Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will my dog be traumatized?

Going on vacation for 3 weeks and have to kennel my 4 year old dog. I work from home, so she and I are practically inseparable. No one I know can keep her, or house sit - and frankly I really don't have a lot of people nearby who I trust to do that anyway. What can I do to make sure she is more comfortable there? I have kenneled her before, but only for a few days. She is always happy to go, and excited when she gets there, but when I pick her up, she is glad to come home. It's the kennel at PetsMart, really nice. Vet/animal hospital on site, other dogs to play with, nice staff. I have been taking her there for the last few years whenever I need to go out of town. My partner thinks I am being too protective and worried over nothing. I just want to make sure she isn't sitting there the whole time upset and sad, wondering why she's there for so long.

by Anonymousreply 11107/05/2014

partner? How do you define that term if he won't take care of your dog?

by Anonymousreply 103/20/2011

It sounds just fine, OP. You've covered the important bases by picking this kennel (vet/hospital onsite, other dogs/socializing). PetSmart is a good company and they don't hire people who don't like animals, so your dog should be well cared for. Will they let you leave a favorite toy and one of your t-shirts with your dog, OP? Your scent is important. The time thing isn't as important. Days vs. weeks shouldn't be an additional stressor for a dog. Being there longer allow the dog to adjust and settle in.

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2011

It's sad that R1's partner refuses to vacation with him/her.

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2011

I'm curious too.

My dog is about 4 or 5. I got him from a rescue group 2 years ago. He has huge separation anxiety issues, freaks out when I leave the apartment, no matter how long I'm gone. I think he's terrified of being abandoned or lost again. so far, I've been able to bring him along anytime I've gone out of town, but that won't always be the case. Probably the best I can do is have a friend house-sit, but that seems like a terrible imposition.

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2011

R1, I would assume the partner is going on vacation with the OP.

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2011

R1, he's coming with me. We'll both be gone. Sorry, I forgot clarify.

by Anonymousreply 703/20/2011

OP, why don't you kennel her for one night and then try two nights as trial runs? Exposing her to it a bit at a time will relieve her anxiety and yours as well.

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2011

OP - Your dog will be fine. Especially since she's already been to that kennel. Dogs don't have the same sense of time we do - she won't have a sense of how long you've been gone when you return. Also, you're giving her a substitute pack while you're gone so she should be able to manage her separation anxiety.

If you're really concerned you can find a kennel with web cams so you can check up on her.

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2011

Of course your dog is going to be traumatized- he/she will be without you, out of its element, routine and its home and not knowing if/when it will ever see you again. You are doing all you can, but there are no two ways about it. He will worry and may grieve you.

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2011

R2 - what? People with pets should never go on vacation?

R3 - Thank you. Great idea about toy/shirt.

R4 - Why would you even use a word like "refuses" WTF? I left out that he is coming with me.

R5 - hope you get good advice here too.

R6 - yes, you are right.

by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2011

R8, I have kenneled her there in the past, but only for 3 nights maximum. She's fine with it and seems to enjoy being there.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2011

Whose partner wouldn't be going on a three week vacation with them???%0D %0D Oh, yeah, R1's.

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2011

Thanks R9 R10, I hope that's not true :(

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2011

I would not consider it an imposition to house-sit for a friend whose house was comfortable & conveniently located -- if the place was furnished with a nice pet/pets, so much the better in my view.

But for anyone who doesn't have a friend like me, there are professional pet sitters who are bonded & can offer references -- some will live at the house if you want, others just visit a couple of times per day. Ask your vet or check the yellow pages.

by Anonymousreply 1503/20/2011

One thing my vet told me was that animals really have no concept of time. They won't know the difference if they are in the kennel for a day or a month. They just live in the moment and don't "think" about the past (gee, I've been here a week) or the future (gee, I am going to be here another 2 weeks??). I have no idea if that's true, but it made me feel better about leaving my pet at the kennel on the few times I had to. Hope that helps!!

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2011

your dog is going to kill itself. Do NOT leave it in a kennel for 3 weeks no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2011

If your dog seems to be fine with being kenneled, he'll probably be okay. But if you're worried about the long time frame, maybe you could have a friend that your dog knows come check on him at Petsmart from time to time.

My dog has huge separation anxiety issues and would hate being kenneled, so when we go on vacation we have a service come two times a day to feed and walk him. It's only a little more expensive than kenneling and he's much more comfortable. Maybe you can look into similar services in your area, if you're that worried about kenneling your dog.

by Anonymousreply 1803/20/2011

Why do irresponsible people even bother getting pets? I really want a dog, but I travel so much for work that I know it'd be unfair. That's the only thing I don't get...doesn't sound like OP's lifestyle is conducive to being a dog owner.

by Anonymousreply 1903/20/2011

OP, I was remarking on R1's snarky reply, not on your post.

by Anonymousreply 2103/20/2011

R19, it sounds like OP rarely takes vacations. Is it really reasonable to expect that a dog owner should never be able to take a vacation again for the rest of the dog's life? What about going out of state to see family once a year? Sometimes bringing the dog along is not an option.

by Anonymousreply 2203/20/2011

R19, don't be a dick. I haven't taken a vacation (other than about five 2 or 3 day getaways) since I have had her. I work from home and am here all the time. So don't be saying shit about what's conducive. Or did you even bother to read the original post?

R16, very helpful

R20, not so helpful

R17, another smartass

R18, I may look into that, but she already knows and is comfortable with the staff there. Sometimes I even take her in when I get her. food, she always runs (drags me) to the "Pet Hotel" to see the folks there.

Also, my nephew said he'd go and visit her a few times a week, so yes, that may help.

R4 / R21, sorry, now I feel like an ass.

R22, exactly. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2303/20/2011

R22, how many people do you know who take 3 weeks of vacation at a time? It's just a bit odd, that's all.

Anyway, the dog sitter idea is probably the best one being mentioned. If the dog is going to be abandoned for 3 weeks, it should at least be in familiar surroundings and maintaing a sense of normalcy with an uninterrupted routine (meals, walks, etc.). I've dog sat before (1-2 weeks) and while the dogs will miss their owners, they're less melancholy in their own home.

My parents put their dog up at a nice kennel that offers webcam access, regular walks, and playtime. Their dog seems to cope fine in that environment, but again, they've never been gone longer than a week.

3 weeks in a kennel sounds like the worst idea offered up so far. I'm sure if it was a rescue dog, it'll set off some bad memories.

by Anonymousreply 2403/20/2011

Don't feel bad, OP. It's R1's job to be an ass. You're fine.

by Anonymousreply 2503/20/2011

R19, it's why I went with cats instead of a dog. No sacrifice as I love cats but would love a dog one day. Probably in retirement when I'm not away from home 10-11 hours every day. Counting vacations and minor work travel, I'm out of town about 4-6 weeks a year. I try to not go away for more than 2 weeks in one trip. I have a couple of friends who come in daily to take care of cats.

OP, the local Petsmart kennel doesn't allow the dogs to go out to do their business. Instead the dogs go inside a room for potty breaks. I'd be concerned that may break up the dog's potty routine and good habits.

I volunteer at a Petsmart and generally think they're okay. They provide adequate service but aren't really top of the line in kenneling, vet's office (I think Banfield is terrible in some ways) or dog training. Though having a vet office onsite for a sudden health issue is helpful even if I wouldn't use the office as my regular vet office.

To help the dog feel safe and secure, I'd bring his familiar items--toys, blankets,one clothing item of yours, and even food if it's allowed.

by Anonymousreply 2603/20/2011

[quote]how many people do you know who take 3 weeks of vacation at a time? It's just a bit odd, that's all.

Myself, and several of my coworkers, it's pretty common actually. We're all from other far-away states/countries, and rarely get back home. When we do, we have to take longer trips to get everything in.

That said, for a 3-week period, I'd opt for having someone house sit if possible.

by Anonymousreply 2703/20/2011

R20, in general I think dogs should be kenneled as they shouldn't be left alone at home for 22-23 hours a day. If not kenneled, then they should be with be with a friend or a sitter.

Cats, though, are a different story. Cats, especially indoor ones, are particularly wedded to their locations, and to put them in a cage in a kennel is very traumatizing. They can be left alone at home and they do not need outside potty breaks so kenneling isn't really the best option for cats. They will be much more comfortable in their own home, feel more secure and will be fine as long as someone comes by to take care of their needs and gives them some play time.

by Anonymousreply 2803/20/2011

I have heard that about dogs not experiencing time as we do and it makes sense. How would a dog know what a "week" was? At the same time, I cannot help but sense they know about the passing of the days, they know this is another night, another morning. But, I have left my dog for about two weeks, OP, and I think I did much more worrying than the dog did. r26, do dogs boarded at Petsmart go outside at all during their stay?

by Anonymousreply 2903/20/2011

Having a pet, a dog especially, invokes a lot of responsibility.

I, personally, could not leave my dog in a kennel for 3 weeks. If there really is no other option -- a professional house/dog sitter, a trusted friend or family member, bringing the dog with you -- then I would not go away for that long.

You asked for advice, you got it. Of course your dog will be traumatized. His pack suddenly disappears and he's in a strange place for three weeks? Jesus Christ. Sorry if it's INCONVENIENT, but you're responsible for that animal.

by Anonymousreply 3003/20/2011

I have boarded my dogs for two weeks at a time and they have done fine.%0D %0D It probably helps that there are two of them to keep each other company.

by Anonymousreply 3103/20/2011

R29, if I recall correctly, the dogs do get walked (it may even be on request and not the norm) but spend the majority of their time indoors. There are play rooms.

If I had to choose, I'd opt for a dedicated a dog sitting/kenneling location. I'm in the DC metro area and there are plenty of kennels out in the suburbs/rural areas that have plenty of space for the dogs to play outdoors, some even have doggy pools. A lot of these places do long term sitting to accommodate the DC workforce where going overseas for weeks or months at at time is common.

by Anonymousreply 3303/20/2011

{quote]If the dog is going to be abandoned for 3 weeks ...

by Anonymousreply 3403/20/2011

Dog people are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 3503/20/2011

R35, they I take it you are a dog person?

by Anonymousreply 3603/20/2011

I would never do that to my dog.

by Anonymousreply 3703/20/2011

I don't know- no one does- how any other creature conceives time.

I do know other animals grieve loss- dogs do.

Whether he suffers for 3 weeks our time- more or less to him, who knows. I know the dog will suffer because he will be without the person who is the center of his world and out of his home.

Do the best you can OP but be cognizant of that- keep him at home if at all possible. At least its the place he knows that you always come home to and the place he is most comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 3803/20/2011

FFS get a fucking grip! "My partner thinks I am being too protective and worried over nothing. I just want to make sure she isn't sitting there the whole time upset and sad, wondering why she's there for so long."%0D %0D Er... yeah and with good reason you 'tard. Stop projecting human characteristics onto a fucking dog. Why not just have the bitch put down and fucking stuffed and then you wont have to fucking worry - you can pack her in your fucking suitcase.%0D %0D Sheesh.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3903/20/2011

[quote] what? People with pets should never go on vacation?

It you can't take the pet with you, then no.

by Anonymousreply 4003/20/2011

one week is like seven weeks in dog years. After the first week, it will assume you are never coming back. Take it's belt and shoelaces away.

by Anonymousreply 4103/20/2011

People with dogs need to carefully consider vacations BEFORE they get the dog.

We have two dogs and before we committed to bringing a dog into our home, my partner and I discussed the effects it would have on our being able to take vacations freely. We agreed that trips of more than a week in duration were out and that, if at all possible, we'd have a house/dog sitter or we'd bring the dogs with us. We've kept to both resolutions. Fortunately we have a good friend who loves the dogs and loves staying at our house. But even with that option, we still only go away for a week at a time.

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2011

It looks like it's the 3 week period, OP, that is causing some concern. Is here a way to cut the trip to 2 weeks?

by Anonymousreply 4403/20/2011

When I was on a reality show, I kenneled my dog for over 3 months with no problems. Dogs have no sense of time. 3 months is like 3 hours to them.

by Anonymousreply 4503/20/2011

I hate to break it ya, but as long as a dog is being fed and can play with other dogs, they're happy.

by Anonymousreply 4603/20/2011

What show were you on, r45?

by Anonymousreply 4703/20/2011

I think R46 has the best advice so far.

by Anonymousreply 4803/20/2011

How the HELL does ANYONE know what a dog's perception if time is? Answer = THEY DON'T!!!

by Anonymousreply 4903/20/2011

Is there a kennel in your area that practices social boarding? When we go out of town, our dog plays nonstop with other dogs and when we bring her home, she sleeps for two days because she's worn herself out. I doubt she has time to wonder where we are.

by Anonymousreply 5003/20/2011

OP, if your name is John and you're married to Peter, please use Petsmart.

by Anonymousreply 5103/20/2011

R50, like I've always said: A tired dog is a happy dog.

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2011

Please do not kennel for 3 weeks, you won't recognize your pup's personality anymore and he will be fearful of being abandoned again always. %0D I vote for a housesitter/dog walker. there isn't a coworker or anybody who could help you out? or two people you know, one for mornings/the other nights or weekdays/weekends?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5303/20/2011

Human beings really do like to rationalize how their behavior affects other creatures. The dog won't know the difference between 1 day and 20- won't care as long as there is food and other dogs to hang with, etc. Makes us feel better, that is what that is all about. Its like saying the pig on the line waiting for slaughter is too dumb to feel fear and dread. Makes us feel better about how we treat other creatures to assume they don't feel loss and fear and sadness. They do.

You KNOW it OP or you wouldn't be asking hoping for a different answer. I don't know what I would do in your situation but I do know a set up that I believed would leave my dog unhappy would be a deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 5403/20/2011

OP- 3 weeks is excessive. You can't break your vacation up into smaller periods of time?

Sorry, but part of the responsibility of having a pet is that you care about its well-being. You can take a vacation without being gone for 3 weeks at a time.

by Anonymousreply 5503/20/2011

I'm a dog lover but some of the responses are way over the top. Dogs are social creatures. They need food, water, other dogs to play with and affection. Three weeks in a kennel and they'll get those things. Sounds like some people need to desperately feel that their dog won't make it for a few weeks without them. Bull. %0D %0D I'd actually trust a known kennel more than a dog walker who might just show up twice a day for a short walk and to change water and food bowls. At least with a kennel one knows that the dog is being watched by someone and gets fed and exercised.

by Anonymousreply 5603/20/2011

Sorry, OP, but I think you are an irresponsible dog owner and rather selfish for going away for 3 weeks. Please don't think about having children. And PeTSMART???? Really? You can't find a higher quality kennel? Petsmart, maybe for 1 night, but for 3 weeks. Take some of the money your paying for your round the world cruise and put it towards making the dog comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 5703/20/2011

DId the OP ever say where he was going for 3 weeks? Long vacations are not unusual of course but it seems like something is missing from the story. Earlier OP was on responding to just about every post and now seems to have vanished.

by Anonymousreply 5803/20/2011

PetSmart is a perfectly fine kennel for a three week stay, OP, but you must prepare him for it.

Start making cracks about his weight right now, asking questions such as, "Are you really going to eat THAT?", "Hungry again so soon?", and "Have you considered eating tissue paper? I hear it's filling, yet slimming".

On Drop-Off Day announce that you've secured him a spot at an exclusive fat camp for obese dogs and you'll welcome him home when he's slim and well-behaved.

Make sure to compliment him on his weight when you get home.

by Anonymousreply 5903/20/2011

The OP vanished? Maybe his dog found out he was being put in a kennel for three weeks and went for his throat.

by Anonymousreply 6003/21/2011

The OP had sex with his partner and went to sleep you DL addicts.

by Anonymousreply 6103/21/2011

Some of the replies here are truly scary. A dog is not a child; he's a pet. There's a big difference. I wonder if gay men, who can't have their own children without tremendous expense and difficulty, sometimes substitute pets for children and lose any understanding that they're not the same. A three-week vacation seems very much within the range of acceptable behavior for a pet owner. Those who don't think so are self-righteous gasbags without a sense of perspective -- and probably without much of a life.

OP, enjoy yourself. When you get back, your dog will be just fine -- no worse for wear and thrilled to see you again. Please remember: pets thrive around happy owners.

by Anonymousreply 6203/21/2011

R62, are you really attempting to argue that personal happiness depends on a three week vacation far from home?

Dogs are not children, true. Nor are they a houseplant.

by Anonymousreply 6303/21/2011

r17 is the kind of bitchy, smark alecky humor that always works so well on DL. misshelenbedd, on the other hand, demonstrates how he has no idea where to draw the line.

by Anonymousreply 6403/21/2011

My dog LOVES to go to the kennel. He plays until he drops.

by Anonymousreply 6503/21/2011

For a dog, a good kennel is more like "oooh! summer camp!" than "prison". If your dog has reasonably OK social skills with other friendly dogs, and if the kennel has decent reviews on Yelp etc (you have to ignore the one or two complainers; take the average review) then I say board her and relax about it.

And cutting the vacation to two weeks instead of three is just silly. Nothing happens to your dog's brain, and your relationship, between Day 14 and Day 21 that is that intense or irreversible.

by Anonymousreply 6603/21/2011

by Anonymousreply 6703/21/2011

Those of you that are so shocked that OP would ABANDON his pet for 3 weeks -I'm guessing you hate overprotective parents don't you? %0D %0D OP - have fun on your trip and be grateful you aren't most of these silly posters.

by Anonymousreply 6803/21/2011

I agree with R62. Some of you people are just absurd. It's our duty as pet owners to ensure a safe, comfortable life for our pets but if you let them rule your life and your mobility, it's you who is the problem, not the pet.%0D %0D The dog won't die. I think the best solution is a pet sitter but a good kennel will do in a pinch. %0D %0D It's your responsibility to make sure your pet is well treated, well fed and socialized. But it's true, a pet is not a child. I won't put my life on hold for my cats. I go away on many weekends and take a week or two vacation a year. I have a trusted pet sitter who comes in to make sure they are fed, their little box is clean and they get a little play time. I don't worry about them, the sitter has my cell phone number if there is an emergency.%0D %0D Go and have a good time OP, if you've made arrangements for the dog. He will survive.

by Anonymousreply 6903/21/2011

Oh dear:

by Anonymousreply 7003/21/2011

[quote] And cutting the vacation to two weeks instead of three is just silly. Nothing happens to your dog's brain, and your relationship, between Day 14 and Day 21 that is that intense or irreversible.

Probably the most sensible post on this thread. God, some of you Marys (or Pam-bos) who demand that other people become as miserable as you are too fucking much.

by Anonymousreply 7103/21/2011

Here's a tip that a Vet, who is also a dog lover, gave to me. When you take your dog to the kennel, make sure they put a piece of your dirty clothing in with the animal. Your scent will be on the clothing and it will help to stop any separation anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 7203/21/2011

For goodness sakes, it's a damn mutt. Take it with you if it's that damn serious for you.

by Anonymousreply 7303/21/2011

Thank god at least a few of you are sane.

OP, find a good kennel with a good reputation. Take the dog there for an overnight or weekend to get him used to it.

Then enjoy your vacation.

by Anonymousreply 7403/21/2011

OP here, and I did not "magically disappear". I do have a life outside of the DL. Some of you are just too much.

A lot of great advice here, but honestly, some of you are really a bit ridiculous. I am not abandoning my dog. Thanks to those who can look at this realistically and posted as such. As opposed to the others who have been so over the top, mean and trying to make me feel guilty.

After talking to my vet, and other people who have safely kenneled their dogs, I am sure she will be fine. She will be happily socializing with other dogs and people. She will be fed, have her treats and playtime with the staff. My nephew will go play with her a few times a week as well. She'll have a great time.

My vet has also said many dogs love variety, a change of pace and new experiences. Especially if they are social and love other people and dogs, as mine does. She is a lab mix, and enjoys getting out and doing fun stuff. And, as I said before, loves this place I am taking her. He knows my dog well, and assured me that with her temperament and love of all things interesting and new, she'll have a great time. She's not a timid, sad, dependent little creature who has separation anxiety. When I take her to PetsMart to get food, she pulls me toward the Pet Hotel. She obviously remembers it as a great experience.

Also, I talked to the staff there and they said the same. She's always been sociable, happy, playful and has never had any issues of having separation problems. Some dogs do, from the very first day - but even they perk up once it's time to play and have treats, etc.

She knows there is a world outside of me and my partner. I think there is a problem with people who have their pets and act like the pet will die without them. It's just not true. They may miss your companionship, but they are not going to come back to you all fucked up unless there were a bit fucked up in the first place. And usually this happens when owners make them their world and smother the poor dog.

Anyway, I have confidence that she will have a fun time, and will be happy to see me when I get back. All you naysayers can post what you will, but I will take the word of my vet, the kennel staff, and my friends who have boarded their dogs over the hysterical rantings here. Although I know those folks will come back with the usual "Oh! Now you're mad that we told you something you didn't want to hear!!" "You don't want to hear the TRUTH!!", etc .. whatever.

Again, thanks to those who have real perspective on this.

by Anonymousreply 7503/21/2011

Well OP with such confidence I can't imagine why you posted a thread like WILL MY DOG BE TRAUMATIZED? only yesterday.

Have a good trip.

by Anonymousreply 7603/21/2011

R76, because it's before I was educated and had the information I have today.

And thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7703/21/2011

Op= troll.

by Anonymousreply 7803/21/2011

When we go away, we leave our dog with his vet. The vet has five dogs of his own, and we know our dog wil be well cared for, and if anything should happen to him regarding his health, he is right there with his vet. And our dog seems to love it there. When we drop him off, he doesn't even look back. He just trots off, tail wagging, happy as can be. We did hire a dog sitter twice. Once she stayed at our place, and once our dog stayed with her. He didn't seem to mind, but we found it quite disconcerting that when we returned the dog sitter left us a long list of things we were doing wrong. Needless to say, we never hired her again, and he went back to the vet. The longest we have left him is 12 days.

by Anonymousreply 7903/21/2011

"The vet has five dogs of his own"%0D %0D What kind of nut case has FIVE dogs? His house must smell like the fifth circle of hell.

by Anonymousreply 8003/21/2011

OP's hilarious. He asks for advice, gets offended when most people tells him the opposite of what he wants to hear, and then ends up doing exactly what he was going to in the first place. If he just wanted his ego stroked, all he had to do was ask.

by Anonymousreply 8103/21/2011

OP - It was your partner's idea to go on holidays, wasn't it!?!

by Anonymousreply 8203/21/2011

OP, your dog will do just fine. When I had my first dog, I traveled a lot for work so I'd board him. HE LOVED IT. One time I came back and a vet tech was playing with him on their front lawn.

Then I met my partner, and we got another dog. If we traveled or if they had to have a vet visit we had to be careful not to mention it to the dogs until we got into the car. Because they would get too excited. When they were in the car, I'd tell them "We're going to Happy Camp!" They would bark and scream and cry. In a good way.

When we got to Happy Camp, they'd run in and the staff would shout "It's the happy pugs!" They'd run around, kiss the staff, try and kiss the other animals in the waiting room and be out of their minds with happiness.

Then we got a third pug, and it was the same thing. All of them loved Happy Camp. We went away for three weeks to visit family and friends back east and boarded them. When we got back, they were happy to see us, but could have stayed at Happy Camp forever.

Some animals hate being boarded, some love it. I guess it depends on the people who are caring for them. In our case, we were fortunate.

by Anonymousreply 8303/21/2011

I said

[quote]Although I know those folks will come back with the usual "Oh! Now you're mad that we told you something you didn't want to hear!!" "You don't want to hear the TRUTH!!", etc .. whatever.

And, of course R81, breezes in and does just that! Too funny (and, oh, so predictable!)

To you R81: Boo hoo, I learned more, spoke to reputable people, and didn't take your advice.

I see you are also R2, R19 and R24, so I'm not shocked.

R83, thanks, it's nice to hear from someone who has actually done this as opposed to all the hysterical Marys who are afraid if they are away from their pets for a day at a time, the pet will fall into depression and never recover. Your pugs sound adorable!

Thank you, too R79.

by Anonymousreply 8403/21/2011

OP, glad you sorted it out for yourself, but your original post did contain the word "Traumatized?" as a question. So go easy on the fretters -- you too had some of the anxiety and fretting that you now ascribe to others.

Glad you feel good about the kennel thing now. Sounds like your dog will be happy there.

by Anonymousreply 8503/21/2011

R85, true. I was freaked out .. point taken! You're right, thanks :) And thanks for your post at R66.

by Anonymousreply 8603/21/2011

R87, grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 8803/21/2011

Actually, r81 is exactly right. You disregarded the advice you didn't want to hear and only listened to the stuff that agreed with you.

Please don't start anymore threads OP. You're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 8903/21/2011

No, I was exactly right. I knew you screaming Marys would be back shitting on me. Again, so predictable.

And btw, I *was* worried, but after listening to people more qualified than you, I made my own decision. Had my vet, kennel, etc., cautioned me about 3 weeks being too long, I would have had a different response. Perhaps one you would have been happy with. You must hate it when people in your real life disagree with you.

PS: I think I'll start as many threads as possible now, just to get your dander up. So sensitive to the touch, you are!!

by Anonymousreply 9003/21/2011

OP/R88, locking up the animal in a cage for three weeks is selfish and childish.

Euthanaizing an unwanted animal is the mature decision.

So shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 9103/21/2011

Let OP enjoy his Atlantis cruise in peace. He made his choice.

by Anonymousreply 9203/21/2011

[quote]When you take your dog to the kennel, make sure they put a piece of your dirty clothing in with the animal. Your scent will be on the clothing and it will help to stop any separation anxiety.

I always leave my used jockstrap when I go out of town.

by Anonymousreply 9303/21/2011

OP- are you twelve years old? You sound like it.

Three weeks is too long, particularly since you're around your dog all the time . If you didn't want the responsibility of a pet you shouldn't have gotten one. PERIOD. Pet owners make sacrifices. You're a selfish twit trying to rationalize being an asshole.

Your circumstances are the issue here. If your dog were used to be in a kennel, or was at least used to being away from you at times, that would be one thing. But by your own admission the dog is used to you being around. It will grieve and suffer. You should have prepared your pet for periodic absences. But you're a selfish jerk.

by Anonymousreply 9403/21/2011

It depends on the dog. Some dogs become really attached and become stressed when left. Others couldn't care less. Sounds like yours is the former.

As an owner of many dogs (currently 4) I would suggest that you not only brings some toys and items with your scent - perhaps their favorite bed - but also bring her food. Most dogs get stomach distress with sudden changes in diet, so you wouldn't want an already stressed pet to be having stomach issues.

Oh... and I would never kennel at a vets. Too many chances for it to catch something from a sick animal. Kennels require proof of vaccinations for most doggy illnesses and it would be rare for someone to drop off a sick dog. But then I don't even like to let my dogs on the floor when at the vets. The dog will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 9503/22/2011

Has OP considered asking PetSmart if he can sleep with the dog on premises for a few nights before the trip?

The day of the trip, OP could just say, "I'm slipping out for a glass of water" and then return a month later claiming to have gotten lost. Dogs understand and forgive 'lost'.

by Anonymousreply 9603/22/2011

I am appalled by some of the answers here on this thread. I have had my golden retriever for 7 years during which time I have never been separated from him. Do you people who are being so punitive over this dilemma know what it is like to never be able to go anywhere with your husband because you are too worried to leave your dog? I am about to leave my dog with a local dog walker/sitter in her apartment. My dog really loves her but I keep thinking it will be difficult for him living with three other dogs, and that is for 5 days so I can go and see my son who lives 3,000 miles away. I have no idea whether he will fret or not, but people matter too, as I am so frequently being told.

by Anonymousreply 9702/22/2013

bumping this thread for advice. me and my partner are planing a long road trip and were going to take our dog but she is starting to go into heat. should we take her or leave her at home. want what is best or the dog. anybody gone through this before.

by Anonymousreply 9807/05/2014

Dogs have no idea of time, eh? When I would leave my border collie in kennels for a week, she would sulk for exactly one week when I would come to pick her up. I would become invisible to her, not worth even recognizing my existence. Two weeks = two weeks of sulking. Three weeks = three weeks of sulking.

Gotta go. We always go on her morning walk at 9 a.m. She is checking her watch now.

by Anonymousreply 9907/05/2014

OP, another small random tip is one I got years ago watching the "Animal Psychic" Sonya Fitzpatrick's show on Animal Planet.

She used to make 'house calls' and 'talk' to various people's pets, i.e., dogs, cats, guinea pigs, snakes, zoo animals, you name it. The things she allegedly picked up from communicating with the animals were pretty interesting. (One dog told her he didn't like the placement of his new dog dish and the owner had just moved it a couple of days prior to Sonya visiting. Another cat told her that she always got upset when her 'person' got their suitcases out of the closet, etc)

Re going out of town, Sonya told the cat owner to communicate with her cat about her upcoming travel the same way she would with a 5 yr old child. For example, if the owner had a 5 yr old and had to go on a business trip for 3 days she would naturally always make it a point to to tell her child that she had to go away for a few days, explain why she had to be away, and let the child know when she would return. Sonya said animals need the same clarity just so they know what's going on. Animals like to be kept informed just like kids do.

She told the owner to call her cat in and tell him something along the lines of, "I have to go away for my work for 3 nights but (housesitter) will be staying here and taking care of you while I'm away. She will make sure you get all of your food and water and treats and will take you for walks and play with you. I will be coming back in 3 days."

When Sonya followed up with the owner down the road, the owner told her that her cat seemed more accepting of the business trip situations and seemed less stressed once things were explained to them.

Yea, some people will find this post beyond ridiculous but I always explain to my pets if I am going to be out of town and that the house sitter will be taking care of them, etc and it seems to calm them down more. If I know ahead of time that I'm going to be home extra late, I will also tell them that ahead of time as well.

I have really tried to use the "Keep your pets informed" routine and it's been helpful. It's not a cure-all but I have noticed they do seem more accepting if I at least try to tell them what's going on.

I haven't seen Sonya's show on Animal Planet in years so I don't think it's on anymore but you can see some of her work on You Tube and she's also written some books and has a website.

by Anonymousreply 10007/05/2014

Yes, your dog will be traumatized. Not to worry, I am sure you will rationalize your behavior and do what you want. You always do. I would never voluntarily leave my pets for 3 weeks. Never!

by Anonymousreply 10107/05/2014

I'm traumatized that you waited 3 years to reply to this thread, R101. Have you been in a kennel?

by Anonymousreply 10207/05/2014

Ridiculous. Your dog will be fine. For this period of time it is much better to have the dog kenneled. You know it is with responsible people, professionals, will get fed and groomed, and if anything health wise pops up they will immediately know what to do.

You have a friend house sit or stop by to take care of your dog you are getting someone who isn't a professional or emotionally invested in the dog. As good as friends may be it happens. "Oh I had a long day at work today. I went yesterday. He'll be fine until tomorrow." That kind of thing. And in three weeks a lot can pop up. What if your friend has an emergency?

Your dog, for that period of time, is in much better hands at a kennel. There will be other dogs, new smells, new people, plenty of stimulus so that the time will fly for a dog.

by Anonymousreply 10307/05/2014

People are saying three weeks is too long for a dog to be kenneled. The length of time is exactly why they should be kenneled.

by Anonymousreply 10407/05/2014

Each time(but not since 2005 and never again) we kennelled our dog it was very bad for the dog, very bad.

by Anonymousreply 10507/05/2014

Oh god I got suckered into a bump.

by Anonymousreply 10607/05/2014

and nobody answered my question

by Anonymousreply 10707/05/2014

Well R107, the only thing I'd have to say is that I'm not sure a kennel would take her if she's in heat, so that might not be an option. How long are you planning to be gone?

by Anonymousreply 10807/05/2014

R102...Touche! That's what I get for not reading the posting date.

by Anonymousreply 10907/05/2014

Little thing -- make sure they all know how long you will be gone. I almost lost kitty when we went to Europe for five weeks, not one as they thought. Fortunately, I had called to check on her.

by Anonymousreply 11007/05/2014

OP, people like you should not have dogs!

by Anonymousreply 11107/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!