Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fellini

Do you have a favorite Fellini film? My sentimental favorite is "Juliet of the Spirits"--I love Giulietta Masina's performance in it, and the creepy visions of the ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013

"La Dolce Vita." All the others have just too many awful Italians in them.

by Anonymousreply 104/26/2011

This is the new Datalounge, OP. These dimwits don't know or care about Fellini. Ask something about the Kardashians if you want to have a conversation.

by Anonymousreply 204/26/2011

OP, you and I have something in common! I thought I was the only one who preferred JULIET over the others, yet here we both are. My other favorite Fellini films besides JULIET are SATYRICON and TOBY DAMMIT.

JULIET was Fellini's first film in Technicolor and he also was experimenting with LSD at the time which only heightens his usual surrealistic flourishes.

I think the tree-house scenes are my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 304/26/2011

I love many of his movies, especially his earlier ones. Towards the end, I think everyone agrees he was pretty much on autopilot.

My favorite is "La Strada" with his gorgeous wife Giullietta Masina. The moment when the kids sneak her up to entertain the mentally retarded kid is priceless.

I also like "Amarcord". For some reason I tend to cry at the end although it's not a particularly sad movie. I think it's just a very sweet movie.

by Anonymousreply 404/26/2011

Fellini Satyricon%0D %0D %0D I knew I was a big ol 'mo when I saw this as a wee baby queer. I didn't understand it all, but I knew I wanted Encolpio in the most sinful, nasty way.%0D %0D Wasn't too crazy about the woman with 2 dozen nips, though.

by Anonymousreply 504/26/2011

I adore AMACORD.

And while all the Rota soundtracks for Fellini are lovely, AMACORD'S is transcendent.

by Anonymousreply 604/26/2011

Definitely La Strada. B ut I've liked everything of his I've seen... except Satyricon, which gave me a monstrous headache.

by Anonymousreply 704/26/2011

Not my favorite but his clown documentary is quite good.

by Anonymousreply 804/26/2011

I love Juliet as well and sought it out after I learned that Woody Allen's Alice (another fav of mine) was inspired by that film.%0D %0D I went to a lot of trouble to get the wacky soundtrack for it on ebay as well.%0D %0D I also love La Strada.

by Anonymousreply 904/26/2011

Nights Of Cabiria. Giulietta Massina's performance in it is magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 1004/26/2011

Amarcord.

by Anonymousreply 1104/26/2011

I'm one who always loved 8 1/2, but NIGHTS OF CABIRIA and AMARCORD are also wonderful.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2011

A tie between 'Amarcord' and 'Ginger and Fred' --the second about the only good film he did late in life; the first just a beautiful film on every level. Regardless, I would listen to Nino Rota's scores for all his films for days and days when I was nostalgic for the past.The images in Fellini films stay with you for years but the music forever.

by Anonymousreply 1304/26/2011

Funny you mention that, R13, because GINGER & FRED was just on TCM or IFC this weekend in widescreen. It is a wonderful film. Of his later films, THE SHIP SAILS ON is a lot of fun, too.

by Anonymousreply 1404/26/2011

I can't even THINK about the last ten minutes of Nights of Cabiria without my eyes welling with tears. Cabiria's total acceptance of the fact that life goes on no matter what..

by Anonymousreply 1504/26/2011

Roma. The sequence in the subway when they uncover the ancient murals.

by Anonymousreply 1604/26/2011

r2 Actually, some of us prefer Antonioni.

by Anonymousreply 1704/26/2011

Another vote for La Strada, although I'm a big Fellini fan. My sentimental favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1804/26/2011

Did he direct that show, Felicity?

by Anonymousreply 1904/26/2011

r14 -- "Ship Sails On" is fun but isn't that the one with laughable special effects? r16 -- "Roma" - yes! Incredible images

by Anonymousreply 2004/26/2011

For a long time my favorite film was "La Dolce Vita". Now I find some of it tedious, but I still love it. I'd say that "La Strada" and "Nights of Cabiria" are my favorites, they're both heartbreaking and beautiful. "Amarcord" is goofy and funny, even with it's serious back-story of fascism. These are not just my favorite's by Fellini, but amongst my favorite films, period.

I once saw "Il Maestro" at LAX. Fellini had come to town to accept his honorary Oscar. Celebrity sightings at LAX are so common, most of the time it's hardly worth the trouble of a second look. This was before the explosive growth of the paparazzi scene. (Irony noted) What drew my attention at first was the commotion, the huge crowd following someone through the terminal, with camera flashes and the bright lights of video cameras. Then I noticed the signature black hat and black cape, and I knew at once who it was. I couldn't believe how lucky I was being so close to Federico Fellini. Of course other people at the airport were asking "Who is it?" "Who's that?" And when I answered "It's Federico Fellini" every one of them said "Who?" Hopefully they learned something if they watched the Oscars a few nights later.

by Anonymousreply 2104/26/2011

Fellini with Marcello Mastroianni...

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.