Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

To Sir With Love (1967)

You Americans really loved it, didn't you?%0D %0D That awful song, still makes Americans weak at the knees. 'OMG, Lulu!' Apparently the biggest selling single in the USA in the wonderful musical year of 1967 and now one of America's favorite golden oldies.%0D %0D Why? The film is so trite and the acting uniformly wooden, as was the clumsy, ham-fisted direction.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 9004/15/2013

That movie was before my time, but that is still a great song. I rented the movie just so I could see the movie associated with that tune. Movie was not so great.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 104/08/2011

Gotta say, I loved the tampon burning part.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 204/08/2011

Is that what was going on? I knew the girls had done something nasty, but wasn't clear on just what.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 304/08/2011

Love it, but I'm a sucker for UK films from the 60's.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 404/08/2011

Quite the attitude, OP? Are you being paid by the thread?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 504/08/2011

I just love it because Mr. Tibbs was in it. (That's what they call him, you know.)

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 604/08/2011

Haven't seen the movie but just love the song. No apologies here...

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 704/08/2011

What R6 said. And Lulu was flat and talentless, but the song had genuine emotion.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 804/08/2011

"I am sick of your foul language, your crude behavior and your sluttish manner. There are certain things a decent woman keeps private, and only a filthy slut would have done this and those who stood by and encouraged her are just as bad. I don't care who's responsible - you're all to blame. Now, I am going to leave this room for five minutes by which time that disgusting object had better be removed and the windows opened to clear away the stench."

Ironically, this was the same speech my mom used when she found me showing the neighbor boys my new dildo.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 904/08/2011

Poitier is poetry.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1004/08/2011

Aw, R9, you left out the best part of that quote:

*bellowing* "If you must play these filthy games, PLAY THEM IN YOUR HOMES--[*quieter*]and not. in. my. classroom!"

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1104/08/2011

I still watch it when it comes on. It's a sweet movie, and Poitier was hot. %0D %0D The way they lived looks so quaint, and looked quaint to Americans even at the time it was made, since the UK was at least 20 years behind the times with its lack of modern conveniences.%0D %0D I love all the 60s British cinema.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1204/08/2011

"The film is so trite and the acting uniformly wooden"%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D What does that have to do with the song? It's the song that's popular (according to you at least, I don't really hear it that much on the oldies station) not the movie. The movie is mostly forgotten.%0D %0D %0D And it's not like there haven't been shitty songs that were big hits in the UK. You guys listen to shit like Westlife.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1304/08/2011

About 5 years ago I was in a fast food restaurant in North Philadelphia when this song came on. The young kids working there started singing along!

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1404/08/2011

I've never seen the movie; don't like the song. My mother is fond of both, however.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1504/08/2011

[quote]Quite the attitude, OP? Are you being paid by the thread?%0D %0D That would be nice. Sorry about the attitude, just ignore it, like everyone else. I'm starting to get a clue as to why it was so popular. 'Quaint' & 'sweet'.%0D %0D I love British films of the 60s too, most of them, but this one, not so much.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1604/08/2011

Dreadful movie. Awful writing, awful color, awful everything.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1704/08/2011

[quote]The movie is mostly forgotten.%0D %0D 127 reviews on Amazon, 109 people give it five stars only 2, 1 star reviews. Quite something for a forty five year old, 'forgotten', low budget, British film.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1804/08/2011

Christian was FAB!

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 1904/08/2011

"127 reviews on Amazon"%0D %0D %0D %0D So what? And I'm guessing that not all those people are American (since you insist it's some kind of American classic)

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2004/08/2011

Champagne for Lulu!

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2104/08/2011

[quote]That awful song, still makes Americans weak at the knees.

No, it doesn't. It was more than forty years ago. Americans don't remember anything. Not one person out of twenty could even tell you who starred in the movie, and not one out of fifty could hum the melody of the song.

You don't know anything about the USA at all. You think you do, but you're completely underifnormed.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2204/08/2011

The song itself isn't so bad, but her singing was just awful.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2304/08/2011

The popular girls in my high school senior class of '74 sang To Sir With Love at our graduation ceremony. They were so sweet and so sad, and really did a lovely job. I didn't know they were working it up and since I'm an emotional slob I couldn't hold the tears back.%0D %0D I'll always love that stupid song.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2404/08/2011

It wasn't trite THEN. Of course films get "trite" as they age, because they get copied. West Side Story can seem "trite" if you've seen a hundred different versions of Romeo and Juliet.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2504/08/2011

Better as an ensemble.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2604/08/2011

For the fans of British cinema from the 60s you should try and get hold of 'The Leather Boys' or 'A Taste of Honey'.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2704/08/2011

It's OK but it's no Change of Habit

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2804/08/2011

OP, you are right. But as crude as the direction is, the story does draw you in. And there is Judy Geeson, 'the poor man's Julie Christie,' and it was part of a cycle of films (like 'Up The Down Staircase') which were beginning to inform Americans that kids were getting wilder in class, and that public schools were not what they used to be (no matter that this was set in a British slum) a movie genre arguably started by 'Blackboard Jungle.'

And this movie posits that one good teacher can change lives, something we liberals believe and think is true (and still true).

And the song is great, I'm sorry. A good melody connected to a message that (especially in context, which is also how it was used to good effect in 'Glee') is emotional, open, soaring, uplifting. From Lulu's opening, "Those school girl days/Of telling tales and biting nails are gone," yes, we are weepy goners. It's as good as any Brill Building anthem from the early '60s. And just as nostalgic.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 2904/08/2011

I always cry when Lulu sings "To Sir With Love" at the end of the movie. Also, when you hear the same song playing during the museum scene was very effective.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3004/08/2011

R28: thats the only thing i remember from that movie!!

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3104/08/2011

R23, how about this version? Don't remember whether it got much play on non-black stations in the 70s.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3204/08/2011

Loved Judy Geeson! I thought she was going to have a major career boost with this one.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3304/08/2011

Jesus, the one with Al Green is wretched.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3404/08/2011

Al Green took it up the ass?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3504/08/2011

How would we know OP? The people who made it a hit in theaters are probably all dead now.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3604/08/2011

In England, Lulu's producer had no idea that To Sir With Love would be a big hit. He didnt like it much so he stuck it on the B side of this song. It takes a few listens.%0D %0D

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3704/08/2011

I didn't know what song you were referring to it until I looked at it on Youtube. I have heard it, and it's okay, but I hadn't heard it in years and I've never seen the movie and I'm almost 50.%0D

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3804/08/2011

If you mean Americans are nostalgic for school days, well, yes, who wouldn't be considering how nasty and brutish American adult life is.%0D

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 3904/08/2011

I don't think I've ever even heard the song. It's not on oldies stations, and my partner -- who knows far too much about 1960s and 1970s pop songs, good and bad -- couldn't remember it, either.

The movie doesn't make much of a splash as far as online discussion or blogging goes, either. It's on TCM every so often, yet I don't know of anyone who mentioned they saw the movie when it was on.

If FeedFlicks would just stop pulling up my data AGAIN, I could tell you how often the movie gets rented, which I suspect isn't very often.

So I'm having trouble seeing why OP flipped his lid on the issue, because neither the movie nor the song seem to be particularly popular. Maybe it's just popular with Boomers or something.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4004/08/2011

Plus, it's been unavailable on DVD in the US for years. Unless you troll for used copies or third-party dealers.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4104/08/2011

1967?%0D %0D Are you a hundred years old, OP?%0D %0D Why would we care about such a thing?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4204/08/2011

I got a copy of the movie and the soundtrack last year on Amazon.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4304/08/2011

It's very much available. Brand new copies. Amazon also streams it.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4404/08/2011

Yeaaaahhhh, I've never seen the movie, and I've never heard the song. I don't even know what it's about.

Soooooooo, yeaaahhh, I don't really have an opinion about it.

Sent from my iPhone

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4504/08/2011

FeedFlicks says that less than 1000 people have watched or rented the movie, which was released on DVD 11 years ago. That's not a particularly compelling statistic and it certainly doesn't support the idea that everyone in the U.S. is crazy over this movie.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4604/08/2011

Sidney Poitier wooden!?%0D %0D Such mindless drivel about the colonies led to revolution.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4704/08/2011

Of all the obscure crap that floats through the Datalounge on a daily basis, why is To Sir With Love, of all things, getting bashed as irrelevant?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4804/08/2011

OP, tell us more about your brilliant and up-to-the-minute observations about American culture. Do you also see us obsessed with the latest hip dances like the frug and the monkey? Do you think we'll ever be able to stop listening to Donovan and Bobby Sherman?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 4904/08/2011

[quote]who wouldn't be considering how nasty and brutish American adult life is.%0D %0D %0D You are not American, obviously.%0D %0D

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5004/08/2011

Love the movie - was obsessed with the little rubber buxom beauty that showed her boobs when squeezed. Always wanted to find one of those!

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5204/08/2011

... and it has Hyacinth Bucket working in the slums around all those crude slutty teenagers! *gasp!*

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5304/08/2011

Actually, if you've ever read the book, this all took place in late 1940's Britain. Other than changing it to the 1960's, the movie is very true to the book.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5404/09/2011

SCTV did a version with Bob Geldof and Ricardo Montalbhan!

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5504/09/2011

[quote]1967? Are you a hundred years old, OP? Why would we care about such a thing?

Wow, the idiots came hard and fast onto this thread. Like the above comment @ R44.

44 responses and apparently no one cares 'about such a thing'.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5601/05/2013

Why in the world would you bump this thread R56?

Please answer this.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5701/05/2013

r53, and she was so skinny in that yellow sleeveless frock.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5801/05/2013

Why would you bother clicking on this thread and leaving your useless comment, R57?

Please answer this.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 5901/05/2013

(59) hahahahahhaha you tickle me. "Trite"? "Wooden"? hahaha you obviously don't get it so no use trying to explain it to you. Maybe you get to come back another life time and try again. - pitiful you are.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6001/05/2013

I prefer Lulu's James Bond theme song a bit better.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6101/05/2013

The OP sounds like a real crab.

There are plenty of movies much worse than "To Sir With Love." Why pick on it? It was a movie of its time. And it's not bad at all.

The song was a very enjoyable pop tune, nothing more, nothing less.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6201/05/2013

Lulu...To Sir With Love

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6301/05/2013

[quote]Gotta say, I loved the tampon burning part.

Thanks! I've seen TSWL at least 20 times, and never knew what they were burning.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6401/05/2013

This eldergay (hiss! hiss!) has never seen the film, though is familiar with the song. I think of Lulu as Adrian Mole's mother.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6501/05/2013

Why did they burn the tampon?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6601/05/2013

[quote]Christian was FAB!

I see what you mean.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6701/05/2013

It's a fascinating glimpse into how awful life ford working class Brits is. Such filthy, dreary cities. Such ignorant, racist people. Such violence and poverty. It makes Urban Britain look like a slum filled with guttersnipes.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6801/05/2013

Agreed, R63.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 6901/05/2013

Youngins today know the song today because the kids sang it to Mr Shu on "Glee"

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7001/05/2013

My favorite version of the song is the Michael Stipe/Natalie Merchant duet at Clinton's first inauguration.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7101/05/2013

Champagne for Lulu!!!

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7201/06/2013

Don't blame us, OP. Brits foisted the movie on us. and it was years ago. It's hardly like the Sound of Music, introduced just a year earlier, a perennial favorite. It's a vague memory; hardly something worth griping about today.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7301/06/2013

[quote]Why did they burn the tampon?

I assume the students wanted to be assholes by shocking the teacher. But, it was a filthy thing they did.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7401/06/2013

Katey Sagal sang To Sir With Love on the last episode of Sons of Anarchy. I thought she was great

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7501/06/2013

I love that movie. Fell in love with Sydney on the spot. Yummy. Also liked Patch of Blue.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7601/06/2013

[quote]The OP sounds like a real crab.

I know! Who would characterize a decades old song that no one talks about as a major character flaw of a country? Even if you consider with channels like AMC and Turner, people get to see a ton of films they wouldn't ordinarily,"To Sir" is hardly a hot topic.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7701/06/2013

To ask you the question, R59.

Did you answer?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7801/06/2013

It was recently shown on Channel 13 here in NYC, and I was surprised that while it's somewhat dated, there's a lot that still works; I hadn't seen it in years, and really enjoyed it. I'll bet it would resonate with kids these days as well.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 7901/06/2013

The over 20 responses since I bumped it, is my answer, twit face @ R78.

There are so many moronic posters on DL, who say things like 'no one cares, OP'...and they're posting on 50+ response threads.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8001/06/2013

20 responses?? That's not a lot. The thread is inane but DLs often post reams on inane threads. Like when that persnickety overly delicate guy got all bent out of shape over a cat turd in his garden. You've proven nothing.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8101/06/2013

You still haven't answered the question.

Why so touchy? You mad?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8201/06/2013

The point is that nobody is talking about this movie very much any more than they are the cat who pooped in the delusional, vindictive man's petunia garden.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8301/06/2013

I'm American and I've never seen it, and I've never heard it discussed outside of Datalounge. I guess that song was on "Glee" and I remember it from olden times but I haven't heard it on the radio for decades.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8401/06/2013

I've seen the movie several times and love everything about it -- the kids, the teachers, the trip to the V & A, a peed at a young Hyacinth B., and especially the song. It moves me to tears every time.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8501/07/2013

I haven't seen this movie in a long time and watched it again today. Did you know that Patricia Routledge was a teacher in the movie?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8604/14/2013

No

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8704/14/2013

I knew they were going to use it on GLEE. It doesn't compare to Lulu, who (like the movie) is fab and makes me weep from the opening bars of the music. But who knew the author of SHOGUN wrote and directed it?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8804/14/2013

Love the movie, love the song. I never get tired of either.

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 8904/14/2013

Saw it yesterday on TCM. Someone tell me, at the very beginning when Thackery (Portier) is walking to school and stops at the public bathroom and the young guy comes out and stares at him, are they implying what I THINK they're implying?

by Those schoolgirl daysreply 9004/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.