Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone else have violet eyes?

This is not possible that Elizabeth Taylor was the only one in the world with violet eyes. But maybe her eyes were really grayish blue.%0D %0D Violet eyes? Come on...whoever heard of such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 12312/01/2014

They were just a very deep blue. Even here, with a lavender towel, they look deeply, stunningly blue.

This is my favorite pic of Elizabeth Taylor. Roddy McDowall took it around 1963 (she would have been 30 or thereabouts). She was just out of the shower, no makeup at all. THIS is the definition of true beauty.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2011

Purple in this picture. Click to zoom.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2011

She'd have to be wearing the towel beneath her face and not on the top of her head for the color of it to reflect in her eyes, R9, but that is a stunning pic.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2011

More PR, r9. She has eyeliner and her eyebrows on.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2011

no makeup at all, R9? where, on the towel?

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2011

That is not an attractive pic at all @ R9. Her skin looks like leather---lots of sun damage and freckles. The younger Liz @ R8 (COAHTR??)) is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2011

R9, Plus definitely lipstick, possibly blush, and mascara and/or false eyelashes. I see highlighter contouring around her eyes, too.

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2011

R10. It's a magazine cover. You think they might have touched it up a bit?

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2011

it was actually her tits that were naturally violet, and the color just reflected in her eyes. gods honest truth

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2011

Well, I trust Roddy McDowall (longtime friend of a very close friend of mine) and if he said it was without makeup, it was without makeup, no matter what you think you see there.

And look at it this way - if she had bothered to put on eyeliner and mascara and lipstick, don't you think she would have done foundation and powder and blush? You can see clearly that she didn't. Her eyebrows are shaped and tweezed, but there's nothing on them to color them. There's no lipstick, if she had been wearing lipstick her upper lip would have been more clearly defined.

No, that's a picture of Elizabeth au naturel. Some people truly are that stunningly beautiful without any help at all.

I will allow, however, that r11 is correct about the towel placement with regards to her eyes reflecting color.

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2011

I don't think it's a nice picture, either. Her face is a weird shape and the lighting and angle aren't flattering in the least.

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2011

Almost violet is not violet.

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2011

Maybe Liz's eyes were violet-ish, meaning a deeper blue than most with a touch of gray.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2011

[quote]Well, I trust Roddy McDowall (longtime friend of a very close friend of mine) and if he said it was without makeup, it was without makeup, no matter what you think you see there.

Such complete bullshit. She's wearing make-up in the photo, as we obviously can see.

As lovely as your fairy tale is about your magical trust in your friend (or rather, your magical trust in your friend of a friend!), the rest of us have to side with the grown-up world of empiricism and visual evidence.

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2011

The eyebrows and double lashes are completely natural--she had them as a kid. That's why MGM flipped over her looks.

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2011

And I suppose her lipstick in that photo is also completely "natural," r23--her salivary glands just secrete it somehow and it comes out perfectly applied to her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2011

I've known people whose eyes looked different colors in different light.

From what I've read, hers did look violet at times in real light.

However, color film is optimized for so-called memory colors: the green of grass, the blue of skies, and caucasian skin tones.

I worked in photography for a while and I can tell you that many subtle shades invariably needed retouching (no matter which film you used). I'd guess her eyes naturally photographed as blue and would have to have been airbrushed to look violet, as in R10's cover shot.

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2011

R9-%0D %0D Had to burst your bubble sweetie, but she's wearing makeup.%0D %0D Mascara, possibly liner, lipstick, possibly eyebrow pencil.

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2011

She's definitely wearing mascara and/or liner (especially her lower lashes). White pencil in the lower inside rim. Also some concealer under her eyes.

And I've taken showers before without touching my face ( I had a full face of makeup on)- it's quite easy. I call it my Disco Shower.

So yes, your friend Roddy was telling the truth, but yes, she was wearing makeup.

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2011

I'm bidding on one as soon as it comes up for auction, and if I get it I'll let you know.

by Anonymousreply 2903/25/2011

She's wearing tons of make-up in the non-makeup photo. Very heavy eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, foundation, bronzer, blush. It's comical how anyone would claim it's a "no make up" photo.

by Anonymousreply 3003/25/2011

Sometimes. Hazel eyes are like mood rings. Mine go from hazel through green and blue to violet when I'm very, very happy.

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2011

Why would anyone want to have violent eyes?

by Anonymousreply 3203/25/2011

I have hungry eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3303/25/2011

In response to R23, they put mascara and eyeliner on kids, too. But the heavy brows in the picture of her as a 7 (?) year old make me wonder if she was really hairy.

by Anonymousreply 3403/25/2011

I've got Bette Davis eyes. Well, one Bette Davis eye. The other is a Paris Hilton eye.

by Anonymousreply 3503/25/2011

I have Bette Davis eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3603/25/2011

R35. We're telekinetically connected. We responded at the same time...Bette.

by Anonymousreply 3703/25/2011

You look at blue eyes, you look INTO brown eyes.%0D %0D I know I have startlingly blue eyes, people tell me all the time, but I can't see them so it means nothing to me.%0D %0D Can we get over this?

by Anonymousreply 3803/25/2011

Marie Lafor%C3%AAt, a French actress and singer from the sixties had the most unbelievable violet eyes.%0D She is in Purple noon with Alain Delon.

by Anonymousreply 3903/25/2011

Eeps! I did write "Laforet".

by Anonymousreply 4003/25/2011

Eye colors can weird.

My mom insists my eyes were blue as a child, in my teens my eyes turned green.

I'd worked with a guy who literally had 'cat's eyes', besides the feline shape, his eyes were a very odd greenish-yellow. If they were consider hazel, they were the oddest shade of hazel I'd ever seen.

They were the most unusual eye color I'd ever seen in my life.

Years down the line, a female co-worker had also worked with him,we talked about his odd eye color, I work in very close knit field. He was also such a great guy, she told me he was the coolest boss she'd ever had.

NO, he didn't wear color contacts, he wore eyeglasses. He told me, everyone commented about his eyes and after awhile he got tired telling people he wasn't wearing contacts.

I also know a woman with one brown eye and one blue eye.

by Anonymousreply 4103/25/2011

A friend's son had the most beautiful blue eyes when he was a baby. Around the time he turned 3, they turned hazel.

by Anonymousreply 4203/25/2011

My eyes also change from blue to green; my eyes are a dull blue-green, a shade that picks up brighter colors nearby. Eyes that change color are usually like mine - a light, indeterminate, muted color.%0D %0D Liz's eyes seem to have been a subtle blue or blue-gray, definitely the sort of eyes that can be very changeable. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4303/25/2011

Yes, R9, she's wearing makeup--lipstick and eyeliner. What she's not wearing is foundation--hence, the freckles. I've done stuff like this--it's a no-makeup, makeup look!%0D She's obviously naturally beautiful--with lovely, dark brows. The less you need makeup, the more natural you can appear--that's why people get their eyelashes and eyebrows dyed!

by Anonymousreply 4403/25/2011

I have violet contacts. does that count?

by Anonymousreply 4503/25/2011

But seriously my co worker has violet eyes with dark hair. Everything else on her is unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 4603/25/2011

Wow, can we get OFF R9's photo? Fuck, we get it already.

by Anonymousreply 4703/25/2011

[quote]I know I have startlingly blue eyes, people tell me all the time, but I can't see them so it means nothing to me.

by Anonymousreply 4803/26/2011

While there are no extant color photos to confirm it, silent film queen, and lesbian extraordinaire, Alla Nazimova was said to have had violet colored eyes.

by Anonymousreply 4903/26/2011

When she was waiting to be wheeled in to the operating theatre, a head nurse who later wrote for one of the tabloids said she leaned directly over her and stared into her eyes: blue. Not violet. She was very disappointed!

However, I know someone with eyes that dramatically change their colour depending on the colour of reflections, and everyone with blue or green eyes knows that if you where those colours close to your face they increase the intensity of the eye colour.

Princess Margaret was also said to have violet eyes: it's a nice fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 5003/26/2011

No, but the sun does shine from my asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5103/26/2011

I had purple eyes for about half a day a few years ago.%0D %0D I%E2%80%99ve written about this here before, but here goes %E2%80%93 my eyes are green-blue-gray, with the green closer to the middle, light-blue around it and a gray outer circle. One day I woke up to work after having done drugs the previous night which kept my pupils dilated and my eyes were a shocking but a very lovely purple. Well, black in the middle and purple around it. Thankfully, after a few hours my pupils shrank and my eyes went back to their normal color. %0D %0D By the way, I was freelancing at the time, and after that day that company never called me back. I can't blame them.

by Anonymousreply 5203/26/2011

R10 was right, her eyes are purple in that photo.

Every obituary I've read or heard or seen mentioned Liz's violet eyes. So yes, it must've been a great marketing tool in her studio days, and the legend persists!

by Anonymousreply 5303/26/2011

Did anyone else see this headline about her death:

Elizabeth Taylor's violet eyes close forever.

Oh, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 5403/26/2011

I'd like to point out 2 things that have not been mentioned about r9's photo.%0D %0D 1. Liz's jaw line has been very clearly retouched by Roddy to look firmer.%0D %0D 2. The towel is mauve.

by Anonymousreply 5503/26/2011

I think her eye color can best be described as cornflower blue.

by Anonymousreply 5603/26/2011

I have hazel eyes which change a lot. After a good cry they are a beautiful emerald green but unfortunately bloodshot too.

by Anonymousreply 5703/26/2011

Another weird Hollywood PR trick is the idea that Arnold Shwarzennegger is 6'2". He is no more than 5'10". I stood face to face with him once on a level floor. I am 6'2" and he is several inches shorter than that. Yet he has managed to get his height listed incorrectly as over six feet in any number of allegedly reliable sources.%0D %0D It's like the violet eyes: if you repeat it often enough people will think it's true.

by Anonymousreply 5803/26/2011

Different Eye Colours %0D %0D In a brown eye there is a lot of melanin in the anterior border layer. This absorbs the light and gives a brown velvety appearance. %0D %0D In a blue eye there is not much melanin in the anterior border layer. The light passes into the stroma where the collagen fibres scatter the light back as blue.%0D %0D In a green eye (or a hazel one) there is a variable level of melanin, so that some of the light is absorbed by the melanin and some is scattered by the collagen. The brown layer looks yellow as it is thinner, and so the yellow and blue mix to make green. %0D %0D Red irides are a result of albinism. Albinism is where there is no melanin in the melanocytes at all. Therefore all of the blood vessels (in the iris and retina) are seen and a redder appearance is given. In practice only very few albinos have red eyes, the blue reflections of the collagen show up stronger and so most have blue/grey or even brown. The mixing of red and blue reflections can also give rise to [bold]violet eyes.[/bold] %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5903/26/2011

I have red eyes

by Anonymousreply 6003/27/2011

It's possible to have purely red eyes, too. But yes, naturally violet eyes are possible to have. Mine turn violet when it's really muggy outside.

by Anonymousreply 6208/24/2012

Hahahaha ... the "no makeup" photo. What kind of doofus says there's "no makeup" on her face?

by Anonymousreply 6308/24/2012

People say that I have Bette Davis eyes.

by Anonymousreply 6408/24/2012

Alla Nazimova supposedly had truly violet colored eyes, Too bad there are no color photos of her.

by Anonymousreply 6508/24/2012

I did meet her once at a political event in Virginia when she was married to Senator John Warner (one of her fat stages), and I remember being disappointed that her eyes were not violet (more blueish gray).

I will say that people who met her in her youth (18+) said that they gasped at her beauty. One wrote that he laughed nervously in response to being introduced because she was so beautiful. Julie Harris (a contemporary) said once she would have given all her talent for her Elizabeth's beauty.

by Anonymousreply 6608/24/2012

Blue or Violet she was a stunning beauty! But, yeah, in my opinion, they were just blue.

by Anonymousreply 6708/24/2012

Ava Gardner was much more beautiful than Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 6808/24/2012

Her eyes were blue. But it's so much more romantic to say they were violet.

by Anonymousreply 6908/24/2012

Gee, anyone who wears makeup can easily see that the picture of her with the towel on her head is not "natural". She is definitely wearing eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, and eyebrow pencil. No, those eyebrows that you see were not "natural". That was the style back then. Pencil in very dark, to enhance the brows that were already there. Anonymous may have had a friend of a friend....but he knows nothing about makeup. It is possible, with all of the freckles showing, that she might have been without "foundation" makeup...otherwise, she is all made up.

by Anonymousreply 7011/16/2012

Only when they are lazy eyes.

by Anonymousreply 7111/16/2012

My mother had 'em. They'd go from pale grey to violet depending upon what colors she was wearing. Didn't have three rows of eyelashes though, lol.

by Anonymousreply 7211/16/2012

I have green eyes, but there is a decent amount of yellow in them, but when I say I have green & yellow eyes people laugh at me. :(

by Anonymousreply 7311/16/2012

Remember she also had a double row of eyelashes. Some kind of genetic mutation so she always looked like she had on mascara. I think a studio head scolded her mother once about scrubbing the make up off your child's face.

by Anonymousreply 7411/16/2012

In PERSON her eyes looked blue-violet. They were navy blue but had red-brownish spots(blood's vessels)and the mix with the right light gave violet...Not like the flower of course but STUNNING and RARE. Even red cats aren't as red as a strawberry!!! Don't look the photos on the web: the dress she wore at Oscars 1970 was LAVENDER and looks "ceil" on the pics.

by Anonymousreply 7511/26/2012

In PERSON her eyes looked blue-violet. They were navy blue but had red-brownish spots(blood's vessels)and the mix with the right light gave violet...Not like the flower of course but STUNNING and RARE. Even red cats aren't as red as a strawberry!!! Don't look the photos on the web: the dress she wore at Oscars 1970 was LAVENDER and looks "ceil" on the pics.

by Anonymousreply 7611/26/2012

I have very, very blue eyes that will completely change color depending on the light and what I'm wearing. That's all it is, folks.

by Anonymousreply 7711/26/2012

I worked with this lady whose sister met Liz Taylor. Her sister said her eyes were definitely violet. Also, she said her eyes were stunningly piercing, jaw dropping, and captivating. she said you just had to see her in person to grasp her beauty because film and pictures didn't do her eyes and face justice.

Someone mentioned Ava Gardner. My mother had a friend who worked in Hollywood and she knew Ava Gardner. She said Ava was one of the most beautiful women that she ever seen. she said you couldn't help ,but just stand there and stare at her with awe. She said Ava had gorgeous deep green eyes with beautiful long eyelashes ,and even without makeup she was jaw dropping. She too said pictures and film did not do her beauty justice because you just had to see her in person to grasp her beauty. My mother's friend said, as a woman I said to myself, why couldn't I have been born that gorgeous, LOL! She was funny.

by Anonymousreply 7811/26/2012

[quote] I know I have startlingly blue eyes

Bitch, the only one that needs to "get over" anything is you. That's the second time you mentioned your alleged "startling blue" eyes, this thread is about Elizabeth Taylor, not you. Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 7911/26/2012

There is no such thing as "double eyelashes". That and the "violet eyes" were genius PR on the part of the studio. Liz definitely hit the genetic jackpot for looks, but legend is always more interesting than reality.

by Anonymousreply 8111/26/2012

Some of us have eyes that change color depending on what we are wearing or the amount of light in the room. Of course even a little makeup can enhance the effect. The "flecks" in the eye contribute to the perceived difference in color. On camera we may also look completely different. I can't tell you how many have asked if I wear contacts. No&never.

by Anonymousreply 8211/26/2012

I had a friend in highschool (a girl) who had eyes who would turn blue, green or gray. I don't mean that she would have these highlights of one of those colors but that they would really turn into those colors entirely. And, it wasn't colored lenses.

I also knew two people who had emerald green eyes - one a 15 year old and the other a 3 year old.

by Anonymousreply 8311/26/2012

My boyfriend's eyes are dark green when he wears sunny colors and dark gray blue when he wears dark colors.

I seem to recall seeing pics of ET's son and his eyes were violet.

by Anonymousreply 8411/26/2012

Lindsay Lohan also has violet eyes. I haven't thought of it until now, but perhaps that's part of why people thought of her for the Liz biopic. A natural purplish tint to the eyes is very rare, but the women have little in common otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 8511/26/2012

[quote]Well, I trust Roddy McDowall (longtime friend of a very close friend of mine)

Well, then we must trust him too, then. I mean, if he's a longtime friend of a very close friend of Anonymous on the Internet, he's unimpeachable.

by Anonymousreply 8611/26/2012

[quote]Lindsay Lohan also has violet eyes.

No, she doesn't.

She wore violet colored contacts for the TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 8711/26/2012

Lindsay Lohan's eyes are gray, which I've always thought was the prettiest eye color (though that rich cornflower blue Elizabeth Taylor had might be even prettier). Gray eyes are fairly rare, but among the celebrities who have it are Joaquin Phoenix, Joan Collins, and Rachel McAdams.

by Anonymousreply 8811/26/2012

Lindsay's gray eyes:

by Anonymousreply 8911/26/2012

I noticed Lindsay had violet eyes before, in Mean Girls. There's lots of good close-ups of her in that and I noticed a distinct purplish tint. It made an impression, because it was the first time I'd noticed that color since Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 9011/26/2012

Another shot of Lindsay's gray eyes:

by Anonymousreply 9111/26/2012

Giant close-up of Lindsay:

by Anonymousreply 9211/26/2012

They look purplish there too r89, maybe more lavender than violet, but definitely purplish.

by Anonymousreply 9311/26/2012

No violet, but been told I have Betty Davis eyes.

by Anonymousreply 9411/26/2012

They were blue/gray. In certain lighting they may have reflected a violet hue.

by Anonymousreply 9511/26/2012

"They look purplish there too [R89], maybe more lavender than violet, but definitely purplish"

No, they don't. They look GRAY. What the hell is wrong with you people, are you color blind or something? And all these people who have eyes that change color like a fucking mood ring; I think that's bullshit, too.

by Anonymousreply 9611/26/2012

When I look at R92s picture in close up, her eyes look blueish with some yellow around the iris, rather than a true gray. Ashlee Simpson, of all people, has true gray eyes.

I always thought Lindsay had blue eyes.

by Anonymousreply 9711/26/2012

[quote] [R47] is just angry that they're black and has it in for all Americans. R80, You of all people would know about a thread bringing out idiots, such as yourself. Trolldar's a bitch, and so are you.

by Anonymousreply 9811/27/2012

Lindsay's eyes look gray to me.

by Anonymousreply 9911/27/2012

[quote]There is no such thing as "double eyelashes".

There is. Only seen it once however. On a pretty male irish backpacker. Really impressive.

by Anonymousreply 10011/27/2012

r85, you're an idiot. Lohan has brown eyes like her parents, and siblings. Not even green or hazel. see her early commercials. Fucking idiot, you. I know who you are!

by Anonymousreply 10211/27/2012

She's got Violet Affleck eyes

by Anonymousreply 10311/27/2012

Her eyes were so blue that day.

by Anonymousreply 10411/27/2012

Yes, there is such a thing as double eyelashes, and Elizabeth Taylor had them--it's a mutation.

by Anonymousreply 10511/27/2012

The night has a thousand eyes..

by Anonymousreply 10611/27/2012

R107, out in California, it is not unusual for people to have come across movie stars uh? you know the film industry? You know, located in HOLLYWOOD?!!! You are aware that there have been thousands upon thousands of people who have worked in that industry over 100 years in that industry and its not unusual to come across someone, or someone who has a relative, etc. who met, worked, etc. with movie stars? Do you live in some isolated desert rarely any with human contact or the outside world?

by Anonymousreply 10811/28/2012

r108, reality check. I am a public personality who has seen it all. You're drunk. Go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 10911/28/2012

R109, I don't give a rat's ass if you are the president! I am an 8th generation Californian, and I am related to many historical figures of California history and I know a lot! So what?!

I am a public personality who has seen it all.

Yes, I know who you are. You are a legend! You are the one who made headlines back in the 80's when you threw that chair at Geraldo Rivera and broke his nose!

BTW, You're the one who is drunk! Its what you obviously do best,and THE ONLY THING YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO WELL!

by Anonymousreply 11011/28/2012

Mine are lilac color which is a pale violet

by Anonymousreply 11102/05/2013

u are r crazy people can have purple eyes

by Anonymousreply 11207/03/2013

She has great lips too!

by Anonymousreply 11307/03/2013

Met a boy once with double lashes. It definitely is a stunning mutuation. Never seen it since. Lush lashes yes, but not the true genuine double lashes that he had.

Most stunning eyes I've ever seen were deep blue but the colour 'shattered' into myriad hues with amazing depth, like looking into a deep pool linded with flecked blue marble.

The creepiest eyes I ever seen were on a girl on a tram: colobomas in both irises giving her keyhole irises. I'm absolutely certain she would have been burnt as a witch in the Middle Ages. She kept her head down because once you saw them you couldn't stop looking!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11407/03/2013

lol at r8. You know they could still tint photos back then, right?

by Anonymousreply 11507/03/2013

R18, when he said without makeup, he meant foundation. She clearly has eyeliner and brow pencil plus mascara.

by Anonymousreply 11607/03/2013

OK, I take back the mascara.

by Anonymousreply 11707/03/2013

R9, that is a pink towel. Not lavender. Not lilac, or even della Robbia blue.

Even in days of yesteryear, it was not uncommon for photographs to be adjusted for color. If it suited MGM for Ms Taylor to have lavender eyes, she could easily be shown with lavender eyes.

by Anonymousreply 11807/03/2013

Ooh! Double lashes! That sounds kinky!

by Anonymousreply 11907/03/2013

How 'bout VIOLENT eyes, bitch? Pow Pow!!

by Anonymousreply 12007/03/2013

[quote]I am an 8th generation Californian, and I am related to many historical figures of California history and I know a lot!

by Anonymousreply 12107/03/2013

"Violet"? No. I hear SOOOO many people braving about there "violet"eyes. They're LIGHT BLUE!!!! There is NO violet.

by Anonymousreply 12212/01/2014

I knew a girl with violet eyes. An unusual shade of purply blue. Also had mousy hair and a body like an overstuffed trash bag. They do exist but very unusual.

by Anonymousreply 12312/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!