Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY: THE MOVIE''s collapse is complete

I heard from a really good source today that Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts have both dropped out. After Streep completes the Margaret Thatcher movie in England she'll shoot a few weeks of a Tina Fey movie (playing her mother), then watch the first of her children get married (Mamie), take off the summer and do either a movie called HOPE SPRINGS or a comedy about a Home Shopping-type channel co-starring Oprah Winfrey and Sandra Bullock.

by Anonymousreply 12204/15/2012

I'm glad. Now maybe they can cast it the way it should have been casts in the first place.

If that still means Dunagan and Morton don't get to be in the movie, they should still cast it intelligently:

Violet - Joanne Woodward or Angela Lansbury

Barbara - Laurie Metcalf

by Anonymousreply 103/28/2011

Good, because they were both completely fucking miscast. Someone get Judy Davis and Charlize Theron on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 203/28/2011

I think Shirley MacClaine or Kathy Bates and Jodi Foster would be great in this.

by Anonymousreply 303/28/2011

If I were older I'd play one of the roles but I'm only taking ingenue offers currently.

by Anonymousreply 403/28/2011

LOL, R4!

by Anonymousreply 503/28/2011

R1, those names will set the box office on fire!

DL casting threads never fail to make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 603/28/2011

Leo would actually make a good Barbara. Of course she'll bitch that she's too young to play the mother of a 15 year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 703/28/2011

Joanne Woodward and Angela Lansbury are in their fuckin' 80s!!!%0D %0D Old enough to play Violet's mother.

by Anonymousreply 803/28/2011

R6 driving miss daisy seemed to do ok with Tandy and Freeman, who were hardly household names. People Will go to see great actors who are well cast in good material.

by Anonymousreply 903/28/2011

There is no reason violet can't be in her 80s, she is from the greatest generation as the play makes clear. The stage directions say she is 65 but it is inconsistent with the script itself. Hence, Estelle parsons, well into her 80s was perfect in the role on broadway

by Anonymousreply 1003/28/2011

I hear Olivia deHavilland's name has been bandied about for Violet. It would be absolutely delicious a career capper and, of course, her deserved third Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1103/28/2011

Well, if Olivia plays Violet then it would be perfectly delicious to see sister Joan as Mattie Fae!%0D %0D And Ann Blyth (or Shirley Temple?) as Barbara!!!

by Anonymousreply 1203/29/2011

I think that Amy Morton was pitch-perfect as Barbara, and I would love to see her in the role again.

For Violet, what about Ann-Margaret? She is a strong actress (Who Will Love My Children). Or Barbara Hershey for that role.

by Anonymousreply 1303/29/2011

Amy Morton was superb in the role (saw her in it in NY and London) but she's not camera-worthy, as it were. And now she's too old to play Barbara on camera, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1403/30/2011

Good. %0D %0D I don't despise Roberts as an actress or swoon over everything Streep does, but would rather see this film cast with less flashy names who are more fitting to the roles.

by Anonymousreply 1503/30/2011

So, Meryl is passing up a film version of a pulitzer prize winning play for a bunch of worthless crap?

by Anonymousreply 1603/30/2011

I had to weigh my opportunities. There will be many more Pulitzer Prize winning plays to film, but there will be no more proposals for poor dear Mamie.

by Anonymousreply 1703/30/2011

[quote]I think Shirley MacClaine or Kathy Bates and Jodi Foster would be great in this.

Jodie Foster wouldn't be [italic]great[/italic] in anything. Although she was fairly decent as the wooden spoon in tonight's SVU.

by Anonymousreply 1803/30/2011

"those names will set the box office on fire!

DL casting threads never fail to make me laugh."

Hit movies, even oscar winning best pictures, have been known to go the route of casting the right people even though they are not box office draws. In addition to Driving Miss Daisy, already noted, consider Amadeus, another huge hit from a play that went on to win the oscar.

Tom Hulce and F. Murray Abraham (who, like Jessica Tandy went on to win the oscar) were not, nor have they ever been, box office.

I would assume, r6, that you also would have laughed if someone had suggested the unknown, or all but, Louise Fletcher for Cuckoo's Nest, Kathy Bates for Misery, or Geoffrey Rush for Shine - all three of which seemed to have worked out ok both at the box office and on the red carpet.

Still laughing?

The truth is that sometimes powerful, right on casting of the right person in the right role not only makes the movie come alive in a way it otherwise wouldn't, but audiences respond with result of word of mouth box office and the movie is a huge hit.

Not only that, if your logic were the guide, there would be no way anyone could ever become a film star, because the only people getting hot star-making roles would already be stars.

by Anonymousreply 1905/26/2011

Joanne Woodward has retired from acting.

Sad, but true. She has no interest in facing a camera.

by Anonymousreply 2005/26/2011

[quote] Hit movies, even oscar winning best pictures, have been known to go the route of casting the right people even though they are not box office draws.

Tell that to Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 2105/26/2011

Meryl and Julia are doing the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2205/26/2011

I would like to ask Letts how, in spite of his stage directions, Violet could possibly only be 65 years old. At least if the play is, as it appears by all other counts, textual and otherwise, to be set today.

One of the most important, funniest and most memorable scenes has Violet's daughters questioning whether their parents were, as is commonly held, part of "the greatest generation."

The greatest generation, a phrase coined by Tom Brokaw in 1998, describes people who fought World War II and their contemporaries.

If Violet is 65 in 2011, she would have been born in 1946. World War II was over in 1946.

Even if the play were set in 1999 (and there is no reason to think it was, far from it), shortly after "the greatest generation" was first coined, any 65 year old character in it would have been born in 1934, and still would have been pre-pubescent at the end of World War II, not a member of the generation who conquered the Nazis.

Not only is Violet one of the few great characters right for a very old woman in recent years. Not only is there no reason she shouldn't be played by a Woodward, Lansbury, or, as she was brilliantly on stage, by a Parsons, but it would appear that for the play to really work, she needs to be played by an actress who conceives of her character as being that age, even if she is, like Dunagan, somewhat, or Streep, significantly, younger.

by Anonymousreply 2305/26/2011

r21, no need to tell that to Julie Andrews. The year of My Fair Lady, there was another movie called Mary Poppins, a huge hit which had the balls to cast Andrews instead of someone who was already a big movie star.

Who won the oscar that year?

Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 2405/26/2011

I can't believe someone said Streep was miscast in ANYTHING without the national terrorism threat level being raised. Where are the fanbois?

by Anonymousreply 2505/26/2011

Woodward may refuse the role (although I think she might be tempted) but no doubt Lansbury, who has spoken at length about wanting to have one more great success on screen, and who could no doubt triumph as Violet, would jump at the chance.

by Anonymousreply 2605/26/2011

[quote] Hit movies, even oscar winning best pictures, have been known to go the route of casting the right people even though they are not box office draws.

Tell that to Angela Lansbury (Mame)

by Anonymousreply 2705/26/2011

Wrong, R22. You're reading old press releases. Both Streep and Roberts dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 2805/26/2011

r6 would have probably cast, instead of Gloria Swanson, then virtually absent from the screen for decades, a then box office draw like Susan Hayward or Claudette Colbert as Norma Desmond.

That would have been a really good call.

by Anonymousreply 2905/26/2011

Lansbury is way too old to play Violet on screen, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 3005/26/2011

Helen Mirren for Violet!

by Anonymousreply 3105/26/2011

No need to tell that to Lansbury.

Not only is the movie of Mame considered, critically and financially, a fiasco, it didn't win any oscars, least of all for Lucille Ball's ridiculous, almost universally berated work in the title role.

by Anonymousreply 3205/26/2011

why, r30, would Lansbury be way too old, let alone way too old "plain and simple," to play a decrepit old woman, with three middle aged daughters, who on her entrance can hardly get down a flight of stairs?

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2011

[R6] is such a moron. Everyone in Hollywood admits now that a name doesn't mean box office anymore. It's more often a flop than not for serious fare. Rather than try to overpay stars to fill out the entire cast, you cast a few in key roles (like Timberlake in Social Network).

The Hollywood model is commercial sci-fi, action, animated, and the occasional rom-com = mega-hit. Serious films = low-budget, need awards to be a hit.

If they're thinking - and Hollywood rarely does - they would cast with an eye on who is best likely to get an award.

Dunagan should still play the matriarch, but I can only see Ellen Burstyn as her best runner up.

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2011

Jane Fonda for Violet!

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2011

Landsbury proved that she can play evil Mom from her part in Manchurian Candidate.

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2011

I'm available.

by Anonymousreply 3705/26/2011

No, you're not, Glennie. You have one more season of DAMAGES to do after the one you're currently working on wraps up.

by Anonymousreply 3805/26/2011

Miss Goldie Hawn.%0D %0D Miss Kate Hudson.%0D %0D Take real-life mother & daughter mega-stars.%0D %0D Combine gently and serve to an appreciative audience.%0D %0D That's a recipe for 4-STAR reviews, box-office bon-bons, and OSCAR GOLD!%0D %0D Now who wants seconds?

by Anonymousreply 3905/26/2011

TEAM ANISTON!

by Anonymousreply 4005/26/2011

Laura Linney is a shoe-in for the Julia Roberts part.

by Anonymousreply 4105/26/2011

Studio movies do not get made anymore without a box office name. Every single picture that gets put into production by a major studio spends a good year being tested against prior "analogues" or similar films and their success.%0D %0D If a movie has no precedent for being a genre that has a proven track record, it becomes nearly impossible to get produced without a name attached to it.%0D %0D Smaller films - films going more for awards than money will certainly think more about casting but will be THRILLED if they can get a name like Streep or Roberts attached to them and will often take them over perhaps more appropriate casting.

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2011

And when I say "name" that can also mean a known entity (insert any franchise) or director.

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2011

I don't really get Letts's age plan either but if I were casting from it:%0D %0D Beverly: Sam Shepard%0D %0D Violet: Jessica Lange%0D %0D Johnna: Keshia Castle-Hughes%0D %0D Barbara: Laura Linney%0D %0D Bill: Bryan Cranston%0D %0D Jean: Abigail Breslin%0D %0D Deon: Garett Dilahunt%0D %0D Ivy: Jodhi May%0D %0D Mattie Faye: Kate Nelligan%0D %0D Charles: John Goodwin%0D %0D Little Charles: Michael Shannon%0D %0D Karen: Carrie Preston %0D %0D Steve: Tate Donovan%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2011

PAULA PRENTISS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4505/26/2011

"Studio movies do not get made anymore without a box office name."%0D %0D And if people like you, Jaded Hollywoodlander, had their way, that would never change. Meanwhile, a lot of people who care about good movies, would rather see them well cast and believe that if adaptations of successful novels and plays are well cast, they can be successes.%0D %0D For every Chicago or Dangerous Liaisons (big casting successes) there is a Mame or a House of the Spirits (big casting debacles, and the latter one of Streep's few flops in spite of the fact that it was a huge bestseller).%0D %0D Meanwhile, casting a popular play or novel well without regard to name recognition can lead to splendid, highly marketable, award-winning work. This has been proven time and time again.

by Anonymousreply 4605/26/2011

Trust me, r46, I am completely with you. %0D %0D It's been completely deflating to see that money is the only thing that matters now in movie making and with the amount of research and numbers crunched regarding marketing, there's no arguing anymore.%0D %0D Everytime something "different" does well - I get very excited that a precedent will be set and more movies like it will be produced. Even something like "Bridesmaids" doing well is REALLY good news because it means studios will start taking more chances on pictures with female leads and womena that are not model-perfect.%0D %0D It's a vicious cycle. Audiences will always default to what they know as opposed to taking a chance. They'd rather see Pirates #17 then something they haven't heard of unfortunately. If more people would go and see and pay money for movies that are offbeat in comparison, it would be a great thing. Studios would then start spending more money on promoting them.

by Anonymousreply 4705/26/2011

sorry, r47, I misinterpreted you - agree completely, on eveyrthing: including Bridesmaids!

by Anonymousreply 4805/26/2011

Patty Duke as Violet!!

by Anonymousreply 4905/26/2011

[quote]So, Meryl is passing up a film version of a pulitzer prize winning play for a bunch of worthless crap?

Well, the home shopping movie with Oprah and Bullock is indeed a POS but the Hope Springs script is pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2011

"August: Osage County" is currently on stage at the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego. The show is fucking fabulous. The production, story, acting, direction, cast, set...and of course that serious, funny and shocking script. %0D %0D Longtime stage actress, Lois Markle, plays Violet. She is the best you've ever seen. She should win a Tony. And if this show were movie, Lois would win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2011

Uhm, Jennifer Lopez is scheduled to star, where have you bitches been?

by Anonymousreply 5205/26/2011

why would Julia and Meryl pull away from this project?

by Anonymousreply 5305/26/2011

R49 I agree Patty Duke, even she said in a recent interview, that she could play a mean Violet!

by Anonymousreply 5405/26/2011

I love the idea of Patty Duke as Violet! If only the Hollywood powers-that-be had such imagination. She would absolutely triumph with a Best Actress Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5505/26/2011

Patty Duke?! lol

by Anonymousreply 5605/26/2011

Susan Sarandon as Violet!

by Anonymousreply 5705/26/2011

Patricia Clarkson as Violet!

by Anonymousreply 5805/26/2011

Grace Zabriski as Violet!

by Anonymousreply 5905/26/2011

Violet is one of the most sought after roles right now!

by Anonymousreply 6005/26/2011

Those actresses are not old enough. The actress should be closer to 70 than 50.

Vanessa Redgrave for Violet.

by Anonymousreply 6105/26/2011

Ann Margaret as Violet.%0D %0D Would bring her the oscar that has always eluded her.

by Anonymousreply 6205/26/2011

Mary Tyler Moore as Violet!

by Anonymousreply 6305/26/2011

You're turning Violet, Violet!

by Anonymousreply 6405/26/2011

Why not cast the Broadway originals?

by Anonymousreply 6505/26/2011

R59, yes, Grace Zabriskie is THE PERFECT VIOLET. %0D %0D And she would scare the shit out of everyone.%0D %0D I also love Laura Linney as Violet.%0D %0D Josh Brolin HAS to play the sleazy fiance.

by Anonymousreply 6605/26/2011

[quote]Violet: Jessica Lange

Did her facelift ever settle?

by Anonymousreply 6705/26/2011

I love Jessica Lange, but I don't think she's old enough. Neither is Meryl.%0D %0D Mary Tyler Moore would be perfect. "Ordinary People" mean times 10--plus Osage County calls for funny and outrageous dialogue. MTM would nail it.

by Anonymousreply 6805/26/2011

r56 why the LOL?

by Anonymousreply 6905/26/2011

Grace Zabriski would be fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 7005/26/2011

Laura Linney is too young for Violet. She would, however, make a very good Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 7105/26/2011

Beth Grant would be the perfect Violet, but she's not a big enough name to get the part.

How about Barbra Streisand for Violet?

by Anonymousreply 7205/26/2011

Yeah Patty Duke

by Anonymousreply 7305/26/2011

Maybe Maggie Smith with an American accent.%0D %0D ...and Mary Tyler Moore would be great!

by Anonymousreply 7405/26/2011

Patty Duke is a great idea for Violet, as is, in addition to some already mentioned, Piper Laurie

I really don't understand the objections to Violet being played by a very old woman a la Lansbury or Laurie; a decision which makes perfect sense to me, and Parsons, in her 80s, proved how effective that casting could be

by Anonymousreply 7505/27/2011

Oops, I meant Grace Zabriskie would be the ideal Violet and Laura Linney the ideal Barbara. With Hailey Steinfeld as Jean?

by Anonymousreply 7605/27/2011

Totally agree with R45t%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7705/29/2011

Jane Fonda as Violet!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7805/29/2011

Actually I do like the idea of Ann-Margret as Violet. And it might get her that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 7905/29/2011

Why doesn't HBO just do this like they did with Angels in America? A truncated film version is ridiculous -

by Anonymousreply 8006/01/2011

R80, do you see this in two parts on HBO? I guess the first part would end with the family dinner.

by Anonymousreply 8106/01/2011

Jane Fonda is the obvious (and also a good) choice for Violet if this ever actually gets off the ground. + Laura Linney as Barbara. Reason it fell through with MS and JR, btw, was bc they committed to do it with Nichols, and that's not gonna happen anytime soon unless time travel gets invented.

by Anonymousreply 8206/01/2011

Not true, R82, they committed to do it when John Wells was on board as director.

by Anonymousreply 8306/01/2011

Patty Duke will be Violet!

She must....

by Anonymousreply 8406/01/2011

Sorry, this will never be made with Patty Duke. Never.

by Anonymousreply 8506/02/2011

r85 but it should be!

by Anonymousreply 8606/02/2011

Again, help me here.%0D %0D Violet is supposed to be a member of the "greatest generation." Therefore she would have been a young woman during World War II.%0D %0D Patty Duke, great though she might be for this role in 20 years, was born in 1946, the year after World War II ended.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8706/16/2011

Mamie Gummer is so homely and untalented. Hopefully once married she'll focus on having a very large family that will keep her off the screen for eternity.

Mamie gives nepotism a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 8806/16/2011

Ideally both Paula Prentiss and Kate Nelligan could be part of the cast. But, Paula Prentiss has been rather ill and is basically retired, so maybe Patty Duke? I like the Patty Duke idea very much. Warms my heart to read of some folks mentioning both she and Paula Prentiss very much. %0D %0D Kate Nelligan could totally be part of the cast because she has the chops and has aged very well. Her face looks nice and warm now and not as cold as it did when she was younger.

by Anonymousreply 8906/17/2011

Nelligan would be a good Violet, not Mattie Fay. Mattie Fay should be more of a harridan.

by Anonymousreply 9006/17/2011

What is our final cast, then queers? :)

Kate Nelligan

Jane Fonda

and...

by Anonymousreply 9106/28/2011

Barbra Streisand

by Anonymousreply 9206/28/2011

I'd love to see Margo Martindale as Mattie Fay.

by Anonymousreply 9306/28/2011

Mattie Fae is not a harridan, she's a sem-blousy, bossy and overbearing Okie wife and mother. Either way, Nelligan would act the shit out of it. No doubt she could do well as Violet also.

by Anonymousreply 9406/28/2011

I like the idea of Fonda teaming with Nelligan as Vi and Mattie Fae. There are lots of good casting choices here.

by Anonymousreply 9506/28/2011

R94, you obviously don't know what a harridan is.

by Anonymousreply 9606/28/2011

Angelica Huston as Violet! James Garner as Beverly. That would rock.

by Anonymousreply 9710/04/2011

[quote]James Garner as Beverly. That would rock.

I don't think Garner could do it. He's been in very poor health for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 9810/04/2011

Clint Eastwood as Beverly, though he says he's retired from acting.

I like Fonda or Mirren as Violet.

by Anonymousreply 9910/04/2011

Jane Fonda and Kate Nelligan would be grand together! But, what of Jane Fonda and Cherry Jones? That would be equally as cool.

WEHT Kate Nelligan anyway? She was really fucking good. Really, really good.

by Anonymousreply 10010/04/2011

Sally Field is the obvious best choice -- with Laura Linney, Margo Martindale, and Clint Eastwood. Thread closed!

by Anonymousreply 10110/04/2011

WHO CARES?

by Anonymousreply 10210/04/2011

Calling HBO!

Ditch that adaptation of THE CORRECTIONS for this, please.

by Anonymousreply 10310/04/2011

HOLLAND TAYLOR for VIOLET, dammit. She can slice and dice better than anyone else I can think of, she's hilarious and has the range to be needy and tragic.

I would've had Meryl do Barbara because she looks too damn young to play Violet anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10410/13/2011

HOLLAND TAYLOR as Violet, dammit. Two plus a Half Dork isn't going to make it much longer, anyway, so you know she'll be free soon.

She's got the range, the chops, the look, and can slice & dice better than any other actress mentioned. Even Ms Duke.

by Anonymousreply 10510/13/2011

Ever time someone mentions an actor's "chops" I'm reminded of why people hate theater types.

by Anonymousreply 10610/14/2011

Peggy Lipton IS Violet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madchen Amick IS Barbara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10710/14/2011

r107 if you are going to go that route, Piper Laurie should be Violet!

by Anonymousreply 10810/14/2011

r105 Ms. Duke is pretty good at slicing & dicing

by Anonymousreply 10910/14/2011

Holland Taylor doesn't have the acting chops for Violet.

Grace Zabriskie is harrowingly right for the role.

by Anonymousreply 11010/14/2011

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 11110/14/2011

Ellen Burstyn as Violet! Kathy Bates as Mattie Fae!

by Anonymousreply 11210/14/2011

Simple, the original broadway/chicago cast. Problem solved, why do big names make things better, they could not improve on the play. Shoot bring the play back with the cast and I'll be happy!

by Anonymousreply 11312/09/2011

Cherry Jones as Mattie Fae...

She has won two Tony awards as well as one Emmy award and countless other accolades.

She is from Tennessee and could easily do that twangy Oklahoma accent.

She could give good 'bitch' and make it seem downright Shakespearean in scope.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 11412/09/2011

Cherry Jones isn't right for Mattie Fay, other characters refer to her as having been a hot number when she was younger. In 20 years she'll make a terrifying Violet in the revival.

by Anonymousreply 11512/09/2011

Loretta Lynn as Violet

Merle Haggard as Beverly

Dolly Parton as Mattie Fae

Reba McEntire as Barbara

by Anonymousreply 11612/09/2011

Meryl streep and Laura Linney (who was rumored to have the part til no talent Julia roberts showed interest in the movie). Linney is a GREAT actress who is perfect for this movie script and would add so much to the film version. No need for Julia to cheapen this one up. Would Mike Nichols direct...look what he did with Virginia Woolf. It's such a great play it doesnt need stunt casting, just great actors and a strong director to guide and we could have AN Oscar next year,,,,a gay can wish!

by Anonymousreply 11712/13/2011

Linney is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 11812/13/2011

New cast MUST be:

Sissy Spacek as Violet Laura Linney as Barbara Kathy Bates as Minnie Fae

Now that's a cast

by Anonymousreply 11912/29/2011

The LA Times linked to this thread, y'all. Looks like Meryl and Julia may be on track to shoot this in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 12002/03/2012

DAMN Meryl Steep would have been simply perfect for Violet! I thought Julia would be more of a Karen, you know not as outspoken as Ivy or Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 12102/07/2012

I have been following August: Osage County from the day it came out. I love that Play and the character "Beverly". I have the part memorized and i am perfect for it.m mnIf i could audition I WILL be selected for it. I just missed a role on 30R opposite Jane Krakow so I have been around for a while. So, how do I find the Casting Director?

Ed Connelly 805 207 6677. You can be my Agent. I don't have one yet.

by Anonymousreply 12204/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!