Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A magical place where every child has his or her own unique food allergy!

[quote]The school makes a "stop sign" for each kid, with a list of the restrictions on it, and those are on the food cart so teachers won't serve the wrong thing to a kid. They're also a nut-free facility.

[quote]We accomodate all diets, allergies, and food sensitivities at Montessori Children's House. In the Primary class we are currently dairy, gluten, peanut, egg, and sesame-seed free. It gives us (and the children) the opportunity to prepare and taste new things!

My child does not have an allergy, but he is nevertheless a special tender blossom!

[quote]My child does not have a life-threatening food allergy (thankfully!), but he does have a great number of severe food intolerances that affect his behavior and his ability to function socially with others. His preschool is great -- kids all bring their own snacks and kids are not allowed to share food. They tell us ahead of time if any group food will be served. And they keep a special stash of treats for him (which we provided) just in case a parent drops by with a surprise treat for the other kids due to a birthday or other celebration.

[quote]My child should not have to miss out on vital childhood experiences because of his allergy, and his life shouldn't need to be at risk because someone had to have granola with cashews at lunch. People who feel otherwise need to gain some perspective.

It's also an honor to have one of these children in your midst:

[quote]Nowhere, in any of the articles I have read, has anyone talked about the fact that the disabled child has given all of her classmates an opportunity to act out of their highest ethical selves.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22709/08/2014

My peanut buter sambitch just revisted my mouth after reading that load of crap.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 104/10/2011

Unfuckingbelievable.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 204/10/2011

It's amazing our species hasn't died out yet. How have we survived for all this time with all these toxic peanuts around?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 304/10/2011

[quote]severe food intolerance

Wtf? Does the fact that I hate brussels sprouts fall under this category?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 404/10/2011

[quote]Have you investigated smaller, in-home programs? You might be able to find one that is more willing to adjust the whole place for you%0D %0D Yes, let's just adjust to entire world to accomodate YOU.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 504/10/2011

I see a DataLounger has already begun to stir the shit:

[quote]Perhaps food allergies are nature's way of thinning the herd and weeding out the weak seed from the gene pool? It's also interesting how food allergies only seem to affect the upper classes.

[quote]Posted by: margochanning | April 10, 2011 at 12:49 PM

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 604/10/2011

"severe food intolerances that affect his behavior and his ability to function socially with others"

That really is a terrible cross to bear.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 704/10/2011

I fucking LOVE that signature that R6 posted.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 804/10/2011

"I understand that Celiac is a serious disease, and this will probably anger some, but I have to say it. I think it is wrong to place rules and restrictions on other children because of your child's medical problem. My opinion is, if your child is not old enough/ responsible enough to not share food / ovoid things they are not supposed to have then they probably are not ready to be at school with other children. If I didn't trust my child to make safe choices then I would just keep him/her home with me. I'm referring here to pre-school / school, which is optional until age 7. An age I think most kids can make safe choices. If what you need is "daycare" then a small environment where a caregiver will closely monitor his intake would be appropriate.

Posted by: we love peanuts! | April 04, 2011 at 08:54 AM"

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 904/10/2011

That board is going to explode when the parents get back from the country club this afternoon and read Margochanning's response. They've already trashed someone who suggested that a minimum wage childcare worker might not be the best person to oversee your child's delicate health.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 1004/10/2011

This is simply insanity and the world must be truly spinning off its access if this is what goes on in schools these days. If kids can't eat peanut butter, cookies or drink milk because of the genetic freak sitting next to them, in the words of Sondheim, "I don't want to know."

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 1104/10/2011

[quote]FTA: Imagine the feeling in the pit of your stomach when the school calls during the day - Because parents of kids with food allergies don't worry about their kids falling off the playground and getting hurt at school. We worry they'll be rushed to the hospital unable to breath because a friend [bold]spilled a glass of milk near their lunch[/bold].

Really? "Spilled a glass of milk near their lunch"? [italic]Really?[/italic]

Perhaps you should teach your allergic child not to hoover up somebody else's spilled milk, ya stunned cunt!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 1204/10/2011

LOL, I just copy-pasted R7's remark on their site!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 1304/10/2011

The Montessori system is very gay friendly. Many gay parents send their kids there.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 1604/10/2011

There is a difference between having an allergy and parents deciding that their kid have a "sensitivity".%0D Allergies is of course something to take serious, but it seems parents make their kids special by having all of these sensitivities. %0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 1704/10/2011

[quote]There is a difference between having an allergy and parents deciding that their kid have a "sensitivity". Allergies is of course something to take serious, but it seems parents make their kids special by having all of these sensitivities.

It's a form of Munchausen by Proxy.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 1804/10/2011

"he does have a great number of severe food intolerances that affect his behavior and his ability to function socially with others."

In other words, he's a spoiled brat who pitches a fit when told to eat his vegetables.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 1904/10/2011

Parents these days want to protect their children from all situations that may come their way.%0D %0D Just not gonna happen. Not possible. But they don't mind inconvenience for everyone else to do it.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2004/10/2011

"The Montessori system is very gay friendly. Many gay parents send their kids there."

No surprise, since many gay parents redefine helicopter parenting on an hourly basis.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2104/10/2011

[quote]So while my then-3 year old learned to ask with suspicion "does it have soy in it?" when someone pulled out a food box, it was difficult to explain that no, french fries weren't safe because they'd been fried in soy oil. (We found this out after he vomited and had GI distress for 3 days.)... [bold]His list of restricted foods is now so long he simply turns to us and says "Will it make me sick?"[/bold]

Jesus Christ. Making a 3-year-old think every single thing he might eat is a danger? Way to fuck up a kid, yups.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2204/10/2011

[quote]They're also a nut-free facility.

Really?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2304/10/2011

I cannot stop laughing at the DataLounge responses. I will copy/paste them here because these are sure to be deleted soon:

[quote]This is such an important subject to us Moms. Our little Connor has an extreme allergy to paste. He can polish off an entire tub of it in craft class before Marge, our loving activity Director has noticed. He must be monitored at all times

[quote]And our sweet, precious Tiffany has a violent intestinal reaction to any milk product. Just one glass and she's sky-riding like nobodies business. Bless her heart. It pains me so to hear the others mock her and her flatulence.

[quote]Thankfully, there's a site like this to share and find that our problems aren't nearly as large as some of the other Moms have to deal with.

[quote]Posted by: Mrs Patrick Campbell | April 10, 2011 at 01:16 PM

[quote]"severe food intolerances that affect his behavior and his ability to function socially with others"

[quote]That really is a terrible cross to bear.

[quote]Posted by: millions of starving Darfur orphans | April 10, 2011 at 01:18 PM

[quote]Why are upper middle class white children so prone to food allergies and food intolerances?

[quote]Posted by: Tanisha | April 10, 2011 at 01:53 PM

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2404/10/2011

Parents like this blame EVERYTHING on "food allergies" or "food sensitivity". Kid throwing up? Complaining of a tummy ache? Having a temper tantrum? Being cranky? Good god, it's a LIFE-THREATENING PEANUT ALLERGY! %0D %0D It makes you wonder how they think vaccinations and flu shots work.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2504/10/2011

OMG, most of these women are from Portland, OR. I probably shop right next to them in Whole Foods and New Seasons.%0D %0D THESE are the people who are "Keeping Portland WEIRD"!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2604/10/2011

This one had me crying! God bless you bastards!

[quote]I can sympathize. Everytime I eat Sugar-Free Oreos I get a severe case of the trots like you wouldn't believe. I'm not talking no loose turd here or there, I get full-on Aunt Jemima Maple Syrup diahrrea! Luckily a block of Cabot Xtra Sharp Cheddar binds me up real good.

[quote]Posted by: Gail Grinds | April 10, 2011 at 02:07 PM

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2704/10/2011

[quote]This is simply insanity and the world must be truly spinning off its access

Oh, dear.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2804/10/2011

"Sleepingw/yrhusband" just ruined it.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 2904/10/2011

I LOLed at R12. I hope to someday be able to work "ya stunned cunt!" into a conversation.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3004/10/2011

%0D "...I welcome the opportunity to teach him about tolerance and accommodating others. Someday, my son will need someone to accommodate his needs- whatever they may be."%0D %0D Raising a bossy bottom, are you?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3104/10/2011

Eh, I thought the Gail Grinds one ruined it.%0D %0D I'm generally against these DL trolling expeditions. But if you're going to insist on doing it, at least be witty about it, not fucked-up, racist and scatalogical.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3204/10/2011

This thread has me cracking up. My cats are looking at me like I went nuts. How long before one of those fraus has all those comments deleted?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3304/10/2011

[quote] Allergies is of course something to take serious, but it seems parents make their kids special by having all of these sensitivities.

Personal disorders cannot be ignored...

Given their genteel proclivities

Meaning no offense it

happens they resents it

Ladies in their sensitivities!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3404/10/2011

[quote] Please please please stop the hate. The people posting here illegally and falsely, making fun of life-threatening disorders that threaten the fabric of our families' very being, should be ashamed of themselves. Just because you people can put anything you want - and I do mean anything - into your mouths without an immediate bad result doesn't mean that my Trevor does not go into seizures if we drive past Busch Stadium on I-64 during a Cardinals game with the windows open because of the shelled peanuts that are allowed to spread their toxic dust all over the downtown area. How fortunate for you that your coarsened chromosomes permit you to live God knows what kind of depraved lives with nutmeats and whole milk products and raw eggs in your malted without dying on the spot. Some of us have been blessed to show the world that children truly are delicate creature - our babies are the canaries in the coal mine of this dying civilization. SO please quit being mean.

Posted by: Holly Massengill

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3504/10/2011

"People who feel otherwise need to gain some perspective."

Pot, kettle, etc.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3604/10/2011

[quote] Most of these so-called allergies are the fault of the parents for not exposing their kids to the world in their first years. That is how you build immunity, not by keeping them in hermetically-sealed environments. Its been done this way for 1000s of years, but it seems like these allergies have exploded in the past few years. Why? Because the current generation of parents all think their kids are little miracles. They're raising a generation of kids who will be even more self-absorbed and socially dysfunctional than they are.

Posted by: Reality Check

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3704/10/2011

I'm allergic to every food in existence EXCEPT peanuts!%0D %0D You other people are KILLING me here!!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3804/10/2011

[quote]our babies are the canaries in the coal mine of this dying civilization.

This quote alone makes me want to go play in traffic so I don't have to be exposed to such enriched bullshit again.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 3904/10/2011

You, um, DO know that that post was one of our camp's satire posts, right?

I mean, obviously you don't, because you're a moron, but still...

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 4004/10/2011

Our little PC troll outed you guys posting over there.%0D %0D "Just because you people can put anything you want - and I do mean anything - into your mouths "%0D %0D Whoa! Now who needs to stop the hate! Nice gay joke, sweetheart. %0D %0D And signing off as Holly Massengil? Really? A Cheryl joke on this kind of board? Grow up, please.%0D %0D Posted by: more of a DLer than you'll ever be | April 10, 2011 at 04:09 PM %0D %0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 4104/10/2011

For the love of Christ. My daughter had a milk allergy that would make her break out in hives and throw up. We waited it out and by three she was fine. Magically, she was able to function in a normal pre-school. She hates milk but loves ice cream and cheese. I know a peanut allergy is awful to deal with and I'm not comparing the two but why are we turning our children into such invalids? It drives me nuts.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 4204/10/2011

Yeah, R40, I didn't actually realize that quote was in jest. Well done. I'll own the moron hat for the day.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 4304/10/2011

[quote] Please give your husband a real son before he abandons you and the children. No man wants a son with a mussy. Posted by: GreatSantini

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 4504/10/2011

Does Donald Trump have any food allergies? Can we shove a bag of peanuts down his throat and hope he chokes to death on his own vomit?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 4604/10/2011

[quote]It drives me nuts.%0D %0D ...pun intended?%0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 4704/10/2011

My sister lives in Portland. She suffers from fibromyalgia & depression, & thinks she's allergic to pretty much every food I've ever heard of -- she regularly visits a chiropractor, a Chinese herbalist, an acupuncturist, & several naturopathic "doctors" -- she takes her pets (who are also allergic & neurotic) to a naturopathic "vet". She consults astrologers & psychics, believes in reincarnation, & talks to the dead.

She wasn't like this when she lived in other places.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 4804/10/2011

It used to be a point of pride for parents to have kids who were rough-and-tumble: "Oh, Danny fell out of his treehouse and scraped up both his knees really bad. I put some Bactine on him and he was back out there climbing trees five minutes later - you know how he is..."

Today's parents are proud if their child is a miniature Niles Crane.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5004/10/2011

[quote]They're also a nut-free facility.

The rest of the article puts this statement in doubt.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5104/10/2011

[quote]Really? "Spilled a glass of milk near their lunch"? Really?%0D %0D In my day every kid was given milk at lunch and we usually used half of it sucking it into the straw and shooting at our friends. How did any of us make it out alive?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5204/10/2011

My special little Cameron is deathly allergic to stupidyt. I need about half of Datalounge posters to stop posting, permanently. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to experience the warmth of charity.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5304/10/2011

[quote] I have discovered that feeding my children a steady diet of raw steak, vodka and Benzedrine will kill even the most stubborn allergen pathogen in their tiny bodies. Posted by: missjoancrawford

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5404/10/2011

I'll go first. R55 is a wimpfrau.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5604/10/2011

I agree with R55 and I'm not even a lesbian.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5704/10/2011

I agree with R55%0D %0D But if it upsets the frau, I'm okay with it.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5804/10/2011

[quote]There is no such thing as fibromyalgia, [R48]. Your sister is just crazy, that's all. I do believe that fibro exists, but that's about the only point where I can agree with her. Of course she's crazy, that seems obvious. I'd wonder if there were something wrong with the water in Portland, but she only drinks distilled & purified bottled water (needless to say).

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 5904/10/2011

Portland has become a caricature of its old self: between the urban mommy posse and the 20-something hipster doofuses and the uber-foodies and the folks with $41K electric cars and $3000 bicycles....it's like a bad sitcom.%0D %0D Oh wait.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6004/10/2011

I love our DL field trips!

Hopefully, nobody will tattle on us to Webbie and she won't delete this thread.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6104/11/2011

I think all of you should get detention and be forced to eat peanut butter cups.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6204/11/2011

[italic]It's called "Natural Selection" you furry slits and it's how our species propagates and survives![/italic]

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6304/11/2011

Also agree with r55, but DL has always been a bastion of hypocrisy. This is nothing new.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6404/11/2011

[quote]A lot of kids in his class have food restrictions. The school makes a "stop sign" for each kid, with a list of the restrictions on it, and those are on the food cart so teachers won't serve the wrong thing to a kid. They're also a nut-free facility.

Goddammit, this thread made me have a dream last night. A part of it was set in a preschool that looked just like the asylum in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The kids were playing with Legos and Louise Fletcher (in her Nurse Ratched uniform) was walking around with a cart that had dozens of laminated STOP signs on it, consulting a chart, handing out carrot sticks or whatever, then marking it off on the chart. And it was weirdly, deathly quiet.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6504/11/2011

Funny, when I was a kid and someone had allergies they just dealt with it. The entire school didn't have to change or monitor everyone's behavior. It was the responsibility of the kid with the allergy. Can you say "Over protective and intrusive to the extreme" children. Now get over yourselves.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6604/11/2011

LOL, you just know these little brats will be abusing every illegal - and legal - drug by the age of 15.%0D %0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6704/11/2011

By the way, reading the posts of those women finally make it easy for me to understand why so many men cheat on their wives.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6804/11/2011

"Parents like this blame EVERYTHING on "food allergies" or "food sensitivity". Kid throwing up? Complaining of a tummy ache? Having a temper tantrum? Being cranky? Good god, it's a LIFE-THREATENING PEANUT ALLERGY! "%0D %0D The reason parents blame tantrums and bad moods on "food sensitivities" is because food is something they can control. Control the food intake, control the child's behavior! And do your damndest to control anyone else who might give the child food, because a bite of the wrong stuff might shatter all your illusions. Annoying, isn't it?%0D %0D Oh, and if there's an agreement to observe the Michfesters and not troll, it's because they are friends and allies. For all their eccentricities they deserve respect.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 6904/11/2011

[quote]The reason parents blame tantrums and bad moods on "food sensitivities" is because food is something they can control. Control the food intake, control the child's behavior! And do your damndest to control anyone else who might give the child food, because a bite of the wrong stuff might shatter all your illusions. Annoying, isn't it?

And if you can't control the food, I'm sure big pharma has a pill your child can take.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7004/11/2011

Well? Are you happy fellas?%0D %0D "Obviously a majority of the last postings are from someone just trying to cause a stir with hurtful words. %0D Is there any kind of moderating on urbanmamas? Because to those momma's with kid's that have food issues this is REALLY abusive. %0D Our children's health is nothing to make light of. %0D Seriously."%0D %0D %0D %0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7104/11/2011

I'm just surprised it finally occurred to them after so many hearfelt posts. Dim wits.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7204/11/2011

Does anyone else think that if one of these mommies didn't produce a child with an allergy or sensitivity, that they would put the kid up for adoption? This drama is more about making mommy feel special than protecting thier kids.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7304/11/2011

Allergies are on the rise because our culture is so sterilized. We do not have the germs around us as children that our ancestors had to contend with, and so as adults we are delicate little flowers.

Let your kid eat a little dirt, poke his nose, squish bug, all without washing his hands. This is how a healthy immune system is made.

You can always teach him to blow is nose when he is three.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7404/11/2011

The DL comments were deleted?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7504/11/2011

[quote]I love our DL field trips!%0D %0D %0D Me too. It is good for the loons like freepers and over-protective Fraus and zealots to challenge their entitled positions.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7604/11/2011

I pity the teachers who get caught in the middle of these more-overprotective-than-thou mothers.%0D %0D I wonder why the schools serve snacks at all, if there are so many objections to what's served. I mean, what can you serve that won't offend someone's dietary or political sensitivities? Raw lettuce grown in the school's organic garden that all the parents are free to inspect?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7704/11/2011

Yep, comments were deleted.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7804/11/2011

[quote]Funny, when I was a kid and someone had allergies they just dealt with it. The entire school didn't have to change or monitor everyone's behavior.

Same here... and as far as I remember, anyway, I don't recall any of my classmates spontaneously falling over dead because someone brought peanuts, milk or flour-laden treats into the classroom. We knew some people were allergic to some stuff because it came up now and then, but only because the person who was allergic did something to manage it themselves.

The difference between then and now is that my parents weren't anxious, paranoid, certifiably crazy people armed with cell phones, twitter, and social networking. When you combine overreactions, irrational fears, and social media, you now have the ability to activate the fears of millions of crazy people with just a few keystrokes.

We all thought the button we had to worry about killing us was in the White House, but it turns out that it's on the iPhone of the overbearing urbanmama down the street.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 7904/11/2011

"Oh, and if there's an agreement to observe the Michfesters and not troll, it's because they are friends and allies. For all their eccentricities they deserve respect."%0D %0D Talk about making up the rules as we go along. "If there is, it's because"?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8004/11/2011

When did "snacks" become a part of the school day? We always had lunch, of course, and once in a very great while food had to be served, like on Valentine's Day or something. But it sounds like food is now an integral component of every school day. True, DL parents?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8104/11/2011

This allergy mom has a MANIFESTO! And she's fucking nuts.

I AM NOT SENDING IN SAFE TREATS...

[quote]If I send in safe treats for both my sons, it gives them an out for excluding them. The teacher, the school, the parents..... they all don't have to worry, feel guilty, care, etc., as long as we give them an out....[bold]I feel that their teachers should have to look at my children, while they sit there, not being able to partake in what they allow to come through their doors. I also feel that the parents & students who want to bring in unsafe foods should also have to look at my children. They all should know that they are knowingly excluding my children.[/bold] Sending in a safe treat already sets them apart. They won't be getting the same thing, or be able to be part of the so called sharing that people want to do when they bring in junk food. So why should I make it easier for them?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8204/11/2011

R82 that mom sounds like a bonafide bitch and a lunatic. And for the person who said they are raising future Niles Cranes', AMEN!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8304/11/2011

I'm in my mid forties, there were NO children in my school with these so called "food allergies," WTF?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8404/11/2011

These are all diseases of white privilege. You don't see the poor and non-white forming social networks and social groups and base their social life around things like "gluten intolerance" and such.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8504/11/2011

[quote]I am so green when it comes to all of this. I have spent the last 6 years with my first child trying to figure what he was allergic to and how to keep him safe. It never occured to me that while I was educating my child about his food allergies, that I should have been trying to figure out a way to keep him safe at school. Preschool was a 2 day a week deal and they became nut free when he started. But the public school system is in the "kid business" so therefore I thought they would watch over my child. Boy was I mistaken. %0D %0D #1 son - peanuts, tree nuts, walnuts, eggs, every weed, grass, tree, mold, dust, cats, dogs, horses, and has asthma%0D #2 son - peanuts, shellfish, eggs, every grass, weed, tree, mold, dust, dogs, cats, horses, cows, and has severe asthma%0D %0D Jesus christ, just go ahead and sterilize them already and keep them in a bubble.%0D %0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8604/11/2011

We should do the DL field trips on a weekly basis.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8704/11/2011

I'm of "white privilege" to a degree, I am not familiar with all of these bullshit food allergies; who are these people?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8804/11/2011

I have two friends with severe peanut allergies.

It's amazing that they somehow survived this long.

I'm kidding

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 8904/11/2011

My BF teaches at a wealthy, mostly white school in the suburbs. There, if parents want to send kids to school with treats (for birthdays, etc.), they have to give a week's notice so alternate arrangements can be made for allergic kids.

I teach at a large, urban, mostly minority HS in the city and there is no such requirement. Kids could eat peanut butter and jelly all day, every day.

I know there are people who genuinely suffer from severe allergies but if a kid is so bad off he can become severely ill just from being near an allergen, maybe he shouldn't be in school.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9004/11/2011

[quote] if a kid is so bad off he can become severely ill just from being near an allergen, maybe he shouldn't be in school.

Right on, r90.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9104/11/2011

They give snacks to bribe the kids. My sister teaches 5th grade, used to teach 3rd grade. Since they can't kick the bad kids out of school or really discipline them they have to cajole and bribe them to behave. These are kids that are not afraid to get into trouble because their parents always blame the teacher. My sister couldn't get one of her students to sit down and when she told him to go to the vice principal's office he called her a bitch in front of the class. His mother said it was her fault because he could tell she didn't like him. And of course, she really liked him after that.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9204/11/2011

"These are all diseases of white privilege. You don't see the poor and non-white forming social networks and social groups and base their social life around things like "gluten intolerance" and such."%0D %0D Like I said above, most of this insanity is an attempt to control a child's behavior through diet. Some upper-middle class people tend to have an overly magical view of food anyway ("if you eat organic you'll never get cancer"), and if they don't want to discipline their kids, they see food as an acceptable way to deal with the little monsters.%0D %0D If Jeremy has a screaming tantrum, say it's because he had candy and sugar makes him hyper. If Emily is cranky, blame the milk she had at breakfast, and call it a "food sensitivity". Therefore, they believe if they can keep the kids away from sugar or milk, they won't have to deal with the kids' real issues.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9304/12/2011

Actually, the problem is that these are mostly well educated, white women who have either made the decision to be full time mothers or had the decision made for them (more on that later). They are constantly being reminded that a woman who is not in the workplace has no value; so, they create these dramas to give themselves value. We did not have these problems 40 years ago because mothers were content to be mothers, and being a mother was considered not only a valid choice, it was as admirable choice.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9404/12/2011

These women are self-absorbed controlling nutbags.

Being A Mother is just another movie running in their head in which they're the sole star. But the kids don't realize they're just a prop, and they go off script.

How do you explain it? ADD, food intolerance, sleep disorder, etc. Despite the endless energy expended to control the chemical environment, a chemical explanation is an easy way out of having to confront their inner demons. There's medication for chemical problems (or at least Pharma says there is), there's no pill for empty souls.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9504/12/2011

A few weeks ago I had my brother, SIL and nephew down for a visit. I have 3 cats, which they knew about. SIL is allergic but mildly and takes medication. She will get stuffy but as long as she doesn't actually touch the cat she is usually fine. Luckily it was a lovely day so we spent most of our time on my deck outside. BUT she has transferred this anxiety over allergies to their son, 6, who was in hysterics because one of the cats brushed up against him. My nephew is fascinated by animals but has no idea how to act around them so he taunts them and then when my cats swat him or something he has these screaming, crying fits and goes on and on about his allergies, which are completely unfounded and only got into his head because of mom. This kid will grow up being terrified of cats and dogs which is kind of sad. Another female relative has 2 sons who she is convinced have inherited her allergies, which are numerous, and pumps them full of antihistamines and drugs all day so they are listless, do poorly in school, don't sleep, and don't eat. I've seen them with circles under their eyes and they too are terrified of going near any animals. Both of them are projecting their own health issues onto these kids.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9604/12/2011

They have eliminated all the critical comments many of which were not spam. They just can't take anyone who even mildly disagrees with them.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9704/12/2011

Did you see this apology on the home page?

"We've been spammed. We are so sorry for the inappropriate conversation on the Gluten Free thread...."

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9804/12/2011

I say hit them again, those fussy messes.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 9904/12/2011

Was this from peanutallergy.com or urbanmammas R98?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10004/12/2011

I was a fairly allergic kid, and knew at an early age which foods I could and could not have. And my mom actually cooked separate dinners for me when the rest of the family was having something I couldn't eat. (So much for the bitch who wants EVERYONE to SEE her children not eating).%0D %0D At last year's "bring your kid to work day" I watched as one mom in our cafeteria instructed her child to ask what was in the food (this at the check out line, not the serving station) and inquire if she had her epi-pen.%0D %0D I agree with the people who've suggested here that some of the parents of these kids have instilled such fear into them that they are ruining the kids' lives. An allergy doesn't have to run your life, it's about coping skills, not about demanding everyone change to your tune.%0D %0D (Though if you ask me over for dinner, I will tell you I'm allergic to crustaceans.)

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10104/12/2011

LIMA BEANS

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10204/12/2011

That's okay R101. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if we ate them though, right? Most people do accomodate allergies and don't mind unless you are like those moms who hysterically ban it from their very presence.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10304/12/2011

How are these precious flowers going to run the country one day? They are being raised in bubbles without any decision making skills, sense of reason and logic, and no spirit of adventure.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10404/12/2011

See threads like this keep me coming back to DL year after year. While it can get a little sharkey and mean, I agree 100%.%0D %0D Knowing my mother even if I had an allergy to a certin food she's make me eat it anyway.I can picture her standing over me with her hands on her hips saying "allergy my ass ".

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10504/12/2011

I sent OP's link to my own mother and she about died. She couldn't believe how wrapped up in their kid's lives some of these moms are much less have blogs dedicated to raising kids. She's old school and when I was little she was a good mom but always had her own life of which I was a small satellite revolving around. She definitely wouldn't have raised me to be "a goddam weenie" in her words nor made any health issues the problem of the school or the rest of the world.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10604/12/2011

What do you want for breakfast? Oatmeal or Oatmeal?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10704/12/2011

I think R105 and I share the same mother.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10804/12/2011

At least deleting all the snark on the original thread has brought back some of the real crazies:

[quote]Our son,now 4, has a delay in his speech development and a diagnosed communication disorder. It has taken awhile to have him understand and communicate that he cannot eat gluten, corn, soy, cow's milk, eggs, wheat, oats, and cane sugar. It has also taken ME awhile to navigate this. While I share these allergies, I am now in a rather unfortunate position trying to cook every meal and snack (eating out is rarely an option for us).

See how special? We not only are BOTH allergic to everything under the sun, my unique sunflower has a "diagnosed communications disorder."

[quote]I simply cannot parent my child solo six days a week while my husband runs his business to support our family - while cooking every single meal and snack. Cooking has become a full time job...And then there are times like the other day, which was his birthday. I forgot his lunch and snacks because I didn't want to forget to bring his birthday cupcakes (which the school normally provides). By the time I arrived at a coffee shop for down-time, I realized this, rushed home on my bike, and rushed back to his preschool with his lunch sack.

Funny how cooking is a "full-time job" but Mom still has room for "down time" at the local coffee emporium in between "rushing" everywhere on her bike.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 10904/12/2011

WTF?!! She cannot "parent" one kid AND have to prepare all of his food? Bitch, my mother worked full time and raised four kids, and fed us three squares a day. A snack was an apple or a banana. %0D %0D I'm allergic to strawberries, cantaloupe and shellfish. I know not to eat it. %0D %0D Unfuckingbelievable.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 11104/12/2011

Jesus, how do some of these people exist?%0D %0D [quote]Chanda(mother of 4)%0D %0D [quote]Sidney-8 1/2(beef and chocolate, grasses, molds, weeds, guinea pig, hamster & asthma)%0D %0D %0D [quote]Jake-6 1/2(peanut, all tree nuts, seasame seeds, (avoiding all seeds&coconut)eggs, trees, grasses, weeds, molds, cats, dogs, guinea pig & eczema & asthma)%0D %0D %0D [quote]Carson-4 (milk, tree nuts(avoiding peanuts and seeds)soy, egg, beef and pork, cats, dog, guinea pig, hamster, grass, mold, dust mite and EE)%0D %0D %0D [quote]Savannah-1 1/2 (milk, beef and egg, dog(avoiding peanuts, tree nuts, strawberries, sesame seeds, green beans, peas and corn%0D %0D %0D %0D Four kids and every one of them have multiple allergies? Whichever poster said Munchausen by Proxy is right.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 11204/12/2011

There's an allergy to beef??? I can now die because I've heard everything.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 11304/12/2011

Oh and Savannah is allergic to green beans, peas and corn? No, bitch, Savannah just doesn't like to eat them. Neither did I but my mama made me eat them.%0D %0D Munchausen by Proxy or Chanda needs to be sterilized.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 11404/12/2011

God forbid other parents don't take their children's peanut allergies as seriously as these people do.%0D %0D [quote]I was at a meeting tonight for my daughters first grade class (she doesn't have allergies it is my younger son...not yet in school). However, we were discussing class snack and someone mentioned that salted peanuts were a good snack and the teacher mentioned that one child was PA. His Mom said..."oh, that is okay if you want to eat peanuts around him he doesn't react that badly"%0D %0D %0D [quote]HELLO!!! I felt like screaming at her right there. I am preparing myself for a BIG JOB when my son starts school to keep things safe for him and was hoping for support from other PA parents. Goodness, I hope they are not all like her since I will not be okay w/ a class of first graders eating salted peanuts around my son. Should I address this Mom? I mean, my PA child doesn't even go to school yet so it really doesn't effect me BUT...%0D %0D %0D %0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 11604/12/2011

Why do they make a point of saying they are allergic to dust, pollen and mold? Most of the people I know down here are to some extent and we survive without making a big deal out of. Take some damn medicine and get over it.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 11704/12/2011

Oh, and this is priceless:%0D %0D [quote]Hello! This is my first post...ever. My son was diagnosed last october w/peanut allergy. A couple of hives from pretzels were the first clue, but I figured he got salt in a scratch or something and it flared up. Then he nibbled a bit of his sister's leftover PB&J crust, and got another hive. And a scoop of vanilla ice cream gave him an itchy ear and a giant eczema patch behind his ear. And so here we are. We have been extra careful since then, and thus, have had no reactions. Well, about a month ago, he was at Grandma's house and managed to get a hold of a peanut butter jar. He didn't open the jar, and so I know he didn't eat much, but I do know that he had a thin smear of peanut butter on his lip that he was licking. Now comes the question. He had no reaction. None. Does anyone know why? He got hives from a pretzel stick, so I know it wouldn't take much to give him a reaction. He was fine. A month later and I'm still in shock. We, of course, are NOT giving it another go, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has had something like this happen?%0D %0D %0D %0D So he eats a jar of peanut butter and [italic]has no reaction[/italic]? OMG, whatever could that mean?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 11804/12/2011

WTF do hives from a pretzel stick and peanut butter have to do with each other or am I misreading something?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 11904/12/2011

"I simply cannot parent my child solo six days a week while my husband runs his business to support our family - while cooking every single meal and snack."%0D %0D Uhh . . . my grandmother did this. With six kids. Except it was 7 days a week because my grandfather thought his job was "providing"--period.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12004/12/2011

[quote]He didn't open the jar, and so I know he didn't eat much

Eh?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12104/12/2011

If their numbers continue to grow this rapidly maybe the practical solution is to put them in special classes for the allergic.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12204/12/2011

[quote]she has transferred this anxiety over allergies to their son, 6, who was in hysterics because one of the cats brushed up against him. [bold]My nephew is fascinated by animals but has no idea how to act around them[/bold] so he taunts them and then when my cats swat him or something he has these screaming, crying fits and goes on and on about his allergies, which are completely unfounded and only got into his head because of mom.

R96, you should spend some private time with the child and teach him the proper way to deal with cats.

Don't be a jerk about it, don't insult the kid or make him defensive, just teach him that cats are sensitive and need gentle petting, not roughhousing or tormenting.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12304/12/2011

R121, there was PB around the edges of the jar and/or on the label.

Filthy pigs.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12404/12/2011

Jesus Christ. Vanilla ice cream gave him "itchy ear"?

I must be failing in my duty as a mother, because I wouldn't even notice if my son had "one hive" or "itchy ear."

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12504/12/2011

You must not be a helicopter mom R125.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12604/12/2011

Someone needs to slip these kids a pb cupcake washed down with a big glass of milk and get the fuck over it. That should cover the nut-gluten-milk allergies all in one swoop. And get the laptops away from those women please!!!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12704/12/2011

The food sensitivity kids should be put on the short bus to allow the "normal" kids a normal life.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12804/12/2011

I would love for these bitches to go back in time to MY childhood, where we ate dirt outside, splashed around in stagnant water and everybody's parents smoked in our faces. These delicate flowers wouldn't have lasted a fucking week.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 12904/12/2011

I had allergy testing done before because I was breaking out in hives and couldn't figure out what it was. I first tried to rule out the obvious - soaps, laundry detergents, any new food, etc. A standard allergy test is a series of about 200 skin pricks with the potential allergen, spread out over 4 or more appointments. After the first two, it was showing that I had a sensitivity to almost every single thing they tested me for, including grass, wheat, pollen, dust, dogs, and I forget what else. It had me so freaked out that I didn't go through with the rest of the testing, and never did find out why I was breaking out in hives. It eventually stopped.%0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13004/12/2011

I pity the child whose mother gets into one of these MY-child-has-more-allergies-than-yours pissing matches!%0D %0D And if getting the child appropriate food is an issue, why aren't they teaching the child to cook and prepare its own food? Hell, I was cooking full meals for the family when I was seven or eight (really), and some of these ninnies won't trust their kid to get a snack out of the refrigerator.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13104/13/2011

I'm 52, my mother started this allergy trend.

Let me explain.

Growing up my mother TOLD ME that I was allergic to chocolate & eggs, however I never had a reaction to them. Possibly one time my cheeks got red from eating one or the other but....and this is where it gets weird, decades later I asked her, did you have me tested for these allergies?

"No".

Well how did you know I was allergic?

"Your father has asthma, I just figured you were and I think you had a reaction once".

But you never got me tested right?

"No".

Mind you, my mother was the ORIGINAL frau like these bitches. Loma Linda health foods, Roman Meal brown bread (TASTED LIKE SHIT!). Since the peanut allergy thing wasn't known at that time I got peanut butter and jelly for lunch a lot - love the pnb & jelly - HATED THE BREAD.

She gave me literally a TON of huge horse pill-like vitamins to take starting at 5 years old. Lots of vitamin c. And I'd frequently get ill, with flu and throw up, or my stomach hurt, I'm sure it had to do with those horrible vitamins she shoved into me.

Further, she was a frau, loved HERSELF the most, is narcissistic to the max, we don't talk, she wants nothing to do with me. She is also gullible and white-lies a lot. For instance, she is now a "nutritionist", but she has no degree. On her website are 3 "certificates" but they're all from the SAME PLACE, and I looked it up & it's one of those places that you pay for the cert, they send you the books you look up the answers to the questions. She basically is a fraud. She does have one "real" herbal certificate. But really, she's the originator of all this shit.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13204/13/2011

[quote]I simply cannot parent my child solo six days a week while my husband runs his business to support our family - while cooking every single meal and snack.%0D %0D In addition to trying to control every single factor in their child's life, this is also about: "I'm a martyr. You have no idea how I suffer for my child (but to be clear, it's more than you do for yours.)"

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13304/13/2011

Wow, R130, that's insane.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13404/13/2011

Who the fuck is allergic to beef?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13504/13/2011

[quote]Who the fuck is allergic to beef? Cows were eating peanuts.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13604/13/2011

R120 we must have the same grandma.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13704/13/2011

Grandpa: "Have some canteloupe."%0D Me: "Can't eat it. Got sick last year, remember?"%0D Grandpa: "That was last year."%0D Me: "Won't I get sick again?"%0D Grandpa: "Take a bite and let's see."%0D %0D Haha, I took a bite and nothing happened! There was no time for this kind of rubbish when I was a kid. Especially not from my grandparents. You ate what they gave you and that was that.%0D %0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13804/13/2011

[quote]There's an allergy to beef??? I can now die because I've heard everything.%0D %0D I was allergic to beef as a kid. I outgrew it. (Possibly because it was corn-fed beef. I had a corn allergy as well. OUTGREW IT.)%0D %0D I was tested for these things and had a sensitivity; but once again, I managed. And as I got older, I tried them and (as some doctors are telling parents now), by taking things in smaller amounts, you can lessen the allergy.%0D %0D (I'm the one who's still allergic to lobster, and yes I'd still come over and have something else. But not if you have a lot of cats).%0D %0D I've had allergies that went away, and developed a couple as an adult. It's a changeable thing, the ol' immune system, and these parents who are making their children afraid of everything are doing them a great disservice.%0D %0D I have a very good allergist now, and pretty much do anything I want (except eat lobster and take sulfa drugs).%0D %0D (Though I have actually come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog or cat).

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 13904/13/2011

Oh my, I think Ms. R132 has some issues.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14004/13/2011

The Terror of the Stray Goldfish Cracker: An Allergy Drama in One Act

[quote]All we want is to let our kids be kids, and its sometimes hard to do that when we have to be on the lookout for things like, say a stray goldfish cracker at the park. One of the saddest experiences we had was when we took our kids to the park, and there was ice cream that had spilled and been smeared all over the slide. It was there in smaller amounts all over the play structure, and we had to leave. That was the first time she said that food allergies aren't fair.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14104/14/2011

Did it not occur to this entitled cunt to wipe the ice cream off??

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14204/14/2011

People can be allergic to hamsters? That's so random. I can understand being allergic to furry animals in general, but ... just hamsters?

Again: it's not possible to suffer a true allergic reaction to peanuts other than through direct ingestion. Reactions from inhaling "peanut dust" are likely somatic. Make sure your kid carries an epipen or has someone around who knows how to use one, and don't allow your kid to be unsupervised until they're old enough not to put things in their mouths or eat others' food.

Technically it's not Munchausen, because a criteria for Munchausen is awareness the ailment is fake. These moms seem to genuinely believe their kids will die if someone eats a Snickers on the same plane, I think. But the posters are right, some of the PA Moms do read as likely mentally ill. I guess it would be Hypochondriasis by Proxy.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14304/14/2011

This has turned into complete mass hysteria.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14404/14/2011

Where did the stuff with "inhaling peanut dust" come from?

I've known people allergic to various nuts. They've never asked me to not nuts in front of them.

Is it true that some people are so severely allergic that just a whiff would send them into shock?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14504/14/2011

Is that for real R141? These women are fucking drama queens.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14604/14/2011

You know what fascinates me? Many hunger relief programs offer starving children in Africa a product called Plumpy Nut. It's a peanut paste that can be mixed with other things. And oddly enough, you just don't find starving children who are allergic to peanuts. Funny how they're all here, and particularly concentrated in the Pacific Northwest.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14704/14/2011

>>>Is it true that some people are so severely allergic that just a whiff would send them into shock?

There isn't a single recorded case of someone suffering a true allergic reaction to peanuts that wasn't from direct ingestion. It's not even physiologically possible, as allergies are to certain protein molecules in peanuts and those molecules can't be inhaled in dust/vapours. Unless maybe you're chopping up peanuts and snorting them like coke. People can and do suffer symptoms from peanut vapour, but those symptoms are not, in the medical sense, an allergic reaction, and the results of peer-reviewed studies differ as to whether they are somatic or not. An intolerance isn't the same as an allergy because an allergy is a specific immune system response. A food making you ill isn't neccesarily a sign you're allergic.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14804/14/2011

Like a squirrel, storing the nuts of life!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 14904/14/2011

Thanks, R148!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15004/14/2011

Not everyone "outgrows" their allergies.

I find it amusing that there is a segment of the DL population so very eager to condemn the sensibilities of others. Never occurred to any of you to consider each instance on a case-by-case basis.

Lots of unresolved issues being worked out in this thread.

Oh and yeah, you're a bunch of hypocrites too.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15104/14/2011

Who said everyone outgrows allergies? We are just condemning the PA moms hysteria and their entitlement issues. "The world must not eat peanuts because Caitlyn will die if she inhales one molecule!" Doesn't that seem a little overdramatic to you?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15204/14/2011

R130, I think the way those allergy prick tests work is to lay down a baseline by recording your reaction to each substance. You're supposed to react somewhat to every prick, & then the doctor measures your reactions against what's normal for most people & what's normal for you. So you need to complete the whole series in order to get the full picture.

When I had the series years ago, I showed at least a mild reaction to everything, including cats & dogs & the walnut trees that grew all over town -- yet I never reacted to those things in real life, despite being surrounded by them from childhood. But I did sneeze my head off the one time I put on a down vest, & my test showed a severe reaction to eider.

Anyhow, people do grow into & out of allergies & sensitivities all the time. Any allergist will tell you that's particularly true of children & adolescents, whose bodies are changing constantly. I'm old & it's happened to me with lots of things, both contact & food.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15304/14/2011

A poster up-thread said it R152.

And no, if "Caitlyn" is truly allergic and has reactions, why do I care if her mother tries to avoid it? And who am I say she isn't truly allergic, given that I have *no* evidence to the contrary? I do think that in most cases it is ultimately the responsibility of the parent to protect their child, but I have no problem with reasonable accommodations.

I just think there is a lot of projection going on with this topic. Very fundie-ish, in fact. And that's a shame.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15404/14/2011

I learned from a friend who has a peanut allergy that almost all brands of chocolate are produced in facilities that also process nuts. He is a chocolate lover but there are only one two brands (AERO and After Eight) that are safe for him to eat. He also uses separate dishes that only he can eat from.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15504/14/2011

Wow, you are totally missing the point R152. Mom's can do whatever they please UNTIL they start imposing their issues on others. It is not reasonable for the schools, restaurants and other public places to accomodate her child. We talked about the woman who wrote to the sports arena and told them quit selling peanuts. Really??? I wouldn't expect them to accomodate me either. Are you a lost visitor from the PA forum?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15604/14/2011

It *is* reasonable for school to make reasonable accommodations for kids. They do it all the time for lots of circumstanceds. I did say it was important to judge each case separately. What is your problem with that?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15704/14/2011

R155's friend clearly is not fit for survival, and should just eat a big Snicker's bar and fucking die.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 15904/14/2011

Peanut-free table is fine. No peanuts is unreasonable.

See, that wasn't hard, was it?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16004/14/2011

Wonder how I managed to grow up, going outside to play, running around the neighborhood, eating whatever at friends houses, trading food at school...%0D %0D I feel a bit sorry for kids today. Their parents live in fear of everything... meanwhile they walk out into red lights in Manhattan gabbing on their phones pushing their mega strollers.%0D %0D You have to deal with human weaknesses and nuttiness with a grain of salt and a shrug.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16104/14/2011

There might be environmental differences to consider, charlie.

We grew up in a different time.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16204/14/2011

But R160 why are you bitching then? We are making fun of women wanting the whole fucking world to stop for their kids yet you argue as if you want that too.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16304/14/2011

if the kid could produce a doctor's note stating a bonafide life threatening allergy that can be triggered by a whif of a food particle in the air, yes, by all means reasonable accomodations should be made. In other cases, allergic kids should know not to eat anything if they don't know the ingredients. By the time the are old enough for school they should know how to handle an allergic reaction.%0D %0D And one other thing, stop feeding these kids so damn much. We truly are obsessed with food and eating in the US.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16404/14/2011

R163 please review all my posts and tell me where you get that.

It should be obvious that my post was directed to those who doubt the existence of allergies in entirety.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16504/14/2011

No one here denies they exist in entirety. We just think the majority of these women are projecting their own issues onto kids and overdramatizing the effects of these allergies on the kids. You have to admit that, no?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16604/14/2011

I wonder what the "environmental differences" are?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16704/14/2011

No, I don't "admit" that. Perhaps in some cases, but the majority? No.

And how do you purport to know what the majority of these women are doing? And why?

I'm allergic to cats. I guarantee you that was no "projection" by either parent.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16804/14/2011

Interesting Q&A with pediatric allergist from Mass General Children's Hospital and director of its Food Allergy Center. As many as 30% of all people think they have a food allergy when in reality, only 4% do. %0D %0D I'm going to go post this over on the urbanmamas website.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 16904/14/2011

All you have to do is read the posts at the PA forums and you will realize they are all neurotic and some quite insane sounding. I suggest you pop in and read some. I'm allergic to cats too although I have 3 living with me.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17004/14/2011

allergy/sensitivity.

Splitting hairs.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17104/14/2011

Notice how this mental disorder affects "urban" mamas.

Country folk don't put up with this bullshit.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17204/14/2011

In the PA forum linked upthread, one poster was complaining how another mom whose son goes to her kids' school said it wasn't neccesary to make the entire place peanut free because her son gets hives when he eats peanuts, and how awful and irresponsible that woman is, and how she makes it harder for devoted PA moms like them. Someone replied that the woman needed to be told that exposure to peanuts makes the allergy worse, and:

"If this person is friendly enough, then you may tell her that whenever your child starts school, that peanut products can not be around your child because of his reactions and the possibility of DEATH occurring."

Right, the way to handle women who deal with their kids' allergies in a sensible non-histrionic way is the scream DEATH at them.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17304/14/2011

The insane ones won't be happy until the normal "it's our problem" moms are as crazy as they are.%0D %0D I thought exposure to the allergen was good. Worked when I was a kid.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17404/14/2011

I think it would be best for all of the precious little flowers if they were home schooled.

Or left on a street corner unattended for a few hours so that nature can take its course.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17604/14/2011

PEANUT ON THE LAND!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17704/14/2011

[quote]And one other thing, stop feeding these kids so damn much. We truly are obsessed with food and eating in the US.%0D %0D Which is why we are now a nation of disgusting lardasses. Back in the day, when people were obsessed with smoking and drinking instead of eating, the majority of the population was marvellously slender.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17804/14/2011

[quote] allergy/sensitivity. Splitting hairs.

Not really.

Allergy = life threatening adverse reaction.

Sensitivity = upset stomach, might make you puke.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 17904/14/2011

Funny bit on The Office last night about a peanut allergy vs. sensitivity.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18004/15/2011

Details R180.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18104/15/2011

Can you imagine these bitches at the first Thanksgiving?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18204/15/2011

Point of the tread? Food allergies aren't real? People shouldn't talk about them? Clarification.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18304/15/2011

Point of thread? Soccer mom entitlement "the world should revolve around my child".

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18404/15/2011

BTW: "The View" is a soap opera. People tune in to see what kind of a train wreck will happen next. It's water cooler talk

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18604/15/2011

On The Office, the new manager played by Will Ferrell references his peanut allergy as the second thing about him while introducing himself to the staff. Later, when Michael is jealous, he brings in a plate of peanut butter sandwiches to share with the office. They at first were like "Michael, that's not cool, this is serious". Will Ferrell's character got all freaked out because the last time he was around peanuts he itched for three days. He was EXTREMELY uncomforable. At that revelation Jim did his eyeroll thing for the camera.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18704/15/2011

You just know these Allergy Moms are the type who never let their husbands fuck them up the ass.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18804/15/2011

[quote]Point of thread?%0D %0D If you can't read & understand the [bold]diverse[/bold] opinions expressed here, you don't deserve to have a computer.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 18904/15/2011

At Urban Baby, this woman is the mother of a child with a "fatal peanut allergy" - but her cries eventually arouse skepticism among her fellow Munchausen-peanut parents.

[quote]In order to "qualify" as an allergy you must have levels over 5. My son's level is over 100. It's off the chart so can't be measured. ...I understand that other parents get frustrated and annoyed by accommodations that have to be made in classroom but that's life.

Then we have a cockamamie tale about her kid coming home with a peanut butter cookie in his backpack, which could have killed him. When asked why he put it in his backpack, Mom says the teacher "snuck" it in there. Fortunately, the cookie's deadly powers were thwarted by the fact it was in plastic.

This is when the other parents start to call BS:

[quote]So your DS has fatal allergy, you find his school to be clueless and negligent, you lie awake in fear every night that the next day he'll wind up dead on the classroom floor, BUT YET you pack him off to school every day, just hoping it will all work out for the best?

[quote]How does he function in the real world? My dc could have not washed all the peanut butter off his hands and then touched a store door handle, escallator rail, or library book. Can your child go to public places at all?

[quote] Having read some of your updated responses, you now sound like a HUMONGOUS PITA. All you really want is for people to come on here and tell you how hard your life is, that the school and teachers are terrible, etc. With some care and common sense, your child will be fine. Please stop being a drama queen.

[quote]You should probably keep your kid in a bubble if his allergy is so sever. If my kid had cancer or another immune disorder where he was at risk from colds, I'd keep him home. Same thing. Signed mom that has lived an entire lifetime with a peanut allergy.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19004/18/2011

"My son's level is over 100. It's off the chart so can't be measured."

The hits just keep on coming with this crowd. Even when you think they can't top themselves, you're (fortunately proved wrong.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19104/18/2011

I love how the allergy fraus are getting in a pissing match - "MY child's food allergies are worse than YOUR child's food allergies!" Like having the kid with the worst allergies is like a higher social status or something.%0D %0D They're all fucking crazy.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19204/18/2011

WTF is a DS?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19304/18/2011

[quote]WTF is a DS?

A Disturbed Sow aka Mom of child with food allergy

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19404/18/2011

[quote]WTF is a DS?

I think it stands for "Dear Son", much like DH is "Dear Hubby".

People who use terms like that are certifiable.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19504/19/2011

That Urbanbaby site that R190 linked to has a survey asking parents if they "enjoy" spending time with their kids.

The results?

18% say "Yes, most of the time we really have fun together"

14% say "Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's really dull and aggravating"

11% say "Honestly most of the time it's not fun at all, but it's not supposed to be fun"

and a whopping R57% admit that "I really don't enjoy it at all, and wish I could spend less time with them"

And lest you suspect, as I did, that a few trolls voted to fuck with the results, over 21,000 people have responded!

I doubt the site has that many trolls.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19604/19/2011

Wow, that's sad, R196.

Maybe life sucks when you can't sit down and relax with a peanut butter sandwich.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19704/19/2011

I was constipated all through my childhood. When I was at a home daycare, and it was a time for a snack, I got prunes. Everyone else got real treats. %0D %0D

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19804/19/2011

[quote]And lest you suspect, as I did, that a few trolls voted to fuck with the results, over 21,000 people have responded! I doubt the site has that many trolls.

You're probably wrong. DL isn't the only place sending trolls over to that forum.

I feel badly for people who really have kids with allergies -- apparently 4% to 6% of kids have some sort of food allergy. Lots of illnesses and conditions have some great resources on the 'net, but trying to get real information on food allergies must be impossible. Both the overprotective mom side and the we-hate-women-and-kids side are full of lies and ignorance about allergies.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 19904/19/2011

My child, Yoshe, is allergic to himself. I swear to God it's going to be the death of me. And him. Peanuts, no problem. Nibble his own cuticle, he's a futbol. Ah me.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20004/19/2011

That Urbanbaby survey is fantastic. I think I'll send the link to the media just to get some mainstream attention. I can just see the headline now "Most mothers secretly don't enjoy spending time with their kids".

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20104/19/2011

[quote]Then we have a cockamamie tale about her kid coming home with a peanut butter cookie in his backpack, which could have killed him. When asked why he put it in his backpack, Mom says the teacher "snuck" it in there. Fortunately, the cookie's deadly powers were thwarted by the fact it was in plastic.

LOL at the stunned cunt.

I wonder how she took it when the board backlashed on her: did she learn a lesson about exaggeration, or just run away all butt-hurt to find another board she can drama queen/cunt all over?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20207/03/2011

[quote]I was on subway with my 2 toddlers around noon-ish. I pulled out a PB&J and handed 1/2 to each kid. A nicely dressed woman (who did not have a child with her) comes up to us and says "YOU are the reason I cannot take my child anywhere. Don't you realize people have peanut allergies?"

[quote]I'm not joking when I say that a mom in my office recently told me she was thinking about quitting her job to better *manage* her son's peanut allergy because he had recently ALMOST eaten pb.

[quote]Was at a "five guys" burger joint in Virginia recently where there was a sign on the door [bold]asking people not to consume peanut products purchased there outside of yhe store because there were children in the neighborhood with peanut allergies[/bold]. I thought that was a little over the top.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20307/03/2011

I think it's weird that on a gay site, apparently grown men surf the web to find stuff to get enraged about concerning some mothers and their kids? WTF??

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20407/03/2011

Confidential to r204: It's not all Tony Awards and hairdressing tips around here, doll.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20507/03/2011

It's a form of Munchausen by Proxy.

No it is not. Munchausen by Proxy is a disorder wherein a parent or caretaker deliberately causes harm to a child in order to make the child sick. You can't make someone have an allergic reaction to food if they aren't allergic.

People with Munchausen by Proxy do things like feeding children poison or spoiled food, sticking things in children, deliberately overdosing them on medications, giving medications that are dangerous to the child, etc.

Being overly concerned with a child's diet is just a neurosis, not an act which actually harms a child.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20607/03/2011

I could picture myself being with my father when I was younger. Getting one of these food allergies. I could be dying and he'd say "walk it off you big Mary".

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20802/08/2012

There's obviously a number of formerly neglected kids on this board who go *apoplectic* at the thought of another child whose parents might go overboard. Kinda sad.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 20902/08/2012

lol, me too, r208. Back when I was growing up in the 70s my mother was one of the few career moms and my dad had the more flexible schedule. You bet your ass we were genuinely sick before we thought about taking a sick day from school because it meant staying home with dad. His philosophy was "you can't lay in bed all day, get up, get dressed and let's go clean the garage!" He had me out shoveling the driveway one time because a little fresh air would be good for me. I was 8 and had pneumonia.

But speaking of allergies, when I was in 2nd grade, I was labeled learning disabled and had behavioral problems and hyperactivity (this was before ADHD). Funny, I seemed like a normal kid at home so my parents didn't know what the school was talking about. It was my teacher who finally made the connection that I always used to act up after lunch/recess. I used to take packets of Strawberry Quik to add to my milk every day. She asked my mother to stop sending them with me and to try for a couple of weeks to see if I was better. I was - it must have been the sugar, back then they were still using Red Dye #2, and god knows what else. So I think there is a definite connection between food and behavior with some kids.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21002/08/2012

Is this true that whites have gotten so weak that they can't have a peanut now? WOW they'd never survive being Mexicans. In Mexico children dive for coins, stick them in their mouths, and swim home in filthy water. Some do die, but the ones that survive are chosen by the village to walk across the hot Sonoran desert to America to pick lettuce to put in Hunter's vegan sandwich, hold the mayo.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21102/08/2012

A Thai restaurant in my area recently got a bad online review by a woman whose kids with peanut allergies got sick while eating there. If you know your kids are allergic to peanuts, why would you take them to a Thai restaurant?

Regardless of whether all these kids actually have allergies or sensitivities, etc, I feel sorry for them being raised by mothers who can't seem to look after them properly.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21202/09/2012

bump for awesomeness

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21308/04/2012

[quote]Was at a "five guys" burger joint in Virginia recently where there was a sign on the door asking people not to consume peanut products purchased there outside of the store because there were children in the neighborhood with peanut allergies.

Did they also ask everyone to wash their hands before leaving the store?

Cuz if not, there isn't a whole lot of difference where people eat their peanut products!

(And what the hell kind of peanut products does a burger joint even have, anyway?)

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21408/04/2012

The Five Guys in St Augustine, FL closed w/o explanation a couple of months ago.

There was a sign on the peanut barrel instructing people not to take any of the peanuts out of the store.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21512/27/2012

Love this thread!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21609/07/2014

im a younger dude here, but my father recently told me he never met anyone allergic to peanuts. These kids today are soft, I mean really fucking grass allergies?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21709/07/2014

This very angry guy complained about all the peanut dust at a Five Guys and, even though he and his daughter are both allergic to peanuts, he still ate there. Then complained when he had allergy-like symptoms later.

The thread goes about as well as you would expect.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21809/07/2014

[quote]Lance Cumson

Was there really a character/actor/whatever named "Cumson"?

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 21909/07/2014

[quote] If kids can't eat peanut butter, cookies or drink milk because of the genetic freak sitting next to them, in the words of Sondheim, "I don't want to know."

R11 and everyone who has posted since needs to turn in their gay cards! I can't believe no one called out this whopper in three years!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22009/07/2014

Anyone who claims a food allergy, which is extremely rare, is to be ignored.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22109/07/2014

[quote]im a younger dude here, but my father recently told me he never met anyone allergic to peanuts. These kids today are soft, I mean really fucking grass allergies?

"younger dude"

(rolls eyes at grandpa)

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22209/07/2014

[quote]they're also a nut-free facility.

Guess again.

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22309/07/2014

^Heh!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22409/07/2014

Holy shit @ R218's link! ROFLMAO!

Sidenote: I think I just found my new favourite board. They even call themselves the Lounge!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22509/07/2014

OP, how pathetic that you are trolling "mommy websites."

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22609/07/2014

On the contrary, cuntess @ R226, the DL has a fond tradition of trolling other boards.

Just because you're too new and stupid to get it doesn't make it "pathetic" by any stretch of the imagination.

Now begone, foul bitch, before I cunt-punt you into next week!

by ...what are the chances these are all upper-middle-class women?reply 22709/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.