Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Simone Signoret

Just watched Therese Raquin and Diabolique and this dame is fantastic. Any gossip on this sassy French dame.

by Anonymousreply 3509/30/2013

No gossip, but if you ever get a chance to see the obscure movie "Games" (with James Caan and Katharine Ross), Simone just steals the entire show. It's a schlocky rip-off of "Diabolique" but she is still compelling to watch.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2011

Imho, one of the great actresses of the post-war. Left-wing, a humanitarian, and gifted with so much talent that half the actresses today should give up and get day jobs.%0D %0D Rent "Madam Rosa" and "Ship of Fools." Her scenes in the latter with Oscar Werner are heartbreaking. Bit of interesting gossip.%0D %0D She knew her husband Yves Montand was having an affair with Marilyn Monroe. She not only tolerated it, but also expressed concern for Monroe (iirc, she accepted the affair in part because she felt that her husband could help Monroe). Until she died Signoret always kept a scarf that was a gift from Monroe, and spoke fondly of her.%0D %0D Also, you might want to rent a forgotten film called "Term of Trial" with Olivier. Of course he is over the top--but Signoret is wonderful. Glad to reply here, since I am a huge fan of hers.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2011

She is a very charismatic screen actress. Fantastic face.

Her Autobiography "Nostalgia Isn't What It Used to Be" is quite good. She had an interesting life.

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2011

Loved her with Laurence Harvey in "Room at the Top".

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2011

I knew I had become a star when I shook hands with Simone Signoret at the 1985 Cannes Film Festival. She died four months later.

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2011

Her memoir is wonderful, but she also has a novel called Adieu Volodia, that's very well written. Put Casque D'Or on your viewing list.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2011

Good actress, but she got the Oscar that Audrey Hepburn deserved.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2011

[quote]I knew I had become a star when I shook hands with Simone Signoret at the 1985 Cannes Film Festival. She died four months later.%0D %0D Of embarassment Mme. Binoche%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2011

A guy who has menstrual fluid and afterbirth.

by Anonymousreply 909/28/2013

I love her but I've always wondered whether she was an alcoholic, because she aged really badly. Or maybe the bad genes are to blame?

by Anonymousreply 1009/30/2013

She was wonderful in The Seagull -- astonishing to think that she was only 47 at the time. Not sure that she aged badly, exactly -- she aged in that European way (one of the European ways) of accepting aging, accepting that if you really relish that last glass of wine or that fantastic food, there are going to be consequences, but they're well worth it.

I remember some review admiringly likening her skin to the texture of an orange peel -- it was sort of a feminist statement, like "this is who I have aged to be; deal with it." I completely respect it. Wouldn't emulate it, but I wonder whether that's because I lack the self confidence. Or that I'd just prefer to live to 65 and beyond, which she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2013

I was in Paris when she died and the story was almost the entire front page of every newspaper. There is no star here that would get equivalent coverage.

by Anonymousreply 1209/30/2013

I enjoyed her autobiography, "Nostalgia Isn't What it Used to Be".

r2 beat me to it but her scenes with Oskar Werner in "Ship of Fools" (both were oscar nominated) are beautifully played. And although a certain kind of all star Hollywood center left movie, it's worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 1309/30/2013

GAMES is marvellous and she is stupendous in it. No wonder she got the Oscar for ROOM AT THE TOP, the role is not that large but she does wonders with it. I have some of her early French ones to see, like LA RONDE.

She and Jeanne Moreau must be the best of those French post-war actresses, before the newer girls like Deneuve or Adjani or Audran got going.

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2013

Also wonderful in Jean-Pierre Melville's "Army of Shadows" and an English movie set during WWII about a secret group of Allied paratroopers infiltrating France called "Against the Wind".

She had a very unusual sexy, cool, almost lesbianic vibe attractive to both men and women when she was younger. Admirable actress as well.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2013

When I was a child, I wanted to see her in "Room at the Top" more than anything in the world. So I asked the nun during religion class why we couldn't see a movie the Catholic Legion of Decency had given a B, Morally Objectionable in Part for All. She didn't say anything specific about what we might see in such a movie, just that if we went and saw it, we might burn in hell for the rest of time when we died, or at least go to purgatory.

As my mother was nearly as fervent as the nuns, I didn't get to see the movie until years later. But I wrote the name SIMONE SIGNORET in caps over the front and back of my Catechism for that year.

I'll have to see the movie again sometime soon.

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2013

I just saw her in Ship of Fools over the weekend. Not a great movie, but she had a magnificent presence. I hate to say this - but I had never heard of her before.

by Anonymousreply 1709/30/2013

She was an incredible actress and a beautiful woman when young.

by Anonymousreply 1809/30/2013

Smoked herself to death. I always associated Monroe, Montand, and her with table-model cigarette lighters.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2013

Has any actress surpassed her performance in Diabolique? Certainly not Sharon Stone. Hitchcock was a great admirer of that film, and deservedly so. By far the best mystery ever made.

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2013

Amazon has that, R15, and it is free for Prime members.

by Anonymousreply 2109/30/2013

She also steals the show in the film the deadly affair. She looks much older than her age, though.

by Anonymousreply 2209/30/2013

Late in her career, she made Cher Inconnu, known in English as I Sent a Letter to My Love. Oh my God, I wept buckets!!

by Anonymousreply 2309/30/2013

She and Montand are buried in a very nondescript grave in Pere Lachaise.

by Anonymousreply 2409/30/2013

Yes, it wasn't the wine or good food that done her in, it was the cigarettes. They gave her a wonderfully husky voice, but messed up her face. And were most likely at the root of what killed her, pancreatic cancer.

She was a militant leftist and, along with her husband Yves Montand, was vilified by the US Congress, which makes me admire her even more.

by Anonymousreply 2509/30/2013

She looked like Shelly Winters by the time she did "Army of Shadows."

by Anonymousreply 2609/30/2013

Much as I love her, I think she's rather bad (and miscast) in THE SEAGULL. It's absurd to have Arkadina speaking in this very French accent, while everyone else speaks with British accents (including David Warner, who plays her son).

The only reason I can imagine Sidney Lumet put her in the film is that they had just done THE DEADLY AFFAIR together (along with James Mason, who is also in SEAGULL).

by Anonymousreply 2709/30/2013

r27, have you considered that in Tsarist Russia, a great many people, including members of the intelligentsia and theatrical worlds, spoke French rather than Russian, that because French was so widely spoken among these Russian classes, clearly they would be as comfortable with French accents as with Russian ones, and that certainly few Russians spoke either Russian or French with English accents?

But leaving that aside, if that's the only fault you can find with her performance as Arkadina, she obviously wasn't all that bad.

by Anonymousreply 2809/30/2013

Her character in ROOM AT THE TOP wasn't originally French. But it was felt that no British actress of the period could provide the necessary sultry sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 2909/30/2013

R28, even if Tsarist Russians were multi-lingual, why on earth would one person in a group of family and friends speak in an entirely different accent than everyone else? Arkadina is not French-born.

by Anonymousreply 3009/30/2013

I have another of hers to see, THE WIDOW COUDERC, in an Alain Delon boxset. She aged rather badly though, no doubt all those cigarettes (which also killed Silvana Mangano).

Didn't they have to exhume Montand's body to settle a DNA paternity case? Didnt hear of the outcome though.

She is terrific too in ARMY OF SHADOWS a very grim war story of the resistance in France.

by Anonymousreply 3109/30/2013

Perhaps because, unlike anyone else in the play, she's a celebrated actress, affected, fancies herself a woman of the world, studied and performed in Paris and has had an international stage career.

by Anonymousreply 3209/30/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3309/30/2013

Good one, R33.

by Anonymousreply 3409/30/2013

Do you realize she was the secretary at the collaborationist newspaper in occupied France during WWII? She did a 180 with Montand to save her neck. Towards the end, before her death, she and Montand came back to center, realizing that life in the Gulag wasn't all that rosy. They wre big supporters of Walecsa in poland. After her death, Montand steered even more to thje right.

by Anonymousreply 3509/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.