Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does anyone else find Tina Fey extremely UNFUNNY?

What's her appeal?

by Anonymousreply 31011/06/2015

sorry, like her alot, Her Sarah Palin is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2011

I like her very much but I guess I'm not smart enough to enjoy "30 Rock". I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2011

I always enjoyed her on SNL. Don't care for 30 Rock as much - they need to dump T. Morgan. They should have gone with Maya Rudolph.

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2011

OP = Trig Palin

by Anonymousreply 604/19/2011

She's mildly amusing. She's no Wanda Sykes. Or Jennifer Saunders. Or Kathy Griffin. %0D %0D She's just too smug to be truly funny.

by Anonymousreply 704/19/2011

r4 = Rachel Dratch

by Anonymousreply 804/19/2011

she's brilliant

by Anonymousreply 904/19/2011

Fuck her

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2011

there's not much to get. it's humor for 60-hour-a-week lawyers with tivo.

by Anonymousreply 1104/19/2011

I can't stand her. She is so smug like the southern comic Ron White. I can't stomach either of them.

by Anonymousreply 1204/19/2011

Lisa Lampanelli is way funnier.

by Anonymousreply 1304/19/2011

The housewife character sliver of Julia Louis Dreyfus redux

by Anonymousreply 1504/19/2011

I agree with [R7]. And I don't like her show. Her "Mean Girls" was about the height of her mild amusingness.

by Anonymousreply 1604/19/2011

Just out of curiosity, for those of you that don't like 30 Rock, what comedies do you enjoy?

by Anonymousreply 1704/19/2011

I'm sorry you can't praise Jennifer Saunders to the heavens and then decry Tina Fey, of all people, for being smug. I have laughed out loud at least once on every other page of Tina's book.

by Anonymousreply 1904/19/2011

Is that you, Gwyneth?

by Anonymousreply 2004/19/2011

Tina makes fun of people doing stupid things that most people wouldn't get as being stupid, because they are ummm stupid. So she puts it in your face. She also makes Baldwin look more awesome by upping his persona.

by Anonymousreply 2104/19/2011

by Anonymousreply 2204/19/2011

Fey is not nearly as hot as Palin.

by Anonymousreply 2304/19/2011

[quote]What's her appeal?

Beats me.

by Anonymousreply 2404/19/2011

She would agree. She even said it in her book. The night they both appeared on SNL, she really didn't want to stand next to her.

by Anonymousreply 2504/19/2011

[quote]what comedies do you enjoy?%0D %0D I don't dislike 30 Rock but it's not great. %0D %0D I don't enjoy many that are on TV today. Instead, I look at DVD sets of old comedies that are used and sold on Amazon -- shows I didn't see on the first time around. I buy a whole season of various shows. The writing and acting on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" is fantastic. The scripts and delivery on "Golden Girls" is better than anything today - not only the actions --- but the amazing reactions of the ladies - priceless expressions on their faces. I bought a Britcom series "Bless Me Father." It's probably 25 years old but it's hysterical. I watch one episode of each every week as if that's what's on TV in place of the horrendous reality shows on real TV.%0D %0D In a way, I'm lucky to not have seen all those old shows the first time around because I can watch DVD TV and see well-written shows for the first time. Someone gave me a season of Burns and Allen. At first it was strange to see the black and white, but soon you just get lost in the great comedy by some wonderful old-time pros. %0D %0D The Best of Merv Griffin is a fantastic collection of some of his best shows -- tons of people we've only read about - Totie Fields was a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 2604/19/2011

I don't get her either. I did hate watching Craig Ferguson fawning over her last night and using the interview as an audition for 30 Rock.

by Anonymousreply 2704/19/2011

[quote]Parks & Rec isn't bad ... that's about it.

Omfg, R4/R18, please tell me you're joking!

You think 30 Rock sucks ass but Parks & Rec is good? WTF!!!

by Anonymousreply 2804/20/2011

I love her and think she's hilarious. I love 30 Rock.%0D %0D OP, it's just you.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2904/20/2011

I always liked Amy Pohler so I wanted to like "Parks and Recreation." I kept thinking that it may get better. It didn't. The writing was bad. The cast wasn't great. It could have been so much more.%0D %0D I had imagined it to be a statewide office, giving the opportunity for a wider variety of situations instead of in one town. %0D %0D Slightly off topic, at one time the person in charge of parks and natural resources for the state of California was Helen Reddy. Yes, the "I Am Woman" woman.

by Anonymousreply 3204/20/2011

After Lately on E! is funnier than 30 rock and Park & Rec. Thats saying a lot.

by Anonymousreply 3304/20/2011

r4? Are you one of those Muppet guys in the balcony? I enjoyed your irreverence.

by Anonymousreply 3404/20/2011

R4, there is a very popular male comedian who goes by the name Tater Salad. With that in mind, I find it difficult to believe Tina Fey wouldn't be successful if she were a man.

by Anonymousreply 3504/20/2011

It would be an insult to my tater salad to use anything but Duke's mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 3704/20/2011

Wrong, r4. She's fucking hilarious and her jokes are funny because they're funny.

I love her and would fuck her. I think she's hot.

by Anonymousreply 3804/20/2011

She uses rather obvious humour, doesn't she? 30 Rock is okay. She's certainly not a comedic genius. I find she always takes it a step too far. The scene will be set up, the climax will come and then someone always has to come in and explain why it was funny. The scenarios are rather cliched too.

by Anonymousreply 3904/20/2011

Fuck Dukes. Kraft mayo is the best.

by Anonymousreply 4004/20/2011

I do think she's pretty in an above average, but not gorgeous way. Otherwise I agree with r4.

She really only blew up after she lost weight and started appearing in magazines emphasizing her looks in a major way. (Having seen early career pics, I'd argue she didn't get the SNL gig until she had a total feminine makeover.)

The VF cover is a case in point. Palin helped, but again both of them depend on their looks to differing degrees.

It's also easier to create a show like 30 Rock that is based on inside baseball about other comedians and performers.

by Anonymousreply 4104/20/2011

OP, I don't totally disagree with you, but at the end of the day I like her.%0D %0D She did this country a national service by pointing out just how dumb Palin is.%0D %0D Plus, she talks to people -- not at them.%0D %0D I like her.%0D %0D It's not always my sense of humor, but I like her.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4204/20/2011

I like Tina Fey and think that she and 30 Rock are very funny indeed.

by Anonymousreply 4304/20/2011

R30 = Sarah Palin

by Anonymousreply 4404/20/2011

I agree with you OP. I always get the sense that she wants a pat on the back for working so hard. She wants to be employee of the month. And for whatever reason, this annoys the shit out of me. Comedy is hard work. All good comics and comedy writers bust their asses. But some of them have the decency to act like it comes naturally.

by Anonymousreply 4504/20/2011

I like her but don't think she's much of an actress outside of the Palin impersonation. And I thought SNL was pretty bad during her years on it, but it's so much worse now. 30 Rock usually cracks me up, but last week's ep left me cold.

by Anonymousreply 4604/20/2011

I want to love Tina Fey, but she isn't a great comedienne. Perhaps a little 'too nice'. She just doesn't make me laugh. She is a good writer, 30 Rock is funny (but it's Baldwin that makes me chuckle, not Fey).

by Anonymousreply 4704/20/2011

Congratulations, OP!

You've just discovered what many of us have known for years...anything connected to SNL is just not funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 4804/20/2011

I love Tina Fey and 30 Rock. The jokes come so fast and some are so subtle you may miss a lot of them. There is at least one laugh out loud moment on each show. Jenna is the best character on the show.

I love Tina's completely random humor as well. "I need to go home and fart in a shoe box." or Alec Baldwin's character "That couldn't have been me, I only fart once a year for an hour on top of a mountain in Switzerland." I guess I love bathroom humor.

by Anonymousreply 4904/20/2011

For all of you Tina haters, don't fret, Comcast, the new owner of NBC is working on your behalf. We will be cancelling "30 Rock" and replacing her with a hour long program hosted by my octegenarian mother, Suzanne, who will share her infinite wisdom and joy for life with everyday Americans. You will love it.

by Anonymousreply 5104/20/2011

r17 Modern Family, American Dad, and yes many older comedies like I Love Lucy (still my favorite), the Dick Van Dyke Show, Golden Girls, Designing Women, etc.

Tina Fey is not nearly as funny as she or her lapdogs think she is. Massive ego definitely.

I'm also sick to death of her whining about how hard it is for her to be a woman/mom/comedian, as well as her completely ridiculous defense of GOOP. ("People just hate her because she's a working mom!" Give me a goddamn break.)

by Anonymousreply 5204/20/2011

The haters in this thread are taking Tiny Fey way more seriously than she takes herself.

by Anonymousreply 5304/20/2011

I love how she called Paris Hilton a piece of shit on Howard Stern's show.

by Anonymousreply 5404/20/2011

I am surprised R26 didn't say he doesn't own a television.

by Anonymousreply 5604/20/2011

Mean Girls was a smart movie.

But, other than that, I'm not impressed with Fey.

by Anonymousreply 5704/21/2011

Tina Fey is a Republican. She supported Guiliani's run for president because he made her "feel safe" from the threads of terrorism and crime.

by Anonymousreply 5804/21/2011

Tina Fey saved this country from having President Palin. John McCain was showing serious signs of dementia during the last part of the campaign. (Remember how he began wandering around the stage during the debates.) He would never have made it through the rigors of the Oval Office. Just as we're now learning of Ronald Reagan's Alzheimers problems while he was President, twenty years from now, somebody is going to spill the beans on how the country was saved from the McCain Alzheimers disaster. %0D %0D Tina Fey showed the nation what a jackass Palin is. We owe her a lot for that -- but I still don't think 30 Rock is great.

by Anonymousreply 5904/21/2011

Yeah, well, Giuliani was kick ass on crime.

I can't argue with her there.

Did you think Dinkins did better, r58? FUCKING PLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 6004/21/2011

[quote]I find she always takes it a step too far.

This is a crazy criticism coming from DataLounge

by Anonymousreply 6104/21/2011

Interesting little tidbit from her NPR interview- she studied acting in college. Never had heard this, her personal history always seems to start with a stint at Second City and writing for SNL.

This is interesting because when she wins acting awards she inevitably says "hey, i'm not an actor, i'm a writer. Just a writer who gets to act." Bitch, you don't study acting because you DON'T want to be known as an actor. She plays coy and I would respect her more if she just came out and said "yes, i think i'm beautiful enough to be on the cover of Vogue and Vanity Fair and yes writing was just a way to make money until I could get the attention and gratification being a big star gets me".

by Anonymousreply 6204/21/2011

Tina Fey was told on numerous occassions (and has stated so in interviews) that she was not pretty enough to be in front of the cameras as an actor - for many reasons: weight, the scar, and just general bookish, greek, girl next door looks. She was told to focus on being a writer and that's what she did. It wasn't until she was head writer on SNL that she decided to lose weight (30 lbs) and go the job doing weekend update, which really isn't acting, more like a writer performing her own material. NBC saw that viewers responded to this and gave her more opportunities to do just that. And that's just what she did. Note that she's never played a role other than what she basically is (every role), or that wasn't comedy she wrote (SNL, Mean Girls, Baby Mama, 30 Rock) or was allowed to heavily improvise (Date Night.)

by Anonymousreply 6304/23/2011

"John McCain... would never have made it through the rigors of the Oval Office."%0D %0D That was the plan, asswipe.

by Anonymousreply 6404/23/2011

I liked that birth control pill parody ad she did on SNL. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 6504/23/2011

Mom jeans was great.

by Anonymousreply 6604/23/2011

There are many people with undergraduate degrees that do not lead them into that specific field. She ended up thriving in the collaborative environment of improv. She became a writer on SNL and after a few years, because Lorne "likes to promote from within" according to Fey's book, he gave her a chance to audition for the news with Jimmy Fallon.

I majored in one thing but have spent my adult working life doing something else entirely. It doesn't mean I have forgotten what I learned in school, or that if I went back to it and had some success with it I would be some kind of stark raving hypocrite. I would also find myself playing down that accomplishment because there are plenty of "real" practitioners of that craft who do it their whole lives.

You people who don't like Tina Fey have every right not to. But I think some of the reasons a few of you are posting in here are kinda trumped up.

All I know is, when I saw her host a Just for Laughs gala in Montreal, she cracked me up. And the book makes me laugh out loud on almost every page. That's pretty much what I ask for from a humorist.

by Anonymousreply 6704/26/2011

I used to love 30 Rock, but this past season has been a bust. With the exception of one-note Tracy Morgan, the actors are still great. But the many of the scripts this season have been badly overwritten. Maybe Tina is spreading herself too thin and has lost control of the show?

by Anonymousreply 6804/26/2011

tina fey is the dane cook of women comedians plus she is no were near as hot as sarah palin face it palin is dumb as a rock but she's hot

by Anonymousreply 6904/27/2011

I think I like Tina Fey much better than I do R4. At least Tina Fey is funny.

by Anonymousreply 7004/27/2011

I love her and love 30 Rock. The cast is wonderful and often the writing is extremely sharp and on the mark. Some episodes are better than others, but there is never an episode where I don't laugh out loud at least a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 7104/27/2011

I don't like her at all, and I am not exactly sure all of the reasons why. She seems chilly and terribly sure of herself. I have never found her funny the way I find so many other women funny. She seems smug and limited and not especially kind, but these are mostly hunches based on not enough. Thirty Rock seemed too cyncial, and the one time I watched it (I didn't like it nearly enough to go back), the theme verged on cruel.

by Anonymousreply 7207/27/2011

That old bitch ain't NOTHING without ME!

by Anonymousreply 7407/27/2011

Tina is ok but I don't get why 30 Rock is still on because no one watches it.

by Anonymousreply 7507/27/2011

by Anonymousreply 7610/22/2011

I have found 30 Rock to be hilarious as hell for the past several years. Liz Lemon is funny and sometimes DOUBLE OVER funny ("Ain't no party like a Liz Lemon party!") The writing is fast and furious and insane. Tina has allowed Alec Baldwin and Jane Krakowski to develop the funniest characters of their careers, respectively. Tracy Morgan (with all his controversy) has been, traditionally, funny as hell, too. All of this IS if you can lean into the show and just enjoy it as a COMEDY, rather than getting all caught up in Miss Fey's ego or personal beliefs or overexposure or whatever the hell.

I mean, she is who she is. You either like her or you don't. But she sure seems to be a flashpoint for some of you people. WTF?

I am NO shill for the show and have no dog in this fight but why is she such a point of contention? She is a good writer, an excellent comedienne (playing, essentially, a version of herself) and that's that.

by Anonymousreply 7710/22/2011

I agree with you, r77.

by Anonymousreply 7810/22/2011

Yes, OP. She is EXTREMELY unfunny. PS: I hate Sarah Palin. I have to mention that because the fact that she is making fun of Sarah Palin seems to be the only reason that people pretend that she's funny. She was abysmal on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 7910/22/2011

I think she is a terrible actress, if I can even call her that. I liked her when she was doing Weekend Update on SNL, but otherwise she doesn't make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 8010/22/2011

I'm with you, R82. Love Tina.

by Anonymousreply 8310/22/2011

I love Tina, but I hated her on weekend update. At least at the beginning.[italic]That's[/italic} when I found her to be insufferably smug. She toned that way down a season or two later.

For the most part, I really enjoy 30 Rock, but I can't bear the Kenneth character. I mean, the degree of my loathing for this actor actually ruins the show for me a bit.

by Anonymousreply 8410/22/2011

Maybe she's like some weird comic book character who's facial scarring altered her personality and made her incredibly smug.

by Anonymousreply 8510/22/2011

by Anonymousreply 8610/22/2011

I love Tina! Any time I get any nasty feelings towards her, I realize I'm really just jealous.

by Anonymousreply 8710/22/2011

"30 Rock" is lame and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 8810/22/2011

Oh but R88, it has an ensemble cast! And Alec Baldwin! And it's about the work environment!

by Anonymousreply 8910/22/2011

Tina should hope that Tracy Morgan doesn't leave or quit 30 Rock because his overacting makes her look like any of the British theatre dames.

by Anonymousreply 9010/22/2011

Anyone who thinks 30 Rock isn't funny has no appreciable sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 9110/22/2011

It's not that it's not funny. It's just not as funny as its rabid fans claim it is.

by Anonymousreply 9210/22/2011

This 'entertain them so they don't eat you' dance is much funnier than 30 Rock:

by Anonymousreply 9310/22/2011

So r26, you're and old guy who can't allow himself to like anything current. Nothing you listed was that great. Golden girls? How stereotypical of you.

Here are some suggestions for you to broaden your palette: Extras, 30 rock, the office (uk version), curb your enthusiasm, twin peaks, asip,

by Anonymousreply 9410/22/2011

30 Rock is okay. Arrested Development was much funnier.

by Anonymousreply 9510/23/2011

I find her very funny and a great American humorist.

by Anonymousreply 9610/23/2011

by Anonymousreply 9710/23/2011

I don't find her funny at all. She is more like annoying.

by Anonymousreply 9805/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 9907/20/2012

"30 Rock" is too sophisticated for some of the eldergays around here who think sitcoms peaked in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 10007/20/2012

1) SNL was so much better when she was head writer. She peaked for me when hosting Weekend Update.

2) 30 Rock isn't a stretch for her - she's writing herself and her SNL experience, more or less.

3) Therefore, what she does next will be indicative of her real talent. If it is a totally original concept that succeeds then I'd say she is a true talent.

4) I don't like her in movies. She doesn't have the charisma to pull it off.

5) Mean Girls is overrated. Rachel McAdams' performance is incredible, but otherwise it doesn't hold up.

by Anonymousreply 10107/20/2012

I can not watch her. I never thought she was funny, and there is something kinda mean about her.

by Anonymousreply 10209/02/2012

I think she's great, very sharp and funny. It's fine not to like her, but some of the dislike for her seems based on strange reasons.

by Anonymousreply 10309/02/2012

the penile unit that says "I think her Sarah Palin is brilliant" needs to be flogged.

Better yet, drawn and quartered.

Better yet, I'll pay $1,000 for his address

by Anonymousreply 10410/24/2012

I agree with what people said on a recent Norm MacDonald thread: Tina and Jimmy Fallon(and Amy Phoeler) were all atrocious on Weekend Update, sitting around smugly like a bunch of dumb teenagers so proud of their completely unfunny jokes/delivery. Embarrassing and very unprofessional. Even worse than Colin Quinn.

They all had the air of the kid at school who was unfunny but the dumb people thought they were funny simply because they were popular and arrogant, so they had a contingent of dumb fans.

by Anonymousreply 10510/24/2012

She's a much better writer than performer, but she can pull off most material passably well.

by Anonymousreply 10610/24/2012

[quote]Therefore, what she does next will be indicative of her real talent. If it is a totally original concept that succeeds then I'd say she is a true talent.

What the fuck is this bullshit? She's already achieved 100 times more success and acclaim than 99 percent of people in the business. There's clearly some "true talent" there.

by Anonymousreply 10710/24/2012

I don't think she is funny and she is just so smug. blech.

by Anonymousreply 10810/24/2012

Yep, smug is the best word to describe her. You can still see that she's the unfunny nerd who is trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 10910/24/2012

R109 didn't go to college.

by Anonymousreply 11010/24/2012

Yes R110, please tell us how her dead obvious and conventional humor, with it's boring, coercive irony(oh it's funny, she's kidding!), is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 11110/24/2012

Excellent comedy writer. Flawless as Sarah Palin. Weekend Update was great when she was doing it.

by Anonymousreply 11210/24/2012

The Sarah Palin impression was funny as all hell! Otherwise I'd have to agree that she's hit a slack time, 30 Rock has become a boring piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 11310/24/2012

Some people can never be funny because of their personality. She is one of these people. She isn't funny. This actually applies to most comedians.

by Anonymousreply 11410/24/2012

Tina Fey IS extremely unfunny. Her material is never hilarious and the supposed intelligence comes off as pretentious. Also, that bit about her being a beauty is overblown. She's not beautiful- she's just the best-looking (in her age bracket) of the comedy world.

by Anonymousreply 11511/19/2012

I find her totally unfunny. Boring, square and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 11611/19/2012

Wow, unfunny is in ALL CAPS! To quote Mary Richards: Methinks thou doth protest too much. You LOVE her!

by Anonymousreply 11711/19/2012

I know someone who thinks Tina Fey is brilliant -- TINA FEY.

by Anonymousreply 11811/19/2012

[quote]Also, that bit about her being a beauty is overblown. She's not beautiful- she's just the best-looking (in her age bracket) of the comedy world.

She was never supposed to be more than OK-looking, and she knows it. It takes a lot of work to make her look good, but her appeal is not about her looks.

by Anonymousreply 11911/19/2012

[R105] No one, I mean no one was worse than Colin Quinn. Second worst was probably Kevin Nealon on Weeekend Update.

But they all sucked following the wonderfully mean-spirited Norm MacDonald.

by Anonymousreply 12011/19/2012

R115 is threatened by people who went to college.

by Anonymousreply 12111/19/2012

I think she is a terrible actress and, agree, she is not funny. Her Weekend Update with Jimmy Fallon sucked.

by Anonymousreply 12211/19/2012

She's funnier than most male comedians.

by Anonymousreply 12311/19/2012

She's never been marketed as a beauty. I think she's attractive, but she's as self-deprecating about her looks as one can be.

by Anonymousreply 12411/19/2012

[quote]she's as self-deprecating about her looks as one can be.

Which is 100 percent obvious to anyone who has actually watched 30 Rock.

by Anonymousreply 12511/19/2012

She's gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 12611/20/2012

I don't think Tina is hilarious, but I think she's an excellent comedy writer. I couldn't see her doing standup, but I love 30 Rock, and even some of her improv stuff is great.

I love this clip from her fat days with Rachel Dratch at Second City.

by Anonymousreply 12711/20/2012

I think she and 30rock are the BEST!!! I can see why some of you don't get the humor though. The show is funny because the jokes are just so weird and because all of the actors on the show have excellent comic timing. It has a certain rhythm kind of like music but, some people just don't get certain kinds of music. Get it?

by Anonymousreply 12801/05/2013

The black lady on Night Court was one of the best female comics ever. I have forgotten her name and think she is deceased *sniff*.

by Anonymousreply 12901/05/2013

She's fantastic. I've found that people who "hate" her are usually misogynists or have a very simple/lowest common denominator sense of humor or both.

by Anonymousreply 13001/05/2013

Other than "Mean Girls," I've been trying to figure out why she is so revered and nominated for a fucking Emmy every year. It's ridiculous. She's "stolen" nominations from Marcia Cross and Eva Longoria for the past 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 13101/05/2013

I think Tina looked good even when she was chunky.

by Anonymousreply 13201/05/2013

bwahahahahaa EVA LONGORIA??????? How now braun frau?

by Anonymousreply 13301/05/2013

Longoria can't do dramatic acting very well but she's a very good comedic actress.

by Anonymousreply 13401/05/2013

eva longoria makes you laugh?????

by Anonymousreply 13501/05/2013

Her looks are overblown. I think i read a story that some random guy walked up to her and slashed her face as a child while on her front lawn. Seems unlikely. Anyone know the true story of her scar?

by Anonymousreply 13601/05/2013

Eh, she's alright. Far funnier women out there, but she's occasionally amusing.

by Anonymousreply 13701/05/2013

You're not alone OP. I thought she was funny in the Sarah Palin skits on SNL, but that was it.

by Anonymousreply 13801/05/2013

I've always loved Tina Fey on Night Court but never cared for 30 Rock. I've seen it only a few times and found it awkwardly unfunny.

I'm a fan of Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones but was never able to catch Parks and Rec because the timing wasn't right. I plan to watch it eventually on Netflix.

R129 - Roz on Night Court was played by Marsha Warfield. IMDB indicates that she's still alive. (link below).

by Anonymousreply 13901/06/2013

"Parks and Rec" is awesome, R139. I can't recommend it enough - it's truly hilarious. My favorite part of the show, though, is the very developed friendship between Poehler's and Jones's characters. I've never seen a female friendship that strongly limned on the small screen.

I'm not really sold on Tina Fey. She seems like a nice person, but she doesn't make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 14001/06/2013

She should service the real Sarah Palin for keeping her untalented career alive. Good for her bad for us. I actually stopped watching SNL because of her. Anyone else think that SNL alumni are ruining comedy on every front? Every sitcom you see, they're they are. Wanna save $100 a month? Get rid of your TV and read a book.

by Anonymousreply 14101/12/2013

[quote]I'm a fan of Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones...

Not trying to derail the thread, but I am not a fan of Rashida Jones. Just like Malin Ackerman, she is very pretty, but not funny! I do not understand their success at all.

by Anonymousreply 14201/12/2013

She sucks. Anyone that likes her has no sense of humor. Watch SCTV or Madeline Kahn or Amy Sedaris. or anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 14301/27/2013

I think of Rashida as the straight man (or woman). Most of her roles she's reacting to the craziness around her.

by Anonymousreply 14401/27/2013

I think she's a terrific sketch performer and a dreadful actress, who plays comedy as if she knows she's the life of the party.

by Anonymousreply 14501/27/2013

I hate that bitch

by Anonymousreply 14602/01/2013

Tina looked hot at the Golden Globes and the Oscars. She cleans up nice and is much more attractive than some people are willing to give her credit for.

by Anonymousreply 14803/03/2013

i went to school with her since kindergarten all the way through high school.She was in almost all my classes. Smart and sarcastic, but not funny. Sorry Tina.

by Anonymousreply 14903/07/2013

I find her self-deprecating humor as Liz Lemon phony. It's supposed to make her likable and nonthreatening, but it's a crock--putting glasses on a beautiful woman doesn't make her a nerd. And I saw her in Second City with Rachel Dratch back in the day, and while she wasn't drop dead gorgeous, she was clearly a pretty girl.

by Anonymousreply 15003/07/2013

I respect her and find her decently funny. I find Amy Poehler far funnier, however.

by Anonymousreply 15103/07/2013

She's great a lot of the time. Though, sometimes she misses, as do most comedians. Loved 30 Rock for the most part. Thought Mean Girls was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15203/07/2013

I find her extremely funny. In fact, brilliantly funny. Who do you find funny, OP?

by Anonymousreply 15303/07/2013

I think she's only mildly amusing though i loved her Sarah Palin at the time. Her shrill brand of humour is not for me. I have the same problem with Colbert. For political satire Jon Stewart is far more hilarious.

She is obviously talented though and generally very admirable.

by Anonymousreply 15503/07/2013

r50 - standing next to Rachel Dratch, the elephant man would look pretty.

by Anonymousreply 15603/07/2013

[r157]: you mean as opposed to the multitudes of "genius" unfunny male comedians, perpetrated, of course, because they have a penis?

by Anonymousreply 15803/07/2013

She is really funny. Amy Poehler, too.

I think this thread is full of people too stupid to get her jokes or Republicans still angry over the Sarah Palin bit. Get mad at Bill Kristol who told McCain to chose her. But they don't know who Kristol is...

by Anonymousreply 16003/07/2013

I love 30 Rock. Her book, however, has an obvious tell. She mentions that her self esteem is good enough, that she wasn't "damaged." Yet, in reality, she just drips with insecurity. Whether that insecurity is related to her childhood attack isn't clear. But for her to try and distance herself from damaged people would be laughable were it not just so sad.

by Anonymousreply 16103/07/2013

I just find her kind of annoying. Maybe like some people find Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 16303/07/2013

I find her very funny.

You don't.

by Anonymousreply 16403/07/2013

The only people who find her funny are the lesbians

by Anonymousreply 16503/07/2013

If it weren't for the Sarah Palin schtick, I wouldn't know who Tina Fey is. I'm just not into comedy. Or Republicans, for that matter. It was just hard to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 16603/07/2013

"Female comedians in general aren't really funny."

Amazing. 2013. Just goes to show that while women are evolving, men are devolving.

by Anonymousreply 16703/08/2013

r159, Margaret Cho, Madeline Kahn, Poehler are/were great;

Griffin, Silverman, and also Jennifer Saunders & Dawn French all had a window were they were hilarious.

In other words, you're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 16803/09/2013

Years ago, a night after watching SNL, I recoginized Rachel Dratch at a bar, and wanted to tell her that I found her funny. She was sitting with some woman. I approached Dratch and she was sweet and personable. I, for whatever reason, felt comfortable and began complaining to her how terrible the writing had become and wondering who the hell must be this head writer. I was a big SNL fan as a kid and was offended at how awful the writing had become. All the while as I said, " As bad as Colin Quinn is you have to blame the head writer. OMG, they stink," the woman who sat with her smiled sweetly. About 6 months later I found out that the woman was Tina Fey,head writer at that time. Since then I have not found her funny at all, but she was graceful and had a nice vibe as I inadvertantly insulted her. I also was a double for Amy Poeler(Uprights citizens brigade show) and though I also don't find her funny, she seemed like a totally decent person.The whole set was filled with such a bunch of stiffs, and she stood out as warm and human. I had no idea who she was, at the time.

by Anonymousreply 16903/09/2013

Funny how women "generally aren't that funny" considering Pauly Shore, Carrot Top, Dennis Miller, Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller ... somebody stop me!

by Anonymousreply 17003/09/2013

The people who find Tina Fey funny loved SATC.

by Anonymousreply 17103/10/2013

SATC had mostly male writers.

by Anonymousreply 17203/10/2013

Tina's new movie, Admissions, with Paul Rudd came out Friday. Any word on how it did at the box office? Most reviews said Tina was playing a version of Liz Lemon (which she also did on Date Night, Baby Mama and Mean Girls). I'm not sure she has another acting gear.

by Anonymousreply 17303/24/2013

Few professional comedians are actually funny.

Male or female, black or white, straight or gay, Jewish or gentile.

I never laugh at loud at most comedians, with the exception of George Carlin (RIP) and Phyllis Diller. Many comics can be thought provoking, or amusing, but not actually funny.

It is mind-boggling at how many unfunny people are such successful comics--Eddie Murphy, Seinfeld, Carrot Top--the old fart ones like Joey Bishop, Johnny Carson, the Catskill crapola comics, etc.

True wit is a lost art in America.

by Anonymousreply 17403/24/2013

And who the FUCK liked Shecky Greene?

Whose cock did he suck to get famous??!!!

by Anonymousreply 17503/24/2013

Actually I liked SATC,as a whole, a lot. But I do not enjoy Tina Fey or find her funny and never have.

by Anonymousreply 17603/24/2013

I think Fey is a comic genius, but I hate her for not firing Tracy Morgan after he said he would kill his son if he was gay.

She should have fired Morgan on the spot but she is inexplicably enthralled with him and she just joked about his horrible words. I found this devastating.

and to make things worse she simultaneously fired the one gay actor on her show, the incredibly talented Cheyenne Jackson, as she kept Tracy Morgan on.

That was SERIOUSLY fucked up and I can never forgive her for it. She is seriously clueless about the hell most gay people on this planet go through.

by Anonymousreply 17703/24/2013

R177, I agree with you. And you know what, she's a straight frau who publicly flirts with being a lesbian to titilate men and advance her career. She's been doing that shit for years.

by Anonymousreply 17803/24/2013

Agreed. Tina Fey is a dumb bitch who needs to be not only taken off the air but also forcibly shipped to some unknown island where we will never hear her again. Did I mention she's a dumb bitch?

by Anonymousreply 17906/02/2013

I don't find her extremely anything, OP.

by Anonymousreply 18006/02/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 18107/10/2013

I can not stand the woman. It's obvious that she thinks she's "all that". She's a mean, nasty person who is happy to get a laugh humiliating others! She's a low life ugly woman, inside & out!

by Anonymousreply 18208/17/2013

I think she's probably very racist. A lot of the jokes on her show were those disparaging black characters on the show -- Tracy Jordan and Twofer". It wasn't like SNL where everyone and every group is equally joked about, it was always just black characters.

by Anonymousreply 18308/17/2013

Tina Fey is an example of what is wrong with comedy today. She found out that you can create some kind of career out of making fun of republicans. She is a stooge for the left. She really does not even have a sense of humor. Her smugness comes through everything she does. She is like the sorority girl who is from the richest family and uses it impress the other sisters they laugh at her stupid jokes because they feel they will benefit from it. She appears uncomfortable in everything she does because she should not be in comedy at all she should do something she is good at like filling the paper cups as a clerk on the night shift at seven eleven

by Anonymousreply 18401/11/2014

I hate her! Not funny and smug. I stopped watching SNL because of her. Plus she loves Alec Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 18502/25/2014

I think she sucks. Talentless, vapid, no range or facial expression. She is of the new SNL pool of talentless pathetics that somehow through the connects and power of Lorne Michaels, have a forum to display their weekly trainwreck of stupidity and embarrassment. How that show is still on the air, totally escapes me and the fact that there are people who think she is funny, when clearly she is a talentless, fear-filled wannabe, with no depth or range, is a sad commentary on the taste and standards of people today but we see this reverberate in all aspects of society today. Of course Tina Fey thrives, she is supported by a cesspool of bad taste and low expectations.

by Anonymousreply 18605/21/2014

Someone said Tina? I want some!

by Anonymousreply 18705/21/2014

That commercial where her "daughter" puts yogurt on her face and then Tina comments she wipes her ass. WTF? It grosses me out.

by Anonymousreply 18805/21/2014

I hate this miserable cunt. She comes off as a smug, bitchy whiner. I hope she dies in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 18905/21/2014

Can't stand her. She's awful in all those commercials she's doing now. What a hack.

by Anonymousreply 19005/21/2014

No, just extremely boring.

by Anonymousreply 19105/21/2014

Lots of Freeperellas in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 19205/21/2014

She has a chapter in her book about humorless internet trolls like yourselves in her book.

by Anonymousreply 19305/21/2014

Isn't that the chapter where George Carlin tells her to shut the fuck up and die already

by Anonymousreply 19405/21/2014

I think she is funny, but I can understand how some people would not get it.

by Anonymousreply 19505/21/2014

I don't dislike her, but I do find her work bland. But I never really like SNL brand of humor.

MadTV was more my style.

by Anonymousreply 19605/21/2014

[R60] Actually, crime went down under Dinkins and Guilliani famously took credit for statistics formed before he took office.

Eventually Guilliani admitted that he did not actually bring crime rates down but people felt safer and that mattered more than the actual facts.

by Anonymousreply 19705/21/2014

For R60

by Anonymousreply 19805/21/2014

Rudy Guiliani is such a liver-lipped Republican tool. God, just fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 19905/21/2014

R186 = ghost of Steve Allen.

by Anonymousreply 20005/21/2014

Plain faced Greek women have been historically useless Tina is no different

by Anonymousreply 20105/21/2014

Freeper Frau hate her because they wish that they could be her. She's managed to not only have a marriage & kids but she's also smart & successful.

Meanwhile the only thing worthwhile that they've done is squirt out a couple of crotch fruit.

by Anonymousreply 20205/21/2014

r198, all administrations cook the books, regardless of party.

Data manipulation in the NYPD is the number one issue from a union and activist perspective.

What Giuliani did do was clean up Times Square, which brought tourists in, and police presence up. The crime just moved away. That did affect the stats, but didn't solve the problem.

by Anonymousreply 20305/21/2014

she sucks she is not funny just watch her with jimmy fallon on weekend update.

by Anonymousreply 20506/13/2014

She is extremely nice, that much I can say.

I think she's a good egg.

When I think of the truly funny women of SNL, I think of Gilda, Maya, and Jan.

Tina's Sarah is really funny.

by Anonymousreply 20606/13/2014

30 Rock was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 20706/14/2014

Nope. I love her. She's smart and hilarious. I wish there were more like her in the world, especially in the entertainment business.

by Anonymousreply 20806/14/2014

Yes the Sarah P. was funny the first few times but QUICKLY got old and stale. She is a one note one shot performer. I do not get her appeal at all, or Any Poehler or any of the other dozens of SNL alums we have to see constantly, not only in TV but movies too. SNL NEVER was a great show. At times it has been MILDLY amusing with a FEW good performers; yes, I have liked a few skits and people. But overall, it is old, tired, has far too many commercials and is mostly unfunny or sophomoric. I am really tired of Tina Fey.

to all you snarky people who want to write: you must be too stupid to understand her, or WHO do you think is funny or stop capitalizing etc., I have already thought of all the nasty comments you could make, so you have your opinion and OP and I have mine. Shut up already.

Some of us don't care for her. Or Melissa McCarthy or Kristen Wig.

Wanda Sykes, yes, Kathy Griffin, yes, Joan Rivers at her peak, yes, Lily Tomlin, genius and the absolute funniest is Dame Edna.

by Anonymousreply 20906/14/2014

I agree with [R186]

by Anonymousreply 21006/14/2014

She was great as Palin, lets not take that away from her. She's also a great writer, Mean Girls, lets not take that from her either. But Wiig is funnier by miles.

by Anonymousreply 21106/14/2014

There's a lot of shit on TV and in the movies nowadays.

It appeals to the not too bright teens, twenty somethings and thirtysomethings, whose education has been so dumbed down, they cannot understand nor appreciate really funny humor or subtly nuanced humor or dry, witty British humor.

You know if they think Fallon is talented, they truly have no idea what comedy and talent is.

Take a look at People magazine and Entertainment magazine. With few exceptions, content is dumbed down to a slow child's mentality, with people a slow child might enjoy. Twilight, Hunger Games etc. and now we have the misquoted literary quite The Fault in Our Stars.

What is the secret to getting crap published to become a zillionaire?

by Anonymousreply 21206/14/2014

She's just annoying. She was ok on 30 Rock only because she had Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan, and the rest of the cast. I can't stand the commercial where she eats potpourri. Not funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 21306/14/2014

[quote]the absolute funniest is Dame Edna

Well, of course you don't like Tina Fey. You like your comedy dumbed down and elderly.

by Anonymousreply 21406/14/2014

Is she still writing a Mean Girls musical?

by Anonymousreply 21508/10/2014

She's smart and clever. But only half as smart as clever as she thinks she is.

by Anonymousreply 21608/10/2014

I think she is funny if you are mentally deficient.

I find her completely boring and smug, ditto Amy Poheler.

This is comedy?

by Anonymousreply 21708/10/2014

Too smug. One note actress.

by Anonymousreply 21808/10/2014

one of the few female comedians I like. Plus I love mean girls.

by Anonymousreply 21908/10/2014

Boring, bland, unfunny - the lady only has one facial expression. And, her Sarah Palin was neither creative nor funny ...she just has a just similar enough appearance to Palin that it worked and appealed to the stupid masses. Yeah, Fey sucks. SNL hasn't had anyone funny in a LOOOOONG time. They need to cancel that shit.

by Anonymousreply 22008/24/2014

Yes to R7. I've never seen her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 22208/25/2014

I hate her esp those and press commercials

by Anonymousreply 22309/07/2014

I never understood how people thought she was hot either. She's plain as day. Not ugly, of course, but just the definition of a plain-looking white woman.

by Anonymousreply 22409/07/2014

How the HELL did Liz Lemon end up with a hot guy like James Marsden? How? How?

by Anonymousreply 22509/07/2014

You all need to get a life.

by Anonymousreply 22609/07/2014

Damn, did I hate those stupid commercials of hers that ran during the US open.

by Anonymousreply 22809/09/2014

Liz Lemon was my least favorite character on [italic]30 Rock[/italic]. When she said "I probably would have been a Nazi," I thought to myself, "you said it, I didn't."

by Anonymousreply 23009/15/2014

[quote]Wanda Sykes, yes, Kathy Griffin, yes, Joan Rivers at her peak, yes, Lily Tomlin, genius and the absolute funniest is Dame Edna.

You are aware that Dame Edna's not really a woman, correct?

by Anonymousreply 23109/15/2014

Her commercials totally disgust me

by Anonymousreply 23210/05/2014

In that pussy.

by Anonymousreply 23310/05/2014

she was funny as Palin, but im beginning to realize its more because Palin was such a joke.

by Anonymousreply 23410/15/2014

[quote] Bunch of uptight, unfunny [italic]bitchass[/italic] queens.

Yeah, brah, you're definitely totes pro-woman.

by Anonymousreply 23510/15/2014

Marshal Warfield's best line, "Did I Fuck Him?"

by Anonymousreply 23610/15/2014

30 Rock was one of the best network sitcoms of the new century.

As usual, DL is filled with elderly, hissing idiots.

by Anonymousreply 23710/15/2014

I always thought she was a dyke and Amy Poehler was her fish.

by Anonymousreply 23810/15/2014

The "Batman" episode of 30 Rock is pretty great..

by Anonymousreply 23910/15/2014

"Smug" is a word people use when they mean "I don't get that person's jokes."

by Anonymousreply 24010/15/2014

Dead on, R240.

by Anonymousreply 24110/15/2014

R229 and R4 ( all those years ago) summed it up perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 24210/15/2014

[quote]The reason Fey is popular is because she appeals to women. Women want to see another woman try to be funny. It doesn't matter if they fail. Women just like the effort.

Welcome, "Carla", I mean "straight guy who wandered in here from Roissy's blog".

by Anonymousreply 24310/15/2014

Threads like this prove DL is filled with people who don't know what they are talking/bitching about.

30 Rock is about making fun of all the self-absorbed assholes in showbiz. Tina Fey's character is totally self-deprecating, there's nothing smug about Liz Lemon at all.

It really surprises me that the show isn't more widely appreciated here. It always felt like a modern update of the Larry Sanders Show to me, with plenty of gay humor, too.

I don't get people who say shit like this: [quote]Fey's popularity should sicken people

Sicken? Are you for real?

by Anonymousreply 24410/15/2014

The writing on 30 Rock was very sharp and very funny. I'm not sure how much Tina Fey had to do with that, but I'm sure she had some hand in it. Apparently, the Writers Guild of America named 30 Rock one of the best-written television series of all time in 2013. I don't watch enough television to corroborate that. Hahaha.

by Anonymousreply 24510/15/2014

Tina Fey is no Jan Hooks.

by Anonymousreply 24610/15/2014

She's not funny.

by Anonymousreply 24710/15/2014

This bitch is not funny. All the losers on here that like her in SNL must be ignorant to the fact she reads a script and they put her in the outfits.

and her lesbian pal Amy, is a bigger tag a long than Rob Schneider is to Sandler

by Anonymousreply 24801/14/2015

I find Aziz Ansari, Dane Cook, Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, Jay Leno, Carrot Top, Carlos Mencia, Andrew Dice Clay, Jeff Dunham, Gallagher, Dead Chris Farley, Bob Saget, Billy Crystal, Norm Macdonald, Dennis Miller, Adam Sandler, and Rosie O'Donnell extremely unfunny.

Tina Fey, not in my top 50, but not in my bottom 20 either.

by Anonymousreply 24901/14/2015

She's smarter than you, and you resent it.

by Anonymousreply 25001/14/2015

I watched 30 Rock for a while and it was painfully unfunny. No one knows what's funny anymore certainly if Big Bang Theory or Community have lasted so long on TV. 30 Rock tried to fill in too much stuff in 17 minutes and few of the jokes made an impact and to make things worse the editing was beyond clumsy, certainly for a major network TV show.

Major side eye to anyone who thought it was funny or good.

by Anonymousreply 25101/14/2015

She struck gold when Sarah Palin was unleashed; because of her resemblance she was automatically the perfect actress to parody Palin. But her regular persona comes across as condescending and smug, to me at least.

She should be the one to be married to George Clooney. They could sit across the table from each other and smirk at each other all day. They could make mildly amusing, mildly disparaging remarks. That would be a match made in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 25201/14/2015

I thought her fame was all sympathy because she's pseudo-attractive but her face is scarred, like that one sorority sister with one leg shorter than the other who graduates 'most popular" like Jimmy or Timmy on South Park.

by Anonymousreply 25301/14/2015

She makes me laugh...she's a lot more funny then Kristen Wiig, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 25401/14/2015

How can what I presume are gay men in this thread not find 30 Rock funny. That show was consistently hilarious with brilliant one-liners. The sensibility of the humor was very "gay." Fraus hated the show, btw. They didn't "get it."

by Anonymousreply 25501/14/2015

I am a woman and 30 Rock got pretty old pretty quick for me.

The show had some truly brilliant episodes and hilarious moments but Fey and her character began to really grate on my nerves.

Liz Lemon was a very pretty, well-educated woman with a totally cool, totally hip, high-paying job. But she couldn't find a man, couldn't keep her apartment clean, she walked around with food stains on her shirt and did unbelievably stupid things.

And the humor was just so irritating and snide after a while. It had had this insulting and mean spirited quality. I think I was like a lot of fans, I loved the show at first and then eventually lost interest.

And I don't really care much for Tina Fey herself. When I first saw her being interviewed on a talk show I thought she looked like she had something wrong with her. She has this permanent snarl on her face and I'm nervous that she actually going to bite someone one day.

Fey just comes across as a neurotically insecure, angry woman. I get the feeling she would be pretty exhausting to be around.

Just my two-cents.

by Anonymousreply 25601/15/2015

I've never seen 30 Rock, but on SNL and her hosting gigs she seems conceited and oddly humorless. An unlikeable entertainer, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 25701/15/2015

This site is so odd. I wonder how representative it really is of the gays. She's hugely popular in my circle of 20 and 30 (and a few 40)-something gays. I just wish she got better film scripts. Most of her film work has been abysmal and can't hold a candle to 30 Rock or the best of her SNL work.

by Anonymousreply 25801/15/2015

I'm tired of her.

by Anonymousreply 25901/15/2015

Because she's funny

by Anonymousreply 26001/31/2015

by Anonymousreply 26102/02/2015

She's extremely unfunny. So was that stupid 30Rock show. Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 26202/02/2015

She is a snotty superior punk who never paid real dues in life and mocks people who have, like Sarah Palin...true liberal creep.

by Anonymousreply 26302/17/2015

And where is all this "love" for Tracy Morgan coming from?

He was the least funny SNL performer ever, he tried stand up and his shows were so bad people would get up and walk out on him, he was the luckiest actor on Earth to land the part on 30 Rock, after 30 Rock's success he began horribly bad-mouthing fellow SNL cast mates who weren't doing nearly as well as him, he stood on stage and said he would stab his son to death if he spoke in a gay voice - what is it with Fey and Morgan?

If she wants to say something supportive while he's recovering or express gratitude for his contribution to 30 Rock that's one thing, but to stand on stage and rave about him and say, "We love you Tracy!" Don't get it.

"Tracy Morgan on Cheri Oteri and Chris Kattan: Fuck 'Em!"

I'm starting to appreciate the fact that this dumbfuck got in that car accident. Useless, overpaid asshole.

by Anonymousreply 26402/18/2015

I'm funnier than she is.

by Anonymousreply 26502/18/2015

She is hysterically unfunny. So is that crappy show she is on.

by Anonymousreply 26602/18/2015

Love her. Very funny.

by Anonymousreply 26702/18/2015

"There is zero edge to her." I agree, however...

...I think she is a good sitcom writer, so skits were a cinch. And without Amy Pohler and the Nightly News, she probably would've stayed background.

I think she's like a lot of priviledged white girls who go to nice uni's. Their liberal women until they get married and have kids. I saw her in Seinfelds CICGC series, and she was EVERY BIT this stereotype and now-frau. Comparing her writing to cars: I think she's a Toyota. Not fancy, durable over the long haul, and inexpensive.Great car for the money but groundbreaking or edgy? No. Most producers won't risk that.

by Anonymousreply 26802/18/2015

R244 is correct.

You people who call her "smug" are too old to get it.

by Anonymousreply 26902/18/2015

She's not terrible. The Palin spoof was good. Overall has done average work. She keeps getting awards because of her mean spirited attacks on republicans disguised as comedy, of course liberals love it. The awards keep coming because liberals are in the majority in those awards shows. Never has someone so average gotten so much acclaim. Her friend Amy is very funny.

by Anonymousreply 27002/20/2015

Tina Fey eats shit.

by Anonymousreply 27102/20/2015

I'm glad the Emmys stopped throwing awards at her pussy every five seconds.

by Anonymousreply 27202/20/2015

[quote]"Smug" is a word people use when they mean "I don't get that person's jokes."

This x1,000.

by Anonymousreply 27302/20/2015

Her new show was released on Netflix today. It's gotten pretty good reviews. I plan on watching for Jane Krakowski.

by Anonymousreply 27403/06/2015

Jane Krakowski, now there is a funny and talented woman.

She played Cousin Eddie's daughter in the first Family Vacation with Chevy Chase and Beverly DeAngelo.

"Yeah, but Daddy says I'm the best."

by Anonymousreply 27503/06/2015

R264, That fucked up white bitch isn't good enough to drink Tracy's piss. You are just another powder piece of shit. Take your post and stick it up your dirty cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27603/06/2015

Oh, please, OP. She's just about THE BEST THING EVER to have happened to contemporary American comedy.

Anybody who can induce me to watch and LMAO at "30 Rock" IN SPITE OF the casting of such pieces of shit as Tracy Morgan and Jane Krakowski is a FREAKING COMEDIC GENIUS.

by Anonymousreply 27703/06/2015

Tina Fey is extremely funny, a true comic genius. "30 Rock" also boasted frequent appearances by other luminaries of comedy -- everyone from Steve Martin to Seinfeld -- because they know brilliant writing when they see it.

The resentment by haters here is clear. Here's a lady who's intelligent, pretty, clever, and funny -- in words the stupid haters can understand, an "uppity bitch."

Let the dogs bark, Tina!

by Anonymousreply 27804/15/2015

[quote] Steve Martin to Seinfeld -- because they know brilliant writing when they see it.

Or, you know, wanted to stay relevant. (BTW, I don't find either of them funny, either. But, I am a young.)

[quote] in words the stupid haters can understand, an "uppity bitch."

Actually, most comedians are "uppity bitches", male or female, their shitty personalities always find a way to shine through. That resonates with a certain type of person, but I'll pass.

Unlike most comedians, Tina has made her niche in the middle class middlebrow market. She allows her audience to feel smart without (because she's so clever and they totally get her, so look!) without having to actually do anything that requires any actual intellectual rigor. It's NPR chic, NPR realness.

If I'm resentful of anything, it isn't that people like her or think she's funny. That's aiight. It's that people try to build her up to be much than she is.

Naturally, because these people share her same personality disorder and their affection for her becomes a reflection on them somehow.(See r278's creepy ass post) I don't see how that makes any fucking sense, but whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 27904/15/2015

I'd like to hear some of examples of who is funny from the people who think Tina Fey is not. What makes you laugh?

by Anonymousreply 28004/15/2015

R280 I quite enjoy Amy Schumer...?

Somebody in the other DL thread re 'Did Tina Fey kill the dermatologist' described her as 'pedestrian' and espousing 'mom humor'. I agree 100%

by Anonymousreply 28104/15/2015

R278 must ride the short bus.

Fay is homely, conceited, and unfunny. Her one note Palin riff was funny for 5 minutes. It made her famous and now we are subjected to her everywhere from hair color commercials to instant books written by others. (See Poler too.) And now she is on and developing sitcoms.

I tried watching Shumer's comedy special. Humor that appeals to slow 13 year olds laughing at sex jokes. And what is with those huge legs? UGLY. Can't she dress to disguise flaws like smarter people learn to do?

Here is how to tell if someone is smart or dumb. Do they like Fay/Shumer? D-U-M-B.

by Anonymousreply 28204/15/2015

"It's that people try to build her up to be much than she is," huh, R279? Honestly, people don't try to build Fey up to be "much" than she is. They don't even try to build her up to be MORE than she is.

I suppose that by "Poler," Idiot R282 must intend to mean Amy Poehler.

The trouble with stupid people like the above examples is that they resent smart people like Tina Fey and will spend all day covering Ms. Fey with illiterate insults -- and useless denials that they resent her.

Anyone can see the resentment. As John Cleese noted about Faux News viewers, they're "too stupid to know how stupid they are."

by Anonymousreply 28304/16/2015

Why can't people be happy writing comedy? Why are they always seduced by the camera?

I can't understand how she spent so many years in improve, when she admits her work on SNL was lackluster, and she didn't take-off til she started reading the Update.

by Anonymousreply 28404/16/2015

Yes. I hate her.

by Anonymousreply 28504/16/2015

Haters gonna hate. Tina Fey is laughing all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 28604/16/2015

R282, you're clearly just too old. It's fine. Just watch Antenna TV.

by Anonymousreply 28704/17/2015

You're so Tina Fey's target demo, you're almost a parody. You're the type of person who needs to feel smarter than everyone else. It really massages your dick, doesn't it. That's why you worship her, hell, you're practically living vicariously through her. I guess in that way, she's sort of like a diva for you.

But, as others have said Tina is very pedestrian and middle brow. That's fine. There should be something for everyone. Despite this, she's also smug, arrogant, and pretentious. She's like if Joan Didion were a comic, but with much less talent. Or, maybe she is just as talented, but dumbs down her shit for her audience, people like you.

Now, why don't you go back to masturbating to a Wes Andersen film or reading Infinite Jest for the 215th time.

by Anonymousreply 28804/17/2015

I think she's a very astute analyst of our bullshit modern age. Kimmie Schmidt is full of wry, subtle observations about now.

by Anonymousreply 28904/17/2015

[quote] I'd like to hear some of examples of who is funny from the people who think Tina Fey is not. What makes you laugh?

I'll bite, though this isn't exactly what you were asking for.

Wonder Showzen, Tim & Eric, Sunny, the first few seasons of Reno 911!, Showgirls, Strangers with Candy, The Room and other similar movies like Ben and Arthur, MST3k, Stepbrothers, I Love You Philip Morris (before it got dark), among others that aren't coming to me at the moment.

Also, British/Irish comedies like Blackadder, Father Ted, and a few more.

And, of course, Arrested Development.

Some of these shows I haven't seen for years, though. I'm not sure if I would still find all of them funny, but I did at the time.

by Anonymousreply 29004/17/2015

[quote]You're the type of person who needs to feel smarter than everyone else.

Oh, my. Clearly you don't own any mirrors, miss.

by Anonymousreply 29104/17/2015

Sick burn, r291.

by Anonymousreply 29204/17/2015

She's a feminist comedian. She's funny, but only when she's trying to make a serious point.

by Anonymousreply 29304/17/2015

Tina Fey. Amy Schumer. Amy Sedaris. Mindy Kaling.

All hilarious. But they not all for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 29404/17/2015

Their humor is meant for humorless feminists and dykes. Of course they are highly limited.

by Anonymousreply 29504/17/2015

Me neither.

by Anonymousreply 29604/17/2015

R288 and R295 are right. These women are not funny except maybe funny looking. They appeal to people with little life experience, no travel, poorly read/educated yet who think they are all that. People of low itelligence/information.

Sedaris can be funny for about five minutes but then so can most people.

I just don't get Kaling at all, unattractive yet thinks she is beautiful. Her humor is dumb and Ellenish.

Is Schumer lez? The way she berates men and hates their jizz would make you think she is. With those ginormous legs, has she ever had a man?

Again, not funny, except maybe funny looking. Let's add Melissa McCarthy to this list.

AND most importantly, people in their 30s also do not think they are funny. Don't get why someone said only "old" people don't like them, unless that poster was one of their moms.

by Anonymousreply 29704/17/2015

r297: hates women and, like most women haters, WAY overestimates his intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 29804/17/2015

R280 Julia Louis Dreyfus, Amy Schumer, Richard Pryor, movies In the Loop, Best in Show

by Anonymousreply 29904/17/2015

Also Anna Faris, of course. Smiley Face is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 30004/17/2015

As others have said earlier in the thread there is nothing about Fey (and I'll add Kaling), that is unique to them being women. Like most comedians, male or female, they're bitter and angry, no different than any of the angry white male comedians of the eighties (or the now-like Oswalt) except they cloak their shtick is tailored to a liberalish, college educated middle class audience.

I personally prefer my comedy to not be angry just for the sake of being angry, but that doesn't seem to be in vogue right now. :/

by Anonymousreply 30104/17/2015

LOL, okay. I actually read r297's entire post and bitch is trippin', but that doesn't necessarily discredit what others like me are saying about Fey.

by Anonymousreply 30204/17/2015

Me. I don't get why people think she's funny.

by Anonymousreply 30304/29/2015

I think she tries to hard to be funny which is rather uncomfortable to watch.

by Anonymousreply 30404/29/2015

R297 is 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 30504/29/2015

Only slightly younger than Fey, then.

by Anonymousreply 30604/29/2015

Let isis rip her face off! Then let's make a tv series making fun of her face.

by Anonymousreply 30704/29/2015

I love 30 Rock overall but Fey is obviously off the charts conceited, so much that she doesnt even know to hide how deeply unpleasant she is.

by Anonymousreply 30811/06/2015

Fey is not funny. But A for effort.

by Anonymousreply 30911/06/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!