Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dozens Of ''Gay'' Teen Boys Sent To Masculinity Camp In Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- Malaysian authorities have sent 66 Muslim schoolboys identified by teachers as effeminate to a four-day camp where they will receive counseling on masculine behavior to discourage them from being gay, an official said Tuesday.

Gay rights advocates decried the measure as a symptom of widespread homophobia in this Muslim-majority country where gay sex is illegal.

The boys between 13 and 17 years old reported Monday for what is officially being called a "self-development course" after their schoolteachers in Terengganu state identified them as students who displayed effeminate mannerisms, said Razali Daud, the state's education director.

They will undergo religious and motivational classes and physical guidance, Razali said. He declined to give further details.

The camp is meant "to guide them back to the right path in life before they reach a point of no return," Razali told The Associated Press. "Such effeminate behavior is unnatural and will affect their studies and their future."

It is the first such program in Terengganu, a conservative state. Over the years, Terengganu's officials have held programs aimed at promoting Muslim morality, such as offering free honeymoons to save the marriages of couples considering divorce.

Razali denied the boys were compelled to attend the camp, saying they were simply "invited" to do so. After it ends, their teachers and parents will monitor and continue advising them.

"It is not an overnight cure," he said. "We can't force the boys to change, but we want them to know what their choices are in life. Some effeminate boys end up as a transvestite or a homosexual, but we want to do our best to limit this."

Pang Khee Teik, the co-founder of a Malaysian sexual rights awareness group, called the camp "outrageous."

"If we don't do anything to stop the rot of homophobia ... I worry it may get worse," he said.

Gay Malaysians say they face discrimination from government policies such as a law that makes sodomy punishable by 20 years in prison. The law is seldom and selectively enforced, but some states also impose jail terms for public cross-dressing.

Last year, a young gay Malaysian who posted a Youtube clip defending his sexuality received online death threats. Government authorities accused him of insulting Islam, though no official action was taken.

Malaysia's most high-profile use of the anti-sodomy law involves opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim, who is on trial on charges of having sex with a male former aide. Anwar, who is married with six children, insists the charge was fabricated to smear his reputation. The government denies plotting against him.

by Anonymousreply 4903/29/2013

Very sad.

[quote]Razali denied the boys were compelled to attend the camp, saying they were simply "invited" to do so.

Yeah, right...

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2011

cue to Malaysian hookers spread-eagled on the cafeteria tables

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2011

This bloody country is always holiday advertising on UK TV: 'Malaysia, Truly Asia' NONE STOP all last year and the year before. %0D %0D Especially irritating since it is very anti-western in lots of ways, last year they had riots regarding the 'infiltration' of the English language and they also appear to hate gays. %0D %0D Yet they want UK/western tourism and money. Even western gay money. But they don't want to acknowledge you are gay but would take your money. %0D %0D Don't visit this place. Hit them in the pocket imo.

by Anonymousreply 304/19/2011

Fuck off r4.

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2011

So the OP calls effeminacy "gay." Typical. Could the agenda be any more blunt?

by Anonymousreply 604/19/2011

Because nobody does butch like Southeast Asians...

by Anonymousreply 704/19/2011

Malaysia is one of the "moderate, secular" Muslim countries, isn't it? Just checking.

by Anonymousreply 804/19/2011

This is strange. There seems to be a high number of gays in the Philippines and Malaysia. Youd think they wouldn't be so homophobic since every other boy child is gay. It would actually be a great place to live if it wasn't so homophobic and poverty stricken. Maybe there will be a gay uprising in that part of the world one day.

by Anonymousreply 904/19/2011

[quote]There seems to be a high number of gays in the Philippines and Malaysia

And you established this how?

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2011

they will be stripped and spanked

by Anonymousreply 1104/19/2011

Raja: you in trouble, girl!

by Anonymousreply 1204/19/2011

I don't understand the insistence that effeminate boys are "unnatural." Do they think they came from a laboratory?

by Anonymousreply 1304/19/2011

This is why figure skating has never caught on in Islamic Countries.

by Anonymousreply 1404/19/2011

[R8] As far as I know, Islamic fundamentalists seem to slowly take over the country - politically, of course. Over the years, they have passed measures that seem to slope toward fundamentalism.

by Anonymousreply 1504/19/2011

R10 is thinking "houseboys."

by Anonymousreply 1604/19/2011

I was in Malaysia just a couple of weeks ago, with my boyfriend. KL seemed to have its fair share of gays and I saw no signs of homophobia at all.

by Anonymousreply 1704/19/2011

Well, I wonder what they'll do when their little butch camp doesn't work out for any of the participants?

by Anonymousreply 1804/19/2011

[quote]There seems to be a high number of gays in the Philippines and Malaysia.

How could there be more gays in the Philippines and Malaysia?.

Evidence Please

by Anonymousreply 1904/19/2011

Same sex attraction has nothing to do with prissiness. But that fact goes against the agenda at datalounge. Carry on with your propaganda I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2004/19/2011

Random factoid: In Philippines, the gays are considered a third sex

by Anonymousreply 2204/19/2011

There are camps like this in the United States, but since the US isn't a Muslim country we will continue to ignore that fact!

by Anonymousreply 2304/19/2011

R9 knows there are a lot of gay people there the same way the Muslim authorities do: they're sissy. Sissy = Gay. Gay = Sissy.

Why, it's all so easy!

by Anonymousreply 2404/19/2011

[quote]There are camps like this in the United States, but since the US isn't a Muslim country we will continue to ignore that fact!

Actually, the camps are not in the USA. Conservative Christians set up camps in Mexico and the Caribbean to avoid scrutiny and USA child protection laws. They do exist, however.

by Anonymousreply 2504/19/2011

Can you give us more information or a link, R25?

by Anonymousreply 2604/19/2011

I feel like this kind of camp is going to have the reverse effect. The way prison is college for criminals this is going to be school for these gayboys..

by Anonymousreply 2704/19/2011

I would like to know what exactly they do at these camps.

by Anonymousreply 2804/19/2011

Lived in the Philippines for 2 years.

Lots of gays there..they even tease the straight guys by trying to kiss there cheeks and openly flirted with them-just for fun..and the straights were not they're use to it.

by Anonymousreply 2904/19/2011

I would not want to go to a masculinity camp; sounds horrible.

But I would love to just hang out with a masculine jock and do guy stuff with him; boxing, ball games and going to bars and drinking beer.

Throwing the football around would be fun, too.

by Anonymousreply 3004/19/2011

Coming soon to a theater near you: TOP CAMP.

by Anonymousreply 3104/19/2011

Here's an example of those effeminate boys in Asia. These kids are very young..but no one seems to bat an good for them.

by Anonymousreply 3204/19/2011

My memory from a report about one of the camps in Mexico was that it was basically aversion therapy. There was some football and other learn to act straight stuff, but most of it was punishment for anything that was considered homosexual or effeminate. Also lots of toughing up; long runs in the hot sun, standing with your arms outstretched holding buckets of sand, etc. Really, much of it reminded me of what I learned about Dachau when I visited there. The idea seems to be to make your life so miserable that the threat of having to return is enough to make your change.

by Anonymousreply 3304/19/2011

But won't teaching them masculine behavior help them get laid when they grow up?%0D

by Anonymousreply 3404/19/2011

[quote]I would love to just hang out with a masculine jock and do guy stuff with him; boxing, ball games and going to bars and drinking beer. Throwing the football around would be fun, too.%0D %0D Lesbian invasion in this thread.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3504/19/2011

Yes R34 it will help.

Nellies never get good men.

by Anonymousreply 3604/19/2011

Changing sexual orientation is wrong and can never happen, but teaching the nellies to act like men. That is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 3804/20/2011

Trying to stamp out nelliness is a fool's errand, R38. It never works, and nothing is less sexy than a guy pretending to be masculine when he's not.

by Anonymousreply 3904/20/2011

My parents sent me to a masculinity camp in the 60s and I'm glad they did. It was called scout camp and I learned a lot!

by Anonymousreply 4004/20/2011

I think this is a great idea, because it's going to backfire in a big way.

If I were a 13-17-year-old gay boy in a conservative country, being sent to a camp with hundreds of other similar-aged youths who have been selected for likely also being gay, I would be euphoric.

by Anonymousreply 4104/23/2011

by Anonymousreply 4211/17/2012

R26, One of MRs buds ran one of the camps. Sad article.

by Anonymousreply 4311/17/2012

"In a 2002 newsletter titled “Can Homosexuality Be Treated and Prevented?” Dr. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, warned about “prehomosexuality” in children. Dobson told parents that even if their sons are not “effeminate” and their daughters are not “masculinized,” they may still be in danger of becoming gay or lesbian and should see a “professional.”

• Dr. Joseph Nicolosi, co-founder of the National Assosciation for the Research and Therapy of Homosexuals (NARTH), published A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Homosexuality in 2002, in which he describes his experience providing conversion therapy to a five-year-old “prehomosexual” boy named “Stevie.”

Ex-gay organizations and their evangelical Christian right allies are not just limiting their outreach to youth who may be lesbian, gay or bisexual. Heterosexual youth in schools are also being recruited to spread the message that homosexuality is a treatable condition. For example, in 2005, an evangelical Christian legal group named the Alliance Defense Fund sponsored the first annual “Day of Truth,” which it established “to counter the promotion of the homosexual agenda” in schools. According to ADF, more than 1,100 students from over 350 schools participated."

by Anonymousreply 4411/17/2012

Reactionary Islam and totalitarianism are horrible. Poor children. Our little brothers and sisters.

And the American counterparts of these fiends are still shoving their mugs into the television screen, screaming about morality.

by Anonymousreply 4511/17/2012

They need to be "accidentally" reassigned to a musical theater camp, as depicted in the movie, "Camp." I'd love to hear a Malaysian take on "The Ladies Who Lunch."

by Anonymousreply 4611/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 4703/29/2013

What happens if the re-education fails? I think this would be grounds for enabling them to emigrate out of the country. Similar to a hate crime or ethnic cleansing. Refugee status or something?

Maybe some gay couples would adopt them.

by Anonymousreply 4803/29/2013

[quote]Sent To Masculinity Camp

sounds hot to me! sign me up for the nude wrestling part

by Anonymousreply 4903/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!