Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stars Who Are Really Awful At Talk Shows/Interviews

The shy, the awkward, the dull. Name 'em.

Robert De Niro is pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 10702/17/2015

I recently saw Michael Vartan on Craig Ferguson. Man, was he dull and awkward.

by Anonymousreply 104/12/2011

Harrison Ford is bad, but in an entertaining way

by Anonymousreply 204/12/2011

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 304/12/2011

Patricia Clarkson

by Anonymousreply 404/12/2011

Debra Winger - I saw her on David Letterman years ago. It was a painfully awkward segment.

by Anonymousreply 504/12/2011

Kristen Stewart might be the worst, and not in an entertaining way.

The last time I saw her on Letterman they got into a really terse discussion and it looked like Letterman wanted to kill her! Awkward. The rest of the times I've seen her interviewed she's just glum, sullen and looks like she doesn't want to be there.

by Anonymousreply 604/12/2011

Rupert Grint was awful when he (last?) appeared on Craig Ferguson.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 704/12/2011

%0D No one strikes me as more awkward on talk shows than Tom Cruise. The laughs always feel forced, the stories contrived. He comes across completely disingenuous.%0D %0D Whatever his real story is, I'm always surprised that for someone who has been a huge star for nearly 30 years and done countless interviews, he still appears nervous and unsure of himself.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 804/12/2011

Shannyn Sossamon on Craig Kilborn was the weirdest interview I've ever seen. Either she was really nervous or she was high.

by Anonymousreply 904/12/2011

Kristin Chenoweth's solid-steel sledgehammer perkiness killed my fandom.

by Anonymousreply 1004/12/2011

Robert DeNiro is bad at anything except acting. His performance on SNL a while back was painful.%0D %0D Matthew Broderick is another who is not a good talk show guest. He always seems uncomfortable and hesitant. It's a shame because I've heard him speak to a small group and he was actually very charming and funny. Doesn't come across that way in interviews though. %0D %0D Joaquin Phoenix.....I'll leave it alone...

by Anonymousreply 1104/12/2011

Regarding DeNiro, it seems that he's recently begun to appear on talk shows with his co-stars to put him out of his misery. I saw him on Letterman last year with Dustin Hoffman when they were pushing the latest Focker debacle and a few weeks ago, he was on Jimmy Fallon with Bradly Cooper. Both times, he usually sits there, looking like he's in hell while the other guy does most of the talking.

by Anonymousreply 1204/12/2011

DeNiro's acceptance speech at some recent awards show (was it the GGs?) was one of the worst things I've seen in a long time. He is insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 1304/12/2011

Yes, that was the Golden Globes. He received the Cecil B DeMille award and it was quite painful:

by Anonymousreply 1404/12/2011

Kristen Stewart, Letterman '08:

by Anonymousreply 1504/12/2011

Kristen Stewart, Letterman '10:

by Anonymousreply 1604/12/2011

Kristen Stewart, Regis & Kelly June, '10:

by Anonymousreply 1704/12/2011

Kristen Stewart, Regis & Kelly October, 2010:

by Anonymousreply 1804/12/2011

Kristen Stewart, Letterman '10:

by Anonymousreply 1904/12/2011

Yes, thank you. We got your point after the first video.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2004/12/2011

R20 = Kristen Stewart

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2011

George Lopez told a bunch of TV critics that someone from The Human Target was not a great interview.%0D %0D The title character someone asked?%0D %0D He put his finger on his nose.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2204/12/2011

Kim Raver when she was on the Carson Daly show five or six years ago promoting 24. She was putting on airs the whole time. She wasn't comfortable. It loked like she wanted the interview to be over. I never thought that Kim Raver ever liked doing interviews.%0D %0D Stana Katic was another one. She was on the Jimmy Fallon show. Stana was boring Jimmy Fallon to the point that she wanted to be done with the interview.

by Anonymousreply 2304/12/2011

After all those years of hearing what a gem Terri Garr was on Letterman, I saw her on the Bonnie Hunt show a few years back and she came across worse than dull drywall. I know she'd been sick, but she seemed physically fine even as Bonnie panicked and started talking faster and louder until they cut to commercial.

by Anonymousreply 2404/12/2011

Robert De Niro can't string more than 5 words together if he's not someone else. Yet, the moment he becomes someone else, he's a linguistic genius. %0D %0D For Godfather II, he learned how to speak fluent Sicilian in less than two weeks, including proper inflection, gestures, etc.%0D %0D I find him endearing, but what does that say about him? Painfully shy?? %0D %0D I love shy guys! If only I could figure out how to break the shell.

by Anonymousreply 2504/12/2011

Matt LeBlanc. He is the complete opposite of his character on Friends. He looks like he rather be anywhere in the world than on a talk show, and pissed off at the show for asking him there. %0D %0D Billy Bob Thorton. No explanation needed.

by Anonymousreply 2604/12/2011

Crispin Glover

by Anonymousreply 2704/12/2011

Joachim Phoenix, even when he is not trying to act crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2804/12/2011

I recall an awful Laura Linney segment on Letterman. She was way overdressed and way too made up. Even her hair was over the top. She had little to say beyond "yes" and "no."%0D %0D Does Denzel Washington still do TV interviews? You can tell that he hates every second of it. He has a few canned anectodes that he delivers well, but that's it, nothing more. Don't go "off script" when questioning him or you'll suffer the silent glare.

by Anonymousreply 2904/12/2011

Brendan Fraser is also very awkward.

by Anonymousreply 3004/12/2011

Madonna is really dull in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 3104/12/2011

R29, he has a major attitude. He got nasty with someone talking to him he got his age wrong but just a few years. I saw the video. He needs to get over himself.

by Anonymousreply 3204/12/2011

How could we have missed Chris Brown?

by Anonymousreply 3304/12/2011

Marlee Matlin is terrible on talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 3404/12/2011

I meant to say 'who got his age wrong by just a few years'.

by Anonymousreply 3504/12/2011

Helen Keller

by Anonymousreply 3604/12/2011

Anderson Cooper is not very interesting on his own show.

by Anonymousreply 3704/12/2011

Robin Williams owns this thread. His interviews are obnoxiously cringe-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 3804/12/2011

Agreed, R38. And he always interrupts the other guests because he must have the attention be on him, even if what he is saying is related to what the other guest is discussing.

by Anonymousreply 3904/12/2011

Robert Pattinson owns his thread.

by Anonymousreply 4004/12/2011

r34 Marlee Matlin is actually pretty good on a talk show. Much better than others mentioned here.

by Anonymousreply 4104/12/2011

Jonathan Rhys Meyers earlier in his career was a lot more fun on TV interviews as opposed to recent years where he tries too hard to be an all around good regular joe. He also puts on airs. Whereas he's much more interesting and likeable as the charming Irish scamp middle school dropout. The downside was that he would come across rather camp. His PR agents probably quashed it.

by Anonymousreply 4204/12/2011

Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 4304/13/2011

David Lynch on the Jay Leno show.

The audience were laughing at him. Awkward.

by Anonymousreply 4404/13/2011

Robert Pattinson is awful. I've seen him on one of the talk shows, and he just could not stop mumbling. And I was just amazed how he managed to mumble his way through without answering every single of the questions - NOT in a so-smart-as-to-avoid-unwanted-inquiries, but in a my-life-sucks-and-I-am-just-not-as-smart-as-I-look-in-films kind of way. I was so turned off that I decided not to watch any more TV for the rest of the day. Traumatized......

by Anonymousreply 4504/13/2011

I have a group vote: the cast of Twilight on Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 4604/13/2011

sean connery.

by Anonymousreply 4704/13/2011

Pattinson on Jon Stewart was just awful. I think he giggled the whole time and didn't answer one question. Stewart looked bored by the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 4804/13/2011

Recent radio interview with Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He's actually fine in it but note the change in his accent, tone, etc. compared to his interview with Ferguson.

by Anonymousreply 4904/14/2011

Bow Wow%0D %0D Li'l Wayne%0D %0D Method Man

by Anonymousreply 5004/14/2011

Kristen Stewart

by Anonymousreply 5104/14/2011

Val Kilmer

by Anonymousreply 5207/11/2013

Heath Ledger was terrible. Good for him, I'd say.

DiCaprio is a disaster. He does sound like someone who has no education whatosever.

by Anonymousreply 5307/11/2013

Brad Pitt used to be terrible

by Anonymousreply 5407/11/2013

Nicolaj Coster Waldau the guy who plays Jamie Lannister. really bad. He's improves somewhat, but a remember seeing him on Letterman right after Game of Thrones Season 1 was a hit, and he was just terrible. Same with Kit Harrington. Really shy, awkward, and trying very hard to seem interesting. Harrington had nothing to say, was boring as shit.

As far as really awful, I also put people in this category who overdue it and try too hard and seem rehearsed. Tom Hanks acted like he was on speed the night I saw him on Letterman for Cloud Atlas I think. Or maybe it was his abysmal showing in the Nora Ephron play.

Anyway he acted obnoxious, manic and very loud. He interrupted, and wouldn't stop talking. it was like he was free-styling, or improving or something. Very strange. I'd rather not have known he was like that.

by Anonymousreply 5507/11/2013

Madonna used to do some hilarious talk show appearances. Not so much anymore, but I still find her mildly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 5607/11/2013

[quote]DiCaprio is a disaster. He does sound like someone who has no education whatosever.

I've always thought this as well. Dicaprio is very inarticulate and you can see he's concentrating very hard when the other person is speaking, like he doesn't quite understand every word.

by Anonymousreply 5707/11/2013

R57 Well, he was a child actor, and lets face it: you're not going to get as good of an education just working with a tutor on a TV set for a few hours as you would if you went to a real school for a full day.

Lack of education aside, he also doesn't seem to have much of a personality either.

by Anonymousreply 5807/11/2013

[quote]Madonna is really dull in interviews.

Not only dull, but a real bitch too. Also, she tries SO hard to sound like an intellectual that she ends up sounding stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5907/11/2013

Warren Beatty owns this thread. He's on the defensive the second he walks out the stage, and every single question (including "how are you doing?") has to be pondered and dissected to make sure it's not an attempt to trap him or trip him up.

by Anonymousreply 6007/11/2013

Joel McHale is always game and can be a lot of fun...but you can tell he's also an extremely NERVOUS guest by the number of "UM"s in every sentence. He really needs to work on that.

by Anonymousreply 6107/11/2013

Madonna may be a bitch, but her rare talk show appearances always bring huge ratings

Her one hour Ellen special episode appearance last October was the highest rated Ellen episode in 5 years

Her Letterman appearance are also highly rated, including her 2000 appearance, in which Letterman dedicated the WHOLE show to Madonna, which he never does with any guest, is still among the highest rated Letterman episodes since he moved to CBS 20 years ago

by Anonymousreply 6207/11/2013

If I were Letterman, I would have throw Madonna OFF the stage after her nasty, self-indulgent appearance in 1993. But Dave is a wimp.

Recently saw DeNiro on The View plugging that idiot boxing movie with Sylvester Stallone. True to form, blabbermouth Stallone yakked on and on; DeNiro sat there vegetating.

by Anonymousreply 6404/04/2014

I would be terrible at being interviewed. If I have to talk to more than a couple of people at a time, I freeze. I can't think about anything except the extra people paying attention to me while I'm talking to someone. I'd really much rather talk to no more than two people at a time. I completely get why people freeze in this situation.

by Anonymousreply 6504/04/2014

Cate Blanchett. She comes across as an egomaniacal cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6604/04/2014

[quiote]If I were Letterman, I would have throw Madonna OFF the stage after her nasty, self-indulgent appearance in 1993. But Dave is a wimp.

No, Dave is in Show Business and it was so offensive to you, yet you're still talking about it 20 years later. See how it works?

by Anonymousreply 6704/04/2014

De Niro's dumb as a post. So is Harrison Ford who is even worse at talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 6804/04/2014

A lot of actors and actresses are in the business in the first place because they're very uncomfortable with themselves and are huge introverts. They like to act so they can be someone else (and be applauded for it), but they hate appearing in public as "themselves" because they feel they are awkward as themselves. That explains why the following are so bad at talk shows: Robert Pattinson, Kit Harington, Robert De Niro, TR Knight (charming, but very awkward), Joaquin Phoenix, Liev Schreiber, and the late Heath Ledger.

Some movie stars have giant egos and think they're too good to be interviewed in that kind of format, so they are either much too cagey (Warren Beatty, Harrison Ford) or they act like assholes (Shirley Maclaine, Madonna).

There are also those who think they're unbelievably charming and loveable and go out and always make huge asses of themselves by seeming fake: Tom Cruise, William Shatner (though Shatner is so over-the-top it's become a national joke, and most people now find his pompous egotism deeply charming).

The best are those who realize it's part of their job and can seem comfortable and funny and tell great stories, and not egomaniacal. Often talk show hosts can find the perfect person and keep inviting them back again and again because they love how they behave so much: Judy Garland was this for Jack Paar, Bette Midler for Johnny Carson, Teri Garr (before she got so ill and stopped working) for David Letterman.

by Anonymousreply 6904/04/2014

John Goodman, I saw him once on Larry King (it was a reunion show with the cast of 'Roseane') and he looked like he was about to off himself on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 7004/04/2014

Kylie Minogue.

by Anonymousreply 7104/04/2014

Jesse Eisenburg is an irritating arrogant little fucker. Really sick of his "I don't want to be here" shtick. He really needs to adjust his meds, or get on some.

Robert DeNiro has a list of things not to ask. I know every actor has one, but Christ, his are ridiculous. That is why he just sits there and stares, half of the interview. Katie Couric got him to show actual emotion during his interview. He started crying.

Jeremy Renner is dumb as a box of rocks, and a tool. I feel bad for his publicist. He'd be fucked without one.

by Anonymousreply 7204/04/2014

[quote]Really sick of his "I don't want to be here" shtick. He really needs to adjust his meds, or get on some.

It's all so hot. I love him, all curly hair, circumcised penis, uncomfortability, the whole thing. It makes me want to fuck him, then break up with him, fuck him, then break up with him--rinse and repeat for a year or so.

by Anonymousreply 7304/04/2014

Lots of spankings, too.

by Anonymousreply 7404/04/2014

On DeNiro: The classic was his only appearance on At the Actor's Studio. Every other word is f**k this, f**k that. James whoever was aghast (if you know him, you'll get it) but the audience was laughing, by the end, out loud. Classic

by Anonymousreply 7504/04/2014

Benedict Cumberbatch is OK on UK chat shows, but his appearances on American ones have been awkward.

by Anonymousreply 7604/04/2014

"I would be terrible at being interviewed"

Me too - I would have outed myself within a minute...

by Anonymousreply 7704/04/2014

Oh, yeah, R77. That, too.

by Anonymousreply 7804/04/2014

Benedict Cumberbatch presenting - with Jon Richardson...

by Anonymousreply 7904/04/2014

I really admired De Niro till I read an interview with him, about 20 years ago. It was for Time Out London and the journalist was all starstruck meeting the great man. All the great man did during the interview was get his driver to tell him where he could find hot women with big booties and tits to fuck. I think he was married at the time. His driver kept passing him photos of naked women with humongous jugs. That was all he was interested in. The Time Out guy was not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 8004/04/2014

This morning, Mario Lopez was the guest co-host on The View. Had looked forward to the Friday show, but didn't watch. The reason is, he seems too full of himself; and he is so self-conscious, it makes me uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 8104/04/2014

Meg Ryan on Parkinson years ago. God it was painful.

by Anonymousreply 8204/04/2014

[quote]The Time Out guy was not impressed.

Maybe he grew up that day and learned not to worship actors, R80.

by Anonymousreply 8304/04/2014

"Meg Ryan on Parkinson years ago. God it was painful"

Career killer - she was also at an awards show (The Brits, I think) soon after and was such a bitch diva on the RED CARPET of all things that she was declared a CUNT, and not to be bothered with...

by Anonymousreply 8404/04/2014

Yeah I saw the Parkinson interview with Meg Ryan. Totally nuts. The woman's a whackjob.

by Anonymousreply 8504/04/2014

r82 - I'm no Meg Ryan fan but I think Parkinson was as stuck up as she was in the interview. He and the other guests were clearly antagonistic towards her. She held her own and tried to answer the acrimonious questions towards her as best she could. She wasn't charming and was in no mood to be there but Parkinson was nasty towards her.

by Anonymousreply 8604/04/2014

Cybill Shepherd was always a bit obnoxious as guest. Not a complete ass, but frustrating and arrogant. Gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 8704/04/2014

How about ditsy drugged Farrah?

by Anonymousreply 8804/04/2014

Parkinson was the biggest asskisser in the history of brown nosing. He always asked the most annoying suck up questions, obsequious as a butler. So it was all Ryan's fault.

by Anonymousreply 8904/04/2014

I second Matt LeBlanc. I saw him on The Tonight Show years ago. This must have been when Friends was at it's peak and he seemed dull, kind of snotty and non conversational.

by Anonymousreply 9004/04/2014

Who the hell is Parkinson?

by Anonymousreply 9104/04/2014

Timberlake interviews

by Anonymousreply 9204/04/2014

Mark Harmon. He comes off as such a doofus...

which is exactly what Heather Locklear said about him in the 80s.

No wonder he married Pam Dawber.

by Anonymousreply 9304/04/2014

DeNiro is uptight because of his lack of education. He's not comfortable being interviewed.

by Anonymousreply 9404/04/2014

Whoopi she always opens her mouth too much and attempts to put a racist twist on just about everything.

by Anonymousreply 9504/04/2014

R91, Michael Parkinson. He was the doyen of UK television interviewers in the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 9604/05/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 9704/05/2014

Parkinson was an old fashioned gentleman, very pleasant to all his guests and he became friends with many of them over the years. Meg Ryan was just vile.

by Anonymousreply 9804/11/2014

R53, I immediately thought of Heath Ledger. Incredibly awkward. Always felt a bit sorry for him.

by Anonymousreply 9904/11/2014

The older ones probably can't be helped but you'd think that the agents and managers and coaches of the young ones would help them appear more natural and likable on talk shows. It goes a long way.

I remember years ago catching the Ellen show when she introduced a woman I'd never heard of from a brand new TV show. The woman, who was meeting Ellen for the first time, was hilarious and treated Ellen like an old friend who shared tons of inside jokes. Tons of personality and charisma. Ellen and the audience were having a great time and I made a note to look out for the actress, Sofia Vergara, and her show. Her personality is probably why she's in every other commercial with a healthy movie career.

by Anonymousreply 10004/11/2014

Wouldn't it be hilarious if there's a roundtable interview with Jay Leno, deNiro, KStewart and Zuckerberg and Marlee Matlin?

by Anonymousreply 10104/11/2014

[quote] Madonna used to do some hilarious talk show appearances. Not so much anymore, but I still find her mildly entertaining.

That's true. Her appearances on Arsenio Hall back in the early 90s were legendary. She was a shade queen (the way she dissed Joan Collins when they were discussing Warren Beatty was hilarious at the 17:35 mark).

I think the moment she became Dylanized, and when she moved to England and developed that fake-ass accent, was when she lost her sense of humor. Now she's dull as dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 10204/11/2014

Chris Evans has really bad social anxiety, so he always looks high during interviews (probably from the medication).

by Anonymousreply 10304/11/2014

Kathie Lee Gifford

by Anonymousreply 10402/17/2015

R69: You are right about Judy Garland and Jack Paar. I have watched his interviews on YouTube and the Paley Center. I could list many other people who were so good with Paar, but it would be a very long list!

by Anonymousreply 10502/17/2015

R93 for some reason I always thought Mark Harmon was intelligent. Guess he was just a pretty California football player after all

by Anonymousreply 10602/17/2015

chris evans has admitted he hates interviews because of anxiety.

"it" girl kate upton? she was on ellen last year and i swear she couldn't put 2 coherent words together! either she is dumber than a pile of rocks or she was nervous or something... she should get down on her knees every morning thanking the lord for her looks and those breasts! otherwise, she would be in trouble as a "real career woman"..

on the flip side, love emily blunt's interviews, funny, witty, down to earth, able to laugh at herself, and so on. her recent costar mr.cruise? i think nowadays he is just too damn worried what others will think because of his "hiccups" in recent years, (oprah, lauer, etcetera even though those incidences have been what 10 years ago now?) i mean can you imagine the world audience watching your every word, every gesture, every facial expression, what your wearing, how you react to a question, and debating and judging you and your appearance?. that would flip anyone out.

by Anonymousreply 10702/17/2015
Need more help? Click Here.