Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Aileen Wuornos

I can't believe what a hell her life was. It doesn't excuse the crimes she committed, but damn. Are all of the abuse stories, childhood rape stories and living in the woods homeless true? I can't believe this could happen to a child.

by Anonymousreply 7911/13/2012

Aileen Wuornos was the mass murderer played by Charlize Theron in Monster.

by Anonymousreply 203/20/2011

Thank you, R2.%0D

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2011

Jesus, r1. GOOGLE!

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2011

r1 is and has been in a coma for the last seventy years. Welcome back! We forgot about you!

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2011

It's not OP's fault you're ignorant, R1. I'm not even American and I know exactly who she is. And when someone mentions someone I haven't heard of, I type their name into Google.

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2011

I can see your not being up on your serial killers R1. But the movie about her is pretty well known and the actress that played her won the Best Actress Oscar for it.

by Anonymousreply 703/20/2011

R2 apparently sold the rock he's been living under for an $18 DL subscription.

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2011

But I bet R1 knows the name of each and every obscure fashion model of the 1980s

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2011

You are a fucking moron r1.

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2011

It was an incredibly sad story, op. The abuse, pregnancies and horrible childhood.

The movie didn't do her story justice

by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2011

She needed to be locked up, but I feel like the people that decided she should be executed were disturbed. There's tons of murderers sitting around in prison who don't have half the hideous horrible life she did.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2011

She used to throw parties (as a child) to get others to like her. They ended up kicking her out of her party.

Living in the woods at age 13, like an animal.

All true. No wonder she ended up like she did.

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2011

I watched a documentary about her recently. She was clearly mentally ill and clearly dangerous.%0D %0D I find it revolting that we kill anyone in the name of justice and exceptionally loathesome that we kill the mentally ill/retarded.

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2011

She's the only serial killer I've wanted to hug.

by Anonymousreply 1503/20/2011

Wow, r1. Are you for real? Wow. Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal mix, there, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2011

"I feel like the people that decided she should be executed were disturbed"%0D %0D THE MAN who decided she should be executed later showed that he was a psychopath, indifferent to any loss of human life...%0D %0D And, R1, find out who that was for yourself...

by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2011

What always pissed me off was that it was her own lover who betrayed her...the same white trash skank who wanted Wournos to support her.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1803/20/2011

My opinion is opposite of r14's. The doc I saw in SF in the early 90s is linked below.

by Anonymousreply 1903/20/2011

Very sad story, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 2003/20/2011

R16 / R19 that may have been the one I watched. I saw it on Netflix within the past month.%0D %0D Did you find her sane/not mentally ill? %0D %0D Not trying to start a fight, I'm just honestly interested in your opinion. I find I am often a bad judge of character.

by Anonymousreply 2103/20/2011

One of the saddest scenes in Monster is when she goes to apply for that job and the asshole hiring rips her to shreds. No compassion for someone who is clearly mentally ill coming into your office.

by Anonymousreply 2203/20/2011

Not R16, but I don't think she was mentally ill; but I also don't believe you have to be mentally ill to kill.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2303/20/2011

I'm not sure if she was mentally ill, but she came off as extremely wounded to me. Also she was obviously really ignorant of how the world worked, like a child. Did she graduate from high school even?

by Anonymousreply 2403/20/2011

I LITERALLY just finished watching this movie for the first time about ten minutes ago.

Charlize Theron was terrific in the film. What a horrible story, though. That poor woman. As far as the film's telling of the events, she really led a tragic life.

As I said, Theron was very good (her performance lived up to the hype, I think), but the filmmaking itself was just so-so. Better than average, but not a masterpiece.

The biggest thing that stuck out to me (in a critical way) was the music choice that played over Aileen and Selby's parting scene at the bus station. I thought the music choice was wrong for the scene... in fact, I think it would have been more powerful if the music didn't start until they broke apart and walked to the bus.

But good film, though. More than a little sad.

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2011

Charlize Theron made Wuornos a sympathetic character.

Aileen herself -- in a documentary about her -- came across as manipulative, mentally ill and borderline personality disordered.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2011

I am not a "fucking moron".%0D %0D I'll bet if you asked a hundred people who that was, just showing the name, over ninety of them would have no clue.%0D %0D I even saw the movie "Monster" when it was released in the theaters.%0D %0D I don't think it's too much to ask for any poster, all posters, to include some context with their posts. Asking everyone to fucking google is a waste. YOU, the OP know already, and it'll take you no extra effort to type an additional sentence.%0D %0D I have no fucking clue while you're piling on me, when OP is the one that was the lazy asshole.%0D %0D When I post, I always include enough context for people to understand what the hell I'm talking about. It's what everyone [italic]should[/italic] do. If you can't be bothered, you shouldn't post.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2011

"As I said, Theron was very good (her performance lived up to the hype, I think), but the filmmaking itself was just so-so. "

Agreed, Theron really made the movie work. Within like 5 minutes you forget about the makeup job. One of the great performances of the 2000s. Ricci is just so bad it almost overwhelms the scenes with Selby. She should be movie jail for that travesty.

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2011

R27, You know it would be wonderful if there were such a thing on line that you could use to look up unfamiliar names.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2011

R29, you know, it would be really nice if someone could take a moment to type one sentence so that 90% of the people reading your post don't have to stop what they're doing and run to Google to try and decode your cryptic message. I mean, why force the waste of all that time and bandwidth, when it's so much easier and cheaper and more polite to just add a little context in your post?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2011

r30, you have it backwards, you mean 10% probably don't know who the OP is refering to and with that % you need to google it.

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2011

I don't understand why you think providing a little context is too much to ask.%0D %0D And you're insane if you think 90% of the people would recognize the name and know who it was. Deeply insane.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3203/21/2011

I've never seen the movie and I knew right away whom the OP meant.

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2011

Well bully for you, but that's pretty irrelevant, isn't it?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3403/21/2011

"I find it revolting that we kill anyone in the name of justice and exceptionally loathesome that we kill the mentally ill/retarded."

You do know there's a big difference between being retarded versus being mentally ill?

The crazed professor Amy Bishop, who murdered her colleagues, there's a current thread here, was clearly mentally ill, she certainly wasn't retarded!

by Anonymousreply 3503/21/2011

She's not crazy. She's just stupid and%EF%BB%BF uneducated like 50% of white Southerners.

by Anonymousreply 3603/21/2011

R27 posts six full paragraphs, most starting with "I", and tells everyone else what to do. Why anyone cares about R27/R1 at this point is beyond me. He's either a troll or an asshole and can't contribute meaningfully to the conversation. Why bother?

by Anonymousreply 3703/21/2011

R1 is very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2011

Someone give r1/r27 his own blog!

by Anonymousreply 3903/21/2011

Charlize did an excellent job portraying Aileen and the Oscar she won for that was wel-deserved. She got Aileen's mannerisms and speech down pat.

I think Aileen was just very wounded and she did not have a chance to make it in the world. She just survived and it seemed obvious she had borderline personality disorder. She had an explosive temper and then wondered why people did not like her. She also hated men but that was no excuse why she killed those men.

I watched those interviews of her from prison and the woman was just plain nuts. She was extremely paranoid. The look in her eyes was just plain scary. You can look into the eyes of someone and can tell they are mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 4003/21/2011

r36, she was born and grew up in Michigan. Her grandparents who adopted and raised her, Lauri and Britta Wuornos (typical Finnish names)were immigrants from Finland. I saw photos of Lauri and Britta as young and they looked nice and normal (could be mine grandparents, I'm from Finland).%0D %0D Alcoholism and strict discipline made them awful parents. Incest too happened, but as we know nowadays, that is not that uncommon, unfortunately. Remember Oprah.%0D %0D Of course she was mentally ill. Sociopathy is mental illness. There must be a biological factor, because her biological father was really crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4103/21/2011

And fucking r35, expecting us to know who the fuck Amy Bishop is. People like that should be shot.

by Anonymousreply 4203/21/2011

Aileen WUornos: I am not a serial killer. I killed a series of men.

by Anonymousreply 4303/21/2011

The name in the thread title definitely rang a bell for me, but the way some of you attacked R1 for not instantly knowing the name (and history) of a SERIAL KILLER - as if that knowledge one should have memorized - is beyond belief. %0D %0D I bet some of these people know the history of Aileen Wuornos but cannot tell you the breakdown of their 401K! %0D

by Anonymousreply 4403/21/2011

If you do not recognize the name of the person who is the subject of a thread, and choose not to search for more information about said person (which is as easy as pie in this wacky modern age of ours), then DO NOT RESPOND TO THE THREAD! How hard is that to understand? You don't know who we are discussing, and clearly don't care enough to find out, therefore you are either a moron or a troll. Move along.

by Anonymousreply 4503/21/2011

OooH, get the control freak's outburst at R45!

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2011

R35, yes I know there is a difference between being mentally ill and being mentally retarded. I was trying to say that I find it repugnant that we execute anyone who is mentally ill and I find it repugnant that we execute anyone who is mentally retarded.%0D %0D I'm not comfortable with the death penalty at all. It is cheaper to keep them in prison than pay for the appeals.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4703/21/2011

But R26, why can't someone who is mentally ill and manipulative be a sympathetic character? Are we only allowed to feel sorry for people who meet society's expectations of 'nice'? The woman had a horrific life of abuse and neglect, of course she's not going to be Mother Teresa. I still feel an enormous amount of sympathy when I watch her interviews or read about her. Sure, she did some awful things, but really, she never had a chance in life. It's sad for everyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2011

Compared to the animalistic life she led before her arrest, prison was good to her. She would have been happy there, if she hadn't been on death row and could have mixed with other women.%0D %0D All in all, she's better off dead than she ever was in life.

by Anonymousreply 4903/21/2011

R27, you should explain that you're 17 years old. Then people won't be calling you a moron when you ask stupid ass questions.

by Anonymousreply 5003/21/2011

Abuse does not make people savage unless they already were savage. Granted, savage people are probably more likely to face abuse. When I was growing up there was a runaway living in the woods nearby but he was nice.%0D

by Anonymousreply 5103/21/2011

by Anonymousreply 5203/21/2011

I completely agree with R28. Ricci is horrendous in the film which is a shame because Theron is magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 5303/21/2011

[quote]The name in the thread title definitely rang a bell for me, but the way some of you attacked [R1] for not instantly knowing the name (and history) of a SERIAL KILLER - as if that knowledge one should have memorized - is beyond belief. %0D %0D We are not attacking R1 for not knowing who it is or asking who it is. We are attacking him (and rightly so) for the tone of his post. If R1 didn't reply in such a bitchy queeny attitude R2 would have been the only one to respond to him. Plus he derailed the thread with his angry blabber.

by Anonymousreply 5403/21/2011

[quote]Very sad story, indeed.

r20 - Were you referring to r1?

by Anonymousreply 5503/21/2011

It's annoying when people start threads with little contextual information, but R1's outburst was over the top. The subsequent thread jacking was just ludicrous and embarrassing. Ultimately, a simple google search would answer the question. How can someone complain that they have to "stop what they're doing" to do a google search, when "what they're doing" is passively reading anonymous gossip [bold]on the internet[/bold]. How difficult is it to copy/paste some info and open a new tab for a google search, especially when you're already sitting at your computer, clearly not doing anything urgent?

Anyway, I recognized the name because much has been written about her, there was a prominent film a few years ago based on her life, and (like it or not) she's a figure from recent gay history. Yes, she's a serial killer, but a pretty notorious one. So is Jeffrey Dahmer, and everyone has heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 5603/21/2011

Jeffrey Dahmer?

by Anonymousreply 5703/21/2011

I don't know the names of many people who appear in threads - they're probably on a reality show, soap opera or are the newest pop sensation. Since I'm not a fan of pop culture, I almost always do not recognize the names.%0D %0D So I don't know why R1 is being so nasty when s/he doesn't recognize Aileen's name. Just pass over the thread, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 5803/21/2011

Is Aileen Wuornos a gay icon?

by Anonymousreply 5903/21/2011

Sorry, r14, I misunderstood your post.

I wrote r19 & signed it "r16." I didn't write r16 & have no idea why I signed that I did.

I made all sorts of mistakes on this thread...must have fatigued yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 6003/21/2011

[quote]All in all, she's better off dead than she ever was in life.

Apparently, that's what her lawyer thought, too.

The one person in the world who was supposed to advocate for her...basically told her to just accept the death penalty without a fight.

I personally don't think she was a serial killer. I think she was just trying to survive. Survive in a crazy, fucked up underworld that most of us could never comprehend and that mainstream society will never care about even when they dip their sticks into it.

It's been nearly 20 years since I saw the first doc. I found a review of it which includes these tidbits that refresh my memory:

[quote]Both Pralle [italic]("adopted mother") [/italic]and Glazer [italic(lawyer)[/italic] try desperately to get their piece of the action, promising Broomfield [italic](director)[/italic] that he can have an interview with Wuornos and all her personal effects for a mere $25,000. In the interim, however, the prisoner is rotting away in jail.

[quote]he[italic](director)[/italic] uncovers a bit of media-scheming on the police department's side that results in a lieutenant's resignation

Aileen Wuornos was a product of our society...sacrificed so the rest of us wouldn't feel guilty about our dark sides. Can you imagine a child surviving alone in the woods? The abuse (torture) she suffered. Do you know how truckers treat their whores? Daytona Beach is slimy.

And once captured, all society did was point & recoil, or point & laugh, or point & cash in.

Nobody gave a shit about her. Not one single person. And I empathize with her: what would I have done in her situation? What would anyone have done? She did what she needed to do to scrape along. Should she have just let them kill her like countless other highway prostitutes buried across America?

She did not deserve to die. She was NOT better off dead. Who the hell are we to say so?

I wish all the victims of human trafficking & slavery were able to fight back like Wournos did.

We indeed created a Monster. She repulsed us so much she had to die.

by Anonymousreply 6103/21/2011

I think r1 is right on the money. So much poor Aileen Wuornos in this thread, well guess what, barely anything in here is making someone like me, who didn't know anything about the woman understand her. But that's ok, I guess I should just google her and read her whole life story huh? So much for good conversation and people informing others.

by Anonymousreply 6203/21/2011

R61, did you see the follow up to that documentary? It was called Aileen: LIfe and Death of a Serial Killer. The original film maker willingly testified at her second trial, along with pro bono anti-death penalty lawyer who defended her on the grounds that her original lawyer was ill equipped to handle her original case. During the retrial she refused to testify on her own behalf because she wanted to die, and she elaborated why when the film maker interviewed her at the end. Her insanity at the end of that documentary is the most heartbreaking part of her whole story.

by Anonymousreply 6303/21/2011

I want to marry R57.

by Anonymousreply 6403/21/2011

Why all the sympathy OP for a fucking woman who bludgeoned men to death.

by Anonymousreply 6503/21/2011

Burn in hell Aileen!!

by Anonymousreply 6603/21/2011

R54, are you unaware of the tradition of cunty R1 posts?%0D

by Anonymousreply 6703/21/2011

Read R61, R65.

by Anonymousreply 6803/21/2011

Wow this thread ended up being about a dumbfuck instead of the person.

by Anonymousreply 6903/22/2011

Agree wholeheartedly with everything R61 said, except the last part - "We indeed created a Monster. She repulsed us so much she had to die."

I don't think she was that big of a deal that she was repulsive or that 'we' had to kill her. She was a victim of "Southern" justice where the straight white male is supreme and women are to know their place. The judges who ran her trials (and let that pathetic excuse for a lawyer - what a joke - stay on her case) were older white men who practice that kind of justice as part of their nature.

by Anonymousreply 7003/22/2011

I agree somewhat, r70.

But "we" were obsessed with her: the media constantly sensationalized (and demonized) her. She was a highway prostitute. She had a same-sex relationship. She killed her johns. Therefore, she was a man-hating lesbian serial killer.

I'm trying to think of any well-known openly gay figure of that was before Ellen. Elton John was "bi-sexual."

by Anonymousreply 7103/22/2011

Please, stop with bleeding heart and excuses. Many people in this world have suffered horribly. Too many. Have they all turned into serial killers? The numbers of abused children in this country alone are horrifying. Upon reaching adulthood have they all turned into serial killers? No, society did not make this woman a serial killer . . she made herself a serial killer; she decided this was how she wanted to live her life. She decided there was no alternative.%0D %0D Next you bleeding hearts will be crying over Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacey and Jeffrey Dahmer.

by Anonymousreply 7203/22/2011

Where are the bleeding hearts and excuses? Who has said Wuornos did nothing wrong? Who has said she didn't deserve to be punished?

She did some terrible things, but I don't see why that means nobody can feel desperately sorry for her. I don't get people who think only 'nice' (or what fits into their sheltered, middle class idea of nice) deserve sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 7303/22/2011

I don't think she was a serial killer. She had to take justice into her own hands because cops don't think prostitutes can be raped. Johns sometimes beat up their whores or even kill them. It's almost a perfect crime: nobody knows the prostitute is even missing.

How many prostitutes have been murdered? Aileen had a dangerous "job." She had to do what she had to do.

Those johns did not have clean hands.

by Anonymousreply 7403/22/2011

She doesn't really fit the pattern for serial killer. Women rarely if ever do. She's more of an armed robbery type. But yeah, it must have been cathartic for her to rob then kill them after the shitty way she'd been treated by men all her life.%0D %0D Even if she wasn't a murderer, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near her explosive temper.

by Anonymousreply 7603/22/2011

shw was not a mass murdere.. she killed 7 men in the central florida highways

by Anonymousreply 7711/12/2012

The most horrific thing about Wuornos is the unending horror that her life was. No surprise that she did what she did.

by Anonymousreply 7811/12/2012

Ricci was so bad in that movie it effectively ended her career while doing the opposite for the divine Theron. She now has to do small parts on TV shows that get cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 7911/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!