Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Benadryl to help me sleep...

I've been working 14-hour days and then coming home, eating, and falling into a fitful sleep. I often wake up at 3 or 4 am with a start, nervous and scrolling through a mental to-do list. Last night, fed up and tired, I took Benadryl and it lulled me into a pretty nice slumber. I had a solid 8 hrs sleep. I'm tempted to take it again tonight. Would it be ... so bad?

by Sharon Tater Totreply 6511/19/2012

I take one sometimes too.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 204/12/2011

As sleep aids go, Benadryl is pretty benign. The only side-effect I have from it is very intense dreams.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 304/12/2011

My doctor told me I could do this if I ever have trouble sleeping. Except I don't, and I didn't even bring it up. It was sort of weird. In the context of the conversation, I think he was making the point that a lot of the over-the-counter medicines work as well as expensive prescriptions. Or maybe he owns Benadryl stock. Either way, I think it's OK if you use it every once in a while.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 604/12/2011

I was goring through a rough patch a few years ago, and I was having trouble sleeping. I asked my doc for sleeping pills. he wouldn't write a prescription. He said just to take Benadryl. I guess it's an effective sleep aid.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 704/12/2011

One - and only one - Tylenol PM works pretty good. Take two and you might be a zombie next morning. %0D

by Sharon Tater Totreply 804/12/2011

That is the sleep aid of choice for Peace Corps volunteers serving in hotter then hell climates. It is very very difficult to sleep when it is 100+ degrees. Benadryl can be safely taken daily. It does not create the same dependency as other sleep aids and can be taken long term.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 904/12/2011

I can take two Benadryl and nothing happens.

I started taking it for my allergies before I went to bed, but over time I've built up a tolerance for them and they don't do anything for me now.

OP, don't take them unless you need them.

R8, Tylenol PM is Tylenol with the same ingredient as Benadryl. The OP would be better off just taking Benadryl.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1004/12/2011

I take a generic for Benedryl -- diphenhydramoline HCl -- every night. Safe, effective, lovely.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1104/12/2011

I take 75 mg Diphenhydramine and 600mg ibuprofen each an hour before bedtime when I can get 8hrs of sleep. Like a babe...

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1204/12/2011

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1304/12/2011

[quote]Tylenol PM is Tylenol with the same ingredient as Benadryl. The OP would be better off just taking Benadryl.%0D %0D Why would the OP be better off taking acetaminophen which can be harmful to the kidneys and liver when he/she doesn't need it? Just take the Benadryl (diphenhydramine) if that's all you need. Take a half and see if that works so you don't need as much.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1404/12/2011

I take melatonin most weeknights. The best thing is no benadryl-type hangover the next day.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1504/12/2011

Benadryl contains the same active ingredient as Dramamine (Diphenhydramine)

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1604/12/2011

r14, you should take the time to read properly.%0D %0D You just agreed with what r10 said, even though you thought that you were correcting him.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1704/12/2011

Sorry, I meant to copy and reference r8's quote. I stand corrected.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1804/12/2011

How odd - I've had trouble getting to sleep for 25 years and not one doctor has ever suggested that I take Benadryl.%0D %0D I don't know what to think about why this has never been suggested to me.%0D %0D I've been taking Amiltrypilene nightly for at least 15 or 20 years.%0D %0D You take it a couple of hours before bedtime and then it makes you sleepy, but not real sleepy. Sometimes it doesn't work, but a lot of the time it works well.%0D %0D It's an old fashioned out-of-date anti-depression medication which doctors now prescribe to make insomniacs sleepy.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 1904/12/2011

Melatonin gives me a horrible headache the next day, but valerian works pretty well without that side effect. And less hangover than from antihistamines.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2104/12/2011

All people are different but give melatonin or Benedryl a try, r19. Could save you some money.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2204/12/2011

Don't do it, OP. You'll wind up much worse off in the long run.%0D %0D If you're going to take something to help with sleep, at least take something that's not going to mess you up -- melatonin is a good way to go as the others suggested.%0D %0D But you really need to exercise and eat properly and deal with outstanding emotional issues if you want to have decent sleep.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2304/12/2011

"Why hasn't anybody mentioned Melatonin ?"

Check out R15, Ray Charles.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2404/12/2011

[quote]I was goring through a rough patch a few years ago

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2504/12/2011

I take Melatonin every night and it works wonderfully. I was hooked on Tylenol PM for awhile, I'm glad I got out of that habit. I have an Ambien prescription that's gathering dust, it gives me a terrible hangover feeling the next day.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2604/12/2011

[quote] I have an Ambien prescription that's gathering dust, it gives me a terrible hangover feeling the next day.

That's not from the Ambien, it's from all of the sleep drinking you do after taking it.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2704/12/2011

r27 I did eat half a carton if ice cream in bed one night and had no recollection of it, and yelled at my boyfriend the next night when I saw the ice cream was gone. He had to tell me that he'd watched me sit there eating the stuff like a zombie the night before. I'm sure it was one of my more attractive moments.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2804/12/2011

I take half a Benadryl to help me get to sleep, and a 100mg 5-HTP to help me stay asleep. I sleep fantastically every night. 5-HTP is available from any Walgreens or CVS.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 2904/12/2011

Melatonin is great. No groggy feeling the next day. But really weird dreams. Ambien works fast, but after 5 hours I'm wide awake. It's good for flights overseas.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3004/12/2011

8 tips to help you get a better sleep:%0D %0D %0D Eight ways to get a better sleep %0D %0D LESLIE BECK - Published Tuesday, Apr. 12, 2011 4:06PM EDT%0D %0D While one or two cups of coffee can boost mental alertness, drinking more can overstimulate your central nervous system and cause insomnia. %0D %0D But studies have also found that drinking as few as two small cups of coffee can affect the quality of sleep. Caffeine blocks the action of adenosine, a sleep-inducing brain chemical. %0D %0D If you have insomnia, cut caffeine eight hours before bedtime. Consume no more than 200 milligrams of caffeine a day, or preferably none. %0D %0D One eight-ounce cup of regular coffee has 80 to 175 milligrams of caffeine; the same amount of tea has 45 milligrams. Other sources of caffeine include cola, energy drinks, dark chocolate and certain over-the-counter pain relievers (e.g. Midol, Excedrin, Anacin). %0D %0D Avoid alcohol %0D %0D There%E2%80%99s no question that alcohol can disrupt sleep, causing you to wake up in the middle of the night. It also dehydrates you, which can worsen fatigue the next day. %0D %0D If you have sleep apnea, drinking alcohol can make your throat muscles relax more than normal, increasing the chance of airways becoming blocked. %0D %0D If you suffer from insomnia, avoid alcohol for a few weeks to see if your sleep improves. If you do drink, limit your intake to one alcoholic drink a day (e.g. five ounces of wine, 1.5 ounces of sprits, 12 ounces of beer). Drink alcohol with a meal rather than on an empty stomach. %0D %0D Avoid late-night meals %0D %0D Eat your evening meal at least three hours before bedtime to prevent digestive upset that can keep you awake. %0D %0D Research also suggests the more fat you eat at your evening meal, the more likely you are to experience sleep disruptions, so keep your meal lean. If you have heartburn, avoid spicy meals that can trigger symptoms and prevent a good night%E2%80%99s sleep. %0D %0D Curb fluids %0D %0D Stop drinking fluids two hours before bed. This will reduce the likelihood of needing to get up in the night to go to the bathroom. %0D %0D Eat a bedtime snack %0D %0D A small carbohydrate-rich snack, such as a glass of skim milk, a small bowl of cereal, a slice of toast, or a piece of fruit provides the brain with tryptophan, an amino acid used to manufacture serotonin. Among its many effects, serotonin helps facilitate sleep. %0D %0D Lose excess weight %0D %0D Fat deposits around the upper airway can obstruct breathing during sleep. Losing 10 per cent of your body weight %E2%80%93 22 pounds for a 220-pound man %E2%80%93 can greatly reduce the number of sleep apnea episodes a night. %0D %0D Get moving %0D %0D Regular exercise helps you fall asleep faster, promotes weight loss and relieves stress. Exercise at least three hours before bedtime. Working out right before bed can make falling asleep more difficult. %0D %0D Consider supplements %0D %0D Valerian is one of the most popular and widely studied herbal remedies for short-term treatment of insomnia. It%E2%80%99s thought to promote sleep by interacting with certain brain receptors. %0D %0D The recommended dose of valerian is 400 to 900 milligrams a day taken two hours before bedtime. Several nights to a few weeks may be needed for it to work. %0D %0D Short-term use of melatonin may also be effective for improving sleep, especially in older adults. The recommended dose is 0.3 to five milligrams at bedtime. %0D %0D Speak to your pharmacist or health-care provider to see if either supplement is right for you.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3104/12/2011

Melatonin makes me sleep nicely, but I wake up about 3 hours later, refreshed. I've heard that happens with many people. It has something to do with circadian rhythms?

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3204/12/2011

r27 are you serious?

What i think is funny on these threads about sleeping is why NO ONE ever asks OP, how much caffeine are you consuming in a day.

I had a friend bitching about not sleeping then one day i was hanging out with her and watched her drink what amount to a pot of coffee over the course of the afternoon. It never occurred to her to reduce or eliminate caffeine for a week and see how she sleeps.

Coffee, teas, sodas, energy drinks, diet pills, etc. All have caffeine. A lot of people don't realize how much they consume and how much it really affects your sleep.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3304/12/2011

Oops, forgot to mention:%0D %0D I drink lemon balm tea when I need a little help sleeping. It works wonders.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3404/12/2011

That's right, R33. And many people drink Diet Coke, and forget that even though they aren't consuming sugar, they are indeed consuming caffeine.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3504/12/2011

Benadryl is what my doc told me to try after a few really bizarre Ambien episodes. It works great and no side-effects or long term addictions.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3604/13/2011

Take 2 tablespoons and you'll be relaxed all day. Last time I was sick I misread the dosage and took that. It was nice...I was so tempted to make it a habit, but i like my liver.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3704/13/2011

...oops I think it was Benylin.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3804/13/2011

Uh, I think that Benadryl is the active ingredient in Tylenol PM and other such drugs. Dyphenhydramine, the generic version of Benadryl.

If you don't suffer side effects from it, you can take it daily, OP. Some people have problems with it. For instance, it gives me hallucinations.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 3904/13/2011

Valerian extract and 300 mg of magnesium citrate. Sleep like a baby.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4004/13/2011

Um OP, just out of curiosity, how much caffeine do you intake per day?

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4104/13/2011

Who gives a rat's ass what you do, OP?

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4204/13/2011

My doctor suggested it for me. I ended up taking handfuls of them. So if you have addiction issues, talk it over with a professional.

I now get terrible anxiety the next day if I take even one, so I don't take any.

They can make you impotent short-term, but probably only if you are abusing them.

I have heard that Benedryl is a cousin of the benzos. Anyone heard that one?

Melatonin gets me the trots.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4304/13/2011

Benadryl is a great sleep aid, BUT, when you start feeling you will fall asleep, do it then. Don't keep reading, watching tv, etc. Hit the lights and go or you will miss your window.%0D %0D The reason MD's don't mention it is simple - it doesn't put any money into their fucking pockets because it's OTC.%0D %0D However, someone told me that taking too many to help with sleep can cause you to stop breathing. So who the fuck knows. It helps me.%0D %0D

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4404/13/2011

I love to treat myself to a Benadryl when I can sleep in and sleep it off. However, diphenhydramine and all other antihistamines give me hemorrhoid issues the following day (Zyrtec is the worst about this). Anybody else experience this?

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4504/13/2011

Heed R44's warning; s/he is exactly right:

[quote]Benadryl is a great sleep aid, BUT, when you start feeling you will fall asleep, do it then. Don't keep reading, watching tv, etc. Hit the lights and go or you will miss your window.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4604/13/2011

R45, how can you develop hemmorhoids out of the blue? They either develop or not, or heal or not. One use of benadryl will not cause a hemmorhoid over night.%0D %0D What do you mean exactly?

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4704/13/2011

Diphenhydramine is not a great sleeping pill. It does work short-term for some people, but it is very drying on the nasal passages and has other side effects.%0D %0D Occasional use is fine, but building up a tolerance to the sedative effect is not unusual. If you need something long-term, Trazodone is usually a better choice and is safer.%0D %0D

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4804/13/2011

[quote] If you need something long-term, Trazodone is usually a better choice and is safer.

Be VERY careful with Trazodone, if you are prone to nasal congestion. I have very bad allergies and regularly have congestion, but Trazodone gave me the worst, scariest case of stuffy nose I have ever experienced. I woke up because I was choking from being unable to breathe through my nose. I actually had two panic attacks during sleep, because I couldn't get enough air--but I was the hypnotic effect of the drug kept me from waking immediately. But I didn't connect it with the Trazodone at first.

Finally I told my doctor about it, and he took me off the drug.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 4904/13/2011

Benedryl at night makes my legs dance around in bed. I kick my partner and end up groggy and on the couch.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5004/13/2011

I've had insomnia on & off for 20 years & have tried a lot of sleep aids.

Benadryl: works, but (no matter what the label says) I find it mildly addictive--if I take it for more than one night, the 1st night without it is sleepless. Since it's a decongestant, it also dehydrates & constipates me if I'm taking it over several days.

Ambien: bleh...puts to me sleep for an hour, tops.

Valerian: can work, but I build a tolerance & it's not consistently effective. (The same is true for 5HTP)

Pot: works like a charm, but realistically, not the best choice.

What usually works in the end is letting the insomnia run its course--a few days of little sleep won't kill me & usually my body decides it's time to re-energize. It's when the insomnia starts to stretch into a week or more that I start seeking a little helper.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5104/13/2011

I had a nightmare ,I'm trying to sleep and I just don't want no bad dreams or nightmares ,so I'm thinking I should take a Benadryl but wondering if I would sleep the rest of the night without nightmares?

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5211/19/2012

I've struggled to sleep since I was a kid. I've used lots of OTC sleeping meds, but I adapt to them all within a week or so, and then it's like taking aspirin. I tried Ambien, and it actually had no effect on me.

Recently though I've discovered a perfect pairing: 3mg Melatonin with 25mg diphenhydramine (Benadryl or any generic). I take them around 10:30, and I can barely hold my head up by 1:30-2:00.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5311/19/2012

An Advil PM works for me most of the time, and most of the time I only have to take 1/4 of a tablet

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5411/19/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5511/19/2012

Concurring with the people who say to take advantage of the Benadryl "window" when you get sleepy -- to me it's like a wave that comes along, and you either ride it into shore or end up bobbing in the waves all night.

I've never taken Ambien -- just too many crazy stories about what people do in the middle of the night, and people just shrug them off. Falling down stairs, "sleep driving"... it's all too weird for me.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5611/19/2012

Benadryl is not harmless. It builds up tolerance very quickly -- if you take it for just 3 days you will need to up the dosage.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5711/19/2012

Benadryl isn't harmless. You are harming your liver....STOP before you do serious damage!

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5811/19/2012

You should take any medications necessary in order to get a good night's sleep.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 5911/19/2012

by Sharon Tater Totreply 6011/19/2012

by Sharon Tater Totreply 6111/19/2012

Nobody needs to be taking any sleep medication long term. Diphenhydramine is enough, and will work for OP's problem like it works for mine.

I just buy the off-brand bottle that sits next to the Tylenol PM.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 6211/19/2012

Propofol always worked wonders for me.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 6311/19/2012

You can give a smaller child or an animal over 10 pounds a benadryl 25 so it is safe. I would not take more than 25 at a time.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 6411/19/2012

Get a new job. Removing the stress helps.

by Sharon Tater Totreply 6511/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!