Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Madonna ''ditches Kabbalah for Opus Dei''

FOR the past 15 years, she has been Kabbalah%E2%80%99s most high profile and dedicated follower.

But now Madonna has apparently ditched the controversial faith and taken up with Opus Dei %E2%80%93 the secretive Catholic sect made famous in The Da Vinci Code.

The singer is said to be intrigued by the organisation and spent Friday with priests from the centre%E2%80%99s London HQ.

The move follows her alleged falling out with some Kabbalah leaders after reports that cash raised for her Malawi charity was squandered. Last night a source claimed: %E2%80%9CShe has invested so much into Kabbalah so she was devastated by these damning accusations.

%E2%80%9CShe has started exploring different religions. Madonna has always been intrigued by Opus Dei. As yet, she%E2%80%99s not a fully paid-up member %E2%80%93 she%E2%80%99s just had informal chats.%E2%80%9D It is not known yet whether the star, 51, has formally quit Kabbalah.

Two weeks ago a report claimed Madonna%E2%80%99s charity, Raising Malawi, was meant to spend %C2%A32.4million to fund a new school in the country %E2%80%93 but most of it was allegedly spent on the Kabbalah Centre%E2%80%99s offices in LA.

Madonna has now removed directors of Raising Malawi. Among the axed board members is Michael Berg, a co-director of the Kabbalah Centre. Two other ditched board members, John Larkin and Rachel Almog, also had links to Kabbalah.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing from any board members.

Newsweek in the US said the FBI and Inland Revenue Service were investigating the charity but Madonna denies it.

On Friday she spent 90 minutes at the Opus Dei centre in Orme Court before returning to her North West London home. Last night her spokesman declined to comment.

by Anonymousreply 8607/13/2013

So the Clams are chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 104/11/2011

The only two Opus Dei members I know are extremely conservative and -- of course! -- homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 204/11/2011

So she traded one crock of shit for another.

by Anonymousreply 304/11/2011

This must be a joke.

by Anonymousreply 404/11/2011

Kabbalah is also homophobic, so I don't think she'll have a problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 504/11/2011

Why do so many celebs fall for this shit? Are they empty inside and searching for something? I don't get it. I'm a happy heathen and have no desire or need for religion.

by Anonymousreply 604/11/2011

She is such a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 704/11/2011

Why must this woman always have some sort of crutch to keep her upright? Just go to mass like everyone else if you're that way inclined. Tripping on these idiotic sub-cults of major religions is just a scam operated to bilk rich idiots of their hard earned cash. She wouldn't give millions to a homeless guy on the street, so why is she giving it to these grifters?

by Anonymousreply 804/11/2011

Scalia is in Opus Dei. I certainly hope you boys are going to shun her if this turns out to be true.

by Anonymousreply 904/11/2011

Oh fuck no! We don't want the old skag! Why can't she go join the C of E lot?!?!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1004/11/2011

Opus Dei is always notoriously misogynistic (more so than normal Catholicism, which is bad enough). Although, Madge has never much struck me as a feminist (except when she wants to sell more albums).

by Anonymousreply 1104/11/2011

Can't she just go to the United or Unitarian Church and be done with it? She only does this because she thinks it's 'cool' or trendy. What a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 1204/11/2011

Madonna seems like a lost and unhappy woman. Wouldn't want her life for all the money in the world.

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2011

Funny how the woman who has been constantly pissing off Rome with her innumerable Catholic themed publicity stunts for the past thirty years could come full circle like this. How soon before she "does a Prince" and disavows her past and music?

Hard to believe that this is the same person who kissed Leon The Black Saint Martin de Porres, put a topless sketch of the Virgin on a 12 inch single and told Spin magazine "Crucifixes are sexy because there's a naked man on them."

by Anonymousreply 1404/11/2011

It CANNOT be true. Why would a liberal woman join a fascist Catholic organization that wants women barefoot and pregnant? It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1504/11/2011

I know about twenty aging circuit boys who wear red strings around their wrists who are going to be so confused by this news...

by Anonymousreply 1604/11/2011

r15, you can ask why she shacked up with Kabbalah too. The woman has never been dealing with a full deck.

by Anonymousreply 1704/11/2011

It's not just Opus Dei she's investigating. She's also shown some interest in Landmark Forum and the Westboro Baptists.

by Anonymousreply 1804/11/2011

If Rosenberg declines to comment, you know something's up.

by Anonymousreply 1904/11/2011

Maybe she's interested in the S&M side to it.

by Anonymousreply 2004/11/2011

Our lady of perpetual desperate posturing!

Good luck sleeping your way to the top of that particular tree, Madge.

Do you think she'll reinvent herself as a twelve-year-old altar boy with problems at home?

by Anonymousreply 2104/11/2011

The Kabalah Centre's religious doctrines are liberal.

by Anonymousreply 2204/11/2011

I hope she defends herself to the press! I love it when she does that...

"My art is a journey!..."

by Anonymousreply 2304/11/2011

"My art is a journey!..."%0D %0D %0D Bwahahaha!!! %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2404/11/2011

[italic]The Kabalah Centre's religious doctrines are liberal.[/italic]

Homophobia is liberal? Uh, no, dear. Those people are on record as saying that homosexuality is turning away from the "light" or "god". Give it a rest. They segregate the sexes as well. Not to mention they tell couples when and how to have sex, and not to cut their children's hair until a certain age. That's why Rocco had hair down to his ass for the first three years of his life. Madonna is one fucked up bitch! Her attending services dressed from head to toe in white, isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 2504/11/2011

I wonder if this is a rather ingenious way of knocking the wheels off of her latest competition, Lady Gaga? Ms. Germanotta has been recycling Madge's three-decade old "blasphemy" shtick and remaking into something more ominous than sexual. Seeing Madge go all "church lady" on someone half her age (and seemingly twice as shrewd) would be very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 2604/11/2011

I have a theory.... she's thinking to herself.... 'I worked fucking hard to get where I am today, I had to shag complete assholes, tour the world and prostitute myself for all these fucking possessions and there's no fucking way I'm gonna die anytime soon and leave it all behind! I'll join the catholics and find out what secrets they have to eternal life!'%0D %0D I hope the communion wine and wafer get stuck in her throat; then again, she's so hard faced a fucking brick wouldn't choke her.%0D %0D x%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2011

"As yet, she's not a fully paid-up member."

Organized religion always loses me with the money angle. All they ever want is your money, your money and more of your money.

Up until 8th grade I attended a Catholic grammar school, mostly because I grew up in a rough area of Brooklyn. My parents figured a Catholic school would be safer and I'd get a better education, in essence, it was a cheaper version of a private school. My parents weren't religious in the least.

Besides the utter hypocrisy of the Catholic Church, in addition to the yearly tuition, all they wanted was money.

We were given boxes of envelopes which we were required to bring to Mass on Sunday with money in each envelope. My family got FOUR boxes of envelopes!

My parents got one envelope, the other three boxes were for me and my two siblings! Unreal.

A friend's brother had joined some born again church, he cornered me once in the local drugstore, he was going on and on about his church, how he's 'required' to give a certain portion of his and his wife's income to this church and do I give any of my money to MY church.

I told him, I stopped going to church after I left the Catholic grammar school, that was a very long time ago.

I shut him up by simply stating, "I can't believe in something I've never seen...let alone so freely give my money away! I'm not easily brainwashed!"

This guy sounded so robotic and programmed, he was not the same happy person I knew as a kid. I never understood when people allow religion to completely take over their lives, it's downright scary. It's just as bad an addiction as drugs or smoking!

My friend told me he no longer sees much of his brother because every conversation inevitably veers into religion.

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2011

This article is from The Onion, right?

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2011

She is desperate to belong to a cult. Next, watch as Madonna becomes a Scientologist.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2011

[quote]"My art is a journey!..."

And my head is an empty suitcase!

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2011

I didn't know Opus Dei let skanks attend.%0D %0D Poor R28, your parents could have saved a lot of money and your education could have been equally as lame if they had let you go to public school. But private schools cost money. If they had sent you to some non-religious private school, would you be wining about it?%0D %0D You want free and cheap, go to public school.

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2011

From Wikipedia:

"For the most part, Opus Dei members belong to the middle-to-low levels in society, in terms of education, income, and social status."

Ew.

Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 3304/11/2011

Mothra, Madonna.

Madonna, Mothra.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2011

Madonna already defended Scientology. That should tell you something.

by Anonymousreply 3504/11/2011

As a fallen Catholic, she's looking for a sect that will canonize her, preferably before she kicks.

"And she's buuuuuyyyiinnnggg a stairway to heaven"

Rome is sitting shiva as I type this

by Anonymousreply 3604/11/2011

R27, she was Catholic. They rejoiced when she kabbalah'ed

by Anonymousreply 3704/11/2011

For fuck's sake old girl, just take up scrapbooking and done with it.

by Anonymousreply 3804/11/2011

Now she can just go by her given name, "Madonna," and not "Esther."

by Anonymousreply 3904/11/2011

What next? Is she going to become a whirling dervish?

by Anonymousreply 4004/11/2011

[quote]I didn't know Opus Dei let skanks attend.%0D %0D Seriously, would they let her in?

by Anonymousreply 4104/11/2011

"Poor [R28], your parents could have saved a lot of money and your education could have been equally as lame if they had let you go to public school. But private schools cost money. If they had sent you to some non-religious private school, would you be wining about it? You want free and cheap, go to public school."

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! Your repsonse is so angry amd bizarre.

Nowhere in my post did I mention I had a "lame" education in the Catholic school I attended, actually the last three years we had lay teachers and an attractive young hip nun who left to get married during Summer recess!

I met some of my best friends in that school, we are still close, so don't make ridiculous assumptions based on me not giving a shit about religion!

I was 'whining' about ALL THE EXTRA MONEY they asked for in ADDITION to the tuition money. ALL religions and cults want people's money, Scientology anyone?

No, my parents couldn't afford Dalton or whatever private junior high school, on 50 something street, my best childhood friend attended after Catholic school.

I was lucky enough to attend a public vocational art high school. A portfolio, written test and an art test on premises was required, so YES I think my private Catholic school education DID help me towards my high school goal.

You sound completely unhinged!

by Anonymousreply 4204/11/2011

We need a knowledgeable Catholic here, but I think that Opus Dei doesn't admit women.

by Anonymousreply 4304/11/2011

According to the loonies themselves, R43, they do--click on "Do women and men have the same status in Opus Dei?" at the link

by Anonymousreply 4404/11/2011

I checked the link. It says that spiritual activities are conducted separately for men and woman.

by Anonymousreply 4504/11/2011

T-minus 5 years until she's moved on to the next attention-ge... phase of life.

by Anonymousreply 4604/11/2011

Meh....perhaps she will score a Top 50 hit with this news....

by Anonymousreply 4704/11/2011

I still maintain she will end up a strict adherent of Jainism. It's the only thing that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 4804/11/2011

The only religion Madonna worships is that of money.

She might have been interested in sex in her youth, but it was merely another means to an end.

Now she hires non-English speaking rent boys for photo opportunities. She's probably way too busy being gazing at herself all day, and micro-managing her kids lives, to have much time for sex.

Who really cares about this tedious untalented bitch, she's never had one original idea in her head.

The obsession with religion at a gay message board is also quite odd.

by Anonymousreply 4904/11/2011

On the bright side, maybe this means her tour shows will move back towards the theatrical rather than relying on video screens so much.

by Anonymousreply 5004/11/2011

As crazy as this news item sound I allways got that powerhungry and status obsessed vibe from Madonna.

Overly ambitious people don't care who they mingle with and what the people's opinions are as long as it will bring that ambitious person nearer to his or her goals in life.

by Anonymousreply 5104/11/2011

Come on people, Madonna is really not difficult to understand. She has Narcisisstic Personality Disorder. It's really all you need to know to understand her.

by Anonymousreply 5204/11/2011

I wish that she would rejoin the Catholic church and get support from the living God.

by Anonymousreply 5304/11/2011

She must be feeling aaaawfuly guilty about something!

by Anonymousreply 5404/12/2011

No surprise she'd leave Kabbalah. Probably too trendy for her now.

She wants exclusivity and mystery. It seems Madonna doesn't really care about the actual tenets of whatever faith she's interested in.

by Anonymousreply 5504/12/2011

More importantly, how will Chris make money off of this?

by Anonymousreply 5604/12/2011

all kidding aside, if Rosenberg or Madge admit this as true, I am done with her.

by Anonymousreply 5704/12/2011

Opus Die obviously has a bigger cock than Kabbalah.

by Anonymousreply 5804/12/2011

[quote]I shut him up by simply stating, "I can't believe in something I've never seen.%0D %0D %0D So you don't believe in oxygen R28?

by Anonymousreply 5904/13/2011

When will she go away?

by Anonymousreply 6004/13/2011

The fact that she is always looking for something in organized religions or religious oraganizations indicates that she is not as spiritually centered- or even at least plain spiritual - as she projects her public image to be. I've started to wonder if all these news about her spiritual quest is just a publicity stunt to keep her relevant and pave way every time she has a new ablum or single.

by Anonymousreply 6104/13/2011

McDonna--billions and billions served.

by Anonymousreply 6204/13/2011

R59= not a brain cell in his head and if there was one it would die of shame.

by Anonymousreply 6304/13/2011

But you don't believe in brain cells R63/28, since it's quite certian you've never actually seen one.

by Anonymousreply 6404/13/2011

[quote]Now she hires non-English speaking rent boys for photo opportunities. She's probably way too busy being gazing at herself all day, and micro-managing her kids lives, to have much time for sex.%0D %0D Didn't Guy Ritchie say they almost never had sex because she'd rather be working out or doing yoga?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6504/13/2011

Where are the Madge fantards to defend and spin this?%0D %0D She is such a has been it isn't even funny anymore. She cannot face the fact that her hitmaking years are LONG behind her, so she will do any stupid thing to stay in the spotlight. And that poor daughter is in for a ride.%0D %0D I predict a complete breakdown on stage five years from now. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6604/15/2011

Fantastic news. Really. I love that she's going in for Opus Dei.

by Anonymousreply 6704/15/2011

Opus Dei are like Catholic Dominionists! They're throwbacks to the Middle Ages. What on earth is attracting her to those nitwits?

by Anonymousreply 6804/15/2011

I wish I knew, r68.%0D %0D I just wish that Madonna and a lot of the other celebritites would join a real church and start reading the Bible.

by Anonymousreply 6904/15/2011

Sixty-nine posts and no one has yet mentioned that this story is from the Mirror? Dubious at best.

by Anonymousreply 7004/15/2011

My parents are both strict Catholics and even they think Opus Dei is way over the top.

by Anonymousreply 7104/15/2011

Mark my words, she'll end up becoming a nun.

by Anonymousreply 7204/16/2011

Or...maybe she's trying to infiltrate Opus Dei and eventually take over the Church and usurp the Pontiff of the power over the Church?

Of course, I'm just..saying.

by Anonymousreply 7304/16/2011

R25 Don't confuse Rabbinic tradition with Jewish law. Kabbalah practices focus a lot more on an individual's relationship with G-d through meditation and mysticism, not so much following Halakha prescribed in the Torah. It's those laws that make Jewish people stand out. It's certain sects of Ultra-orthodox Judaism typically where written law is followed so strictly. I hate that the "trendiness" of Kabbalah has actually driven away many in the Jewish community who would find those practices beneficial.

by Anonymousreply 7404/16/2011

R61 is the definitive response to this thread.%0D %0D Madonna is just being Madonna, the perpetual fame whore "reinventing" herself again.

by Anonymousreply 7504/16/2011

r74 = Liz Rosenberg.

by Anonymousreply 7604/16/2011

Are we assuming the Catholic church would welcome her back?

by Anonymousreply 7704/16/2011

That bitch can do whatever she wants, but there's no way in HELL I'm going to be some priest's Altar boy toy!

by Anonymousreply 7804/16/2011

Why did you say that, r72?

by Anonymousreply 7904/17/2011

R77 Ever hear the story about the prodigal son?

by Anonymousreply 8004/17/2011

[R80]

Well, for Madonna to be a prodiga son (or daughter, for that matter), she needs to confess her "sins," which IMO are too many to count in the eyes of the Catholic Church, before she can return to the fold. AND, she needs to eat with swines! Oink, oink!!

by Anonymousreply 8104/17/2011

Yes. The Catholic Church will welcome her back, as long as she hasn't had an abortion. %0D

by Anonymousreply 8204/17/2011

"Yes. The Catholic Church will welcome her back, as long as she hasn't had an abortion. "

Yeah, that'll work! loooooool

How many has she had, 20?

by Anonymousreply 8304/17/2011

Abortions?

She had a couple in the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 8404/17/2011

[quote]"Yes. The Catholic Church will welcome her back, as long as she hasn't had an abortion."

According to Canon Law, abortion is grounds for "latae sententiae" (automatic) excommunication, but Dorothy Day had an abortion before she converted to Catholicism. John Paul II granted permission to open Day's cause for sainthood, which makes her a "Servant of God" in the eyes of the Church. Because of Day's abortion, that's probably as far as her cause will go, and the Servant of God thing was probably just a sop to liberal Catholics.

Considering that Opus Dei is a sleazy, powermad ultra-right cult, and Madonna is one of the world's biggest celebrities, I think they'd let a few terminated pregnancies slide.

by Anonymousreply 8509/01/2011

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8607/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!