Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It''s the 27th of the month and my landlord has STILL not cashed my rent check!

I guess there isn't really a good reason to be annoyed about this, is there?

But fuck it, I'm annoyed anyway.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 3402/12/2013

Wait until it's been 30 days, and then put a stop payment on the check. If he gives you any crap, tell him you thought it had been lost since it had not been cashed.%0D %0D I had a landlord who used to hold checks for some stupid reason, which regularly fucked up my checking account. After I did that he always cashed them the following day.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 104/27/2011

Maybe he lost it and is too embarassed to ask for a replacement.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 204/27/2011

really, keep your mouth shut and maybe you get a free month!

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 304/27/2011

balance you checkbook and your landlord's bank deposits will not matter.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 404/27/2011

I agree with R3. Keep quiet and if it still hasn't been paid after 90 days and you landlord hasn't demanded repayment to said he never received it then he most likely lost the check after he noted your account as being paid, but before he made his bank deposits.

And unless you get free stop payments at your bank I wouldn't even bother stopping payment (which would probably cost you $30.00 minimum). If it's lost it'll probably never be found so why shell out $30.00 or more for nothing.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 504/27/2011

I hate when people do that! I paid a roofer for some necessary repairs in February, and the fucker just cashed the check last week! He upset my entire budget for the month.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 604/27/2011

I hate that shit too. I'd

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 704/27/2011

Our landlord regularly cashes our rent checks 30-60 days late. They never cashed the check for our deposit. They just called last month and asked if we would reissue the check for Novemeber's rent since they had "misplaced" it. The house is great, but I can't wait until we close on our new place and can move.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 804/27/2011

It is annoying, but how does it fuck up a budget. Obviously, just act as if the check has been cashed and the money isn't in your account. It's a totally fake problem.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 904/27/2011

GIVE HIM A MONEY ORDER AND BE DONE WITH IT

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1004/27/2011

R8, I would tell your landlord that I would replace the lost check minus whatever your bank charges for a stop payment. These idiots sometimes have a way of finding those checks sometime later and then trying to cash they one they claim they lost in addition to the replacement.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1104/27/2011

Things like that bother me too but he was probably just on vacation...or dead.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1204/27/2011

Keep your checkbook balanced. It's easy. I've never understood why people don't do it. It maybe takes me 10 minutes a month.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1304/27/2011

My landlord is the only person to whom I even write checks, so there is no reason for memo need to keep my checkbook balanced.

I just hate that he waits and deposits two checks at once. It's not my money but it's still annoying to have your checking account balance drop by $2400 overnight.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1404/27/2011

Why not pay by cash? Just make sure you get a receipt.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1504/27/2011

r15 = Mohammed Atta

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1604/27/2011

Flash OP- the money is gone when you write the check and give it to him. Period, end of story- yes keep track of your bank account and call him if you think something happened- if any check remains outstanding for a long time. But do not assume the money is yours if he waits a few weeks to cash a check- or any check takes long to clear. %0D %0D

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1704/27/2011

Checks. How quaint.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1804/27/2011

OP, if you think of them as "cheques" and picture your landlord as wearing brocaded smoking jackets in the evening, considering it all a bit vulgar to pounce upon your funds as if his life depended on them, perhaps you could reduce your OCD symptoms and admit to yourself it is your problem, not his. The balancing of your cheque ledger to the bank's tally of what remains in your account is only the tawdry end of the social compact you maintained admirably through your timely payment. That's the part that mattered.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 1904/27/2011

Charlie:

Kindly shut the fuck up, you old drunk.

Thank you.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2004/27/2011

[quote]It's not my money but it's still annoying to have your checking account balance drop by $2400 overnight.

WHAT? You talk like a moron. Don't you keep a running total of your bank balance in your checkbook, like most people with even moderate intelligence do? Is that one check every month the ONLY withdrawal from your checking account. If it is, how do you pay all your other bills. Do you have a debit card?

You're either some kid who knows nothing about how a checking account even works, or someone who's far too stupid to have a checking account in the first place.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2104/27/2011

r21, you sound like the moron here. OP just said that he only writes checks to his landlord.

OP I would also go with a money order also. Waiting a month to cash a check, especially one for $2400, is unreasonable.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2204/27/2011

I understand, OP, and I'm exactly the same way It's an unresolved item in your bank account. You've got the balanced check ledger in front of you, but it doesn't match up with the online bank balance because of the delay in cashing the check, and it's irritating. And then you never know if he actually lost the check this time.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2304/27/2011

My landlord does this too OP. I like it though because I might run a little short before my next paycheck and will have a few weeks to cover the check before it goes through.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2404/27/2011

OP

Do a money order or cashier's check and make sure to make a copy of it.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2504/27/2011

When someone doesn't cash one of my checks, I wonder if it's been lost in the mail. That has happened to me in the past.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2604/27/2011

I use checks only for my rent. And I always pay by a Bank Check. For 3 bucks, it's peace of mind as the funds come out that day

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2704/28/2011

Is there anyone who still wirtes checks? ...not to mention obsesses about them?%0D %0D Welcome to the 21st century!

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2804/28/2011

Unless your landlords are a larger company that can take credit card payments, you're stuck writing a check to them, R28.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 2904/28/2011

my lanlord demands cash and will not give me receipts i gave him a cheque recently and he still hasnt cashed it now iam getting mad i also emailed him wanting all my rent recipts for the las 4 years, iam not getting a reply

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 3002/12/2013

I totally understand the OP. Yes, he keeps track of things. Yes, he knows the money is basically spent ...

But it's so COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ANNOYING when it's just sitting there taunting you!

It took my landlord 50 days once & he insists upon them. He is literally the last person in the world that hasn't partnered with some online payment system. We've figured out that since he owns quite a few buildings and has a pretty prime job himself, he doesn't need the money, so he's in no hurry to cash anything.

Resolution? We created a second bank account just for rent and things that are the same every month (cable/internet), make sure we put the money in there, set up our auto-pays for everything else and we never have to think about it again.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 3102/12/2013

R20 leave charlie alone

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 3202/12/2013

I'm a small landlord and I deposit every rent check (12 of them) on the day or next day that I get them. Too many people fuck up their bookkeeping or try to depend on the float and I want to get mine asap.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 3302/12/2013

How does an undeposited check mess up a budget? On the few occasions I write a check, I consider that money gone.

by cash my fucking check, you hoarder!reply 3402/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.