Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does washing your hair in cold water cause headaches?

My friend swears this happens and says it's similar to the ice cream headache.

by Anonymousreply 2311/14/2012

I can't say that it's happened to me, but apparently it has to your friend. Where is your confusion coming from, OP?

by Anonymousreply 104/04/2011

Does he get headaches on cold days when he doesn't wear a hat?%0D %0D I thought the ice cream headache thing happens because a nerve in the roof of your mouth tells the brain COLD! In response, your brain causes vasodilation to keep the brain warm. BOING! Brain freeze.%0D %0D I've gotten it only once (from a Dunkin Donuts Coolate) and damn was it painful!

by Anonymousreply 204/04/2011

Why the fuck would you wash your hair in cold water?

by Anonymousreply 304/04/2011

Weren't you a polar bear at fat camp, OP?

by Anonymousreply 404/04/2011

She said her water heater broke over the weekend and so she had to wash her hair in cold water in the sink. I told her the headaches were caused by neck cramps from twisting her damn head around in that sink, but she insists it's the cold water.

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2011

It was the broken water heater. Talk about a fucking head ache!

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2011

There's cold and then there's COLD. I stayed in a hotel in Split once which only had a cold water tap. In December. Tried to wash my hair but the water was so cold my fingers turned numb. It gave me a head ache as well. OTOH, the "cold" water on an island in the Caribbean is not so cold.

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2011

ice cold enemas do wonders

by Anonymousreply 904/04/2011

Final rinse should always be cold water - really cold. It makes your hair shiny. As someone above said the cold tightens the shaft (you know the feeling) and that makes the hair smoother and flatter hence light reflects on a smooth surface better. SHINY! %0D .%0D In case you can't figure this out - in the shower bend over and just use the shower nozzle or a big plastic cup to do the final rinse so you dont freeze to death. Duh! %0D %0D The cold water on my head really wakes me up but I've never had any pain from it. Such delicate flowers.

by Anonymousreply 1004/04/2011

OP, do you know what cold water does to the nerves and the blood vessels? Of course it can give you a headache easily!

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2011

ALL my toilets use cold water.

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2011

R12, are you saying you wash your hair in your toilet?%0D %0D I think headaches are the least of your worries.

by Anonymousreply 1304/04/2011

Flush you, R13!

by Anonymousreply 1404/04/2011

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2011

yes it does. just washed my hair with cold water from tap cos the warm water in my building is temporarily cut of due to maintainance for a few hours.i felt a strong tightening as if someone is squeezing my whole head and brain.I felt dizzy slightly and felt a headache coming on.Felt like my head and neck were seperated fron my shoulders.Amost 30 minutes and still feel the slight tightening and headache.will never do that again.

by Anonymousreply 1606/12/2012

Not if you remove the ice cubes first.

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2012

No but it does make your balls and dick shrivel up

by Anonymousreply 1806/12/2012

My staff douses my golden locks in a mixture of room-temperature Evian and the tears of Darfur orphans.

by Anonymousreply 1906/13/2012

R16 = tenement dweller

by Anonymousreply 2006/13/2012

yes it true....I just washed my hair and the water turn freezing cold but i didn't stop because i was almost done and i started get a brain freeze reaction it was really painful.

by Anonymousreply 2111/14/2012

It's the cold water on the back of your neck and the back of your head that causes the muscles shock, and thus the headache

by Anonymousreply 2211/14/2012

What about the opposite? What about the extremely special pleasure of a hot water shower feeling on a cold morning? It hits the back of your head and works its way down the spine. is there a word for it?

by Anonymousreply 2311/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!