Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gardner McKay - what a gorgeous man - all 6''4" of him.

He didn't marry until he was almost 50.%0D %0D Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 2911/14/2012

OP,he was gay as pink ink. Don't care if he got married or not.%0D %0D Yes, he was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 103/29/2011

And then there was Hugh (Wyatt Earp) O'Brian who didn't marry until he was in his 70s.

by Anonymousreply 303/29/2011

Wyatt Earp. He makes me burp.

by Anonymousreply 403/29/2011

I was just a little guy when Gardner McKay was on TV but it was seeing him that I knew that I liked men. His tall, shirtless, hairy chest self sealed the deal.

by Anonymousreply 503/29/2011

He was a very handsome man

by Anonymousreply 703/29/2011

Hung too!

by Anonymousreply 803/29/2011

Vanity Fair did an article on him a long time ago, with a gorgeous photo. He died a little over ten years ago I believe.

by Anonymousreply 903/29/2011

Nancy "The Best Blowjob in Hollywood" Reagan infamously allowed Gardner McKay to appreciate her skills once in the coatroom at a party when she was married to Ronnie in the early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 1003/29/2011

You gay guys really like to tell big lies. Why do you do that? Gardner McKay was absolutely not gay. Men were not what he wanted in his bed. And, why would he want to marry when he was enjoying all those beautiful women.

by Anonymousreply 1206/14/2012

You tell 'em, Linda! I know he loved having all that fine pussy at his fingertips, just like I do. It's a problem deciding which of my regular hot chicks I'm in the mood for on a given night. Sometimes I sleep with more than one!

by Anonymousreply 1306/14/2012

I vaguely remember him from that series Adventures in Paradise when it was in perpetual reruns on local NY TV in the 1960s. But did he ever make any films of note or do any other TV?

For such a gorgeous Hollywood hunk his resume is mighty short.

by Anonymousreply 1406/14/2012

Matthew, thank you for your comment. It was a delight. It is so wonderful to read a comment from the kind of guy who enjoys what a woman has to offer a man. Sometimes I worry that something has gone wrong with genetics in the males of the human race. Your comment was delightful and confirms that there are real men left in this world. Linda

by Anonymousreply 1506/14/2012

Who's Linda and what have you done with Cheryl?

by Anonymousreply 1606/14/2012

R14 - McKay's only noteworthy film credit is Jean Negulesco's "The Pleasure Seekers," which in essence was a showcase for Ann-Margret's ample talents and Negulesco's sad decline.

McKay's showbiz resume was brief because he quit the business after his contract with 20th Century Fox expired. Marilyn Monroe handpicked him to co-star in her uncompleted final picture "Something's Got to Give," but, having already made up his mind to quit, he turned the part down.

Uncomfortable with fame, he left Hollywood to pursue his real interests -- writing, sculpting, photography, sailing, and traveling. Since he was born into wealth, he could afford these leisurely pursuits.

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2012

It's funny. In so many of those photos at r7's link, Gardner is posed with a cigarette but it looks more like a prop, like he didn't really know how to smoke.

by Anonymousreply 1806/15/2012

R17, it sounds like he refused to perpetuate the fiction that he was a straight Hollywood ladies' man. Walking away and living his own private life was probably the only way to preserve his sanity.

by Anonymousreply 1906/15/2012

His NYT obituary can shed some light into what he did after his short stint as a model/actor. He didn't renew his contract with 20th Century Fox, and went into reclusion in the Amazon Jungle.

Also, interesting tidbit, he attended Cornell for a couple of years, so he was no bimbo. And he was not 6'4".

He was 6'5"!

by Anonymousreply 2006/15/2012

Gorgeous man who was also a truly awful playwright.

by Anonymousreply 2106/15/2012

He was also the drama critic for the late, lamented LA Herald Examiner in the '70s and '80s.

by Anonymousreply 2206/15/2012

I'm guessing that the part Monroe wanted him for was the one that eventually went to Tom Tryon -- the playboy yachtsman she got stranded with on a deserted island. This would've been a hilarious send-up of McKay's famous television role. Perhaps he didn't want to be typecast.

R17, well, who knows for sure why. Reading his bio and the NYT piece, it seems to me that McKay sought more fulfillment in being an adventurer than working long hours on a movie/tv set and playing the Hollywood game.

by Anonymousreply 2306/15/2012

I remember his picture on the cover of LIFE magazine when Adventures in Paradise began. They called him the next Clark Gable. He was so good looking in that picture, I had to watch the show, and I think the picture started me masturbating! (I thought he lived in Hawaii when he left the show.)

by Anonymousreply 2406/15/2012

McKay, 1950s supermodel Suzy Parker, and male model-Olympian Robin Tattersall made a dashing trio in Richard Avedon's famous fashion series shot in Paris in 1956. The series, which showed the threesome having a grand ol' time around Parisian hotspots raised a few eyebrows at the time.

by Anonymousreply 2506/16/2012

I actually knew Gardner McKay - and, No, he wasn't gay. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2012

He was gorgeous. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2012

Haha, Gardy wasn't gay. And for the comment about the cigarette, you are correct. He didn't smoke cigarettes, he did smoke a pipe (and, just to quash the rumor before it starts... tobacco only).

by Anonymousreply 2811/14/2012

"I Knew I Was Gay 'Cause of Gardner McKay".

It's the opening number of my cabaret act.

by Anonymousreply 2911/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!