Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bernadette Peters lipsyncing "Love is Good for Anything that Ails You" in PENNIES FROM HEAVEN

Sorry. Patti. This is what it's like to be hot, and to have genuine star charisma.

by Anonymousreply 8510/28/2014

LOve her in this movie! Were she and Steve Martin a true love item? Is her rumored homosexuality more recent, or was she always bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2012

She really was beautiful back then. Still is, in a "senior" kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 201/21/2012

She's sensational. I saw that movie in a theater with a big screen---it was phenomenal. I thought Herbert Ross was a hack until I saw this movie.

Ida Sue McCune is the actual singer.

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2012

I kind of think she's more beautiful now.

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2012

Fabulous movie.

Thank you Ozone Park.

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2012

Something's in the air. Not sure why, I suddenly decided to look for and watch a YouTube clip of this just this morning. Hadn't seen it since the movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2012

that was truly an oddly undervalued film.

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2012

I am not a fan of Steve Martin but I guess he was decent in this because I really liked the movie.

by Anonymousreply 801/22/2012

I SO wish she were a lesbian.

At least we have Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 901/22/2012

I LOVE this film. It was so unfairly criticized when it came out, and I think it's due for a re-evaluation. Bernadette looked amazing in it.

by Anonymousreply 1001/22/2012

But, aren't there a lot more stories about BP's same-sex exploits than JA's, R9?

by Anonymousreply 1101/22/2012

Bernadette Peters doesn't have a lick on Julie Andrews when it comes to lesbian conquests.

by Anonymousreply 1201/22/2012

I think it was under-valued because people back then didn't know how to appreciate this movie the way we would now. Meaning, today, it would be released as an art film, like Little Voice, or something that gains momentum through Sundance. It was likely very ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 1301/22/2012

Loved the movie and lip synching. Chris walken was wonderful in it. And bernadette won the best actress golden globe!

by Anonymousreply 1401/22/2012

It's a shame, almost a lost film now. They released it at Christmas and tried to sell it as a happy go lucky musical which of course it wasn't. I was theater manager and we played to an empty house. Met Bernadette a couple of times and I have the DVD signed by her.

by Anonymousreply 1501/22/2012

This was Steve Martin's follow up to The Jerk; people didn't want to see him in a drama.

by Anonymousreply 1601/22/2012

Watching The Jerk again right now for the first time since I was a little kid. It's so funny.

by Anonymousreply 1707/21/2012

If only she ONLY lispynced.

by Anonymousreply 1807/21/2012

Ripping off Busby Berkeley has NEVER been more fun!

by Anonymousreply 1907/21/2012

I found Vernel Bagneris oddly sexy in his dance sequence to the title tune. I love that they played the whole prelude to the song.

by Anonymousreply 2007/21/2012

Best scene in that movie was Christopher Walken's tap-dancing striptease to "Don't Misbehave".

by Anonymousreply 2107/21/2012

OOOPS! "Let's Misbehave", of course.

by Anonymousreply 2207/21/2012

Dammit, why does that Walken clip have to be out of sync?

There is a clip of Bernadette doing "All That Jazz" from a Carol Burnett show that would be awesome if it wasn't just a tad out of sync too.

by Anonymousreply 2307/21/2012

Steve Martin was so handsome

by Anonymousreply 2407/21/2012

Major Bouvier at the end!

by Anonymousreply 2507/21/2012

I love, love, love this film but Steve was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 2607/21/2012

Another triumph for the Boswell Sisters!

by Anonymousreply 2707/21/2012

Honestly I've never seen that and wanted to and was open to being wowed but I found it just good, not great. I mean its a really competent performance but I just don't thing she has the STAR sparkle of a Judy Garland, Marylin Monroe or Lucille Ball--its like below their level--its "Broadway Star" not STAR STAR.

by Anonymousreply 2807/21/2012

You have another definition of "Broadway star", then. They have to kill without the benefit of editing and re-takes. Yes, plenty of theatre types give too much on screen. But holding an audience is harder onstage than onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 2907/21/2012

i loved it so much that I taped it off of one of the premium channels when it came out in the 80s. I have a small tv with a VHS player just so I can play tapes like these. All the numbers are incredible and the story is great. "I want nice things, Arther" (one of my favorite lines). An original.

by Anonymousreply 3007/21/2012

The movie is wonderful in its way but pales in comparison to the original British miniseries starring Bob Hoskins.

by Anonymousreply 3107/21/2012

Yes, @30, I remember that! He's rather lean and swarthy...w/a rather sculpted ass in those tight pants.

by Anonymousreply 3207/21/2012

Audiences just didn't GET this movie. They thought since Steve Martin was in it it would be a wacky comedy. It sure wasn't that, although it had plenty of amusing moments. I really liked it.

by Anonymousreply 3307/21/2012

The movie is really designed to be seen on a big screen. A lot of the visual style is lost when it's viewed on a laptop or TV.

by Anonymousreply 3407/21/2012

The original British mini series was much better.

by Anonymousreply 3507/21/2012

I never liked Bernadette; she always rubbed me the wrong way with her face. Her face and her voice bugged the hell out of me...

by Anonymousreply 3607/21/2012

I love this clip of Bernadette singing "All that Jazz" on Carol Burnett. She nails it and looks very, VERY sexy. The gay dancers are also quite hot.

by Anonymousreply 3707/21/2012

I'm in awe of Walken. I had no idea he had such a wide range of talent Amazing chops. He floored me.

by Anonymousreply 3807/22/2012

Is there a more underrated film?

by Anonymousreply 3907/22/2012

I wonder if Peters was considered for the revival of Chicago? It was intended to star Liza, who wasn't going to be able for heavy duty dancing at that stage...

by Anonymousreply 4007/22/2012

Any truth to the rumor that Bernadette was featured on "The Carol Burnett Show" because she had a fling with Carol?

by Anonymousreply 4107/22/2012

Love this film!!! Saw it for the first time when I was in my early teens. The scene with Jessica Harper putting lipstick on her tits creeped me out.

by Anonymousreply 4207/22/2012

I just watched Pennies From Heaven on TCM after reading this thread - great coincidence.

What a lovely, bittersweet film. Bernadette is heartbreaking, and I have come to reevaluate Steve Martin. I always thought he was a ham, but he must have considerable depth to make a movie like this.

I guess mainstream audiences were expecting Martin to wear an arrow on his head and sing "King Tut" for the umpteenth time. What a shame that this movie has been overlooked. I think it will definitely resurface over the coming years as a a gem of American cinema.

by Anonymousreply 4302/21/2013

I'll add my two cents,ha!,and just agree with everyone here. Love,love,love this movie. I used to have the VHS ,and the sound track on two cassettes.

by Anonymousreply 4402/21/2013

Bump for Boswell Sisters "It's the Girl" mentioned on the Midler thread. Love this movie--the only bit of a miscast is Steve Martin, though his dancing is pretty good. Vernel Bagneris' number is the film's standout. Worth the bump!

by Anonymousreply 4510/25/2014

No love for Jessica Harper?????

by Anonymousreply 4610/25/2014

Bernadette Peters? I thought that it was Madeline Kahn...

by Anonymousreply 4710/25/2014

The clips in this thread are marvelous--pure gold!

by Anonymousreply 4810/25/2014

God, I love Bernadette Peters.

Always have, always will.

by Anonymousreply 4910/25/2014

Pity she never was able to have a career in pictures.

by Anonymousreply 5010/25/2014

When I saw this in a theatre, two old biddies sitting in front of me got up and left after the lipstick on the nipple scene.

by Anonymousreply 5110/25/2014

Chris Walken sure was limber.

by Anonymousreply 5210/25/2014

The lipstick on the nipples think freaked me out. Jessica Harper's tits were so small and strange. I'd only see Playboy ones at that age.

by Anonymousreply 5310/25/2014

I love everything about this film except for Steve Martin.

by Anonymousreply 5410/25/2014

You call that lip syncing?

by Anonymousreply 5510/25/2014

Bernadette had a chance to frump it up a bit in both Gypsy and Follies and go to a darker place but instead she opened up her old bag of kewpie doll tricks and blew both opportunities. If Laurents had directed her in Gypsy he might have been able to pull a performance out of her but Mendes really fucked that one up.

by Anonymousreply 5610/25/2014

r56 I liked her in Gypsy (better than Patti actually)_

Arthur Laurents and Michael Riedel savaged that performance for no good reason.

by Anonymousreply 5710/25/2014

What is it about some gay men which makes them get off on imagined petty rivalries between women?

by Anonymousreply 5810/25/2014

[quote]What is it about some gay men which makes them get off on imagined petty rivalries between women?

We learned it from "The View"

by Anonymousreply 5910/25/2014

So do I r49. What I wouldn't give to have seen "Mack and Mabel", which I'm convinced would have been a hit if produced at a later time.

by Anonymousreply 6010/25/2014

The BBC series suffered from their production style of shooting the interior scenes on video and the exteriors on film, which made it look cheap overall.

Martin was miscast (he learned to tap dance for this movie) but he does well.

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the series on HBO, perhaps with Hugh Jackman as Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 6110/25/2014

I don't quite agree, R31. They're so different it's difficult to compare the US film with the UK miniseries, even though they are ostensibly the same story. The UK version is much darker, and the music choices reflect that.

That said, the US version treats the wife (Jessica Harper) like your standard sitcom bitch hag cunt, and it doesn't really work. The UK version is better in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 6210/25/2014

Her Rose was just a screamy mess. She literally shrieked all her lines in that. William. Shatner. esque. delivery.

Strangely enough, the times she's performed numbers from the show out of context, she's sold the shit out of them. It really might have been Mendes' fault. As assholish as Laurents was, he did make several good points about that production and actually felt Bernadette would have been a great Rose under the right circumstances.

Her Sally in Follies was a bit better, but still weird. She sang the score better than I expected, but I remember a few of her line deliveries getting huge laughs and I'm pretty sure those weren't supposed to be funny lines.

by Anonymousreply 6310/25/2014

So who was good as Sally?

My generation only saw Bernadette and the terrible Judith Ivey.

How was Dorothy Collins? Others?

by Anonymousreply 6410/25/2014

"I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the series on HBO, perhaps with Hugh Jackman as Arthur."

Jackman is too old; the protagonist should be young enough that his unrealistic expectations and failure to learn life's lessons seem tragic, rather than just stupid. And come to think of it, that's probably one reason that gray-haired Steve Martin seemed miscast.

Not that I want to see a remake of one of the most depressing films ever made, but who could play the leading roles? Who can sing, dance, act, and is under 35?

by Anonymousreply 6510/25/2014

[quote]Who can sing, dance, act, and is under 35?

Joseph Gordon Leavitt taps.

by Anonymousreply 6610/26/2014

I thought she was brilliant in GYPSY. Not quite on the level of Tyne Daly, acting-wise, but of course she sang it much better. I've seen four of the Broadway Roses - all but Merman. They were all great, all different - except LuPone, okay, but my least favorite. Talk about just "shouting" the lines.

by Anonymousreply 6710/26/2014

Dorothy Collins was the first, and definitive, Sally. No one has matched her.

by Anonymousreply 6810/26/2014

And he's a good actor, and can play an Everyman! (Jackman isn't good at Everyman characters) Good choice, R66.

by Anonymousreply 6910/26/2014

Uhhh, what about Jeremy whatsisname who was on Smash? He seems good at playing douchenozzles.

by Anonymousreply 7010/26/2014

"Dorothy Collins was the first, and definitive, Sally. No one has matched her."

Agree that Dorothy Collins was incredible as Sally, but unfortunately the media at the time focused on Alexis Smith's comeback and Dorothy was overshadowed.

by Anonymousreply 7110/26/2014

I'm not a fan of the show yet I've seen it three times out of curiosity and a sense that maybe someday they'll get it right (I saw Company several times before I realized what a good show it can be in the right hands, these are tough nuts to crack).

I've seen Donna McKenchinie, Judith Ivey and Bernadette as Sally. Of these, only McKechnie's Sally worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 7210/26/2014

R67 I loved Patti at City Center and in previews. But I saw her Rose several times during the run and she got bigger and louder because, obviously, no one was reigning her in. Too ad. I hated Peters as Rose. Her standby, Maureen Moore, was much much better.

by Anonymousreply 7310/26/2014

Tyne Daly will always be my favorite Rose. Sure, she didn't quite have the pipes, but when I saw her on that stage, I just saw Rose. There wasn't this diva-esque attitude that most big stars bring to the role, winking at the audience like "yep. I'm a big diva playing this big diva part and I've earned it." What I saw was Rose - a determined, scrappy, funny, sexy, charming, scary, and vulgar woman fighting for her life. She was deeply funny, heartbreaking, and real. It really was a brilliant performance.

From what I've seen/heard of Lansbury, she seemed to be the same vein. A shame I'll never be able to see her full performance.

And as for Sally in Follies, Dorothy is really the only way to go. It's weird, but I always wanted to see Betty White play that part in the 70's. She had a similar quality. That's really the big issue with casting this part. Sally is cute, not glam. Typically, they pick women who could easily be a Phyllis. Diane Keaton or Mia Farrow would have made good Sallys back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 7410/26/2014

Did you see me play Sally in Pomona?

by Anonymousreply 7510/27/2014

Sally is self-described in the show as overweight, with a tummy and bleached hair.

by Anonymousreply 7610/27/2014

Sally Struthers for Sally!

by Anonymousreply 7710/27/2014

People just didn't GET "Pennies From Heaven." They thought that since it starred Steve Martin it would be a typical zany Steve Martin vehicle. Of course it wasn't, and audiences didn't understand it at all. Too bad; it really was a good film.

I love the Christopher Walken striptease, but I think the "Pennies From Heaven" number with Vernel Bagneris is really the standout. It's beautifully, originally filmed and Bagneris is an amazing dancer.

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2014

Saw her front row during "ALNM" singing "Send in the Clowns" with genuine (well, Broadway genuine) tears rolling down her face. I had tears in my eyes by the end.

Lovely, strange, tiny woman. More talent in her little finger than I have in my whole body.

by Anonymousreply 7910/27/2014

Bernadette was magnificent in both Steve Martin films, but she clearly needs a strong director. When she doesn't have one, she looks a bit lost on screen. Her voice is on the decline (though the upper register/head voice remains exquisite - saw her in concert recently), I wonder if she has one last great Broadway show in her.

Anyone seeing her at the Into the Woods reunion in Orange County?

by Anonymousreply 8010/27/2014

These clips are awesome. I'm getting this from Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 8110/27/2014

Some people were worried that it would be a typical Herbert Ross film.

by Anonymousreply 8210/27/2014

"Pennies From Heaven" and "The Seven Per Cent Solution" are the best Herbert Ross movies.

by Anonymousreply 8310/28/2014

"The Seven Percent Solution" is a wonderful film, probably the most enjoyable Sherlock Holmes movie.

And "Pennies From Heaven" is the opposite of enjoyable. I don't think it failed because people were expecting a light-hearted musical, I expect it failed because few people like to have their hearts broke and spirits crushed on their evenings out. Downer films are always a hard sell.

by Anonymousreply 8410/28/2014

Glad to hear others know and like "The Seven Per Cent Solution". I went to see it again and again on its initial release. Surprised it hasn't received more attention in the current revival of interest in Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock, Elementary, the wretched Downey movies).

"Pennies From Heaven" IS work to watch the first time you see it. It helps to know what to expect and even then it's still surprising and startling. I would love to see it on a big screen. It came and went so fast on release that I never got to see it in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 8510/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!