Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I did not see Season 1 of FX's [italic]Justified[/italic], starring Timothy Olyphant of HBO's [italic]Deadwood[/italic], and am aware it is really well-reviewed. (Margo Martindale's supporting performance this season is, apparently, Emmy worthy.)%0D %0D %0D Is this series easy to catch up on, and to follow it one episode after the next? I'm asking because I'm considering buying Season 1 on Blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 20202/09/2015

I suggest picking up the first season.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2011

I got hooked after seeing Margo martindale in a fab episode with her " apple pie " ...

This is a really good show. Handsome lead actor.

Totally recommend!

by Anonymousreply 204/11/2011

I figure it's streamable from the FX website.

(Then, again, I could be terribly wrong.)

by Anonymousreply 304/11/2011

Excellent show. It's worth catching up on OP.

by Anonymousreply 404/11/2011

I love this show, the second season is even better than the first. I agree, get the first season and catch up!

by Anonymousreply 504/11/2011

Also forgot to add that the relationships between characters is somewhat complicated, OP, so watching the first season will give you the background needed to appreciate all the storylines going on this season.

by Anonymousreply 604/11/2011

This is a great show! My ex is from that part of Kentucky and everything seems very "true to life."%0D Also Timothy Olyphant is worth looking at (and watching him walk!)just by himself! woof!

by Anonymousreply 704/11/2011

Justified is one of the better shows on tv that no one knows about.

I missed the first season and caught up through netflix. Just watch it from the beginning- particularly to understand Raylin's relationship with his father and the introduction to Boyd Crowder & his family. Margo Martindale's character is great, but she wasn't in season 1 at all.

by Anonymousreply 804/11/2011

I know he has a protruding forehead and big teeth, but there's something sexy about Walton Goggins -- I felt this way when watching him on The Shield, too. He's good at playing villainous hicks.

by Anonymousreply 904/11/2011

I agree, brilliant show, and one of my favs. Margo is perfection, but the whole cast in terrific.

by Anonymousreply 1004/11/2011

Last week's episode was the best thing on TV this season. Yes, OP, start by watching the first season.

by Anonymousreply 1104/11/2011

I hope this stays on TV. Elmore Leonard stories done just right.

by Anonymousreply 1204/11/2011

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2011

Just won a Peabody Award.

by Anonymousreply 1404/11/2011

Go for it, OP. Once you meet the general cast of characters, you will understand the show. There is usually a new villain family with an evil matriarch or patriarch every season. The Crowders was last season and Mags and her family are this season. Not every episode is about the evil family, though. There are sometimes general episodes about Raylan or a job he has that can be wrapped up in a single episode, often with some minor advancement in the plot line on the evil family.

The show is about the best thing on TV these days. Most of these FX shows are about 13 episodes, so we are about halfway through this second season.

by Anonymousreply 1504/11/2011

You don't need to see Season 1 to follow things, but it would be better if you did.

by Anonymousreply 1604/11/2011

Here's another reason to watch season 1.

by Anonymousreply 1704/11/2011

Here's a review of tonight's episode from

Justified (FX): New. Raylan and Winona are trying to figure out what they are going to do after recent events. Boyd decides on his new path. The Bennetts set the new plan for the family. Runs 61 minutes. Plays twice and again later. This is just another fantastic episode. Very dialogue driven up until the end and sets things up for the events of next week%E2%80%99s episode, which is even better than this week. The season continues to build episode after episode and I can%E2%80%99t wait to see how the season ends, which is just three episodes away after tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1804/13/2011

I had no idea Margo was on this show! I love her. I'm gonna have to watch it now. I hope she wins an Emmy, she's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 1904/13/2011

Can anyone give a clearer idea what the show's about, without giving anything away?

by Anonymousreply 2004/13/2011

R20, it's about a deputy US marshall who grew up in rural Kentucky and is reassigned to that area after he fatally shoots a guy in the pilot episode (he maintained the shooting was "justified," hence the title).

by Anonymousreply 2104/13/2011

There's something about that uniquely Southern way of exchanging snippy banter cloaked in politeness that I just love, and this show has it in spades.

by Anonymousreply 2204/13/2011

Thanks, r21.

by Anonymousreply 2304/13/2011

Bless your heart, r22! [italic]Justified[/italic] nails Southern humor. I am from rural Kentucky and am pleased at how the show captures our unique banter. And Timothy Olyphant is hot as hell! Who wouldn't want to get with Raylan Givens?

by Anonymousreply 2404/13/2011

... nice episode last night, the criminal lady is scary stuff.

I worry for the mountain.

by Anonymousreply 2504/14/2011

Damn, I was hoping Winona would get shot.

by Anonymousreply 2604/14/2011

[quote]the criminal lady is scary stuff.

That's Margo Martindale. She's wonderful in everything she does.

by Anonymousreply 2704/14/2011

Margo and Raylan's step-mom in the cafe...said something about the "privilege" she had a right to kill a Givens because Raylan had killed her son.

Is this a real tradition in the hill folk?

by Anonymousreply 2804/15/2011

Megs is one of the all-time best villans. Great show!

by Anonymousreply 2904/15/2011

No, r28. I hope you're not serious.

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2011

No offense meant, R24...just asking if it was a phrase anybody could comment on.

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2011

I wondered the same thing, R31. It sounded like it could just be courtly speech or perhaps there was a "rules-of-war" principle of of acceptable revenge.

by Anonymousreply 3204/16/2011

I caught a few minutes of some movie on Comedy Central yesterday, with Jason Biggs and Amy Adams; Margo Martindale played his mother in a small comic role. I'd never seen her in anything else before, and she was utterly unlike her character on Justified. Now I really appreciate how good her performance is.

by Anonymousreply 3304/16/2011

I'm watching season one...really enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 3404/16/2011

If you want to see another great Margo Martindale performance, check out the movie, "Paris Je T'aime." It's an anthology film and in one short segment, Margo plays a clueless American tourist in Paris. She is absolutely sublime %E2%80%93 funny and sad and very moving.

by Anonymousreply 3504/17/2011

Could the person(s) who saw Olyphant's full frontal on stage in the Monogamist please give a detailed description of his genatalia?

Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 3604/17/2011

No problem, r31. I have no explanation. It's not a custom in my neck of the woods.

by Anonymousreply 3704/18/2011

Bump - this show has just gotten better and better with each passing week. I'm so looking forward to the season finale on Wednesday. You know there's going to be a Givens-Bennett-Crowder THROWDOWN.

by Anonymousreply 3805/02/2011

I agree with R38,

this is one of the best shows on TV right now.

by Anonymousreply 3905/03/2011

Can I get you a glass of my Apple Pie?

by Anonymousreply 4005/04/2011

Good finale overall, but I don't think it was true to character that a seasoned outlaw like Mags would have confessed when she didn't have to. Plus, she had the perfect fall guy in Coover, as dead men tell no tales.

by Anonymousreply 4105/05/2011

Great show, everybody's good except Raylan's dad, who seems to have wandered in from On Golden Pond. Hope they dump the character or recast him. Also, Natalie Zea needs to eat some food.

by Anonymousreply 4205/05/2011

The actress who plays Mags deserves an Emmy for her work this season.%0D %0D She's been outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 4305/05/2011

[quote]The actress who plays Mags deserves an Emmy for her work this season.

So does her son Dickie.

by Anonymousreply 4405/05/2011

For some reason I found Doyle to be insanely hot.

by Anonymousreply 4505/05/2011

[quote]...but I don't think it was true to character that a seasoned outlaw like Mags would have confessed when she didn't have to.

Ah, but that's the beauty and depth of Mags character. She was ultimately overwhelmed by her emotions even though she knew better. The way Martindale played her, you could see her fighting it - she lied the first time but finally just couldn't, even though she knew she'd be killed for it. Great scene - great show.

by Anonymousreply 4605/05/2011

When she lost Doyle that was it, she said she was doing all this for him and his the shock of the little girl wanting to kill her.

Mags had some sort of twisted sense of the girl being her younger, better self.

Great finale.

Love Raylan getting shot and Art coming to save him.

I think Raylan's Dad is written perfectly as a manipulative sociopath...the guy playing him has the looks and the charm.

by Anonymousreply 4705/08/2011

I hate Winona. I hate she is pregnant even more.

by Anonymousreply 4805/08/2011

Jeez, you guys are making me feel better about the finale than I felt watching it. It just seemed like a letdown to me, although I recognize that it left several issues hanging.

I loved the Mags character, although in that first episode she was really scary. I agree that the loss of Doyle and finally seeing what she'd really done to Loretta made her confess at the end, but she was going out her way. Of course, the show made it seem for a bit like she was going to poison Raylan. I agree that the actress deserves an Emmy for that performance.

Raylan's dad is a nasty piece of work, but I hope they keep him. I was sorry the writers decided to sacrifice Helen. I still think there were still stories to be written of her dealing with Raylan's dad.

They'd better keep Walter Goggins on the show as Boyd, though. He is excellent, every time he's on the screen. I was reading about him and he travels all the time. He is also a strong liberal and has worked for political causes. His wife committed suicide years ago and he's not been connected seriously with anyone ever since her death. His character in the short story died, but the reaction to him was so strong on screen that they kept the character.

by Anonymousreply 4905/08/2011

Boyd stole the show - he's not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 5005/08/2011

[quote]His wife committed suicide years ago and he's not been connected seriously with anyone ever since her death.

Goggins is involved with director Nadia Conners. There were also a lot of rumors about Goggins and Kate Bosworth, but there are always rumors about Bosworth and anyone with a penis. Probably only 60-70% of the rumors are true... don't know about Goggins.

by Anonymousreply 5105/09/2011

Bump - the 3rd season of Justified debuts Tuesday night on fx.

I'm sad that Margo won't be on this season, but based on some early reviews I've seen, they haven't missed a beat.

by Anonymousreply 5201/17/2012

Wow, Ava is a little Mags in the making.

by Anonymousreply 5301/18/2012

Hey R53, you lookin' for a taste of my fryin' pan here?

by Anonymousreply 5401/18/2012

*bump* for this week's episode. Mykelti Williams' character is going to be crazy good!

by Anonymousreply 5501/26/2012

Is no one watching this season?

by Anonymousreply 5602/10/2012

I'm watching! I think this season has been equally as good as last season, although I miss Mags & family. It was great to see Loretta last week, although I think it was a one shot deal. Olyphant, Goggins, and Davies are still doing Emmy-caliber work, and I would throw Nick Searcy (Art) and Joelle Carter (Ava) in there too.

by Anonymousreply 5702/11/2012

The writing has stayed tight. One of the best shows on TV.

Love Dickie. that prison nurse is one scary guy.

by Anonymousreply 5802/11/2012

I agree about the prison nurse--sad to see him go. The showdown between Quarles and Boyd was amazing and Limehouse is keeping tabs on everyone. Things are going to get crazy.

by Anonymousreply 5902/16/2012

The prison nurse looks like Willam Belli on RuPaul's Drag Race.

I didn't understand the last scene this week. Raylan read a note... was it from Winona?

by Anonymousreply 6002/16/2012

I took too much joy in seeing Raylan punch William Mapother in the this week's episode.

by Anonymousreply 6102/23/2012

R61 = Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 6202/24/2012

This is still one of the best shows on TV right now.

The northern mob guy is scary and

I'll tell you what, I'm never going to visit Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 6302/26/2012

Margo Martindale originated the role of Truvvy in Steel Magnolias.

by Anonymousreply 6402/26/2012

I think Elmore Leonard is still part of the show, even if just a consultant. He's an excellent writer and just having him review the scripts might keep the writing tight. The actors are amazing, although no villain was better than Margo as Mags Bennett. She scared the daylights out of me in that first episode last season.

And the actor who plays Dewey Crowe is great as well. The guy is a walking campaigner for the Darwin award.

by Anonymousreply 6502/26/2012

And, MM DID win an Emmy for her performance in Justified. Now, this season I'd like to see more of Carla Gugino, who was great in the cancelled-too-soon Elmore Leonard series Karen Sisco & is playing same character with different last name now.

by Anonymousreply 6602/26/2012

So he beat up a male hustler - does that mean he likes the homo sex?

by Anonymousreply 6702/29/2012

That's my guess, R67. It would explain why he had that guy gagged and tied to the bed a couple of weeks ago. I think Wynn Duffy might be on to him too.

I love all the people and plots in motion this year. The only downside is that you don't see as much of the regulars, like Art, Tim and Ava.

I'm surprised more people aren't watching this. Great show.

by Anonymousreply 6803/01/2012

Love this show.

by Anonymousreply 6903/01/2012

So many twists this week! I'm having trouble keeping tabs on Limehouse and who, if anyone, he is backing. Quarles listening to religious radio and chewing Oxy was frightening. Things are going to get nasty, soon.

by Anonymousreply 7003/08/2012

I think they are moving the characters into position for some crazy stuff in the second half of this season.

Lots of bad guys!

by Anonymousreply 7103/08/2012

Ava, Ava, Ava...there's no turning back now.

by Anonymousreply 7203/15/2012

I love every scene between Boyd Crowder and Raylan Givens. Of course, last night's shooting by Ava could emphasize an already strange triangle.

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2012

Ava wants to run prostitutes now?

by Anonymousreply 7403/16/2012

Yes, sounds like Ava will be the local madam. I'm not sure I like that development, while the Ava & Boyd pairing has been entertaining, I've been hoping she would rub off on him more than vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 7503/16/2012

So the nut job gets naked and walks into the bathroom to do who knows what to the kid he has tied to the toilet, but he would not do a love scene with a woman because it went against his religious morality? Hmmmm interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7603/21/2012

Quarrles is so fucking crazy. I can't wait to see him go out in a spectacular fashion.

by Anonymousreply 7703/21/2012

My thought exactly, R76.

by Anonymousreply 7803/21/2012

R76...This is a story about the actor?

by Anonymousreply 7903/21/2012

Oh, this story about Neal McDonough...from Wiki

McDonough was set to star in the ABC dramedy Scoundrels[ but was fired for refusing to do sex scenes for the show. He credits his family and his Catholic faith for his decision. McDonough portrays the role of "Jesus" in "The Truth & Life Dramatized audio New Testament Bible," a 22-hour, celebrity-voiced, fully dramatized audio New Testament which uses the Catholic edition of the RSV.

You are right, that's Icky...

by Anonymousreply 8003/21/2012

any pics of the nude guy walking into the br?

by Anonymousreply 8103/21/2012

It's Marshall Allman who plays the guy tied to the toilet with the ball gag in his mouth - the guy True Blood who was SAMs brother

by Anonymousreply 8203/28/2012

He's lost a lot of muscle definition since True Blood.

by Anonymousreply 8303/28/2012

You would lose muscle definition too if you were chained to the toilet for two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 8403/28/2012

I like Neal McDonough and was surprised that he would be in such a role. He's creepy great in it, though.

I also love Ava and think the show does so much better when it isn't spending time on Winona.

by Anonymousreply 8503/29/2012

I think the chance to get an Emmy has got Neal willing to drop trou.

by Anonymousreply 8603/29/2012

Also I'm worried that Raylan's new bartender girlfriend is not long for this world.

by Anonymousreply 8703/29/2012

Sex scenes typically involve real foreplay. That was likely the objection. In the scene where he is naked, he walks into the bathroom and the scene is shot from behind so you see the guy chained to a toilet and gagged. Then the door shuts. You never see him touch anyone. I suspect the scene was written that way to overcome any objections he had.

Loved the way the neighbor describes him in the show--looks like he'd shit blond.

by Anonymousreply 8803/29/2012

This last episode was great!

by Anonymousreply 8904/05/2012

So Loretta has the money someplace, or knows where it is really hidden, and Limehouse also knows and is protecting it because that's the deal he had with Mags, right? And the deal included not giving it to Dickie? At least that's what I got out of it.

The writers must love coming up with funny descriptions for McDonough. Duffy said he had a "big baby head" this episode, too.

by Anonymousreply 9004/05/2012

Limehouse has the money...he wasn't trying to steal it...but he was holding it for Loretta, which was Mags wishes.

She now has access to it.

So Limehouse is surprisingly a kind of good guy.

by Anonymousreply 9104/05/2012

Great season three finale tonight. I liked how after the season of chess moves between all the characters ended up with Raylan realizing his father thinks of Boyd as more of a son than him. Some other random thoughts:

I love how Limehouse ended up being less of a villain, and more of a guy who wants to be left alone.

I'm a little disappointed that Ava has gotten so dark.

I'd hope if Winona sticks around a bit (she's supposed to do 3 episodes in Season 4), they keep her home life with Raylan the focus of that character

by Anonymousreply 9204/11/2012

Loved how Wynn Duffy, who is a cold-blooded killer, was so outraged that Raylan wasn't playing fair. JESUS CHRIST!

Did not see that business with Arlo coming, but it made perfect sense.

I always thought Cousin Johnny had something up his sleeve.

I knew the season was going to end with Winona. She's the only one Raylan feels he can be open with.

by Anonymousreply 9304/11/2012

Ava chose her road and this is where it's leading.

I jumped at that Limehouse ending.

and Raylan holding the gun away from Quarles...

Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 9404/11/2012

I didn't understand why Limehouse was banishing Errol. I agree with R92 about Ava going to the dark side. Although Raylan has nothing but disgust for Arlo, it was still sad to see how he was hurt by his affection for Boyd (at the potential cost of Raylan's life).

by Anonymousreply 9504/12/2012

Errol was the one that dragged Limehouse in the middle of the Boyd and Quarles stuff. (I'm clanking on how he did that - did he do something at one of the oxy clinics?) but I clearly remember Limehouse telling Errol he had to "fix it". So he was basically sending Errol off because (Limehouse thought) he was out of the middle of their crap.

I'm wondering if Errol died? It looked like he was shot by Quarles before he was disarmed.

by Anonymousreply 9604/12/2012

Yes, it was the oxy trailer thing at the beginning of the season.

by Anonymousreply 9704/12/2012

Yeah, it looked as if Errol was dead on the floor, face-down.

Just watched it again. So much stuff happens it's hard to take it all in with just one viewing.

by Anonymousreply 9804/12/2012

Returns on Jan. 8th for Season 4.

Can't wait!!

by Anonymousreply 9912/02/2012

Is there a new thread for season 4?

by Anonymousreply 10001/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 10101/09/2013

Nice rear-view naked shot near the beginning. I wonder if it was a body double, though. The upper back and shoulders looked considerably broader than the lanky Olyphant.

by Anonymousreply 10201/09/2013

It was great last night. Loved the bear getting shot. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 10301/09/2013

I loved the scene with Raylan, Art, and Gutterson in the car...and then being called "perverts". This show is so good!

by Anonymousreply 10401/17/2013

From the previews:

Hot Thug: Maybe next time I'm gonna put a little limp in that Gary Cooper walk o' yours.

Raylan: Well, now, that sounds a little bit like a date!

by Anonymousreply 10501/17/2013

The hillbilly family was pretty funny. The kid giving Raylan the double barrel bird was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 10601/17/2013

Loved Art's line about getting a 'marshal stiffy' as the guys gear up to go after Waldo Truth. And of course there's the return of my favorite psychopath, Wynn Duffy.

by Anonymousreply 10701/17/2013

Lots of funny stiffy talk in this week's episode.

by Anonymousreply 10801/25/2013

Rachel and Raylan have such a great dynamic. I love that she gave him a beanbag gun--I totally missed that.

by Anonymousreply 10901/30/2013

Did I detect a little lesbian subtext between Rachel and the lady fighter? That would be an interesting angle to pursue, having just ended an unsuccessful marriage and all. The other marshal on their team, the cute young guy, has always seemed very gay to me, also.

by Anonymousreply 11001/30/2013

[quote] Did I detect a little lesbian subtext between Rachel and the lady fighter?

I picked up on that, too. But the lady fighter also offered to wrestle Raylan. Thoughts of a threesome...

I loved on the look on Raylan's face when he opened the van and saw all the chickens.

by Anonymousreply 11101/30/2013

When Raylan went to visit the hill people was anyone thinking The Hills Have Eyes?

Last night's episode was the best so far this season. I think they've finally kicked the season's main story line into over drive. Nice also to see Rachel and Tim getting more time this season.

by Anonymousreply 11202/07/2013

It seems implausible that so many twisted people could live in that small area...but I am hanging on for the crazy ride. I love this show so much!

by Anonymousreply 11302/13/2013

I couldn't watch the blowtorch scene. Had to close my eyes.

Is the Sheriff as good as dead? Or is he the mystery man?

by Anonymousreply 11402/13/2013

Loved this last episode, I don't know what's going to happen to the sheriff....

by Anonymousreply 11502/14/2013

Shelby better watch his back. If Boyd thinks he's poking around in Ellen Mae's disappearance he'll likely go after him. But I'm sure that sooner or later it's going to come out that Colton screwed up and that she's still alive.

Does anyone think that Tim and Colton are going to shoot it out at some point?

by Anonymousreply 11602/14/2013

Oh yes, Colton and Tim are heading toward some thing, but what I love about this show is that it's unpredictable.

by Anonymousreply 11702/14/2013

I'm pissed because I missed the episode the other night and now can't find a place to watch it free online. FX never shows anything free online except new series.

by Anonymousreply 11802/14/2013

Ah, those crazy romantic kids, Boyd and Ava. I never would have guessed that Boyd craved respectability.

R117 I know what you mean about unpredictable. That face-off between Raylan and Quarles in last season's finale did not end the way that I thought it would.

R118 Check your cable service. You might be able to catch up on VOD. I think Comcast has Justified on demand, but I don't know about any others.

by Anonymousreply 11902/14/2013

R118, i think FX will repeat the episode throughout the course of the week.

by Anonymousreply 12002/14/2013

Thanks, R120. I did check and they are done showing this episode. I will check with my cable company, but it is a small one and they are close to worthless.

by Anonymousreply 12102/14/2013

Wow, so much happened in this week's episode. Lots of dead bodies, mischief and we're getting close to learning who is Drew Thompson. I think it's Sheriff Shelby.

by Anonymousreply 12202/28/2013

I got the impression from all the disses against Neil McDonough during the series three were the result of the writers not liking him very much.

by Anonymousreply 12302/28/2013

I love Gutterson and can't wait until he has his real final showdown with that bloated junkie who killed his friend. Patton Oswalt and his machine gun was hilarious. This show is SO good!

by Anonymousreply 12403/07/2013

What's really going on with Johnny? Seems like one minute he's out to usurp Boyd and extract his revenge, and then the next minute he's showing some kind of loyalty towards their group. Maybe his heart and his head are in conflict and he's not even sure what he should ultimately do. Or is he just pretending to be a double-crosser in front of Wynn to get inside dirt?

by Anonymousreply 12503/07/2013

Are they creating a spinoff called "Ancient"?

by Anonymousreply 12703/07/2013

I started watching this season, but I've picked up most of the back story. I just totally forgot why they're looking for this Drew guy so hard. I know they found a bag inside the wall, it was discovered that the person connected with this bag was this Drew character.

There is a network of people (Boyd, those two teenagers, guy who got his foot cut off, Arlo, the dirty cop from last week, Wynn Duffy) who are involved in this Drew situation. Can someone remind me why. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 12803/07/2013

Drew Thompson witnessed mob leader Theo Tonin shot and kill an FBI agent, then stole millions in coke from Tonin. He faked his death to stay alive.

Tonin wants him dead b/c he's a witness to his crime.

Duffy wants to find him because Tonin ordered him to.

Boyd wants to find him because he has a deal to take over some of the local drug running.

The Marshall's want to find him because it's their job. Solving a 30-year-old mystery will look good. Especially Art who wants to retire.

by Anonymousreply 12903/07/2013

And since Raylan is about to be a father, for the first time in his life he's giving thought to career advancement. Catching Drew Thompson could mean a promotion to Art's job when he retires.

by Anonymousreply 13003/07/2013

Lots of typos in my message:

Shot = shoot

Marshall's = marshalls (auto correct)

And Boyd's deal to run drugs was with Duffy, assuming he finds Drew.

by Anonymousreply 13103/07/2013

[quote]Tonin wants him dead b/c he's a witness to his crime.

Didn't Drew/Shelby also happen to shoot Tonin in the eye? I thought this was the driving force behind his need to find him.

by Anonymousreply 13203/08/2013

[quote]And since Raylan is about to be a father, for the first time in his life he's giving thought to career advancement. Catching Drew Thompson could mean a promotion to Art's job when he retires.

NOOOOO!!!! That would be the death of the show. The whole Raylan mystique is about him being a bit of a borderline outlaw/rule-breaker himself. Putting him behind a desk in a bureaucratic position would be tantamount to castration-lobotomy for the character.

by Anonymousreply 13303/08/2013

Don't worry, R133. The show's producers know that. It's never gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 13403/08/2013

Based on the tweets from people who've seen the Justified screeners, it sounds like the show is continuing to accelerate its pace and intensity in the remaining episodes. Hang onto your cowboy hats!

by Anonymousreply 13503/12/2013

What happened to the woman who was carrying Raylan's baby? I started wathing the beginning of this season, so I guess this relationship started last season. When this season started, they showed him kissing some chick, next thing, she's gone. They never show her again.

There was a scene of him coming home and finding money gone out of a drawer and he looked pissed. Was she a just grifter that ripped him off and ran? Was she really pregnant? I don't need the whole back story, just a quick explanation.

by Anonymousreply 13603/13/2013

Another question - is Winn Duffy gay? In last night's episode, I noticed he has that hunky bodyguard. Why is Winn always in that RV? Isn't he a rich crime boss or something.

by Anonymousreply 13703/13/2013

Wynn Duffy is a bit of an enigma. It's hard to tell what really motivates him other than money.

I thought the RV was because he likes to be mobile, it's harder for the feds to track him, and he likes traveling comfortably.

Last night was the first time that I honestly wondered about Duffy's sexuality, since the bodyguard's robe was kind of hanging off of him. It was hard to gauge his reaction to Quarles penchant for roughing up rent boys other than as something he could hold over the guy.

by Anonymousreply 13803/13/2013

I wondered that after last night's episode, too, R138.

R136, the woman carrying Raylan's baby is his ex-wife. She married a real estate guy, who, IIRC, died tragically and got back with Raylan. It didn't work out, though, because he won't take a desk job. The woman from part of last season and this season that he hooked up with ran a bar and he lived over it. She was pulling scams with her husband who went around performing in illegal fights. She ripped off Raylan and left with her husband.

by Anonymousreply 13903/13/2013

Thanks, R138 and R139. Guess I wasn't giving the show my full attention. I watched the eps with the woman running scams with her fighter husband. I guess I just zoned out at some point and thought the scammer and the pregnant female were one person.

I thought it was a little weird that one minute he was with her at an OB/GYN office and the next her "husband" was back and she was stealing Raylan's money.

by Anonymousreply 14003/13/2013

I did a double-take at the Wynn's bodyguard situation, too! I suppose he could have been in a robe because he has to sleep in the RV in order to provide 24-hour protection. What was really gay, though, was Wynn's cute little sleep mask. Not to mention that bad botox, brow-lift or whatever the hell it is that has him looking perpetually frightened.

by Anonymousreply 14103/13/2013

Also add the way Wynn assumed Mike would flee to Canada with him.

Here's what show runner Graham Yost said to EW about the scene where Mike woke up Wynn.

[quote] EW: Johnny (David Meunier) called a sleeping Wynn to tell him that Shelby is Drew, and Mike brought Wynn the phone wearing his robe. Little things like that always get me.

[quote] Graham Yost: Those are the little things that we honestly get a huge kick out of in the room. When Andron and VJ came up with that, we all just laughed. We just thought it was funny. And then let’s give Duffy a sleep mask. (Laughs) I think when they shot the first take of it, Mike was not wearing the robe, he was just shirtless. It was like, “Okay, we kinda think that Duffy is gay, but we don’t know. There’s nothing wrong with it, but let’s just make it more mysterious.” And him in a robe is funnier. We never lose sight of the fact that we want to be a funny show.

by Anonymousreply 14203/14/2013

OK, what just happened with Colt? Why did he kill the sniper guy? Was it because he feels some kinship towards Tim and didn't want to see him gunned down, or could it have been the plan all along for Boyd's crew to pick off Tonin's people one by one while they were working together?

by Anonymousreply 14303/20/2013

I don't know, but that phone call between Colt and Tim got me all hot.

by Anonymousreply 14403/20/2013

I thought it was just Colt taking the opportunity to improve the odds by killing Mort. Not sure if it was actually planned with Boyd. For the first time we're seeing what Boyd saw in him in Iraq and why he made him part of his crew. This will make it so much better when Tim does kill him

"Dick, dick, dick...." The dialogue in that scene felt like something Quentin Tarantino might have written.

Constable Bob is indeed on touch son of a bitch. Drewbacca! Drusitania! BTW any one realize"Love Train" was playing while Yolo was beating up Constable Bob?

by Anonymousreply 14503/20/2013

I actually thought Oswalt's character was going to say, "And now you've ruined this song for me."

by Anonymousreply 14603/20/2013

Love Train playing in the background was strange, but it sort of fit. And Constable Bob really is a one touch SOB.

by Anonymousreply 14703/20/2013

Excellent episode last night. Best of season 4 (so far).

[quote]This will make it so much better when Tim does kill him

What makes you so sure it won't be the other way around? Seriously, other than Raylan and maybe Boyd, I don't think there's any character on the show who couldn't be killed off. I like all the Marshalls, so I hope that isn't the case, but I don't see any guarantees.

I'm pretty sure Johnny is a goner.

by Anonymousreply 14803/20/2013

So I guess playing "Love Train" was supposed to be giving the viewer a little subliminal hint about them using the coal train for the getaway vehicle?

I have a hunch that Drew Thompson is gonna pull a DB Cooper in the end. Which would be cool, because he has become rather likable, after all, and it would fit right in with Art's little speech about just how "bad-ass" he really is. He's got skills...

by Anonymousreply 14903/20/2013

Almost 24 hours and no comments about the season finale? Is it wrong that I want to give Boyd a hug?

by Anonymousreply 15004/03/2013

I wanted to give Boyd a hug, too. He's absolutely gutted about Ava. I wasn't really sure just why Ava sent Jimmy away and tried to roll Delroy's body into the slurry pond on her own. It was inevitable she would get caught as soon as she went solo.

Still, I thought the Boyd and Ava saga was a lot more heartbreaking and involving than Raylan's wrap-up. I felt strangely underwhelmed by the Detroit thugs threatening Winona, and then seeing the predictable Raylan reaction was just a non-event.

But at least Wynn Duffy came back to save the day!

by Anonymousreply 15104/03/2013

I'll give you guys Boyd. I'll hug Raylan. Then I'll top him and we'll snuggle all night.

by Anonymousreply 15204/03/2013

I was certain that Winona was going to die, especially since Natalie Zea is on a new show. I loved the scene when they killed the three Detroit thugs, and I didn't see the limo scene ending that way at all.

But I agree: poor Boyd.

by Anonymousreply 15304/03/2013

...And I'm hugging Ava in prison.

by Anonymousreply 15404/03/2013

That last scene...I wanted to give Raylan a big hug as he sat in his father's backyard and stared at Arlo's grave as the show closed with You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive.

by Anonymousreply 15504/04/2013

I've really worked at not getting involved with this show because I know I'll fall in love with it (and with Tim again.) Dang, how does this man manage to get better looking as he gets older!? And why straight? It's just so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 15604/04/2013

R156 Give into it. You're denying yourself one hell of a great show.

Now that Wynn Duffy runs everything east of the Mississippi for the Detroit mob, will he move out of the RV and into a house? And will Mike move into that house with him?

I've been re-watching season one on DVD. I'd forgotten this line from Art to a shirtless Raylan standing in the doorway of his motel room.

Art: Are you cold standing out here? Raylan: Why? Art: Because I can’t keep from staring at your nipples.

by Anonymousreply 15704/04/2013

Art has some of the best lines. "Nobody here smokes? This is Kentucky, not Sausalito! What's the matter with you people?"

He's so good I've put aside my intense hatred for him as Frank Bennett from "Fried Green Tomatoes."

by Anonymousreply 15804/04/2013

Dear R157. Zowie. I had no idea. I just ordered Season 1 on Amazon and will catch up shortly. R156.

by Anonymousreply 15904/04/2013

Bump - Season 5 starts next week, and I'm so looking forward to it. Here's to seeing some shirtless Raylan, Ava scoring some ladies behind bars, and the return of Dewey Crowe!

by Anonymousreply 16012/30/2013

I did a marathon of the first 4 seasons after Breaking Bad ended. Great show, doesn't take itself too seriously like some others I can think of. Dewey's one of my favorite characters - I was surprised to learn that the actor that plays him is Australian.

I hope Dickie Bennett comes back to the show at some point, too.

by Anonymousreply 16112/30/2013

Tim Gutterson. Have the writers given him a sexuality yet?

I assume he's straight but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 16212/30/2013

I hate Dewey Crowe.

by Anonymousreply 16312/30/2013

Love Dewey and am looking forward to seeing more of him this season.

by Anonymousreply 16401/16/2014

Season 3 was the best show on TV.

Season four was good but not exceptional Justified standards.

Let's see if they get back to exceptional in Season 5.

by Anonymousreply 16501/16/2014

R165, was season 3 the one with Mags Bennett? If so, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 16601/16/2014

I started watching 2 seasons ago, so I'm lost on some characters. Who was the teen girl who called Raylan, hoping he'd bail her out of jail?

by Anonymousreply 16701/20/2014

Boyd Crowder's jailbird girlfriend is looking tore up. The actress seems to have aged a lot since last season.

by Anonymousreply 16801/20/2014

The teen girl was Loretta. Her father was a weed-dealer for Mags Bennett. Mags killed him, then took in Loretta herself. Much of season 2 was Raylan trying to find Loretta's father because no one knew he was dead.

I suspect they're not really using make-up on Joelle Carter/Ava (or making her up to look rough) since she's supposed to be having a rough go of it behind bars. From the red carpet pics I saw of the Justified premiere, Joelle looked great.

by Anonymousreply 16901/21/2014

I didn't know this show was starting so soon. I missed the 1st 2 episodes.

When I watch this show anymore, I think of it as Mitch McConnell's voter base.

by Anonymousreply 17001/23/2014

God, Boyd Crowder is a badass. He's like a ninja - showing up in people's bedrooms in the middle of the night and blowing them away. Michael Rappaport is tiresome, trying to act like a Louisiana boy.

I'm suddenly finding Walton Goggins very sexy. Check out his narrow-hipped walk in his tight black jeans.

by Anonymousreply 17102/06/2014

Michael Rappaport is trying too hard, and failing, with his accent. I love all the crazy Crowes, though.

by Anonymousreply 17202/13/2014

A little disappointed in this season. It's still a good show, and I'm not dropping it, but it seems a little more scattered this year, the story isn't as tight as other seasons.

And a little too much killing. Not that I'm saying there shouldn't be violence, but every week there's a few more people killed with no repercussions for the murderers.

by Anonymousreply 17302/13/2014

It's almost like Justified has caught the "Sons of Anarchy" disease in which there's more violence, worse language and inconsistent story lines without any real pay off. Is that just what happens when you run out of ideas?

by Anonymousreply 17402/13/2014

I agree with R174 - I was shocked at the amount of bloodshed and murder in this season. I started watching 2 seasons ago and I don't remember so many people being blown away back then. Boyd has been on a killing spree in the last couple episodes. I saw the season when Ava killed the guy (the reason she's in jail now); I didn't see that coming. It was eye opening to see that even she was ready to kill at a moment's notice.

I also have a hard time with Raylan not putting Boyd in jail. Raylan is smart - he must know that Boyd is a drug running killing machine and hasn't been able to find the proof to put him behind bars> Did I miss something in earlier seasons? Weren't they childhood friends or military buddies or something; did Boyd save Raylan's life so he gave him some kind of immunity?

by Anonymousreply 17502/13/2014

One of the best shows on TV IMO, and it jst keeps getting better. Yes, it's very violent, because it deals with very violent characters & subject matter.

Timothy Olyphant is a god, by the way. And a very under-appreciated actor.

by Anonymousreply 17602/13/2014

Walton Goggins has so much swagger! He's like a white Samuel L. Jackson (his character on Justified reminds me of Jules Winfield from Pulp Fiction, too). It's a shame that this show doesn't get the props and awards that it richly deserves. The writing and acting is up there with Breaking Bad, IMO.

Oh, and the actor who plays Art is utterly brilliant. He usually steals the scene any time he's on screen.

by Anonymousreply 17702/15/2014

R162, no they haven't said much about Gutterson's sexuality (or anything else for that matter); at the end of last season, they established him as this very troubled, very conflicted guy but then never touched it again this season. I get it that Walt & Tim are the "stars" but I think they are missing out by not developing the secondary characters. Tim could turn out to be a bigger headcase than Raylan

by Anonymousreply 17802/15/2014

That's funny R177 - I was just thinking the same thing about WG. He sounds like he's imitating a black man when he's composing his flowery sentences. I loove how he said "get me my GOTT DAMNED money!" in the last episode.

I also carefully examined his outfit last week - he dresses like a 1890's goth cowboy. He wears the tight black jacket over a black vest with a chain across, like he has a pocket watch. He has his collars buttoned up to the neck with a skinny black tie. Then the jeans and boots. Styling! Watch his walk - he looks pigeon toed. His walk reminds me of young William Peterson in "To Live and Die in LA". If you've seen that movie you will totally remember WP's stride.

Someone remind me - why did Art punch Raylan last week? I'm blank.

by Anonymousreply 17902/16/2014

Because at the end of the last episode, Raylan confessed that he shot the gangster in the back of the car. We didn't see him admit it; the screen faded to black as he said something like "X didn't shoot X; and I should know...".

I love Justified, but I don't always remember the names of the non-regular characters.

by Anonymousreply 18002/16/2014

The sooner that Michael Rappaport is killed off, the better. He is horrible in this; he ends every other sentence with the word "man", like that makes him sound edgy or badass. He just sounds like he's trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 18103/20/2014

Question from a recent viewer: I missed the season when this guy Dickie Bennett was the bad guy -- what was his story line?

It's obvious he was in cahoots with Dewey Crowe, but what else happened (Raylan shot him)?

by Anonymousreply 18203/20/2014

Really like the show & Tim Olyphant, but this season does come across as "looser" than previous ones. Too many storylines I think. I'm hating the one with Ava in jail...totally unnecessary & unrewarding IMO.

They've also pretty much eliminated Raylan's co-workers. I don't think I've seen any of them on-screen, other than his boss, all season.

Alicia Witt is terrific in her role.

And IMO, there's not too much crime, violence & murder. This is a show about crime, violence & murder.

by Anonymousreply 18303/20/2014

and ancient?

by Anonymousreply 18403/20/2014

My favorite scenes in this latest episode involved Dickie Bennett and/or Dewey Crowe and of course that showdown between Raylan and Danny Crowe. I've been hoping that Raylan would shoot Danny, but the way Danny actually died was even better -- very Elmore Leonardesque.

by Anonymousreply 18503/20/2014

Come on, Ava is able to kill that woman so easily? She can just saunter into this chapel, late at night, with no guards around. Make it a little more believable.

This show is nothing but people double crossing and back stabbing other people. Boyd got scammed by the Crowes, that old biker guy got scammed by those black guys, Boyd scammed the Canadians for the drugs, the Mexicans took back Boyds stuff, Dewey took Boyd's stuff, Danny shot various people just because, the Crowe sister backstabbed Raylan's social worker GF. Yeesh - move away from there.

by Anonymousreply 18603/23/2014

I'm also turned off on Justified by Nick Searcy's recent twitter rant; it's not just that's he's right wing - I expected that. He just sounds like such a flaming asshole.

by Anonymousreply 18703/23/2014

Why Mary Steenburgen on this show; her character was supposed to be menacing to Boyd, but it just didn't work with her baby voice. She's another one who has messed up her face; she looks like a cross between Marlo Thomas, Goldie Hawn and Chef.

by Anonymousreply 18803/27/2014

Searcy on the show is a fatass himself. He's got that gut. Very unattractive. I liked his character OK, but he's just gross.

by Anonymousreply 18903/27/2014

Mary Steenburgen was great. I hope we see a lot more of her. I think she could make a great big bad.

by Anonymousreply 19003/28/2014

I just noticed my typo -- that should be Cher.

by Anonymousreply 19103/28/2014

And here I was thinking what a fine job she did strapping down those big, brown, salty balls.

by Anonymousreply 19203/28/2014

Kind of a meh season finale but at least they got rid of that very annoying Michael Rapaport.

There will be trouble in the Crowder household next season -- full of secrets and lies!

by Anonymousreply 19304/08/2014

It was an okay season, but disappointing compared to prior seasons. I do think they brought it around nicely at the very end of the finale to set up the last season.

by Anonymousreply 19404/09/2014

Does anyone else think that Raylan might not get out of Harlan alive?

by Anonymousreply 19504/09/2014

I think they won't kill him in the last season. They've been dangling that damn baby of his in our faces for 2 seasons. I think they're gonna let Raylan have a happy ending as a daddy.

Boyd.... he's dead meat.

by Anonymousreply 19604/09/2014

by Anonymousreply 19711/22/2014

I'm split 50/50 on Raylan getting out alive. Olyphant has a pretty dark sense of humor as you can see from this show, and wouldn't be surprised if they ended on a down note.

by Anonymousreply 19811/22/2014

The season premier was so good, however, I hate what happened to Dewey; he was one of my favorite characters on the show.

Judging by the phenomenal season premier and the previews of the upcoming episodes, this may turn out to be the best season since season 2.

by Anonymousreply 19901/25/2015

I am glad Dewey is dead. I might tune back in.

by Anonymousreply 20001/25/2015

The only one of the classic sidekick bad guys still alive is Dickie Bennett, I guess. Johnny, Dewey, the other Bennetts, all of the Florida Crowes (except Wendy) -- all dead.

by Anonymousreply 20101/25/2015

So, how much do you like this show?

by Anonymousreply 20202/09/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!