dead too.

by Anonymousreply 10604/28/2011

Joey Breaker - I saw this at a film festival because I have a soft spot for Richard Edson, who stars. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Cedella Marley and Gina Gershon also appear. Joey Breaker is a brash, successful agent in New York who gets an education in life after he falls in love with a Jamaican nursing student, gets a gay client, and helps out a man dying of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 10704/28/2011

I don't know if it qualifies as obscure, as it's critically regarded as a kind of pinnacle of French New Wave cinema, but most of my friends seem not to know it, so I'll add:%0D %0D CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING (Jacques Rivette)%0D %0D Almost unsummarizable, I'll steal the IMDB blurb: A mysteriously linked pair of young women find their daily lives pre-empted by a strange boudoir melodrama that plays itself out in a hallucinatory parallel reality.%0D %0D It's long - 3.5 hours - but SO worth the ride. Closest thing I know to dream reality/mystery captured on film, without any of the annoying pretensions that might suggest. And a gorgeous turn by the lead actors, including the stellar, recently departed Marie-France Pisier. Try to find it if you're in the mood for a wonderful mindbender.

by Anonymousreply 10804/28/2011

[quote]Another one that comes to mind is Housekeeping with Christine Lahti.%0D %0D Oh god, R122 - I'd forgotten that gem. A rare instance where a carefully crafted "small" novel, by Marilyn Robinson, gets a pitch-perfect screen translation. I forgive Lahti almost every subsequent bum role because of that movie.

by Anonymousreply 10904/28/2011

"The Wrong Box" is available on DVD-R from Sony (?) I just bought it through Deep Discount.

"Deathtrap" with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve has kind of fallen into obscurity. I love that one.

And posters here know it but "Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean" is pretty obscure generally.

by Anonymousreply 11004/28/2011

"Letter to Brezhnev" - British film originally released in 1985

"The Object of Beauty" a BBC production starring John Malkovich and Andie MacDowell. Yes, Andie MacDowell.

by Anonymousreply 11104/28/2011

The Family Way - Delightful Hayley Mills vehicle. Wow, did she ever have screen presence. She was the very definition of "star quality".%0D %0D Swimming Pool - Excellent psycho-drama with a mesmerizing performance by Charlotte Rampling.%0D %0D My Summer of Love - Captivaing sexual drama about lesbian love, lust, and manipulation.%0D %0D The Ninth Gate - One of Polanski's latest and best efforts. Depp's finest performance outside of Scissorhands.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11204/28/2011

Luchino Visconti's THE DAMNED with Dirk Bogarde, Ingrid Thulin, Charlotte Rampling, Helmut Griem (Cabaret) and Visconti's lover Helmut Berger. This movie was originally X- rated when it was released in 1969. About a German family's decline as the Nazi party rises. The family owns a steelworks and munitions empire. This is on DVD.%0D %0D Harold Prince's production of SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE with Angela Lansbury and, looking quite enticing in shorts, Michael York.

by Anonymousreply 11304/28/2011

NiGHT WATCH - Elizabeth Taylor and Laurence Harvey (his final film) in the movie version of Lucille Fletcher's stage thriller. This one is available on youtube.%0D %0D %0D MOMENT TO MOMENT - Jean Seberg, Honor Blackman, Arthur Hill and newcomer Sean Garrison in one of those early 60's murder melodramas with beuatiful costumes and settings. Think PORTRAIT IN BLACK or WHERE LOVE HAS GONE. Great title song written by Henry Mancini over the titles. Not to be confused with that John Travolta Lily Tomlin movie MOMENT BY MOMENT.

by Anonymousreply 11404/28/2011

My Blood Runs Cold!!

by Anonymousreply 11504/28/2011

Another vote for The Object of Beauty (really fine acting by the supporting actors, the deaf girl in particular). And another vote for The Ninth Gate, really good movie, the ending creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 11604/28/2011

Happiness directed by Todd Solodnz. I have never seen anything like it

by Anonymousreply 11704/28/2011

The Wrong Box and Choose Me -- great movies.

by Anonymousreply 11804/28/2011

Prick Up your Ears, I think it should be a classic by now but it seems to have been forgotten.%0D %0D Shoot The Moon.%0D %0D L'Armee Des Ombres, a French gem made in the 60s about the French resistance in the Second World War and recently rediscovered.%0D %0D The Hospital (1971)%0D %0D More 60s British stuff:-%0D %0D Accident (1967)%0D %0D I'll Never Forget What's 'Is Name%0D %0D Sebastian%0D %0D Also, Hester St. which we recently discussed here on DL. It's a fucking Masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 11904/28/2011

Has The Wrong Box been on TCM?%0D %0D %0D I love Any Wednesday, the movie based on a stage comedy with Jane Fonda, Jason Robards,%0D Dean Jones and repeating her stage role, Rosemary Murphy. It's available thru Warner Archives and I believe it recently premiered on TCM too.

by Anonymousreply 12004/28/2011

Bacheha-Ye Aseman (Children Of Heaven) - Beautiful Iranian film from 1997 about a poor brother and sister and their adventures over a pair of shoes.

Le Mozart Des Pickpockets - French short film from 2007. Two men that make a living stealing, end up taking care of a deaf Romanian kid. Comical homosexual situations.

Depuis Qu'Otar Parti (Since Otar Left) - 2003 French film about the "dynamic depiction of the heartrending love shared by a grandmother, mother and granddaughter after a tragedy strikes from afar".

by Anonymousreply 12104/28/2011

A Little Night Music with Elizabeth Taylor. Yes, the movie is badly edited, clunky and Taylor looks chunky but the original costumes as, designed for the stage by Florence Klotz, are beautiful. And it's Sondheim. And Diana Rigg is marvelous as the Countess. Too bad the movie turned out so bad.

by Anonymousreply 12204/28/2011

The Pajama Game (Doris Day) and Damn Yankees (Gwen Verdon, Tab Hunter, Ray Walston)-- two 50's musicals that never get any airplay on TCM. Wonder why? They are available on DVD.%0D %0D Claudelle Inglish - Diane McBain. Bad trash but fun trash.%0D %0D Wild River- Jo Van Fleet, Montgomery Clift and Lee Remick.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 12304/28/2011

BREAKDOWN ...what sounds like a formula 'b' movie turns out to be a taut, scary thriller with excellent acting & a clever plot.%0D %0D Kurt Russell is great as the husband whose wife mysteriously disappears while on a road trip west, and who frantically searches for her in unfamiliar territory. J.T. Walsh is masterful as a truck driver who may know more than he lets on. And bonus for us boys: Cute young Jack Noseworthy provides some nice eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 12404/28/2011

I always confuse The Ninth Gate with The Ninth Configuration. The latter is a brilliant but mostly forgotten little film written & directed by William Peter Blatty about nuts in the nuthouse.

by Anonymousreply 12504/28/2011

R112, you are the only other person I know who has seen The Family Way. Let's make it a Hayley Mills double feature and throw in Whistle Down the Wind.

I will also add the charming Frankie Starlight, about a dwarf's search for love.

by Anonymousreply 12604/28/2011

A scene from r117's movie

make sure you watch the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 12704/28/2011

Here's hoping I can actually find the movies listed in this thread! Some of them sound *really* obscure!%0D %0D Is there some kind of online obscure movie club or online rental place out there?

by Anonymousreply 12804/28/2011

Do any of the Brits here know a film named Kes?

It's a British coming of age film by Ken Loach. A couple of actors mentioned it one of their favourite movies.

I couldn't find it on DVD a couple of years ago, then I forgot about it.

by Anonymousreply 12904/28/2011

Lots of great little movies on this thread. Many of which I would also list. %0D %0D BUT so happy to see 3 films high on my list of all time favorites mentioned and their appreciation shared.%0D %0D Entres Nous (As a result I cut my hair into a pixie, wore a black pencil skirt & searched frantically for a swing coat in 1983, then asked everyone if I looked like Miou-Miou)%0D %0D Careful He Might Hear You - wonderful, painful and wonderful. That beautiful, brilliant little actor never acted again on film. %0D %0D Close My Eyes. The only time I found incest absolutely exciting & erotic. But then Clive Owen and Saskia Reeves will have that effect on you. %0D %0D My all time fave obscure film is I Know Where I'm Going. When the Emeric Pressburger/Michael Powell Retrospective was "touring" the country in the 90s I took all my friends to see it at the Biograph in Georgetown. Though they enjoyed it they mocked me forever after with the theme song. %0D %0D Obscure fact - Kevin Macdonald who directed State of Play, The Last King of Scotland, Touching the Void and One Day in September is Emeric Pressburger's grandson.

by Anonymousreply 13004/28/2011

R68, thanks for the rec about AKA ...i just ordered the dvd from amazon (lots of cheap copies available).%0D %0D It looks very cool, sexy & mysterious a la TALENTED MR. RIPLEY.

by Anonymousreply 13104/28/2011

I guess any old film is obscure nowadays, since movies aren't in TV for free nowadays. We used to watch old movies day and night on independently-owned stations and at night on network subsidiaries. Even channel 4 in NYC, which was the NBC subsidiary, showed movies at 4 pm every weekday afternoon. I saw lots of British movies at 4pm, but they were censored, so parts of the films didn't make sense to me. "Darling" was particularly senseless but I didn't care, because I loved the fashions.

by Anonymousreply 13204/28/2011

The posters who've mentioned Entre Nous, which I love, reminded me of the first Miou Miou film I saw - the funny, moving JONAH WHO WILL BE 25 IN THE YEAR 2000.%0D %0D Has ANYONE else seen it? It's was co-written by John Berger and director Alain Tanner, and is a bit like a Swiss "Return of the Secaucus Seven", tracking a group of 60s activists in Geneva in the 70s, trying to get on with their lives without losing the last shred of their political integrity. I haven't seen it since its 1976 release, and it still sticks with me.

by Anonymousreply 13304/28/2011

Absolute Beginners - a British musical which takes place in 1958 about the transformation from 1950s jazz and early rock to a new generation on the verge of the 1960s. London is post-World War II, but pre-Beatles and the Stones. The storyline incorporates elements of the 1958 London racial riots. Starring Patsy Kensit, David Bowie, Sade, Ray Davies.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 13404/28/2011

Oh, and "Diva", a 1981 French film about a young guy who records an opera diva's performance of "Ebben? Ne andr%C3%B2 lontana" from La Wally and then gets chased by gangsters.%0D

by Anonymousreply 13504/28/2011

Under NO circumstances should anyone watch Mr. Wrong with Ellen Degeneres. It is one of the worst movies I ever saw. No redeeming virtues whatsoever. Poor Ellen. So unworthy of her.

by Anonymousreply 13604/28/2011

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but YOU BELONG TO ME, from 2007, is a really well done thriller.%0D %0D I think I saw it on LOGO one night, and it immediately drew me in. A gay young guy meets a gorgeous Frenchman & decides to move into his same NYC apartment building. Once moved in, things are not quite right about the place, and things start unraveling...

by Anonymousreply 13704/28/2011

I love Diva, R135, but does it qualify as obscure? I think it's such a perennial cult favorite that it's never fallen off the radar.

by Anonymousreply 13804/28/2011

"Whistle down the Wind" -- another Haley Mills gem.

As was "The Chalk Garden"-- somewhat less obscure.

by Anonymousreply 13904/28/2011

"Breakdown" is creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 14004/28/2011

R130-- love your post and agree on all! Spent my youth in the Biograph and am a longtime Powell/Pressburger fan. Didn't know that about Kevin MacDonald.

I'd like to mention the Last Days of Chez Nous, and also second An Angel at My Table, both starring the sublime Kerry Fox. Gspar Noe's Irreversible is great, but only for viewers with strong constitutions.

by Anonymousreply 14104/28/2011

(129) Kes isn't that obscure. It's rated as one of the best British films ever. You can watch it for free at

by Anonymousreply 14204/28/2011

Apartment Zero. Creepy Colin Firth stalks gorgeous Hart Bochner in junta-era Argentina.

Peppermint Candy. Korean man relives how his life began to go awry. It's a trip through Korean history, which is a sad one.

Right now on SHowtime Too I'm watching a washed-out Brit movie from 1983 called "Betrayal." Ben Kingsley is hard to recognize with hair on his head. Handsome Jeremy Irons is paired with incredibly miscast Patricia Hodge, who is horse-faced and old-looking but is supposed to be juggling the love of two men. Jeremy is having a hard time acting like a lovelorn swain. The dialogue does not help. "Darling I love you! I'm mad about you!"

Anyone seen this deeply weird film?

by Anonymousreply 14304/28/2011

Two Robert Altman films:%0D %0D THREE WOMEN (1977)%0D %0D A WEDDING (1978)

by Anonymousreply 14404/28/2011

It's sad that a great number of these aren't available via Netflix, and all the independent video rental places around here, where I used to rent these films, are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 14504/28/2011

I have watched Betrayal several times and LOVED it

by Anonymousreply 14604/28/2011

This thread restores my faith in the DL. %0D Let me add a few more: %0D %0D DAVID AND LISA, with Keir Dullea and Janet Margolin. And it's not that obscure, but THE FOX, with Keir Dullea, Sandy Dennis and Anne Heywood. %0D %0D RESURRECTION, with Ellen Burstyn, Sam Shepard and Eva LeGallienne. %0D %0D THE KING OF MARVIN GARDENS, also with Ellen Burstyn, Jack Nicholson and Burce Dern.%0D %0D DAMAGE, with Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche. %0D %0D LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS, with DL fave Bea Arthur. %0D %0D I also like those George Segal/Elliot Gould%0D 70s dramas, like BLUME IN LOVE, GETTING STRAIGHT, and I LOVE MY WIFE. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 14704/28/2011

[quote]It's sad that a great number of these aren't available via Netflix, and all the independent video rental places around here, where I used to rent these films, are long gone.%0D %0D Hmm, I smell business opportunity!

by Anonymousreply 14804/28/2011

Three quirky teen-focused movies I love: Smooth Talk, Ruby in Paradise, and Gas. Food. Lodging.

by Anonymousreply 14904/28/2011

Kwik Stop

by Anonymousreply 15004/28/2011

An English couple holiday in Venice to sort out their relationship. There is some friction and distance between them, and we also sense they are being watched. One evening, they lose their way looking for a restaurant, and a stranger invites them to accompany him. He plies them with wine and grotesque stories from his childhood. They leave disoriented, physically ill, and morally repelled. But, next day, when the stranger sees them in the piazza, they accept an invitation to his sumptuous flat. After this visit, the pair find the depth to face questions about each other, only to be drawn back into the mysterious and menacing fantasies of the stranger and his mate.

Starring: Rupert Everett, Natasha Richardson, Helen Mirren and Christopher Walken Directed by Paul Schrader

by Anonymousreply 15104/28/2011

Holy fuck, "Smooth Talk"! I loved that movie back in high school. Treat Williams was amazing in that film.

by Anonymousreply 15204/28/2011

Another vote for VOICES - such a sweet heart breaking story. Michael Ontkean was the best boyfriend EVER.

And another vote for SMASHING TIME - when Rita Tushingham and Lynn Redgrave find out that don't have enough money to pay for their lunches, Lynn tells Rita: "You stay here and keep eating, I'll go downtown and get a modeling job and an apartment and be right back."

THREE WISHES - Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's husband is missing in the Korean War - and when she accidentally hits Patrick Swayze with her car - she invites him to stay at her house. She has two sons....and ... well there is a great metaphysical theme to this movie - and it has a great ending.

Les Uns de les Autres - Many lives intertwine during WW II and the years that follow...James Caan and Geraldine Chaplin in multiple roles..and many terrific French performers....lots of dance....and many tears.

by Anonymousreply 15304/28/2011

Another vote for "Smooth Talk". I *think* it was Laura Dern's first movie. Once Treat Williams shows up, things start to get weird.%0D %0D "The Changeling" with George C. Scott is a good horror movie that doesn't get much attention.%0D %0D "The Seventh Victim" - scary film from the 40's.%0D %0D "Paris" with Juliette Binoche. It might not be considered obscure in France.%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15404/29/2011

[quote]Has The Wrong Box been on TCM?

Yes, several times. Before that it was on Starz or Encore back in the 1990s, which is where I first saw it. In the mid 1990s, I ran into Larry Gelbart and made an absolute fool out of myself gushing over how great the movie was.

Also, Tony Hancock has a really lovely cameo toward the end. Terrific film, only recently getting the recognition it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 15504/29/2011

Entre Nous was such a good film. I even have the wonderful, beautiful soundtrack. I never really understood if the women were supposed to be gay. They seemed very interested in men. I just think they loved each other more than the losers they married, but on IMDB they seem obsessed with its 'lesbian theme'.%0D %0D [quote]Do any of the Brits here know a film named Kes?%0D %0D Yes, it's considered a great classic here in England and is available on DVD.%0D %0D My mother took me to see it in about 1970, aged 7 and I couldn't understand the Yorkshire accents. It's a very sad film. Personally I don't like it much. Here's a clip.

by Anonymousreply 15604/29/2011

L'Homme Blesse

Thank You, Mr. Wonderful

by Anonymousreply 15704/29/2011

Another vote for "The Family Way". Marjorie Rhodes gives one of the greatest performances ever as John Mills' wife. Deserved the Oscar (I think she may have won the NY Film Critics' Award that year).

by Anonymousreply 15804/29/2011

Speaking of Laura Dern, "Rambling Rose."

by Anonymousreply 15904/29/2011

R145 visit your local library for many of these movies. Chances are they have it in stock or can order it from a neighboring library.

That's how I found my contribution to this thread, Marked Woman staring Bette Davis as a lady of the night. One of my all time favs.

by Anonymousreply 16004/29/2011

Conflict - Humphrey Bogart

by Anonymousreply 16104/29/2011

Bedelia, an English movie mystery with Margaret Lockwood. Based on a novel by Vera Caspary.

by Anonymousreply 16204/29/2011

Most of these films could not be categorised as "obscure." I've seen just about all of them.

This thread should be retitled "'80s Art House Hits."

by Anonymousreply 16304/29/2011

Marton Csokas is an admitted bisexual!

by Anonymousreply 16404/29/2011

I'm a cyborg but that's ok by chan-wook park

by Anonymousreply 16504/29/2011

Here are some of my favorites from my youth:

Ladies and Gentlemen the Fabulous Stains

Times Square

Old Enough

Seven Minutes in Heaven

by Anonymousreply 16604/29/2011

This thread has reminded me of so many great movies. Other than all the ones already listed...

Racing with the Moon - Elizabeth McGovern and Sean Penn (and many others)

Love with the Proper Stranger - Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen

Rodger Dodger - Campbell Scott and a young Jesse Eisenberg, with two small terrific performances by Elizabeth Berkley (yes, that one) and Jennifer Beals

I guess this one is arguably obscure - maybe it should be in the category of under-appreciated gems: The Station Agent, with Peter Dinklage, Bobby Cannavale, and the always wonderful Patricia Clarkson.

The Daytrippers - Stanley Tucci, Hope Davis, Parker Posey, Liev Schreiber, and Anne Meara (who almost sinks this quirky honest film.) Tucci has a small scene that - well, if they gave awards for brilliant scenes...t

Lawn Dogs - Sam Rockwell

by Anonymousreply 16704/29/2011

1980 - In Marin County, a simple husband desperately tries to keep up with his family's obsession with the latest fads. Alternatively a funny parody or sad commentary about present trends toward "identity" and the "ultimate" lifestyle in modern America.

Martin Mull, Tom Smothers, Tuesday Weld, Sally Kellerman

by Anonymousreply 16804/29/2011

Thanks R156 & r142.

It's not well-known in North America, but I didn't know if that was true of Britain. Ken Loach never got the credit he deserved over here.

I expect it to be sad if it's Loach, but if the bird dies or is tortured, I'm out...can't handle animal cruelty, even on screen.

by Anonymousreply 16904/30/2011

R168, thanks, "Serial" sounds like fun! %0D %0D ...interesting how so many of these worthwhile films seem to just get lost in the ether.

by Anonymousreply 17004/30/2011

"Obscure" is largely subjective so just let it go.

by Anonymousreply 17104/30/2011

R156 wrote:%0D [quote]Entre Nous was such a good film....I never really understood if the women were supposed to be gay. They seemed very interested in men. I just think they loved each other more than the losers they married, but on IMDB they seem obsessed with its 'lesbian theme'.%0D %0D The director/writer, Diane Kurys, has said the film is biographical about her mother/family. She never knew for sure if the women were lovers but believes they were. Entre Nous is part of a trilogy about Kurys' youth, and the other two, Peppermint Soda and Cocktail Molotov, are definitely worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 17204/30/2011

Melvin and Howard: a down-on-his-luck guy picks up Howard Hughes on the side of the road. The film focuses on the guy (Melvin's) spendthrift lifestyle and tumultuous relationship. Mary Steenburgen is great in it.

by Anonymousreply 17304/30/2011

and Mary Steenburgen won the fucking Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. therefore Melvin and Howard is not an obscure film!

by Anonymousreply 17404/30/2011

agree w/r166 - Old Enough was AWESOME.

by Anonymousreply 17504/30/2011

R89, that trailer sure doesn't do the movie justice, does it?%0D %0D "Paperhouse" is a great film. It's a crime and a sin that it's not readily available on DVD. I would buy it in a heart-beat.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 17604/30/2011

One of my favorites is "The Chocolate War"... great, great film with an awesome soundtrack.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 17704/30/2011

Movies that end on a down note:%0D "The Heart is a Lonley Hunter" w/ Alan Arkin. great melancholy musical score too.%0D "I Want to live" W/ Susan Hayward. Story of the execution of Barbara Graham.

by Anonymousreply 17804/30/2011

The image is very obscure because of all the vasaline used on the lens.

by Anonymousreply 17904/30/2011

The Wizard of Oz--its an old movie but it is in color (most of it). I saw it recently, and even though the special effects are pretty primitive, it has a great story and cool design.

by Anonymousreply 18004/30/2011

Uninvited with Ray Milland

BTW Just saw Paperhouse. Great movie! I was really afraid for her

by Anonymousreply 18104/30/2011

[quote]Entre Nous was such a good film....I never really understood if the women were supposed to be gay. They seemed very interested in men. I just think they loved each other more than the losers they married, but on IMDB they seem obsessed with its 'lesbian theme'.

The film bugged me a bit, as did this description. Lena's husband saved her life. He worked hard. It might not have been a love match, but he wasn't a "loser." I remember walking out of the movie being a bit annoyed at how he was dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 18204/30/2011

I would have thought the same about Diva, R138. But I referenced it in a crowd I just assumed would know it recently and no one in the group had even heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 18304/30/2011

In a California high school, a married teacher is the athletic coach and faculty advisor. He starts to have sex flings with his female students and eventually has to kill several of the girls to keep them quiet. Based on a novel by Francis Pollini.

Starring Rock Hudson, Angie Dickinson, Telly Savalas, Roddy McDowall, Keenan Wynn and Introducing John David Carson. Directed by Roger Vadim (Opening titles at link).

by Anonymousreply 18404/30/2011

Passion in the Desert - Weird, haunting film starring the delicious Ben Daniels (who has nude scenes in the movie!)%0D %0D %0D A Canterbury Tale - a great movie from "the Archers"%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 18504/30/2011

R34 I've never been able to find King Of The Hill. So vivid and inspiring. "I'm not leaving."

I recommend The Hit with John Hurt, Terence Stamp and Tim Roth, if you can find it.

I regret selling some of my videotapes, including A Month In The Country (during my Branagh phase, which led to my Firth phase), Colin Firth's first stammering role, and a memorable one.

I regret taping over The Effect Of Gamma Rays On Man-in-the-moon Marigolds. I was young and took things for granted.

I did replace many of my tapes with DVDs, however. Apartment Zero. The Advocate. Vagabond (French). Oscar and Lucinda. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Naked. Shallow Grave. Metropolitan. Hope and Glory. Flirting With Disaster. I trust those are easily found, both the descriptions and the DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 18604/30/2011

If you like paranoia thrillers (The Conversation, The Parallax View, Marathon Man, Three Days of the Condor, The Ipcress File etc), check out this forgotten gem...%0D %0D MIRAGE (1965)...Gregory Peck is tremendous as an amnesiac whose life seems to be in danger, but he doesn't know why. Topnotch cast incl. Diane Baker, Walter Matthau, Kevin McCarthy, George Kennedy. Wonderfully-atmospheric black-and-white cinematography, a veritable time capsule of 60s New York City. Cool jazzy score by Quincy Jones.%0D %0D I love this film & have watched it many times. It is fun in a mysterious & kind of weird way. To get this on DVD, I bought the The Gregory Peck Film Collection, which has several other classics - a pretty decent deal.

by Anonymousreply 18704/30/2011

I don't think The Damned is obscure movie, it's consedered one of Visconti's finest and most famous works.

I love Dirk Bogarde, by the way, and suggest everybody to watch amazing THE VICTIM - movie that chagned trajectory of his career, and simply one of the most disturbing movies I ever saw.

by Anonymousreply 18804/30/2011

"The Chocolate War" is on MGMHD right now.%0D

by Anonymousreply 18905/01/2011

R186 Sorry, it should have read "still not on DVD in the US" What a shame. It can be found on VHS through some on-line vendors. I'm glad I still have my VHS machine.

by Anonymousreply 19005/01/2011

[quote]I guess this one is arguably obscure - maybe it should be in the category of under-appreciated gems: The Station Agent, with Peter Dinklage, Bobby Cannavale, and the always wonderful Patricia Clarkson.

Such a great little film (no pun intended). Dinklage and Clarkson are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 19105/01/2011

I love all those movies R187 mentions, so I'll be on the lookout for Mirage. Maybe TCM will show it. It sounds like my kind of movie.

by Anonymousreply 19205/01/2011

I'm not sure if "Lone Star" counts as obscure, but I don't know many people who've seen it.

Chris Cooper is so great in this; first time I ever saw him in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 19305/01/2011

Warner Bros was selling DVDs of that movie autographed by Angie Dickenson last year, R84. I managed to snag one before it sold out, and now I don't want to open the packaging and possibly ruin the autograph.

by Anonymousreply 19405/01/2011

I'm seeding "Choose Me" on isoHunt. Not sure if Americans can access isoHunt.

by Anonymousreply 19505/01/2011

Q -- Larry Cohen monster movie. An ancient prehistoric monster takes up residence in the Chrysler building.

This is a wonderful thread. Maybe someone with more editing skills than I have could assemble a list of these movies, alphabetical, perhaps? With dates and directors when supplied?

That would be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 19605/01/2011

Just saw JUDE (1996) with Christopher Eccleston, Kate Winslet and Rachel Griffiths. Good but very, very depressing. There are some disturbing scenes.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 19705/01/2011

^ I love Jude

by Anonymousreply 19805/01/2011

Targets, Peter Bogdanovich's first film and Boris Karloff's last. Riveting and ahead of its time about a man who shoots innocent people in 1968 LA.

Tadpole, with an excellent cast of Sigourney Weaver, John Ritter and Lileth. And great Voltaire quotes.

by Anonymousreply 19905/01/2011

Station Agent is a brilliant film.

by Anonymousreply 20005/01/2011

great thread... seeing "choose me" as the introduction to the thread was such a treat. it's long been a favorite of mine. totally recommend it.

i'll echo "cutter's way," "3 women," and "melvin and howard."

and i'll add...

"my live without me" (mi vida sin mi)(2003) with sarah polley, mark ruffalo and scott speedman. about a young mother who is terminally ill, so, yes, it's depressing, but wonderful all at the same time.

"stormy monday" (1988), directed by mike figgis. stars sean bean, tommy lee jones, sting and melanie griffith. filled with oddball characters, it's set in the criminal underworld of newcastle during a festival celebrating the u.s. even griffith is good!

"local hero" (1983), directed by bill forsythe. stars burt lancaster and peter riegert about the conflict between big oil and a small scottish coastal village. magical.

"rich in love" (1992), directed by bruce beresford. albert finney, jill clayburgh, katherine erbe, alfre woodard, kyle mclaughlin, piper laurie, ethan hawke, suzi amis in a south carolina town as a family falls apart and then reassembles itself in a new configuration.

"yanks" (1979), directed by john schlesinger. with richard gere, lisa eichhorn, vanessa redgrave, william devane. set in great britain during wwII, a village has a u.s. military base nearby, so the two cultures merge and clash. unabashedly romantic.

"rancho deluxe" (1975), directed by frank perry. jeff bridges and sam waterston play two of the dumbest cattle rustlers ever in this story of the modern west. also stars slim pickins and elizabeth asheley as the owners of the prize bull that's the target of a theft. this one is all over the place and very, very funny.

by Anonymousreply 20105/01/2011

Agree r201 Rich in Love is fabulous!!

by Anonymousreply 20205/01/2011

"Lone Star" is fantastic, r193. I'm one of about 200 people who actually saw it in the theater when it was released. One of the very rare films where Matthew McConaughey actually gives a good performance.

Would love to see this one get a special edition or Criterion Blu-ray release.

by Anonymousreply 20305/01/2011

"SO FINE" 1981 - While trying to get his father (Jack Warden) out of a financial jam, a man (Ryan O"Neal) comes up with an idea that turns into an unexpected overnight financial fashion success - the bottomless pants.

"...ALL THE MARBLES" 1981 - Harry (Peter Falk) manages The California Dolls, a female wrestling tag team endlessly touring America. He is also romantically involved with one of them. Their fortunes seem on the slide (particularly when Harry accepts an engagement involving mud wrestling!) but then the big grudge match beckons.

"THE PACK" 1977 - The residents of vacation spot Seal Island find themselves terrorized by a pack of dogs -- the remnants of discarded pets by visiting vacationers. Starring Joe Don Baker, R.G. Armstrong, BiBi Besch

"HEALTH" 1980 - Assembling his standard large cast, director Robert Altman makes some pointed comments on the hypocrisy of many health food aficionados. As disjointed as it is, HEALTH is still light years more clever than a lot of movies that get wide release so it's a real head scratcher why it sat on the shelf for so long...and is pretty much forgotten now. Starring Carol Burnett, Glenda Jackson, James Garner, Lauren Bacall, Paul Dooley, Alfre Woodard and Henry GIbson

by Anonymousreply 20405/07/2011

Where's Poppa. Hysterical and still cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 20505/07/2011

84 Charing Cross Road with Anne Bancroft, Anthony Hopkins, and Judi Dench.

by Anonymousreply 20605/07/2011

"Cold Turkey" directed by Normal Lear 1971

Dick Van Dyke is a minister leading his entire flock on a crusade to give up smoking for 30 days for a 25 million dollar prize. An entire town with withdrawal symptoms is not a pretty sight but it is a funny one.

Also with Pippa Scott, Tom Poston, Bob Newhart, Vincent Gardenia, Barnard Hughes, Bob (Elliott) & Ray (Goulding), and Jean Stapleton

by Anonymousreply 20705/07/2011

To go along with some other people in this thread:%0D %0D "Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift"%0D %0D "Jaws 2"%0D %0D "Network"%0D %0D "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"%0D %0D I'm serious, ya'll!

by Anonymousreply 20805/07/2011

"Norman Is That You?" 1976 comedy Redd Foxx and Pearl Bailey as a middle-aged couple coming to terms with their son's homosexuality. Every swishy gay stereotype can be found here, possibly amusing for it's time, maybe offensive to some by present standards. Based on the play in which the characters are Jewish rather than black.

by Anonymousreply 20905/07/2011

ZARDOZ - John Boorman's 1974 wacko sci-fi flick starring Sean Connery dressed like this...

by Anonymousreply 21005/07/2011

Holy fuck R210.

I wonder what actors do when they're in shitty flicks like that for the money or as a quid pro quo? Do they just get drunk and/or stoned and have fun with it, try to salvage it, change direction...?

by Anonymousreply 21105/07/2011

Being an airplane buff and a licensed pilot, I have always enjoyed watching a 1954 Movie starring John Wayne, "The High and The Mighty."

by Anonymousreply 21205/07/2011

Funny R210! %0D %0D Somehow it's hard for me to picture the same guy delivering the iconic line: "Bond...James Bond."%0D %0D ...and that's when men were allowed to be hairy in movies.

by Anonymousreply 21305/07/2011

[quote]maybe offensive to some by present standards.

Are you kidding? This is DL, the international headquarters for promoting that kind of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 21405/07/2011

OMFG, Zardoz! That was a trippy flick.

by Anonymousreply 21505/07/2011

"Dutchman" (1967).

I had to watch it during undergrad and instantly was obsessed with the main character and how much he reminded me of Morgan Freeman and of course Shirley Knight is always great. Hard to find it though, I had to dig and kept getting results for "The Flying Dutchman".

The whole thing is one long metaphor though so if that's not your style it will most likely irk you.

Another one, though I'm not sure how obscure this one is "Pixote" (1981). That movie disturbed me thoroughly. pretty sure the sex scenes, of which there were plenty, were all real. It didn't help that they were all minors I was shocked that a professor found that appropriate viewing material.

by Anonymousreply 21605/07/2011

"Burnt By The Sun" is on Youtube...use the CC function for subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 21705/07/2011

by Anonymousreply 21805/07/2011

r187, you can watch King of the Hill here:

by Anonymousreply 21905/07/2011

I'm watching Smooth Talk right now. Mary Kay Place kinda looks like Kurt Russel in it for some reason and it's weirding me out.

by Anonymousreply 22005/07/2011

[quote]I have always enjoyed watching a 1954 Movie starring John Wayne, "The High and The Mighty."

I like this movie too. I also like Island In The Sky. Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer has small roles in both of these John Wayne films.

by Anonymousreply 22105/07/2011

Not sure how obscure they are...I suppose to someone they are, but-

"Muriel's Wedding" and "Connie and Carla", both with Toni Collette and "Girls Will Be Girls!".

by Anonymousreply 22205/07/2011

Obscure in the US, but not in England, is Michael Powell's wonderful A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH with David Niven. Beautiful cinematography, great love story set against the backdrop of WW2.

I am also a sucker for BEDROOMS AND HALLWAYS.

by Anonymousreply 22305/07/2011

R219 Thank you!!

by Anonymousreply 22405/07/2011

[italic]The Promise[/italic] (1979) starring Kathleen Quinlan, Stephen Collins, and Beatrice Straight. Oscar-nominated title song recorded by Melissa Manchester.

by Anonymousreply 22505/07/2011

r225 my parents took me to see this when I was 9 - intense for a kid- - it stuck with me for a long time.

my parents had no filter at all for movies seriously I saw everything from 1976-1981 in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 22605/07/2011

Gus Van Sant's ELEPHANT is great.

by Anonymousreply 22705/07/2011

Northfork - saw it in the theater and have the DVD. LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 22805/07/2011

I'd forgotten about 84 Charing Cross Road. A perfect little movie.

by Anonymousreply 22905/07/2011

(104) Keith - I just cringed through it. It was like a CW show (bad) and the music was HORRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 23005/07/2011

My offerings:%0D %0D Australian film called: Once Were Warriors. Devastatingly good.%0D %0D A French film starring Omar Sharif called Monsieur Ibrahim. A minor masterpiece.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 23105/07/2011

Back From Eternity. Rod Steiger. On TCM this afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 23205/07/2011

BUG directed by William Friedkin. It stars Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon and a very hot Harry Connick Jr.. The less you know about it before you see it, the better. The last 5 minutes are unreal.

by Anonymousreply 23305/07/2011

UFOria with Cindy Williams, Fred Ward and Harry Dean Stanton.

by Anonymousreply 23405/07/2011

I'm happy to see some movies I've loved over the years shown in this thread. Here's my contributions (I'm a sucker for 60's flicks):%0D %0D You're A Big Boy Now (Francis Ford Coppola's first big studio film, a quirky coming of age story with Peter Kastner aka "The Ugliest Girl In Town", Karen Black, Geraldine Page, Rip Torn, Julie Harris, Elizabeth Hartman, Tony Bill, and Michael "Dr. Loveless" Dunn, AND music by The Lovin' Spoonful!!) %0D %0D Lord Love A Duck (If you loved "Heathers", see the movie it stole the plot from! This 1966 cult classic has Roddy McDowall, Tuesday Weld, Lola Albright, Harvey Korman, Ruth Gordon and hunky Martin West in a tale of a high school genius who would do anything to help a fellow female student's dreams come true- including murder! Roddy was almost 40, but he really is believale in his role as the deliciously twisted Alan. A special shout out to Lola as Tuesday's boozy, slutty mom!)%0D %0D Deadlier Than The Male (Richard Johnson as Bulldog Drummond, with Elke Sommer, Sylva Koscina AND the theme is performed by The Walker Brothers!)%0D %0D A Cold Wind In August (Lola Albright as a stripper who has an affair with a boy half her age!)A fave of John Waters.....%0D %0D Joy House (Yet another Lola Albright movie- okay, I love her, she was one of the most underrated actresses of her day! Here she and Jane Fonda compete for Alain Delon in a sexy noir thriller directed by Rene Clair)%0D %0D Who Killed Teddy Bear? (Not offically on DVD, try to find a copy anywhere! Sal Mineo stalks disco DJ Juliet Prowse, who has to fend off the advances of her dikey boss Elaine Strich! as an added bonus, see Daniel J. Travanti in an early role as the disco's bouncer. If you ever salivated over Sal's body, wait til you see him in the infamous 'swimming pool' sequence with Juliet! BTW, Sal claimed he banged Ms. Prowse, who said he was better in bed than Frank Sinatra!)%0D %0D The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini (AIP's last entry in its beach genre. No Frankie or Annette, but it's loads of fun with Aron Kincaid, Nancy Sinatra, Quinn O'Hara, Tommy Kirk, Deborah Walley, and in guest star roles Boris Karloff, Patsy Kelly and Basil Rathbone in his last role)%0D %0D The Sweet Ride (alas, not on DVD! The recently departed Michael Sarrazin teams up with Jacqueline Bisset, Tony Franciosa, Bob Denver, and Michele Carey in this story of surf bums in California, with a theme song performed by Miss Dusty Springfield!)%0D %0D All are on DVD except The Sweet Ride and Who Killed Teddy Bear- you can thank me later......

by Anonymousreply 23505/07/2011

Brewster McCloud, a Robert Altman movie from about 1970. Very innovative. Lots of sight gags and plot twists. A very magical movie to me. Makes me happy whenever I see it. The opening is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 23605/07/2011

r236, Shelly Duvall's "race car driver" character is hilarious in that. I just saw it for the first time this past week.

by Anonymousreply 23705/07/2011

I'm watching Celine & Julie go boating right now.

by Anonymousreply 23805/07/2011

Herb @ R235 ...thanks for the intriguing suggestions!%0D %0D I haven't seen any of your choices but will check them out for sure.

by Anonymousreply 23905/07/2011

A would-be Marine fails basic training, and is sent home wearing the "baby blue" fatigues of a washout. En route, he is mugged by a battle-fatigued Marine Raider, who leaves him to hitch-hike home in an undeserved hero's uniform. A small Colorado town takes him in, treating him like the hero he appears to be.

Jan Michael-Vincent, Glynnis O'Conner, Katherine Helmond, Bert Remson, Bruno Kirby and Richard Gere

by Anonymousreply 24005/08/2011

I'm watching The Exploding Girl now.

by Anonymousreply 24105/08/2011

"Tulpan." Made by a Russian director in rural Kazakhstan. It has some of the most amazing scenery I ever saw... And a look at a dying way of life. But the surprise is: It's FUNNY as hell!! Totally hilarious. Touching. Quite a gem.%0D %0D See this film. You'll never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 24205/08/2011

The Music Lovers. Ken Russell, Richard Chamberlain, Glenda Jackson and the Beaver.

by Anonymousreply 24305/08/2011

FRIENDS (1971)

In this teen romance, a young neglected English boy (Sean Bury) runs away and becomes friends with a French girl (Anic%C3%A9e Alvina) in the same flight. Together, they go to an idyllic marsh location in France (the Camargue), become lovers, set up housekeeping, have a baby, and play at being responsible adults, discovering along the way many of the troubles involved, before ultimately becoming separated by police responding to a missing persons report.

Directed by Lewis Gilbert and written by Gilbert, Vernon Harris and Jack Russell. The soundtrack by Elton John and Bernie Taupin was released as the Friends album. The film was nominated for Golden Globe Award for Best English-Language Foreign Film at the 1972 Golden Globe Awards. It was also nominated for Best Original Score Written for a Motion Picture at the 1972 Grammy Awards.

PAUL & MICHELLE (1974 Sequel to FRIENDS)

English Paul and French Michelle come together again in this sequel to Friends. Several years have passed since they had their adolescent adventure in baby-making. Paul has just finished his fancy British school while Michelle, her baby and an American live together in France. Paul returns to France to find Michelle and take up where they left off. Unfortunately, things don't go exactly as planned. Starring Anic%C3%A9e Alvina, Sean Bury and Keir Dullea. Directed by Lewis Gilbert

by Anonymousreply 24405/08/2011

"The Double Life of Veronique". I haven't seen this movie in about 20 years, but it still haunts me:

[quote]Ir%C3%A8ne Jacob plays Weronika (pronounced Veronika), a Polish girl whose career as a pianist was crushed along with her finger in a car door. She is now in Krakow to pursue singing and by chance ends up earning an important seat on a famous choir. Her artistic pursuit comes with a price, however: it is putting a strain on her relationship with a man she left at home, and it also takes her away from her father, increasing her feelings of anxiety. She has a pervasive sense that something is missing in her life, that she is out of place with the universe. Cut to a random day on the street of Krakow as a tour bus from France goes through the city square. Looking at the bus, Weronika spots V%C3%A9ronique. Also played by Jacob, V%C3%A9ronique is an exact double for Weronika, something the Polish woman recognizes instantly. The French version doesn't see the other at all, but something has now clicked between them, and they go away from this encounter with a connection, even if one of the pair has not discovered it yet. Eventually, the story shifts to France and V%C3%A9ronique, a music teacher who shares some of the same concerns about identity as her Polish doppelganger. These become particularly strong after certain events happen to Weronika. A phantom pain is beamed across the European borders, and V%C3%A9ronique is possessed with a grief she cannot put a name to. A sensitive woman, this feeling of loss and dissociation forces her eyes open to the world around her, leading to another chance meeting. While V%C3%A9ronique's class watches a marionette show, the teacher and the puppeteer, Alexandre (Philippe Volter), notice one another, and when the performance is over, V%C3%A9ronique can't get this man out of her head. Shortly after, mysterious packages begin showing up in her mailbox, objects that connect her to Weronika for the audience and Alexandre within the story, and the missing element that V%C3%A9ronique has been searching for begins to come into view. This, too, will have an emotional cost.

by Anonymousreply 24505/09/2011

by Anonymousreply 24605/09/2011

BLISS, an Australian movie from 1985. Truly hilarious and a brilliant commentary on middle-class values and hypocrisy. Unfortunately not available on DVD, which is really a shame. I saw it when it was in theaters and would love to see it again. The plot synopsis is intriguing enough, but the movie itself was top-notch.

by Anonymousreply 24705/09/2011

A lot of talk about Dirk Bogarde and classic British cinema, and no mention of The Servant? Directed by Joseph Losey, written by Harold Pinter and with a creepy homo subtext. Definitely recommended.

by Anonymousreply 24805/09/2011

1972 version of "A SEPARATE PEACE"

Based on the John Knowles novel - Gene and Finny are two boys who are best friends living in 1943, at the height of World War II. The idea that the boys will most likely be drafted when they turn eighteen is surrounding them, and they are practically forced to live their lives to the fullest. The two boys attend the Devon School, which prepares them for military life that they will most likely be subjected to. The film begins with a narration by an older Gene, traveling back to Devon some years later. The thing he wishes most to see is the tree, which had a great effect on the boys' lives.

With the exception of Parker Stevenson, most of the boys featured in the movie were real students at Phillips Exeter Academy where the movie was filmed. This includes John Heyl who played Finny. Heyl's Father was the school's on-site doctor.

by Anonymousreply 24905/09/2011

(86) Zachary Quinto??? WTF. I think you're mistaken. Don't you mean Jason Schwartzman (Rushmore, Marie Antoinette, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World)???

by Anonymousreply 25005/10/2011

Something for Everyone, a very Gay movie with Angela Lansbury and Michael York.

by Anonymousreply 25105/10/2011

The Three Colors Trilogy: Red, White, and Blue - from France & Poland.%0D %0D I love "Turtles Can Fly," from Iraq... probably the most astonishing film I ever saw.

by Anonymousreply 25205/10/2011

"The Story Of Juliane Koepcke" aka "Miracles Still Happen". True story of a girl who fell from an airplane and landed in the Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 25305/13/2011

Thank You, Mr. Wonderful

by Anonymousreply 25405/13/2011

My Sweet Charlie with Patty Duke.

Not available anywhere, AFAIK.

by Anonymousreply 25505/13/2011

Love and Death on Long Island starring John Hurt and Jason Priestly.

by Anonymousreply 25605/13/2011

Call Her Savage

by Anonymousreply 25705/13/2011

CALL HER SAVAGE (1932) is a pre-code gem. Clara Bow can't act for beans but you see why she was such a huge star - you can't keep your eyes off her.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 25805/13/2011

SOMEBODY KILLED HER HUSBAND - 1978 - A woman's husband is murdered and she and her lover must find the killer or stand accused of doing it themselves.

Farah Fawcett-Majors, Jeff Bridges, Tammy Grimes, John Glover

by Anonymousreply 25905/13/2011

(252) Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just saw Turtles Can Fly. "Astounding" is the perfect word to describe this film. I have to say it is definitely one of the best films I've seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 26005/14/2011

I'm watching Housekeeping right now. It's ok so far, but I think Leaving Normal is still my favorite Christine Lahti film even though it could probably be more correctly categorized as a Guilty Pleasure flick than an Obscure Gem.

by Anonymousreply 26105/14/2011

Silent Partner. Eliot Gould is a milquetoast guy working in a bank in a mall. The bank gets robbed by Santa Claus (Chistopher Plummer) and Gould takes advantage of the robbery to skim money for himself. But Santa Claus hears on the news that the bank was robbed for three times that which he hauled away. Plummer gets very, very pissed. Turns out he's not just a bank robber; he's a psycho.

And Soon the Darkness. Cheap film but I liked it. Pamela Franklin (Sandy from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie) and Michelle Dotrice are two British nurses bicycling though France on their holiday when one of them disappears.

by Anonymousreply 26205/14/2011

R262, SILENT PARTNER is a great recommendation of a largely forgotten movie. A great twisty plot, genuinely scary! Definitely recommended for anyone who likes a good thriller.

by Anonymousreply 26305/15/2011

I'm watching Choose Me now. Are Genevieve Bujold and Lesley Ann Warren going to fuck?

by Anonymousreply 26405/17/2011

Obsession-Gabriel Byrne, Amanda Donahoe

by Anonymousreply 26505/17/2011

(151) I just saw The Comfort Of Strangers. GOD! WHAT A SNOREFEST.

by Anonymousreply 26605/17/2011

"Julie" - Doris Day as a woman being stalked by her crazed husband played by Louis Jourdan. The lovely Carmel scenery, soundtrack and Jourdan's sexy French accent are highlights, for me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 26705/17/2011

[quote]A Cold Wind In August (Lola Albright as a stripper who has an affair with a boy half her age!)A fave of John Waters.....%0D %0D YES this is a BRILLIANT film. You can also find it for free on hulu.

by Anonymousreply 26805/17/2011

r255 and she won her infamous Emmy for that performance. And even though it was a TV movie, it was also shown in the theaters for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 26905/17/2011

Another Patty Duke one, Me, Natalie from 1970. Also starring James Farentino, Salome Jens, Elsa Lanchester and Martin Balsam.

by Anonymousreply 27005/17/2011

I wish there were more foreign films on this thread. American films bore me.

by Anonymousreply 27105/18/2011

Maybe...Maybe Not%0D %0D German

by Anonymousreply 27205/20/2011

%0D "Boca a Boca" with a young & very hot Javier Bardem playing a phone sex operator.%0D %0D "Dostana" with super-hunk John Abraham pretending to be gay to get a great apartment. A lot of hotness in this movie!!!! (About half in Hindi with English subtitles when they're not speaking English.)

by Anonymousreply 27305/20/2011

Is Silent Partner the one with decaptation through aquarium? Wow, that was scary!

by Anonymousreply 27405/20/2011

(272) ...Um, yeah, Maybe NOT.

by Anonymousreply 27505/21/2011

R274 ...yup!

by Anonymousreply 27605/21/2011

It's threads like this and the "most disturbing book you've ever read" one that keep me coming back to DL. Thanks for all of the great recs.

by Anonymousreply 27708/11/2011

R255: You can watch it on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 27808/11/2011

The Daytrippers is a good one.

by Anonymousreply 27908/11/2011

Just spotted thiss thread and have read through but quite quickly so excuse me if I am repeating any. To the poster who mentioned 'A Private Function', I am laughing just at the memory. I have never in my life seen my mother laugh as much as when we were watching that film and if you loved that you might like 'Keeping Mum'. %0D %0D Other lesser or more known films I really enjoyed were:%0D %0D 'Death and the Maiden' with Sigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley%0D %0D 'Enchanted April' with Miranda Richardson. this one is probably well known but I was iving overseas when a lot of these came out so am unsure as to their popularity. this is one of my favourite comfort films.%0D %0D To the person who mentioned 'Whistle Down the Wind', have you seen 'Sky West and Crooked' with Hayley Mills and Ian McShane? Another favourite of mine from bygone times.%0D %0D 'Naked' with David Thewlis a Mike Leigh film. Hard viewing but worth it.%0D %0D Finally, a totally non obscure film but thought I'd mention it as it starting to slide into obscurity, 'The Crying Game' with Forest Whitaker, Stephen Rea and Miranda Richardson. A friend of mine screamed in the cinema when she saw this. lol.

by Anonymousreply 28008/11/2011

Seconds, a creepy Twilight Zone-ish B & W with Rock Hudson.

And don't ever forget Fail Safe, with Henry Fonda, a good look at the horrors of the Cold War.

by Anonymousreply 28108/11/2011

There are so many.%0D %0D In the 1980's George Harrison of The Beatles produced a number of films for Hand Maid. I am fond of many of them. These are the ones I would recommend that are "obscure;" i.e, they are more "cult" films than anything else.%0D %0D *Withnail and I: Hilarious. The ride into London while Hendrix plays in the background is alone worth the film.%0D %0D *The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne: Maggie Smith and Bob Hoskins giving arguably the best performances of their careers. If I am not mistaken, Smith got the BAFTA for this one. The film went nowhere in the States.%0D %0D *Five Corners: My personal favorite of the Hand Made films. A deadly arrow, Jodi Foster, and a trick with chewing gum are just a few of the delights in this weird, sinister comedy-drama. %0D %0D From the 70's...%0D %0D *Hearts of the West: I have posted before about this one. Jeff Bridges, Andy Griffith, and Jill Clayburgh. Wonderful and funny film about Hollywood that after all these years deserve far more attention.%0D %0D *Go Tell the Spartans: The best Vietnam film that has never been seen, with Burt Lancaster giving the best performance that his fans never saw.%0D %0D *Scorchy (a/k/a Jackie Powers, Special Agent): I have also posted before about this camp masterpiece (in fact, I recall years ago someone on a thread mentioning it and I thought "Finally!Someone else who has seen it!"). You want camp? Let's see...Connie Stevens as an undercover agent. A chase scene ala "The French Connection" with golf carts. Connie reaching an orgasm at the same time her fuck buddy on top of her is harpooned. A staggering work of genius. %0D %0D Mentioning London films from the 60's...%0D %0D *Up the Junction, Poor Cow, and Bunny Lake is Missing. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 28208/11/2011

Apologies for the dreadful typos in [R280]. Am I entitled to an 'Oh dear'?

by Anonymousreply 28308/11/2011

"Smile", about a regional teen beauty contest. Starred Bruce Dern, Barbara Feldon, and, as some of the contestants, Melanie Griffith, Coleen Camp, and Annette O'Toole.

Robert Altman's "3 Women", starring Shelly Duvall and Sissy Spacek (in one of the best performances of her career).

This thread reminds me of why I miss the OLD Bravo channel (mid-90s)--these are the films that aired on that channel all the time.

by Anonymousreply 28408/11/2011

Dear, Mr. Wonderful

I have not seen this since the early 1980s.

Joe Pesci, Evan Handler and Tony Martin!

by Anonymousreply 28508/11/2011

The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom

by Anonymousreply 28608/11/2011

The Quiet Earth - a drama about an apocolyptic end to humanity with just one man left alive (or is he the only one?) The most amazing music throughout, which is haunting.%0D %0D Of Love and Desire - a totally hooty Merle Oberon vanity production in which she canoodles with a white swimsuit-clad Steve Cochran while her own half brother Curt Jurgens is after her sexually.%0D %0D The Crowded Sky - an airplane drama that has a navy jet crashing into a passenger liner fifteen years prior to Airport 1975, but with the same actors as the pilots (only in reverse roles!)%0D %0D Recently caught A Name for Evil, finally. It's a trippy mystery with Samantha Eggar and a full frontal Robert Culp!%0D %0D Some other obscure movies I am longing to see: Angel, Angel, Down We Go, Tam-Lin, Eye of the Cat, The Couch, Puzzle of a Downfall Child and The Sergeant.

by Anonymousreply 28708/12/2011

R287 - you can find some of those at modcinema.

by Anonymousreply 28808/12/2011

NICHOLAS & ALEXANDRA -- when I was a kid I sat through this 3-plus hour movie in a theater on Broadway and felt as if I had lived through the Russian Revolution.

by Anonymousreply 28908/12/2011

From the 80's

Breaking Away

Mozart Brothers

Eating Raoul

Black Widow

by Anonymousreply 29008/12/2011

r287 I'd forgotten all about "The Quiet Earth", I remember being blown away by it. I'm going to see if it's on Netflix, I haven't seen it since it was released. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 29108/12/2011

I'd love to see Siesta again. A trippy film with lots of stars like Grace Jones and Jodie Foster. Jodie played a character very different from herself - a british snob, a "Sloane Ranger".

by Anonymousreply 29208/12/2011

Has anyone else seen Jupiter's Wife?

by Anonymousreply 29311/07/2011

Eye of the Devil - a thriller from 1966 with David Niven, Sharon Tate, Deborah Kerr and beautiful David Hemmings set in a french castle.

by Anonymousreply 29411/19/2011

The Trap with Oliver Reed and Rita Tushingham. I saw it years ago and have never seen any mention of it since. Sweet love story and they were both great in it.

by Anonymousreply 29511/19/2011

Nothing In Common with Tom Hanks and Jackie Gleason in his last film. Great performances by Hanks, Gleason and Eva Marie Saint as Hanks' parents, who are divorcing after 30 years of marriage.

by Anonymousreply 29611/19/2011

I love Vice Squad (1982).

"You'll never change the streets, Walsh."

by Anonymousreply 29711/19/2011

by Anonymousreply 29811/19/2011

No Way to Treat a Lady Rod Steiger, George Segal and Lee Remick Great thriller and quirky love story. Segal was a hunk.

by Anonymousreply 29911/20/2011

Moulin Rouge (1952)sad but based on a true story. The Believer ,East of Eden the lesser known James Dean film.

by Anonymousreply 30011/20/2011

by Anonymousreply 30111/22/2011

Just watching "The Journey of Natty Gann" on YouTube for the first time in probably 20 years. Loved this movie as a kid and am so glad at how well it still holds up watching it as an adult.

But I realize that a movie like that could never get made today, and that is very sad. Oh and PETA would have flipped their shit about the animal violence too.

by Anonymousreply 30203/30/2012

Julian Po

by Anonymousreply 30303/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 30408/08/2012

I've just stumbled across two of Miranda July's shorts from her video chain mail project in the 90s and I can't tell if I like them or not because the audio is so awful I can't understand what she's saying most of the time. I have fairly good audio clean up software but I'm not ure if it's worth taking the time to polish these up.

by Anonymousreply 30509/14/2012

OP, movies are obscure for a reason...usually because they're crap. Like Alan Rudolph's films.

by Anonymousreply 30609/14/2012

R282 made my point.

by Anonymousreply 30709/14/2012

Pic of R306

by Anonymousreply 30809/14/2012

Anything with Steven Bauer...

by Anonymousreply 30909/14/2012

looking for anyone knowing where I can buy a copy of Solomon and Sheba 1995 movie which aired on showtime in 1995. It is listed on Amazon and Itunes but "unavailable" everywhere except in Russia as far as I can tell where it is online and streaming and dubbed. hummm Odd I really want to see it I mean come on there is way more action going on on true blood and vampire diaries that on that movie. I wonder why it is ..just poofed. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 31011/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 31112/08/2012

12 and holding

by Anonymousreply 31212/08/2012

The Cat From Outer Space

by Anonymousreply 31312/08/2012

"Smile" - a 1975 movie about a teenage beauty pageant which I believe was Melanie Griffith's first movie role

by Anonymousreply 31412/08/2012

Touched by Love - starring the late Deborah Raffin, Diane Lane and Michael Learned, I think.

by Anonymousreply 31512/08/2012

Shakes the Clown

by Anonymousreply 31612/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!