Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cary Grant ''Enjoyed'' Being Called Gay, Says Daughter

Hers was a Hollywood fairy-tale existence few, if anybody, can live: being the child of arguably the most famous movie star in the world %E2%80%93 and, certainly, the most dapper, elegant and charming. His name was Cary Grant.

"Okay, I had a crush on Dad. Okay, more than a little crush on Dad," Jennifer Grant, 45, writes in her warm memoir, Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant, which Alfred A. Knopf is publishing May 3. "My other real crushes were Donny Osmond and Jean-Paul Belmondo."

But it was Cary Grant who picked up young Jennifer at school, who read to her, taught her life lessons and saved every photo, souvenir and scrap of paper that the two of them shared for the 20 years he was in her life. He died, at 82, in 1986.

Those mementos and Jennifer's memories of them form the crux of her book, which is dedicated to her mother, the actress Dyan Cannon. (Cannon and Grant, who was married five times and divorced four, were wed from 1965 to 1969.)

"Something in me has always felt that my parents came together to make me. Vanity? Perhaps," writes Jennifer. She says that although Grant and Cannon loved each other, both were far too headstrong to remain together, something they both must have known in advance.

While Jennifer concedes that George Clooney possesses a touch of her father's magic, some readers may find her book short on star gossip. Cary retired and disassociated himself from the screen in 1966, age 62, to spend his remaining years with his one and only child. What it is long on are tales of growing up privileged in Beverly Hills, Malibu and other enclaves of the rich and renowned. She also recalls playing board games with Princess Stephanie in Monaco and shares Howard Hughes's advice to her father on how to pack for a trip. (Take only two suits %E2%80%93 one to wear and one to send out to be cleaned, he said.)

Cheap? No. Flirtatious? Yes. Though the book is a model of discretion %E2%80%93 Cary himself was notoriously private about his life, and never wrote his own book %E2%80%93 its author, who is an actress and a mother of a 2-year-old son named Cary Benjamin Grant, does not shy away from the rumors about her dad. Specifically, she addresses rumors that he was cheap and that he was gay.

"In my experience, Dad was neither cheap nor excessive," she writes. "Which, for a wealthy man, is remarkable." Even so, he did deny her expensive designer jeans, because, he'd learned, the denims at the Gap came from the very same manufacturing plant as the signature versions.

As for Cary Grant's sexuality, "Can't blame men for wanting him, and wouldn't be surprised if Dad even mildly flirted back," his daughter writes. "When the question arises, it generally speaks more about the person asking."

Then again, she says, "Dad somewhat enjoyed being called gay. He said it made women want to prove the assertion wrong."

by Anonymousreply 9809/29/2013

Jennifer Grant is 45 now?!

by Anonymousreply 104/27/2011

that's something that ties the two of us together.

by Anonymousreply 204/27/2011

Why don't people know when they're embarrassing themselves?

by Anonymousreply 304/27/2011

Two heterosexual men can share a bed, goddammmit!

by Anonymousreply 404/27/2011

Isnt the real story here that this bitch had a thing for her father?

by Anonymousreply 504/27/2011

She's being ridiculous. He's been outed by many people and there's no question that he was bisexual at the very least. The way she phrases it is homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 604/27/2011

[quote]"Dad somewhat enjoyed being called gay. He said it made women want to prove the assertion wrong."%0D %0D %0D It's the Kevin Spacey explanation. Translated to modern English it means, "I am a big old closeted homo"

by Anonymousreply 704/27/2011

Didn't the late Brendan Gill settle slap this particular bit of homophobia down 14 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 804/27/2011

Who the fuck is she trying to kid?

by Anonymousreply 904/27/2011

I went to Stanford with her.

Really nice woman.

by Anonymousreply 1004/27/2011

Your daddy loved cock, Jennifer. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 1104/27/2011

Particularly when attached to Randy.

by Anonymousreply 1204/27/2011

Cary Grant threatened Chevy Chase with a defamation of character lawsuit for asserting this point he allegedly enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 1304/27/2011

Randolph Scott was hot too!

by Anonymousreply 1404/27/2011

... all of a sudden!

by Anonymousreply 1504/27/2011

"Okay, I had a crush on Dad. Okay, more than a little crush on Dad."

OK, it is one thing for a girl to want to fuck her straight father, but wanting to fuck her gay dad?

That is some twisted, fucked-up shit!

by Anonymousreply 1604/27/2011

Cary and Randolph

by Anonymousreply 1704/27/2011

That is really a lame cover she is trying to put on her father%E2%80%99s sexuality. I posted this on another thread as well as. Here is the illogic BS she spewing. Women all over the world went loony because he was extremely handsome. So why would her father even remotely need a stupid act to get women in bed? The man could have had anyone he wanted. Maybe a plain looking guy or an average looking guy went to that extreme to get a woman to have sex with him, but not someone who had people making offers right and left tossed at him. Also, she said her father-liked people to think he was gay? BULL. He even said himself that he claimed he wasn't gay and got really annoyed being labeled gay. However, we all know the guy was way in the closet. This girl had a major crush on her father that was more than the ordinary crush. That should tell you what her mental frame of mind is like. The girl sounds sick and a liar.%0D %0D %0D Even Susielee on DL said he was gay. I think his daughter is on some major medication.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1805/16/2011

Cary Grant quotes

'Everybody wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.'

'I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or he became me.'

by Anonymousreply 1911/20/2012

He was in his 60s when she was born. She may actually believe he never had gay relationships because she never witnessed any.

by Anonymousreply 2011/20/2012

Cary and Randolph seemed to be more than friends, at least in my eyes...

by Anonymousreply 2111/20/2012

Cary and Randolph in a romantic moment

by Anonymousreply 2211/20/2012

If he enjoyed it so much, why did he sue Chevy Chase for calling him a homo on the Tom Snyder Tomorrow Show?

by Anonymousreply 2311/20/2012

R23 looooooool. Right!

by Anonymousreply 2411/20/2012

Which is your favourite Cary Grant movies?

by Anonymousreply 2511/20/2012

It's lovely to think of those two handsome men together. Cary Grant is probably my favorite male actor of all time. I enjoy any movie he is in.

by Anonymousreply 2611/20/2012

Gimme a break, dear. Who discusses their sex life with their daughter? Clearly he decided being a parent was important, Cannon was either a good companion or convenient or he was bi and attracted to her too. Too much smoke from his early life for there not to be fire and no surprise at all if he was Rock Hudson throwing naked orgy pool parties in his early adult years and daughter born at 50+ never saw it.

by Anonymousreply 2711/20/2012

I wonder if she discusses the course of experiments with LSD that Grant underwent under medical supervision.

by Anonymousreply 2811/20/2012

There's a lot of untapped material here!

by Anonymousreply 2911/20/2012

Meanness again. Why would you be surprised that this woman doesn't believe her father was a homosexual? She likely observed no hint of it herself in the years (62-82) she spent with him, more than any of us did, by the way.

Also, it is not unusual or perverted for girls to have crushes on their fathers.

by Anonymousreply 3011/20/2012

So she voluntarily admits to incest fantasies about her own father but somehow the possibility of Grant being gay or bisexual is absurd and just a projection of people who would have wanted want to fuck him. Am I reading this right?

by Anonymousreply 3111/20/2012

Everyone hates a homo!

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2012

My favourite movie with Cary Grant is 'Suspicion'. He was very intriguing in this film and his co-star was Joan Fontaine , plus they were directed by ALFRED HITCHCOCK.

by Anonymousreply 3311/21/2012

Was also at Stanford with her and had dinner with her and her father. Very nice, unassuming man.

We didn't talk cock or anything but it was a pleasant meal.

Always odd to be with a very famous person outside of Los Angeles where people tend to be pretty blasé about it.

by Anonymousreply 3411/21/2012

R34 you believe that Cary was at least bi?

by Anonymousreply 3511/21/2012

Everyone's forgetting her mother's influence on this. Isn't Cannon a born-again Christian who has made appearances on the 700 Club? So it's not that surprising her daughter tries to cover-up Cary's sexuality, and sounds mildly homophobic doing it.

by Anonymousreply 3611/21/2012

I wonder if Cary was top or bottom in his relationship with Randolph Scott. What do you think of it guys?

by Anonymousreply 3711/22/2012

So? Anybody knows or care to guess? Hehehehe...

by Anonymousreply 3811/22/2012

I'm sure he would have told his daughter all about his downlow activities.

by Anonymousreply 3911/22/2012

Cary and Randolph were very close at a time... Closer it couldn't get!

by Anonymousreply 4011/22/2012

Gays would call him a fake?

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2013

He enjoyed being called gay so much that he sued that asshole Chevy Chase for "calling him gay" on a talk show. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2013

Just watched His Girl Friday on TCM and Grant is fantastic in it and is openly flirting with Ralph Bellamy in a couple of scenes.

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2013

R43...cool

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2013

45 but still very foolish. She must take after her religious freak, mother.

by Anonymousreply 4501/29/2013

Cary Grant with...Tyrone Power!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4702/20/2013

Because a daughter always knows all the details of her father's sex life.

by Anonymousreply 4802/20/2013

He was not gay but he was not straight other. He was certainly bi.

by Anonymousreply 4902/23/2013

With Elvis!

by Anonymousreply 5002/23/2013

Cary Grant and A.C. Blumenthal

by Anonymousreply 5103/01/2013

R51, nice photo!

Cary was such a charmer.

by Anonymousreply 5206/26/2013

Very handsome

by Anonymousreply 5306/26/2013

Nice body too

by Anonymousreply 5406/26/2013

(When a photo seems cache or forbidden, color the address of the link which is at the top of the page and then press the button ENTER. Then the photo will appear.)

Cary with Amelia Earhart

by Anonymousreply 5506/26/2013

Cary Grant, 1930s

by Anonymousreply 5606/26/2013

Sweet and dandy

by Anonymousreply 5706/26/2013

With Loretta Young

by Anonymousreply 5806/26/2013

Cary Grant candid on set VINTAGE Photo

He looks a bit gay here, right?

by Anonymousreply 5906/26/2013

Cary Grant barechested from 'Gunga Din'(1939)

by Anonymousreply 6006/26/2013

He was an absolute hottie in 'Gunga Din'

by Anonymousreply 6106/26/2013

[quote]OK, it is one thing for a girl to want to fuck her straight father, but wanting to fuck her gay dad?

I fucked my gay dad, but not by choice.

by Anonymousreply 6206/26/2013

Baaaaaaaad!

by Anonymousreply 6309/24/2013

Grant began a whirlwind romance with Barbara Hutton, Woolrich heiress, most eligible bachelorette, and, due to her tragic upbringing and marital turmoil, best known as “America’s Poor Little Rich Girl.” Hutton had already plowed through a Prince and a Baron, it was only natural that she’d be paired with the most dashing man on the big screen. Grant signed a detailed pre-nuptial agreement, but the golddigger rumors stuck — OH, I DON’T KNOW WHY, MAYBE BECAUSE HE STARRED IN THAT MOVIE WHERE HE MARRIED THE GIRL FOR MONEY?? — and the two were dubbed “Cash and Cary.”

by Anonymousreply 6409/24/2013

R19, looks like an ass on his chin.

by Anonymousreply 6509/24/2013

I think I'm going to write a book about how all these Hollywood offspring try to re-write the history of their parents' lives.

I'm going to call it, "Bitch, Please!"

by Anonymousreply 6609/24/2013

Girls! Girls! Lets just all sit down and read darling Boze Hadleigh again together.

He is always a deeply trustworthy source....

by Anonymousreply 6709/24/2013

Bath time!

by Anonymousreply 6809/24/2013

Wasn't there a rumor or blind item years ago about a young starlet having herself artificially inseminated and her older lover being so thrilled that her married her? He had no children from any of his previous relationships.

by Anonymousreply 6909/24/2013

We were just gym brahs!

by Anonymousreply 7009/24/2013

Sure Randolph...we got your point.

You were the top or the bottom with Cary? Just curious...

Maybe both?

by Anonymousreply 7109/24/2013

Either he was gay or he was just aloof with women. I don't know even one scandal that has to do with a woman and Cary Grant. I have the impression that all his marriages were well-planned and they were not a product of passionate love or infatuation.

by Anonymousreply 7209/24/2013

[quote]Grant began a whirlwind romance with Barbara Hutton, Woolrich heiress,

Woolrich heiress???????????????

by Anonymousreply 7309/24/2013

Cary Grant, Randolph Scott, Irene Dunne in 'My Favourite Wife'(1940)

by Anonymousreply 7409/24/2013

R73, heiress or not, Cary certainly didn't fell in love with Barbara Hutton.

Not likely!

by Anonymousreply 7509/24/2013

The bi-est bi that ever bi-ed

by Anonymousreply 7609/24/2013

Barbara Hutton, the girl from Woolworth's, probably had a lot of inner beauty.

As I understand it, Cary Grant really DID enjoy being called gay, but only by Randolph Scott, as he was pounding his butt when the two were roomies. Then how they'd laugh that anyone could think that they were homosexualists!

by Anonymousreply 7809/24/2013

Lol, i adore your style R78!

by Anonymousreply 7909/24/2013

I wonder if Cary and Randolph were friends until the end

by Anonymousreply 8009/24/2013

Whose end, R80?

by Anonymousreply 8109/24/2013

As a gay man who hates being thought of as gay because I hate homosexuals and I blame homosexuals for the reason I am single and remain so forever, (because I'm a victim), I say, he has balls.

by Anonymousreply 8209/24/2013

Did he have an affair with Tyrone Power, or am I making that up?

by Anonymousreply 8309/24/2013

R68 I've wondered why Boze H doesn't seem to have much credibility here. Can you tell me why? I do know one individual he interviewed and the chapter published later was spot on. I recall the subject's only misgiving about the interview was a sense that the career was long over - that one felt a bit saddened and irrelevant after the interview.

by Anonymousreply 8409/24/2013

[quote]I've wondered why Boze H doesn't seem to have much credibility here.

Just here? Read his Amazon reviews. Wasn't one of his quotes from Noel Coward about the Brief Encounter remake, except by that time Coward was dead?

by Anonymousreply 8509/25/2013

Dyan Cannon: I Tried to Make Cary Happy

by Anonymousreply 8609/25/2013

Cary was an LSD lover. No kidding. I'm reading Dyan Cannon's 'Dear Cary: My Life with Cary Grant' at the moment.

It's very interesting so far!

In this book Cannon says that Cary could eat big proportions of food without getting fat. He loved food and he could get away with it. That was because of his metabolism, Cannon deduces, because Cary didn't exercise as well. He just swam for 15 minutes twice a month!

He was taking LSD because for him it was a big experience, it was as if finding God, all suddenly expand out of nothing and there is a joyous harmony.

By the way, he was very persistent with Cannon. Cannon tried to avoid him at the beginning many times by turning down all his proposals for dinner(she was using excuses all the time!) but Cary was very patient and persistent. He was talking with her on the phone every day same hour! The funny thing is that the time Cary was trying to get Cannon closer to him, he was also making the movie 'Touch of Mink'! If you have seen the movie, well, you can find the connection.

Did you knew that Cary took once Cannon to the set of Touch of Mink? Well, yes he did! She watched a scene that Cary was filming with Doris. The same day Cary introduced Doris to Dyan Cannon. It was all very exciting to her.

by Anonymousreply 8709/27/2013

If you want to know anything about a man's sex life ask his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 8809/27/2013

I love my dead gay dad!

by Anonymousreply 8909/27/2013

It's interesting that so many gays in Hollywood were forced in the closet and ended up knocking off their beards. Tony Perkins didn't stop having sex with men though. I'm sure Jake and Hugh are in the same boat.

by Anonymousreply 9009/27/2013

I know Cannon was attractive but what did he love about her?

Any Hollywood religious fanatic is unstable...don't we all know this? Why did he want to be involved with the nut case?

by Anonymousreply 9109/27/2013

"I've wondered why Boze H doesn't seem to have much credibility here.

Just here? Read his Amazon reviews"

R85 OK I've read the Amazon reviews of Hadleigh's work but there's no real substance there, just bitchiness. I'm no defender of BH and the only reason I know of him is because he interviewed a friend. (I'm European) And yes the interview was taped. A lot of people complain that the interviews were published after the subjects' deaths, but this was the agreement at the time my friend was interviewed.

Just wondering. ... seems it would be a shame for gays to not appreciate my friend's interview as an authentic one. No idea if others have been falsified.

by Anonymousreply 9209/27/2013

This link offers more info.

by Anonymousreply 9309/29/2013

Fuckin' elder gay, no one cares about some has been who was in a movie a hundred years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9409/29/2013

R93 nothing there - basically just debate about BH's age???

Just trying to understand the issue.

Oh, and R94 go fuck yourself ed vai mona, pussy hound.

by Anonymousreply 9509/29/2013

He enjoyed "being" gay as well.

by Anonymousreply 9609/29/2013

R94.

Rail on,rail on but KNOW that your generation will fail to produce ONE "star" that anybody will give a shit about 50 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 9709/29/2013

Note the sweater.

Randolph Scott is wearing the exact same V-neck,cable knit sweater in the series of "domestic bliss" photos taken at their shared beach home.

How many straight roommates do YOU know who wear each others' clothes?

by Anonymousreply 9809/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.