Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Excalibur (1981 film)

Watching it now; it was the first R rated movie I saw.

Some fun facts -- early film appearances of Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, and Gabriel Byrne.

The actor who played Lancelot (Nicholas Clay) was BEAUTIFUL. A couple of scenes with his naked ass. (Too bad he passed away far too young at 53 in 2000).

There were 2 actors who played Mordred (the son of Arthur and Morgana). The younger actor is Charley Boorman, the son of director John Boorman. Charley is the guy who took a motorcycle trip with Ewan McGregor in "Long Way Round." The older actor, Robert Addie, died back in 2003 at the age of 43. His beautiful blue eyes are striking!

John Boorman cast Nicol Williamson and Helen Mirren opposite each other as Merlin and Morgana, knowing that the two were at the time on less than friendly terms, due to personal issues that arose during a production of Macbeth seven years earlier. Boorman felt that the tension on set would come through in the actors' performances.

Plus it has Helen Mirren in a metal breast plate!!

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 4612/30/2012

I love Excalibur. Morgana and Arthur having sex = hot.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 103/19/2011

There's a scene near the beginning where Gabriel Byrne has sex with some woman while he's wearing armor that I found deeply arousing as a teenager.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 203/19/2011

he's having sex with Igraine (who will get pregnant of Arthur)

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 303/19/2011

Boorman also tried to make Charlie happen in "The Emerald Forest" but that didn't quite work out, either.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 403/19/2011

Love that movie, but I never knew Gabriel Byrne was Uther.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 503/19/2011

Mirren is really sexy here.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 603/19/2011

An%C3%A1l nathrach,

orth%E2%80%99 bh%C3%A1is%E2%80%99s bethad,

do ch%C3%A9l d%C3%A9nmha

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 703/19/2011

Nicol Williamson was a troublemaker & freak. It took a white male British gamble to cast him even that early.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 803/19/2011

After college, I met a young military officer who told me that Excalibur was the film of choice among the cadets at West Point -- knights, blood, boobs, they were crazy about it.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 903/20/2011

I thought the movie opens with Nicol Williamson as Uther. I had the VHS at home when I was 11. It was the very first time I actually saw anyone have sex in a movie.%0D %0D Who was Morga Le Fey? Wasn't Merlin somehow implicated in all theSteamy goings on? I mean, if memory serves he was the puppetmaster, wasn't he? Didn't Arthur's sister hang out with him. He had to be fucking someone. Who was the mean little boy who went riding around on a horse with a gold mask?%0D %0D I'm so fuzzy on details!

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1003/20/2011

Incredibly skilled filmmaking. This is my favorite take on the King Arthur legends. Boorman at his best. "Excalibur" and "Hope and Glory" make a fantastic Boorman double feature.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1103/20/2011

R11, yes! I love "Hope and Glory," one of my very favorite flicks.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1203/20/2011

I remember being gobsmacked by this movie. After the credits rolled, I just sat in the chair. I also remember the movie got a standing ovation (I went with my dad on opening weekend... I was in my early teens).%0D %0D I thought the movie was just beyond amazing.%0D %0D I've seen it again since, and I don't think it holds up all that well. MOST of it does, but the older Arthur really couldn't act. Everyone else was great.%0D %0D And oh, that music. That music was so perfect.%0D %0D And Merlin was amazing, as was Morgana.%0D %0D Indeed, even now, it is my favorite retelling of the Legend of King Arthur.%0D %0D

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1303/20/2011

Damn you R7! I memorized words to that damn spell that Morgana says back in the 80's and remember them to this day.

I came here to gloat about it and you beat me to it. But just to bug you, this is how I say it (all words spelled phonetically, as I'm as far from medieval as you can get)

"ahnal nathrack uthras bethud dothyel dyenvay"

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1403/20/2011

Not just WP cadets, R9. I remember when this movie came out, it was a big hit in the urban areas too. A lot of my schoolmates (black, Hispanic) saw this and theaters got pretty large audiences. It was spectacle for its time, and just a damn good movie.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1503/20/2011

"A couple of scenes with his naked ass."

Isn't that kind of unusual for a King Arthur film?

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1603/20/2011

Richard Wagner should take a lot of the credit.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1703/20/2011

R14, do you suppose if I look at the supermoon tonight and recite that, I'll have all my wishes come true?

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1803/20/2011

R17, that's one of the things I love about Boorman, he uses music to great effect.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 1903/20/2011

I loved Excalibur, and believe it's a cult classic, but I think it's time for an update.I really don't think anyone has yet made a really good movie about the Arthurian Legend.%0D %0D I know there was a shiteous mess with Richard Gere as Lancelot, in First Knight, and the Clive Owen one, and the then the Vanessa Redgrave/Franco Nero one. I don't count Camelot with Richard Burton. It was a musical.%0D %0D I wish someone who's really competent would make an updated Excalibur. That opening scene alone would be worth it.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2003/20/2011

The green cast of light on the armour, the swords, the helmets. That's what I remember about the film. I believe it's coming out on blu-ray.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2103/20/2011

I liked that Guinevere was feisty and fun, not a anemic blonde ever waiting passively for the next thing.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2203/20/2011

[quote] and the then the Vanessa Redgrave/Franco Nero one. I don't count Camelot with Richard Burton. It was a musical.

So was "the Vanessa Redgrave/Franco Nero one." It was the movie version of "Camelot."

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2303/20/2011

[quote]I memorized words to that damn spell that Morgana says back in the 80's and remember them to this day.

Here's an interesting note about said spell.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2403/20/2011

Anyone remember Excalibur in Hoboken?

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2503/20/2011

What are you talking about that the older Arthur couldn't act, r13? it was the same actor.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2603/20/2011

Anal nitrate

Up his behind

Do cheat dementia

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2703/20/2011

Nicolas Clay's ass was one of the wonders of the world.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2803/20/2011

I remember seeing a lot more than just Lancelot's ass, you could see almost everything he had, and boy did he look good.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 2903/20/2011

Here's Nicholas Clay in Lady Chatterly's Lover

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3003/20/2011

The guy who played the elder Mordrid died? That's so sad. I thought he was HOT AS FUCK in the movie.%0D %0D What did he die of, at such a young age?%0D %0D

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3103/20/2011

R31- He played Lancelot. Was it cancer?

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3203/20/2011

Lung cancer, according to IMDB.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3303/20/2011

R30, those hips and ass look womanly

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3403/20/2011

In two weeks "Excalibur" will be thirty years old. It opened April 10, 1981. It opened at Number One at the box office followed by Sylvester Stallone in "Nighthawks" at Number Two.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3503/20/2011

I was a senior in high school and this was the ONLY time I ever played hooky (what can I say? I was a good boy). Some friends and I saw this and I too was blown away. Sexy, violent, glamourous, dramatic, what more could you want from a movie? Last summer I showed it to my class, so it's being passed down between the generations.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3603/20/2011

It is amazing how well the film holds up. With the exception of "Lancelot Du Lac" no other film gets to the core of Arthurian legend. In grad school, I took a medieval seminar and this film was the stuff of legend. Even the professor could quote at length from it.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3703/20/2011

Most literary scholars agree the legend is fundamentally unfilmable, which gives rise to one sorry attempt after another.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3803/20/2011

Then most literary scholars haven't seen "Excalibur." It's perfect and can never be equalled.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 3903/20/2011

When I saw it, it was playing as a double bill with "Enter the Dragon," which was the film I went to see. When "Excalibur" began (after "EtD" ended), I thought I'd check it out for a few minutes and leave if it seemed like crap. Turned out that I not only stayed to watch the whole thing, but ended up enjoying it a lot more than the Bruce Lee movie I initially came to see.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 4003/21/2011

Wasn't it unusual to have nudity in a mainstream film in those days?

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 4103/21/2011

I was a kid when that movie came out ... but we didn't have a VCR yet. Kept sneaking into the theater showing EXCALIBUR after some stupid ass APPLE DUMPLIN' GANG epic or whatever was parent approved at the time.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 4203/21/2011

Love Cherie Lunghie, the beautiful actress playing Guenevire, who was superb in PBS's The Buckaneers and is one of the (internationally) unsung gems of British acting.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 4303/21/2011

i remember seeing this film as a teenager and being completely smitten with Nicholas Clay. I must have masturbated dozens of times to memories of him in and out of that armor!

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 4403/21/2011

[quote]Wasn't it unusual to have nudity in a mainstream film in those days?%0D %0D No

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 4503/21/2011

It's on NOW on BBC America. Great movie.

by Its a Netflix kind of nightreply 4612/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.