Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Let''s Discuss Christopher Rice

I had always assumed his books were putrid and he was coasting off his mother's name into a publishing contract, but I got "A Density of Souls" from Audible, and surprised myself by enjoying it (although I was not confusing it with great literature).

Another month, another credit, and I figured I'd try "The Snow Garden," and, well, yikes.

Who's had him?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4810/19/2013

I am quite surprised that you find his books decent. He is heavily re-written by his editors so maybe he finally got a good one. I find him to be full of drivel and coasting both on Mama's name and being gay.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 103/19/2011

His most recent book, "The Moonlit Earth", was actually sort of good, but everything between it and "Density of Souls" was kind of a mess.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 203/19/2011

I dated him. He smells REALLY good. Sort of "full of himself" (will throw his mom's name in whenever he feels it will advance him in a situation). Very "pale" skin. Reddish bush - not shaved. Cut. GREAT kisser!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 303/19/2011

I wouldn't really consider himself a writer. More of a personality (based on mumsy's fame).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 403/19/2011

R3, what do you mean smells good? Cologne or the magnificent man musk???

by The Voice of the Nightreply 503/19/2011

[quote]He is heavily re-written by his editors so maybe he finally got a good one.

Those must be the editors his mom doesn't use.

I have Moonlit Earth on my Kindle and it's been....readable, I guess. Maybe I just have a harder time following an audiobook, but I don't think I could have followed "Snow Garden"'s plot with a GPS.

I've read worse books, but I doubt anyone would be giving him the time of the day if his name was "Christopher Smith" or something.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 603/19/2011

I love his first two books. The third one was kind of a mess, because he had to deal with his father's death during the writing process (had to ask the publisher to give him more time to finish - and still parts turned out like a mere afterthought).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 703/19/2011

I kinda know one of his editors. On his facebook recommendation I read the one about a marine and gay guy on the run for a crime they didn't commit. It was OK but not great.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 803/19/2011

A Density of Souls is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. It was an enjoyable read, but I have seen more realistic plotlines on Passions. I loved how all the straight football players fell in love with the protagonist (who Rice obviously modeled after himself -- a cute, rich twink in New Orleans whose father was a poet). Then, you had the hot incest sex...the anti-gay terrorist group blowing up the French Quarter...the hurricane at the end, which added absolutely nothing to the plot.%0D %0D [quote]I kinda know one of his editors.%0D %0D Did they ever tell him, "Sweetie, your story just doesn't make any sense?"

by The Voice of the Nightreply 903/19/2011

[quote]I wouldn't really consider himself a writer.

Most would say the same about you, Toots.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1003/19/2011

[quote]A Density of Souls is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. It was an enjoyable read, but I have seen more realistic plotlines on Passions. I loved how all the straight football players fell in love with the protagonist (who Rice obviously modeled after himself -- a cute, rich twink in New Orleans whose father was a poet). Then, you had the hot incest sex...the anti-gay terrorist group blowing up the French Quarter...the hurricane at the end, which added absolutely nothing to the plot.

I think if he'd omitted the incest stuff, I wouldn't have nearly as many reservations with the story as I did. Absent that, I think it read like a very strong story idea for a movie.

I mean, move it a few years forward and set it during Katrina, which, okay would push the Benjamin Button button a bit too hard, but I think it would work.

"Snow Garden" just seemed like a bunch of different plot elements thrown at a wall to see what stuck. Part of the problem was that I don't think a single character in the story was even close to likable.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1103/19/2011

I read The Snow Garden. Not bad, but he was trying too hard. Just too many things going on that were not resolved well.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1203/19/2011

[quote]"Snow Garden" just seemed like a bunch of different plot elements thrown at a wall to see what stuck. Part of the problem was that I don't think a single character in the story was even close to likable.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more it reminds me of an even more nonsensical take of Bret Easton Ellis' "Rules of Attraction."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1303/19/2011

So which Manning was the inspiration for the high school QB who is older. I always thought it was Cooper, but maybe Payton.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1403/19/2011

[quote]Part of the problem was that I don't think a single character in the story was even close to likable.%0D %0D VOTN, have you read his third novel, Light Before Day? His characters (and there are tons of 'em!) in that book are even more unlikable than the ones in The Snow Garden.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1503/19/2011

Even if I'd planned on continuing through his collected works, I was thinking I was going to skip that one. It has the lowest rating on Amazon, which I know isn't a mark of quality, but still.

I don't know, I like to support to community and give as many gay authors a shot on the rare occasions that I do get time to do leisure reading, and after Density of Souls, I was wondering if I'd just formed bad associations because of the nepotism. Apparently not.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1603/19/2011

Agree with those who kinda liked A Density of Souls. It was fun in a campy way.%0D %0D %0D %0D I haven't read any of his other books.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1703/19/2011

Agree with R17. I've actually reread it a few times.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1803/19/2011

He's the living proof of both genetics and that the sins of the mother are visited upon the son. And by extension on the rest of us.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1903/19/2011

R5 - his upper torso/neck was cologne; his "manly musk" was below the treasure trail. Smelled great down there - like he just showered with quality soap mixed with a trapped in my underwear smell.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2003/20/2011

R3 - is e a top or bottom? How big is his dick? Were his school years at Isidore Newman School as bad as Stephen's in A Density of Souls?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2103/20/2011

Average size dick - but pretty! He'll top if necessary, but prefers to bottom. Heavy cummer. He's a load moaner. Plays safe!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2203/21/2011

I decided to listen to "Souls" again between classes.%0D %0D I appreciate the Southern Gothic atmosphere, which hangs over the story like so much Spanish moss, but all the same, I guess no one ever taught him that less is more when it comes to storytelling (or he learned that from his mother).%0D %0D Amusing aside which I learned about recently:%0D %0D In its final season, Star Trek: The Next Generation did an episode where Doctor Crusher fell in love with a hunky ghost. While I've never read any of them, apparently the plot was completely ripped off one of Anne's Mayfair Witches stories, and not even a little. Somehow, between the airing of the episode and the release of the episode on DVD, a credit "Based Upon Material By Jeanna F Gallo" was slipped in at the tail of the end credits, not up front where writing credits usually go. This Jeanna Gallo has literaly no other credits for anything else, and this led a lot of people to believe that this was a pseudonym for Rice herself, and allowed her to get royalities without actually having to put her name on the actual episode (not that I blame her, it's awful and makes her Jesus FanFic look like Mrs. Dalloway by comparison).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2303/21/2011

"A Density of Souls" was like a New Orleans "Peyton Place" with hot teens. It was actually a lot of fun.

The problem was that Tina Brown signed him to an incredibly lucrative two-book contract when she was running Talk/Miramax Books, and his second book (can't even remember the title) was awful and sold even worse. I think the company lost their shirts on him.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2403/21/2011

I liked DoS. It wasn't perfect and I remember groaning when the THIRD jock fell for the protagonist, but I thought it was fun. But SG had me wondering what I was thinking. At some points either the plotting or the style changed so much I thought that another writer took up the story and didn't even try to imitate the author.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2503/21/2011

I'm sorry, but any book whose film rights are purchased by Harvey Weinstein before it's even written isn't worth my eyes' time.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2603/21/2011

With editing, DoS could make an interesting movie.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2703/21/2011

Who would you cast in a film version of DoS?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2803/21/2011

I really like Souls and Snow Garden. Was not crazy about the Light Before Day and didn't finish Blind Soul.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2903/21/2011

R28 - It seems like someone was recently thinking about fantasy casting.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3003/22/2011

[quote]It seems like someone was recently thinking about fantasy casting.%0D %0D If I knew who more than half of those people are, it might mean more to me.%0D %0D And it seems like the blogger didn't actually read the book, because almost none of those actors bear much resemblence to the characters described.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3103/22/2011

The guy she picked to play Stephen looks more like one of the jocks. I imagined a young Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Stephen, someone like that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3203/22/2011

I looked up his IMDB bio, and, granting that this probably falls under the Craigslist rule, it says he's 6'5". Which, just, no.

Also, the older brother is supposed to have Adonis DNA (and presumably tiger blood), and while I think Channing Tatum is a good-looking guy, "Adonis" would not be a descriptor I'd use for him.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3303/22/2011

He has a supernatural novel coming out next year, The Heavens Rise, that is set in New Orleans. Even though he has repeatedly said that he would never write another novel set in NOLA.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3410/02/2011

His mother also swore she was done with vampires and would stick to Jesus fanfic.

Turns out, Jesus fanfic doesn't pay like vampires.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3510/02/2011

[quote] Who's had him?

Who hasn't is a shorter list.

Among the bookseller crowd, he's known to be very flirty and will unzip at the first suggestion that someone wants to poke him in the pooper.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3610/02/2011

[quote]Who would you cast in a film version of DoS?

Someone asked Christopher on Twitter who he would cast and he said Stephen = Thomas Dekker, Brandon = Alan Ritchson, Jordan = Ben Gavin, and Meredith = Rooney Mara.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3710/02/2011

He was a big slut when he still lived in NOLA. He was always at the Bourbon Pub.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3810/07/2011

When I was about 15 I read three of his books one after the other. I adored A Density of Souls and quite liked Snow Garden. Light Before Day was my least favourite.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3910/08/2011

I heard from a VERY reliable source that he is concealing a pair of small vestigial wings and that he likes to sing opera in bed.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4009/28/2013

I read his first book, whichever that was...I was surprised how good it was until the end where it just fell apart. You'd think Anne would have made him fix the end.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4109/28/2013

He is a shit writer. He turns in drivel that editors re-write to cash in on Mama's name.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4209/28/2013

I wonder if Christopher displays his book reviews in a handsome frame on the wall, the way VOTN displays his diploma.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4309/28/2013

Looks like Chris himself was the one who bumped this 2 year old thread. Hi Chris!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4409/28/2013

That is too funny. I agree with most other posters: DoS is a great fun read. The Snow Garden, not so much, but still interesting. Couldn't even finish Light Before Day.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4509/28/2013

Has anyone read his new book, The Heavens Rise? If it's campy and trashy like Density of Souls, I want to read it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4610/19/2013

Liked his first one in a total trash read on the train home kind of way...as someone upthread posted Passion's was more realistic though the main character, obviously patterned after himself, is more Lily Walsh of ATWT EVERY hot guy, even straight guys (even family members) fell in love with him. Incest angle,creepy and weird and not in a good way, its like it was supposed to be romantic. I did like the "Snow Garden," as it made the first book look realistic...(that is the one where the jock gets "waxed," and displayed as an art piece,right???)

If he kept writing the over the top trashy quick reads and embraced that I would love him. But he seems to think he is an artist of the highest order.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4710/19/2013

I'd date him.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4810/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.