Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Orange juice

What happens if I don't refrigerate unopened orange juice? Does it really go bad?

by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2011

Tang has a six year shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2011

Add vodka to preserve, Silly.

You never 'cleaned up' leftover drinks from a party?

What kind of alcoholic are you?

by Anonymousreply 303/24/2011

What an idiot R1 is. Sunny Delight is not orange juice. It is chemicalized empty nothingness. You might as well drink old fashioned cheap zero nutrient Kool-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 403/24/2011

It's ok if it comes in a can.

by Anonymousreply 503/24/2011

Serious reply: yes, it does go bad after a few days. How quickly depends mostly on the temperature.%0D %0D You can usually tell -- it tends to get darker, and you can definitely tast if it's gone bad.

by Anonymousreply 603/24/2011

I prefer lemonade.

by Anonymousreply 703/24/2011

R1's the type of idiot who lets a small child drink 1.5 liters of Sunny D a day because "orange juice is healthy!"

by Anonymousreply 803/24/2011

It doesn't go bad, OP. It turns into Pruno.

by Anonymousreply 903/24/2011

If it's pasteurized, it will probably kill you. If it is fresh squeezed, it will ferment.

by Anonymousreply 1003/24/2011

If it's normal, 100% OJ, it'll be fine for a day or a few days, depending on temp, then it'll slowly start to ferment (if you taste it it'll taste sort of sharp or even fizzy, if it's really fermenting) and then it'll start to go mouldy. It won't kill you but don't drink it if it clearly tastes off. But when I was in the US I noticed some kinds of 'orange juice' have weird things like HFCs and additives in the ingredients list, so if it's not pure I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 1103/24/2011

The only kind of OJ one should buy is Tropicana NOT from concentrate in the cartons or jugs or maybe the frozen cardboard cans.%0D %0D Once in a while Minute Maid MADE FROM concentrate is okay.

by Anonymousreply 1203/24/2011

OMG, R1, oversensitive much?

But did you really think Sunny Delight is the same as orange juice?

If so, you really need to educate yourself about nutrition and about reading ingredient labels.

For example, the ingredient list for real oj reads "orange jiuce" (and perhaps "water", if it's concentrated). The ingredient list for Sunny D, otoh, reads like a fucking encyclopedia and literally includes vegetable oil. WTF!!!

FYI. when something that seems like a juice is labelled "drink", that means it's not pure juice but instead has other crap in it. Don't buy "orange drink", buy "orange juice".

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2011

To be fair to the adorable R1, Sunny D is 2% or less orange juice.

It's also 2% or less tangerine, apple, lime, grapefruit juice, citric acid, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), beta-carotene, thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1), natural Flavors, food starch-modified, canola oil, cellulose gum, xanthan gum, sodium hexametaphosphate, sodium benzoate to protect flavor, yellow #5, yellow #6.

Everything else is water and high fructose corn syrup.

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2011

Sunny D is complete garbage

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2011

A good friend cannot drink orange/citrus juice due to kidney disease and failure. He loves OJ but has to decline. He therefore drinks the crap/garbage/nothingness that everyone was so kind to describe to satisfy his OJ craving. Question is: I buy it at Sam's Club or Dollar General where it is unrefrigerated. However Sunny D is always refrigerated at nicer grocery stores, separated from the aisle of juices which are also often simply juice 'drinks' after many additives. There is an expiration date on the bottle, but I wonder if it needs to be refrigerated BEFORE it is opened. My friend has consumed it for the past ten years and never had problems, so we will continue to purchase it from the shelves. If someone who really knows the answer would like to comment it would be more appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2011

I just pick enough oranges to squeeze for O.J. for the day.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2011

Well I live in Brooklyn R18 and the highlight of my weekend is making fresh-squeezed juice every Saturday and Sunday morning from oranges shipped to my local fruit market. Now that grapefruits are in season I have them along with my oatmeal each weekend morning. %0D %0D I cannot drink any juice from a carton anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2011

Squeeze a fresh orange into a glass and let it sit out at room temperature. The warmer the temp the quicker it will go bad. You can leave a whole orange out for a long time and the juice will be fine because the juice is naturally sealed from the air.

The lack of common sense by some on this board is staggering at times.

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2011

[quote]The lack of common sense by some on this board is staggering at times.

Say whaaaaaat?

Listen up, Priscilla, don't be throwing around insulting terms when you yourself are one of the biggest schmucks on the thread.

An intact orange won't go bad "because the juice is naturally sealed from the air", and therefore OP doesn't have to worry?

Have you ever heard of a little thing called GERMS, genius?

Orange juice that has been processed [and if it's not inside the orange skin, it's processed] has been exposed to probably millions of tiny bacteria which are a threat to its freshness and efficacy. Standard room temperature lets bacteria flourish, which is why most "wet" food needs to be kept either quite hot or quite cold.

If the carton or container says to refrigerate, then refrigerate!

by Anonymousreply 2104/26/2011

Orange juice is just the precursor to something tremendous: Orange Julius.

by Anonymousreply 2204/26/2011

yes after about 12 hours.

by Anonymousreply 2304/26/2011

Unrefridgerated orange juice? Leave it out on the counter for days, weeks even. If you're gay, it's safe to drink; won't affect you in the least bit.

You should also encourage all your gay friends to leave their orange juice out on the counter for days before drinking it.

by Anonymousreply 2404/26/2011

After reading this article about how orange juice is produced, I stopped drinking the stuff.%0D %0D A quote from the article:%0D %0D [quote]Q: What would consumers be surprised to discover about orange juice? %0D %0D [quote]A: The leading producers of "not from concentrate" (a.k.a. pasteurized) orange juice keep their juice in million-gallon aseptic storage tanks to ensure a year-round supply. Juice stored this way has to be stripped of oxygen, a process known as de-aeration, so it doesn't oxidize in the tanks. When the juice is stripped of oxygen, it is also stripped of flavour-providing chemicals ... If you were to try the juice coming out of the tanks, it would taste like sugar water. %0D %0D [quote]Juice companies therefore hire flavour and fragrance companies, the same ones that make popular perfumes and colognes, to fabricate flavour packs to add back to their product to make it taste like orange juice.

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2011

R22, I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours:

1 3/4 Cup fresh orange juice

1 Cup milk (low-fat okay, undiluted evaporated is best)

1/4 Cup sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

8 ice cubes

Pour all ingredients, except ice cubes, in a blender.

Blend, adding ice cubes one at a time, until smooth.

Serve immediately.

by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!