Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Many Extra Virgin Olive Oils fail the test again

Only I don't understand this report. It's too complicated.%0D %0D Can someone who has the time to read this please give me the EVOO for dummies version and list which ones are real and which ones aren't?%0D %0D TIA!%0D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 14, 2011 6:14 PM

Look for a deep green color and it should have some kind of seal on it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2011 4:12 AM

Would one like this be okay, R1?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2011 4:17 AM

Cute R2.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2011 4:21 AM

Those poor seals have to die because of your fucking selfishness about having "real" olive oil. I bet Ayn Rand used the olive oil with seals.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2011 4:32 AM

It's a fact that rabid squirrels roll pieces of babby seal fur in "real" extra virgin olive oil before they eat it. Then, the shit the desiccated and processed babby seal fur from branches upon unwitting passersby!

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2011 4:42 AM

You have to make olive oil from discidous tress

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2011 4:45 AM

Imported olive oil is poison, only California produced olive oil didn't fail the tests of purity and wholesomeness.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2011 4:58 AM

r7, what's your point? it's hardly racist. sure it's nationalistic, but you expect it to be, no?

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2011 5:04 AM

If it doesn't have the California Olive Oil Council seal on your olive oil (avail only at Whole Foods type of places or by going to the COOC site) you're buying canola oil dressed up as olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2011 5:10 AM

R8 is a crazy person.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2011 5:16 AM

In the last thread they told me to put my extra virgin olive oil in the fridge to test it, but I forgot what the result means.

Also, I need an all clad saute pan since the Julia Childs omelette recipes don't work well with my cast iron pans.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2011 5:20 AM

What R9 said. I remember that thread as well.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2011 5:21 AM

What about Walmart Great Value brand? Should that be OK?

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2011 5:29 AM

The conclusion seems to be buy California EVOOs. What a shocking conclusion for the University of California to reach. Who would have guessed?

And, in an amazing coincidence, if you go to the website of the UC Davis Olive Institute, which published the report, what do you find? They're selling their own brand of EVOO. A whole line of EVOOs, all Californian. How thoughtful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2011 5:34 AM

put your olive oil in the fridge...

if it gets cloudy and opaque, then you have the real thing.

If it remains clear, you don't have real olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2011 5:34 AM

LOL, r13.

That genuinely made me have a chuckle fit just now.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2011 5:37 AM

That's serious r16. Can you imagine how much of the stuff they sell? Why not test it? Because they're afraid they'll find it's OK?

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2011 5:41 AM

I'm back. Thanks for remembering the other thread r12. I looked at the data. California Olive Ranch which got the top marks on the UC Davis study on all the tests if you look at it IS a certified COOC brand.

I know this because I happen to be looking around the COOC site and reading the latest COOC newsletter (they're on facebook). They're also part of the new people on the COOC.

I did not know about them till I read the latest COOC newsletter. I'll link to their site, I know they were having an olive oil sale recently. I'm linking for 2 reasons, one if you're interested in real olive oil, best to get it from a COOC certified place & 2 - it shows the COOC label on the right of their home page. And any olive oil that is REAL is going to get this seal.

Anything else is expensive canola oil. The refrigerator test is bogus btw. These oils need to be chemically tested by scientists and that's what gets you the COOC certification.

The COOC olive is more expensive but it's real and you're not paying for expensive canola oil unlike the crap you are buying at Costco (from Italy!! Yes & Italy IS sending us olive oil flavored Canola Oil btw, they get caught every once in a while in doing this - I can find links to that, they were all in the other thread).

Also Trader Joe's aka Aldis (same German family owns TJ's & Aldis) is selling you expensive canola oil as well that they call "olive oil".

There are actual laws that were supposed to go through in California about this, and fines, but you can see, these laws are just a piece of paper. California doesn't have the money for enforcement of olive oil fraud. Wish they did, and wish they fined people, but this really isn't on their list of "to dos".

Buy COOC certified only. It's real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2011 5:43 AM

R16, one of the sites was pushing Walmart. One sec... [quote]The chemical analysis did find that 90% of the California-packaged olive oils were indeed what they claimed to be. Two that were exactly what they claimed to be were Walmart's Great Value brand and Costco's Kirkland Organic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2011 5:44 AM

Why isn't this more widely publicized? Why aren't there tests of all the major brands? If they're faking it, it would seem to be a big scandal that the media would cover. Why isn't there a complete reference page on the web?

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2011 5:48 AM

r14 - I want to address what you're talking about, ie, California olive oil.

1. The weather in California in certain regions is the only weather conducive to growing olives.

2. They are experimenting doing some olives in Texas but they have a limited variety of olives that they can use due to the weather in Texas.

3. UC Davis has an olive oil center because it's an agriculture school and veterinarian school. It's main focus is farming although you can get other degrees there, farming, which is the big focus of UC Davis.

4. I would also trust the olive oil from UC Davis, I have no idea whether it's been certified by the COOC or not, but most likely their olive oil IS real since they're not far from the center of the olive oil capitals in California, which are Sonoma/Napa/ & north of there - I can't remember the name of the town, but that town is olive oil central.

5. Finally, on April 13, 2011 once again, LA Times talks about FRAUD again in the olive oil biz.

I say again as r12 might remember that this comes up frequently. Remember, it's all canola oil unless you get the COOC label.

Link is to the LA Times article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2011 5:52 AM

Because people are misrepresenting the findings, R20. The problem is not that these oils are not olive oil.

[quote]Our testing indicated that the samples failed extra virgin olive oil standards according to one or more of the following: (a) oxidation by exposure to elevated temperatures, light, and/or aging; (b) adulteration with cheaper re%EF%AC%81ned olive oil; and (c) poor quality oil made from damaged and overripe olives, processing %EF%AC%82aws, and/or improper oil storage.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2011 5:57 AM

r19 - walletpop.com is lying about "90% being real". BS. And I don't believe them about walmart/costco either but I will have to look at the stats in the OP's pdf post to be sure. Here's the beginning of the LA Times article.

[quote]Nearly three-quarters of popular brands of extra-virgin olive oil found in California grocery stores don't qualify as extra-virgin under international quality standards, according to a new study.

[quote]report, released Wednesday by the UC Davis Olive Center and the Australian Oils Research Laboratory, is a follow-up to a similar study the two research centers conducted last summer. That earlier report said that two-thirds of common brands of extra-virgin olive oil found in California grocery stores aren't what they claim to be. Many of those problematic oils, labeled "extra-virgin," were imports that commanded premium prices, according to the researchers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2011 6:00 AM

^^ Holy crap. Take a look at that r16. Walmart is selling top quality olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2011 6:05 AM

This is research sponsored by people selling California and Australian olive oil that reaches the conclusion that Californian and Australian EVOOs are the best available. Maybe they are, but you have to be skeptical of sponsored research that ends up endorsing what the sponsor is selling.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2011 6:05 AM

r24 / r16 I just looked at the pdf data and UC Davis did *not* test Walmart/Costco brands. From the LA Times article

[quote]The brands tested for the most recent report were Filippo Berio, Bertolli, Pompeian, Colavita and Star. The researchers also tested samples of Lucini, the top-selling premium Italian brand; Cobram Estate, the largest Australian olive oil producer; and California Olive Ranch, the leading U.S. producer.[/quote]

So again, Walletpop is lying & most likely Costco & Great Value/Walmart is selling you expensive canola oil.

As I keep saying, if you do not choose to buy COOC olive fine but you're paying more than you should for olive oil flavored canola oil, which is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2011 6:11 AM

r25 - look at the people on the panel. I did. They were all exemplary research scientists & chemists at the top of their field with great reputations. Each person has a bio that is there for you to read and google if you wish.

They are saying that they are the purist olive oils that come into the USA, hence they tested the "top brands". They have a previous report that I should also look at at some point too.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2011 6:16 AM

r20, you are talking about a media that never questioned George Bush until it was too late - or Bhutto's happenstance comment that Bin Laden is dead. Why the fuck would they question the validity of the bottle of olive oil sitting on your counter?

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2011 6:21 AM

They may be exemplary researchers, but the olive oil they endorse paid for the research. You may find that a trivial point, but I don't. I would have liked to see more than one premium Italian brand evaluated.

That said, I'll buy Californian EVOO next time.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2011 6:24 AM

R26, they did not test Walmart's store brand, but many of the samples (including some of the good ones) were purchased at Walmart. See the appendix.

There is some truth to R24's statement.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2011 6:31 AM

Thanks OP for bringing this subject up again, really. I'm the olive oil person on the thread with the info. I enjoy these conversations about EVOO aka olive oil. I would never ever call it EVOO though.

r30 right, they did buy the normal Supermarket brands at Walmart like Colavita, Berio, etc, but .....again, they're fake olive oils.

r29 - they might have tested the Italian oils that are imported into the USA last time. It's most likely on their website. I'll have to look into it. I do know that Apollo brand & COOC certified is made by actual real Italians from Italy who grow it in the California olive oil region. I know this because I met them at Whole Foods one day - - they were shocked that I knew that they were COOC certified. I don't think most people *think* about COOC certified olive oil but I do.

I actually learned about all of this on Datalounge originally. Someone linked to an article about fraudulent olive oil here, I read it, lots of info about olive oil fraud in Italy coming into the USA btw in that article, including the "premium" brands.

I went further back and apparently olive oil is black gold and has been fraudulently done since Roman times! Probably before. And, you can google olive oil fraud & you can get an NYT article about fraudulent olive oil coming in from Italy in 1900. The original 1900 article btw from the NYT.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2011 7:12 AM

Why does olive oil cost so much more? If it were similarly priced there would be no reason to fake it.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2011 7:17 AM

I had no idea that olive oil was sold fraudulently until reading about it here on DL. I guess it should make sense, though. I've tried a number of different brands including Colavita, the Costco brand, and a number of others and none of them ever tasted like the foods I had in Spain that were cooked like olive oil. In french fries, you could actually sense the olive taste quite well.%0D %0D Are there any other brands besides Apollo or the COOC brands tested in the UC Davis study that you would recommend?

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2011 7:21 AM

r32 Because the trees take a long time to grow and then to grow olives. It's a labor intensive and land intensive agricultural thing.

r33 there IS a cheaper COOC version that I buy by the gallon. I believe it's what restaurants use...I usually don't give out this info because I want it to stick (& I want to continue buying it) around but I will since you asked. You have to buy it in gallon sizes for about $45 & it IS COOC certified (!!) which is a fantastic price for a gallon. I use about a gallon every few months.

Link is to where I buy it, scroll down to the olive oil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2011 7:36 AM

California Olive Ranch is just $59.95 for a six pack of oil or 10.95 for one bottle of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2011 7:42 AM

I have some that has some kind of Ca certification seal on it.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2011 12:14 PM

So why aren't the fakes getting their asses sued? Usually when some product isn't quite what it pretends to be there's some weaselly wording on the label or ingredients list (like whatever they call that shit on movie popcorn). But if they're saying it's olive oil and it isn't, it would seem to be a pretty clear case of fraud/false advertising or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2011 12:27 PM

Let me ask about what I have on hand. Which if any of the following labeled EVOO are FAKE:

Berio

Pompeian

Sorvino (as in, the actor)

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2011 12:51 PM

"Why isn't this more widely publicized?"

Because most people can't tell the difference, other than sending it to a lab. Too many of us naively presume that "it must be what the seller claims it is". Whenever a buyer cannot definitely tell what they bought, there's gonna be a LOT of fraud.

Same reason a lot of diamonds are fake, so I'm told. Unless you're a jeweler, how you gonna know?

It's also the same reason a lot of kinds of white fish you get in restaurants isn't the kind they say on the menu. Will you be able to tell if you order cod but they serve you pollock?

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2011 1:11 PM

Olive oil is a whore, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2011 2:20 PM

[quote]They may be exemplary researchers, but the olive oil they endorse paid for the research. You may find that a trivial point, but I don't. I would have liked to see more than one premium Italian brand evaluated.

You know, perhaps they did test several premium Italian brands but only reported on the one(s) that didn't make the grade. That's what often happens in these "sponsored" studies: unflattering data are simply left out of the final report.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2011 3:39 PM

But last time, about a year ago, didn't the same people run this test and found that Kirkland (Costco) Organic EVOO was the real deal and it passed all their tests? Last year it was the CA ones winning and the Kirkland Organic. Did that change in a year?%0D %0D I remember one they tested was Rachel Ray's the queen of EVOO and found out hers was bogus.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2011 4:27 PM

[quote]Olive oil is a whore, darlin'.

STFU, Popeye.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2011 5:23 PM

[quote][R30] right, they did buy the normal Supermarket brands at Walmart like Colavita, Berio, etc, but .....again, they're fake olive oils.

I don't think "fake" is the right word. They do not report that any of the oils are anything other than olive oil. Inferior quality is the issue. In some cases they suggest that something labeled "Extra Virgin" is diluted with other olive oil grades, particularly refined olive oil. When olive oil is of inferior quality in terms of taste or odor, they refine it to remove the defects.

For those asking why the government doesn't stop the "fraud:"

Olive oil labeled "Extra Virgin" is not supposed to contain any refined oil according to [italic]international[/italic] standards. However, the US is not a member of that organization and here standards are set by the Department of Agriculture. In the US, if the olive of is deemed to be "of excellent taste and odor" and has the right leve of free fatty acids, it may be labelled "Extra Virgin Olive Oil."

So, in a sense, the government is in on the "fraud."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2011 6:19 PM

So, what is the general consensus? Which brands would those in the know recommend?

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2011 6:49 PM

r38, they said Berio & Pompeiian were fraudulent in the study, I don't think they tested your 3rd one.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2011 6:50 PM

r45 you need to buy the Olive Oil with the COOC certification on it, which was linked earlier, but I'll link it again. Usually the only place you can get these type of olive oils are at Whole Foods or buying direct on the internet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2011 6:52 PM

Here's a link to where to buy real olive oil, here's a link from the COOC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2011 6:55 PM

Here is a fascinating link about olive oil facts & it talks about olive oil fraud on it if you scroll down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2011 7:08 PM

From the link above:

"Doctored Olive Oil

It is not uncommon for hazelnut oil, sunflower oil or vegetable oil to be illegally added to olive oil. In one case documented by Italian authorities a tanker ship loaded up with 2,200 tons of hazelnut oil in Turkey and after meandering journey via the North Sea arrived at the port Barletta in southern Italy with papers that said the oil was Greek olive oil. There it was loaded into tanker trucks and taken to a refinery operated by Italian olive-oil producer Riolo, where at least some of the hazel nut oil was blended with real olive oil, with mixture being sold as pure olive oil, much of it under brands owned by Nestle, Unilever, Bertolli and Oleifici Fasanesi. [Source: Tom Mueller, The New Yorker, August 13. 2007]

Producers of the adulterated olive not only make money from substituting cheaper oils for olive oil but also collect European Union subsidies intended to help the olive oil industry. Organized crime is believed to be involved in the scheme. One investigator told The New Yorker, %E2%80%9Cprofits were compared to cocaine trafficking, with none of the risks.%E2%80%9D [Ibid]

In 2005, a criminal ring that sold fake olive worth $8 million in several regions of Italy was broken up. It was accused of taking low-grade soy oil and canola oil and coloring it with chlorophyll and flavoring it with beta-carotene and packing it as extra-virgin olive oil. More sophisticated schemes use hazel nut oil and deodorized lampante olive oil, which are extremely difficult to detect by chemical analysis.

Olive oil fraud is something that has been going on since antiquity. Galen described oil merchants that mixed high quality olive oil with lard and other substances. Apicius provided a recipe for turning cheap Spanish oil into prized oil from Istria using minced herbs and roots. The Romans tried to prevent the fraud by requiring merchants to name the farm where the oil was pressed and record the exact weight of the oil they purchased. [Ibid]"

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2011 7:09 PM

I remember an article in the NYer saying the Italian olive oil was not what it claimed to be either

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2011 7:18 PM

here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2011 7:20 PM

Here's the link to the UC Davis Olive Oil Center page. They DID test Great Value and other cheap brands in 2010 on it, it's the orange report, and the result is FAKE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2011 7:37 PM

CA olive oil seller is sure working this thread hard.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2011 7:50 PM

Is Lucini extra virgin olive oil real? I have the bottle in the refrigerator as a test. How long should it take to get cloudy and solidify?

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2011 7:54 PM

I LOLed at R13 too. %0D %0D Seriously, I ate some of my mom's Walmart olive oil (I would never shop there) and it didn't taste at all like olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2011 8:00 PM

r55 Luccini was found to be fake by UC Davis testing.

r54 I don't sell olive oil. I am not involved with any of it. I learned about olive oil fraud from DL when someone linked the NY'er article here. I was shocked and at the time I had Costco Organic Olive Oil at my house. No longer. It's expensive canola oil.

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2011 8:06 PM

Actually r54 wouldn't it be better if Italy, Spain, Greece & all the other olive oil producing countries stopped being corrupt and tested their olive oil?

Italy has an International Olive Oil standard, but why is it that they send adulterated & fake olive oil out from there and give it a seal as REAL?

Same with Spain & Greece. There's a lot of corruption in those countries. When tested by UC Davis they all come out adulterated. In another article it said that the mafia is involved in the fake olive oil trade.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2011 8:09 PM

Is there no authentic olive oil sold at trader joes???

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2011 8:13 PM

Remember folks, only Californian olive oil bearing the California Olive Oil Council seal was proven to be safe, pure olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2011 8:20 PM

No r59. None are authentic from Trader Joe's.

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2011 8:21 PM

SFist Investigates: Olive Oil Fraud

January 26, 2009 2:37 PM

by Tiffany Maleshefski

Counterfeit handbags and Burberry scarves are pretty easy to spot, mainly because some dude doubling as a street performer on Union Square is the one selling the goods. The other indicator, however, is that the heavily discounted Hermes bag you are considering buying is not sold in Hermes.

OK, class, that one was easy, right?

Well, what happens when the counterfeit product is sold in respectable stores, on an entirely respectable retail shelf, side-by-side with completely respectable and legitimate products?

It's a little more confusing, of course, and a heck of a lot more cunning.

For a couple of years now, enterprising crooks have been fooling American consumers with fraudulent incarnations of extra virgin olive oil; diluting the pure, unadulterated, stuff with soybean, hazelnut, and peanut oils, cheapo vegetable oils, and even lampante. Also known as "lamp oil," lampante is the term used to describe the oil squeezed from olives that have fallen from the tree. In other words, the crappy discarded stuff that's been mashed around in the ground a bit. The impure product is then labeled "EVOO" and sold at a heavily discounted price, usually more than half the price of its authentic competitors.

And especially in this economy, where the idea of buying $25 bottles of olive oil isn't incredibly appetizing, spying a huge jug of the stuff on the bottom shelf for the bargain-basement rate of $9.99 seems like one amazingly awesome deal.

Except, chances are it's probably not the real thing.

Fraud in the industry was, not surprisingly, a hot topic at the Feast of the Olives dinner that took place in Sonoma over the weekend. One of many events held to celebrate the county's three-month olive festival was a massive, seven-course feast at Ramekins, the cooking school / bed and breakfast in Sonoma, where olive oil fraud was the slippery topic of the evening.

The event shed some light on the importance of Senate Bill 634, which aims to get down on paper legal definitions for "virgin," "extra-virgin" and "olive pomace" oil, among other things. (You can read more about the bill here.) The bill will also sets about enforce regulations similar to those overseen by the International Olive Oil Council based in Spain.

Olives are Sonoma Valley's second largest crop after grapes; in fact, Napa and Sonoma counties are home to 150 olive oil producers and 375 olive tree growers throughout the state. It's still only 1 percent of the 70 million gallons of olive oil this country consumes each year, but domestic olive oil isn't the issues. See, when olive oil is imported into the U.S. it's not super high on the FDA's radar for purity testing. So? A lot of devious oils gets through.

Enter savvy New Englander Luciano Sclafani, who has been blowing the lid on this whole EVOO shitstorm. If not for Sclafani, we could be guzzling a whole host of watered down oils, loaded with products we didn't mean to purchase. His company, Gus Sclafani Corp., sells all kinds of gourmet Italian products, like San Marzano tomatoes and pasta. The product nearest and dearest to his heart, however, is the one-liter bottles of Frantoia EVOO, which retails for $25. Scalfani believes in the product so much, he takes a shot of it everyday, and says its what keeps his hair full and luxurious at 62 years of age.

He sensed trouble when he saw a competitor's three-liter tin of "EVOO" selling for $9.99. Since then the FDA has cracked down on fake EVOO and seized more than 10,000 cases of olive oil from storage facilities in New York and New Jersey, worth more than $700,000 in 2007.

More than a commitment to keeping consumers safe from rip-offs, the regulations will keep consumers safe from possible allergic reactions that could happen if all the ingredients are not disclosed. Think nut oils. What's worse, if Sclafani is right on the whole hair-rejuvenation thing, there could be millions of men out there who are sucking down oil and finding themselves gaining thick waistlines instead of hairl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2011 8:28 PM

Lucini (or Luccini) contains added canola oil or other cheaper oils to its olive oil base??%0D %0D If true, I'm shocked. It costs $22.00 or $24.00 for the large bottle and $12.00 for the small bottle.%0D %0D R57, the Davis report specifically mention Lucini as having added cheaper oils?

by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2011 8:29 PM

r63, yes the UC Davis report mentions Lucini the link is the one that the OP linked on a pdf platform.

Yes it's fake, it failed the tests.

Buy the real stuff next time.

by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2011 8:34 PM

NO IT DOESN"T. Jesus. Read the fucking thing. 11% of the Lucini oil (2 bottles out of 11) tasted or smelled off to the testers. The same Lucini samples that didn't taste right also showed elevated levels of absorption of ultraviolet light, indicating that some of the oil had oxidized (spoiled).

That spoilage might have taken place anywhere along the distribution chain, even at the local market, if the olive oil was improperly stored.

This is poorly stored EVOO, not fake EVOO.

by Anonymousreply 65April 16, 2011 8:45 PM

Olive oil doesn't go off for 2 years - so if it's rancid or tastes bad it's probably older than 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 66April 16, 2011 8:55 PM

r65 read it again. They tested 18 bottles of Lucini Olive Oil. 11% failed both the sensory and taste tests which yes is 2 bottles.

Further down you'll see more analysis of Lucini.

33% of Lucini failed the DAG test & 28% failed the PPP test.

100% of the 2 Lucini bottles failed the K268 test which is the IOC (Int'l Olive Oil Council based in Italy - not the COOC).

by Anonymousreply 67April 16, 2011 9:03 PM

Thank goodness I have family who sends over the real deal. I haven't had to purchase it in years.

by Anonymousreply 68April 16, 2011 9:08 PM

R67, so what am I to think about the Lucini which I have been buying for a about a year?

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2011 9:11 PM

I am going to Italy next month and will be staying at a villa that has olive groves and presses their own olive oil at their olive mill. I think I'll bring back a few bottles.

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2011 9:13 PM

WHEN did olive oil become rocket science?

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2011 9:14 PM

R5, how is babby formed?

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2011 9:16 PM

[quote]33% of Lucini failed the DAG test & 28% failed the PPP test.

There was also failure of the PPP test in 11% of the California oil samples, and we know those are pure. The PPP and DAG flaws, could also be the result of ozidation. Hardly grounds to call Lucini "fake."

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2011 9:20 PM

r69 - Lucini is obviously untrustworthy according to all the tests. Use up what you have and buy another brand that is certified, lots of links on this thread about where to get the good stuff.

r71 - apparantly in Roman times they melted down lard, put some kind of green coloring in it and called it olive oil. There's been fake olive oil forever.

r70 - maybe you could link to the Villa here? People would love to buy that brand here in the USA.

What I read was that the smaller groves where everything is done by hand (possibly like the Italian Villa one person is going to stay at) is the best tasting olive oil according to some tests as well, something I read on the above links. The reason for the hand picking is so that you can take the olives just as they change color, which requires labor intensive work.

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2011 9:24 PM

r73 read it again. The 11% PPP failure of Lucini is based on the IOC test which the California Olive Ranch passed. TABLE 3

TABLE 4 is where COR - 11% PPP failure, yet LUCINI is 28% failure on that test, of all the brands the California Olive Ranch had the lowest failure amt, while Lucini, Cabram, Berio, Bertolli, Colavita, Star & Pompeian all had higher amts of failure on that test. TABLE 4 is the German test.

UC Davis only tested the biggest sellers, the ONLY California olive oil they tested in this last test was the popular California Olive Oil Ranch which is COOC certified. All the rest are imports and huge sellers.

by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2011 9:31 PM

The real deal:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2011 9:33 PM

I can vouch for this place - great stuff. And approved. Plus the guy who owns it is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 16, 2011 9:34 PM

More good info:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2011 9:35 PM

Agree with r77 everything at weolive is COOC certified.

by Anonymousreply 79April 16, 2011 9:36 PM

Thanks R77. A lot of good information on that site.

What is Extra Virgin?

In order to ensure that you are getting quality olive oil you should only buy Extra virgin Olive oil. Unfortunately the United States has no regulation about the labeling of products as extra virgin olive oil. Most of what is found in the typical grocery store would not qualify as extra virgin olive oil. One way to ensure you are getting a quality product is to look for the California Olive Oil Council (COOC) seal. Visit the COOC web site for more information.

In order to ensure the customers of We Olive that they are getting only the best olive oil, We Olive will only carry oils that have the COOC seal. The seal ensures that the oil meets certain standards. These standards are used to ensure a fresh, quality olive oil. All sealed oil meet the following requirements:

* Olives mechanically extracted without chemicals or excessive heat.

* Less than .5% free oleic acid

* Positive taste elements and no taste defects, as determined during a blind tasting.

Way more FAQs at link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 16, 2011 9:45 PM

Wow.

"California Olive Oils have regulation standards compared to European olive oils. At the moment foreign olive oil sold in the United States, have no guarantee of quality. Most olive oils in the stores today are not extra virgin and probably are not even 100% olive oil. Many of the 'imported extra virgin olive oils' that you see in the stores today is hazelnut oil mixed with some olive oil and most likely has been chemically processed with benzene or other chemicals. We Olive sells only the highest quality extra virgin olive oil. Beginning in 2009 all olive oils in We olive will be certified by the California Olive Oil Council."

by Anonymousreply 81April 16, 2011 9:45 PM

[quote][R73] read it again. The 11% PPP failure of Lucini is based on the IOC test which the California Olive Ranch passed. TABLE 3

No. Table 3 does not address PPP and the IOC does not test it.

The PPP and PAG tests are under the German/Australian standards shown in Table 4. Both COR and Lucini show some failures. I think both failure rates reflect oxidation somewhere along the production./distribution chain.

It is fair to say the COR-financed study shows COR to be marginally more reliable than Lucini. It is not fair to say it shows Lucini to be "fake"

by Anonymousreply 82April 16, 2011 9:46 PM

r82 I'm looking at Table 3 right now. It says "IOC chemical tests show low failure rates for most brands".

It shows Lucini as the third one down with the 11% failure on the K268 test. Look again at the original link.

by Anonymousreply 83April 16, 2011 9:52 PM

The K268 test shown in TABLE 3 is not the PPP test you are talking about. It is the UV test I mentioned in R65.

by Anonymousreply 84April 16, 2011 9:57 PM

r81 the problem is that while the laws are on the books there is currently no real enforcement of keeping the quality and purity of olive oil out in California, hence the reliance on the COOC, which is a private organization but does testing, and the UC Davis Olive Oil Center which does testing as well.

Producers that violate the law by mixing their oil with canola don't really have anything to fear, unless they are members of the COOC, which tests all their members oils.

Places like Stonehouse, available in NYC and at many Farmer's Markets used to be a member of the COOC but for some reason their certification got pulled. The fact that they're so ubiquitous gives me pause and makes me think that they're mixing their oil with canola or something else. Why else were they once part of the COOC & now not?

by Anonymousreply 85April 16, 2011 10:12 PM

R85, what non-californian olive oil would want to belong to COOC when COOC-sponsored results report all non-COOC olive oil as 'most probably' canola oil?

Sorry, but COOC sounds like The Better Business Bureau - pay for a listing.

Also, 10% failure rate on COOC certified products? How fucking lax is that? You're talking about olive oil produced within one state - not the scary turkish (muslimoid) oil with mob ties.

Too many code words in the study. Surprised they haven't dragged Mexican drug mules into the study. Oh, yeah...they're the ones processing the oil at below-minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 86April 16, 2011 10:36 PM

So here's an article from 2010 at the link that says the only imported EVOO that passed 3 out of 3 tests, the ones the CA EVOOs passed is Kirkland Organic.%0D %0D If it passed I don't get why it's not real EVOO and is canola oil.%0D %0D Is it or isn't it real?%0D %0D If you Google Kirkland Organic EVOO there are many other articles saying the Kirkland organic was the only import to pass, is there something somewhere that says this year it's fake?%0D %0D I mean to me it tastes like shit but it's certainly affordable but what good is that if it's fake.%0D %0D I don't know if I should keep buying it or not. I can't afford expensive EVOO and I use a lot of what I think is EVOO. I use it for sauteing, and roasting and vinaigrettes. Am I eating unhealthy shit?%0D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 17, 2011 12:22 AM

This is the faggiest argument ever. It's like the queen equivalent of Michfest cilantro war.

by Anonymousreply 88April 17, 2011 3:21 AM

r87 Steve Cotler's story came from July but I can't figure out the year. I'm sure it's on the PDF, but I don't recall that Costco Organic was real on *any* of the lists.....he is one of those jack-of-all-trades master of none type of people if you look at his bio but he specializes in software and writing for Hollywood. Not exactly an olive oil expert.

r86 UCD did test Supermarket brands that are popular...so what? The results are in the pdf's if you look. Also COR did well but not perfectly as was discussed earlier in the thread.

Further r86 if you knew anything about olives or growing olives, California is the only state in the USA which can grow olive trees that produce olives. They are experimenting in Texas with doing it, but it's only certain varieties that even make it there.

r88 I love your humor, seriously. This thread needs it.

by Anonymousreply 89April 17, 2011 7:21 AM

Determining if your Olive Oil is actually Extra Virgin requires a vegicological examination.

by Anonymousreply 90April 17, 2011 1:52 PM

While checking out the olive oil selection today at Walmart, I was shocked to see "California Olive Ranch" on the shelf. Cost was $6.64/500 ml bottle for both EVOO and Arbequina EVOO, which sell for $10.49 and $13.99 on their website. I had just read this thread and couldn't believe it!

by Anonymousreply 91April 17, 2011 9:23 PM

Where is a list of COOC olive oils?%0D %0D I will buy from that list.%0D %0D It doesn't have to be a full list - a partial list will do.%0D %0D Please just simplify and provide us a list of COOC olive oils that are real reliable olive oils.%0D %0D I will order thru the mail. This discussion is confusing. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 92April 17, 2011 9:50 PM

R91, meaning? This thread is so long and difficult and contradictory.%0D %0D Calif Olive Ranch - meaning what? That is is one of the fake or mixture olive oils?

by Anonymousreply 93April 17, 2011 9:51 PM

Eat your veggies raw.

by Anonymousreply 94April 18, 2011 12:05 AM

We became so exhausted by substandard olive oil that we simply started growing our own olives and pressing our own fruit for oil. The results are labor-intensive and probably beyond the financial resources of many people, but worth it when it comes to the quality of what is presented on our table and in our food.

by Anonymousreply 95April 18, 2011 12:26 AM

Here ya go R92

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 18, 2011 12:32 AM

Extra virgin olive oil is a wonderful condiment but its low smoking point and high cost make it unsuitable for cooking.

The fact is, when you heat cold pressed extra virgin olive oil you negate any benefits of the cold pressing. If you must use olive oil for cooking, you might as well start with one press using the cheaper hot press extraction.

The women who insist on cooking with "EVOO" on TV cooking shows are clueless rubes who have no idea how to cook or how ingredients perform.

by Anonymousreply 97April 18, 2011 12:36 AM

What does Consumer Reports say about this?

by Anonymousreply 98April 18, 2011 12:37 AM

(Thanks, R89, for taking it the right way.)

by Anonymousreply 99April 18, 2011 4:39 AM

R93-Yes, California Olive Ranch is COOC certified and real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 18, 2011 12:06 PM

I agree with R97 & I don't cook with extra virgin. Is regular olive oil subject to these same concerns? Are some brands of that just canola oil?

by Anonymousreply 101April 18, 2011 12:27 PM

I used to date a goil named Olive and when I fuxed her...oh never you mind

by Anonymousreply 102April 18, 2011 12:52 PM

[quote]What does Consumer Reports say about this?

Oddly, nothing. I just did a search of their online site. Could be that this type of chemical analysis is outside of their lab's capability, but I would think they could at least put the info out there in a generic sense.

by Anonymousreply 103April 18, 2011 2:59 PM

Thank you, r97. Someone finally gets it.%0D %0D There are a few times you want that strong flavor in cooking and using evoo is appropriate. But for most frying, the regular olive oil is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 104April 18, 2011 4:03 PM

R101, the reason EVOO has such a low smoking point is that it has thousands of microscopic bits of olive in it. Heated to too high a temperature, those bits of olive smoke and burn.

By the time they get around to producing just plain ol' olive oil, those microscopic bits of olive have all been pushed through. The resulting oil is much lighter in color and flavor, and has a higher smoking point.

So, you can indeed cook and even deep-fry with regular olive oil (not EVOO), but in this country even the plain stuff is kinda pricey, so you're throwing your money away. I use a combination of peanut oil and lard for my deep-frying. For regular sauteeing I use a combination of butter and peanut oil.

by Anonymousreply 105April 18, 2011 4:21 PM

There are health benefits to using olive oil for frying. I'm pretty sure they don't come with lard.

by Anonymousreply 106April 18, 2011 4:30 PM

Just to be certain here:

Are NO imported EVOO's whatsoever (Greece, Spain, Italy) to be considered "real", whatever the retail prices?

by Anonymousreply 107April 18, 2011 4:54 PM

R106, we're not talking about lard from a supermarket. I'm talking about fresh, locally produced lard. There are definitely health benefits to it.

by Anonymousreply 108April 18, 2011 5:02 PM

Again, it is not necessarily a question of real vs. fake. It is a question of quality. If you are obsessive about EVOO quality and in the US, it is advisable to buy a certified California oil because that certification is the only real quality control in this country.

I'm not obsessive about EVOO. I'm just generally obsessive when it comes to the quality of things I buy. I will get some California EVOO for salad dressings and drizzlings, etc, and use supermarket olive oil for frying.

by Anonymousreply 109April 18, 2011 5:13 PM

IOW, California devised a QC Rating, and rates only California olive oils. How conveeenient.

Thus, an oil from, say, Lucca, Italy, purchased in Zabar's could be of a higher actual quality than a CA EVOO, r109, but without the COOC sticker.

Too bad the automobile, steel, and electronics industries didn't think of this.

by Anonymousreply 110April 18, 2011 6:28 PM

[quote]Thus, an oil from, say, Lucca, Italy, purchased in Zabar's could be of a higher actual quality than a CA EVOO, [R109], but without the COOC sticker.

Certainly.

The COOC is a trade group to promote California Olive Oil. Of course it does not certify oil from other places.

by Anonymousreply 111April 18, 2011 6:47 PM

So, the foreign olive oil been getting fucked but the cali stuff still got its cherry?

by Anonymousreply 112April 18, 2011 7:01 PM

What happens if you put canola oil in the refrigerator? Does it go opaque or just stay clear. I never buy canola oil so I don't know. Is real EVOO the only oil that gets opaque when cold?

by Anonymousreply 113April 19, 2011 3:05 AM

[quote]I'm talking about fresh, locally produced lard.

Well get a load of [italic]her[/italic]. She's talking about the kind of lard the [italic]Queen[/italic] uses.

by Anonymousreply 114April 19, 2011 3:14 AM

Just adding to thread watcher because my old acct is super screwed up....

by Anonymousreply 115June 14, 2011 1:43 AM

I prefer olive oil with a questionable past anyway.

by Anonymousreply 116June 14, 2011 1:50 AM

The best olive oil I have ever tasted comes from my brother in law's father. He brings some back from Greece in old wine bottles a few times a year. This adds nothing to this discussion I realize but I just got another bottle from him on the weekend and am very happy.%0D %0D I say if it tastes good to you then it is the right olive oil for you.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 117June 14, 2011 2:21 AM

No bias here! My grandparents were from Greece and settled in the Sacramento Valley in olive country. I also studied biology and chemistry (but not AG!) at UC Davis. The Davis lab tests are authentic. I'd heard about counterfeit imports recently, but not in detail until the first DL thread about this.

I can say that California Ranch brand EVOO is from a collective of pesticide-free ranchers who use green farming practices, and there are nothing but miles and miles of olive orchards in that area (Colusa, Tehema, and Glenn counties) -- and not a canola to be found! Not that I've ever seen a canola.

To be honest, I can't tell the taste difference between one type of oil to another.

But for those in N. America, buying California olive oil supports sustainable land-use practices and doesn't need to be shipped over from another continent.

by Anonymousreply 118June 14, 2011 6:17 AM

Bitches say what you will about olive oil being expensive but canola oils are made of chemicals. And peanut oil is a device designed by Cheryl to kill us all. Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 119June 14, 2011 7:17 AM

So what is the best type of oil to use for general cooking?

by Anonymousreply 120June 14, 2011 5:40 PM

Define general cooking R120.

Frying?

Deep frying?

Sauteeing?

There really is no such thing as 'general' cooking.

by Anonymousreply 121June 14, 2011 5:56 PM

So a university in California discovered that only California olive oil is reliable?

Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 122June 14, 2011 6:00 PM

You are right, R21

I am asking both for the healthiest type of oil with a smoke temperature high enough to do all the types of cooking on your list, except saute, for which I use butter.

by Anonymousreply 123June 14, 2011 6:10 PM

Then you need either grapeseed or peanut oil.

by Anonymousreply 124June 14, 2011 6:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!