Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

MAGIC JACK. Do any of you recommend it? Or are there too many problems associated with it?

I've heard there are problems. I wanted to cut down my $38 per month phone bill. And yes, I have a landline which is what I want.

by Anonymousreply 8310/12/2013

I recommend it. It does everything a landline does -takes messages, stores contact numbers, calling history, etc. All U.S. long distance is free and I will never pay close to $500 a year again for basic local landline service.

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2011

It's only $19.95 per year, right R1? And $39.95 to purchase.%0D %0D Does it interfere or cause havoc with one's computer being on or off? I thought I read some drawbacks relating to this.%0D

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2011

I've had mine for a couple of months and very happy with it.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2011

I read that if your computer goes to sleep, the phone line does too... which may not be true. Does anyone have any experience --

-- well, I was about to write "Does anyone have any experience with a MagicJack?" and then I realized where I was.

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2011

I have one. And I think if your computer is off, your phone won't ring but the messages people leave are stored like an answering machine. This has never been an issue for me though because I can speak to friends when it's convenient for me and I have a pager from work that they can use in an emergency.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2011

And I think the $40 purchase price includes one year of service and thereafter it's also $20 a year.

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2011

It's a really great cheap phone. Wish they did cell.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2011

Does it have Caller ID?

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2011

[quote] It's a really great cheap phone. Wish they did cell.

They're working on it

by Anonymousreply 903/26/2011

Yeah, if your phone has a display for caller id. It stores all the calls you receive anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1003/26/2011

And what happens when the power goes out? That happens here 2-3 times a year, which is why I have a real land line.

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2011

If the power goes out, your phone won't ring but you will still get your messages. The messages actually go to your email soy ou can check your messages anywhere you have access to your email.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2011

Perhaps you should move out of Bumfucke, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2011

Anyone have criticisms of Magic Jack?%0D %0D I've seen criticisms on the web, but those of you posting here on Datalounge seem satisfied with the performance of Magic Jack.%0D %0D Did those of you who have Magic Jack switch to Magic Jack to save money - or for any other reasons?

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2011

R12 here. I switched to save money. I don't talk on the phone very often and spending $55 a month just a few minutes of talking was ridiculous. Actually since I bought the magicjack I talk a lot more on the phone because I can talk to any of my family/friends anywhere in the US for as long as we want and it doesn't cost anything extra. But I will say you need a very good connection and a fast computer for it to work well. And another cool thing about it is when I travel I make sure I stay at hotels with fast internet service and take my magic jack and a phone and I can get and take calls in the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2011

In a month or so, the amount you save on long distance alone exceeds the purchase price.

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2011

How does it compare to, say, Vonage?%0D %0D I know it's a lot cheaper... but I'm curious why? Surely you have to give up something for that steep a discount in price.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2011

For whatever reason I got an AZ number. I'm on the east coast. I did get one very early though. It works better with the computer, built in mic, for whatever reason. I don't think they've ever charged me the yearly subscription.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2011

dumb question - with Magic Jack, so you talk into your regular land line phone, or do you somehow talk into the computer's mic?

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2011

you plug a normal phone into your computer and you talk like normal abnd the call is carried over the computer instead of a phone line.

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2011

You can do both R19. Instead of plugging into the wall with your phone, you just plug it into the magic jack and the majic jack into a USB on your computer. You can choose to use your the phone or the computer mic and speakers when you make or take a call.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2011

How do you get your phone number assigned when you buy a new Magic Jack?%0D %0D Is the phone number you'll be using contained in the package you purchase, or do you call into a Magic Jack office to get your phone number assigned?

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2011

Is the connection sometimes scratchy and of poor quality so that you cannot hear well or the voices carry poorly?

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2011

by Anonymousreply 2403/27/2011

I keep forgetting to get one. Does Radio Shack carry them?

by Anonymousreply 2503/27/2011

Those of you with Magic Jack - another prbably silly question - is it possible to keep using one's regular land line service with a traditional provider such as QWEST and try out Magic Jack simultaneously to see if it works and decide whether one likes it?%0D %0D Or would one need to first cancel the traditional land line service from QWEST and then set up Magic Jack?

by Anonymousreply 2603/27/2011

R22, your MJ phone # will be randomly assigned, or you can pay a fee to use the # you pick out.%0D %0D R23, compared to a landline the reception has been the same or better. I have had no problems and the people I talk to can detect no difference. %0D %0D R25, don't know. Haven't been in a Radio Shack in 20 yuears.%0D %0D R26, yes you can keep whatever while you experiement and see if you like it.

by Anonymousreply 2703/27/2011

r18, when I got my MagicJack, I was given a choice of Area Code and Exchange anywhere in the country. Just for fun I picked a New Jersey number though I'm a few states away. %0D %0D Sometimes the transmission flutters, but otherwise it's "as clear as Bell." On the screen you have a display of every call dialed and length of the conversation. We can call Toll-Free (800) Directory Assistance, and 1-800-Free 411, but not not an Area Code + 555-1212 to reach Directory Assistance out-of-town.

by Anonymousreply 2803/27/2011

Ooma. Much better. Fantastic service. Check

by Anonymousreply 2903/27/2011

i'm with R29. OOMA is much better. You're computer doesn't have to be "up" to hook it directly into the router. currently on woot for $140...but only monthly fee is 911 (about $3.50-4.00...magicjack doesn't support 911)

by Anonymousreply 3003/27/2011

It doesn't support 911 calls! WTF do you do in an emergency?

by Anonymousreply 3103/27/2011

I dunno.

I got one and was put off by its gigantic flashlight shape. It's not something you want to carry with you all the time. In addition I was distracted by the silicone "entryways" -- the choices were a mouth, a vagina, or a butt. I chose the butt. After a few uses I got bored with it and stashed it behind my filing cabinet, where it gathers dust.

So I don't recommend it, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 3203/27/2011

R30, you say it hooks directly into the router - what if one does not have a router?%0D %0D I don't think I have a router....

by Anonymousreply 3303/27/2011

So you don't have wireless?%0D %0D Weird.%0D %0D Well, then you hook it up directly between your computer and the cable modem.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3403/27/2011

Say what you will about DL, it does inform.

I am uh embroiled in a disagreement with t-mobile. It's terminal. So I goggled MJ and there's a free trial going on. 30 days free trial.

Bless you DL. Screw U t-mobile (& adios!)

by Anonymousreply 3503/27/2011

Um. T-Mobile is a cell phone company. Magic Jack is a replacement for a land-line that requires a computer with a high speed internet connection.%0D %0D What the hell does one have to do with the other?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3603/27/2011

WTF R36. It'll be my only phone. Can't see paying $55+ for the convenience of having a phone. I hate phones. Cheaper the better

by Anonymousreply 3703/28/2011

Here is the answer to most, if not all, of your questions.

by Anonymousreply 3803/28/2011

R37, you didn't answer the question.%0D %0D Cell phones and land lines are two completely separate things, with completely separate sets of uses.%0D %0D You're saying you actually pay for a cellphone that you just leave around your house and never take with you??%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3903/28/2011

with a hand like mine, why the fuck would I need that?

by Anonymousreply 4003/28/2011

I just ordered the thing. I was not given the opportunity to choose a number. Will they automatically assign me a number in my local area or do I choose a # when the unit arrives? And if they give me a # outside my local calling area does that mean anyone local who calls my number will have to pay long distance charges?

by Anonymousreply 4103/28/2011

Nevermind. I just found the answers to my questions on their web site.

by Anonymousreply 4203/28/2011

I have nothing bad to say about MagicJack, except one thing. In order to receive or make phone calls your computer must be running because the regular home phone turns into one of the many USB-devices that are connected to your PC. Other than that, everything is fine. It's cheap, voice quality is better than my cellphone's and I don't have to fork over a fortune to my landline provider. Maybe I should look into Oooma though.

by Anonymousreply 4303/28/2011

Should have gone for quality, OP. You can get Ooma at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 4403/28/2011

R44, Oooma's quality costs a lot more. Maybe $140 is not that much but it's a lot for a company that's fairly new and nobody knows where it is next year. If you are in the mood for experiments MagicJack is a good enough way to risk less money.

by Anonymousreply 4503/28/2011

Ooma has been around for years already.%0D %0D Yeah, there's an up-front cost, but there's either zero, or a trivial charge thereafter (depending on the options you choose).%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4603/28/2011

Ooma is $240 at and $199 at

by Anonymousreply 4703/28/2011

ooma was on woot yesterday for $140. it shows up on woot every 6 weeks or so. Unless you want the premium services, ooma is free (includes call waiting, voicemail and other standard services). Only cost is a little less than $4/month in taxes, so that you have 911 coverage at your house. 911 isn't an option with magicjack.

by Anonymousreply 4803/28/2011

With Ooma you can set up a list of numbers to block.

by Anonymousreply 4903/28/2011

Read the reviews. Magic Jack is for the "TV Deals" set. Ooma is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 5003/28/2011

[quote]With Ooma you can set up a list of numbers to block.%0D %0D CallVantage from AT&T used to have this feature. They also had the best call quality. Of course, the idiots discontinued it to concentrate on their U-Verse crap.%0D %0D So I switched to Vonage.%0D %0D And it DOESN'T have that feature and it sucks. I used to block all the repeat telemarketers. Now they always ring threw.%0D

by Anonymousreply 5103/28/2011

Bad-spelling brit!

by Anonymousreply 5203/29/2011

[quoteIs the connection sometimes scratchy and of poor quality so that you cannot hear well or the voices carry poorly?

Better than Skype, worse than Vonage, much worse than standard carrier lines.

by Anonymousreply 5303/29/2011

I received the MagicJack today. Install went flawlessly and it works a charm! I couldn't be happier with it. Voice quality is very good. I can hear just a very tiny bit of a hum but it is so slight as to not even be bothersome. The people I talk to say they can't hear it at all.

If you get a voicemail you'll get an email from MJ it will have the actual voicemail attached as a wav file (excellent quality sound), or you can listen to your voicemails the regular way too.

Each time you pick up the MJ phone the MJ panel will pop up on your computer screen. You can dial your calls from your handset, manually from the panel on the computer screen, or by just clicking a contact that you've entered into the MJ system.

The system also includes free 411 service, and 911 service (but you do have to manually register your number and address with the MJ 911 system before you can use it).

One issue though if you use your home phone for conferencing, or calling chat lines, etc. You won't be able to do that with MJ. They only allow conferencing to be done through their own conference system.

But you can't beat it for free calling anywhere in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

by Anonymousreply 5404/01/2011

Consumer Reports rated Ooma #1 for phone service. May 2011 issue, page 23. MagicJack is #14.

by Anonymousreply 5505/04/2011

Magic Jack has made millions for its Palm Beach queen-gay owner Don Burns. He and his very blonde boyfriend Greg Connors live the good life! Doesn't that make all DLers want to rush out and get one?

by Anonymousreply 5605/04/2011

The happy couple with fellow PB and Hamptons queen, the short Steven Stolman....

by Anonymousreply 5705/04/2011

I've had MJ for a year and a half. There have been a few times when service was down, but it always got solved. Yes, you have to keep your computer on, but I do that anyway. Overall I'd say it's been great. If you're paying for cell + landline, drop the landline and get magic jack.

For those who keep asking, you get to pick an area code during the initialization/signup process. They will then give you a few 3-digit prefixes to pick from.

Your caller ID will display numbers, but not names. When you call someone else whose caller ID has name AND number display, it will show them your number and the city/state of your area code and prefix.

by Anonymousreply 5805/04/2011

Why does anyone need this? Maybe people with iphones because they drop calls--but even then, wouldn't a good cell phone be better?

Not being a troll, but just trying to understand why anyone would go back to landlines (even if they are attached to computers).

by Anonymousreply 5905/04/2011

R58, MJ will show the name if the caller is on your speed dial list. It shows it both on my phone and on the MJ popup box on the computer.

by Anonymousreply 6005/04/2011

I can tell you the main reason I keep a land line, R59, is that no cell phone or modem-based service comes close to the quality of voice over the copper or fiber telecom wire.

by Anonymousreply 6105/04/2011

Ooma is $150 on Slickdeals right now.

by Anonymousreply 6208/10/2012

Magic jack

The first 1 I got the plastic see through one was broke in 1 month.

Bought the 1 they say works with out the computer.

Its a lie it won't work without the computer.

Its still working its been about 3 months

by Anonymousreply 6308/10/2012

[quote]If you get a voicemail you'll get an email from MJ it will have the actual voicemail attached as a wav file (excellent quality sound), or you can listen to your voicemails the regular way too.

Does your computer have to be on nonstop in order to receive the voicemail? I am thinking about the Magic Jack but haven't any intention of leaving my computer on all day and night.

On my humble pay as you go phone, I can turn it off and have everything go straight to voicemail. Would it be the same deal with Magic Jack?

by Anonymousreply 6408/10/2012

I got one just to have as a backup and was so happy with it I canceled my land line service after a couple months of using the MJ.

One of the greatest inventions ever!

by Anonymousreply 6508/10/2012

My brother bought this and just loves it.

by Anonymousreply 6608/10/2012

R64, your computer needs to be on in order to make calls with MJ, but if your computer is off and someone calls it will just go immediately to voicemail and your email will be waiting for you when you turn your compter back on. The email from MJ literally comes seconds after the voicemail is left by the caller.

And just so you know, computer experts will tell you it's far better for your computer to leave it on 24/7 than to turn it on and off every day. The power up process is the most taxing process a computer goes through. If you don't want it running 24/7 you could just have it go into sleep mode.

by Anonymousreply 6708/10/2012

[quote]Bought the 1 they say works with out the computer. Its a lie it won't work without the computer.

That little bit of info is rather deceiving of MJ, isn't it. True you don't need a "computer" for the new model to work, but you DO need an internet connection AND a modem connected to that line. They don't bother telling you that in the adverts. LOL

Still, it's a neat tool to have.

by Anonymousreply 6808/10/2012

And just how many people have an internet connection AND a modem, but no computer? NONE, that's how many. LOL

by Anonymousreply 6908/10/2012

I thank you quite kindly, R67

by Anonymousreply 7008/10/2012

I really find it amusing that so many of you still have regular landlines, in this day and age. I haven't had one since I first got Vonage 12 years ago. You must all be eldergays; it's nothing but a COMPLETE waste of money to have a landline, unless you make a shitload of local calls during daylight hours. The only people I know with them have them because they're connect to their burglar alarms.

Btw you can skip the magicJack bullshit and just sign up for Google Voice instead for free. You can pick your own area code and number (nearly all domestic U.S. area codes, except for a handful of in-demand ones like 212, are available), and your voicemails get sent to your e-mail in-box. You can make calls straight from your computer, if it has a built-in mac (all laptops do today, as do all Apple desktops and many PC models), or you can install the Google Voice app on iPhone or Android and call that way instead.

by Anonymousreply 7108/10/2012

Er, built-in *mic*, not mac!

by Anonymousreply 7208/10/2012

What r67 didn't say or doesn't know is that if you have email on your phone (like Yahoo) you will get an instant email that you just received a VM and you do not need to turn on your computer. I assume he/she only reads email on their computer.

I bought mine probably 4 years ago and hardly ever talk on the phone at all so I haven't used it much, but I just hooked it up the other day again since I'm working from home and don't want to add a lot of minutes to my cell bill. The cordless phone I use it with has a bit of a weird audio to it, but I recommend at least trying it.

by Anonymousreply 7308/10/2012

I paid $69.95 for for FIVE years of service. That's not bad. It works out to $1.16 per month.

I mostly use it as a business voice mail box.

by Anonymousreply 7408/10/2012

I have NetTalk. I had a choice of WiFi or plugging into my router. I chose the WiFi version. No, my computer does not have to be on to use my phone.

I've had it a little over 9 months and have been very happy with it.

I could have kept my original number or I could have chosen another number for a small fee.

The reason I went with NetTalk is that their customer service is better than Magic Jack and I didn't have to listen to those incredibly annoying online Magic Jack commercials.

by Anonymousreply 7508/11/2012

Ooma, OP. Go with Ooma.

by Anonymousreply 7608/11/2012

Consumer Reports rated Ooma #1 for phone service. May 2011 issue, page 23. MagicJack is #14.

by Anonymousreply 7708/11/2012

Perhaps if you would get a job that doesn't require you asking, 'Would you like fries with that', you could afford a real phone.

by Anonymousreply 7808/13/2012

How clever you aren't, R78.

by Anonymousreply 7908/18/2012

I gets me welfare so I get a free cell phone

by Anonymousreply 8008/18/2012

I bought Ooma based on DL and Consumer Reports recommendations. It goes offline (red flashing logo on unit) at least once a day and only can be reset by unplugging and replugging it. They are no help with solving this. Following forum advice needs way more technical knowledge than I possess.

by Anonymousreply 8110/10/2013

What is this Jack of magic of which you write?

by Anonymousreply 8210/10/2013

I prepay a year's service and a thousand minutes (double minutes from when I bought the phone or 2000 min) on Tracfone. Never costs me as much as $200 a year.

by Anonymousreply 8310/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!